PDA

View Full Version : Importing Source models into 3Ds Max 2011?

Dowr
31-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Does anyone know how I can import models from the Source engine into 3DS Max 2011?
All of the tutorials I've found are either useless or dated.

Thanks if you provide any info.

FuriKuri!
31-12-2011, 11:53 PM
The source engine is pretty dated so you may be better off with an older version of 3dsmax as what you need is a working import (and possibly export) plugin and I have no idea if such exists for the latest version (I was modelling with version 6 at the time). Either way your google will be as good as mine on that account.

However, just an FYI since you don't mention how familiar you are with how HL models work - You can't just import a model file off the bat as these are compiled from a set of intermediary files - the reference model mesh, skeletal animations and some good ol' QuakeC to tie it together. You will need a tool to decompile a model into these components and then you will need the import plugin in 3dsmax to import these decompiled bits into 3dsmax. IIRC what you will want to do is import the mesh and then try and import a skeletal file - 3Dsmax should try and merge the animation into the mesh.

This was all too long ago for me to remember any of the specifics of tools I used but I definately recall milkshape 3d being indespensible for some reason! http://chumbalum.swissquake.ch/