PDA

View Full Version : Neptune's pride: The RPS community epic

Coccyx
02-01-2012, 02:35 PM
I've just read the rps diary of Neptune's pride that was posted earlier today. I am most intrigued. The game sounds brilliant, and I think the best way to enjoy it would be a game comprising solely of RPSers who would potentially be willing to write up their turns, ambitions, emotions, etc to create a similarly (If inevitably much more poorly written) epic compilation. Anyone that wants to join would have to be of a similar skill level to the others, ie completely new to it. If I can't find enough people that want to write up their turns then I guess I'd be willing to just play a normal game regardless, though I do think we could make something interesting if we we all managed to commit. Who knows, it could even make for a good addition to the Sunday papers of the not too distant future.

Timmeister
02-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Hi there, posted on the actual site too but I'd be up for this! I'v been running a small gaming website for the last 6 months and I'm more than happy to post peoples turns there if you want. I have never played the game either. The site is mmgaming.net if interested, and like you said if nobody wants to write up their turns I'd still be up for a game!

Heliocentric
02-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Is the game really as monstrous as I think? That an attack started as you go to bed could savage your empire before you get up in the morning?

kirbyxox
02-01-2012, 02:53 PM
This game looks very good and i'm up for it as long as I can write it any style I want.

Coccyx
02-01-2012, 02:53 PM
There's... an element of that. But I'm sure such distinguished chums as we would never resort to such nefarious tactics as deliberately launching invasions at times when we know our opponents are other wise engaged....

Coccyx
02-01-2012, 02:55 PM
kirbyxox, I have to ask: what style do you plan on writing in? It must be pretty audacious if you have to check beforehand. I'm sure it'll probably be fine, I'm just curious.

kirbyxox
02-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Well I may do it in the style of being the character in the game and lead out to describing the game but I don't know much about it so i'm not sure if i'll be able to do this.

Coccyx
02-01-2012, 03:02 PM
That should be possible. Yes, why not? It could be interesting, so long as we don't all do it. Would you be sending messages while role playing as well? That could be quite funny, an account of you dealing with people that aren't role playing and vise versa.

kirbyxox
02-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Yes probably.

AyeGill
02-01-2012, 03:28 PM
I am most interested. Not sure how i would write it, but you can consider me in.

ALDI Nord
02-01-2012, 04:48 PM
I have still some "credits" lying around so if you tell me what you want I can set up a few private games for you guys.

edit:
I have enough credits to set up 7 games that would be free for people to join.
I will not join in playing because this game makes me a nervous wreck

Alix84
02-01-2012, 05:00 PM
I'd like to join in.
The whole writing of the story reminds me of Boatmurdered

Coccyx
02-01-2012, 05:15 PM
It looks like we're on. Someone with a website to post it to, someone with enough credits to make a private game - and enough interested people to play with! Pretty soon we're going to have to start talking about numbers, game set up and how we're going to organise the writing.

Alix84
02-01-2012, 05:22 PM
May I suggest that if this gets big enough that we start up a subreddit for it?

Heliocentric
02-01-2012, 07:12 PM
I will join bit I will not throw my life away playing it. If that doesn't sound dedicated enough choose someone else.

AyeGill
02-01-2012, 08:19 PM
So, should we start talking about getting a game set up? For writing, i figure we all just take notes along the way, then write a finished story up when we're done playing.

Coccyx
02-01-2012, 08:57 PM
I was wondering if maybe actually writing it while things are happening might be a better idea. I know that's not how they did it, but it might make for more interesting reading - and it circumvents the issue of forgetting exactly what was happening and what we felt like at the time. I think if we write it as we go, maybe an entry every couple of days when something important happens, we'll get a more compelling final piece. But hey, obviously I'll go with the majority. What do the rest of us think?

Somewhat Okay Shepherd
02-01-2012, 08:57 PM
I will gladly join AND throw my life away for this game! :D
Also, will write.

Coccyx
02-01-2012, 08:58 PM
What about player numbers? Does 8 sound about right? And glad to have you on board, Shepherd.

AyeGill
02-01-2012, 09:15 PM
It might, actually. When i consider it, that seems like a good idea. Obviously i defer to the majority vote as well, but i like the idea

8 seems like a good number.

Sgt_Squid
02-01-2012, 10:02 PM
I'd be interested in joining, if there's still room. Is there a chat room or steam group for people involved or wanting to be?

Dragon Master
02-01-2012, 10:06 PM
Have space for one more? Definitely up for this!

AyeGill
02-01-2012, 10:06 PM
There is now: steamcommunity.com/groups/RPSNPG

Coccyx
02-01-2012, 10:49 PM
It's beginning to look like we're going to have more applicants than spaces. I'm not sure we should do this as first come first serve, I've never liked that mentality or anything that encourages it. So... how do we resolve it? Only include the most committed? The best writers? The ones with normal sleep cycles and jobs who won't screw everyone else over when they can't get to their computers?

AyeGill
02-01-2012, 10:53 PM
If we're gonna have to throw some applicants out, i have a feeling i should volunteer. I would love to play, but i live in GMT+1 time, which may conflict with the rest of your cycles

Coccyx
02-01-2012, 11:08 PM
I think you'll be all right Gill, you've shown the most enthusiasm and drive of anyone so far. From the little I know, the system brakes when people launch massive extended invasions while others are away, an hour shouldn't matter too much.

Dragon Master
03-01-2012, 12:01 AM
GMT+2 can apply?

Well the most committed would be a more logical choice here, since from what I've read in the 'complete epic', trying to maneuver whenever your opponent isn't quite there is an important part of strategy making but as you said, that would screw everyone over.

The best writers? Well there is already quite awesome diary(which in fact, sparkled the whole thing), so trying to filter people on that criteria seems a bit reluctant. The actual players who will make it in may be able to scrape together something nice, heck, maybe something awesome and overshadowing, but that should come as a bonus to the whole and not determine who's included into that 'whole'. Then again it's a game and it shouldn't break the forth wall as to mess up people's lives for the duration, because really, how many of us here can claim they work with video games for a living? :P

In my most humble opinion(even more humbled by the fact that those 2 criteria are generally shunning me) it should be a balance between commitment and time cycles. It doesn't need to be a perfect balance at that, just making sure we don't turn into sleep-crazy people from paranoia of being fucked over. Oh and also we need to establish some form of communication so we can call cease-fire in emergencies. The whole idea is to keep it a bit more on the fun side then the writers. :)

CaptaiNapalm
03-01-2012, 12:45 AM
Hey there,

here is the current list of people who wants to play (and write) :
[13 people]

Coccyx
Timmeister (GMT)
Kirbyxox (GMT)
AyeGill (GMT+1)
Alix84 (GMT +3) (aka Alixander)
Somewhat Okay Shepherd (PST)
Sgt_Squid (PST)
Dragon Master (GMT +2)
CaptaiNapalm (GMT +1) (aka Sandbox)
Swubb (GMT +1)
nerflex (GMT +1)
Pseudo 310 (EST)
Blapp21 (GMT +1)

Oak
03-01-2012, 01:46 AM
Hello! If anyone's interested, a group of us took a crack at writing up a game a few months ago. You can read it here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?152-Neptune-s-Pride-Space-is-the-Place/page6&highlight=neptune's+pride

ALDI Nord
03-01-2012, 02:16 AM
I am not playing, however I will fund the game. That means I will create a game with the number of players and rules that you want in a galaxy of your choosing, the Game will be password protected and free to join.

As for the time-zones I would think that anyone Inside the EU should be able to join.

So when done someone just mail/pm/im/drum/smoke-signal/dove me with all your requirements for the game.
Telegrams will be accepted as well.

Somewhat Okay Shepherd
03-01-2012, 04:05 AM
Eh, I'm PST. I would really like to play, but I guess I can step down if one of my European bretheren needs me to do.

Sgt_Squid
03-01-2012, 04:45 AM
Heh. Me too. I was kinda hoping to still be able to participate, but I agree with Shepherd in saying I too would be fine with not playing, if need be.

Heliocentric
03-01-2012, 08:39 AM
I didn't mention it but I would certainly intend to write if I played. It's getting up at midnight to shuffle my fleets I was shunning.

Dragon Master
03-01-2012, 11:08 AM
If there are enough with PST you could start a second game. And wow...sponsors already? CaptaiNapalm can you update that list over time as well as the time zone for each player. As stated above I'm GMT(+2).

Timmeister
03-01-2012, 12:36 PM
I'm GMT just to let people know!

CaptaiNapalm
03-01-2012, 12:50 PM
List updated :) please submit your timezone.
ALDI NORD, can you check if non-premium can join premium password-protected game please ?

Timmeister
03-01-2012, 01:24 PM
CaptaiNapalm - Copied from the site

"Password Protected Private Games

[*=1]Create a game that only you and your friends can join by adding a password to a game.
[*=1]The premium games you create with a key are free for your friends to join so that they can enjoy the benefits of premium games too.

CaptaiNapalm
03-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Okay thx :)

swubb
03-01-2012, 02:16 PM
I'd love to join as well! My Time Zone is GMT+1

CaptaiNapalm
03-01-2012, 02:23 PM
In order to fasten the process I create a password-protected game on Baxter Galaxy (large scale), that free members can join.

I send to everyone in the list a PM with the url of the game and the secret password. There are 12 seats so everyone can play :D

How will we manage the diaries ?

CaptaiNapalm
03-01-2012, 02:27 PM
I PM you with the details Swubb, you're on the list, we still have 2 free slots ;)

Alix84
03-01-2012, 02:43 PM
I seem to have the latest timezone.
(GMT+3)

Sgt_Squid
03-01-2012, 03:13 PM
CaptaiNapalm,
I am PST. I hope it doesn't matter too much in the end, though.

CaptaiNapalm
03-01-2012, 03:47 PM
List updated (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?2549-Neptune-s-pride-The-RPS-community-epic&p=75910&viewfull=1#post75910), I add green color to flag people who are already in the lobby.

Current at 03/01
10/12 players
4/12 confirmed

Need timezone for

Coccyx
Kirbyxox
AyeGill

Coccyx
03-01-2012, 04:01 PM
I can't help but think certain people are jumping the gun. For a start, we need to make sure everyone playing is completely new to the game; someone with even a bit of experience who's only played one game could unbalance everything. Also, when I briefly checked out the various game options corresponding to different player numbers, the one with 12 spaces said 'make a game that could last all year'. That seems a bit too much for me; the site writers played with 8 and that seemed to go on for long enough as it was - you could tell they were all mentally exhausted.

Edit: In the custom settings for the game that Napalm set-up all of the research costs are set to 'expensive'. What's wrong with the standard amount?

nerflek
03-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Oh I'll play and write, I'm GMT+1! I have no experience with the game though, so I might not be the sharpest player.. :D

Edit: Touché Coccyx, thanks for pointing that out. I withdraw my application to the 12-man game, but I'll gladly join an 8-man.

CaptaiNapalm
03-01-2012, 05:00 PM
Good points Coccyx,
1/ I don't modify the settings, it's on Expensive because the game area is large and you have room to build science facilities.
2/ Yeah we clearly can't play for a year, but making it 8 is not a solution. I mean everyone disserve to play, and even if 3 are kindly enough to wisdraw their participation, it doesn't sounds like a good solution. We can make it 12 players and build custom settings to fasten the game. I primarly choose Baxter Galaxy because it means long game and I thought it would be cool to write a big galactic saga with a lot of points of view and climax and everything, but obviously their will be deads before the end of the third week.
3/ How can you check if someone is not a newbie ?

Coccyx
03-01-2012, 05:13 PM
We check by asking nicely. 12 players, 12 points of view - it's just too much. In an ideal world everyone could get involved. If enough people want to then I'm sure a second, separate game could be arranged. That's my view anyway, as I've already said I'll go with the majority.

kirbyxox
03-01-2012, 05:14 PM
GMT and ready to write!

ALDI Nord
03-01-2012, 05:26 PM
A 12 player game can last up to a year, however you can adjust the settings allowing for faster gameplay. Making research less expensive is one option.

CaptaiNapalm
03-01-2012, 05:34 PM
It looks like people continue to join, so here is my opinion : we wait for a few days and if 2 others join, we make a first 8-men game with volunteers and a second 6 or 8 game with everyone else. If nobody come, let's vote.

We also have to discuss map settings and diaries.

AyeGill
03-01-2012, 06:32 PM
I am GMT+1.

And i wholeheartedly support the movement to start two games.

Dragon Master
03-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Agreed with the majority, let's go for two! Also, relinking the steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RPSNPG don't forget to join(kudos to AyeGill)! And I'm a total newb to this game if it's any comfort to you. :P

ilves
03-01-2012, 08:27 PM
I would love to play, but I have a few #1 finishes under my belt, so playing against new players may not be fair/fun for all involved (not to say 2 players couldn't gang up early on and take me out). If you guys can't find all 12 I'll jump in, otherwise I'll leave it to new people who can write an first impression log.

Pseudo310
03-01-2012, 08:51 PM
I'd be interested in playing, but I'm EST (I think that's GMT -5).

CaptaiNapalm
03-01-2012, 09:49 PM
I add Pseudo310 to the list, can ilves play with us ?

AyeGill
03-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Not sure. I'll give him a shot if everyone else is willing to.

Just make sure we all watch that bastard.

ilves
03-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Not sure. I'll give him a shot if everyone else is willing to.

Just make sure we all watch that bastard.

ha, if everyone gangs up on me I have no shot, 3 on 1 is pretty much guaranteed death early, 2 on 1 may or may not depending on the circumstance but its pretty dang tough. The game is mostly about alliances and mind games, early and even early mid game everyone is pretty balanced in strength.

Blapp21
03-01-2012, 10:43 PM
I sure would like to play with you guys.

i'm not a good writer though and i would rather not write at all

my timezone is gmt +1

Coccyx
03-01-2012, 11:27 PM
Sorry Ilves, I still think it would mess the game up too much.

CaptaiNapalm
03-01-2012, 11:54 PM
Is writing the diary an obligation in order to participate ?

Sgt_Squid
04-01-2012, 01:07 AM
Maybe having some people not writing would be okay; like Coccyx said, reading 12 different perspectives may be a bit much. I would, however, be totally fine with writing, if it all works out.

Dragon Master
04-01-2012, 01:09 AM
I'd much rather we're all nabs...No offense but this is serious advantage we're talking about, and it's not even one game he's done before.

CaptaiNapalm
04-01-2012, 03:42 AM
I add Blapp21 to the list. Given that we are now 13, we will make 2 separate games.

I propose a regular 8 players game, 24 stars per player (medium game) with all default settings for the first game.

The second game can be a regular 8 players game or a 6 players version, on a smaller map (16 stars per player). Again, if more players join, we can extend it if a majority of participants agreed to.

For now I need 8 space conquistadors for Game #1 (feel free to apply) and comments about map settings.

Sgt_Squid
04-01-2012, 05:23 AM
Will both games be doing write ups? Aswell, are the groups going to be split time zone wise, or what?

nerflek
04-01-2012, 08:31 AM
Oh sweet, with two smaller games I'll happily join. And I would suggest splitting timezones equally unless there are enough to make a game with everyone in kind of the same zone, and maybe split up the games on diaries and non-diaries. I myself think it'd be fun to write (at least a log on major events), but I can go either way.

AyeGill
04-01-2012, 11:31 AM
I am up for first game, will be writing, and live, again, in GMT+1, if it winds up mattering

Dragon Master
04-01-2012, 11:54 AM
^ What AyeGill said. GMT+2.

CaptaiNapalm
04-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Well if we want to sort games by timezone and who is willing to write diaries, we are 8 between GMT/GTM+3. Maybe Coccyx is too.

swubb
04-01-2012, 02:10 PM
I am still up for the first game, and willing to write!

Coccyx
04-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Separating a group that writes and a group that doesn't sounds like a good idea, while bearing in mind time-zones. This seems to be coming together! Now, how are we going to organise the diaries? It would be nice if Timepiece could post them weekly on his site - but then it would be easy for any one of us to cheat. That said, publishing them all in one massive lump might be a bit overwhelming and hence not get read very much, so how about we finish the game, writing out diaries, then they get put up on a weekly basis as if it had been while we were playing, a week between each post being an actual week in the game. Or something like that.

Timmeister
04-01-2012, 05:12 PM
I assume by Timepiece you mean me? :-) In which case I'm happy to post anything whenever you guys feel! Though it might be a long time till this game is finished, perhaps lagging the entries to being a few weeks behind might be preferable?

Dragon Master
04-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Well, we could write teasers at the start of the game to be posted. Something like commenting on our position, cursing our neighbors, being cocky and all. And then after the finish, Timmeister starts posting the other batches.

Coccyx
04-01-2012, 06:24 PM
*so many new names to keep track of* Sorry Timmeister, I had a feeling I'd gotten it wrong. I don't see a problem with lagging the entries behind, sounds like a good compromise.

hardboiled
04-01-2012, 07:39 PM
im up for making up numbers in a game, if needed!

CaptaiNapalm
04-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Okay here is the list of players in game#1 (GMT & Diaries) - COMPLETE

nerflex
AyeGill
Dragon Master
CaptaiNapalm
Swubb
Coccyx
Timmesteir
Kirbyxox

Here are players for game #2 (various TMZ and no writing obligations)

Sgt_Squid (PST)
Pseudo 310 (EST)
Blapp21 (GMT +1)
Alix84 (GMT +3)

And players who can still join game #2

heliocentrix (TMZ?)
hardboiled (TMZ ?)

nerflek
04-01-2012, 10:13 PM
Niftytastic, but what quality is expected on those diaries? As good as one is capable of?

kirbyxox
04-01-2012, 10:37 PM
I would like to apply for a game and i will write.

kirbyxox
04-01-2012, 10:38 PM
also i would like to apply for game #1

Coccyx
04-01-2012, 10:39 PM
I was thinking at least a couple of hundred words a week, and certainly within reason. no one's expecting you to spend hours a day perfecting your entries (though if you want to you're welcome to)

nerflek
04-01-2012, 11:01 PM
I think that sounds about good, Coccyx. So with kirbyxox we have eight players for game 1, right? Is everyone in the steamgroup and all that? Could be a handy communication-tool.

Dragon Master
04-01-2012, 11:23 PM
Although, quantity is not quality, which Tom Francis made evident in his diaries. Pretty badass for just 2-3 entries(can't remember exactly). So, yeah, as good as one can make it, no need to feel pressured. And yes, there is a steam group and most of us are there: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RPSNPG

Sgt_Squid
05-01-2012, 01:12 AM
Okay. If Alix84 is with us second-game fella's, then we can start a six player game, and get the show on the road. Also, I've invited Heliocentric to join the second group. If Helio comes through, we'll have 5-7 people able to write what's being played.

CaptaiNapalm
05-01-2012, 08:04 AM
If everyone is ready I can create game #1 today

Alix84
05-01-2012, 08:37 AM
I'll join the second game. So should I leave the one I'm in now?

CaptaiNapalm
05-01-2012, 08:39 AM
I have destroyed it, I will remake a lobby for each game

AyeGill
05-01-2012, 09:51 AM
I am ready to get in game #1, when it is created, just provide a link

Arnisarus
05-01-2012, 10:13 AM
I'd be interested in joining the second group, played a bit of Neptunes pride in the past its gooood fun :)

CaptaiNapalm
05-01-2012, 10:31 AM
Is people of game #2 willing to accept a veteran ? (Arnisarus)

Arnisarus
05-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Hmm does 4 games make you a veteran ? :P

For some reason google has gone completley screwy though so i'll have to make a new account, but yes ive won a game before and come second in one, so if its all new people and you'd rather i didnt play then thats fine :)

kirbyxox
05-01-2012, 12:35 PM
I think we should probably set a date and time we are all okay with due to work/education then we can make sure we are all online.

Trees_are_pretty_cool
05-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Played nearly a dozen games of this, unfortunately I have exams this month. I'll try to join the second batch of games (if there is one?).

Blapp21
05-01-2012, 08:55 PM
@CaptaiNapalm (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/member.php?4915-CaptaiNapalm)
sure, the more merrier.

hardboiled
05-01-2012, 09:58 PM
hardboiled (GMT) still up for game 2 if pos!

AyeGill
05-01-2012, 10:08 PM
I'll have some time tomorrow, or if that fails, saturday.

nerflek
05-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Anytime this week for me, I've still got holidays.

Heliocentric
05-01-2012, 11:29 PM
I was poked, and yes I'd be happy to play with the 2nd group, I'm GMT, but it hardly matters.

AyeGill
05-01-2012, 11:52 PM
For the two people who haven't joined game #1 yet, i'm going to sleep now. It's 00:50 am here in GMT+1, so i expect it's late where you live too, but don't start befor tomorrow, where i can join, please!

kirbyxox
06-01-2012, 08:25 AM
what will the game be called also fre this weekend to an extent.

Coccyx
06-01-2012, 02:53 PM
I''ve joined the lobby and I'm ready to start.

nerflek
06-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Kirby, take a look at your forum-inbox, I believe you should've received a PM with the game's details!

elephant god
06-01-2012, 04:29 PM
I'd love very much to have a go at another NP game as well. I played one game back when everyone was playing it some two years ago (!), but got horribly battered. So yes, i DO have a little bit of experience... if you don't mind.

I'm in GMT+1 (Germany) and would love to write a wee bit about it. I'm not sure how full the two games are currently, but i see one steam group as nearly empty.

hardboiled
06-01-2012, 04:31 PM
aye im ready to rumble

R-F
06-01-2012, 04:52 PM
I'd like a game!

McDan
06-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Is ther still space at all? Just noticed this thread.

Coccyx
06-01-2012, 04:58 PM
I'm pretty sure there's space in the second game we have organised. Now that we've been OFFICIALLY LINKED TO (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/06/a-brief-survey-of-rps-community-stuff/) we might even have enough people coming in to start a third.

McDan
06-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Good stuff, could someone PM me with details about it please?

Dragon Master
06-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Sooo, a date an hour for the first game? Bit late for today but the weekend?

man-eater chimp
06-01-2012, 05:41 PM
In for any game going! I was in the last community game that was organised and it was pretty good (I came 2nd/3rd I believe, I definitely survived to the end at any rate).

Timmeister
06-01-2012, 06:31 PM
I can start anytime but since Uni starts for me again on the 9th I'd prefer it before then! Also being Scottish I spend 50% of my waking hours drunk, so please bare with my rash drunken in-game choices.

AyeGill
06-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Sooo, a date an hour for the first game? Bit late for today but the weekend?

I'm free most of saturday
EDIT: I could probably stay up pretty late tonight if you guys feel like starting today.

Coccyx
06-01-2012, 07:06 PM
I'm certainly ready to start today, we just need kirby to join

Dragon Master
06-01-2012, 07:07 PM
I can start anytime but since Uni starts for me again on the 9th I'd prefer it before then! Also being Scottish I spend 50% of my waking hours drunk, so please bare with my rash drunken in-game choices.

Well OBVIOUSLY the most logical choice is to pour me tech all game and then give all your stars to me. :P
AyeGill, I could probably stay too but the problem is that I do it waaay too often so I kinda want to get some healthy sleep, the last days of my holiday.
But if you all want today, that's ok. We can go with that. :P

AyeGill
06-01-2012, 07:56 PM
I am on for whatever everyone else is on for. As we enter the weekend, my schedule becomes increasingly flexible

Timmeister
06-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Right so the game has started.. are we waiting till everyone is online or are things all go?

Timmeister
06-01-2012, 09:40 PM
just a head up guys posted the RPS game one map on my site you can check it here.

http://mmgaming.net/index.php/2012/01/06/rps-neptunes-pride-community-epic-underway/

AyeGill
06-01-2012, 09:59 PM
Things are all go go go!

McDan
06-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Has the second game started yet? And I was in that game chimp, I remember the epic betrayals and backstabbing etc. That went on. Great times.

CaptaiNapalm
06-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Here is the current list for game #2 - COMPLETE

Sgt_Squid (PST)
Pseudo 310 (EST)
Blapp21 (GMT +1)
Alix84 (GMT +3)
heliocentrix (TMZ?)
hardboiled (TMZ ?)
Arnisarus

And the queue for game #3 - NEED ONE MORE

Trees_are_pretty_cool
elephant god
R-F
MacDan
Man-eater chimp
Thants
Burc

Coccyx
06-01-2012, 11:01 PM
You're doing a great job of organising this by the way Napalm, much appreciated.

Thants
06-01-2012, 11:56 PM
I'd like to get in on this as well!

Burc
07-01-2012, 01:26 AM
Count me in!

CaptaiNapalm
07-01-2012, 02:14 AM
GAME 3

Thants & Burc added. One more and ready to go.

GAME 2

I send you invitations, check your PM. The game starts automatically when lobby is full. If something goes wrong, please let me know.

Yushi
07-01-2012, 03:24 AM
I can take that last slot in game 3.

elephant god
07-01-2012, 01:31 PM
That's the third game. Howd'you set up the other games?

3rd RPSNP game:
Trees_are_pretty_cool
elephant god
R-F
MacDan
Man-eater
chimp
Thants
Burc
Yushi

Is there a central location to collect any write-ups?

CaptaiNapalm
07-01-2012, 01:45 PM
GAME 3 - COMPLETE

Trees_are_pretty_cool
elephant god
R-F
MacDan
Man-eater chimp
Thants
Burc
Yushi

check your PM

Dambeavers
07-01-2012, 01:55 PM
og god I got here too late.

Anybody up for a fourth game?

Burc
07-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Password doesn't work for me... :(

elephant god
07-01-2012, 02:32 PM
I have the same issue. Even though I entered the password I get an error message saying "Sorry this game requires a Password to join." I'm on Chrome.

CaptaiNapalm
07-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Ups I will fix that and provide a new link sorry ^_^"

Edit : check your PM, this one works

DK42
07-01-2012, 04:02 PM
I'm down for trying out a game! (EST, GMT -5)

CaptaiNapalm
07-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Game 1 - Running
Game 2 - Waiting for players to join lobby
Game 3 - Waiting for players to join lobby
Game 4 - Players in queue, need 6 more

Dambeavers
DK42
Saber117
Ethyls
spacein_vader

Ethyls
07-01-2012, 05:26 PM
I just joined Game 3, which is gonna be my first Neptune's Pride game. Hope that's not a problem.

Sgt_Squid
07-01-2012, 05:37 PM
This got big, fast. Just want to remind group two that:

Pseudo 310 (EST)
heliocentrix (TMZ?)
Arnisarus

still need to join the game. If we all join, we can hopefully still start this weekend.

Sabor117
07-01-2012, 05:38 PM
I'd like to get in on the fourth game if at all possible.

I'm in the GMT time zone and more than willing to write a diary (if that is still required).

elephant god
07-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Newbies encouraged as far as i understand @Ethyls

The Third game is awaiting players, too. Please join as soon as possible.

Should we maybe move people up the queue if the games #2 & #3 don't get filled up?

Coccyx
07-01-2012, 06:37 PM
I don't think anybody's writing anything outside of game 1, elephantgod.

CaptaiNapalm
07-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Sabor117 and Ethyls added to game 4

CaptaiNapalm
07-01-2012, 07:02 PM
It looks like people say they want to play in a game but don't join the lobby. If by monday there are still empty slots, I will remake players list to fill the gaps.

Sabor117
07-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Sorry, I'm not sure what lobby I should join? Also I am more than happy to play in either game #2 or #3 if they need players. Hell I just want to get in on this as soon as possible.

Ethyls
07-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Sabor117 and Ethyls added to game 4

Not on my end I'm not. Still only registered to the third game.
Which is fine by me.

CaptaiNapalm
07-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Let me explain how it works :

1/ People post on this thread and tell they want to play.
2/ I manage a list of them and as soon as there are 8 people waiting in the queue, I create a lobby in Neptune's Pride.
3/ I send a Private Message (PM) to those 8 players which contain the informations they need to join the lobby.
4/ When everyone have joined the lobby, game starts.

Our problem is that players who say they want to play and receive a private message containing the useful data still don't join the lobby, preventing the game to start. In order to make it happen, I will replace the leavers by people waiting in the queue or in another lobby.

Just wait for a PM and check the thread, I will keep you inform.

Sabor117
07-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Okay cool, that makes sense.
I'll keep an eye out for the message.

Sabor117
07-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Sorry, I meant to say. If anyone else from the game I am in also wants to keep a diary of their game then if you wanted me and Timmeister would be more than happy to post the diary on MMGaming as well (after Tim's game is done, so that they don't get confused).

hardboiled
07-01-2012, 09:00 PM
i have a mate who will join game 2! but that still leaves 3 more

brocklehurst
07-01-2012, 09:29 PM
yes hardboiled, I'm up for playing in game 2

spacein_vader
07-01-2012, 09:53 PM
I've never played neptunes pride but those articles have really made me want to. timezone is GMT.

DK42
08-01-2012, 12:18 AM
I guess I should have mentioned that I'm also interested in some writing or a little role playing. :) Anyone else up for this?

Sgt_Squid
08-01-2012, 12:27 AM
I am totally into writing. I think a big part of the appeal of this is being able to share our stories with people. Each group should be able to write, if they want.

Coccyx
08-01-2012, 12:42 AM
Of course people are welcome to write, it's just the idea doesn't work nearly as well if everyone isn't doing it. Speaking of which, everyone in my group better be keeping keeping their journals up to date!

nerflek
08-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Indeed we are, Coccyx! This game is pretty fun by the way, I hope we'll play more of it in the future.

Dragon Master
08-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Can anyone who logs into the game a bit more often, take pictures of the space map couple times a day, and send them to the rest of us in the end of the game. Adding some to the diaries, will make for much more elaborate entries.

AyeGill
08-01-2012, 01:03 PM
I can take a few pictures. And so far i've just been taking notes. I think i should get the first entry done before things change too much.

brocklehurst
08-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Any spaces in any games available?

I'm willing to join

Ham Solo
08-01-2012, 02:36 PM
I'd also like to join.

Sgt_Squid
08-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Here are the people who still need to join:
heliocentric (TMZ?)
Arnisarus
I trust that Heliocentrix would respond to a PM, but Shepherd last posted in the forums a week ago. If the three of them don't join by the end of the weekend, I would suggest putting them in group 3/4 and allowing some more active people who want to play join group two.

Heimmrich
08-01-2012, 07:30 PM
I would very much like to join a game with you chaps. I've played some neptune's pride when the diaries first came out, but one of the big turnoffs was the excessive rage-quitting which is quite frustrating when you invested a week into a match.
GMT -2

Moraven
08-01-2012, 07:47 PM
I will join up on a game. Been awhile since I played.

Sufinsil, my NP alias.

Heliocentric
08-01-2012, 07:55 PM
I will sign in tonight, just been a, little busy.

brocklehurst
08-01-2012, 09:26 PM
Here are the people who still need to join:
heliocentric (TMZ?)
Arnisarus
I trust that Heliocentrix would respond to a PM, but Shepherd last posted in the forums a week ago. If the three of them don't join by the end of the weekend, I would suggest putting them in group 3/4 and allowing some more active people who want to play join group two.

Sgt Squid, I'm a complete novice and would like to be considered for this

Sgt_Squid
08-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Brockelhurst, you were the friend of hardboiled right? I think that if, by sometime this evening (for us PST types anyways), Shepherd hasn't joined, than I think it'd be fine for you to join. I'll send you the link if thats the case and if the rest of group 2 doesn't disagree.

elephant god
09-01-2012, 12:20 AM
game 3 hasn't had anyone join for close to 24 hours.

I can understand missing the notification for the RPS inbox, but that also means there is little interest in playing the game. move up, peolple :)

edit: classic wrong-provening at time of writing. we are now 6.

Heliocentric
09-01-2012, 09:51 AM
First I want to profusely apologise, I did not mean to tease but I will not be playing. Last night I read a players FAQ on the game and legitimately enjoyed the prospective of digging into a long burn strategy. On the last page however he mentioned tech trading and it stopped me cold.

Reason being these games henge on diplomatics as it is, but the suggestion that at great profit technology can be shared is problematic at best.

Any messages that can be transmitted can be decoded, in star empire warfare sending the keys to your latest tech to a foreign ally would require a massive encryption key, if a ship had to deliver it, and thus a blockade be able to stop it maybe as a mechanism I could tolerate tech trading.

If technology could be stolen ala node teams in SMAC, intercepted or better yet intercepted and adjusted then retransmitted so that it seems to work perfectly but it's actually a trap of sorts I would adore the game for its subtlety. But right now you choose and depend on a distant ally, to both not sell on what you share with them but also not to drop out of the game and leave you falling behind. It's like the most fierce solium infernum machinations mixed with the same issues that break Civ 1 mp (they had a switch to eliminate tech trading later) made real time and stretched over a month.

Those who still want to play knowing all that, in I love yall, but you crazy.

Edit: Or being able to salvage technical from defeated fleets, or even from battle debris from battles you weren't involved in.

Sabor117
09-01-2012, 01:13 PM
I just want to make sure I understand this right. We have to wait for a PM which will tell us where to go and which lobby to join etc?
I ask because I haven't received any such message yet and I just want to check that this is because it hasn't been sent yet and not because I'm being an idiot and not looking in the right place?

hardboiled
09-01-2012, 02:33 PM
brocklehurst confirms for second game - he'll join when hes back from work

Sgt_Squid
09-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Helipcentric, that is a fine reason to not be playing. I think. I guess we need another player for group two. Anyone intrested to join group two by the end of today and start playing tonight?

hardboiled
09-01-2012, 03:18 PM
see above :)

Heliocentric
09-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Helipcentric, that is a fine reason to not be playing. I think. I guess we need another player for group two. Anyone intrested to join group two by the end of today and start playing tonight?

Either I throw myself into it obsessively or I wouldn't be having fun.

CaptaiNapalm
09-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Current queue

Dambeavers
DK42
Saber117
Ethyls
spacein_vader
brocklehurst
Ham Solo
Heimmerich
Moraven

Game 2 : One free slot
Game 3 : Two free slot

Feel free to apply but keep your word :)

elephant god
09-01-2012, 04:37 PM
I'm sorry if I'm upsetting anyone with this, but I want to get this thing going. We want to play Neptune's Pride with some RPSers.

edit: can't we just post the password here? most of this thread is "first come first serve" anyway

CaptaiNapalm
09-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Good idea elephant god

Game #2
url : http://np.ironhelmet.com/detail?game=32207213
password : game2go

Game #3
url : http://np.ironhelmet.com/detail?game=32218164
password : RPS

Game #4
url : http://np.ironhelmet.com/detail?game=32271759
password : RPSers

Sabor117
09-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Excellent! Thank you! :)
I am now in Game 3 and ready and waiting!

brocklehurst
09-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Thanks Elephant God.

I'm in game 2 and ready to go - think we're just waiting on 1 more

elephant god
09-01-2012, 07:50 PM
And off we go... Game 3 is running. :) And I'm in the middle. of course i am.

brocklehurst
09-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Woo, game 2 off as well

spacein_vader
09-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Hopefully I've not tread on any toes, but Lord Spaceinvader of the Tentacled Empire of Alioth has joined game 2.

Fear my squidlings.

Pseudo310
09-01-2012, 08:57 PM
I've taken my first actions of the day and I'm going to try to keep up with the writing. I love the art for the different aliens.

brocklehurst
09-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Art is good, but I don't think I like whatever's blowing out of my tail...

Heimmrich
09-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Oh, i'm too late for the party ):

Moraven
10-01-2012, 12:35 AM
Joined up for Game 4, missed the open spots for other games.

Dambeavers
10-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Game 4 as well. Brace yourselves.

Deathmonkey
10-01-2012, 06:42 PM
I'm in - See you for my first one!

Sgt_Squid
11-01-2012, 01:02 AM
This is fantastic. I hadn't intended on roleplaying in the least, but it seems like more and more players are doing it, and its hard to not. I would suggest doing it, it gives the game a bit more texture. My write ups might be a bit much considering I've been playing for, oh, 24 hours, but I am enjoying the whole thing. Is there one person in particular I was to send them to?

Dambeavers
11-01-2012, 01:38 AM
Game 4 has begun.
I am roleplaying as well.
I am a fish.

heroicfisticuffs
11-01-2012, 02:24 AM
I started a hosted / private game yesterday, after reading the conclusion of The Aspiration Xmas special over on Electron Dance (http://www.electrondance.com/?p=4119) (also linked in this past week's Sunday Papers (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/08/the-sunday-papers-200/)).
Anyone reading this is more than welcome to join. It's free to join since I hosted it myself... I set it up for 9 players but I'll start early if I need to.

Join the game here (http://neptunespride.appspot.com/detail?game=32236516). Happy hunting!!

- HF

CaptaiNapalm
11-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Quick Recap :
Game 1 - 4 Running
ElectronDance/RPS Game - Running

Game 5
url : http://np.ironhelmet.com/detail?game=32341942
password : RockPaperShotgun

Somewhat Okay Shepherd
11-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Sorry, joined a Neptune's Pride game that claimed it was the RPS game of DEATH and thought it was game 2. Joined Game 5 as Arcandas - will gladly do writing.

Arnisarus
12-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Sorry, joined a Neptune's Pride game that claimed it was the RPS game of DEATH and thought it was game 2. Joined Game 5 as Arcandas - will gladly do writing.

What the f**K thats stil there?! that is my old accountthat hosted that game, but its gone all screwy so i cant get rid of it :s

spacein_vader
12-01-2012, 04:24 PM
So far, so interesting. Never played before but the paranoia is setting in already.

Sgt_Squid
13-01-2012, 02:20 AM
It has been a fatastic game so far. I cannot wait to read what other people have been writing, as I know I have been writing a lot. Any place to put it yet? We're coming up on a week now.

brocklehurst
13-01-2012, 07:21 AM
So far, so interesting. Never played before but the paranoia is setting in already.

Then stop trying to buy my wife/sister/cousin!

spacein_vader
13-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Then stop trying to buy my wife/sister/cousin!

Well I've got to occupy my tentacles somehow!

Ham Solo
13-01-2012, 11:31 AM
I joined 5, too.

spacein_vader
14-01-2012, 01:35 AM
For those in game 2, we have a Steam group: RPS Neptune's Pride game 2

Pseudo310
16-01-2012, 03:05 PM
This is one of those games where my color blindness is a liability, as I can't tell the difference between my and spaceinvader's forces/planets without clicking on each one individually.

spacein_vader
16-01-2012, 11:58 PM
I can see how that would be a problem. If in doubt, just assume the fleet that's winning is mine!

Sgt_Squid
28-01-2012, 05:32 PM
I think game two is just about finished. What a game. Fantastic. I know many of us are writing logs so to those able to host them, could we have them put somewhere? I'd love to have these public. I really want to read others opinions on events and such.

brocklehurst
29-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Game 2, game over.

Now what do I do with my time?

elephant god
29-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Game three too is coming to an end very soon.

there's already a new game waiting for players. Thread is here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?2823-New-neptune-s-pride-game-started

brocklehurst
29-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Oh god don't tempt me

Deathmonkey
31-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Game 4 is over - I betrayed my way to 1st place. Thanks to my happy sidekick, Body By Cake.

Dragon Master
01-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Game 1: Over.
Big THANKS to Timmeister for being a stalwart ally troughout the whole game.
Big SORRY to nerflek, who I led to believe I had no relation with Timm. The result was a "planned" assault on him, which led to nerflek getting burned.
Big ??? to Sanbox for getting AI controlled mid-game and never logging back.
Big O.O for Coccyx who gave up right at the end, just focusing his fleets on our border, not attacking but just keeping whatever position he managed to achieve...
Result: 1st place - Dragon Master ^-^
2nd place - Timmeister
3rd place - Coccyx
Not bad for a 25 and a half days game.

Timmeister
01-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Yeah was a great experience. If you could check my new thread for trying to compile the logs that would be great.

And I wrote a little thing up about the game here: http://mmgaming.net/index.php/2012/02/01/neptunes-pride-review/

Sabor117
01-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Would just like to point out that Game 3 is still going but Yushi is set to slowly win some time in the next week or so.

Edit: Also I was wondering whereabouts will you guys be planning on posting your diaries/logs/thoughts of your various games? If you have any.

Coccyx
01-02-2012, 04:19 PM
I kinda gave up after I failed to get Timmeister to ally against you, Dragon master. I had no hope of defeating you without his aid, you would have overwhelmed me in hours. Do you know, during the entirety of the game I never betrayed anyone and never got betrayed myself? It made everything a tad stale, actually, resulting in me not writing much. I'll do something roughly summing up what went down, but I doubt it will make for interesting reading; all I did was fight with swubb. Ah well, at least I won that war.

nerflek
01-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Yes, Dragon Master had me fooled right up until the end.. However, it was a fun experience and I look forward to reading all your diaries. Oh and if you didn't already know, I was the one feeding Swubb technology, Coccyx. He was too nice of a guy not to, some really fun roleplaying had there.

Dragon Master
01-02-2012, 11:21 PM
I may or may not have slipped swubb some technology as well..hmm, can't quite remember. :P
Coccyx, I owe it to your position. You had the least natural enemies of us all. I'm on the other extreme, I had to backstab/sway/deal with/lie to/missinform/roleplay and wage war with everyone around me(apart from Tim) lest I get devoured by all those friendly individuals around me. This can tax oneself and, while not getting tired from it, it made me paranoid of wasting all the work I had to do, especially at the very end. Being in the middle is not the sweetest cup of tea, dear future/past players.

Deathmonkey
02-02-2012, 01:34 AM
Note that Game 5 still needs people - scroll back in this thread for specifics.

Sabor117
05-02-2012, 01:05 PM
That's game 3 over. Congrats to Yushi.

Sabor117
05-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Hey everyone! I would like to send this message to anyone who was in the First and the Third Neptune's Pride game. Me and Timmeister are going to posting our diaries of the events of our respective games on our blog: http://MMGaming.net and I was wondering that if you have any notes or a diary of any sort, could you please send that to us so we could post your experiences alongside ours?

It would be much appreciated!

Coccyx
05-02-2012, 05:53 PM
I've sent my notes to your website's email and look forward to reading them alongside everyone else's.

Sabor117
06-02-2012, 03:30 PM
I've sent my notes to your website's email and look forward to reading them alongside everyone else's.

I saw them yesterday evening and informed Timmeister. We're each sorting out the diaries/logs for our individual games so you'll see your's when he starts posting. At the moment though, nobody else has got back to us so we're going to give them some time to check their inboxes before posting.

Cheers though, I personally enjoyed reading your experiences!

Coccyx
20-02-2012, 08:37 AM
What's a happening?

DeVadder
21-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Hello thread o/

I just joined Game 5, be afraid of the space turtles slooow and not too scary wrath. But dont be too afraid, we are not very dangerous tbh.

Oh i just now realised, that the thread had been dormant for 2 weeks. Well, ill just hope Game 5 gets its last two players.

Coccyx
26-02-2012, 11:51 AM
I've posted before on the general kindness thread, but does anyone reading this have any spare Neptune's pride credits lying around? I'm trying to set up a game for me and 5 friends (6 total)

DeVadder
02-03-2012, 08:35 PM
A friend of mine is premium there because of Blight. Check your inbox.

jaykyburz
24-08-2013, 01:15 AM
Hey RPS fans,

I'm the developer of Neptune's Pride.

I was thinking of running a Kick-starter for a game that was a cross between NP and Advanced Wars.

It would have the high level stagey and diplomacy of NP with the low level tactical play of AW.

Would you back it?

You can respond here or in this dedicated thread (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?11438-Neotune-s-Pride-meets-Advanced-Wars&p=349758#post349758).

Cheers,

Jay