PDA

View Full Version : Gamepads: Tips, suggestions and recommendations

Voon
02-01-2012, 03:37 PM
There are times that I just need a gamepad to play certain games. Not that they actually require a gamepad to play like SMB but well, sometimes its just feels plain easier play with certain games. On emulators, mostly.

So, I have some pretty limited options to buy gamepads around here, I don't even know whether these chinese knock-offs would even work on games with gamepad support; let alone emulators. Is it better for me to find and spend a load of cash on an original gamepad? Or should I risk it and buy a knock-off which is less than half the price of a Logitech gamepad instead?

Also, I have a couple of Xbox 360 controllers, which I assume that I could somehow find a component for it to connect to the PC. Not sure of that would work, though.

sabrage
02-01-2012, 03:46 PM
This (http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Third-Party/dp/B003WFYZCY)will solve your wireless 360 woes, but honestly for the price you may just be better off buying a wired one. (Link is Amazon as I don't know where you live)

Voon
02-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Malaysia. Lots of knock-offs here, so finding a legit gamepad is a bit hard but it's somewhere alright. MS components are quite difficult to find here, if you ask me.

And thanks for the link, man

FuriKuri!
02-01-2012, 05:48 PM
If you're prepared to but in a little elbow grease you can use these drivers to get a PS3 pad working on your PC - http://www.motioninjoy.com/. I assume these pads are fairly easy to obtain regardless of where you live, and if not I'd imagine even a knockoff brand will probably work.

The PS3 dualshock pad is a great one, probably the best all-rounder I've used. If you particularly care about wireless it is possible to get a blue tooth adapter for your PC and run the PS3 pad through that.

Prodirus
02-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Look out for tech shops. Most of them sell wireless XBOX 360 gamepads for PCs. You're gonna get another controller, but you also get the wireless receiver with in, and all the other controllers can connect to it. They go for around RM190, I think.

I know a few shops around PJ and Kepong that sell them, if you're willing to drive there.

Voon
02-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Fuck. That's a bit far off from Putra Heights but yeah sure, i'll check it out. Those RM30 gamepads look tempting enough, but im still unsure. Would they even work on, lets say, ePSXe or ZSNES?

somini
17-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Just wanted to necro this thread to ask the same question.
What is the best gamapad for the Mighty PC? Now that my NGS Maverick is falling apart, I want to buy a new, better one.
I am tempted to go with the easy route and buy a EggsBox pad, but I heard Logitech has some better ones. Oh, and no wireless please.
Compatibility is not a problem, Xpadder and XBOX 360 Controller emulator (http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/) are really easy to use.

The Tupper
17-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Over the years I've had four PC gamepads (five if you count an adapted PS2 Dual Shock) and the XBox 360 is the best I've used.

Kodeen
17-01-2012, 08:53 PM
My primary is the X360 controller, but recently when playing Super Meat Boy, my palms get sore because I am really gripping the ... grips, which are a very hard plastic.

So I got a SNES->USB adapter, hasn't arrived yet but I see no reason to think I won't be pleased with it.

db1331
17-01-2012, 10:33 PM
You're best off just getting a wired 360 pad. Most games recognize them straight out of the box. The only time it can get annoying is when a game assumes that because you have a controller plugged in, you have no desire to use your mouse and keyboard, so I constantly have to connect/disconnect it.

The 360 pad has worked flawlessly for:

GTA IV
SMB
The Witcher 2
Batman AA and AC
Tomb Raider Anniversary, Legend, and Underworld
Darksiders
Psychonauts
Basically every game I've ever tried to use it for

somini
17-01-2012, 10:54 PM
You're best off just getting a wired 360 pad. Most games recognize them straight out of the box. The only time it can get annoying is when a game assumes that because you have a controller plugged in, you have no desire to use your mouse and keyboard, so I constantly have to connect/disconnect it.

The 360 pad has worked flawlessly for:

GTA IV
SMB
The Witcher 2
Batman AA and AC
Tomb Raider Anniversary, Legend, and Underworld
Darksiders
Psychonauts
Basically every game I've ever tried to use it for
Yes, that was a great feature that Microsoft implemented, XInput, in this age of Ports.
I was just wondering if weren't some better pads other than that, even if don't work like that. As I posted I have an old NGS pad and it works as good as the real deal, with minor configuration.

DigitalSignalX
18-01-2012, 03:54 AM
I have a wired 360 game pad, was 19 bucks at newegg. It works out of the box on anything that supports it, often to my annoyance because a lot of games will "default" to it when I really only ever use it for driving or flying. Superb item though, very sturdy, feels solid, nice vibration and no signs of wear after a year or so of light use.

somini
26-01-2012, 10:59 PM
Necroing this thread again to ask RPSites if they know about any gamepad that can be used both wireless and wired. I think the PS3 controller can do this, but for the PC I can't find anything like this.

DVD773
27-01-2012, 01:01 AM
I dont know of any that deff can. But from what ihave tried a wireless XBOX controller wired using a charger cable, and it sort of worked although i was missing some drives. so it didn't run in games.helpful post i know.

deano2099
27-01-2012, 03:45 AM
Necroing this thread again to ask RPSites if they know about any gamepad that can be used both wireless and wired. I think the PS3 controller can do this, but for the PC I can't find anything like this.

Not entirely sure what you're looking for? I mean most wireless pads fit that description but that's just because you plug them into a USB port to charge...

somini
27-01-2012, 04:01 AM
Not entirely sure what you're looking for? I mean most wireless pads fit that description but that's just because you plug them into a USB port to charge...
I would like to find a chargeable gamepad that doesn't suck. Most of what I saw had batteries. If I can't find a better alternative I'll just go with the XBOX360, it's not too bad. I'm just looking for something better.

sabrage
27-01-2012, 06:58 AM
The PS3 controller fits your needs, but as far as I can tell can't directly interface over USB (only charges) so you'll need a bluetooth receiver. Though, d-pad aside, the Xbox 360 controller is superior in every possible way.

soldant
27-01-2012, 08:40 AM
You can use Motionjoy DS3 Tool to use a PS3 controller over USB or Bluetooth.

somini
27-01-2012, 01:51 PM
That's what I thouhgt, but the Dualshock3 is a bit small for my hands, I don't find it very comfortable. Thanks anyway, I guess I will stick with the XBOX gamepad wired.

somini
29-01-2012, 02:04 AM
I succeeded in my quest.
I got a PowerA Pro Wireless Driver. It's made for PS3, but Windows 7 automatically installs it's drivers, albeit without vibration, when connecting with the dongle it brought. Motioninjoy kinda works. Amazon link (http://www.amazon.co.uk/PowerA-Pro-Elite-Wireless-Controller/dp/B003V4AK8E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327798717&sr=8-1)
The only downsides pointed by the reviews were that it kinda suck to play COD with it, so it's was good for me. It works just like I intended. I plug the dongle and that's it, it's recognised immediately. If it needs charge, just plug the cable to the dongle and it charges. Looks sturdy and has a good grip, and it's as light as the XBOX controller, if not less. I will see how things fare in the future.