PDA

View Full Version : Fable 3: A game with not bad intentions.

Tei
03-06-2011, 12:19 PM
I am playing Fable3, and actually enjoying it. Yes, you have to fight the camera. Yes, the game has a builtin visual indication of how linear is the game, a literal linearity. But the game actually reward exploration and don't seems to get angry if you make your own weird choices to how you play the game.. .. Or maybe accept my choices.

I am playing the game like a good dude mage, ignoring all other weapons. I will probably marry the first decent looking women in sight.

The greatest thing is that I am only 6 hours in the game, and It still feel like introduction... That type of introduction where you are finding new things in the game, that you will exploit on the next hours of gamming. So Fable 3 deliver a lot of nice game mechanics for you.

I was expecting a bad game. But I have found a game that is playable, and interesting in his own way.

The game engine feel like a enhanced version of the one of "Overlord". Servicial, and at some points very pretty.

venn177
03-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Good intentions, horrible execution.

The biggest problem I saw was melee being useless, and spamming magic being the end-all-be-all way to beat the game. The decisions you're forced to make throughout are really cool, but the game itself is so easy it's depressing.

Creeping Death
03-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Use a gamepad and the weird camera control goes away immediately. I don't know what they did when they converted it to mouse but it just doesn't feel natural.

I also spent ages looking for a fix to stop the horrible use of motion blur that was giving me a headache :/

But yes, apart from those two things I have also been rather enjoying the game. You can easily ignore the guideline and wander off searching for random hidden things if you choose. It's just a real shame you can't turn it off.

Edit: Off topic - so we've got a new forum and the post count still doesn't work? Love it xD

berjalan
03-06-2011, 12:29 PM
The first part of the game is definitely better than latter part. It basically seems that they ran out of time/money. The choices thing is interesting because you do feel like your affecting the game world in some quite profound ways, yet the game always tells you very explicitly that you're being good or evil, even if the choice is not that black and white. I just really wish they wouldn't give a judgement with every choice you make, and just let the player come to their own conclusions about their own moral conduct. That would make for some interesting moments; seeing if you still feel like you did the right thing after events unfold.

But yeah, basically it's a good game. Some good voice-acting too.

venn177
03-06-2011, 12:30 PM
The bread crumb trail idea was horrible, and took the player's attention away from a beautifully created world. There are only two instances in the game, I believe, where you don't have somewhere you have to be. Drove me absolutely crazy.

@berjalan, there were a few morally gray decisions. Generally it was Reaver = bad, anyone else = good, but earlier on, especially the first decision in the game you make (technically, second) was horribly gray. Felt like something out of The Witcher. Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2 had the same problem, with everything being morally polarized.

Tei
03-06-2011, 12:32 PM
On my last section, I made friend to a lady hobo. She wanted to visit the mist mountains, so I picked here for the travel. But on the city doors was a sad women that have lost his children. I got that quest to, so I changed direction, ... still with the lady hobo. We finnally found the children in the deeps of a cave with wolfs. So I have take the children. But since you only can have one NPC by the hand, I have abandoned this lady hobo in the deeps of that cavern. How cool is that? I make friends of lady hobos, only to lost then in the deeps of wolf infested caverns.

Alez
03-06-2011, 12:34 PM
I was expecting a bad game... ...and i found just that, but it was surprisingly appealing for my non-gamer girlfriend.

I chose a female character, because i like to look at ladies instead of men, and when i came to a point where the only choice i had was to either hug or kiss some dude, i said fuck it. I offered the controller to my girl as a joke, expecting her to refuse me but surprise surprise, 6 hours later she was still playing.

This game is way too cute to be taken seriously. After the kissing you have to take the guy by the hand and stroll around. I am not kidding.

After the gameplay really kicks in, it gets a bit less silly but all you do is buy houses and spam area of effect spells until the end of time.

Edit: Just so i am not all bad. i will say that i loved the dog. It was very useful and almost never stuck or annoying. One of the best companions i have seen in a game.
How can you not love a dog that alerts you of nearby treasure?...unless you think that's kinda like cheating and defeats the purpose of exploring, in which case, i guess you are right, mister dog hating killjoy.

berjalan
03-06-2011, 12:47 PM
@venn177 Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that one. And it is indeed a good example of a difficult decision without an obvious good/evil outcome. Both choices will have good and bad consequences. I wish they had done more like that.

venn177
03-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Then again, I suppose if you want an intricate story with hardened gameplay, a darker world, and everything being morally gray, you would've got The Witcher series in the first place, huh?

But seriously, that was a hard decision, and Elise's behavior and reactions towards it throughout the rest of the game was AMAZING, and if it weren't for the fact that once we got married she disappeared, I would've felt some kind of attachment towards her, the likes of which I never thought I would've felt in a Fable game.

Tei
03-06-2011, 12:54 PM
but seriously, that was a hard decision, and elise's behavior and reactions towards it throughout the rest of the game was amazing, and if it weren't for the fact that once we got married she disappeared,...

aaargghghh--- spoooilers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

venn177
03-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Those aren't spoilers. You can marry anyone, and I was intentionally vague about everything relating to it. I just chose to marry her.

I'm very spoiler-conscious, even if the game is pretty predictable.

Tei
03-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Looks like the game will fit with my plastyle :D

I like to spawn area attacks. I only miss the ability to aim with the magic attacks. It seems you "shot somewhere forward". But if theres some explosive crates, you only hit by luck or spamming the attack.

venn177
03-06-2011, 01:22 PM
The only way to hit explosive crates on purpose is with a gun. Kind of annoying, but it's not like the enemies will get near you with magic.

They should've made magic stronger, but kept mana in the game.

Tei
03-06-2011, 01:34 PM
The only way to hit explosive crates on purpose is with a gun. Kind of annoying, but it's not like the enemies will get near you with magic.

They should've made magic stronger, but kept mana in the game.

Do weapons really evolve? If I use the riffle a lot, will it become a amazing sniper weapon?

venn177
03-06-2011, 01:35 PM
They KIND OF evolve.

In the sense that each weapon has three ways that they can be upgraded by grinding a certain type of enemy or something. I can't say for sure, though, 100% of my kills were with magic.

So to put it simply, it was another Peter Molyneux act: Amazing idea, amazingly flawed execution.

MikoSquiz
03-06-2011, 02:47 PM
I've been writing some mini-reviews in tweet form:

"Fable III: A threadbare skeleton of a game, stuffed with truncated stubs of idea and draped in voice-acting and visuals of finest spun gold."

Wonderful environments, great visual design, great audio design, and what you actually do is hammer the attack button and choose "Buy and rent out" and "Repair all" from a map menu. You can do a bunch of pressing 1 and 2 to earn money if you like as well, but you don't need to if you choose those options from the menu sufficiently. If you had an autofire mouse you could just leave the button taped down and walk away to win any fight, since your character can't die or be injured - you can gulp down healing items if you like but there's no real point to it. I do like the weapon-upgrading bit, but that's a little slight itself.

It's all so streamlined there's barely any game left under all the shiny surfacing. Even the moral choices the story hands you come down to "are you a goodie or a baddie".

All in all, I can't be arsed to play it any more. If someone wants to come over and finish it for me while I occasionally pop in to watch the story bits, that'd be grand.

venn177
03-06-2011, 03:11 PM
To be fair, at the end the options are more gray, being SPOILERS KIND OF SPOILERS are you a goodie who doesn't care about his people or a baddie who does SPOILERS END KIND OF SPOILERS, which seems like another of their many ideas gone wrong.

Tei
04-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Moving crap around in my house I have accidentally found a Xbox control pad!..

So I have connected it to the computer, and tried to play with it. Control pads are a superweird system. My biggest problem is that you have to press a button with the finger to move forward, and you have to press too strong... I don't like that. Really is a poor control system.

I have tried multiplayer, and everything was smooth. I don't know if is luck, or the game is designed that way, but I connected with a like minded player (about the same stats but complementary gamestyle), a women. I can't say its a really fun game, but was relaxing and supernice. It would do again? yes.

I have the impression that with this game Microsoft tried to attract the people that play Sims.

venn177
04-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Another thing I'd like to point out: Since this game came out what feels like forever ago on consoles, it's biggest flaw is forgotten about: The horrid load times to do anything, since we're on PC.

Even if you just have a half-decent average setup, you can easily ignore the ridiculous load times the console version was plagued with.