PDA

View Full Version : Hitman

sabrage
10-06-2011, 01:03 AM
So after watching some trailers and reading some previews on Absolution, I'm pretty sold on the new Hitman game. However, I haven't played any of the others. I've seen a lot of praise and recommendations for Blood Money on the forums, but are the others worth playing? I'm assuming the original is just too old for me, but should I check out 2 and 3?

I'm a huge fan of the Metal Gear Solid series, the second Assassin's Creed was pretty good, and I thought Pandora Tomorrow was a lot of fun (but I got it for free and I've never bothered with the rest of the Splinter Cells) how does Hitman compare?

Kadayi
10-06-2011, 01:09 AM
Blood money is outstanding. Mechanistically it's more fluid than the earlier games (as one would expect) and a lot less hit and miss (no pun intended) when it comes to carrying out close quarter work (which was extremely frustrating). I'd say play Blood Money first and then if you really feel the need to be a completionist try the earlier titles.

Tikey
10-06-2011, 01:12 AM
I wouldn't recommend the second nor third games. I felt they were too shooty and lost a lot of the pacing and careful planing of the first one. The first one I love but I haven't played it in a long time so I don't know how it'd hold up.

Without a doubt you should play Blood Money. That's a given. The previous two... I wouldn't but perhaps someone on the forum had a different experience with them, maybe if you reaaaally like BM you might want to try one of them regardless.

sabrage
10-06-2011, 01:12 AM
I take it there's not much of an ongoing plot then? I felt from the Absolution trailer that the character in the shower was one from a previous game. And the difference between the Trilogy and Blood Money on Amazon is about $3, so I just figured I would grab that.

Oak
10-06-2011, 01:14 AM
I've seen a lot of praise and recommendations for Blood Money on the forums, but are the others worth playing?

They are, and I'd recommend starting at the beginning (or at 2, at least: I confess I've never played Codename 47) not only because they're all good, distinct games in their own right, but because playing Blood Money first might spoil them for you. It's only as great as it is because Io learned from their mistakes and tweaked the formula with each iteration; watching the series evolve was a treat, but going back to an earlier game makes the bumps in the road feel a lot rougher.

Tikey
10-06-2011, 01:19 AM
The plot isn't the most interesting part. Blood Money has ties with previous games but manages to be quite perfect as a stand-alone story.
Absolution do seem to carry the story from BM.

Alez
10-06-2011, 01:24 AM
First of all, Blood Money is a must. Not to be able to understand anything in this one, there is no need. Just because it's a very good game.

Secondly, i guess you could try the others but there is no real story to them. They tried to kinda tie them together but i think they failed and i'm glad for it. I don't want any damn story in it.

The thing about Hitman is that they got slightly better and better gameplay with each version. So if you play Blood Money, it's gonna be hard to get into the older ones.

I'd recommend to start from the second. The first is just too visually ugly to get into. And since you are hyped from the videos on hitman 5, i doubt you would give it a chance. Maybe even 2 or 3 are too old, check out some screens and see if you can accept them.

Tikey
10-06-2011, 02:46 AM
Oh Codename 47, I still love you and your hotel mission.

Ian
10-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Blood Money is fantastic. If you like that then, for me, next port of call would be Hitman 2. There're some bits where it seems to be baiting you into being shooty and the AI seeing through your disguises could be wonky at times but it's got some cracking missions.

The first mission of Hitman 2 is actually one of my favourite early moments of any game. It's sort of like in Oblivion when you get out of the sewer and you see what world you're really in. Hitman 2 plonks you on top of a hill with a perfect vantage point for your next mission, and as somebody who'd hardly played a stealth game before (and certainly not Hitman) this made it clear to me: You're to scout and plan first, we've placed you here to let you see that.

Lots of good missions in the game, though.