PDA

View Full Version : I need help please and thank you

zeitgeist420cubed
08-01-2012, 12:14 PM
okay here's the issue I'm having and what steps I've taken in order to alleviate it, but to no avail. If there is anyone who can help I would be eternally grateful.

I recently got an Acer aspire, it has an amd athlon ii x2 240e dual core processor, nvidia geforce 9200 graphics, 4gb ddr3 memory, 1 tb hd,

whenever i try to play skyrim, i get severe lag, around 5 or 6 fps everywhere except in menus, ive updated all of my drivers and even adjusted my visual settings on my pc to nothing making it virtually windows 2000, ive followed tweak guides, to no avail, suht off anything that wasnt crit to my os, nothing, no change no difference, when i checked the specs they pretty much said i have at least double skyrims requirements so whats the deal, why am i getting lag on a brand new computer, with a new game? when i play anyother game i dont have this issue. is there something i can do or should i just chalk the loss to a game i waited 5 years to play but cant even sit in front of for 2 minutes without ripping the hair from my head.

Rii
08-01-2012, 01:29 PM
If it's a laptop I'd be looking to see if there's anything wrong with the power management side of things, i.e. CPU throttled when it shouldn't be, etc.

koen
08-01-2012, 01:49 PM
The problem is your videocard. A geforce 9200 is not a gaming videocard (as in, it has a very bad performance).

Rii
08-01-2012, 01:54 PM
The problem is your videocard. A geforce 9200 is not a gaming videocard (as in, it has a very bad performance).

It's an X360 game is it not? Turn down the resolution, texture detail, etc. and it should run on a pair of tin cans and string. Or did Ubisoft handle the PC port? /lowblow

JohnnyMaverik
08-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Turn everything down/off. all your draw distances need to be on lowest, you won't be able to play at native resolution, and will have to turn that way down, any optional features that are graphics related (probably all of them off the top of my head) need to be set to lowest possible or off completely.

Even then you may still find yourself having issues. A 9200 GS as stated above is not really a gaming GPU, I mean it only has 256mb of dedicated vram, probably ddr2/3 (depends on the model of laptop). Don't get me wrong, it is gaming capable, Quake III on highest settings, fine, Source Engine games around medium, no problem, Unreal 3 engine games on lower settings, should be perfectly playable. But some of the newer stuff, such as Skyrim, might prove to be a little too much for it.

@Rii

The PC port for Skyrim is OK but it doesn't scale to lower end cards that well sadly. You can play it on anything equivalent to or better than a 360, but less capable than (anything with a 9200GS is I'm afraid quite a bit less capable than a 360) and you're quickly running into problems.

It's a shame because everything else on that Laptop is fine. 4GB of RAM is great, Skyrim can't take advantage of you having any more than that anyway, nice higher end (for a laptop) dual core CPU, but it's just the graphics card. I know it's playable at around 20-30fps (bottoming out at 15 now and again) on a laptop with similar specs, but a 9300GS 512GB DDR3 VRAM, with most things scaled down to minimum and a 720p or below resolution because my sister is doing just that atm, so I'd definitely make sure you've scaled the settings back as much as possible before giving up hope.