PDA

View Full Version : Razer's new attemp to save pc gaming is a tablet

pakoito
10-01-2012, 10:30 PM
http://www.razerzone.com/projectfiona

We weren't exactly looking for the "Switchblade of CES 2012," but Razer's latest concept, nicknamed "Project Fiona," may take the title anyway. This concept gaming tablet flanks a 10.1-inch multitouch screen with a pair of nunchuk-like four-button controllers, lending the slab a bit of flightstick flair. Its dual-stick wings won't help you fly through ShadowGun however -- this slate is a Windows machine. An Intel Core i7 Ivy Bridge processor hopes to keep Fiona fragging with the desktop kiddies, Razer CEO Min-Liang Tan told us, giving it the chops to run modern PC games right out of the box.

The Prototype was built specifically with mobile PC gamers in mind, said Min-Liang, and will feature a hybrid user interface (a hub activated via a upcoming Windows 8 app) designed to help gamers immediately jump into local multiplayer matches. He described a group of friends seamlessly jumping into a round of Hawx 2, and "dogfighting face to face." It sounds like he wants Fiona to revitalize the Lan party. Although most PC games should be fully playable without any special tweaks or modificaitons, Min-Liang said developers would have the option of adding Fiona specific controls to a game, such as a touch control scheme, or accelerometer joystick emulation. Optimization isn't necessary but exclusive control schemes will be possible.

In addition to its Ivy Bridge chops, the concept gaming slate features enhanced audio with Dolby Home Theater v4 and built-in force feedback. Razer wasn't ready to talk battery life, but said that they hope to launch the slab in Q3 or Q4, after Windows 8 launches, for under $1000. How's it play? We'll let you know as soon as we get our hands on it. Until then, feel free to read on for Fiona's official press release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--aGuXYo1rs

http://i.imgur.com/WKpfy.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/gCww0.png

You can lol now

Mistabashi
10-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Well, the tablet form was totally expected. The handlebars welded to the side however was not...

Berzee
10-01-2012, 10:34 PM
I don't like watching Razer videos so much if they don't have that serious man! Where is he at?

db1331
10-01-2012, 10:36 PM
I actually started lolling the instant I saw the first picture, BEFORE I got to the express permission to lol at the end. Will there be any penalty?

Seriously though, that thing looks like someone bolted two PS Move controllers to an iPad.

mrwout
10-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Aaah was just about to post this myself, but apparently I didn't have a forum account :p

I sort of like the idea but the control method seems super uncomfortable...

EDIT: It only now occured to me that the screen is super thick...guess you'll need quite alot of muscle to carry "Fiona".

Alex Bakke
10-01-2012, 10:38 PM
Look mum, no hands!

Drake Sigar
10-01-2012, 10:38 PM
I'd like to try Wing Commander on it, but that's all.

ZamFear
10-01-2012, 10:46 PM
I'm not convinced that a person with normal human thumbs, placing their hands in such a way as to be able to use the analog sticks and trigger buttons, would be able to actually press any of the face buttons without causing themselves severe injury.

Mistabashi
10-01-2012, 10:50 PM
I'm not convinced that a person with normal human thumbs, placing their hands in such a way as to be able to use the analog sticks and trigger buttons, would be able to actually press any of the face buttons without causing themselves severe injury.

That's ok though, as I'm not convinced a person with normal human thumbs would consider buying this thing anyway :p

Kodeen
10-01-2012, 10:50 PM
From the picture the aluminum arms for the controllers are part of the main bezel, therefore not removable. I'm not buying it either way, but they really need to make the controllers detachable to make this an actual tablet, and not just a giant Game Boy.

NecroKnight
10-01-2012, 10:52 PM
This is how they're gonna save PC gaming, with this shit. This is a small portable console.

Kadayi
10-01-2012, 10:57 PM
Conceptually I get where they are going, but in terms of implementation I'm not so convinced.

outoffeelinsobad
10-01-2012, 11:03 PM
I like it.

GothicEmperor
10-01-2012, 11:06 PM
I don't want to sound too childish, but I chortled when I read that HAWX 2 bit.

Snargelfargen
10-01-2012, 11:10 PM
This is such a dumb idea.

Razer should partner with OnLive and make bluetooth controllers for tablets. They can still sell the controllers for a ridiculous mark-up, but they won't be competing with a dozen different manufacturers.

Edit: I should probably justify "dumb". They actually managed to make one of the trendiest items available today look uncool. Consumers are going to look at Fiona and think "what is wrong with that tablet".

squareking
10-01-2012, 11:17 PM
I'm not even sure where to start with this abomination. How about that large furnace over there?

outoffeelinsobad
10-01-2012, 11:23 PM
It's really a good idea. They've taken the obvious obstacle with gaming on a tablet and overcome it. It could certainly look sleeker, but the theory is solid.

Kelron
10-01-2012, 11:24 PM
Under $1000? $999.99.

pakoito
10-01-2012, 11:25 PM
It's really a good idea. They've taken the obvious obstacle with gaming on a tablet and overcome it. It could certainly look sleeker, but the theory is solid.
I was watching the video and saw company of heroes or Terraria while two sticks were fiddling around aimlessly...so what's the implementation logic behind that?

outoffeelinsobad
10-01-2012, 11:29 PM
I don't know their implementation because I haven't used the damn thing, obviously. I'm only pointing out the fact that gaming on a tablet might seem like a great idea for pc gamers who don't want to carry their tower to their girlfriends' apartments, but the lack of a serious control mechanism is a serious obstacle. Razer seem to be empathetic with that situation, and I applaud them for it.

slick_101
10-01-2012, 11:31 PM
I honestly don't see how Razer are being able to stay a profitable business.

Heliocentric
10-01-2012, 11:32 PM
I like it.

You wont like the price.

ZIGS
10-01-2012, 11:36 PM
They didn't want to talk battery life because it's probably pitiful. Like 2 hours

Heliocentric
10-01-2012, 11:40 PM
They didn't want to talk battery life because it's probably pitiful. Like 2 hours

I'd like that screen/controller plugged into my PC as a high end peripheral, just an Interface device for me PC and maybe only 200 tops, but in reality its just a touch screen monitor with a 360 pad wielded to it.

That would be badass.

westyfield
10-01-2012, 11:42 PM
> Aims to revolutionise PC gaming.

> Builds device with fewer buttons than a PS2 controller.

Lol.

Snargelfargen
10-01-2012, 11:42 PM
The profit margin on most of their stuff is absolutely insane. Also I think they are actually a part of Belkin somehow.

I bought a Razer Nostromo n52TE controller. This was around 80$ when it first came out, and they are still hard to find under 60$.

Mine was on sale for 25$ and the only difference was a Belkin logo instead of Razer. They probably still earned some money for that.

Drake Sigar
11-01-2012, 12:02 AM
I'm not convinced that a person with normal human thumbs, placing their hands in such a way as to be able to use the analog sticks and trigger buttons, would be able to actually press any of the face buttons without causing themselves severe injury. Didn't you ever own a Nintendo 64?

Heister
11-01-2012, 12:26 AM
Is it possible to connect a kb+m to that tablet?

Wizardry
11-01-2012, 12:29 AM
I'm sure it has USB slots, so yes.

PeteC
11-01-2012, 12:51 AM
I saw this an hour or so ago and knew it would get a negative reaction from most but I think it looks interesting. I quite like the idea behind it, remains to be seen how it works in practice.

Doubt I'll ever buy one though.

Scumbag
11-01-2012, 01:01 AM

High end mouse market ;)

Another year, another batshit (very pricy) idea from Razor that is here to "save the PC" or something.
Wonder if Kotaku will have another baiting article?

Kelron
11-01-2012, 01:01 AM

By selling overpriced peripherals to the people who buy a 3000 PC when a 1000 one would do the same job.

soldant
11-01-2012, 01:10 AM
I saw this an hour or so ago and knew it would get a negative reaction from most but I think it looks interesting. I quite like the idea behind it, remains to be seen how it works in practice.

Doubt I'll ever buy one though.
I sort of like the concept but not the implementation. Those sticks on the side are just ridiculous, how is anybody supposed to use them? It would have been 10x better if it had come in a convertible form factor (i.e. folding keyboard/touchpad combo) or a wireless controller. As it stands now... that thing is just ridiculous.

Interestingly enough I do remember Microsoft had a similar concept gaming tablet thing a while ago, which basically had a thumbstick on the side. Can't remember much about it, it was part of some sort of promotional concept video.

Tams80
11-01-2012, 01:21 AM
All I could see clearly from the thumbnail on The Verge was the tablet. Needless to say I had a good chortle when I clicked through.

Ignoring what makes it funny, the concept seems more console like than PC gaming like. But then again consoles are PCs, so meh. Not that there is anything wrong with consoles.

The concept would probably be better if the controllers were detachable and if there was a keyboard dock for the tablet like the Asus Transformer has. With the dock it could even be like the Switchblade concept with the detachable side control as an optional input device.

Nalano
11-01-2012, 01:41 AM
So, basically, instead of creatively using the tablet's unique touchpad interface to make games you can't play anywhere else, they just made a giant PSP at thrice the price.

Good thing PC gaming doesn't need saving.

mickygor
11-01-2012, 02:47 AM

It docks to a keyboard and mouse. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX6jy4U30Qw

gwathdring
11-01-2012, 03:42 AM
Er ... I suppose it isn't a terrible idea. But the ergonomics of it seem rather off. It seems to have misunderstood the primary advantages both of game controllers and of tablets. I guess we'll see how it works out once people start buying it.

icupnimpn2
11-01-2012, 07:47 AM
Aside from the handlebars and odd button placement thereon, this is pretty close to what I want from my next PC: a dockable tablet-style media and game machine that plays regular PC/Windows software.

Lewie Procter
11-01-2012, 07:55 AM
Supposedly Gamestop are working on an android based tablet with built in 360 style controls for their upcoming game streaming service & games designed/optimised specifically for it (no doubt via their own app store for it).

ZamFear
11-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Didn't you ever own a Nintendo 64?
No. The only console I've ever owned was an Atari 2600. But the N64 controller still looks a heck of a lot more comfortable to use than that thing.

Anthile
11-01-2012, 09:19 AM
I laughed out loud when I saw this because it's more or less exactly what I expected. Razer is a ridiculous company.

Didn't you ever own a Nintendo 64?

The N64 controller is perfectly functional.

Labbes
11-01-2012, 10:10 AM
It docks to a keyboard and mouse. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX6jy4U30Qw

They don't have USB ports on that thing? Thanks iPad.

squirrel
11-01-2012, 01:08 PM
The screen is too small that it constrains my willingness to pay.

But 1280800 resolution means that GPU doesnt have to be very powerful, that's a relief. That's somewhere to keep the production cost under control.

But without price information it's really hard to evaluate this beauty. Afterall it's not that ground-breaking.

TailSwallower
11-01-2012, 01:13 PM
It looks like the only thing this could be used for is shooters. Lucky that's all anyone on PC plays anymore.

And sure, you can plug in a keyboard and mouse, but then you've still got those huge handlebars stuck to the side for absolutely no raisin. And yeah, as someone else mentioned, battery life will be terrible if it really can run high-end games with all the graphics options on.

I'm not convinced. I don't see how a tablet can represent the future of PC gaming. Could this be the future of tablet gaming? Sure, but I still don't see how this can replace a desktop or even a laptop.

Mistabashi
11-01-2012, 01:42 PM
The profit margin on most of their stuff is absolutely insane. Also I think they are actually a part of Belkin somehow.

I bought a Razer Nostromo n52TE controller. This was around 80$ when it first came out, and they are still hard to find under 60$.

Mine was on sale for 25$ and the only difference was a Belkin logo instead of Razer. They probably still earned some money for that.

That's not surprising, most of these brands don't actually manufacture anything themselves, and Razer is no exception. So basically when you buy a Razer mouse you're probably buying the same hardware that's in a dozen or so other mice, just slightly differently configured and with a different shell.

It's also not surprising that this thing looks like a tablet with a couple of controllers awkwardly bolted-on to the side, because that's pretty much how it would have come into being - Razer doesn't have the R&D or production facilities to actually design and build a tablet from scratch, all they will do is shop around the various OEMs that produce tablets for various brands and say "hey, can you make us one like that but with a really power-hungry CPU and a couple of controllers attached to it?". Obviously it's a bit more complex than that, but these types of companies love to make you think they're at the forefront of technological innovation when actually the're mostly just branding.

sabrage
11-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Audio is not an issue with Project Fiona and has never been any better than any other tablet with it’s Dolby 7.1 surround sound. (source (http://www.pinoytechnologies.com/its-a-tablet-and-pc-razers-project-fiona/), bold and punctuation errors not mine)

Do people really fall for this shit? Does anyone even know how surround sound works anymore? This boggles my mind. Nobody is that stupid.

Mistabashi
11-01-2012, 01:53 PM
(source (http://www.pinoytechnologies.com/its-a-tablet-and-pc-razers-project-fiona/), bold and punctuation errors not mine)

Do people really fall for this shit? Does anyone even know how surround sound works anymore? This boggles my mind. Nobody is that stupid.

Given the proliferation of "surround-sound" headphones, I really think a lot of people are that stupid.

FuriKuri!
11-01-2012, 01:55 PM
(source (http://www.pinoytechnologies.com/its-a-tablet-and-pc-razers-project-fiona/), bold and punctuation errors not mine)

No, no, you're just missing the audioDome(tm) helmet, shoulder mounted speakers and groinal subwoofer accessories.

jp0249107
11-01-2012, 02:14 PM
I'm actually saddened more by the fact that Firefall is associated with it. I really hope this blows over quickly and the game doesn't suffer because of it....

Actually....this may explain why they've been stuck in PvP testing for longer than I thought they would be. Developing another client and control scheme for this abomination would be quite the undertaking. And now I'm pissed.

Heliocentric
11-01-2012, 02:15 PM
You only have 2 ears, surround sound can be caused by intelligent sounds design in stereo. Sounds from behind are shaped by your ears, changing the pitch and amplitude, the collapse of the wave forms caused by directional sound could easily be simulated.

Surround sound is a scam by itself, what we really need is awesome stereo.

sabrage
11-01-2012, 02:42 PM
No, no, you're just missing the audioDome(tm) helmet, shoulder mounted speakers and groinal subwoofer accessories.
http://www.hifi-wiki.de/images/6/6e/Jecklin_Float_Electrostat.jpg http://elitechoice.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/subwoofer.jpg
TRUE SURROUND SOUND FOR HI-DEF EXTREEM GAMING

FuriKuri!
11-01-2012, 03:07 PM
That's brilliant.

LGM
11-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Add another 10 buttons somewhere on this thing and it's the Jaguar controller of tablet gaming!

SirKicksalot
11-01-2012, 06:36 PM
This will be the most powerful tablet on the market at launch and will be bundled with Windows 8. That's awesome. Shame about the undetachable sticks, they totally ruin it.

Williz
11-01-2012, 08:03 PM
I think this beats Fiona and will most likely be a HELL of alot cheaper

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/11/wikipad-prototype-ces-2012-hands-on/

mickygor
11-01-2012, 08:12 PM
I think this beats Fiona and will most likely be a HELL of alot cheaper

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/11/wikipad-prototype-ces-2012-hands-on/

On form factor maybe, but ice cream sandwich doesn't appeal to my inner gamer at all.

DigitalSignalX
12-01-2012, 01:43 AM
does it let you control robots though?

http://www.knickledger.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/real-steel.jpg

Nalano
12-01-2012, 01:53 AM
Where the fuck did you find that picture?

'Cause that shit is awesome.

DigitalSignalX
12-01-2012, 02:46 AM
Where the fuck did you find that picture?

'Cause that shit is awesome.

http://steelgetsreal.com/