PDA

View Full Version : My mouse and my keyboard are having an argument

Quasar
11-01-2012, 06:24 PM
So, ages ago, I got a Roccat Kova mouse as a free gift for subscribing to PC Gamer magazine - quite a good mouse, by all accounts. A while later I decided to replace my 10 year old keyboard with something a little less crusty, and got a Razer Arctosa. The problem is, the two devices really don't get along. When I start my PC, the mouse refuses to work unless I go through this bizarre little ritual:

1. Unplug the keyboard
2. Wait
3. Unplug the mouse
4. Wait
5. Plug in the mouse
6. Wait
7. Check that the mouse works
8. Plug in the keyboard
9. Get on with my life

Which, as you can imagine, is intensely annoying. I've managed to figure out a bit of a shortcut by unplugging the keyboard before switching on the PC, then plugging it back in when Windows is loaded, but that's still bloody stupid.

Any ideas? I have noticed that the Roccat Kova appears as a keyboard in the 'Devices and Printers' menu, presumably because it's a six-button mouse. Could that have something to do with it? As far as I know, I have the latest drivers/firmware for both. Oh, and both devices are connected via USB.

db1331
11-01-2012, 07:16 PM
That certainly is odd. It harkens back to the IRQ errors of days gone bye. Your computer treating your mouse like a keyboard certainly seems like it could have something to do with it. I guess it thinks it has two keyboards connected and doesn't know which to listen to?

slick_101
11-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Now that is strange. I have a roccat Kave and that has more buttons than the Kova and is picked up as a mouse. And it seems to get a long find with my G15. have you thought about changing the USB slots? also, Have you uninstalled all the drivers cleaned the registry so there is no trace and then done a fresh install?

Quasar
11-01-2012, 07:57 PM
I've had them in every USB slot I have, with no change. Haven't done the full sweep yet - Is that something I can actually do? Surely just having the mouse/keyboard plugged in would require it to have some kind of driver?

Oh, and I forgot to mention, this also happens when I wake the computer from standby. But only sometimes. Sometimes the mouse will wake it and the keyboard won't, and sometimes it's the other way around.

I'm starting to suspect this is the work of a mischievous, tech-savvy ghost.

FuriKuri!
11-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Long shot but try enabling/disabling 'Legacy USB' settings in your BIOS (BIOS being the setup screen you can get into by pressing DEL/F2/whatever when your PC first boots up).

You can also try wiping off the driver assignment to your usb ports in windows by using this - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Plugging your device back in after wiping the drivers should reinstall them. Perhaps this refresh will sort it out.