PDA

View Full Version : Question about Steam achievement statistics

Kodeen
11-01-2012, 11:02 PM
Does anyone know whether the percentages on a game's achievements page is out of people who merely own the game on Steam, or out of people who have actually played it? For example, 82% of people have the achievement for Cave Story where you get the first weapon. That's within a minute of starting up a game, and I can't imagine that a fifth of the people who 'played' it started it up for 4 seconds and just stopped.

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/CaveStory/achievements

Smashbox
11-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Can anyone think of an achievement that you get for starting a game once? There was one in the console Simpsons game, but that's not on Steam (or PC for all I know).

Fumarole
12-01-2012, 05:36 AM
Napoleon: Total War has an achievement (http://steamcommunity.com/stats/NapoleonTotalWar/achievements) for starting any campaign, battle or historical battle. Currently 93.4% of people have accomplished it. That seems to suggest that 6.6% of people have either not installed the game or not played it in any way after installing.

PeteC
12-01-2012, 06:29 AM
My guess is they're either playing in offline mode, have the overlay disabled or have just started the game to see if it works and then quit to carry on with whatever game they're currently playing.

Miker
12-01-2012, 07:31 AM
Given my crazy ass backlog, I can easily believe those numbers. Especially for Cave Story, which was part of the Humble Bundle. People could have bought it for other games and didn't install Cave Story.

DVD773
12-01-2012, 01:00 PM
^^ I have cave story, i have booted it but i haven't played it yet. I too have a backlog of games, which cave story is near the bottom. Would you recommend it?

Althea
12-01-2012, 01:08 PM
My guess is they're either playing in offline mode, have the overlay disabled or have just started the game to see if it works and then quit to carry on with whatever game they're currently playing.
Or that the achievements may be broken - a number of games seem to have broken ones that skew the stats.

Oshada
12-01-2012, 01:29 PM
I think Aquaria must have some of the lowest achievement success rates of any game on Steam, only 16.5% of players have achieved the easiest ​one.

Roufuss
12-01-2012, 02:17 PM
That's within a minute of starting up a game, and I can't imagine that a fifth of the people who 'played' it started it up for 4 seconds and just stopped.

To answer your original question, Steam counts every person who has the game, not just the people who have installed or played it. For example, I got Cave Story + during the Humble Bundle but haven't even installed it yet, but it counts me as among the achievement holders so that's where you get the slightly skewed numbers.

Its not so weird in the grand scheme of things, when you consider such a small, small amount of people actually finish their games (so its not weird to think there are people who don't even start them), according to this article:

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-08-17/tech/finishing.videogames.snow_1_red-dead-redemption-entertainment-software-association-avid-gamers?_s=PM:TECH

This article also gives you an insight into why games are going towards shorter campaigns. It also goes into how gamers these days simply have too many games so some people who start a game might not even make it to that first easy achievement before they move on.

I think the achievement tracking statistic is pretty interesting myself and I'd love to see Microsoft implement it on the 360 -- I'd love to see how many people go for the ridiculous achievements like "Collect all collectibles."

Kodeen
12-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Interesting. While that method might be interesting to see whose actually playing games they own, at the other end of the scale I feel it's counterproductive. For the hardest achievements that show 0.1% of players having gotten it, it might be up to 1%, depending on the game.

magnolia_fan
13-01-2012, 12:47 AM
If there's an achievement for getting the first weapon, and that's within a minute of starting a game, I wonder when I'll se an achievement for starting the game... What's the point of having an achievement for something that you do anyways to advance on the game? Achievements are supposedly something that you work hard to get...
*remembers the "engineer achievement" for pressing a button that you had to press anyway to get to the next part of the level*

Fumarole
13-01-2012, 12:50 AM
They're most likely for developers so they can know how many people reach certain parts of the game. This can be very useful information for them. Making this transparent to the players seems to encourage more players to advance further.

magnolia_fan
13-01-2012, 01:37 AM
I read somewhere (don't remember where, which is a shame) that sometimes games sell more based on how many achievements have, but didn't make much sense to me.
What you say makes sense, though.

alms
13-01-2012, 03:01 AM
I think Aquaria must have some of the lowest achievement success rates of any game on Steam, only 16.5% of players have achieved the easiest ​one.

Not surprised at all, Aquaria is utterly useless in teaching the player how to play. This design tour by one of the Rosen brothers is probably more informative than I could ever be on this matter:

http://youtu.be/1BpRsjF7QTM?t=3m58s

FTR, Defense Grid: The Awakening has one of the easiest achievements I know of, i.e. kill 1 alien, and still only about 96% of the users have it. If anyone knows of a game with an easier achievement let me know.

Fumarole
13-01-2012, 04:49 AM
If anyone knows of a game with an easier achievement let me know.As mentioned above Napoleon: Total War has one for simply starting a campaign or any type of battle. I don't know if there could be one easier, save perhaps for simply launching the game's executable.

Juan Carlo
13-01-2012, 06:37 AM
Not surprised at all, Aquaria is utterly useless in teaching the player how to play. This design tour by one of the Rosen brothers is probably more informative than I could ever be on this matter:

Plus Aquaria just takes to long to get to anything good. The early sections are far too big with far to little to do that's interesting in them. I don't blame people for giving up on that game.

Lukasz
13-01-2012, 03:14 PM
http://steamcommunity.com/id/lukaszthegreat/stats/HL2/?tab=achievements
I got an achievement for scoring 2 points in Black Mesa East but I did not get achievement for getting the grav-gun. No net - no achievement.
and i haven't played 60% of my games at all.