PDA

View Full Version : PC Games you actually keep coming back to

FuriKuri!
12-01-2012, 12:37 AM
I remember assembling one of those "Your top games ever" lists awhile back, in this case I think it was a top 25 (so plenty of flexibility there). I'm not going to reproduce it here but after I typed it all up I sat back and looked through the list. Sure the ordering was more-or-less representative of what I felt but I had a nagging feeling that a good chunk of them I would not really be able to recommend to a 'modern' gamer. They may well have been exceptional to me at the time, but were the bad graphics, poor interfaces and general buggyness really palatable any more? When was the last time I had actually played through these? Did I even play through some of these more than once? Really, did they offer anything unique and worthy of attention that had not been surpassed by sequels or later games?

So I present to you a list of games that I actually find myself playing over and over. Not necessarily every year, but they are all games that offer something unique and in an overall experience that is still enjoyable today.

1) Incubation: Battle Isle Phase 4 - This has always been something highly unique even in a somewhat sparse genre and was surprising at the time since it really had little in common with the rest of the Battle Isle series. It feels a lot more 'tactical' than other such games, and occaisonally comes close to puzzle territory. A lot of that is born from some highly unique weaponry and enemies and the strengths/weakness of each. This is further enhanced by placing fairly strict limitations on you - ammo is never as plentiful as you'd like and your units never veer into 'super soldier' territory like they do in other games. The graphics and environments suffer from being a bit flat but this is somewhat rescued by having a really great UI - simple, clean and rarely a hindrance. Last replay: currently replaying.

2) Alpha Centauri - I've only played Civ 5 from the 'main series' of games, but I much prefer the sci-fi flavour of this. The faux historical progression in Civ didn't gel with me and I find that I enjoy the aggressive nature of the planet itself. The different faction ideologies give the background a lot of believable detail whereas those in Civ seemed to be largely irrelevant outside of whatever predisposition you may have from their real namesakes. There's a lot of depth here and the game is extremely flexible to match your style of play. Last replay: 1 year ago.

3) XCOM Apocalypse - The 'main' three XCOM games all have a soft spot for me but this is the one I return to. This advanced every idea the first two XCOM games had in a very positive direction although to this day I have no idea why this game is graphically so much poorer than the previous games. Alien corruption in the government/corporations of your world became a lot more important and the cityscape and market mechanics made the world feel a lot more real than a few squares and dots on a globe. One thing I really admire this game for is that, as synonymous with the series as it may be, it offered an alternative to turn based combat. And it really worked! So well, in fact, that I can't recall doing a mission in the traditional mode. A great game and the highpoint in the series, although the UI makes me wtf awhile until I get the hang of it again. Last replay: 1 year ago.

4) Homeworld - There's a timeless beauty with this game which has never quite aged despite how blocky the polygons may appear to modern eyes. The stunning backgrounds and humbling sense of scale have never quite been surpassed even in space games not of this extremely sparse genre. It's quite challenging at times which tends to surprise me on replays, although I'm wise to a fair few tricks now to get around that. Last replay: 3 years ago.

5) Gridrunner++ - There's a lot to be said for being able to actually play a game within 2 seconds of clicking the icon to launch it (and I mean really playing it, not stuck on some bloody menu). Its extremely simplistic (although intensive) graphics are presented in a small window on your desktop - there's no fullscreen. There's no button to shoot - your ship shoots automatically and you control it with your mouse. It's an absolutely perfect blend of enjoyable manouvering and blasting followed by moments of sheer bastardry as Minter dials up the difficulty. Some levels you'll finish in seconds. Some you'll finish in days. But no matter how many times you may fail you'll come back. Always fun for a quick blast when you need to procrastinate over doing something more important. Last replay: 6 months ago

Honourable mentions - World of Warcraft, Doom 2, Serious Sam, Minecraft. Tempest 3000 would take the place of Gridrunner (another Minter epic) but it ain't on PC and even if you want to play it the hardware required is rare.

So what's your addiction?

Nalano
12-01-2012, 12:42 AM
The only thing that stopped me from playing Civ4 over and over again was Civ5. Nothing's replaced Alpha Centauri for me, tho, and I still have it installed.

WoW deserves honorable mention because I went back to it with gusto after a year's hiatus, once, but now that I've kicked the habit, never again.

As for games that have a disturbing quality of continually being reinstalled, there's also Company of Heroes, SimCity 4 and - believe it or not - Theme Hospital.

I still have the CDs for Homeworld, Cataclysm and Homeworld 2, but they refuse to play. I'd have reinstalled Syndicate and Syndicate Wars too, but I still can't get them to work on my machine either.

Smashbox
12-01-2012, 12:43 AM
SimCity 4 - Every couple of years I dust it off and build a region from farm-world to city, burbs and outskirts, download dozens of mods and have a blast. Then eventually I get angry about how poorly it's running and Can't Take Any More.

Absolutely one of my favorite games of all time, though.

DigitalSignalX
12-01-2012, 01:20 AM
Homeworld 2, but not since the upgrade from XP to Win7 about a year ago. Every so often I re-install Stalker, mess with some mods, play for a couple of days and then remove it again.

ZIGS
12-01-2012, 01:36 AM
Civilization, Trackmania, Deus Ex

Giaddon
12-01-2012, 02:09 AM
Alpha Centauri, Mirror's Edge, Knytt Stories, X-Com, the Fallouts.

Sic
12-01-2012, 02:32 AM
Transport Tycoon
Diablo 2
Starcraft (now, increasingly Starcraft 2 has replaced that)
Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders (best of the Doom era shooters, in my opinion)
Full Throttle (I've probably played it from beginning to end something like 20 times, probably the most underrated adventure game ever)
Civilization II and III

Rauten
12-01-2012, 02:47 AM
Knytt Stories

Surprised to find another person that keeps returning to Knytt every now and then. I don't know what is it about Nifflas' games, I just can't help but love them, and Knytt Stories more than any other (though Saira is a very close second).

Also Mirror's Edge, Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst, World of Warcraft (though I expect this one I won't play again), Minecraft, Lumines (don't judge me!), -insert current iteration of Civ here-, aaaand I think that's it.

outoffeelinsobad
12-01-2012, 02:53 AM
Far Cry 2 and STALKER.

Spacewalk
12-01-2012, 03:02 AM
The games that I keep going back to (although it's more like I take the occasional break from them) from are Quake, Doom/II and whatever games licensed the engine from the latter. Those and bloody Freecell.

Tikey
12-01-2012, 03:15 AM
Deus Ex is the obvious one. I must've played it more that a dozen times.
I actually have Homeworld installed.
I like to revisit some older games quite often but I love Jedi Outcast. Few Games got the saber and powers so right.
Max Payne 2 is another game I find myself playing again and again. Pretty much like Sands of Time.

zookeeper
12-01-2012, 03:19 AM
...and bloody Freecell.

Goddammit.

There goes the rest of my night.

jaheria
12-01-2012, 03:32 AM
The Gates of that man Baldur. Either or both. They're pretty much perfect. Easily more than a thousand hours over the years.

DigitalSignalX
12-01-2012, 04:36 AM
I forgot to mention TF2, off an on for a long while. It's frustrating because I'll join any number of pub servers and quickly get on top of the score card but when I get to a semi private or arena server my ass is immediately handed to me repeatedly as if I had never played before.

gwathdring
12-01-2012, 05:00 AM
I forgot to mention TF2, off an on for a long while. It's frustrating because I'll join any number of pub servers and quickly get on top of the score card but when I get to a semi private or arena server my ass is immediately handed to me repeatedly as if I had never played before.

I have a similar relationship with it. I don't play enough to be great, but I've sunk enough hours in and I enjoy it enough to be above average even after a long hiatus. While I genuinely don't care enough to try to get really really good, it can lead to a lot of frustration if I want to get away from the more crowded servers or onto some less popular maps but still feel like I'm a worthwhile part of the team. I've played way too much Turbine and 2Fort, so I can usually hold my own on those maps at least.

Mostly Push maps never clicked with me, despite being what seems the most popular game-mode. It's a great idea from a design standpoint, but I just don't enjoy it--and because I don't enjoy it as much I don't adapt my play style and then enjoy it less and it's a self-sustaining cycle of distaste.

In response to the thread proper, I keep coming back to Mirror's Edge. It is the game I have re-installed more than any other completed game. Never for especially long. I'll replay for a week or less and then remove it again. But I've done this quite a lot. I have a similar relationship with Trackmania, though I've never uninstalled it. Until this year, I always installed and played Guildwars for a few weeks at least once a year since I stopped playing regularly. Lastly, Sid Meier's Pirates! (the newer 3D one). I've never played it with any dedication or for any great period of time but it has a way of sneaking back onto my hard drive every time I contemplate replaying older games I genuinely loved when I played them--Neverwinter Nights, Civilization III, and so forth.

gwathdring
12-01-2012, 05:07 AM
Deus Ex is the obvious one. I must've played it more that a dozen times.
I actually have Homeworld installed.
I like to revisit some older games quite often but I love Jedi Outcast. Few Games got the saber and powers so right.
Max Payne 2 is another game I find myself playing again and again. Pretty much like Sands of Time.

Every time I play Outcast or Academy I change my mind about which one I prefer. I'm not really sure. I think Outcast was a better game when considering plot and level design in the mix. But sometimes I'm quite certain I prefer the mechanics of Academy. Oh well. There's something about both of those games. It's funny ... I played the demos a dozen times before finally buying the games. I remember having trouble tracking them down at first and reinstalling them from time to time to get another taste of the saber action. The force powers were allright, but it's the saber combat that really shone. It felt random for a while, but when I got used to it I decided that was a good thing. In online duels and against some of the more unfair enemies in the game it felt like winning was a matter of having slightly better control of something chaotic and unpredictable. Which, for better and worse, makes it feel incredibly real to me however fantastic and clunky the mechanics.

To be entirely fair, it probably helps that successfully maneuvering scarcely-controlled chaos is my video-game specialty. It's easier to overlook flaws in a game that makes you feel like a winner--deservedly or not.

Fumarole
12-01-2012, 05:28 AM
Fallout. Fallout never changes (its location on my HDD).

Snargelfargen
12-01-2012, 05:34 AM
Nice to see that Mirror's Edge is such a common choice. I still boot it up for quick playthrough every once in a while. Nothing quite like slipping on some ambient or edm music and flowing through a couple levels in an afternoon. Although the origignal music is pretty great too.

I always have Heroes of Might and Magic III installed on whatever computer I have. There's a ton of depth to the game once you get into the nitty gritty stats of the game. The larger maps against higher difficulty AI can also be very challenging. They can almost play like a game of chess, except you pay for the consequences 5 turns later when the enemy shows up on your doorstep. THere's also a huge amount of content out there in the form of user made maps, mods, 2 official expansions and 7 extra stand-alone campaigns.

I have a copy of HoMM 4 that I still haven't got around to installing, just because I'm not "done" with HoMM 3 yet. And 2 more games after that. I'll still be playing HoMM when I'm in my 80's it seems.

BenWah
12-01-2012, 05:52 AM
it's all downhill after 3, that was the best one. Only other one worth playing is the "tribes of the east" version of homm 5 (don't need original homm 5 to play it)

Once you're done with 3 I suggest playing King's bounty series

metalangel
12-01-2012, 07:34 AM
Fallouts, OpenTTD, X-Com Apocalypse.

Snargelfargen
12-01-2012, 07:58 AM
Once you're done with 3 I suggest playing King's bounty series

I've tried to play through the first one twice, but I always get stuck in the middle. Battles start to kill off significant portions of my army, and then I have to to go buy new troops and I end up shuttling back and forth between fights which gets boring fast.

Honourable mentions for content:
Baldur's Gate 1+2
Oni
Alpha Centauri
Age of Wonders
Liero

icemann
12-01-2012, 08:13 AM
7th Guest
Doom 1 & 2
Epic Pinball
Heretic
Hexen
Syndicate
Wolfenstein 3D
XCOM 1 & 2

Of those, Doom 2 would be the one I most frequently go back to what with the continued release of new wads, mods and TCs for it even to this day which is remarkable considering how long ago it was released (1995).

Kaira-
12-01-2012, 08:14 AM
ADoM is the one I revisit most frequently. One day I'll complete you. One day.

Also, The Witcher 1, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SOC, Hearts of Iron, Silent Hill 2 and Dawn of War.

LordHuggington
12-01-2012, 08:25 AM
Master of Orion 2 for me. Love going heavy into research, and just being a mecca for knowledge. The Antarans really piss me off sometimes though.

Also spend some time with Alpha Centauri now and again, and revisiting the Might and Magic and Wizardry series is something I like to do from time to time.

Need to keep a couple turn based strategy games on hand at all times as well, like HoMM III and Disciples II.

Squiz
12-01-2012, 08:46 AM
There are less (finished) games I come back to after a longer while these days, as there are too many interesting other games (and things besides gaming) that eat up my time. But there are - of course - some exceptions.

- Baldur's Gate I&II used to be such games, but I think I played them one time too often.
- Team Fortress 2 as well, played it for hundreds of hours and had larger gaps of abstinence in between, but I think I am "cured" of this now. I have a look at the new items and ideas from time to time but I don't play anymore. I guess that from some point onwards I didn't get better at it anymore and lost interest.
- Commandos 2 (currently, I don't own Commandos 1).
- Fallout in one shape or the other, mostly New Vegas and Fallout 2 lately, although to be fair NV has some DLC left in it and I only recently played and finished Fallout 2 for the first time ever.
- King's Bounty, why won't you let me finish you? ;(

t0mme
12-01-2012, 09:03 AM
Civilization II and IV (III is superseded by IV and V doesn't have the depth, fun and modding scene IV has)
Grand Prix II (Nostalgia and there are mods for every season from the 50's until now)
Football Manager 20xx (Biggest timesink ever)
The Sims 2 (sue me...)
Sim City (2000, 3000, I still have to get my head around 4 and the modding scene)
Total Annihilation (I like to turtle and in TA it's a viable strategy. And again, great modding scene)

mrpier
12-01-2012, 09:31 AM
Let's see, Half-life 2 usually have been replayed almost once a year, but not last year so maybe I'm "over" it. Team-fortress 2 has never been uninstalled. Audiosurf have been my goto quick-fix when I want to listen to music while gaming, but it has been replaced by the single player in Bloodbowl funnily enough. It's so easy to beat the AI now that it has become a zone-out game for me while I listen to music. Counter-strike 1.6 used to be a staple, but now I rarely log on unless one of my friends urges me to.

DeekyFun
12-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Monkey Island 1+2
Theme Hospital
Crusader: No Remorse
UFO Enemy Unknown

Those are the regular oldies that keep drawing me back in.

Grizzly
12-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Baldur's gate is a game I keep coming back to, yet never ever finish (contioniously restarting doesn't help).

pmh
12-01-2012, 10:21 AM
Every time I play Outcast or Academy I change my mind about which one I prefer. I'm not really sure. I think Outcast was a better game when considering plot and level design in the mix. But sometimes I'm quite certain I prefer the mechanics of Academy. Oh well. There's something about both of those games.

This is exactly how I feel about those two. Outcast had the better level design and story while Academy had more polished mechanics. Every time I'm faced with the mission-hub of Academy, I have to remind myself that actually playing the game will be worth it.

My list, in no particular order:
1) Jedi Knight II
2) Some incarnation of Quake 3 (currently Quake Live)
3) Some incarnation of CS
4) Some incarnation of The Elder Scrolls
5) X-Wing Alliance
6) X3

I missed out on most of the PC RPGs growing up, so I haven't really gotten to the point of "coming back" to them (I still haven't finished my co-op game of BG and BG2).

Oshada
12-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Age of Empires 2 (with the expansion), some of the old Putt-Putt games (ha).

Ravenger
12-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Tron 2.0 is probably my favourite game that I re-install every year or so. The Killer App patch makes it run very nicely on modern machines (including proper widescreen support), and due to the graphic style it still looks lovely.

Crysis also gets re-installed whenever I get a new PC or graphics card, just so I can see how well everything runs, but also because it's probably the best FPS of the last 5 years. Amazing that it's still better than almost everything else in the graphics department, even its sequel.

Also the Thief series. The first two look pretty awful, but the gameplay, story, and above all atmosphere are still excellent. You need a decent monitor to appreciate them however, because they were designed for the colour capabilites of CRT monitors, and cheap TN LCD panels can't render the dark levels or the colours properly.

Fiyenyaa
12-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Civilization IV (III is superseded by IV and V doesn't have the depth, fun and modding scene IV has)
Total Annihilation (I like to turtle and in TA it's a viable strategy. And again, great modding scene)

Yoink! I'll take those two, if you don't mind, and add;
Europa Universalis III - I play a campaign every now and then. Also Other Paradox Grand Strategy games, to a lesser extent.
Sword of the Stars - Because I love it's take on 4x.
Master of Orion 2 - Because I love it's take on 4x.
Dwarf Fortress - Insanely detailed strategy with RPG/Roguelike elements? Yes please, I'll take five.
Minecraft - Because building is fun (although I can only play online these days, since singleplayer is relatively unexciting).
An MMO - None in particular keep drawing me back, but I seem to always have one on the backburner. First it was WoW, then I played EVE for more than 2 years, and now I'm flitting between various (currently SWTOR) whilst I wait for Guild Wars 2.

SMiD
12-01-2012, 03:27 PM
BG1, 2, and ToB - The Infinity engine looks absolutely stunning in widescreen; shame about pathfinding.
NOLF 1 & 2 - Tom Goodman and Magnus Armstrong
C&C, RA, TS, RA2 - Then I pretend no other games were made :(

Tikey
12-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Outcast had the better level design and story while Academy had more polished mechanics. Every time I'm faced with the mission-hub of Academy, I have to remind myself that actually playing the game will be worth it.
Yes, Outcast level design is superb. Academy is good but the disjointed feel of the different missions doesn't help.
I actually prefer Outcast in gameplay too. With the double and two saber variations the game became much more chaotic.

For some reason though, Academy is much better in multiplayer. I think it's because they fixed some weird stuff regarding movement.

Outcast's story is silly but Academy's is just terrible (also it has Rosh).

Both are amazing games though.

LGM
12-01-2012, 03:53 PM
HL2 + Episodes

Trials 2

Sega Rally

..others I can't remember right now.

and about once a year I fire up Leisure Suit Larry in dosbox and play through the whole thing in one sitting. Always a good time! Al Lowe rocks! Oh, and I play the original, parser interface version, not the lame mouse driven version.

Hordriss
12-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Warhammer: Dark Omen - It's had a place on every PC I've owned since it was released. Other than that, one or more Civilization games, Monkey Island 1-3 and Evil Genius. I can see SpaceChem becoming an addition to this list in the future.

Duckee
12-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Dungeon Keeper and Doom 95!

amusingthebrood
12-01-2012, 04:17 PM
The Civ series has always been the one that keeps sucking me back in. First II, then III, and currently IV (I've not tried V yet, maybe one day when it is cheap and I don't have so many other games to play).

I quit WoW quite a few of times, and kept going back. My last cessation will be final though; my wife will have to work very hard to convince me otherwise.

Serious Sam is the other one, it is my go-to if I need some mindless blasting, and I can't see that changing. It is fun, easy to play in short bursts and as strange as this seems, I don't find it repetitive.

It is strange though; there are many games that I loved dearly, put many hours into and often have a strong desire to play again, but when it comes to it I very rarely even get as far as installing them. The X-COMs, UT, Caesar III/Pharoah, Descent, Warcraft 2, and so on.

Ooo, I almost forgot an important one: Advanced Wars: DS. That gets wheeled out every so often, and will undoubtedly continue to do so.

Lukasz
12-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Transport Tycoon. Cesar 3, Fallout (altough haven't played it for 2 years now or so). Now I long for Settlers 2 and it is getting stronger and stronger

db1331
12-01-2012, 04:36 PM
To name a few:

Monkey Island 1 Special Edition (love popping back and forth between original and enhanced graphics with the push of a button)
Deus Ex (of course)
BioShock
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Morrowind

Giaddon
12-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Now I long for Settlers 2 and it is getting stronger and stronger

*Ahem (http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/57/Settlers+II,+The+-+Gold+Edition.html)*

Add to my list Rise of Nations and Rise of Legends, and Disciples 2.

Roufuss
12-01-2012, 05:09 PM
A more direct link (as its kind of odd to link to Abandonia since it just links to GOG):

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/the_settlers_2_gold_edition

Kind of pricey at $10 but that's Ubisoft for you.

Giaddon
12-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Oh, weird, Abandonia used to offer a download.

Well, there are plenty of other places to get it. A quick google will do you.

Wizardry
12-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Interesting thread. For me it's:

Wizardry 6, 7 and 8 - Usually importing my party from one to the other, but sometimes creating a completely new party for 8 due to the changes present. Still great fun today. Definitely the best blob RPGs around. It doesn't really have any stiff competition at all.

Might and Magic 3 and 4+5 (World of Xeen) - Still fun. Really easy to start up and slip into. Really addictive. Just walking from town to town and dungeon to dungeon killing things, finding loot, solving puzzles, leveling up. These are definitely the RPGs to go to when you want to chill out.

The Gold Box series - Any of them, though I always play from the start of each series in order. Pool of Radiance came first and it's also one of the best in terms of plot and encounter variety. The rest of the games are more polished, slightly more user friendly and usually higher level. Turn-based tactical goodness. And Pools of Darkness remains one of the hardest CRPGs of all time.

db1331
12-01-2012, 05:29 PM

Wizardry 6, 7 and 8 - Usually importing my party from one to the other, but sometimes creating a completely new party for 8 due to the changes present. Still great fun today. Definitely the best blob RPGs around. It doesn't really have any stiff competition at all.

Might and Magic 3 and 4+5 (World of Xeen) - Still fun. Really easy to start up and slip into. Really addictive. Just walking from town to town and dungeon to dungeon killing things, finding loot, solving puzzles, leveling up. These are definitely the RPGs to go to when you want to chill out.

The Gold Box series - Any of them, though I always play from the start of each series in order. Pool of Radiance came first and it's also one of the best in terms of plot and encounter variety. The rest of the games are more polished, slightly more user friendly and usually higher level. Turn-based tactical goodness. And Pools of Darkness remains one of the hardest CRPGs of all time.

Out of curiosity, what is the newest game you've bought? I don't mean newest as in you just bought it last week. I mean what year was the game originally released?

SMiD
12-01-2012, 05:48 PM

So which of these will you be using for your RPS LP?

Pseudo310
12-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Team Fortress 2 is the biggest one.

Wizardry
12-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Out of curiosity, what is the newest game you've bought? I don't mean newest as in you just bought it last week. I mean what year was the game originally released?
I'm not sure. I'd have to check.

So which of these will you be using for your RPS LP?
I'm not sure. I don't really die much in any of those games any more. Well, unless I purposefully make a shitty party, and even then I still won't die in the Might and Magic games.

zookeeper
12-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Jagged Alliance 2 & Fallouts.

Apparently I enjoy turned-based gun violence.

Skalpadda
12-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Crysis - I've lost count of how many times I've played through the first couple of levels. It's still unmatched as a hide-and-seek fisticuffs simulator with crazy physics explosions. Only ever finished it once though - crappy aliens etc.

KotOR 2 - Also only finished once, but keep coming back to it now and then, to tease Kreia and soak up the atmosphere. The last great Star Wars game.

Warcraft 3 - Because sometimes it's nice to just build a sweet base and order some little men/orcs/elves/zombies to their deaths. Also a nostalgic reminder of how much I enjoyed WoW back in the day, before theorycrafting and points grinding ruined it all.

Audiosurf - It makes music more fun! (well, some music)

Team Fortress 2 - It's just always there, ready to give you a healthy dose of humorous manshooting. I'm a bit rubbish at it, but that's ok.

Half Life 2 - Because it's Half Life and we haven't had a new one yet.

I think Portal 2 and Trine 2 might end up being games I replay every now and then in the future. Both fairly short, easy-going, enjoyable experiences.

Lukasz
12-01-2012, 07:08 PM
*Ahem (http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/57/Settlers+II,+The+-+Gold+Edition.html)*

Add to my list Rise of Nations and Rise of Legends, and Disciples 2.
i have it on a cd, which i bought, i think last, century. not original release but first budget release.

Oh, weird, Abandonia used to offer a download.

Well, there are plenty of other places to get it. A quick google will do you.
well duh. Piratebay, isohunt... what else. Plenty of places to pirate it.

Outright Villainy
13-01-2012, 02:06 AM
Tf2 is always in regular rotation for me. takes me around 2 solid days to get good at it each time though, so often I'll just go on a tf2 bender for a week or so every month. As other's have said too, Mirror's edge is absolutely lovely for a quick run through now and again. I'm also on my 4th or 5th run of Half life 2 now too.

Juan Carlo
13-01-2012, 06:31 AM
Left4Dead2 -560 hours. I don't play as much as I used to, but usually two or three times a month I'll still play.

Vexing Vision
13-01-2012, 11:05 AM
I have a few games I will always go back to for a replay. Until Arkham City came out, Arkham Asylum was one of these (but has likely been replaced now).

Wizardry 8 is something I restart once every 15 months. I love the voice-acting of my own party. Glorious.

Dwarf Fortress. Every few months I build a fortress until I have too many dwarfs for it to be fun. But I love building and designing new starting areas.

Baldur's Gate 2. 5 full playthroughs so far. I own the game since it came out. One of them multiplayer. Another multiplayer playthrough with three people scheduled in two years. (I take my gaming schedule very seriously).

Mount & Blade: Warband. There is nothing, NOTHING more glorious than personally leading a cavalry-only charge into a formation of infantry and archers.

I have a strong feeling that Saint's Row 3 will join the rank of games I repeatedly play. So. Much. Fun.

I'll have at least one more playthrough of Skyrim in a few months. Maybe two.

Casimir Effect
13-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape: Torment head the list for me and will forever be timeless.

Rome: Total War is also a game that can wreck a fortnight or more of my life so has to be handled with care.

I'd think I can confidently put FarCry 2 on this list now as I've now gone through it 3 times and it has become my goto game for a modern-era shooting fix. Otherwise Unreal Tournament 2004 covers the need to blast away with energy weapons and is something I've been playing now for the last 8-9 years.

There's also bunch of games which I feel will makes the list but need some time to prove themselves. These would be things like Mass Effect 2, Alpha Protocol, The Last Remnant, Skyrim, Terraria, The Witcher 2 and maybe Torchlight. Time will tell.

asskicker
13-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Team Fortress 2 is the biggest one.

Yep, I can't stop playing it. :P

Olero
13-01-2012, 12:16 PM
I have a lot of these:

Jagged Alliance 2, with the 1.13 update of course. Still as addicting as before, but I now immediately put Ira on mute and rush all plot dialog.
The Guild 1 & 2: Actually preferring The Guild 1, for a laidback carreer as robber, priest or innkeeper. The games are a bit buggy sometimes, but there are some good mods around to fix that
Diablo 2: Until the "recent" update that made Battlenet required (which made the "read only" trick no longer working), I chopped Diablo and his minions countless times to pieces, to get all the sW33t l00t...
Trackmania: The sheer fun keeps me coming back. The utter frustration makes me quit again.
Heroes of Might & Magic 3, 4 and 5: Very addicting but very slow after a while.

TailSwallower
13-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Fallout & Fallout 2 - These are the main ones that I've kept coming back to over the years. Only problem is that I'm compelled to play them the same way (small guns, intelligence, fairly 'good') so they're a bit stale now. What I really want is for Bethesda to get Obsidian to finish Van Buren so I have some new Fallout to play.
If anyone has some TCs to recommend I'm all ears. Also, other games that might fill the gap (though, that's a whole other thread I'm sure).

Starcraft

And that's about it I think. Honourable mentions to Deus Ex, Homeworld and Jagged Alliance 2 as games that I could see myself coming back to, but so far I haven't actually done it...

Dariune
13-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Hmmm for me its

Ufo: Enemy Unknown or X-Com Apocalypse
Baldurs Gate 2
Mount & Blade Warband (And mods)
Fallout 2
Bioforge
Flashback
Civ 4 (though im a bit bored of that now and Civ 5 was a bit average)
Morrowind
Terraria

Spakkenkhrist
13-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Crysis - because it's pretty and I have to see what it looks like whenever I upgrade.
UFO Enemy Unknown - Consumed my evenings as a 14 year old on the Amiga and is doing the same currently, my tactics are a little more refined now though.
Frontier - because it's the greatest game of all time of course.
GTA San Andreas - Just fun for a quick blast.

coldvvvave
13-01-2012, 03:48 PM
UFO Enemy Unknown - not much to say, it's one of the best games ever.

Jagged Alliance 2 v 1.13 - tons of guns and pleasant micro managment. Very entertaining at the beginning when you have limited resources and enemies are mostly poorly equipped and trained redshirts. Though it stops being amusing at some point( when you and enemies get big guns, mortars and sniper rifles). I drop it there to begin anew six months later.

Mirrors Edge - game itself is not even that good but mix of stylish visuals and nice music gives it an atmosphere I enjoy very much. Plot and characters are terrible. But running is fun.

Septerra Core - sure it's dangerously weaboo, some parts are ripped straight out of some anime I know. Still it has a nice setting, design, amusing characters and some nice dialogues. Combat and stats are terrible, it's also unfairly hard with all pixel hunting and guessing games( what character do I take with me on this misson?) but who cares.

Half-Life - I'm replaying all VALVE-made HL games in a row every couple of years, HL2 with Graphic Update mod that makes visuals a bit better( not to be confused with Fake Factory Cinematic Mod).

Deus Ex - well, it's Deus Ex. Though after Human Revolution I might never really return since HR spoiled me( it had actually working stealth and accurate guns).

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines - only game with good story AND good voiceacting AND good music AND good licensed songs. Sadly, the gameplay is mostly terrible, but since it's more of an interactive story I still love the game.

khaz
13-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Conflict Freespace 1 + 2 - Top five all time favourite games ever and with the game now open source the mods and TCs have turned it into something special. But even in Vanilla I still get goose bumps when I see the Colossus for the first time or my how panic stricken wingman screaming "DIVE! DIVE! DIVE!" in the final mission makes me terrified beyond all measure.

Open TTD

Space Rangers 2: Reboot (To this day i'm terrified of attempting any maths related puzzles, argh)

Titan Quest: Immortal Throne (With the fan patch which fixed a fair few things)

Jedi Knight 2: Outcast - I have spent far too much of my life playing this game in MP and especially, the instagib CTF mod with force jump. I much preferred it to Academy.

Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne + DotA - HoN addict atm but DotA keeps dragging me back

TF2

L4D2

I also recently picked up Commandos 1 and 2, amazing games. The former in particular being brutally unforgiving and the way the sequel expanded on the mechanics still amazes me to this day. I so miss isometric games, I love how the maps always have little touches added here and there to bring them to life.

HL2 and Episodes 1 and 2 (Especially 2)

Red Alert series - ridiculous and fun!

Serious Sam games :D

Settlers 2 - the anniversary edition Ubisoft released a few years ago is actually rather good.

PoP:SoT and PoP:WW - the widescreen hacks allows for some spectacular vistas on HD monitors. Most people hate the second game due to the music and the awful Prince (Not to mention a game breaking bug) but it is the superior game on all counts to Sands. Especially in level design, the sequences to reach the last few health upgrades require some rather dexterous handling and thought. Not to mention the time travel thing, I loved everything about this game (Aside from the shitty music and Prince of course). If you hate the combat and boss fights, set the game to easy, the monsters die in 2/3 hits.

CoD4 - I absolutely adore this game and is also the last CoD game I played before the sequels went to shit. Hardcore only naturally, I detest normal mode.

Grim Fandango - Manny removing his robe and stilts to this day makes me giggle. :)

magnolia_fan
13-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Diablo II :)
I can play that one over and over.
Also Silent Hill 3, even if it's a pain to use the keyboard to control the game.

TailSwallower
13-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Forgot Syndicate. Keep coming back to that one every few years and I still love it.

Voon
14-01-2012, 08:58 AM
I've finished Mirror's Edge and straight away went back playing it on Hard with a no death-by-bullets kills speedrun. After that, I went for the time trials; which is pretty much the only game mode I'm playing in Mirror's Edge, nowadays.

Alpha Protocol because I really want to finish this game the way I want it. Asshole Thorton, buries Halbech and Alpha Protocol, saves/rules world. All that with a lumberjack's beard. I finished it 5 times and still I'm not satisfied with my last playthrough. Going for my 6th as a Spy, killing when necessary.

Fallout 1 and 2 because the same reason why I spent 5 playthroughs in Alpha Protocol. I demand satisfaction!

Unreal Tournament GOTY because I love to train myself on how to accurately point guns and killing others there with finesse (which I still suck at) and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 beacuse of the Rush servers.

Also, SimCity/Tropico/RollerCoaster Tycoon games just because I love managing an island/city/theme park no matter how many times I would bankrupt myself

I forgot to mention STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl. Kept coming back to The Zone because it's like my second home, there. Dirty, dangerous, radioactive, full of mutants. Ace.

Nova
14-01-2012, 10:02 AM
WarCraft 3 + TFT: mostly for DotA these days although I haven't played for some months now.

Diablo 2 and Titan Quest: whenever I feel the urge for some Hack&Slay I go back to one of those, often both.

Max Payne 2 (&1): The single player game I replayed the most.

Occasionally I replay the other classic (Thief 2, BG&E, TLJ, Dreamfall, Broken Sword), but not regularly.

ran93r
14-01-2012, 03:42 PM
I know people snigger at it behind their rose-tinted doggles but I have lost count of the amount of times I have played through Thief 3 (Freeth, Thi3f, who knows).

ReverendMoosey
14-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Found myself completing Bastion more times than is probably healthy. L4D2 is usually trotted out a few times a month too. Longest running one would have to be Alpha Protocol; doing a pacifist run in that can get so frustrating at times.

Sweedums
14-01-2012, 04:43 PM
i would go back and play starcraft if it wasnt for starcraft 2, instead i play the SC2:BW mode, that basically replicates sc1 within sc2, with the nice graphics.

other games i just cant stop going back to include the ship, audiosurf (always the first game i install on a fresh re-format), and i occasiionally jump back on seven kingdoms 2. that game is still a great laugh.

EDIT: oh and warcraft 3 for the tower defences... seriously, no paid tower defence game has even come close to being as fun as the WC3 ones....

Caleb367
14-01-2012, 04:46 PM
Descent and Planescape Torment. Seriously, every now and then I'm reinstalling those and playing them again for the n-th time.

Also, C&C Generals and its abundance of mods, especially Shockwave, Cold War Crisis and the maybe disappeared Rise of the Reds.

Voon
14-01-2012, 04:46 PM
Longest running one would have to be Alpha Protocol; doing a pacifist run in that can get so frustrating at times.

I feel your pain

DevinSmoth
14-01-2012, 11:26 PM
XCOM: UFO Defense
Dwarf Fortress
Liero:Counterstrike edition
Rise of Nations

SirGeek
15-01-2012, 12:17 AM
Serious Sam: First and second Encounter occasionally gets fired up when I'm bored. Also I can never tire of Curse of Monkey Island.

Lukasz
15-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Septerra Core - sure it's dangerously weaboo, some parts are ripped straight out of some anime I know. Still it has a nice setting, design, amusing characters and some nice dialogues. Combat and stats are terrible, it's also unfairly hard with all pixel hunting and guessing games( what character do I take with me on this misson?) but who cares.
really? i am playing it for the very first time (just returned to chosen palace) right now and while i might replay it years from now i can't imagine it being a game you actually keep coming back. the combat system is simplistic and with fights being so so common the game is a bit too tiresome for my liking.

Ritashi
15-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines Easily the best RPG I have ever played, despite all the bugs. The World of Darkness setting of course is absolutely amazing and is captured so well in this game. The choices you make, the characters you meet and interact with, they all seem real. And the game makes me care like no other I have ever played. It makes me care, but it doesn't let me be the "good guy", because there's all sorts of conflicting loyalties and moralities I'm being presented with, and I have to continually choose; should I let an innocent human go, and put the entire vampire race at risk? What if they're an old friend, from a life that doesn't even seem real anymore? Do I trust the man who spared my life, or the man who "everyone" says forced him to come to that decision? Self-sufficiency or security, freedom or justice? This game gives you no moral high ground to stand on that it does not as quickly pull out from under you. This game aged incredibly well. Ya the combat isn't great, but it's not hard. I keep going back to this game, because there's always another way to play, and it's truly a different experience every time.

archonsod
15-01-2012, 08:55 PM
1) Incubation: Battle Isle Phase 4 - This has always been something highly unique even in a somewhat sparse genre and was surprising at the time since it really had little in common with the rest of the Battle Isle series.

If you haven't played it I'd recommend you pick up Odium / Gorky 17 from GoG. It utilises a similar combat mechanic, though this time it's wrapped in more of an RPG than a wargame.

Couple for me:

Emperor of the Fading Suns - It's a turn based Wargame / 4X which includes full planetary maps as well as space battles, in a setting which feels a lot like the bastard child of Warhammer 40K and Dune.

Missionforce Cyberstorm - Another turn based wargame, this time featuring huge mechs and weird cybernetic alien types. It had humour, complexity and depth. Was also one of the many splinters of the Star siege universe. Also notable as the original contained two copies of the game, one of which you were happily encouraged to give away to a friend to play multiplayer.

Space Colony - Firefly's unremarked classic imho. The Sims meets Stronghold somewhere just North of Red Dwarf territory.

FuriKuri!
15-01-2012, 09:04 PM
If you haven't played it I'd recommend you pick up Odium / Gorky 17 from GoG. It utilises a similar combat mechanic, though this time it's wrapped in more of an RPG than a wargame.

Thanks for the heads up, I vaguely recall playing a demo of this back in the day - I'll get into it as soon as I've got the time!

sejm
15-01-2012, 09:34 PM
For me it would have to be SWAT 3 and SWAT 4 - simply because there has not been a game like either of them since their release.

Plenty of tactical shooters but nothing like these.

spcd
15-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Doom

I will never stop playing Doom. I always find a new mappack to play, there are so many, and people still make new maps on a regular basis.

Diablo 2

The ultimate hack&slash game. The ultimate addiction to loot. After 12 years there are still so many builds I haven't tried yet. Currently playing a melee sorc

Ignition

To me this is the ultimate arcade racing game. It only has 7 tracks. But all of them are exciting and they stay fun. There exists no arcade racer with a bigger fun factor than Ignition. And that's a fact!

Nethack

Nethack intrigues me immensely. I never made much progress. I always die very early... but the game keeps attracting me. At this rate it will take me 20 years to ascend (finish the game)

acroman56
15-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Dawn of War: Dark Crusade

I just cannot help it, I know the new races this expansion introduced are massively overpowered to the point of breaking the game but that just makes playing as Necron or Tau more fun! While I do enjoy DOW2 it never clicked with me like the first game did. I think it is simply because I prefer the more traditional style of RTS that I am used to rather than the more squad based gameplay of the sequel. Would love to see Dawn of War 3 go back to this older style just because the graphics are starting to look a little ropey now :D

plivesey
15-01-2012, 11:50 PM
Whenever I tire of the current-day RPGs I always find myself going back to Gothic 2:NotR. It's challenging, full of personality and character, and exploring is fun and rewarding. Risen wasn't a bad attempt, but it just didn't capture the essence of what made the first two Gothic games great.

coldvvvave
16-01-2012, 02:21 PM
really? i am playing it for the very first time (just returned to chosen palace) right now and while i might replay it years from now i can't imagine it being a game you actually keep coming back. the combat system is simplistic and with fights being so so common the game is a bit too tiresome for my liking.
Yeah, really. I just love the beginning and mid-game, the characters and setting, the voiceacting( seriously) and locations. It has some strange charm and every now and then I just want to reinstall it.

Prodirus
16-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Mirror's Edge
This has been picked several times, but the sheer beauty of the city and the joy of chaining together moves just keeps making me come back.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Story is a bit naff, but the combat mechanics just feel right. Every first-person fantasy game should have combat like this. I'm looking at you, Skyrim.

Driver: San Francisco
A fairly recent game, but I've probably completed it 6 times since release. Driving physics in this game is rather arcadey, but man, is it fun as heck. The dialogue is pretty funny too, even though the story is fairly ridiculous.

Beyond Good & Evil
I'll never get tired of this game. The story is great, the major characters are all memorable, and exploring every single nook and cranny to find hidden items and animals to take pictures of is so addictive. I also love joyriding around Hillys in the hovercraft. Only problems I have with the game is the stealth bits and the camera.

Ruralgeek
16-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Fallout, Deus Ex, and Counter Strike(But I get worse everytime I put it down for awhile)

kataras
16-01-2012, 04:20 PM
STALKER
Even reading something about one of the 3 games makes me wanna install them again and play, although I rarely play all the way through them again. Luckily with the abundance of mods for SOC and COP, there is something new to see every time.
On the downside, it takes time away from new games I still haven't played.

Wulf
16-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Pretty much Uru. I can't get over how beautifully and well constructed that game is. You know, with all of today's special effects, including tessellation and whatnot, games still tend to not have the same ability to induce wonder that something like Uru did. Cyan Worlds really did make worlds. Brilliant, beautiful worlds, worlds that were internally consistent, magnificently written, and just so amazing visually that you couldn't help but gawp at them.

All projects are a labour of love to a degree, but with Cyan Worlds it really came through from everyone involved. It wasn't "just a job" for anyone there, because every aspect of Uru was perfected. And the end result is that I've played it to death. I've played it by myself, I've played it with people, and to this day it still has some of the most amazing locations in a game that I've ever been to. Sometimes I just go back to Uru with everything unlocked just to have a walk around. Sometimes I take a friend.

And Uru feels like an old friend itself. Going back is saying "Hello, I haven't forgotten you. I remember all the things that happened here. I remember sitting on this bridge with a few people. I remember the first time my overweight hippie donned a Maintainer suit. I remember the tree. I remember gazing up at the Great Zero for the first time. I remember Shroomie. And I remember one of the best damned introductions to an adventurous quest that I've ever been given. I remember this desert. I remember seeing stuff here from the past Myst games." And so on, and so on.

I could talk lovingly about every age that was included with Uru, and the ones that were added later. Why aren't there games like this any more? Why can't I wander through a bizarre world with a friend, using my head to solve puzzles, instead of--to coin a phrase by Yahtzee--playing games where the only puzzle is to point at a person/thing and click shoot/cleave. When did gaming become something only for either dumb fun or for solo play?

I could really go for a cooperative puzzle game about now. Miss you, Cyan Worlds.

I expect that I'll make my return to Uru again this year and do the same thing. Either with friends or by myself. Just because. Uru is a special game to me, and one that I don't want to leave buried in the past.

(Yes, I know there's Trine 2 and Portal 2, both of which I played and really enjoyed. But those are the only two recent examples that I can think of that aren't competitive in nature. There are just so few of them.)

Stardog
17-01-2012, 07:59 AM
Civ 3

Really small install, and neat graphics.

Knights of Honor

It's a bit like Civ in real-time. I don't do the battles, but the rest of the game is perfect. I always take Scotland to victory, although it gets quite easy after a while.

Others

FIFA/PES/Football Manager that you can jump into for 5-10 minutes. Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom and MTA: San Andreas are also good.

GothicEmperor
17-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Medieval 2: Total War. It's just so much fun; it's part empire-simulator, part battle smulator, part noble-family simulator. Rome: Total War would be one if I got to get the Steam version to work properly, or if I can find my physical copy somewhere.

hamster
17-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Uru sounds cool - what is it? Is it really old?

Hurmferd
17-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Long time lurker, first time poster here.

Baldur's Gate 2.

I love RPG's and BG2 had it all: dragons, powerful evil dudes, NPC's with personality who interacted with each other, interesting and varied quests (IMO), mods, team play and strategy. I'm playing Skyrim right now and am having fun, but I still go back to BG2 every now and then.

Other favorites that I'm tempted to go back to: System Shock and SS2, STALKER, Thief 1 & 2.

H.

Odeon
17-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Civilization The original game that fits on two floppy disks! CIV.EXE's data modified property is 12/03/1991. 8-)

For a while I couldn't get it to run very well on XP (mostly on a locked-down work PC), but at some point I got it to run perfectly in XP and Win7 using Command Prompt. Once I went to x64 though, I couldn't get it to run using the normal channels since it's a 16-bit program. If I wanted to fight with it, I'd try DosBox with it, but lately I've been too busy with life and the game I play more than any other over the past 4+ years, AfterWorld (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?2704-A-quot-new-quot-indie-MMO).

Edit: Civilization works great with DOSBox 0.74. 8-)

Nalano
17-01-2012, 06:25 PM
but lately I've been too busy with life and the game I play more than any other over the past 4+ years, AfterWorld (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?2704-A-quot-new-quot-indie-MMO).

I've been learning not to click any of your links.

Odeon
17-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Yeah, sorry about that. I keep coming back to the same subject and I just can't help it. 8-(

I don't work for them or anything, I just really like that game. Plus, they seem to have 0 budget and interest in advertising their work. They've got a Facebook page (blah) and their web site and stuff, and in the past they've added their game to a few sites like MMORPG.com, but they haven't done any real advertising in a long time. It's probably because they're such a small group, but it's definitely one of those "under the radar" games that deserves a lot more attention.

I'm a total addict and can't help but share the game with as many people as possible.