PDA

View Full Version : Rome Total War mods

vinraith
12-01-2012, 09:57 PM
SO I'm considering taking another stab at Rome Total War. It's been a long time, back in my day Rome Total Realism 6 and Europa Barborum were all the rage among folks who wanted a more historical, slightly deeper game than was provided by vanilla. I know RTR 7 come out recently, I've no idea what's going on with EB these days, and I'm wondering if there's anything new I don't know about. In short, if a (moderate) history nerd wanted to fire up RTW and mod it right now, what would be his best choice?

Heliocentric
12-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Economics of vanilla are broken beyond repair. You buy units just to avoid drowning in wealth.

I always used the not that realistic "Rome: total realism".

Unaco
12-01-2012, 10:50 PM

This. Play it on hard/very hard (I think), and it's great. I still think this is the best TW experience to be had. For added bonus, and realism, play it as the Romans did (or would have)... field realistic Roman armies, and organise them as they would have, use their tactics. There used to be a really good guide on it, somewhere, don't think I can find it though.

vinraith
12-01-2012, 10:57 PM
Hmm, sounds like I should give RTR 7 a try then. I always liked that one, back in the day.

Heliocentric
13-01-2012, 12:33 AM
For added bonus, and realism, play it as the Romans did (or would have)... field realistic Roman armies, and organise them as they would have, use their tactics. There used to be a really good guide on it, somewhere, don't think I can find it though.
Or elephants vs wardogs ftw. Blob enough dogs together, attack elephants and watch dogs fly into the air by the dozen.

Awesome.

vinraith
13-01-2012, 01:00 AM
This. Play it on hard/very hard (I think), and it's great. I still think this is the best TW experience to be had. For added bonus, and realism, play it as the Romans did (or would have)... field realistic Roman armies, and organise them as they would have, use their tactics. There used to be a really good guide on it, somewhere, don't think I can find it though.

That would imply I was going to play the Romans. Who wants to play the guys that are supposed to win? I'm going to take the Macedonians and restore the Empire!

Unaco
13-01-2012, 01:27 AM
Or elephants vs wardogs ftw. Blob enough dogs together, attack elephants and watch dogs fly into the air by the dozen.

Awesome.

Far as I can remember, Total Realism didn't have dogs.

Casimir Effect
13-01-2012, 01:35 AM
Economics of vanilla are broken beyond repair. You buy units just to avoid drowning in wealth.

Some of us like broken economics. Some of us like fielding armies entirely composed of cavalry which pour out of Macedonia to the conquer the ends of the Earth in about 100 turns.

Seriously, the expansion Barbarian Invasion fixed the economy and made it harder to amass a decent amount of money. I think I actually prefer BI to the main game now, oddly enough. There as just more uncertainty about it as opposed to vanilla Rome where I knew exactly how everything would play out after about 10-20 turns.

Can't really recommend any mods sa I only ever used to alter the ini files to fit whimsy. I've heard good things about SPQR - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=4328577#post4328577 and Roma Surrectum - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=65725 so you could give those a look.

Fiyenyaa
13-01-2012, 01:46 AM
I've no idea what's going on with EB these days

It's still ace. I don't know what release was available when you were playing, but the final version (1.2) has been out for a while, is fairly stable, and a heap of fun. Check it out here (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=207235), if you want.

Also, they are making EB2 at the moment, as a mod for Medieval 2 Kingdoms. No public release yet, but check it out here (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=454) for info.

Grizzly
13-01-2012, 07:25 AM
EB is good.

There is also a mod called "Roma Surrectum", which is quite interesting. It does not aim to be as historic as EB and RTR are, but it is different in several ways from those other mods.

csuzw
13-01-2012, 09:44 AM
On a slightly related topic, are there any mods for any of the TW games that somehow force relatively small battles even in late game (I'm not sure how this would be achieved but people have done clever things with mods). I much prefer smaller scale battles (~4-6 units per side) to 1+ full stack clashes that tend to become the norm after a few turns. I don't mind the odd large battle but when it's every fight I just get tired of it.

Duckee
13-01-2012, 03:04 PM
A bit off topic, but I have a soft spot for Medieval 2's mod The Third Age. LOTR mods is a winner in my book, especially when it is so well made as this one. Curse CA for disallowing (not releasing SDK) development of mods for their newer games :(

Cooper
13-01-2012, 03:26 PM
For something very different, I'm a bit of a fan of the attempts to work through Bronze Age Epic Poetry into strategic war games:

Artesia: The Epic Cycle is worth checking out:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=366742

Grizzly
13-01-2012, 09:48 PM
On a slightly related topic, are there any mods for any of the TW games that somehow force relatively small battles even in late game (I'm not sure how this would be achieved but people have done clever things with mods). I much prefer smaller scale battles (~4-6 units per side) to 1+ full stack clashes that tend to become the norm after a few turns. I don't mind the odd large battle but when it's every fight I just get tired of it.

I think there are quite a few mods that try to slow down the economic growth in the endgame (such as Stainless Steel, apperently), so that full stack battles become less common (because you don't have the money). I've heard that Broken Crescent has an enormously hard economy as well. These are all medeival 2 mods though.

The only thing I can then say is that you absolutely should not touch Roma Surrectum. It is made for those full stack battles (0 turn recruitment, for example).

Doesn'tmeananything
14-01-2012, 06:07 PM
While we're on the topic of Total War mods not exclusively for Rome, are there any available for Medieval II which expand on the original setting? Total conversions are absolutely fine, but if I'm going to play for the first time, is there something essential I need to install?

I say that because it seems to be the case with aforementioned Rome mods, which make the game much deeper and just more enjoyable overall.

The said Stainless Steel and Broken Crescent sound good, I wonder if there's anything else out there?

vinraith
14-01-2012, 06:16 PM
The gold standard for Medieval 2 mods that expand on the original setting would be Stainless Steel.

Doesn'tmeananything
14-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Cheers! Exactly what I was looking for.

Heliocentric
14-01-2012, 06:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL6UCb3a3DM
The sound is terrible, just mute it.

Grizzly
14-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Cheers! Exactly what I was looking for.

If you fidn Stainless Steel to be daunting, there's also "Lands to Conquer Gold", which is basically the Vanilla game + Kingdoms enhancements. Not as big as Stainless Steel, but better then Vanilla.

amusingthebrood
19-01-2012, 01:34 PM
I'm planning on starting R:TW tomorrow. It will be my first ever Total War game, so do people recommend playing it as is (I have the gold edition with Barbarian Invasion) or would adding a particular mod be better?

R-F
19-01-2012, 01:39 PM
THIS is the mod to end all mods. (http://www.europabarbarorum.com/)

It's fucking amazing. If it takes like half an hour to start up the first time, yeah, don't worry, that's basically it's install process, no it has not crashed.

Fiyenyaa
19-01-2012, 05:45 PM
I'm planning on starting R:TW tomorrow. It will be my first ever Total War game, so do people recommend playing it as is (I have the gold edition with Barbarian Invasion) or would adding a particular mod be better?

I'd say give vanilla a go first, since most mods are basically vanilla with a twist (or vanilla with more complexity).
Also, there's every chance you'll find vanilla a little bit on the rubbish side once you've played some of the more well-made mods, so you should get the enjoyment you can out of it whilst you still can.

Grizzly
19-01-2012, 05:49 PM
I'd say give vanilla a go first, since most mods are basically vanilla with a twist (or vanilla with more complexity).
Also, there's every chance you'll find vanilla a little bit on the rubbish side once you've played some of the more well-made mods, so you should get the enjoyment you can out of it whilst you still can.

Or find Vanilla to be quite reasonably good, as I had with M2: TW.
But now I can't get back into rome because I can only play as the romans at start :(.

R-F
19-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Or find Vanilla to be quite reasonably good, as I had with M2: TW.
But now I can't get back into rome because I can only play as the romans at start :(.

It's a two minute hack to play as every race (including the ones you're not meant to play as).

Silgidorn
27-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Hey guys, I couldn't create a new thread so i rused an old one which is relatively linked on the subject.

So there was this modding summit at the creative assembly and mitch (from the great war mod) did post a text about it on twcenter, here it is:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=564412

Also it seems that the rock, paper, shotgun guy doesn't like pineapple on pizza... Anyway since one of you was there, I guess there is a article on the subject about to be made, so I won't write them down, but they seem terrific!