PDA

View Full Version : The exact moment you became a PC gamer

db1331
13-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Who remembers the exact moment they fell in love with PC gaming? This was my moment:

I walked in the room and saw my older sister playing Quest for Glory (VGA remake) on the family computer. She was on that screen. At the time, I think Monkey Island was the best looking game I had ever played. I couldn't believe what I saw. For me, the game was like looking at Crysis for the first time. That one glimpse at the screen raised so many questions. What game is this? Who is the guy in the cape? Why does that girl have the ass of a horse?

I had to wait about an hour before my big sis finally got off the computer. She was a spiteful bitch at the time and wouldn't tell me how to launch the game. After around 10 minutes of my 1337 haxor skills, I figured out how to get it running. I think QFG was my first introduction to RPGs, even though its RPG elements were extremely light. I had never played a character with stats before. It was my first introduction to such staples as agility and constitution. I loved going out and throwing daggers at goblins to increase my throwing skill, or climbing up and down a tree to become better at climbing. It's probably the reason I love RPGs so much today.

So what did it for you?

Quasar
13-01-2012, 03:52 PM
I remember my dad used to play The Settlers all the time - back on the Amiga. I don't remember exactly how it happened, but I went from being vaguely annoyed that he wasn't playing with me to being utterly enthralled by what was going on on the screen. Eventually, he taught me to play. I remember the day he brought home our first proper PC, a big ol' beige box with Windows 95, along with a copy of The Lion King for me to play. Good times.

Most of the games I remember from my childhood were his, actually. I'd get home from school and play Monkey Island, Command and Conquer, Dungeon Keeper, Baldur's Gate... Ah, they really don't make memories like that anymore. These days, he's a Sith Sorcerer, and I'm planning on joining him once my copy of TOR arrives.

squirrel
13-01-2012, 03:58 PM
As a Chinese generation "After 1980s", my first game played on PC is The Legend of Sword and Fairy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Sword_and_Fairy).

I played the MS-DOS version, which is stored in about 15 floppies. Contrary to most western RPGs, the protagonist of this game is not about to save the entire universe. He merely tried to trace the romance accidentally reaching him. The first girl he met happened to be daughter of a human king of a tribe in Southern China, and a goddess. It's a very touching love story. It's such a classics that I believe it's extremely difficult to look for a Chinese gamer not knowing this game.

I hate to admit this but PC gamers tend to be more serious about the games they play, than console gamers. This game is very famous for its insanely messy mazes. If this game was ported to any game console, I am so sure that most kids would simply give up after 1-2 hours getting lost in those mazes. Conquering those mazes is a very satisfactory experience.

amusingthebrood
13-01-2012, 04:00 PM
My moment was when I was about 13. I had a Sega Mega Drive and a Master System before that for many years and was largely unaware of any gaming scene outside of the Sega vs Nintendo rivalry.

My Mother finally gave in to my badgering and bought a PC (a Pentium 75, those were the days). As I started to poke through the massive bundle of cheap and nasty software I found a full copy of Descent and a cut down version of Virtual Pool. And thus did I become a PC gamer. Many hours were sunk into Descent in particular. My first purchase was Warcraft 2 and my collection started to grow with the advice and encouragment of PC Gamer.

And I regret very little of it.

Drake Sigar
13-01-2012, 04:02 PM
I was 4 or 5 years old, watching my father alternate between two games. One was full of fighting chess pieces, the other space tigers.

SPACE TIGERS!

Jams O'Donnell
13-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Always have been. I was raised with computers in the house, though I didn't get a PC til I was in my early teens. Before that it was ZX-81, Electron, BBC, Amiga, etc. The first console I ever had was a DS, which I picked up in 2008.

Flint
13-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Probably King's Quest 7. Before then I had been playing games for a few years already thanks to both MegaDrive and my dad's 286 PC, so I wasn't a complete newbie to gaming. My dad bought a new PC around 1994 and got KQ7 as a part of the package. I fell in love it with it, and more accurately, I fell in love with the genre. It was my first click n point adventure and for some reason the genre clicked perfectly with me. I developed a small obsession for them and because they were more or less PC-exclusive, I started favouring PC as a gaming platform. Things grew from there.

Smashbox
13-01-2012, 04:18 PM
When my dad bought me this ... for the Mac. (directed by M. Night Shyamalan)

alms
13-01-2012, 04:32 PM
I walked in the room and saw my older sister playing Quest for Glory (VGA remake) on the family computer.

I have fond memories of that game! But I can't quite single out a moment when I fell in love with PC gaming - although VGA/MCGA graphics were certainly a turning point for the platform, the Sound Blaster was another one. I switched to the PC not because of games but because the platform was more open than the others and had lots of applications.

That meant I had to play Defender of the Crown in 4 colors CGA and speaker, but it didn't bother me one bit at the time.

Actually, from time to time I listen to the MI1 OST resynthesized to sound like it was played on a speaker :)

guntotingbastard
13-01-2012, 04:33 PM
When I was about 13 and played Halo on the xbox after having played Counter-Strike on the PC for a year.

icupnimpn2
13-01-2012, 04:45 PM
I was already gaming on Colecovision and Nintendo, playing educational games on the Apple II at school, and playing games in the arcades. Also had an Apple IIgs that my grandfather won as a door prize at a bank. That was a beautiful machine with excellent sound and 256 color graphics out of the box, but had a limited library.

In 1990 my dad moved our family from Chicago to Florida and the first PC we owned was a Compaq laptop he was using for work. It had a 286 processor. The screen was this odd, long, rectangular shape, with maybe a third of the number of vertical pixels as horizontal. The screen did CGA in shades of blue and amberish. Very odd display.

Basically gaming on it sucked, but it did expand the available library of games. I bought a Mega Man pc translation on floppy and I think that was the first one I owned.

Roufuss
13-01-2012, 04:47 PM
When I was a kid, and the first computer my family ever got for common use (an IBM Aptiva... ick) came with free copies of Mechwarrior 2 and Hyperblade.

Mechwarrior 2 was unlike anything on the consoles at that point and I loved it -- it had a lot going on and was pretty complex (compared to your average console game) but once you got the hang of it, it was so rewarding.

My family got me Doom 2 shortly after, and that sealed the deal for me.

Other notable moments include playing Interstate 76 for the first time and the amazing PC Gamer demo discs, where some of those demos were extremely full featured and offered tons of playtime.

Thinking about it, even before that my Mom worked from home for a time on an old DOS computer, and I remember for some reason we had Police Quest and I played the hell out of it. The monitor only offered three or four colors but that game was still amazing.

khaz
13-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Jedi Knight cemented it for me I think. I had always dabbled in PC gaming before but JK was the "it" moment. The sheer size of the levels and the fact that I could DEFLECT BLASTER FIRE blew me away. And then there was the first time I went online in a saber + force powers only match.....yeah, hooked for life.

mickygor
13-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Christmas day, 1998. Two nice big boxes containing Dungeon Keeper and The Deeper Dungeons. Still play them both to this day, regularly.

Ian
13-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Championship Manager would be one of them. I'd only really played action or sport or platform games on my Megadrive, then we got our first PC and I got Championship Manager and I think that put me on the road to expanding my gaming experience. If I hadn't played that I've no idea if I'd have gone on to try (and enjoy) various other simulators or strategy whatever other genres appeal less to a small boy who was first hooked into gaming by Super Mario Land and Sonic the Hedgehog.

Dunno if there was one game/exact moment that then turned me from being a predominantly console gamer into more of a PC gamer as I am now... I suspect it happened over time. There we probably a few games that teamed up to sow the seeds. Jedi Knight, Nox, Age of Empires 2...

magnolia_fan
13-01-2012, 05:16 PM
I used to play battle chess a lot, and also this old game called Lemmings (or something like that). Then people would gift me a bunch of shareware games including Quake, Heretic and Descent :D

Then I got to play Diablo and also some adventure games including Zork Nemesis, which I could never finish...

Nalano
13-01-2012, 05:17 PM
I remember playing Sopwith when I was four. I don't think there was a point after that in which there wasn't a computer in my room for entertainment purposes.

thegooseking
13-01-2012, 05:33 PM
On PC, I think playing Vette! certainly established in me a long-term relationship with "open-world" games. When I realised I could ignore the race and just freely explore this cubist EGA representation of San Francisco (even if it meant losing), something changed.

Even though it was on PC, that was what got me onto open-world games, not PC, though. PC came a bit later. I had played PC games before, including Doom and Quake, and found them somewhat diverting, but it was when I played X-Wing that I decided PC gaming was for me. Somehow it made me appreciate the keyboard as a controller (even though, looking back, it was a pig of a game to play without a joystick). It didn't inspire in me a lifelong love of flight sims or air/space combat games (I don't hate the genre; I'm just not a huge fan), but it did make me a PC fan.

PeteC
13-01-2012, 05:41 PM
I'd had a Speccy and Amiga as a kid but had fallen out of gaming for a few years until I moved in with a mate in 1998. He was a bit of a whizz with computers and he put together a 486 for me with a copy of Doom. Can't remember its specs as I knew nothing about computers back then.

I'd never seen an FPS before let alone played one and it blew my mind (even moreso when he installed a copy of Quake). Been solely a PC gamer ever since.

TheRed
13-01-2012, 05:48 PM
When it dawned on me that everyone else had a SNES or megadrive, and that we didn't. But it was OK, because we had a 386 before anyone else by years. Plus I'd been brought up that far on the BBC micro B system, and from there we had early PCs ever more. I remember getting 8MB of RAM and that being utterly ridiculous at the time.

BobsLawnService
13-01-2012, 05:51 PM
I don't remember *the* moment but I do remember one school holiday when I used to go to my dad's work because we had nobody else to look after us.) He would plonk me in front of his work computer while he worked in the lab (A chemical lab no less.) and he'd load up CGA Golf complete with dinosaurs which ate your balls. This was the late 80's.

Then him and my brother went out one day to return home with an XT computer complete with a green monochrome screen and Herculese graphics adapter. I remember learning that you could run .bat, .exe and .com files. I remember cutting my PC gaming teeth on the aforementioned Golf game a pseudo 3d shooter game called Mach 3 (or was it 5) and the first test drive. I'd been playing ZX Spectrum games before that though.

SMiD
13-01-2012, 05:55 PM
I remember playing BattleChess and X-Wing at a friend's house for a short period, but it was Red Alert that really got me into PC gaming. Multiplayer matches with my friend Andrew were a weekly event. Ah, such joys.

Smashbox
13-01-2012, 05:56 PM
complete with dinosaurs which ate your balls.

And in the game?

Wizardry
13-01-2012, 06:05 PM
How does one define a personal computer?

archonsod
13-01-2012, 07:35 PM
When I was four I got a Commodore +4 for Christmas complete with about twenty games. Been gaming on PC's ever since. Never owned a console, never particularly wanted to.

Tei
13-01-2012, 07:54 PM
I am a commodore64 dude too. But my first PC game was Sim City, so that.

Pseudo310
13-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Doom was probably when I fell in love, though before that I'd played a ton of King's Quest.

And my very first game was Lemonade on Commodore64.

Berzee
13-01-2012, 08:41 PM
And my very first game was Lemonade on Commodore64.

LEMONADE! That game, hoo boy. Cutthroat capitalism right there, man. :D

Strange_guy
13-01-2012, 08:45 PM
While I played games on the PC for a while before, mostly RTS with Age of Empires II Gold Edition probably being my first, I think when I really became a PC gamer to the point of forsaking consoles (other than portable ones) would have to be the 'Half Life 2006 Holiday Collection', which had Half Life Source, 2 and Episode 1. First I played Half Life Source, then got into a load of source mods, which was probably my first time I played online. I still haven't actually gotten very far into HL2...

spacein_vader
13-01-2012, 08:57 PM
2 moments sucked me into PC (as in IBM compatible,) gaming for good. The first was the Doom shareware disk, nothing on my megadrive could even get close to that at the time.

The 2nd was installing Command & Conquer from MS-DOS. The voiceover, spinning graphics, schematics etc just immersed me from that point on. Bear in mind at this point most installers (especially DOS) were white text on black background with a black & white progress bar.

FuriKuri!
13-01-2012, 09:07 PM
How does one define a personal computer?

I guess with most people on here the answer is going to be "a general purpose computer running a Microsoft developed operating system".

In that vein;

I only ever really had a PC until the late '90s when I started picking up old consoles that nobody wanted any more. To be honest I resented only having access to PC for a long time because I coveted the illustrious Amiga which was, frankly, a much better gaming platform. Which isn't to say I didn't have fond memories of PC gaming at that time - but a lot of the games I really wanted to play weren't available or had (shock horror) inferior ports from their Amiga versions. It didn't help that the machines I had were basically old computers from my dad's work that they wanted rid of so they were always somewhat slow and lacking in features that didn't carry weight in an office environment (ie soundcards).

The Amiga on the other hand I merely caught jealous glimpses of; enthralling games with vibrant colours and rich soundscapes that I only experienced going round the houses of my more fortunate friends. It was only at the release of Doom that the PC really did something amazing which made me appreciate the old biege box a lot more. As amazing as the singleplayer of Doom was - even playing it on a shitty 386 with the graphics detail set to low and the viewable area shrunk down to half the size - that first time playing it over the old IPX/SPX with my brother was an unforgettable experience.

creative42
13-01-2012, 09:09 PM
I started gaming in '86 with an Atari 8-Bit, then went to Atari ST in '89, Amiga in '90, PlayStation in '97, Dreamcast in 2000. I bought a PC in 2000 to replace my Amiga which I had still been using for serious stuff. Started reading PC mags which at the time had reviews of "Return to Castle Wolfenstein"...needless to say I went out and bought the game (and a graphics card so I could play it). Dreamcast got packed away and have been a PC gamer ever since.

Similar
13-01-2012, 09:11 PM
If PC means not-console I've always been a PC gamer, I guess. My only experiences with consoles are a few minutes with the original Pong around 1976 and some Atari thing for an evening in the late seventies. Never occured to me to get a console, somehow.
I'd played Space Invaders, Pacman and such on a friend's ZX81, but I think my 'I have got to get one of those' moment was when I tried Elite on another friend's BBC. I didn't get a BBC (I think my friend's must have been about the only one in the country), but you could get Elite for the C64, so I saved up for one.

ETA: But if we're talking PC as in IBM-compatible and Windows, then it wasn't until my Amiga started to die around 1998 that I got one; a friend from Usenet sent me a 486 with 28mb. RAM and Linux. I played ADOM, Doom and Quake and such on that and I liked Linux, but then I tried Mechwarrior 3 on some family's computer and got very caught up in the open-ish world and the deserted cities, so I had to be able to play such things too and that lead to getting Windows and upgrading my PC.

DigitalSignalX
13-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Sometime in the early 90's when I would telnet to ICS servers to play chess and finally got my first graphical interface. Up to that point, all you could use was either a poorly designed on-screen ASCII represented board or just translate the notation of each of your moves to a real board set up beside the keyboard on my desk. But with an online interface, I could actually use a mouse to move pieces! Wow!

SirGeek
13-01-2012, 09:48 PM
I must have been about 7 or 8 at the time. I was sat around a computer screen with my dad and my brother. We were on what felt like our 7th consecutive hour of Curse of Monkey Island. My dad with control of the mouse, and me and my brother barking orders. I don't think I had that much fun on any of the consoles I had at the time. It just sort of stuck and I've spent the majority of my gaming life on a PC now.

Rauten
13-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Dreamcast got packed away

You're a monster, and I hope there's a special circle of hell reserved for you. (When reading this, keep in mind I'm a RABID DreamCast fanboy)

Wrongshui
13-01-2012, 10:14 PM
My dad received an Olivetti 386 for free from a computer course. I played games on it but I wouldn't say I became a PC gamer till I spent days unsuccessfully attempting to free up enough EMS memory through Config.sys and Autoexec.bat tweaks to play Dreamweb with sound.

I would of been eleven and I loved that game even in complete silence.

Juan Carlo
13-01-2012, 10:27 PM
I think the first PC game I ever played that I actually remember noticing and getting into was the original "Dune 2." I wasn't a convert, though, until a couple years later when I played shareware Doom. Then I sold my consoles when I was like 12 and used the money to join the Columbia House PC Gaming club (for those who don't remember, it was like the Columbia House Record club, only with games. So you got like 4 games for the price of one, then had to buy two or three over the space of the next 2 years, or something like that. It was awesome. I remember for my first order I got Doom 2, Descent, Dark Forces, and Beavis and Butthead's Virtual Stupidty. Good times).

We had a 486 DX2-66 which was like the most awesome computer at the time (before pentiums came along). My dad worked at a Radio Shack, though, so we got computer parts free.

Wulf
13-01-2012, 10:37 PM
The first time I used a computer. That was a BBC Micro a very long time ago. I've been with computers since. I'm sure that this is actually a fairly common story for most middle-aged UK citizenry.

If you're asking me the first PC game I played... mrrah. That was a long time ago, I honestly have no idea. There was a hell of a lot of overlap between the Amiga and the PC at the time, so the lines are very blurred for me. Again, I suspect that this is a very common sentiment.

Grizzly
13-01-2012, 10:45 PM
I have been PC gaming since the age of 2 or so my parents told me. I can't actually remember when I first used a computer, so I suppose it must be true.

squareking
13-01-2012, 11:20 PM
I remember playing NES in the hospital just before my sister was born in 1991; I was five. A few years later, I got a Super NES and started to really get into this whole gaming thing. Around that time I also met Mike, who would become my best friend. He didn't have any consoles but his family had a pretty kickin' computer. He introduced me to Sam & Max, Day of the Tentacle, Dark Forces, Myst, Dark Reign and a handful of other influential games. At that point, I realized the PC had the absolute best to offer -- those games were nothing like what I'd played before. I begged my family for a Windows PC and it eventually happened.

I think the first game I bought was Earthsiege.

Spacewalk
13-01-2012, 11:25 PM
I became a PC gamer on the day that I got my first PC (a Pentium 100) that was loaded with shareware gems such as Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3D, ZZT, Xargon and Epic Pinball. Suddenly the Microbee started looking like a relic then.

Drake Sigar
13-01-2012, 11:26 PM
I remember playing NES in the hospital just before my sister was born in 1991; I was five. A few years later, I got a Super NES and started to really get into this whole gaming thing. Around that time I also met Mike, who would become my best friend. He didn't have any consoles but his family had a pretty kickin' computer. He introduced me to Sam & Max, Day of the Tentacle, Dark Forces, Myst, Dark Reign and a handful of other influential games. At that point, I realized the PC had the absolute best to offer -- those games were nothing like what I'd played before. I begged my family for a Windows PC and it eventually happened.

I think the first game I bought was Earthsiege.
What happened to Mike? Are you still best friends? I have to know!

Hordriss
13-01-2012, 11:37 PM
I'd used BBC Micro computers at school (and have fond memories of playing Flowers of Crystal on Friday afternoons), as well as playing games on our Commodore 64 and the ZX Spectrum belonging to be boy next door.

The first time I encountered the world of PC gaming was in 1991-ish when my Dad returned home from work one weekend with a Toshiba T1200xe laptop. I played Microsoft Flight Simulator 4 on that tiny blue and white screen loved it. The following year, a new laptop with an attractive orange and black monochrome display came home and I was introduced to Wolf 3D and Monkey Island 2.

plivesey
13-01-2012, 11:41 PM
Christmas '97, we got our PC. And as one of my Christmas presents I got this fantastic game:

And my twin brother got this:

As you can see, my entry into PC gaming started with two giants: Westwood and Bullfrog! What a start! And that day started my love of PC gaming!

TixyLixx
13-01-2012, 11:48 PM
Half-Life.

Was the first PC Game I saw the consoles couldn't do, I switched until 2001 with GTA 3 and Metal Gear Solid 2 and then became PC only in 2003 thanx to SWG, EVE and PS.

Saying that I've played PC and console games from 1987 till 2003 to which I haven't played a console game since.

Skalpadda
13-01-2012, 11:50 PM
Probably playing Scorched Earth with friends on computers at school when we really should have been doing homework and writing essays. Before that I did all my gaming on the NES and I didn't have a PC at home until I was 14. Warcraft 2 cemented my love for PC gaming and was the first PC game I bought.

ColOfNature
13-01-2012, 11:51 PM
I kind of slid seamlessly into PC gaming from Amiga gaming. I owned an array of Amigas in my teenage years, then I graduated to the PC when I was at Uni. I still get a frisson of delight when Steam throws a wobbler and says "Guru Meditation"!

Outright Villainy
14-01-2012, 12:05 AM
I'm a latecomer, definitely. I got a laptop for college back in 2008/2009. I'd always wanted to play Half life 2, and as it was a few years old at that stage, I reckoned my laptop could handle it.

Let me tell you, the orange box is a damn persuasive argument to start PC gaming.

Wizardry
14-01-2012, 12:12 AM
As you can see, my entry into PC gaming started with two giants: Westwood and Bullfrog! What a start! And that day started my love of PC gaming!
I bet you hate EA.

plivesey
14-01-2012, 12:22 AM
I bet you hate EA.

Mmm, you know it! I used to like EA, back in the days of Road Rash 2 and such, but they've certainly gone downhill since removing Bullfrog and Westwood from us!

gwathdring
14-01-2012, 05:14 AM
My grandfather got a new computer and it came with a free copy of Civilization III. I installed it, booted up the tutorial and was hooked.

SirKicksalot
14-01-2012, 05:36 AM
When this girl loaded Wolfenstein 3D, opened a door, shot a dude in the face and then ate a delicious-looking meal. I was like 6 or whatever and that was the most incredible thing I had ever seen. We played Wolfenstein for hours that day.
And it's funny that I played every id software game and I keep playing them, but I can't bring myself to touch Wolfenstein 3D. I haven't played it since I was a kid. I can't clearly explain why, I guess I'm afraid it'll ruin my memories. That I'll be like this was it? and all the magic of Wolfenstein will vanish and my childhood will be retroactively ruined,

Voon
14-01-2012, 06:29 AM
Honestly, I don't exactly remember when. But I do remember the first time I fell in love with PC gaming. I was 4 or 5 that time, playing Dune 2000, RCT and Unreal Tournament; two of which were demos. Heh, fucking around RCT never gets old.

DeathPig
14-01-2012, 10:50 AM
When my dad bought our first family PC, the dealer had loaded Captain Claw, Road Rash, and Test Drive:Offroad 2 onto the system..I remember spending hours on those 3 games alone, especially Test Drive. And, seriously, it had a really good selection of cars for a game that old. After that, I started subscribing to periodicals, which came as magazines, and CDs packed with shareware. Got pretty hooked ever since then.

Edit : This was sometime in 1997-99

metalangel
14-01-2012, 12:50 PM
When I was presented with this. (http://www.vizzed.com/videogames/appleii/screenshot/Pinball%20Construction%20Set-3.png)

Pinball Construction Set, I'm almost positive it was my first PC game (though we had a Colecovision), and I could build my own pinball tables. That's not the PC version but all the PC shots either show a game in progress and not the awesome toolset, or are tiny.

sinister agent
14-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Meh. I'm not a "PC gamer" any more than I'm a "softback reader" or "bowl eater". I love games, and the PC is a great way to play the widest variety of games right now. I started out with a Spectrum, then an amiga (and a game boy), and eventually moved on to the PC, xbox, and DS.

Faldrath
14-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Playing the original Test Drive on my cousin's AT computer sometime in the 80s. I had an Atari 2600, Enduro was one of my favorites... but when I saw Test Drive and the view from inside the car, it blew my mind.

Then a few years later, installing Wing Commander 2 (so many disks!) and hearing actual voices for the first time in a game.

Sweedums
14-01-2012, 04:35 PM
watching my older brother and my cousin setting up 2 PC's and playing starcraft over LAN against A.I.... that did it for me. I never got good at starcraft, but dam, we were good agsinst A.I!

I think the main reason I became a PC gamer though was just because my dad always made a point of having a pretty good PC in the study... so me and my bros would always end up taking it in turns playing stuff on it until we were all able to create machines from the spare parts of my dad's old ones.

Cluso
14-01-2012, 04:37 PM
At the age of 7 when i saw the Freespace intro, we got the game bundled with our first PC, that and i got the demo for the original Kingdom under fire, played that thing for hours when i was little.

Dexter
14-01-2012, 04:55 PM
I guess I started my "career" when I got a ZX Spectrum and played games/programmed some BASIC on it and did some other general-purpose stuff, after that I dabbled with the SNES, Sega Mega and GameBoy etc. and as such still have somewhat of a love for Nintendo games, but the games that really got me to "be a PC gamer" were likely a combination of WarCraft and Simon the Sorcerer II in the mid 90s and Ultima Online and Baldur's Gate in the late 90s... too bad all companies involved kinda went to hell after that...

spcd
14-01-2012, 05:43 PM
I was 7 years old, and my dad bought a 386DX 40Mhz 8MB Ram, but it didn't have any games.

Then my uncle installed some games which changed my life forever. Doom, Commander Keen, Stunts, Pinball Dreams, Keen, prince ...

I already knew platform games. But seeing Doom for the first time... wow :D

LordHuggington
15-01-2012, 03:51 AM
First got into it on my dad's Apple IIe playing Wizardry, Loderunner, Infocom text adventures, etc. Missed out on a lot in the late 80s / early 90s though as my parents went into borderline Luddite mode, opting for a ho-hum PC with a 386 and crap visuals. Had King's quest VI, Red Baron, and that's about it. Had to get my fill at friends' places if I wanted some Ultima Underworld, Alone in the Dark, Star Control, and so forth. Finally by 98'-ish I put together my own computer, and it's been smooth sailing ever since. =D

JiminyJickers
15-01-2012, 08:32 AM
I started gaming on a Spectrum, then C64. I guess you mean IBM compatible PC, Doom was the first game I saw on a 386 or 486 and it was the most amazing thing I ever saw back then.

The graphics was so much better than anything I have seen up till then. Wasn't until many years later that we finally got a Pentuim 100 PC. Was playing on my friends 486 up until then. Good times.

Rinox
15-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Probably the original C&C.

Dougal Mcfrugal
15-01-2012, 10:44 AM
playing xcom and tie figher at a mates as a teenager

THEN

getting my first grown up PC in my early 20's, (voodoo3) and playing freespace 2

sigh

Batolemaeus
15-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Ironically enough, I started with PC games because it was far, far cheaper to get a working PC plus a few games than it was to get a console and games.

Consoles are and have always been vastly more expensive than PC. Money was always an issue in the family, so I learned to improvise and build powerful boxes from leftover parts. What I learned during that time got me my current job, too, so I guess it worked out..

What really drove the point home for me, though, was comparing Red Alert on the Playstation with Red Alert on my 80486. Not even a contest, really.

augustuskent
15-01-2012, 12:08 PM
My first game of Quake 3 arena on a demo computer at my dads shop when I was something like 6-8 years old. First experience with mods too as we played urban terror with it!

c-Row
15-01-2012, 01:06 PM
While not being a PC with a Microsoft OS, my Amiga 1200 basically kept me away from consoles and lead me to PC gaming instead once it had died on me. Both the PC and the Amiga shared the same games for some time, but games like Battle Isle 2, Ascendancy and Civ II played (or watched) at a friend's pretty much made sure that I would switch to a PC after the dead of my beloved Amiga instead of transforming into a console gamer.

So, I guess the exact moment was on Christmas (1991 I think).