PDA

View Full Version : Worst game you ever built/bought a PC for

db1331
13-01-2012, 03:02 PM
What's the worst game you ever built/bought a PC for? When I was 15, I got a job so I could save up and buy my own PC for my room. I saved up $1,000 to put a down payment on a $2,100 Gateway PC. A 500Mhz beast with 128M of RAM and a 3Dfx Voodoo graphics card. The game that made me spend that small fortune? Jurassic Park:Trespasser. I will be the first to admit that it's an awful game, but I loved it at the time, and still have fond memories of it. I even still have it sitting on my shelf. I beat it no less than 5 times, so I guess I got my money's worth.

bwion
13-01-2012, 03:15 PM
The first 3d video card I ever bought was to play Ultima IX.

Snargelfargen
13-01-2012, 03:33 PM
I guess the worst decision I made was upgrading to Sandy Bridge when it first came out, just so I could mod Oblivion to a more extreme level. The first generation of motherboards were made with faulty SATA chips (from the Intel factory, no less!), and ASUS hasn't gotten back to me on the RMA. I should really call them about that again...
Turns out the 2500k processor was great for new games though, and I still have 6 functioning SATA ports, so it's not really a big deal.

I also bought a TNT2 video card so I could play half life in glorious direct3d. That worked out pretty well though, until a lightning strike fried the computer.

SirKicksalot
13-01-2012, 05:14 PM
I upgraded my PC in late 2010 anticipating Crysis 2. Not a bad game, but... is this it?

Scumbag
13-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Last time I built a PC just to play something specific was Stalker and Crysis in 2007. Both let me down at first, but I came to appreciate Stalker.
Outright worst thing I upgraded a PC for was scrapping a Gforce 4 that was under 6 months old so I could play the brand-spanking new Deus-Ex: Invisible war due to the GF4 not having DX9 support. That was a horrible, horrible waste.

DaftPunk
13-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Last time I built a PC just to play something specific was Stalker and Crysis in 2007. Both let me down at first, but I came to appreciate Stalker.
Outright worst thing I upgraded a PC for was scrapping a Gforce 4 that was under 6 months old so I could play the brand-spanking new Deus-Ex: Invisible war due to the GF4 not having DX9 support. That was a horrible, horrible waste.

How did Crysis let you down,its sure is one of the best fps games out there :/ Also STALKER FTW! <3

Otherwise,i build computer only once,and its for Crysis/STALKER so yeah haha,quite similar to you :x

archonsod
13-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Never built or upgraded my PC for a game. OS's on the other hand, now that's another story.

Snargelfargen
13-01-2012, 06:44 PM
How did Crysis let you down,its sure is one of the best fps games out there :/ Also STALKER FTW! <3

Otherwise,i build computer only once,and its for Crysis/STALKER so yeah haha,quite similar to you :x

I don't know about Scumbag, but I found that Crysis was two different games poorly fitted together. One was a realistic military shooter, and the other was a sci-fi adventure where you drove jeeps through buildings and killed your enemies by throwing turtles at them. Unfortunately you have to lower the difficulty a LOT for the latter game to be fun, or even possible, so I spent most of the game only using stealth and treating it like a tactical shooter when it could have done so much more.

gganate
13-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Unreal Tournament 3. It wasn't a bad game, but Epic's poor demo (you had to have a gamespy account to play the game) and the game's poor UI killed the community. I'm still using that pc, though.

Kodeen
13-01-2012, 08:36 PM
My current PC was primarily built for a game called "VPN: Work". I've really seen much better.

SirGeek
13-01-2012, 08:41 PM
I upgraded to Windows 7 solely to play Shattered Horizon. I played it for 20 minutes before getting bored.

coldvvvave
13-01-2012, 08:57 PM
I once bought PS3 to play Valkyria Chronicles, admittedly the game was pretty good, still I sold PS3 after trying some other games: Killzone 2( boring CoD clone IN SPACE), Uncharted 2( boring CINEMATIC QTE adventure game), Bayonetta( boring QTE and TITS IN YO FACE game), RDR( boring cowboy sim) and some JRPG about jumping and firing guns( boring one).

Grizzly
13-01-2012, 10:22 PM
I upgraded my PC in late 2010 anticipating Crysis 2. Not a bad game, but... is this it?

IMO, Crysis 2 does actually look better then Crysis 1 (or any game, actually. Battlefield 3 is waay to much contrast and such). Except mabye for the textures (atleast Crysis 2's textures were consistent. Crysis 1 had some great ones and some quite terrible ones...)

DevinSmoth
14-01-2012, 01:07 AM
I'm always on the quest for a better PC, so it's less about upgrading for a certain game and more about 'unlocking' the ability to play even mroe games when I finally achieve the next step on the ladder. ;)

Memph
14-01-2012, 06:29 AM
Rather than replace the parts, i upgraded from a quite sickly q6600 rig with 2 dying HDs, an overheating GPU and a blown PSU, to mainly play Battlefield 3. All i've played since it's arrival are RPGs off GoG and Terraria. At least i got rid of Vista.

Juan Carlo
14-01-2012, 07:03 AM
Wow.

Jurassic Park Trespasser didn't even use a 3D card (I remember because it was like the only big 3D game at the time that didn't use 3D accelerators). So that was a waste. It ran like shit on every PC at the time, too.

Juan Carlo
14-01-2012, 07:05 AM
I remember upgrading specifically for the original Far Cry. I actually bought it all excited, realized my PC couldn't play it, then filed the game away for like a full year before I had the money to get a new PC.

That's the last game I remember specifically upgrading for, though, and I don't regret it. Far Cry was awesome.

SirKicksalot
14-01-2012, 07:14 AM
IMO, Crysis 2 does actually look better then Crysis 1 (or any game, actually. Battlefield 3 is waay to much contrast and such). Except mabye for the textures (atleast Crysis 2's textures were consistent. Crysis 1 had some great ones and some quite terrible ones...)

Yeah but it wasn't worth the upgrade. All that hardware was wasted on Crysis 2. It looked amazing and ran incredibly well, but I could run it just as well on my old rig!
Sure I enjoyed a lot of demanding games, especially after Crysis 2, and that game got a DX11 upgrade anyway. But *the* game that made me upgrade turned out to be a huge bummer.

sabrage
14-01-2012, 07:33 AM
Bayonetta (boring)
Haha what.

I've never regretted a PC upgrade, mostly because I only do when absolutely necessary (in the past 5 years: a replacement graphics card when my old one burned out, a bigger hard drive, a new case fan and more memory for Windows 7,) but I regret both buying and selling my PSP.

nayon
14-01-2012, 07:37 AM
The Witcher 2. Still haven't played past the first siege part. I have no idea how the combat system is supposed to work.

Net_Bastard
14-01-2012, 07:58 AM
I once bought PS3 to play Valkyria Chronicles, admittedly the game was pretty good, still I sold PS3 after trying some other games: Killzone 2( boring CoD clone IN SPACE), Uncharted 2( boring CINEMATIC QTE adventure game), Bayonetta( boring QTE and TITS IN YO FACE game), RDR( boring cowboy sim) and some JRPG about jumping and firing guns( boring one).

I'm pretty sure that you insulted a shitload of fans with that comment.

KauhuK
14-01-2012, 08:33 AM
I regret both buying and selling my PSP.

It seems I'm not the only one who has done this. When I bought psp it was fine for the six months of compulsory military service. After that it was left pretty much unused and I sold it a bit later. I regret selling it because some good games started coming to it after selling the damn thing.

I havent really upgraded my pc for a certain game but one has to upgrade a pc when it cannot run newer games properly.

sabrage
14-01-2012, 08:42 AM
it was left pretty much unused and I sold it a bit later. I regret selling it because some good games started coming to it after selling the damn thing.
That about sums it up. It was also a first-generation model, aka the ultimate emulation device.

soldant
14-01-2012, 08:46 AM
Wow.

Jurassic Park Trespasser didn't even use a 3D card (I remember because it was like the only big 3D game at the time that didn't use 3D accelerators). So that was a waste. It ran like shit on every PC at the time, too.
Even worse, software rendering was in many ways superior to hardware-accelerated rendering. Hardware rendering resulted in lower textures and looked worse. Still, props to the game because it did a number of cool things: immersion by letting you see your body (okay, a pair of giant tits, but whatever), physics puzzles before Half Life 2, ragdoll physics, an unintuitive shooting mechanic which accurately simulates the fear of firing a shotgun one-handed, and DINOSAURS RAWR!

On topic: Crysis. As someone else suggested, Crysis had such a great premise but at the end of the day the only real way to play it was to use the cloak and sneak around. Anything else would get you killed unless you dialed the difficulty down. At that point it just became a really pretty tactical shooter. Those first few levels were magical though, even if the 'freedom' was really just an illusion (the same as with Far Cry and the invincible black helicopter border).

Also maybe Doom 3, but that was because I had a 9800 Pro and the game still ran like a dog. Then again nothing played Doom 3 well on release thanks to all that dynamic lighting. Liked the game itself though!

Scumbag
14-01-2012, 11:48 AM

As some people had touched on; I expected, with the hype, that Crysis would be the end-all game that did EVERYTHING EVA! The original Far-Cry doing Stealth in a so-so manner, but having skill tied with it where you had to do you're utmost not to get spotted. The thermoptic camo in Crysis was a rather bland "Win-button". If you dont use said button? Then you are more then likley to get spotted. Also after the first Far-Cry I somehow expected the levels to be much larger, but thats my own silly fault for wanting the moon on a stick.
Also a let down in regards to the upgrade I did. 900 SUPER MACHINE! BFG TECH GFORCE 8800 GTX!!!
Game starts snowing
3... frames... a... week...
Sorry, I spent 900 for what again?

metalangel
14-01-2012, 11:53 AM
No worst games, but:
-bought an SVGA/VESA card for SimCity 2000
-Adlib and then Soundblaster for Wolfenstein 3D
-GeForce2 MX for Tribes 2 and Operation Flashpoint
-my current computer was specced around ensuring it could run ArmA2

thegooseking
14-01-2012, 12:12 PM
I think the only time I've upgraded for a terrible game was Invisible War, and that wasn't even anything to do with the DirectX 9 thing; it was more to do with the fact that I couldn't find CD copies of the game (although I believe such a thing existed; maybe not in this country?) so I had to buy a DVD drive. And that wasn't exactly a wasted investment, especially in 2004.

That's not including the time I added more RAM just for Second Life. That was probably a worse idea (though, again, adding RAM in itself helped a lot with other things). But the question was about upgrading for games, so Second Life doesn't count.

quietone
15-01-2012, 02:52 AM
I only bought a new computer to run the latest MS Flightsim. My current rig was bought to run FSX. Guess I lost my point of reference now :-(

I was considering buying a new computer for the upcoming MS Flight. Thanks god they already announced it will be some kind of Super Mario Bros on wings BEFORE I bought it. Would have been my worst decision, ever.

ZIGS
15-01-2012, 03:28 AM
The Witcher 2. Still haven't played past the first siege part. I have no idea how the combat system is supposed to work.

You won't figure it out by not playing it

Prodirus
15-01-2012, 09:56 AM
I remember buying an Audigy 2 for Doom 3. Then getting terrified at the game, stop playing, and only complete it 6 years later.

BillButNotBen
15-01-2012, 10:27 AM
I guess it would be doom3. Not that I'd say doom3 was terrible, but I played Farcry straight after it and it was soooo much better.Why is this editor not letting me enter line-breaks? I'm sure I upraged my 286s and 386s for a lot of games (and that was when upgrades cost a LOT), but I don't remember any huge disappointments..... it was a LONG time ago though.