PDA

View Full Version : going from HD to SSD

slick_101
13-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Hey guys Just a quick question about going from a HDD to an SSD.

the SSD I have managed to get my mits on is a 100 gig HSSD Diamond2.

Firstly, how would I go about putting my windows OS actually onto the SSD without using another computer to manual drag and drop across? Would it also mean that my SSD would become C drive? Or would it become "X drive" And I would have to manually change everything when installing? Also. should I put it directly into my case or could I just leave it quite happily in the "hot swap" part on my case?

Cheers,

Slick.

Mistabashi
13-01-2012, 09:28 PM
You can't 'drag-and-drop' an OS install, you need to use the Windows installation disk. As for the drive letter you can assign whatever letter you want to it via the device manager, although I imagine when you install Windows it'll default to C and the other drive will be re-assigned.

Lukasz
13-01-2012, 09:49 PM
put the driver in your computer normally, together with your former drive put dvd with windows in the drive. in bios make computer boot from DVD drive. follow the procedures and you will be able to format ssd and install windows there while keeping everything on your hdd safe (including your older windows install) then in bios i think you have to make ssd a first bootable drive so it won't boot from your hdd.

slick_101
13-01-2012, 09:57 PM
so by doing that would I simply have to reinstall all the drivers. but still able to run the .exe files from my old HDD?

coldvvvave
13-01-2012, 10:18 PM
There is a very big chance that your SSD won't be seen in Windows installation menu so maku sure to put an SSD driver on a flash card( seriously, it's 2012, why people even use DVD? You can install a legit Win 7 easily from a USB) and install it. You may want to update your mobo BIOS as well( if your mobo is Asus it's really easy, probably same for other brands but I don't know for sure).

so by doing that would I simply have to reinstall all the drivers. but still able to run the .exe files from my old HDD?
Depends. Some random standalone exe files - sure. If you mean some installed software and games - probably no. You can relocate your STEAM directory though( Steamapps I think), reinstall STEAM and you won't need to download those games again. Just don't forget about saves( probably somewhere in Documents\My Games).

By the way, if you get low performance, stuttering and freezes after all this - try checking an option box "Cash Flushing something something" in your computer->manage->disks->propertys something something. Or hit support forums. Worked for me( I have OCZ Revodrive X2 PCIe SSD 240 GB).

DigitalSignalX
14-01-2012, 02:23 AM
A lot of games and software will automatically re-write the necessary registry entries when their install directory is intact but run again from a "clean" OS of the exact same build type as the one for their actual install.

I was able to transfer my entire Bioware library, Adobe suite, Winamp, and Ashampoo studio to a clean copy of windows 7 when upgrading to a new HD this way without reinstalling them, and they run just peachy. Be sure to migrate save games and applicable appdata folders and such to their same respective spots on the new drive of course. However some things won't work, especially anything reliant on a windows service or their own installed service obviously.

slick_101
16-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Well. after playing around with the SSD for a few days I've given up and gone back to my trust HDD. I've done this because I had issues installing windows. Then it wouldn't install MSI network drivers... Then it wouldn't install Nvidia drivers. Thank god I didn't format my HDD.

FuriKuri!
16-01-2012, 10:24 PM
I don't think that will have anything to do with the actual hard disk. Did you download the right driver versions? What operating system are you using (like, exactly - what service pack, x86/x64)?

slick_101
16-01-2012, 10:38 PM
windows 7 ultimate 64 bit straight from windows themselves, the drivers were from MSI pulled from their website put on a memory stick and tried to be installed on that. after about 20 minutes of fiddling I managed to get it working. After working on the Nvidia drivers. Well, trying to get the drivers working; I gave up. It isn't to much dirt off my shoulder the CD key was a spare that I've had for a while and the SSD was a freebie too

FuriKuri!
17-01-2012, 10:24 AM
Win7 is pretty solid and should work ok from a fresh install, although perhaps hammer windows update and download everything it comes up with (even optional stuff which covers things like .NET which aren't really that optional at all these days). Surprised your graphics drivers are not working - did you grab the 64bit ver?

If you can't get it working you can always use both drives at the same time and keep your windows where it is on your old disk. Format the new one first so your comp doesn't boot to it. Then you can install games to it and get the speed benefit from that.