PDA

View Full Version : Things you didn't notice despite being in full view

Caleb367
14-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Or, "my dear Watson, I suck at Sherlockholming"

Me playing Dead Island. After about 30 hours of playing and merrily smashing zombie brains all around, I realize the I in the logo is a hanged man. Go me.
Me playing Skyrim for the first time. You all know one of the first quests requires picking up a dragonstone thingie from that creepy ruin on the mountain. I clean out the dungeon and come out without too much hassle... and without the stone. Because I somehow didn't notice the huge dragon altar sitting in the middle of the final room, being too busy checking for secret passages & loot.

Voon
14-01-2012, 05:13 PM
"Help! I'm lost! I don't see the exit! Where is i- oh, it was there all along? I circled around and backtracked the whole level and I've just missed the way out of here?" Every game, ever. I suck ass at navigating

This is especially true in Mirror's Edge during the first obstacle in the Ropeburn level. I've spent 30 minutes to find a way over the electric fence and I've never even bothered to jump onto the opposite buiding because I didn't think she can jump that far. /facepalm

westyfield
14-01-2012, 05:45 PM
This is especially true in Mirror's Edge during the first obstacle in the Ropeburn level. I've spent 30 minutes to find a way over the electric fence and I've never even bothered to jump onto the opposite buiding because I didn't think she can jump that far. /facepalm

Same. There were a few moments in Mirror's Edge where I spent ages trying to jump onto a balcony, before realising that there was a door right next to me that led to said balcony.

Wizardry
14-01-2012, 06:20 PM
"Help! I'm lost! I don't see the exit! Where is i- oh, it was there all along? I circled around and backtracked the whole level and I've just missed the way out of here?" Every game, ever.
Daggerfall was especially bad. "That's the exit? But it looks like a wall texture!"

Kelron
14-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Daggerfall was especially bad. "That's the exit? But it looks like a wall texture!"

I have that problem if I try to play 90s FPS games. Things can be so indistinct, and I'll spend ages wandering up and down a corridor until I notice the hatch I was supposed to climb through, with an identical texture to the surroundings.

Kaira-
14-01-2012, 06:43 PM
I have that problem if I try to play 90s FPS games. Things can be so indistinct, and I'll spend ages wandering up and down a corridor until I notice the hatch I was supposed to climb through, with an identical texture to the surroundings.

I tend to have that problem in pretty much every game, though sometimes I just overthink problems. Like in Mafia(?), there was one part where you are leaving the train depot, so I searched for something to open the big doors. What I had to was just kneel down and crawl under the door.

Heliocentric
14-01-2012, 07:23 PM

Hidden doors cause your brain to do strange things too.... Like using every section of wall... For hours.

fiddlesticks
14-01-2012, 07:29 PM
When I played Doom for the first time, some of the later levels took me nearly half an hour to complete. Not because they were all that challenging, I simply couldn't figure out where the exit was. Especially when the map involved teleporters.

I can't really think of a newer game where I've had this happen, though. Especially since most of them include a map or a giant arrow pointing into the right direction, so even if you are lost, you can easily figure out where you are supposed to go.

Kaira-
14-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Hidden doors cause your brain to do strange things too.... Like using every section of wall... For hours.
You just had to go and remind me of that? I mean, I've probably spent tens of hours in ADoM just kicking walls to find secret entrances. Sometimes even dying in the process because accidentally kicking the wrong way and spraining my ankle a few too many times.

Scumbag
14-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Cant name one game persay, but replaying a few things where I remember going through a door or gate etc... and then spending ages trying to open said door or gate using it / hitting it / shooting it / trying to glitch over it or whatnot, yet the passage will not open for me.
Then I notice the NPC / switch nearby and talk to them / use it. They way opens up.
Either that or I do what the NPC says despite it not always being the solution. "GET OUT OF HERE STALKER!"

westyfield
14-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Either that or I do what the NPC says despite it not always being the solution. "GET OUT OF HERE STALKER!"

Speaking of which, that bit in Call of Pripyat had me stuck for ages. I just completely failed to notice the glow, and when I did I didn't realise its significance.

Net_Bastard
15-01-2012, 12:41 AM
I played Amnesia and I couldn't find something on the wall that was in plain sight.

Oh, and also, Mirror's Edge. A ton of puzzles in Mirror's Edge, in fact.

Username
15-01-2012, 01:20 AM
In the second(?) level of Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, I spent a good hour or more wandering through the level trying to figure out how to progress past a certain point. Turns out I missed one of those Imperial button consoles to unlock a door. Such infuriating level design, and yet such a glorious game.

Sweedums
15-01-2012, 01:30 AM
i never finished Quake 2 in coop because there was one level we just couldnt figure out a way to get through, i think i ended up using no-clip to go outside the level and find the passage, but i still couldnt. The level was a freakin labyrinth...

Snargelfargen
15-01-2012, 01:55 AM
In the second(?) level of Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, I spent a good hour or more wandering through the level trying to figure out how to progress past a certain point. Turns out I missed one of those Imperial button consoles to unlock a door. Such infuriating level design, and yet such a glorious game.

Oh god yes. I had the same problems in the first Jedi Knight as well. Maybe it was because I was new to 3d gaming at the time, or maybe they just made levels in the 90's really complicated, but I would get lost or be unable to find an exit or door over and over again.
Thief Gold was pretty bad for this too, especially the levels that weren't shaped like a traditional building. I remember a level where I had to rob a tomb which turned into a subterranean vertical maze ending in a bunch of giant interlinking towers. I must have spent days wandering around. Days. The zombies certainly didn't help either.

DigitalSignalX
15-01-2012, 06:49 PM
For about 6 months, I had no idea the first Stalker game didn't end at the wish granter / monolith, and there was like an hour extra of fighting your way to the roof of the NPP and the secret lab.

edit: First post with pic was deleted? ... I thought it was risque' (still safe for work) but on-topic.

Harrumph! I say.

gwathdring
16-01-2012, 07:19 AM
"Help! I'm lost! I don't see the exit! Where is i- oh, it was there all along? I circled around and backtracked the whole level and I've just missed the way out of here?" Every game, ever. I suck ass at navigating

Ha! I remember the spot you're talking about ... I got stuck there on the first run-through as well.

gwathdring
16-01-2012, 07:24 AM
When I played Doom for the first time, some of the later levels took me nearly half an hour to complete. Not because they were all that challenging,I simply couldn't figure out where the exit was. Especially when the map involved teleporters.

I can't really think of a newer game where I've had this happen, though. Especially since most of them include a map or a giant arrow pointing into the right direction, so even if you are lost, you can easily figure out where you are supposed to go.
I'm absent-minded enough to get lost in the simple layouts of most modern games but pretty good at virtual navigation when I'm forced to pay attention to get anywhere. As such, I find I get more lost in games with a substantial in-game guidance system. Because I rely on the big flashing arrows to the point that my subconscious processes never bother to remember any landmarks.

Harlander
16-01-2012, 11:08 AM
You just had to go and remind me of that? I mean, I've probably spent tens of hours in ADoM just kicking walls to find secret entrances. Sometimes even dying in the process because accidentally kicking the wrong way and spraining my ankle a few too many times.

The worst thing about this? Just using the search command will eventually find secret doors for you without needing to shatter your toes on the wall.

Lukasz
16-01-2012, 11:17 AM
In mirror's edge i think i spent 20 minutes before realizing that you have to jump at a helicopter and catch its landing rail.
for my defense it was such an anti-common sense thing to do my brain just didn't click properly.

Kaira-
16-01-2012, 11:35 AM
The worst thing about this? Just using the search command will eventually find secret doors for you without needing to shatter your toes on the wall.

I've used it, but usually it seems that kicking is more efficient IF the wall is straight ahead of me. Unless your search skill (or was it perception? Can't remember right now) is high enough.

Anyway, since someone mentioned Mirror's Edge, I have to chime in on that. There's this one part in something that looks like a shopping mall and a few guards with guns. I easily dispatch both of them, but I died around 30 times trying to find where to go, and all I actually had to do was just shimmy along the wall a bit and then climb ladders up. That game usually had a good way of guiding the player forwards, but when it slipped... dear god did I become lost.

Labbes
16-01-2012, 12:07 PM
In mirror's edge i think i spent 20 minutes before realizing that you have to jump at a helicopter and catch its landing rail.
for my defense it was such an anti-common sense thing to do my brain just didn't click properly.

I had huge problems knowing what to do in Mirror's Edge as well, but I thought that one was obvious. Just like at the end of Portal 2, I thought "You want me to do that?! Hell yes!"

coldvvvave
16-01-2012, 12:48 PM
First time playing Half-Life, Blast Pit, the bit when you have to fry that giant tentacle monster. To launch test fire you have to push some buttons and do some things in a couple of places but there is one thing my common sense just prevented me from doing. After launching that huge-ass fan I assumed that it does the trick and went to do the other part instead of jumping over the fan to fly into the ceiling. I had to run around rendomly for a couple of hours after I realized that there was no Oxygen/Fuel and that fan was a last place I went to because I thought that there was nothing left to do there.

Later that day I failed to understand that shooting signs on a railroad durning that segment when you are riding around on the mini-traincar switches the direction of tracks. I think I abandoned the cart and just went on foot.

Actually, it's a nice touch that in some VALVE games vehichles segments are, well, not entirely optional, but beatable( I think) on foot. I remember losing a buggy in HL2 and still being able to finish that segment( although that place in the beginning wwhen you have to jump... probably impossible on foot).

Ruralgeek
16-01-2012, 04:18 PM
A Skyrim 'turn tower' dungeon puzzle. I tried every combination, only to find out after I lucked my way out, that the code was written directly above the turnable stones.

I guit.

lasikbear
16-01-2012, 05:36 PM

I had a friend who had the same problem in the Punisher game (yes I know its terrible). He was stuck in a part with only maybe 4 rooms total for long enough for the rest of us to leave, make lunch, eat it and come back.