PDA

View Full Version : More Matrix games should be made

SirKicksalot
15-01-2012, 04:26 AM
I rewatched the trilogy recently and now I think I'll reinstall Path of Neo. Yeah it had some weird 4th wall breaking scenes, the Escher level and that fucking ending. But it was the first game that got the formula right. You punched dudes real good, you had plenty of guns and bullet time, even the environments were destructable (kind of a big deal back then).

It saddens me that no more Matrix games were made. Imagine what a modern Matrix title would look and play like. I'm looking at stuff like Arkham City, Prototype, even Vanquish - how fucking awesome would a Matrix game be in the hands of a competent developer? That franchise has all the ingredients required for a kickass game, orgasm-cake aside, and yet Path of Neo is the only decent attempt.

What is the reason? Is it too hard to get it right, Arkham-style? Cyberpunk not cool anymore? Or maybe it's because nobody cares about the franchise anymore? The sequels (mostly Revolutions) were a letdown, but the action was undeniably fantastic and... I don't know, I never thought they RUINED IT ALL etc. I don't see why gamers wouldn't jump on a good Matrix game.

FuriKuri!
15-01-2012, 10:36 AM
I've never known a film series to age as bad as the Matrix. The utterly lackluster sequels certainly played a factor in that, but mortly I think it was the endless parodies/spoofs - it went from sub-zero coolness to an embarrasment in only a few years. I don't think the first film is a 'bad' film but its not really something I'd think of watching any more. I know it almost line by line and the sad thing is that's come about from the spoofs.

As such I'd have to say the IP as a whole is kinda toxic, especially for videogames - the barrage of utter crap there didn't help either. Honestly if the choice was two games identical in play and overall theme but one was official 'The Matrix' I'd go for the other one...

BillButNotBen
15-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Aren't they making 2 3d matrix sequels right now?

If so, i suspect you'll get your wish. You may regret what you wished for though ;-)

Spacewalk
15-01-2012, 11:54 AM
If it controlled exactly like Oni, had a modding api accessible from the main menu so you could break the game by scripting lots of overpowered guns and juicing up your character with god powers without having to exit the game first and gave you the option of of playing as an operator so you could have access to some sort of team management or tactical dealie represented by a text mode I would be so up for another Matrix game.

LGM
15-01-2012, 02:38 PM
I've never known a film series to age as bad as the Matrix. The utterly lackluster sequels certainly played a factor in that, but mortly I think it was the endless parodies/spoofs - it went from sub-zero coolness to an embarrasment in only a few years. I don't think the first film is a 'bad' film but its not really something I'd think of watching any more. I know it almost line by line and the sad thing is that's come about from the spoofs.

As such I'd have to say the IP as a whole is kinda toxic, especially for videogames - the barrage of utter crap there didn't help either. Honestly if the choice was two games identical in play and overall theme but one was official 'The Matrix' I'd go for the other one...

I agree 100%. I used to love the first Matrix film and was somewhat fond of the sequels, but after years of MATRIXMATRIXMATRIXMATRIXMATRIX I don't ever want anything to do with the franchise again.

sabrage
15-01-2012, 03:17 PM
It's not really The Matrix's fault that it aged so badly. The film sparked a veritable zeitgeist. You can't fault Half-Life 2 for the fact that half of every game on the market tries to ape it in some way.

The JG Man
15-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Although I haven't played any Matrix games, I have played F.E.A.R. Putting aside the plot and focusing solely on the combat, I felt like it nailed the feeling of being in a Matrix-esque fire-fight. The slow-mo obviously helped, but it felt so satisfying taking on a huge number of enemies and seeing at the end, when everything has returned to real time, the wreckage left on pillars and walls as they're riddles with bullet holes and have had their top layers shot off. It's part of what helped me through F.E.A.R. actually, just imagining that I was a character in The Matrix.

Bobtree
15-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Oh. I thought this thread was looking for these: http://www.matrixgames.com/

sabrage
15-01-2012, 05:28 PM
I'd say Max Payne had the first decent bullet time, but it didn't have any form of brawling :(
Au contraire!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utIcETsCIXI

SirKicksalot
15-01-2012, 06:07 PM
It's part of what helped me through F.E.A.R. actually, just imagining that I was a character in The Matrix.

You know that shitty Jet Li movie called The One (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntc0YyQWdBU)? There's a F.E.A.R. mod that makes you move at the same speed while the world is in slow-mo. Better than the default IMO.
I always thought Monolith came up with the concept of F.E.A.R. while working on The Matrix Online.

Colonel J
15-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Oh. I thought this thread was looking for these: http://www.matrixgames.com/

When I saw the thread title, this was my first thought too. More though? I am already frightened by the number of games in their catalogue that I might want.

FuriKuri!
15-01-2012, 08:35 PM
It's not really The Matrix's fault that it aged so badly. The film sparked a veritable zeitgeist. You can't fault Half-Life 2 for the fact that half of every game on the market tries to ape it in some way.

No it's definately not and I didn't want to cheapen the impact of what the Matrix did either - it's certainly a very important film in cinematographic history and its achievements were many. But it was very much a film that, like I said, aged badly. Moreover once the trilogy was done, I was done. I don't feel the urge to explore that universe any further. The games released at the time were certainly crappy but at least expanded on films which were on the cinema and filled in a few blanks here and there. Is there any more that really needs to be said for it? Not for me.

Don't agree with your comparison either, as much as I may have thought HL2 was overrated it's patently obvious that the games industry isn't aping that style of FPS at all! Blasted COD!

Juan Carlo
16-01-2012, 03:23 AM
The only Matrix game I ever played was "Enter the Matrix," which is noteworthy because it's still one of the worst games I've ever played. It was astoundingly bad, like "they didn't even bother finishing whole sections of the game" bad (I remember that the driving section had no hit detection so you could just drive right through enemy vehicles).

Juan Carlo
16-01-2012, 03:33 AM
The utterly lackluster sequels certainly played a factor in that, but mortly I think it was the endless parodies/spoofs

This is a good point. When the first film was released, bullet time was the coolest thing ever. But then it was not only ripped off in every action film to come out after it, but it was spoofed so much that it kind of became a groan inducing cliche.

I do still think the original Matrix is an awesome film, though. If it hasn't aged well it's only because it was so hugely influential that it was everywhere for a while so people kind of burned out on it. I don't think that's the film's fault, though.

somini
16-01-2012, 04:42 AM
Funny enough, I'm planning to rewatch the series soon, and had just played Max Payne 1 and 2, so I played all the mods I could get:
The lobby-Spybreak! scene is already kinda recreated (http://www.moddb.com/mods/true-matrix-total-conversion). Clearly an abandoned MOD, but there is some promise with The Real World (http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-real-world). It's still in beta and it simply has the dojo, but it's excelent, I played this for days. Captures perfectly the Matrix ambience. If you have Max Payne give it a try, you won't regret.

DigitalSignalX
16-01-2012, 04:55 AM

Agree - I think they're very watchable, partially for the nostalgia of it (Carrie Moss.. sigh). Keanu is so utterly wooden it's just funny, but the effects made up for it. Never played any of the games except about two hours of the matrix online which was almost entirely in the character creator.

DigitalSignalX
16-01-2012, 05:12 AM
erf.// x2 post error