PDA

View Full Version : Games Where You Play As Swordmages?

R-F
15-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Does anyone know of any games where you play as a swordmage? Preferably one where you can play one without sacrificing any of your abilities particularly. Fast movement, big swords and magical spells are what do it, really. It doesn't really count if you can't blur it all together, either.

Serenegoose
15-01-2012, 05:46 PM
The Witcher. Fairly limited spell roster and it's more utility than destruction, but still. It is a bit underdone in general.

DigitalSignalX
15-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Risen. It's tricky though, as you can only be trained in higher sword skills past a certain point by the non-mage faction, so you have to game the system some with foreknowledge that access will be limited after you pick magic faction. Conserve skillpoints and money for just leveling it, and it's entirely possible once you plan ahead.

The Tupper
15-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Forgive the obvious (I may indeed be misunderstanding the question), but my Skyrim guy is a force to be reckoned with, aided by a substantial suite of destruction spells and the keen ebony blade of 'Tupper's Daedric Mage-Stuffer'.

Squiz
15-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Magicka. :P Well, you have a sword that you even can put weapon spells on (explosive mine-sword, hell yeah!).

Kelron
15-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Divinity 2. It's a very good game with the expansion, and overlooked by a lot of people because of the problems on release.

Ignorant Texan
15-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Fable, Jade Empire and the two KotOR games. I only played the first Fable, so I don't know about the later ones.

CMaster
15-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Fable one, a Sword user with utility spells is by far the strongest character type.

Malawi Frontier Guard
15-01-2012, 07:20 PM
If any of these suggestions are too involved for you, try looking at the cover of Crusaders of Might & Magic instead.
It features a sword and a spell.

http://i.imgur.com/bg2W9.jpg

Don't play it.

DigitalSignalX
15-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Don't play it.

Rofl.

BLOOD PUMPING ACTION!

http://www.yestergames.com/images/crusaderofm&m.jpg

Lambchops
15-01-2012, 07:41 PM
You can do this in the first Dragon Age (Arcane Warrior class) but that doesn't happen until probably more than halfway through the game (could be from anything from the 20 to 60 hour mark depending on how completionist you happen to be). So yeah, don't bother unless the game happens to interest you in the first place!

Casimir Effect
15-01-2012, 07:56 PM
You can do this in the first Dragon Age (Arcane Warrior class) but that doesn't happen until probably more than halfway through the game (could be from anything from the 20 to 60 hour mark depending on how completionist you happen to be). So yeah, don't bother unless the game happens to interest you in the first place!
Unless you've finished the game once already so all the specializations have opened up. Then you just have to get to level 7 (or whatever it was) so you can pick a special class.

On a similar vein you can make Swordmages in Neverwinter Nights 2 without much difficulty. It just involves knowing which stats to take such that you can go down the Eldritch Knight path and some of the other prestige classes. Luckily that game has a great console so if you fuck up you can just alter your character at will.

DarioSamo
15-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Do a solo run with Kensai/Mage build in Baldur's gate 2. That means no party members, just your main character. It's particularly fun and challenging for the first part of the game, but the extra xp will make you level so fast you'll pretty much be a demigod by mid-game. (Particularly Watcher's keep boosts way too much levels)

Harlander
16-01-2012, 10:06 AM
Talking of ".. of Might and Magic" titles, Dark Messiah?

Though some wags might suggest you play more a footmage than a swordmage in that game.

Corpekata
16-01-2012, 10:15 AM
One of the 3 pregenerated classes for Spellforce is a swordmage (called something like firesword). I didn't play that class yet, but a good often overlooked game, and you can create custom classes if the three pregenerated ones don't suit you.

Grizzly
16-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Baldur's Gate (and all the old Bioware games) allows you to play a fighter/mage. Rather weak at start (one can't cast spells whilst wearing armor, and multiclasses level up slower), but you get rather more powerfull later in the game. Your main weakness are that the spells that protect you don't last that long.

Neverwinter Nights (2) is based on the third edition of D&D, which allows you to be a stealthswordmagehealer in any way you'd want (although I would not recommend to multi class with 4 or 5 different classes...). If you want to pick up one of those games, I highly recommend going for Neverwinter Nights 2. Neverwinter Nights 1 has a single player campaign, but it is quite dull, as you can only control one character (Neverwinter Nights 1 is designed as a co op multiplayer game, which shows in the SP). Neverwinter Nights 2 is more like those Baldur's Gate games which are, in my opinion, quite cool.

Then there's also the Witcher, which is probably ideal for what you want, as it has a really good swordmage thing (the game only has one class, and it is the witcher (swordmage), and it is quite well worked out). I highly recommend getting the Witcher as it is FUUUN (except for the first chapter, but the plot thickens deeply during the second). The witcher is all about fast movement (don't let 'em get behind you!) and casting spells and big swords. There's also a combat overhaul mod which emphasizes the fast combat thing even more.

Then there are also the Jedi Knight series, which at first is an FPS untill you get sword powers and the lightsaber. Inded, any game in which you play as a jedi, because a Jedi basically is a swordmage.

There is also Mass Effect, which has the Vanguard. Its not really a swordmage. Instead you are a shotgun mage. But close enough.

Doodier
16-01-2012, 11:24 AM
I'd say Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim for myself. You can be whatever you wanna be and it works out pretty well. Be aware - in Morrowind you can't have a spell in one hand and a sword in the other though, (not sure about Oblivion) but still you can be that guy in a robe with daedric claymore and amazing spells.

R-F
16-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Played and completed every single one of these. :(

Berzee
16-01-2012, 02:27 PM
This is a surprisingly difficult question to answer well! Especially as your "fast movement" stipulation suggests that turnbased games would not be your first choice here.

Asheron's Call, obviously -- everyone including the swordsmen needs to become a ridiculously powerful mage in order to survive -- but I get the feeling you weren't looking for 13-year-old MMOs ;)

Berzee
16-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Also, Mini Ninjas! (I only played the demo, but it was pretty good in a simple way, and the main character uses both a (ninja) sword and spells)

Caleb367
16-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Already mentioned, but the Witcher's exactly what you speak of. Also every game in the Elder Scrolls series, especially Skyrim since's not class-locked, but entirely feasible on Oblivion and Morrowind too. Well, that lets you play as a thief-illusionist-assassin-diplomat with a napalm cannon on his right hand, if you like.

Grizzly
16-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Played and completed every single one of these. :(

Have you tried Nehrim, at fate's edge? 'tis an oblivion mod. A big one.

Unaco
16-01-2012, 05:43 PM
E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy.

arathain
16-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Would someone be so kind as to reassure me that Divinity 2 has a slow start? I can see potential, but the first hour or two have been really kind of dull.

ColdSpiral
17-01-2012, 01:01 PM
The upcoming Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/Kingdoms-of-Amalur:-Reckoning/) is built around a fast-paced combo / attack-chain system which can cross disciplines, as there are no classes. You can work spells into your combos for some brutal effects. Some of the swords I've seen in screenshots are gigantic, so... pretty sure it's exactly what you want. There'll be a demo out in the next 12 hours or so.

Scumbag
17-01-2012, 01:33 PM
E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy.

You are as likely to have a gun as a sword there.

Caleb367
17-01-2012, 05:48 PM
You are as likely to have a gun as a sword there.

But what about... a gun that shoots SWORDS?

Berzee
17-01-2012, 05:50 PM
But what about... a gun that shoots SWORDS?

Or there's always Final Fantasy 8, where you can be a mage and have a sword that is a gun.

Jacques
17-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Revenant?

Anyone remember that game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d37q7kcx6dc&feature=related

vecordae
18-01-2012, 12:07 AM
Most RPGs or fantasy-style games make pretty clear delineations between "sword guy" and "magic guy", so you kind of need one with either a suitable pre-created character/character class that fits the bill or one with a robust character creation or advancement system so you can do it yourself.

Any of the games running on a derivative of the 2nd or 3rd edition ruleset for Dungeons and Dragons are suitable provided you don't mind the overhead view. The Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights series are suitable for this with the Cleric or Druid classes being fairly capable armored spellcasters. Dungeons and Dragons Online is also worth a look as it is faster-pace, free and you can easily build a sword mage type of character. Elves even get special optional perks to make spellcasting in armor more reliable. It's an MMO, but you can play most missions single-player or just pick up an ai-controlled hireling.

Diablo-esque games are also viable choices. Dungeon Siege 1 & 2, Diablo, and Torchlight are all games where you can put together a spell-slinging swordsman if you want. I've not played Fate and Diablo 2's predefined characters are balanced, but might not be what you are after.

Dragon Age: Origins, Knights of the Old Republic, The Witcher games, the Elder Scrolls games, are all viable choices as well. There are quite a few action/platformer type of games that have quick, blade-wielding spellcasters as primary characters, but most of these are console-only and are mostly produced in Japan.

Of all of those, though, I'd have to say my personal favorite in regards to ridiculous class-blending is the original Neverwinter Nights. It is the only game I have ever played where you can create a tiny, short little man who's primary method of attack is turning into a ninja grizzly bear.

Wizardry
18-01-2012, 12:35 AM
Any of the games running on a derivative of the 2nd or 3rd edition ruleset for Dungeons and Dragons are suitable provided you don't mind the overhead view.
And 1st. I believe it even lets you cast in armour with a fighter/mage multi-class.