PDA

View Full Version : Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Demo is coming out today

SandmanXC
17-01-2012, 02:04 PM
First time posting, so firstly hi everyone!

I came to understand that the Kingdoms of Amalur demo comes out today on multiple platforms, including PC. Their site seems to be down and I'm curious: Does anyone know whether or not it requires Origin (aka potential dealbreaker), and when it will actually be available?

Cheers! :)

Creeping Death
17-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Greenmangaming claims it ties to Origin :/ I hadn't thought about it before and now it's kinda killed my enthusiasm for the game

IDtenT
17-01-2012, 02:54 PM
I'll be trying it out as soon as I get a link.

Smashbox
17-01-2012, 03:00 PM
I'd love to hear what you chaps think of it when you're able to play it.

qizarate
17-01-2012, 03:17 PM
I hope that your morals are at least consistent, and that you boycott steamworks games too. I don't really understand the specific objection to Origin. Why miss out on a potentially good game because of what is basically steam, but reskinned?

Creeping Death
17-01-2012, 03:26 PM
To say Origin is Steam reskinned is an insult to all the updates Steam has received over the years. I've nothing against Origin in the drm department, but the thing uses almost twice the system resources as Steam does on my machine, which really effects performance of games that require Origin to be running in the background. Plus I don't know if it is their end or mine, but when I want to play a game I want to play it now, not in half an hour after several attempts to connect to your service :/

Who knows, maybe Origin will be sleeker than a worn down pebble on a beach in a years time and I'll get to play Origin only games then. But now this is horribly off topic. I will redeem myself by saying that according to Reckonings facebook page, the 360 demo seems to be live, so for those here that have a console you can at least give it a shot and tell us what you think.

Smashbox
17-01-2012, 03:28 PM
I can see this conversation getting really out of control, plus it's been had several times already.

Ontopic: Is Amalur a new universe or is this pre-established somehow?

Althea
17-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Ontopic: Is Amalur a new universe or is this pre-established somehow?
New.

which really effects performance of games that require Origin to be running in the background.
Uh... isn't that just Battlefield 3? I wasn't aware any game required Origin to be running, which was meant to be one of its benefits.

SandmanXC
17-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Their site http://reckoning.amalur.com seems to be up now.

qizarate
17-01-2012, 03:48 PM
Great! I'm looking forward to trying it out when i get back from uni.

Apologies for inadvertently creating yet another origin thread, i think they managed to worm themselves into my good-books when they gave me a free copy of Burnout Paradise. I'm sure the software itself has issues, but i really can't blame them for trying to come up with a competitive service. I certainly find steam/origin preferable to limited-activation or always-online style DRM. You're certainly right insofar as steam is the better service.

Back to Amalur, more than anything i'm expecting this to be solid. The videos haven't exactly been mind-blowing, but if they manage to do everything they say they're doing to a fairly good standard i will be very happy.

Lobotomist
17-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Will this demo be Origin only ?

Jeez, it will be first time that i will look for cracked version of demo :S

Maurish
17-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Will this demo be Origin only ?

Jeez, it will be first time that i will look for cracked version of demo :S
Reckoning being an EA game, I had the same question.
So FAQ tells us:

The Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning demo is available on PlayStation Network (PS3 download), PC (Origin download), XBOX Live (360 download).
and

You must create and log in to your Origin account in order to receive the Reckoning demo items, but you do not need to have the Origin client/installer. Signing in to your Origin account simply registers that youve unlocked the Reckoning demo items, then when you get your full copy of Reckoning, log in again and the items will appear in-game.
So I'm still confused... I need the client to download the demo but I don't need it to play it? I guess we'll see once the demo is up. I really hope I don't need to install Origin just for the demo.

lhzr
17-01-2012, 06:10 PM
alright, it's up on origin.

you'll need the client to download it for you, though.

Malawi Frontier Guard
17-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Since the game is rated 18+ in Germany, I was not allowed to download the demo until 11 PM despite being in Austria.
And also being an adult.

I tricked Origin by starting the download with Hotspot Shield and then reconnecting without it, in case anyone has the same problem.

Maurish
17-01-2012, 06:27 PM
About the need of Origin to download the client but not required to play the game:

This is correct, though we have another PC option coming in a bit today. So, if you want to wait a bit, there will be one other way to play the demo on PC. (We should have more details to share about this in the next hour or two.)

Tei
17-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the warning!

Downloading! :D

R-F
17-01-2012, 07:53 PM
It's also on Steam?!

SirKicksalot
17-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Demo up on Steam: steam://install/203970

I hear ATI cards have trouble with it (three months old build though).

IDtenT
17-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Pre-order up on steam. :3

Roufuss
17-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Not only does it have a pre-order on Steam, they are also giving away free TF 2 items with a pre-order which means Valve and EA worked out a deal together.

SirKicksalot
17-01-2012, 08:23 PM
It will also have Steam achievements and Cloud! Hats off to Schilling and BHG.

IDtenT
17-01-2012, 08:49 PM
It seems EA is not the publisher up on steam, but all other versions should be published by EA. This means that the origin unlocks will probably not work on the steam version.

db1331
17-01-2012, 08:51 PM
But the people on Steam won't be able to get all that fantastic DLC support that EA so desperately wants to give, what with Steam's restrictive policies dictating the manner in which developers can deliver content to their consumers!

Basically EA is ok with letting Steam sell their lesser titles, but they want to make sure they don't share any % of the sales of their blockbusters like Battlefield and Mass Effect.

Althea
17-01-2012, 08:52 PM
It will also have Steam achievements and Cloud! Hats off to Schilling and BHG.
That reinforces my belief that this has been done through the EA Partners project. Kudos to 38/BHG for wrangling that.

But the people on Steam won't be able to get all that fantastic DLC support that EA so desperately wants to give, what with Steam's restrictive policies dictating the manner in which developers can deliver content to their consumers!

Basically EA is ok with letting Steam sell their lesser titles, but they want to make sure they don't share any % of the sales of their blockbusters like Battlefield and Mass Effect.
This isn't EA's title. They're publishing/distributing it, but it isn't their game at all.

The JG Man
17-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Can we not turn this into a Steam vs. Origin thread, please?

You can download it from Origin or Steam.

You can buy it from Origin, Steam and retail. It seems like Origin will be required for the installation of a retail product, but it seems to be it.

From what I've read, it seems to be getting favourable impressions, however I've yet to touch Skyrim yet so I'll wait, not to mention the ATI issues which I'd rather not contend with.

Lobotomist
17-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Its on Steam!

Holy Cow! And i just installed that damn Origin on my PC! Damn!

Well, mega kudos to C Shilling for managing to push trough EA bull and get this into Steam :D

db1331
17-01-2012, 09:59 PM
Its on Steam!

Holy Cow! And i just installed that damn Origin on my PC! Damn!

Well, mega kudos to C Shilling for managing to push trough EA bull and get this into Steam :D

You had better change all your passwords and cancel your credit cards. EA has everything now. Even your Minesweeper high scores.

Smashbox
17-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Annnnnd, you're part of the Matrix now.

Anyone formulated any impressions yet?

Miker
17-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Just played through what I think is most of the demo. I personally thought it was rather generic, and I skipped all the cutscenes I could as it was rather heavy on exposition. I played with a 360 controller because the game struck me as a console game more than anything else, and I found that it was basically Fable, but more in-depth. It's solid, looks pretty (bar some pop-in), has plenty of numbers, and, well, yeah. After I finished the reckoning portion and I was allowed to explore the world, I just quit the demo as I didn't think I was going to find anything in the next 45 minutes that would change my mind about the game. I might pick it up one day when it drops down to bargain bin prices, but I'm in no way frothing at the mouth to buy it on launch.

Malawi Frontier Guard
17-01-2012, 10:05 PM
I've had graphical issues with my ATI card, but turning off post-processing fixed that.

It's funny to imagine how the design process for this game must have been. They must have set out to create as little work for their game designers as possible by lifting all mechanics unchanged from other games.

Art style? Fable. Sounds good.
Need to design third-person combat? Take it from Devil May Cry.
Lore? Oh, just put in audio logs from System Shock. Call it lore stones and make it give XP.
Skills? The Titan Quest version of the Diablo 2 skill tree.
Lockpicking? Yeah, just make it exactly like Skyrim (despite being a recent release, the similarity is uncanny).

I'm trying very hard to find a single original thought in this game. That doesn't necessarily mean it's bad.
It's a solid game.
All creativity builds on top of what has come before, but all inspiration is in vain if no voice from within yourself is added. There needs to be this voice, otherwise what do I get out of playing this game that I wouldn't get from playing any of the others I mentioned? All of them had their own reasons for designing the mechanics in the way they did, and thus allow you to follow their process of thought by merely playing the game attentively which is valuable all by itself.

It's a solid game, but do you need to waste your time with a game that is merely solid?

Roufuss
17-01-2012, 10:15 PM
I second the notion that it feels a lot like Fable so far. Its kind of linear like Fable, graphics are the same, combat system is very similar.

The music is decent, and I really enjoy the story so far, even if it is your typical "you have amnesia" type of fluff. There is some nice attention to detail -- if you use the fire staff, it scorches the ground.

I disagree that the game's third person combat is Devil May Cry... unless something changes in the next 45 minutes, the combat system is taken from Fable 2, and is not nearly in-depth as DMC. One button (sorry, played it on the 360) is for your primary weapon, one button is for your secondary weapon and holding the trigger and pressing a button allows you to use any of your four spells. Very, very Fable.

If you're a fan of Fable, absolutely give it a try. I'm finding it to be a lot of fun in a Darksiders kind of way, in that it takes ideas from a lot of other places but stirs them together in a way that works well.

I really enjoyed the Fable series (yes, even 3, with all of its problems) and this feels very much like an evolution on that style of gameplay. It seems to have a pretty in-depth crafting system as well, and the skill tree is interesting to see.

So yea, that's how I'd call it -- an evolution on the Fable style of gameplay, minus the whole getting married and being a doofus in town.

It also feels more like... a linear European RPG? Its really hard to judge it by the demo in terms of how it opens up.

Smashbox
17-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Interesting comments here, especially after having just listened to the developer speak on the Giant Bomb podcast about how original their game is. These things do not necessarily bode well.

Tei
17-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Ok, first impressions:

Good, good game. It has some combo based combat with multiple keys, but seems flexible enough to play whatever way you want. I have made to level ..3?.. and my character was a awesome rogue archer with a staff that shots ice spikes. Pretty great.... combat is very arcade and fun.

I like the history, a lot actually,... I want to know more about the world and the "narrative".

The graphics, and how the game play, reminds me a lot of games, Fable, God of War even Skyrim.

The menus system is horrible, think Skyrim.... perhaps even worse. I also have seen a few visual bugs, but nothing game breakings.

Zero graphics options, and the game failed to use my native monitor resolution.. but this can be demo-artifacts, I suppose the final game will let me choose resolution :D

Is everything I wanted from the game, so I am a happy camper :D

Roufuss
17-01-2012, 10:24 PM
The menus system is horrible, think Skyrim.... perhaps even worse. I also have seen a few visual bugs, but nothing game breakings.

Menu system works fine on the console with the controller, so I would wager the game is either a) best played with a controller or b) built for the consoles first in terms of what suits their needs best.

I never had a problem with the inventory and thought it was an improvement on Skyrim's menus for sure.

Interesting comments here, especially after having just listened to the developer speak on the Giant Bomb podcast about how original their game is. These things do not necessarily bode well.

The story is fairly unique so far, I think. In a nutshell, a race of immortal beings are waging war on the mortal races, and you are a guy (or girl) who has come back to life somehow but without your memory. You also have some powers to do with Fate.

The rest of the game though just seems like its refining concepts based on other games. Like I said earlier, I think it's a lot like Darksiders, in that you can easily tell what certain elements of the game were inspired by but the end result is still fun.

The crafting system is definitely from Elder Scrolls it seems -- you find reagents out in the game world and can use those to make potions and such.

Also forgot to mention the game has QTE finishing moves as well, not sure if that would put anyone off (it seems like they are just used to grant you extra experience rather than be required to kill someone), and the weapons themselves are comically large -- the daggers are absolutely huge.

Althea
17-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Well, taking aspects from successful (or not so successful in Fable 3's case) games and putting them together in a package that actually works is probably quite original in itself. Generally it ends up a bloated mess.

I'll hopefully get to the demo tomorrow. Hurrah!

Malawi Frontier Guard
17-01-2012, 10:27 PM
I disagree that the game's third person combat is Devil May Cry... unless something changes in the next 45 minutes, the combat system is taken from Fable 2, and is not nearly in-depth as DMC. One button (sorry, played it on the 360) is for your primary weapon, one button is for your secondary weapon and holding the trigger and pressing a button allows you to use any of your four spells. Very, very Fable.

Yeah, it's true that it lacks that depth from what is available in the demo, but I made the comparison based on looking at all the moves available in the tree and seeing some of the trailer at the end (also because I happened to play DMC4 today and it was fresh in my mind). It's a lot like Fable, absolutely.

Zero graphics options, and the game failed to use my native monitor resolution.. but this can be demo-artifacts, I suppose the final game will let me choose resolution :D

The graphics and resolution tabs are for some reason not immediately visible in the options screen. You need to click one of the arrows at the top to see it. It's really weird.

Smashbox
17-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Can we just talk about the subtitle for a second?

Something: Reckoning was my long-time joke subtitle I would stick on things to make them sound stupid and franchise-y. I guess I need a new one.

Something: Payback, maybe?

The JG Man
17-01-2012, 10:34 PM
I'm led to believe it was added to cause less confusion with the MMO that is being developed concurrently with has the same base name. Or at least I'm sure that's what I heard a dev say in some vid I watched.

cosmicolor
17-01-2012, 10:37 PM
The only thing about the combat that is really DMC like is that you can access new melee attacks by altering button press timings or holding buttons. For example, with that sword you get, pressing the attack button once, waiting a bit, and then pressing it will give you a launcher instead of the usual chain.

Roufuss
17-01-2012, 10:39 PM
Oh, I also forgot to mention that I know it was publicized that you get Mass Effect 3 armor when playing the demo, but so far I've also unlocked three items (I think a destiny card, chakrams and a helmet) I can use in the main game of Amalur as well.

Two of them were just for starting the demo, the third was for getting to the point where I have 45 minutes to play around.

So far, magic seems to be overpowered as well but its offset by the fact that to get the most out of magic, you have to wear the worst armor defense wise.

The game also incorporates a pretty nice stealth system as well, complete with stealth kills.

Kodeen
17-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Can we just talk about the subtitle for a second?

Something: Reckoning was my long-time joke subtitle I would stick on things to make them sound stupid and franchise-y. I guess I need a new one.

Something: Payback, maybe?

Although it is being used for another actual game, the subtitle of Revengeance, which can only sound cool if you're Japanese (it's for a Metal Gear game), is still ridiculous enough to serve your purposes. Maybe take it a step further: The Revengeancer.

And there's always the fallback of Something 2: Electric Bugaloo.

DigitalSignalX
17-01-2012, 10:48 PM
The steam demo still asks for EA account info, but you can check the X in the corner and select "opt out" if you want to ignore it and just play the demo.

edit: tried to play it, made a character, listened to some stuff in blackness with a mouse cursor.. moved around some when a GUI showed up in blackness with a mouse cursor, stumbled over a sword in blackness with a mouse cursor and was told to pick it up with "F" which now makes my character screen stay on the screen in some sort of interesting background to the blackness when I exit out of it again.

Basically unplayable on HD69 series ATI.

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/7028/reckoningdemo2012011717.th.jpg (http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/7028/reckoningdemo2012011717.jpg)

Kadayi
17-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Goddamn it. I can't buy it until December, but I guess I can play the demo. ;)

IDtenT
17-01-2012, 11:30 PM
DigitalSignalX, just switch off post processing.

pakoito
18-01-2012, 12:37 AM
I get a message that Steam hasn't got it available in any server yet.

SirKicksalot
18-01-2012, 12:49 AM
Although it is being used for another actual game, the subtitle of Revengeance, which can only sound cool if you're Japanese (it's for a Metal Gear game), is still ridiculous enough to serve your purposes. Maybe take it a step further: The Revengeancer.

And there's always the fallback of Something 2: Electric Bugaloo.

Revengeance (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Revengeance) is a real word, although obsolete.
Off-topic: as I rewatched Mission Impossible 2 I realised it's Metal Gear Solid: The Movie. It's utterly retarded yet I couldn't stop watching it.

Downloading the KoA demo now. As a Big Huge Games fanboy my expectations are gigantic...

trjp
18-01-2012, 01:02 AM
ATI Card - disable post-processing - works for me too!

As for the rest of the demo - well - it's - erm - it's...

It's colourful - almost N64 action-RPG colourful really - characters and big and brash etc.

Loads of dialog - all skippable (thankfully) - story appears to be hokum - and the rest of the game appears to be crammed to the roof with every possible RPG idea ever and I mean ALL of them - all at once!!

Works OK with Kb/Mouse but I get the feeling you'd be happier with a controller and a BIG TV and a sofa for this.

Whether I'd leap in - erm, it hits all my usual interests (action RPG with varied combat, lots of customisation, lots of stuff to unlock, lots of places to explore etc.). Not played enough of the demo (or even sure if the demo allows you) to find out how open world it is - if it were totally linear I'd definately not be interested tho.

One minor complaint - whoever they took on because "they could do a good Scottish Gnome voice" needs murdering...

IDtenT
18-01-2012, 01:17 AM
Downloading the KoA demo now. As a Big Huge Games fanboy my expectations are gigantic...
No Brian Reynolds, so my expectations aren't as high as they would have been.

Giaddon
18-01-2012, 01:23 AM
It's truly bizarre that this comes from Big Huge. I know they were burned by Rise of Legends, but they've retreated into a... coma-inducingly generic world here (the first enemy you fight is giant rats). The demo didn't reveal any of the design skill that made their strategy games so good, but then I don't know how transferable that talent is. I thought this project was a strange fit for Big Huge from the start.

DigitalSignalX
18-01-2012, 01:57 AM
DigitalSignalX, just switch off post processing.

Ahh thank you, that did the trick. I'm smelling some more RAGE "oh, test on another brand of card? us? from this.

trjp
18-01-2012, 03:22 AM
Digging further into the demo - it's certainly quite 'open world' in terms of what you do/where you go - it also appears to be a MASSIVE grindfest in terms of harvesting, talking to people, fighting, doing endless "go there and bring this back/kill these things" quests etc. etc.

I took one quest which had about 3 stages before it asked me to find something. It's marked on the map to the north, so walk north. When I'm closing on the item, the marker flips to the south - so I head south and as I approach it it flips north.

Oh do fuck off...

The combat actually feels quite nice tho - there's some skill involved for sure, but it really does not hang well on a keyboard (wasd+space to dodge, Shift to Block and the need to Hold X for a special mode/move requires some strange finger positioning!!)

The other thing is the look of the thing - it really is N64 action-RPG garish and cartoony - some of the design is nice, some is highly derivative and some is really basic and nasty. The world is also replete with invisible walls and slight inclines which are beyond you (you cannot jump either).

Hmmmm

pakoito
18-01-2012, 03:28 AM
Hit H for fun. Also, staves+manastats are mostly autowin in early levels lol Game is designed for a gamepad, that's for sure.

Juan Carlo
18-01-2012, 03:36 AM
Hopefully EA won't be distributing the DLC.

I really want this game and I want it on steam, but I don't want to pay 60 dollars for it on launch. I'd rather wait a year for it to go on sale. So hopefully between now and then the developers don't release exclusive DLC via Origin and then it ends up getting pulled or something.

SirKicksalot
18-01-2012, 03:48 AM
This game is awesome with a controller. It's a very satisfying hack'n'slash with great combat variety and flexibility. And indeed it's like every RPG ever rolled into one.
Going to preorder it on Steam.

Skalpadda
18-01-2012, 04:24 AM
Just finished my demo time and it seems alright. I doubt it's going to set the world on fire in any way, the entire premise felt fairly lightweight and derivative and there was nothing that stood out as particularly impressive, but the combat mechanics and character building seem fun.

outoffeelinsobad
18-01-2012, 05:33 AM
Feels like a budget action-RPG. Kinda sad -- I was looking forward to this one.

elfbarf
18-01-2012, 06:28 AM
Played through the demo earlier for the entire tutorial+45 minutes and enjoyed it, nothing too groundbreaking like others have said but it's pretty fun. Feels a lot like Fable/Divinity II though the combat is definitely better and seems to get more complicated later on in the game (or on Hard, obviously). One thing I was NOT a fan of is how I stole a book for a quest and was arrested after I left the building despite the fact that there wasn't anyone else in the room. My time ran out immediately after I got sent to jail, but I noticed that I had a new quest as soon as I arrived. Hopefully you're meant to get arrested during this quest (that's how it seemed to be at least) and the game doesn't actually have invisible security cameras everywhere.

The game was definitely lacking in polish, though I'm hoping this is due to the build being several months old and not because they don't feel like fixing it. I really don't understand why they would intentionally release a buggy/unfinished build for a demo, it's going to scare away a lot of potential customers.

I'm tempted to buy it though I can't see myself paying $60 for it, $40 would be more reasonable considering how this isn't a big release.

Skalpadda
18-01-2012, 07:40 AM
I tried out stealing at random and it seems like being caught or not is a binary thing and you can be detected even if no one else is around. I got sent to jail and tried to sneak out but got spotted by two guards (who took ages to kill, though I was only level two). When I came out of the prison the entire town was hostile, then my time ran out. It seems like they wanted to implement a crime/prison system similar to that in Elder Scrolls games, but it appears to be very rough and inelegant.

R-F
18-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Yeah, this is really gonna crash and burn, isn't it?

Althea
18-01-2012, 09:00 AM
It's truly bizarre that this comes from Big Huge. I know they were burned by Rise of Legends, but they've retreated into a... coma-inducingly generic world here (the first enemy you fight is giant rats). The demo didn't reveal any of the design skill that made their strategy games so good, but then I don't know how transferable that talent is. I thought this project was a strange fit for Big Huge from the start.
Well, they're only one half of the development team. The other half is 38 Studios, BHG's owner.

lhzr
18-01-2012, 10:37 AM
One thing I was NOT a fan of is how I stole a book for a quest and was arrested after I left the building despite the fact that there wasn't anyone else in the room. My time ran out immediately after I got sent to jail, but I noticed that I had a new quest as soon as I arrived. Hopefully you're meant to get arrested during this quest (that's how it seemed to be at least) and the game doesn't actually have invisible security cameras everywhere.
that's weird, i stole the book and looted everything else from that room and didn't get arrested. perhaps it depends on your stealth skill? but then i wasn't sneaking when i stole that stuff, since i was alone in the room, so i don't really get their system either.

the game's fun, like a better(combat-wise) but less polished fable. there's a lot of content available after you exit the tutorial area so make sure to play a bit more, since the starting dungeon is pretty crappy.

the maps are also structured like in fable, bigger areas linked by corridors. this bothered me in fable 1, but it's not that bad here.
all in all, i wanted more after the demo ended, which i didn't expect after watching some gameplay videos.

cosmicolor
18-01-2012, 12:47 PM
I completed the demo, quite liked it, but I didn't like how it was so long and didn't let you save. At least they were nice enough to let you skip the tutorial on further plays. Would probably buy eventually, and maybe play the MMO if it retains the combat and I don't have to sub. I liked Fable 2 a lot which probably helps.

Flint
18-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Was excited to try this out but it seems you can only use WASD for movement in the demo, which is a fairly major issue for me as I use the arrow keys. According to the interwebs they didn't have the time to put movement control setup in the demo (wtf, it's just keybindings) but it'll be in full game. Which is reassuring I suppose but means I can't play the demo. On the PC anyway - have to see if I can be bothered to download it for the PS3 just to check it out.

pakoito
18-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Everybody's napping, shhhh. Lvl 2.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595833494686808624/937BE800D88E8DC918A93B484084ECB0B25620D4/

Althea
18-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Gave the demo a whirl.

Wow, I'm pretty blown away by it. It's not perfect, and I found didn't like certain things (aiming with bows, for example, and blocking) but the rest I did like. The art style works beautifully for it, although Gnomish NPCs tend to look fairly similar if what you see in the first town is anything to go by, and I thought it was fairly smooth running.

Hopefully the finished release will be a bit more polished (I noticed a few graphics problems) and responsive, but based on that demo I've got to admit I'm very impressed.

Wizardry
18-01-2012, 03:21 PM
And indeed it's like every RPG ever rolled into one.
Sounds awesome.

Roufuss
18-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Hopefully the finished release will be a bit more polished (I noticed a few graphics problems) and responsive, but based on that demo I've got to admit I'm very impressed.

There were graphical problems on the 360 demo I played too, oddly enough. Perhaps its an engine problem?

I doubt the finished release will be any more polished than what we see here, so you should definitely factor any glitches or bugs while playing into a purchase.

To add to the rest of the thread, I also saw no way to yield to the guards after I committed a crime and refused to be arrested. The in-game help told me that you have to pretty much run out of town, turn the safety back on and just wait until the town forgot, but they never did in the 45 minutes I played.

Althea
18-01-2012, 03:32 PM
There were graphical problems on the 360 demo I played too, oddly enough. Perhaps its an engine problem?

I doubt the finished release will be any more polished than what we see here, so you should definitely factor any glitches or bugs while playing into a purchase.
*Shrugs* If I had the money, I'd pre-order it on principle alone.

lhzr
18-01-2012, 03:42 PM

here's a quote from the devs:

"Unfortunately the only way to get both the demo and the game out the door on time was to branch the demo off of the main game a few months back, then try to copy over bug fixes from the main game to it where possible, while cutting out all the bits of the game that should NOT show up in the demo in order to get the download size down to something reasonable.

As a result, a great many polish bits and bug fixes from the main game didn't make it into the demo (some particualrly noteworthy fixes relate to audio cutting out or being significantly delayed). It's frustrating for us because we want the demo to be as shiny as possible, but in the end of the day we wanted to focus the bulk of our bug fixing and polish efforts on the final game rather than the demo. Hopefully you'll thank us for that on Feb 7th."

source (http://forums.reckoning.amalur.com/showthread.php?2181-PC-controls-suck&p=41154&viewfull=1#post41154)

pakoito
18-01-2012, 03:56 PM
I hope they fix/improve Inventory shortcuts. Other than that I'm fine with the game, tho I think it is heavily pad-designed.

Labbes
18-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Playing a Rogue with Daggers and that "stun! shooting daggers!" skill was really fun. If the daggers had chains on them, it would be like God of War, only with loot and quests.
I really missed dodgy-comboy-action. Hope I have the cash when this game comes out...

PS: Apart from being a good game, releasing a demo nearly a month before release is a cool thing to do.

Stormbane
19-01-2012, 12:52 AM
It's not perfect but I guess it'll do for a while. Does anyone know the max level in the game? I assume it will be a flat 3 skill points per level progression. I can't help but plan a character build.

SirKicksalot
19-01-2012, 02:43 AM
Level cap is 40.

DigitalSignalX
19-01-2012, 03:09 AM
Playing a Rogue with Daggers and that "stun! shooting daggers!" skill was really fun. If the daggers had chains on them, it would be like God of War, only with loot and quests.
I really missed dodgy-comboy-action. Hope I have the cash when this game comes out...

PS: Apart from being a good game, releasing a demo nearly a month before release is a cool thing to do.

The daggers reminded me a bit of Rogue play in Dragon Age 2. I like though that it takes a bit of a warm up to use, and that you can chain it. The stealth bonus doesn't carry over though to multiple targets, might be a bit OP if it did.

Bow use is auto-target BS that I'd expect on a console. I really hope it gets fixed for PC, but I'm pessimistic enough to know that will never happen unless we can mod it out.

The graphic style, the ATI video quirks, clunky inventory keys.. all spell wait for several months of patches / DLC first.

Moraven
19-01-2012, 06:11 AM
here's a quote from the devs:

source (http://forums.reckoning.amalur.com/showthread.php?2181-PC-controls-suck&p=41154&viewfull=1#post41154)

This is why services like OnLive are great on trying games. I hope more go towards this instead of wasting time making a demo. I know on PS3 PSN you can basically download full games with 1 hour trials. If you like it, purchase and keep on playing. Not ideal for people with ISP monthly caps.

Moraven
19-01-2012, 06:12 AM
Any idea on if the game will be moddable? User content, UI changes?

This sounds like something I might get for console unless is more value to the PC version.

Labbes
19-01-2012, 07:44 AM
This is why services like OnLive are great on trying games. I hope more go towards this instead of wasting time making a demo. I know on PS3 PSN you can basically download full games with 1 hour trials. If you like it, purchase and keep on playing. Not ideal for people with ISP monthly caps.

I disagree. With a demo, I can check if a game runs on my system, which is hardly the case with a streaming service. If a game is bug-free OnLive (haha), it doesn't mean it's bugfree on every graphics card/CPU combination out there.

sabrage
19-01-2012, 07:56 AM
Does the game have any depth besides "go here, fight monsters, rinse+repeat?" If not, I'll probably just hold out for Darksiders 2.

R-F
19-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Yeah, this game is gonna crash and burn. Yet another RPG designed for consoles when consolefags don't buy anything but the same game over and over again.

I just don't get it. The only games that really sell on the consoles are the Elder Scrolls (even if that's pretty much minimal compared to it's sales on PC), Fable, FIFA and CoD.

EDIT: Also, for some mystical reason the data can't get here for three days from when it's in America... I think I'll be naughtying this at launch, if you get my meaning.

SirKicksalot
19-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Bow use is auto-target BS that I'd expect on a console. I really hope it gets fixed for PC, but I'm pessimistic enough to know that will never happen unless we can mod it out.

The bow is auto-targeted because you're allowed to use it as a secondary weapon and incorporate it in combos. You know, punch a dude hard enough to make him fly, put a couple of arrows in him until he lands then punch him some more. No time to aim. Or you might use the bow on other targets so the game wouldn't know when you want to snipe and when you want to chain combos.

csuzw
19-01-2012, 09:58 AM
This seems like a very unpolished Fable. Performance seems to degrade badly over the course of the demo and after a crash the 1st time I played, I managed to get to the end of playable time by avoiding going through loading screens. The menus are clearly not designed for mouse and keyboard which is annoying (but then again I can't remember the last big RPG in which m+k considerations weren't an afterthought). Went the fighter route 1st and it seemed ok. Then tried mage and it was a bit shit, you can only cast about 3 spells before running out of mana at the start (less if you actually level the spell up!) and then it's basically melee combat except not quite as fun because you have less combos. Tried using the bow but gave up almost immediately because of the horrible auto-aim which didn't seem to always lock on and manual aiming seemed nearly impossible.

lhzr
19-01-2012, 10:43 AM
consolefags
Don't do that.

I disagree. With a demo, I can check if a game runs on my system, which is hardly the case with a streaming service. If a game is bug-free OnLive (haha), it doesn't mean it's bugfree on every graphics card/CPU combination out there.
Yes, but seeing how most games work on middle-range systems just fine (i.e. my old 8800gt + dualcore setup), running the game usually isn't a problem, so Moraven is right about onLive being great for seeing if you like something without downloading a a couple of gigs.

Does the game have any depth besides "go here, fight monsters, rinse+repeat?" If not, I'll probably just hold out for Darksiders 2.
It has exploration, npcs that you can actually talk to, quests, crafting, alchemy, etc. It's not that similar to Darksiders, it's much more like Fable. It's an rpg with action elements, not an action game with rpg elements.

apricotsoup
19-01-2012, 10:48 AM
Seems alright, I got a very strong mmo feeling from it.

I had problems adjusting to the camera with how it would get left behind as the character wandered off.
Ranged auto-targetting is awful unless you want to attack crates, in which case it's great.
Stealth and backstabs seem fairly cheap and uninteresting.

My main problem was one I'm not entirely used to in that I looked across the skill trees and the overwhelming feeling was meh.
I should be looking at things and seeing at least a few that I want but I never had that feeling as opposed to say skyrim which had many things I wanted to try out.

Labbes
19-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Yes, but seeing how most games work on middle-range systems just fine (i.e. my old 8800gt + dualcore setup), running the game usually isn't a problem, so Moraven is right about onLive being great for seeing if you like something without downloading a a couple of gigs.

Sadly, lots of games do not run properly on my system (because of compatibility issues, not because my specs are outdated), so I'm thankful for every demo. I wouldn't mind demos on OnLive, it would simply be bad for me if they replaced the few demos that are out there.

R-F
19-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Don't do that.

Oh, sorry, I know it's important to be politically correct on these forums. Consoletards.

Althea
19-01-2012, 11:10 AM
The bow is auto-targeted because you're allowed to use it as a secondary weapon and incorporate it in combos. You know, punch a dude hard enough to make him fly, put a couple of arrows in him until he lands then punch him some more. No time to aim. Or you might use the bow on other targets so the game wouldn't know when you want to snipe and when you want to chain combos.
And yet Fable III managed to do it pretty much seamlessly, including an aim facility for ranged weapons.

cosmicolor
19-01-2012, 01:15 PM
So did Devil May Cry, natch, minus the manual aiming.

db1331
19-01-2012, 01:27 PM
My thoughts on the demo:

Overall I was impressed. The game was obviously designed with a gamepad in mind. I played with M+K and the controls were a bit wonky, especially in combat. The character creator was fairly robust. I had no gripes with the voice acting (although sometimes a character would be talking to me and their mouth would not move). Menus were extremely consolized. The one thing I was surprised by was the low texture resolution. I'm hoping maybe they didn't include the actual high resolution textures in the demo? I don't want to use the term "console port", but it looked like it was made for Xbox (which it was).

The one thing that stood out to me the most was the price point. This is not a $60 game. $50 at most, but more realistically, I think they should be asking $40 for it (assuming the quality of this demo is that of the final build). I don't want to compare it to Skyrim, since from a gameplay standpoint they are completely different, but the game is billing itself as an open world RPG. I just don't see how they can justify plopping their game on the shelf (be it a brick and mortar shelf or a digital one) next to Skyrim and commanding the same price for it. I'm torn because I want to support a developer who is trying something new, and has some good ideas and shows tons of promise, but again, this is not a $60 game. It reminds me a lot of Torchlight. If they had come out asking $40-$60 for that, I would have passed on it. But for $20? Absolutely I'll buy it. I'll probably just wait until Amalur drops to $40 or below and get it then.

Flint
19-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Managed to give it a try now and I'm actually very pleasantly surprised. It's nothing new to the formula, but it does what it does so well. This might seem like a really dodgy thing to a lot of you but going out in the wild to explore and quest about reminded me a lot about MMOs and more specifically my first months with WoW - not so much in terms of gameplay, but in the enchanting feeling of doing little quests here and there, slowly getting new gear and having that feeling of there being a massive world just beyond the next corner, waiting to be found. Of course, it remains to be seen just how wide and open the world really is, the forest area did feel rather bordered at times.

Of course, there's niggles. The lockpicking and dispelling minigames confuse the hell out of me, the lack of target locking is really awkward and the controls in general seem a bit off - I played this with a pad due to the lack of non-WASD options so it might just be my general wonkiness with pads talking. Seems a bit buggy here and there too, which actually rendered one quest uncompleteable for me as the special move I used to kill the target enemy decimated its corpse, leaving me nothing to loot the quest item from. Hopefully the main game will be a bit more stable.

But yeah, I'm very interested of this now.

pakoito
19-01-2012, 02:46 PM
Most of the problems found by people on this page are a demo thing. The gamedev branched into two some months ago (demo+retail) so the demo is buggy (sound, memory), untweaked (camera) and lacks features (wasd remap) compared to the final game.

Shane
19-01-2012, 02:49 PM
The quests and gameplay may have seemed good for an MMO but for a single-player game it is extremely mediocre and bland.

Spider Jerusalem
19-01-2012, 03:29 PM
single player mmos are boring.

the entire time, i was thinking: why would i ever play this instead of skyrim? let me go back to playing skyrim.

trjp
19-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Sounds awesome.

The thing is - by putting every possible thing into the game, they've created a MONSTER of a grindfest. The first 20 mins of the demo will wear-out your 'F' key just picking plants (which almost always return nothing) alone.

There really is a lot going on - and loads of quests to do and lots of chat and loads of things to find - but everything I did (in 2 separate sessions) just turned into a tiresome amount of walking/killing/walking/killing/walking/killing in the end.

At least games like Diablo don't make you do much walking, instead throwing the enemies at you endlessly. This felt more like some sort of perverse orienteering game with lots of murder included.

Bits of it are appealing - the combat, in particular, seems quite interesting - but the overall feel I get from the demo is that the game will be a long, long, long slog. Seeing previews of the size of the world and the amount of stuff in it - well, it's a bit daunting to say the least.

Unlike Skyrim, where it's a world you can live in - this is a world which is based around a collect-em-up approach and when you see the scale of it, you may just think "actually, nah....."

A release date for D3 or GW2 (both I'm thinking Q3+) would almost certainly kill my interest...

trjp
19-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Most of the problems found by people on this page are a demo thing. The gamedev branched into two some months ago (demo+retail) so the demo is buggy (sound, memory), untweaked (camera) and lacks features (wasd remap) compared to the final game.

How about the staggeringly repetitive and tiresome gameplay? :)

pakoito
19-01-2012, 03:34 PM
How about the staggeringly repetitive and tiresome gameplay? :)Dunno, but I have found that people find Skyrim's messy system more appealing where it should not.

And I find funny you find this game a collect-fest where Skyrim has the same amount of plant-gathering iron-picking bowl-stealing amount of "grind".

You, as many others, are not giving the game a fair chance IMO.

SirKicksalot
19-01-2012, 04:03 PM
How about the staggeringly repetitive and tiresome gameplay? :)

That is your problem. I had a dozen weapons with different effects, three spells and a good number of moves and combos unlocked. Combat was anything but repetitive and tiresome and the skill trees are full of delicious upgrades.
I don't see how Skyrim is "a world you can live in" and this is not.

JohnnyMaverik
19-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Eh, mixed reaction so far. Enjoyed the opening to an extent, but didn't love it, combat is good, enemies less so, story middling (way too fast moving, not a fan of the terrible fake Irish accent every female character is sporting). Got out into the open world and liked it a bit more, came to a town, got caught stealing even though nobody was in the room with me when I stole, killed a whole town, ran out of time.

It seems a bit easy so far. I was expecting the Guards to absolutely obliterate me since I was only level 2, but I took them and all the towns folk out with out breaking much of a sweat and only running through maybe five or six health potions.

Spider Jerusalem
19-01-2012, 04:27 PM
yes but in skyrim you can actually /pick/ the plants, as opposed to trying to pick them and failing miserably at picking them.

Dubbill
19-01-2012, 04:32 PM
And, just like in Skryim, if you spend points on the appropriate skill you increase the quantity harvested.

I don't see why it has to be Reckoning or Skryim. I'm done with Skyrim for now and I'm looking for something else.

Spider Jerusalem
19-01-2012, 04:34 PM
And, just like in Skryim, if you spend points on the appropriate skill you increase the quantity harvested.

I don't see why it has to be Reckoning or Skryim. I'm done with Skyrim for now and I'm looking for something else.
when you make your game be :60bux:, it's you or skyrim.

but no, it's not just like skyrim. in reckoning, you can't even pick a fucking flower without a point in harvesting. I WANT A PROPER FLOWER PICKING SIM.

Smashbox
19-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Makes sense to me. I'm betting you couldn't pick a flower either until you invested a little time and energy into learning how.

Flint
19-01-2012, 04:41 PM
http://www.gossipgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/wow-herbalism.jpg

R-F
19-01-2012, 04:56 PM
when you make your game be :60bux:, it's you or skyrim.

but no, it's not just like skyrim. in reckoning, you can't even pick a fucking flower without a point in harvesting. I WANT A PROPER FLOWER PICKING SIM.

Now you've said that, the Germans are definitely fucking making one, where it costs you 5 to get extra special marigolds to pick up nettles and 50 pounds to get a pair of actual gardening gloves or 100 to get a pair with a PICTURE OF A CAT on them.

EDIT: Shit, I just reread my post and I would definitely buy a pair of gloves with cats on. CAT MITTENS. Even better if they're live cats and they can claw my enemies.

Spider Jerusalem
19-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Makes sense to me. I'm betting you couldn't pick a flower either until you invested a little time and energy into learning how.
i'm pretty got damn sure i could go outside and snatch the head off a daisy right now.

Smashbox
19-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Good luck going outside if you haven't invested points in opening doors.

Jac
19-01-2012, 07:16 PM
WAnted to try this out as god of war style fighting + open world sounds good to me. Sadly once i've chosen my character all i get is a black screen with sound and then eventually UI over a black screen.

Glad they released a demo so i could check it runs ok on my system - shame it doesnt

lasikbear
19-01-2012, 07:36 PM
WAnted to try this out as god of war style fighting + open world sounds good to me. Sadly once i've chosen my character all i get is a black screen with sound and then eventually UI over a black screen.

Glad they released a demo so i could check it runs ok on my system - shame it doesnt

I had the same problem, sat through the cutscene at the beginning as well as the first few minutes not moving assuming I couldn't see because I was dead. If you go to the options menu you can change one of the graphics settings (wish I could remember which one) and it seemed to fix it.

R-F
19-01-2012, 07:36 PM

Turn off a certain option in the Graphics menu and it is ALL FIXED. I had to do it, too.

Labbes
19-01-2012, 07:38 PM
You need to disable Post Processing to fix the "black screen" bug.

Spider Jerusalem
19-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Good luck going outside if you haven't invested points in opening doors.
point, counterpoint.

lhzr
19-01-2012, 08:36 PM

Jac, if you have an ATI card, try disabling postprocessing.

edit: ah, slow as usual.

Berzee
19-01-2012, 08:59 PM
full games with 1 hour trials.

For some kinds of games that may be well and good -- linear action games, perhaps RTS'es and the like. Gives you enough time to play a skirmish or whatnot.

On the other hand, I wanted to try out Academagia but there is no demo; there was, however, a download service that lets you play a free 1-hour trial. I cannot imagine a worse game for playing a timed trial! Pages and pages of obscure stats, long paragraphs of flavor text, meticulous character creation...all stuff that sounds awesome to me, but if I was going to properly create a character, I wouldn't even get into the game proper!

In such a case I would much prefer they "waste time" making the demo -- I'm still holding out hope for one so I can decide if I like it. =)

Not sure which way I would like best for Amalur...I haven't tried the demo yet and aside from noticing that it was compared to Fable, I have tried to stop myself reading this thread (ever since I discovered the joy of playing free games blind, I keep attempting to do it =).

trjp
19-01-2012, 09:04 PM
I don't really want to turn this into a 'Skyrim vs this' thing but I do think there's a biggish distinction in the approaches these games are taking and there are aspects of what KOA is trying to do which feel "crammed in for the sake of it" or even "crammed in because we wanted everything!".

Skyrim is a typical Beth. RPG whereby there are many ways to proceed, loads to do and you're encouraged to explore and develop the game however you like. The combat isn't amazing - the UI isn't amazing - there are bugs etc. - but there's a tonne of depth and many ways to proceed and develop your character as you see fit. Most importantly, there's no "end" and no obvious 'list of things to do'.

KOA feels different - it has a very arcadey combat system and a very 'collectemup' action-rpg approach to it's content - and most importantly, it seems to have a definite idea of what you should be doing. That's actually fine and lovely, no complaints about that - but it then layers onto that all the complexity it can possibly manage in terms of skills and abilities to the point it feels 'overfull' and you're often confronted with the reality that the game just wants you to grind and grind and grind.

I don't want an arcadey collect-em-up which involves hours and hours of walking and exploring because that's just making the core task harder - just like I didn't want Skyrim to have a list of tasks to do.

However you approach the KOA demo, you seem to end-up grinding and grinding and grinding - and I worry that the whole game will basically revolve around that rather tiresome idea.

There are times when I felt like I was playing God of War or Devil May Cry - other times it felt like Zelda - other times it felt a BIT like a Beth-style RPG but it never felt original and never felt like anything new or interesting.

Put another way - I was bored well within the allotted demo time - that doesn't bode well, does it?

vecordae
19-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Fable's not an unfair comparison in terms of overall feel. The outside areas remind me a bit of Neverwiner Nights 2, as well, though I think that has more to do with the color palette than the world design. Overall, it feels kind of console-y, but is obviously designed to be played with the keyboard and mouse, which is nice. Combat seems fluid and fun. Camera controls can be annoying, though, with the camera control being taken away to highlight various actiony bits going on the the background.

R-F
19-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Also, this "FATE IS MASHING M1/M2" irritates me. What is up with that?

Oh, well, console gamers can't make macros. I CAN.

EDIT: Editted because was sweary. :3

unitled
19-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Wow, I feel like the only one who didn't get this. Couldn't get more than 15 minutes into the demo, thought it was awful. Just didn't like... anything. Graphics looked pretty poor, combat didn't feel right, urgh conversation wheel. Opening didn't do a single thing to inspire me... Skyrim (best comparison around at the mo) dropped me straight onto a mountain top in a dragon attack; instant intrigue. It managed to let me experience everything I needed to know about the setting in the first ten minutes; Imperials have invaded, Stormcloaks are freedom fighters, and dragons have appeared to mess everything up.

Also, I thought it was a pretty bad demo as well, considering this is what they're putting out there to persuade people to buy the game. MASSIVE long loading times for me, and an unskippable ad when you exit. Definitely NOT COOL if you have to restart the game to change your graphics settings.

Flint
19-01-2012, 09:40 PM
an unskippable ad when you exit
I really wish demos would stop doing this. Yes it's fun to see all the AWESOME you could experience in the full game but it becomes a right pain if you actually give the demo more than one go.

Jac
19-01-2012, 09:43 PM
I was blind and now i can seeeee! Cheers all - disabling post processing seems to have done the trick.

Hopefully the game is actually more fun than staring at a black screen.

cosmicolor
19-01-2012, 10:02 PM
I think releasing the demo as it is was pretty damn risky, but I have to applaud them for doing so now instead of waiting 6 months after release or whatever, even if it is an old build.

Labbes
20-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Opening didn't do a single thing to inspire me... Skyrim (best comparison around at the mo) dropped me straight onto a mountain top in a dragon attack; instant intrigue. It managed to let me experience everything I needed to know about the setting in the first ten minutes; Imperials have invaded, Stormcloaks are freedom fighters, and dragons have appeared to mess everything up.

My Skyrim dropped me into an unskippable cart ride full of boring people who were spouting exposition. Afterwards, lots of chatter with the Imperials and then, finally, a dragon.
Amalur's opening is generic, but it certainly doesn't do things more wrong than Skyrim did.

Drinking with Skeletons
20-01-2012, 07:37 PM
I keep forgetting that Big Huge Games--or whatever is left of them--are making this. I realize its too much to hope that they can bring to the ARPG what they brought to the RTS, but a man can dream, can't he?

pakoito
20-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Imperials have invaded, Stormcloaks are freedom fightersWrooooooooooooong.

Stormcloack is Dominion's puppet to destabilize the Empire. By supporting the "rebels" you're supporting the elves invasion and establishment of a new xenophobic regime. Stop being so nave that all "rebels" are the good guys.

trjp
20-01-2012, 08:12 PM
My Skyrim dropped me into an unskippable cart ride full of boring people who were spouting exposition. Afterwards, lots of chatter with the Imperials and then, finally, a dragon.
Amalur's opening is generic, but it certainly doesn't do things more wrong than Skyrim did.

I expect Beth games to throw me into a lot of exposition and chatter, I don't play them expecting an action RPG

This appears in every way to be an action-RPG but it's saddled with a massive amount of lore and chatter (admitedly skippable) about which I don't care 1 jot.

The fact they've even built a load of chatter around tedious sidequests and grinding makes me wonder if they had any plan or they just went with the "lets stick everything we can in there" approach.

I going to try the demo one more time but if I'm grinding within 20 mins again, it's getting binned.

Berzee
20-01-2012, 08:29 PM
spoilz

[moar spoilers]To be fair, they're mostly *unwitting* tools of destabilization -- you make it sound like they're rubbing their hands together and cackling evilly, "muahahaha, we will be ruled by the elves"
[/moar spoilers]

In other news, I played the demo last night. Still not...quite sure what I think about it. It was the time limit thing again...in an effort to see lots of stuff, I didn't spend enough time investigating anything. And when I made a mistake and got attacked for accidentally stealing something, I couldn't reload it so I went berserk and killed a village full of guards (surprisingly easy).

Wish I had a chance to mill about and look at things in detail, it might be easier to know what I think. I certainly had fun the whole time, though! I may revisit the demo again, and if it's not past my bedtime I might arrive at sharper conclusions.

pakoito
20-01-2012, 08:37 PM
[moar spoilers]To be fair, they're mostly *unwitting* tools of destabilization -- you make it sound like they're rubbing their hands together and cackling evilly, "muahahaha, we will be ruled by the elves"
[/moar spoilers]

Aren't most revolutionary groups like that? It is usually one of the major "powers behind the scenes" the one rubbing their hands.

unitled
20-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Wrooooooooooooong.

Stormcloack is Dominion's puppet to destabilize the Empire. By supporting the "rebels" you're supporting the elves invasion and establishment of a new xenophobic regime. Stop being so nave that all "rebels" are the good guys.

That's a plot twist, yes... But it works because you've bought into the setting after a pretty short amount of time playing.

My point is, the beginning of Skyrim managed to convey the central theme of the setting (escalating tensions between nationalistic rebels and foreign 'peacekeepers' interrupted by DRAGONS) without a load of expositional dialogue; I don't think the dialogue in Skyrim is really dumping info on you in the same way that KoA did (in fact, playing the intro through a second time once I knew more about the story revealed an awful lot I didn't spot the first time round).

I'm not saying Skyrim is a perfect game, I'm saying the demo did not grab me in the same way the first 30 minutes of the last big budget RPG to be released did.

IDtenT
20-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Untitled, you can't have your cake and eat it too. People have been complaining about TES not incorporating enough lore into the games since Oblivion. Oblivion being notoriously lore light. Doesn't help that their main lore writer left after Daggerfall. Point is that either you do the grand exposition or you don't. You can't please everyone.

[...] Beth-style RPG but it never felt original and never felt like anything new or interesting.
I'm sorry, but neither does Skyrim. Skyrim feels like Oblivion done right and Oblivion feels like a messed up Morrowind. Not to mention that Fallout is Oblivion with guns... Point is that none of the Beth games in themselves are new or interesting when you look at their previous work. They're terribly unoriginal, because they've already made that exact same game before.

Tei
20-01-2012, 10:44 PM

Thats you.

I like that exposition. The idea that the nords where noble men that would dedicate his last thinkings about the lands where are born is very interesting. Where you see exposition, I see context that make everything else after it better.

IDtenT
20-01-2012, 11:10 PM
I'm curious Tei, what's your native language? Your vocabulary seems more than fine at times, but your sentence structure at other times just don't make all that much sense - especially when I've had a few too many gins.

pakoito
20-01-2012, 11:25 PM
I'm curious Tei, what's your native language? Your vocabulary seems more than fine at times, but your sentence structure at other times just don't make all that much sense - especially when I've had a few too many gins.

Spanish IIRC.

unitled
20-01-2012, 11:29 PM
I must admit, the Elder Scrolls lore has always left me completely dry. I'm sure there's a wonderfully realised world in there, but I really have little interest in taking a fictional history lesson! Also, for the record IDentT, I'm not really a fan of FO3, think Beth missed the mark there; NV got much closer to the feel of FO1/2 for me (also, it's unitled, not untitled ;)).

I don't want to derail a thread about KoA by talking about Skyrim (Heaven knows we have enough threads about Skyrim on the interwebs already) but I thought the way they did the info dump in Skyrim was sooo much better than what KoA did. Example: The subtle reference the Imperial priest makes when she offers you the last rites, mentioning you'll be blessed 'by the eight'. Of course, as all the Nords know, there are NINE divines, the reason for their hatred of the Imperials in the first place. At this point, one of the nords steps forwards and asks to get his execution over with... perfectly frames the Imperial disregard for Nord beliefs, and the Nord contempt for Imperial bureaucracy in a couple of lines of dialogue.

Suffice to say, the demo did NOT grab me, maybe less to do with the content of the game, and more to do with a poorly optimised and even obnoxious demo. Unskippable exit cut scenes? Long load times?

Also, didn't help that pretty much the first scene made me think back to Planescape: Torment, always a tough game for another game to hold itself up against!

Labbes
20-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Thats you.

I like that exposition. The idea that the nords where noble men that would dedicate his last thinkings about the lands where are born is very interesting. Where you see exposition, I see context that make everything else after it better.

Personally, I liked the "background" that was explained in the opening quite a bit. I just thought the execution could have been better. It's more or less and unskippable cutscene that lasts 10 minutes (felt), and since FFX I have a huge aversion to that.

Edit: I also apologize for slightly derailing this thread; What I meant to say was that the openings of Skyrim as well as KoA are not without flaw, so saying "Skyrim set up everything nicely" when KoA actually does the exact same thing (Winter Court/Tuatha=Evil, Well of Souls gibberish) is quite unfair in my eyes.

Editedit:
Example: The subtle reference the Imperial priest makes when she offers you the last rites, mentioning you'll be blessed 'by the eight'. Of course, as all the Nords know, there are NINE divines, the reason for their hatred of the Imperials in the first place. At this point, one of the nords steps forwards and asks to get his execution over with... perfectly frames the Imperial disregard for Nord beliefs, and the Nord contempt for Imperial bureaucracy in a couple of lines of dialogue.

That's actually quite interesting, because that line didn't do anything for me.

unitled
21-01-2012, 12:29 AM
Personally, I liked the "background" that was explained in the opening quite a bit. I just thought the execution could have been better. It's more or less and unskippable cutscene that lasts 10 minutes (felt), and since FFX I have a huge aversion to that.

I guess that was my main complaint. I *personally* felt this was a trap Skyrim didn't fall into, but judging from some other comments, maybe that's not a universal feeling.

On the whole, I don't think I'll be picking this up unless it gets some *very* good reviews, the demo did noting to interest me even though I would consider myself to right in the target market.

As an aside, what's the deal with the EA sign in to access the game? Is that mandatory? Do I have to do it every time I load the game up? I did both times I started the demo up...

trjp
21-01-2012, 12:36 AM
I gave this another try - with the controller this time - and if anything I liked it even less.

I'd rather hoped the controller would sit well with it's action-rpg core, but the controls aren't really very logical and took me a while to fathom (although they aren't the utter mess than is the keyboard option - how many fingers did the designer HAVE!?)

I really cannot be bothered with KoA anymore tho - I'm not entirely sure why but the whole thing makes me go "meh" - it feels like a cheap copy of something, it lacks anything which makes it stand out.

The lore is boring, the world is cookie-cutter fantas, the combat isn't bad but it feels crude in the face of something like GoW, the controls almost conspire to make it worse anyway and the gameplay feels like WoW.

Glad they did a demo really - I might have bought it otherwise :)