PDA

View Full Version : How was your day without RPS?

Heliocentric
18-01-2012, 09:56 AM
I probably spend an hour a day on this site every day, let's see if I'm any more productive, maybe I'll just play more cities in motion.

Revisor
18-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Forum is working, so no RPS break for me. :)

Jams O'Donnell
18-01-2012, 10:24 AM
Indeed. It's not exactly RPS-free. I'm posting a comment on the site right now!

Megagun
18-01-2012, 10:34 AM
I'm looking forward to a day without first-post-advertising on these forums!

Text_Fish
18-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Wikipedia sort of works too. Hit the Learn More button and it takes you to a page with a search bar, then if you're quick enough you can hit the stop button before you get redirected to the blackout page.

Anybody know any other blacked out sites?

soldant
18-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Heh, I pass the time amusing myself by imagining the rage if Youtube was blacked out.

Text_Fish
18-01-2012, 11:59 AM
A day without Youtube, Twitter and Facebook would indeed be a beautiful spectacle to behold. Ah-well.

I thought reddit.com were the first to announce they'd black up but it seems to work for me. It looks a bit shit but then I never use it so I don't know if that's normal.

Kaira-
18-01-2012, 12:23 PM
I thought reddit.com were the first to announce they'd black up but it seems to work for me. It looks a bit shit but then I never use it so I don't know if that's normal.

Reddit is going down in an hour and 30something minutes. And then, for a moment, the internet will be much prettier place.

lhzr
18-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Anybody know any other blacked out sites?
there's google, sort of.. here's a screenshot from US, reddit says: http://i.imgur.com/bXtID.png

Ansob
18-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Wikipedia sort of works too. Hit the Learn More button and it takes you to a page with a search bar, then if you're quick enough you can hit the stop button before you get redirected to the blackout page.

You can also go to the mobile website, which Wikipedia actually mentions in the "why are we doing this" FAQ you get for clicking on the SOPA message.

mickygor
18-01-2012, 12:48 PM
You can also go to the mobile website, which Wikipedia actually mentions in the "why are we doing this" FAQ you get for clicking on the SOPA message.

You can also access Wikipedia by overriding styling or disabling JavaScript. They've not so much blacked out as they have blacked up.

Voon
18-01-2012, 01:11 PM
I think I've spent more time in the forums than the actual site nowadays, so nothing much. Just missing out the latest, that's all.

Dubbill
18-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Heh, I pass the time amusing myself by imagining the rage if Youtube was blacked out.
Where would all the obnoxious youtube comments go if it were blacked out? "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth" comes to mind.

You can see a list of blacked out sites here: http://sopastrike.com/

Unaco
18-01-2012, 02:00 PM
I thought reddit.com were the first to announce they'd black up

Could that place get any worse? They announced it, but none of their friends told them that it might not be cool? Are all their friends arseholes too? Are they giving some bullsh*t excuse about it being 'ironic' or something? It's just sick, man.

Kadayi
18-01-2012, 02:22 PM
You can see a list of blacked out sites here: [/FONT]http://sopastrike.com/

Neat list. Of course the fun game is pondering which ones we don't want to come back ;)

But yeah not messing with my day so much.

TailSwallower
18-01-2012, 02:27 PM
If the forums were blacked out that might have an effect on my productivity for the day, but otherwise it's not affecting me too much. Good on RPS though, I doubt any other gaming site that's been posting SOPA-related articles has the balls to do it.

Ok, I checked a few - Dtoid gets props, Kotaku US and AU, PCGamer, gamespot and Joystiq are all tools for the man, man. Can't check IGN 'cause it defaults to the German page. But hey, maybe those sites never bothered to post about SOPA in the first place... Y'know, 'cause it's not a big deal or anything.

Anyway, extra props to RPS 'cause they aren't even an American site.

DarioSamo
18-01-2012, 02:30 PM
I lolled at the Wikipedia blackout. In fact, if you never allowed it on noscript, you're probably not blacked out. Just some wikimedia crap...

westyfield
18-01-2012, 02:57 PM
IGN

Lol. IGN, part of News Corporation, which just happens to be one of SOPA/PIPA's biggest backers.

Funnily enough, they're not blacked out.

sabrage
18-01-2012, 03:18 PM
http://store.kitsch-bent.com/ is closed down too, didn't see it on that list. Pretty much just sells obscure Gameboy shit, but I actually wanted to use it today...

lasikbear
18-01-2012, 03:48 PM
I have been at work for... 18 minutes now and I hate it already.

Similar
18-01-2012, 04:02 PM
SLUniverse, the largest unofficial Second Life forum has blacked out too. I suspect most people there were already pretty aware of SOPA, but still, it might cause a few to look it up.

The Minecraft launcher shows a page saying they've shut down their sites, but since it doesn't affect MP login, I wonder how much effect it has.

Otherwise I haven't really noticed much.

DigitalSignalX
18-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Reddit is going down in an hour and 30something minutes. And then, for a moment, the internet will be much prettier place.

4chan is still present, unfortunately taking up all the slack - and then making meme's with it.

As suggested in the writeup on Slashdot (http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/01/18/0834219/ask-slashdot-what-can-you-do-about-sopa-and-pipa), most internet savvy and technically minded people are already aware and have come to their own conclusions about the censorship questions being raised by this legislation. The point of it is to raise awareness among the silent majority who wouldn't normally pay attention until Google, Mozilla, Wiki and thousands of other high-hit sites have a big black box on their pages.

Roufuss
18-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Ok, I checked a few - Dtoid gets props, Kotaku US and AU, PCGamer, gamespot and Joystiq are all tools for the man, man. Can't check IGN 'cause it defaults to the German page. But hey, maybe those sites never bothered to post about SOPA in the first place... Y'know, 'cause it's not a big deal or anything.

Kotaku would never, ever pull their site offline for anything because they are all about the money. Can't have one day of lost revenue, no sir.

Joystiq posted about how they aren't blacking out but support the sites that are. Their site is owned by AOL (who is also against SOPA) but its the same deal as Kotaku -- AOL probably won't let them drop the site for a day because they can't resist losing that sweet, sweet revenue. Joystiq has actually posted just as much, if not more, news on SOPA than even RPS so its a bit sad to see AOL holding the leash so tight.

PCGamer is the same as Joystiq -- posted something about not supporting SOPA but they aren't blacking out. Whoever owns them probably objects to the idea and won't let them do it -- again, can't lose that revenue, man!

I didn't even know Gamespot was still around, haha.

I wonder if RPS is going to cover E3 this year? Since E3 is brought to you by the ESA, who fully supports SOPA and PIPA, so that will be interesting to see. Apparently E3 is a big source of revenue for the ESA, who uses the revenue to support things like SOPA.

Pertusaria
19-01-2012, 10:27 PM
True PC Gaming had no new content yesterday, and had a little black armband-style banner, so they struck too.

BobsLawnService
20-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Life went on.