PDA

View Full Version : New Darksiders 2 footage

The JG Man
19-01-2012, 01:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2velmi1yck

Half some dudes talking about how cool Death is, half seeing how cool Death actually is.

Loving the art style and the weapon choice, from what is mentioned, seems pretty cool. Really, really looking forward to this.

Creeping Death
19-01-2012, 01:16 AM
Oh cool. Thanks for posting this. I really enjoyed Darksiders 1, even though I never actually got around to finishing it (reached the half way point when you get the mask and then lost track of what I was supposed to). Maybe one day I'll revisit it. Nice to finally see some gameplay of Darksiders 2

sabrage
19-01-2012, 01:22 AM
I honestly hate Death's character design, but everything else looks great.

Flint
19-01-2012, 01:31 AM
Level design looks gorgeous but still can't shake the feeling that this looks like a God of War -alike, instead of having those Zelda-esque vibes a lot of people said that the first one has. Mind you, I still need to actually play the first one but I've been wary of buying it for this precise reason.

Still, visual design wise this looks far more interesting.

sabrage
19-01-2012, 01:35 AM
Mind you, I still need to actually play the first one but I've been wary of buying it for this precise reason.
It's much more Zelda than it is God of War.

Flint
19-01-2012, 01:37 AM
I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and get it the next time it goes on sale, then!

sabrage
19-01-2012, 01:39 AM
My only issue with it is that there's really no challenge in it, besides the final boss. I don't remember ever being stuck on a part for more than a few minutes, and I think I played on the hardest difficulty. The puzzles, while varied, are never particularly compelling.

But compared to, say, Assassin's Creed, it was a damn breath of fresh air.

The JG Man
19-01-2012, 01:41 AM
It might look like GoW, but I simply see it as more complex Zelda combat, with the added advantage that it doesn't need to be complex for you to succeed (ie. you can learn the move-sets, but you can just as well power-up abilities to make hits harder etc.). That being said, with the loot and skill system they're adding, who knows how deep it'll go...

I'm sure I remember seeing an older Death design and I admit it looked better, but everything is so over-the-top in this universe in the end that I don't really mind what we have now as it's good. Besides, all the cool characters in the original was pretty much everyone apart from War.

I imagine they've added some level complexity to make it a bit more interesting. I thought it was pretty close to the satisfying side of things in the difficulty/achievement sliding scale.

Miker
19-01-2012, 05:51 AM
I actually disliked the combat in the first game. It was okay at first, but grew tiresome rather quickly, and it certainly wasn't improved by the tougher enemies late-game soaking up tons of damage. It also grew really repetitive towards the end, and I wasn't happy with how everything (EVERYTHING) needed to be done at least three times. I think if Vigil cut down the fat/filler, padded out the combat, and kept the solid dungeon design, Darksiders 2 could be a large improvement over the first.

Voon
19-01-2012, 06:36 AM
I actually disliked the combat in the first game. It was okay at first, but grew tiresome rather quickly, and it certainly wasn't improved by the tougher enemies late-game soaking up tons of damage. It also grew really repetitive towards the end, and I wasn't happy with how everything (EVERYTHING) needed to be done at least three times. I think if Vigil cut down the fat/filler, padded out the combat, and kept the solid dungeon design, Darksiders 2 could be a large improvement over the first. This. Wished somethimes that I could do more in the combat than just mashing 1 button + dashing away from monsters. They need to improve that too

sabrage
19-01-2012, 06:50 AM
Well, like I said. It's more Zelda than it is GoW.

Miker
19-01-2012, 07:14 PM
But I think the difference is that Zelda knows its combat isn't the focus of the game, and has much fewer enemies accordingly. Conversely, Darksiders seems to think its combat is a huge part of the game's draw, and throws wave after wave of enemies at you.

The JG Man
19-01-2012, 07:23 PM
I would say the same of Skyward Sword, considering how many enemies were in that at times.

Miker
19-01-2012, 07:34 PM
I have to admit I haven't played any Zelda besides Ocarina of Time, but I found that relatively light on combat and I assumed all other Zeldas had the same ratio of combat to other stuff.

The JG Man
19-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Perhaps, but it's still something they will have unquestionably looked at. For example, the dust arena in DS1 made sense being so combat orientated, but there were definitely other occasions where it was a bit much. At least with the combat being looked at, in regard to play-style, weapon choice etc. means it should be more interesting at the very least, even if the same amount is thrown at you.

The JG Man
07-06-2012, 01:19 PM
New E3 footage from presumably the 360. Looks pretty great. Also throws out a treat for those who like to see numbers on the screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMCL1uo0XSU&feature=plcp

byteCrunch
07-06-2012, 03:15 PM
New E3 footage from presumably the 360. Looks pretty great. Also throws out a treat for those who like to see numbers on the screen.

video.

I still love the visual style of this game, I really enjoyed the first game, despite a few little issues, hopefully they work on the M+KB controls a bit.

25 hours isn't bad at all considering the first took me about 6 hours.

This has to be the console version the screen tearing is awful.

Edit: Another note I hope the new loot system hasn't done away with getting a new item type (as in the Zelda style) which you then use for the next zone/dungeon etc.

Hirmetrium
07-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Ah, is that the crow father level? It was shown at the pre-E3 event in May, along with COH2. I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed it and it reminded me of the best bits of Darksiders 1. I also heard the delay was to add snow to the level - which paid off MASSIVELY. The level is amazing and will no doubt look awesome on PC.

Death is pretty fun to explore with, running along walls, jumping from beam to beam and climbing.

I am really looking forward to Darksiders 2, and I think it will be a tremendous hit. The game deserves to be played and I hope THQ/Vigil get the success they deserve from it.

The combat is a bit different - no blocks, just lots of dodging and slashing - combat is a lot harder as a result, but it pretty enjoyable (especially the first boss battle vs War, at the end of the level).

Feel free to ask me questions about the game - I don't know too much, but I did play the damn thing.

Heliocentric
07-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Keeps eating my posts!
Yes it's like Zelda, just started it, but Majoras Mask's so much better.

Scumbag
07-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Movement looks very Sands of time era Prince of Persia

eRa
08-06-2012, 12:22 AM
I just hope there are no funding issues until release.

A UI that takes advantage of M+KB would be nice, the interface in part one was terrible. On the plus side, the art style looks lovely as ever, 25 hours for the main story alone sounds very solid too.