PDA

View Full Version : Multi-monitors on an Nvidia card

sabrage
19-01-2012, 04:59 AM
So my ATI card has been overheating lately, and while I wait to get that fixed I borrowed a GT 220 from a friend. The card seems to be working fine, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get my old multi-monitor setup. With my ATI card, each screen was treated as its own workplace; so when I fullscreened a program on one monitor it didn't overlap onto the next. With NVidia's control panel, the only multi-monitor setup I found tries to treat both my monitors as a single display (so it stretches a fullscreen window across both monitors.) My monitors have different resolutions (1920x1080 and 1680x1050) so as a result of this behavior my larger monitor is limited to the smaller one's max resolution. I never had or anticipated this kind of problem before. Is this just a result of how old the card is? I could take some screenshots to demonstrate what I mean if my description of the problem wasn't clear enough.

I mean, I could just do without for a week or so until my replacement card comes in, but I'm kind of shocked how quickly dual monitors became an integral part of my browsing experience. How will I watch Youtube now?

soldant
19-01-2012, 09:43 AM
I have a NVIDIA card and had a GTX260 only a little while ago, and I'm not sure why you're having these issues. All I've ever done is just plug in another monitor and set it to Stretch in Windows, I've never used the NVIDIA driver control panel to play with it. My monitors are even more unevenly matched (1920x1080 vs 1280x1024!). I wouldn't think it'd have anything to do with the card.

The Tupper
19-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Apologies in advance: this will almost definitely be insultingly-simplistic advice that you'll have considered before, but have you gone into Windows display settings and unticked the 'extended desktop' box?

I'm using a Radeon these days but had a GT7950 for a few years and that was required to make my two differently-proportioned monitors behave themselves.

CMaster
19-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Last time I had an nVidia card, I found somewhere in the nVidia control panel, a tab that let you switch between clone mode, treat both monitors as one giant monitor, or classic windows "extended desktop" mode.

Kelron
19-01-2012, 11:52 AM
This is a strange one. I wanted to try out having both my screens treated as a single monitor and it required downloading 3rd party software. The default "extended desktop" setup works fine for me with 2 different resolution displays.

Try resetting/disabling anything you've done in the Nvidia control panel and using the Windows display properties instead. Worked for me in XP and 7, with various different monitors.

sabrage
19-01-2012, 12:37 PM
An option that was definitely NOT there before to "configure independently from each other (DualView)" has popped up on my control panel. I'm mystified as to how I could've missed it before unless it simply wasn't there, as I checked 4-5 times (because why the hell wouldn't it be there?!) and the only multi-monitor options I had were Clone, Horizontal Span and Vertical Span.

Also, it's annoying as fucking hell that you can't change multi-monitor configuration with a Youtube window open. Whatever, problem fixed, can't wait to get my 6850 back.

DVD773
22-01-2012, 04:30 PM
/thread (this message is not here just to meet the min chracter limit.)