PDA

View Full Version : Unstoppable Gorg - Revolutionary TD Game OUT NOW!

FM_Murqs
19-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Get ready to experience a revolution in tower defense that will send you spinning. Unstoppable Gorg challenges you to defend the solar system from fearsome aliens by sending satellites into orbit. Unlike other tower defense games, in Unstoppable Gorg you can move your towers by rotating the orbits that surround planets, moons and space stations.

Unstoppable Gorg is a lovingly crafted homage to vintage sci-fi films from the 1950s. Flying saucers, rubbery aliens, dodgy effects, it's got it all. The game's story scenes were shot on film using models, miniatures and live action actors and then edited together with genuine archive footage to create a classic sci-fi experience that is out of this world.

Game is now available for iPad in appStore and the Steam version for PC will go live in 9 hrs.

Key Features:
-Take on the Gorg in more than 40 challenging levels of revolutionary tower defense action.
-Satellites in orbit replace the towers and grid layout used in other tower defense games.
-Move your satellites around their orbits to create the best defense for each wave.
-Experience a thrilling story inspired by the classic sci-fi films of the 1950s.
-Unlock Steam achievements and earn your place on the leaderboards.
-Glorious 3D graphics and effects for added impact.

More info and gameplay footage @ http://www.unstoppablegorg.com (http://www.unstoppablegorg.com/)
Check out the making of pictures @ http://unstoppablegorg.tumblr.com (http://unstoppablegorg.tumblr.com/)

Cheers,
FM_Murqs

Gozuu
19-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Peggle meets Tower Defense?

Seems like a fun game.

FM_Murqs
19-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Peggle meets Tower Defense?

Seems like a fun game.

Well, I'm not exactly sure if there are any Peggle-like elements, but it sure is fun! ;)

-FM_Murqs

Anthile
19-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Is there going to be a demo?

FM_Murqs
19-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Is there going to be a demo?
Possibly at some point, but currently we only have it planned for XBLA.

We just got our first review from Gamers Daily News.
They rated the game 9/10.
Here's the whole review: http://www.gamersdailynews.com/article-3227-Unstoppable-Gorg-Review.html

And joinpgn.com gave us 4/5
http://joinpgn.com/pc/reviews/01192012665-unstoppable-gorg

"Great" rating from Egamer
http://egamer.co.za/2012/01/indie-review-unstoppable-gorg/

Review by TruePcGaming:
http://truepcgaming.com/2012/01/19/unstoppable-gorg-review/

FM_Murqs
19-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Here, let me post a couple of great making-of photos about how the game's villains and cut-scene environments were made.
Almost all of the content is actual hand made with miniature models!

611 612

Find more @ http://unstoppablegorg.tumblr.com

FuriKuri!
19-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Heh, those are pretty cool. I like the cheesy 50s sci-fi feel but it doesn't seem to be well reflected in the gameplay footage/shots I've seen. I mean, it still looks good but it's a shame that kitsch feel seems to be underplayed there. Still, it feels like "that time" for a new TD game so I'll check it out tonight a bit more.

P.S. Were you the guy in the silver suit? :)

FM_Murqs
19-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Heh, those are pretty cool. I like the cheesy 50s sci-fi feel but it doesn't seem to be well reflected in the gameplay footage/shots I've seen. I mean, it still looks good but it's a shame that kitsch feel seems to be underplayed there. Still, it feels like "that time" for a new TD game so I'll check it out tonight a bit more.

P.S. Were you the guy in the silver suit? :)

I see your point. We wanted to keep the kitsch mainly on the cut-scenes and the setting. Todays players want to see certain types of cool colorful graphics and effects while playing, so we took that route with the ingame graphics. We felt that way it's more approachable and also gave us more freedom animation and effects-wise.

Haha, no. The leader of the Sunbots, Radiant Beem, is actually the head of our games studio.

Tei
19-01-2012, 08:11 PM
I need to play a demo of this, because I am a fan of TD games, but the game seem based on a weird mechanic, and I don't know if that mechanic is something I am going to hate or love.

Subatomic
19-01-2012, 08:55 PM
I need to play a demo of this, because I am a fan of TD games, but the game seem based on a weird mechanic, and I don't know if that mechanic is something I am going to hate or love.

You could also take a look at the 'WTF is... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0imaOrbXu4&feature=youtu.be&a)' Totalbiscuit did of the game... looks quite interesting and a lot more active / involved than traditional Tower Defense games, might give it a try.

westyfield
19-01-2012, 09:12 PM
This looks really cool. I'm a sucker for cheesy b-movies, and I don't play a lot of tower defence so I'm not bored of the genre. Will definitely give this a look.

P.S. What happened to the Shattered Horizon dogfighter that was teased ages ago?

Danny252
19-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Ads plastered all over the front page, but no article on it by RPS since early December? That does seem rather odd - did it get blown up by aliens en route?

FuriKuri!
20-01-2012, 09:11 PM
I've played through it and had a good time, the price was about right so if you're inclined to purchase it I'd say go for it but don't expect it to last more than a day or two.

More in-depth analysis;

I really like the core spinning mechanic. It adds a lot to the genre to be able to move around your turrets, and although this gives you certain freedoms, it is constrained enough to mean the flexibility doesn't overpower you. Putting a turret on a certain ring may give you a good short-term defence but the mobility isn't always guaranteed to be useful. Sometimes this mobility is critical and you have to 'walk' your turrets around next to your enemies to stand a chance of winning. The game works off set patterns of enemies so the focus is definately on learning what is getting thrown at you, restarting and doing better. There's no rewind/checkpoints ala Defence Grid so it's all or nothing, do or die. Don't let that deter you though - missions are reasonably short so even screwing up at the end doesn't feel too frustrating when you restart.

However, it's all a tad easy and a bit unbalanced, I've completed the single player campaign on the hardest mode and got all medals without too much difficulty. I wouldn't say I'm great at this genre although I am quite experienced. A lot of the problem here stems from some towers seeming utterly redundant while others (bombs!) are totally overpowered.

On the underpowered side - I'm yet to build a shield tower since repair towers have no range limit anyway and repair fast enough to generally keep stuff on its feet without too much oversight. Rocket turrets just don't do enough dps against anything, the extra range they offer ain't worth it. Slow towers are a waste of a slot since they're somewhat hard to orientate as well as you'd like and rendered pointless since you can use slow bombs instead which affect everything anyway. Which leads us into the overpowered stuff;

Those being the aforementioned slow bombs and the nukes especially. Almost game-breakingly overpowered. Yeah they have a price premium, but spamming 4 or 5 slow bombs literally seems to stop everything completely for a few seconds. While this isn't a lot of time and can be tricky to keep on top of it's definately possible to basically halt all your enemies and build up your economy while just ignoring them. When you get access to nukes it seems you can beat any level just by building lots of generators and nuke spamming which eradicates the challenge for the last third of the game completely (with only a couple of exceptions).

There's an additional challenge mode outside of the main campaign - basically the same levels with some additional constraints on a per-level basis (e.g. can only select 2 tower types to build, can't rotate certain orbits). Compared to the campaign versions this manages to be simultaneously harder (due to the extra constraints) yet easier - you don't have to build research towers and losing turrets or the main base taking damage isn't a always a big deal (there are no medals associated with these like in the main campaign).

For the aesthetics - I picked up on it earlier in the thread but I felt the theme was severly underplayed. I loved the cutscenes and overall atmosphere but the gameplay sections could've been part of an entirely different game. It still looks good and is quite recognisable at a glance, which is definately to the game's credit. But man, it'd have been amazing if it had maintained that as a coherent style. Saucers getting led through your defences bobbing about with the strings going off the top of the screen. The planets/stations you're defending and turrets on little sticks like they were part of a model planetarium. Even the UI loses the look and feel and trends too much toward the modern. It could've been so much more.

Again though I had a lot of fun with this and it has a lot of soul, definately a good game worth checking out.

Chevy
20-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Todays players want to see certain types of cool colorful graphics and effects while playing...

I actually think many people would prefer a unique art style, rather than the generic colorful graphics seen in the preview video.

DigitalSignalX
20-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Watched TB's WTF on it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0imaOrbXu4&feature=uploademail) (you tube link) and it looks pretty swank. Love the detail in the newsprint when you show headlines; superb 4th wall there.

Lambchops
20-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Looks cool but is exactly the type of game I feel I need to play a demo of first (and for which if I like the demo even just a bit will be an instant buy).

somini
20-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Well, I was in the beta and now that the game came out I can now talk about it. It a really good game, tower defence with moving parts is quite interesting, but for me the setting and music make the game. The cutscenes are awesome, and all the game is tailored to that aesthetic. Definitively worth it!
And major kudos to Futuremark for giving the full game to everyone who was in the beta. A really nice gesture.

FM_Murqs
23-01-2012, 10:13 AM
P.S. What happened to the Shattered Horizon dogfighter that was teased ages ago?
Don't worry, we didn't can it. We're currently looking at different publishing possibilities etc.

Kaira-
23-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Apparently the game is now out also on GamersGate, DRM-free. Nice!

FM_Murqs
23-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Those being the aforementioned slow bombs and the nukes especially. Almost game-breakingly overpowered. Yeah they have a price premium, but spamming 4 or 5 slow bombs literally seems to stop everything completely for a few seconds. While this isn't a lot of time and can be tricky to keep on top of it's definately possible to basically halt all your enemies and build up your economy while just ignoring them. When you get access to nukes it seems you can beat any level just by building lots of generators and nuke spamming which eradicates the challenge for the last third of the game completely (with only a couple of exceptions).

Your observation is spot-on and the ability to spam bombs is the result of a nasty and apparent bug which we couldn't get fixed before launch. Bomb spamming is definitely not the way these levels were designed to be played and as they should have a cool-down. But don't worry, we'll working on an update as we speak. You should try those later levels without bombs BTW. They're still doable and much more fun. ;)

Thanks for writing your review, we very much appreciate it!

Winehouse
23-01-2012, 11:12 AM
I haven't tried this game yet, Seems to be an interesting game.

westyfield
23-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Don't worry, we didn't can it. We're currently looking at different publishing possibilities etc.

Huzzah! Thank you for responding, I was worried it had been abandoned. :)

sabrage
23-01-2012, 01:10 PM
I actually think many people would prefer a unique art style, rather than the generic colorful graphics seen in the preview video.
I prefer it when game design decisions aren't clearly based off "market research." If you're passionate about what you do and what you make, it'll shine through.

c-Row
23-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Watched the "WTF is...?" on my iPad and thought, "that game would probably play great on this". Checked the app store, and voilą! Bought it and love it so far. :) Other than the aesthetics, I really like the movable turret mechanism and the changing routes of the attackers.

FM_Murqs
25-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Watched the "WTF is...?" on my iPad and thought, "that game would probably play great on this". Checked the app store, and voilą! Bought it and love it so far. :) Other than the aesthetics, I really like the movable turret mechanism and the changing routes of the attackers.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the game! It's interesting to see now how the game divide's players' (and critics) opinions so strongly. Some people really like the more involved, RTS-like gameplay and the challenge the game provides, while others, well, not so much, ha! If you really like it and feel like helping a small developer out, feel free to rate it in the appStore and metacritic. ;)

Many thanks!

FM_Murqs
15-02-2012, 10:02 AM
Hey all,
I'm happy to announce that we just put out a demo of the game, if you have been unsure whether it could be your type of a game.
Please grab yours here:
PC: http://www.unstoppablegorg.com/get/pcdemo
MAC: http://www.unstoppablegorg.com/get/macdemo

Jams O'Donnell
15-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Excellent, a demo is just what I wanted!

mickygor
15-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Hehe, revolution, for some reason that's really tickled me.

TailSwallower
17-02-2012, 06:39 PM
I gave the demo a shot, and I must say I didn't really think much of the game.

- The first one or two kitschy sci-fi cutscenes were entertaining but after that I found myself skipping them. They take too long and the kitschy thing gets old really fast (also, I couldn't decide if the way Gorg danced around was deliberate or not, but it was really annoying and I would skip every cutscene in the game for fear that there might be a repeat performance). A shame, because they must have cost a lot of money to produce.

- The "revolutionary" aspect just ends up being annoying because you'll often find yourself grabbing the wrong orbit - annoying in the early levels, and I can imagine it being completely detrimental in the later stages.

And apart from those two aspects that I suppose the devs were hoping would set it apart from all the other TD games on the market, it's a perfectly mundane TD game. Ran well on my netbook though, which I guess counts for something.