PDA

View Full Version : Their Name is MUD

R-F
19-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Anyone on RPS a great fan of MUDs and MUSHes?

I generally tend to enjoy them, but the usual over-charging on the good quality ones (Iron Realms, I'm looking at you) and the quality of the others greatly puts me off. There's just nothing in the multiplayer world that can capture having the game rewrote around your actions as a MUD/MUSH players.

So, anyone playing any MUDs or MUSHes at the minute, or got any that they've been watching for awhile?

Pertusaria
19-01-2012, 10:21 PM
I love Discworld MUD, but it sounds like you might be looking for something where your own actions (or inactions) matter a lot, such as Achaea. In Discworld you have to be pretty darn high level, and probably have cared enough to get involved in the politics of a guild that has player-leaders, to get that feeling. If you decide to try it, Thief and Assassin have this sort of politicking to a greater extent than other guilds, although it also exists in Wizards. Assassins have to go player-killer to progress in the guild, so not an ideal first character unless that's your cup of tea.

I never stuck with Achaea - too involved and time-intensive for me - but I've known people who liked it.

Both of these are free. :-)

Harlander
20-01-2012, 10:08 PM
I've been bumming around on Cybersphere (http://cs.netsville.com/) a lot over the past whiles. It's set in a dystopian cyberpunk city with cybernetic augmentations, cyberspace hacking, and all that grimy shiny stuff. Very atmospheric, and some of the most impressive coded systems I've seen (the combat system is amazing) but it suffers from a small playerbase and a lack of stuff to do beyond screwing over, murderising etc. other people.

I used to futz around with things like Accursed Lands and Dartmud and suchlike as well.

I also had a very good time on Discworld MUD in the past.

DevinSmoth
21-01-2012, 03:28 AM
I'm a huge fan of MUDs, to be honest. I've played pretty much every major current MUD I think... unless I've missed some somewhere. Out of those, I've definitely enjoyed some more than others. I still have a huge love of the genre though, and I find it sad that it's definitely disappearing slowly. Another twenty years and MUDs won't be a part of the picture anymore, and it's definitely sad. They're so much more dynamic than MMOs... and while I got hardcore into Guild Wars for a while, I prefer MUDs over MMOs in general.

Some of my favorites:

New Worlds: Ateraan (Roleplay Intensive that saw way WAY too many of my hours)
Lusternia (IRE MUD that I enjoyed the most)
Abandoned Realms (I started here... and played for a long time...)

I also think that Aardwolf MUD has a huge potential to be enjoyable. I enjoy IRE games, and I found recently that the beta for Midkemia Online is a pretty simple entry into the IRE games with a very interesting quest system. Discworld is an interesting game, without a doubt, as was the WoT MUD that was around for a long time. I've also played the Two Towers,Shadows of Isildur, and MUME, which were fantastic bits of work set in Middle Earth.

Don't think I've played Cybersphere though, I tend to prefer the fantasy settings. Currently, I'm between MUDs because I decided that I didn't want to play another IRE game and stopped playing Midkemia Online recently. Debating on going back to Aardwolf, honestly... I like that system a lot, even if I get a bit overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff to do there.

So yes... to be precise, I love MUDs. ;)

R-F
21-01-2012, 11:01 AM
I enjoy IRE games, and I found recently that the beta for Midkemia Online is a pretty simple entry into the IRE games with a very interesting quest system. Discworld is an interesting game, without a doubt, as was the WoT MUD that was around for a long time. I've also played the Two Towers,Shadows of Isildur, and MUME, which were fantastic bits of work set in Middle Earth.

Don't think I've played Cybersphere though, I tend to prefer the fantasy settings. Currently, I'm between MUDs because I decided that I didn't want to play another IRE game and stopped playing Midkemia Online recently. Debating on going back to Aardwolf, honestly... I like that system a lot, even if I get a bit overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff to do there.

So yes... to be precise, I love MUDs. ;)

The issue with Midkemia is that the community is relatively terrible. It's like the worst parts of the nepotism of Lusternia and the dickishness of Achaea combined into one. I played from about day one, so it might not be true anymore, especially since people like Anders have been kicked out of the community (lol @ that tit), but I distinctly remember being harrassed by non-RP morons and the city leader defending them with "SORRY HE'S MY FRIEND".

Phinor
21-01-2012, 03:24 PM
I guess you are all from US as I have heard about (almost) none of the MUDs mentioned here despite playing MUDs for closer to 14 years now.

In Finland the main MUD seems to be BatMUD and has been for years and years. Personally I'm still playing Icesus which I started playing back when it was in alpha in 1997-1998. It's definitely not the biggest MUD around with around 50-100 players online at any given time but I just haven't seen any other MUD with as good combat mechanics as Icesus has. There's no RP and the game is in serious need of coders but still, I keep playing it. I just recently hit the max level (though there's still good amount of stuff I've yet to see and max level isn't nearly the end when it comes to spending exp). There's been talk of ascension like features for over a year now that would extend the game for those who have seen most of the it by now.

Fumarole
21-01-2012, 06:06 PM
I was pretty much addicted to MUDs back in '93/'94, which is why I stay as far away from MMOs as I can get today. I played on Afterhours and Three Kingdoms while attending college and would leave my account logged in while I went to class so I wouldn't lose a place on the server.

Harlander
21-01-2012, 06:10 PM
I've had a shot of BatMUD; kinda bounced off it, though. And I sunk a fair bit of time into one called New Worlds, though I don't know if it's the same one you mentioned. I remember I had to invent some riddles as part of getting into the mage guild

DevinSmoth
21-01-2012, 07:37 PM
The issue with Midkemia is that the community is relatively terrible. It's like the worst parts of the nepotism of Lusternia and the dickishness of Achaea combined into one. I played from about day one, so it might not be true anymore, especially since people like Anders have been kicked out of the community (lol @ that tit), but I distinctly remember being harrassed by non-RP morons and the city leader defending them with "SORRY HE'S MY FRIEND".
The community isn't that great, in my opinion. I have a feeling that it would be better if it was a bit larger, perhaps... but at this point... it's very clique-ish, which I'm never very fond of, even if I'm in the clique. ;) But yeah, I think the game would be better if that was fixed.

That said, I'm not a huge PvPer, so PK is something that i'm not a huge fan of in my games, which is why I think I'm drawn more towards Aardwolf than another IRE game. If you want to, the PvP games are there, but definitely not a main focus.

And I sunk a fair bit of time into one called New Worlds, though I don't know if it's the same one you mentioned. I remember I had to invent some riddles as part of getting into the mage guild
That sounds like the same to me! ;)

Jorum
22-01-2012, 11:27 PM
Haven't played a mud for must be 12 years, but used to play endlessly (mostly New Moon)

I keep meaning to write something about how I miss the lack of value-of-knowledge in modern MMO.
Partly due to their design, flexibility that only a text-parser can provide, and mainly due to ubiquitous wiki pages and google.

For example in my favorite MUD to become a thief, you first had to find the hidden thief guild - no I lie - you first had to find out the the thief guild even existed. And other thief players probably wouldn't tell a stranger, even if you knew who to ask, which you wouldn't because thieves and assassins weren't shown as such and pretended to be a different class. (obvious when you think about it)

You can't get that nowdays. Even a simple thing like painstakingly searching a cliff and finding the hidden handholds leading to a secret camp wouldn't work with modern MMO systems.

DevinSmoth
23-01-2012, 12:15 AM
and even if it did, everyone would know about it in beta of the game because it'd be on the wiki. New Worlds has a similar thing as well, so I totally know what you're talking about. The golden age of MMOs already passed us by and most people don't even know it. ;)