PDA

View Full Version : Who Think the New Alienware X51 is a Good Deal?

squirrel
21-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Such a beauty, everything in such a condensed form, in a price of USD1540 something (Chinese price) with 3-year warranty.

Gamespy reviewed that it will run Battlefield 3 in high details with fps30. This princess equips with a 1GB GT555. If you choose GT545 you can deduct about USD100 from the price.

I am currently using Dell XPS. Not a big deal, too.

Mistabashi
21-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Like evrything made under the Alienware brand, it isn't a "good deal", it's ridiculously expensive, even for a pre-built. Okay, it has the profile of a console, but what's the point in buying an expensive under-specced gaming PC that you can't upgrade? If you want something compact you'd be much better off with a slightly larger Mini-ITX build, it would cost you half as much and perform better.

Snargelfargen
21-01-2012, 05:52 PM
You pay a huge premium for the i7 2600 when it's lesser brother the i5 2500 would be just as good for gaming. Not that it matters, because almost any processor will be bottlenecked by the GPU.

The GTX 555M is a mediocre laptop graphics card. You can get a significantly better gpu for around 120$.

You will never be able to upgrade or replace any parts, because the the case is very small and only comes with a 330 Watt power supply. Well, unless you get some micro-atx parts but why not make your own build at that point?

Just get an XBOX 360 if you like the form factor, it's a way better deal and you can still play all your movies and music on it.

Edit: sorry if I come off a bit harsh. It's just that the processor/gpu combo is balls out crazy! I see you can also choose to get an i3 or i5 which makes a lot more sense. Still really expensive, but it makes sense if you have lots of money and no time to build something yourself.

spcd
21-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Even if you have lots of money and no time to build something yourself you shouldn't buy this.

squirrel
22-01-2012, 10:45 AM
My god so the GPU it uses is of mobile version? If that's the case it's retarded, and Dell is very dishonest. In Chinese page it mentions nothing about using mobile version GPU!

Then I have to agree with you mates that it's a bad deal. I am actually not that fond of form factor. I mean, of course everyone would prefer smaller case than huge desktop case, but that's for all technical issues (cooling the first) to be resolved and price being reasonable. I dont prepare to pay that price with a desktop that comes with mobile version GPU. For that price I should be able to get a notebook.

Rii
22-01-2012, 11:58 AM
I'm not sure what the deal is with folks like Alienware and Razer using i7 CPUs in their platforms and pairing them with distinctly average GPUs. It just doesn't make any sense from a gaming perspective at all. Or from a value-for-money perspective.

soldant
22-01-2012, 12:22 PM
My god so the GPU it uses is of mobile version? If that's the case it's retarded, and Dell is very dishonest. In Chinese page it mentions nothing about using mobile version GPU!
Um... it's a mini-ITX form factor. Where exactly was the GPU supposed to go?

It's not a bad concept for a mini gaming machine, because for what it's worth it wouldn't be exceptionally bad at playing games. I built a micro-ATX build (i5 2500k with a GTX570, 750w PSU) but it's still a really big case (has to be for heat exhaust and to accommodate the long GTX570). From that perspective, it's not a bad idea so long as you fully understand what you're getting.

But that price is ridiculous! Even more ridiculous is that the AU price is $1299! That's approaching double the cost (given 1AUD is usually 1USD these days). I get that freight is expensive, but really, almost double the price?!

Memph
22-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Gamespy reviewed that it will run Battlefield 3 in high details with fps30.
I am currently using Dell XPS. Not a big deal, too.

My old Dell XPS420, 2.4 with a gtx460 could run BF3 on high (with no AA of course). Tbh i think you'll be very dissapointed if upgrading from a similar rig. Expecially where BF3 is concerned. I went up to an i5 2500k and kept the 460 and it ran much smoother, but i still get artifacts if i crank the soft and hard AA up full.

Bang for buck, i think an i5 2500k (overclockable) and a 560ti is all you'll need for any game currently out and going branded is literally burning money. Have a gander at somewhere like http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/ (where i snagged mine from) and play with the configurator some. As others have said you can get far, far better parts than Alienware tend to slap into a pretty case.

DVD773
22-01-2012, 05:06 PM
My self build 400 machine can "run Battlefield 3 in high details with fps30". This is not a good deal.

Tams80
22-01-2012, 06:42 PM
"of course everyone would prefer smaller case than huge desktop case"

Nah.

zookeeper
22-01-2012, 08:57 PM
I haven't even looked up the specs, but I'm going to have to go with everyone else on this. If it says Alienware on the box, it's not a good deal.

Gozuu
23-01-2012, 10:56 AM
I've tried on PC Gamer to put some sense into gamers, that this is just a peak into the future of PC machines for the very common gamer. The price will as always with Alienware be too high for its insides, though, the fact that Alienware tries to progress and minimize the space of a PC (which I think is far too much at the moment) is a great thing. Rather than building bigger towers, bigger graphics cards and bigger coolers, I would really want them to become smaller, less demanding and still offer the same power. This one might not fit into the last criteria - it is a good prototype though for the first two :)