PDA

View Full Version : Mech games! Tips needed!

Hanban
21-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Recently I've been scouring the internet for the Steel Battalion joypad+game for the original Xbox. It seems like a pretty swell mech simulator and I've been looking to try it ever since it came out.

My reason for wanting to play this game stems from an aching longing to play a good mech game, simply. Which is also why I started this thread. Aside from the Mechwarrior series which I have played for countless hours, most recently with the Mektek rerelease of Mechwarrior 4, I haven't found many mech games to play. Are there any mech games out there, indie or otherwise, that I might have missed? I played the Starsiege games back in the day, played a bit of Mechwarrior Living Legends, but aside from that I can't think of any good game to try out. Tips appreciated!

mpk
21-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Perpetuum Online - EVE players don't die, they just swap ships for robots...

It's not really a mech game - it's quite clearly an MMO with robots instead of elves - and the scale is disappointingly small in that bots and mechs tend to float over the ground rather than stompy stompy, but it's an interesting alternative to the EVE structure.

Heliocentric
21-01-2012, 12:04 PM
I need to mention it again LAPD Futurecop, coop, weapon selection, a proto version of dota of a sort, it is the final name of "future strike"(from the same series as desert strike). Get a good voip team together and living legends is quite literally the best multiplayer mechwarrior game. But Mechcommander 2 was the most fun I ever had in a campaign because of not arbitrarily stopping me from filling my weight limit with teeny tiny mechs. But Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries is probably the better single player campaign but it sets of my battletech OCD.

asskicker
21-01-2012, 12:09 PM
I need to mention it again LAPD Futurecop, coop, weapon selection, a proto version of dota of a sort, it is the final name of "future strike"(from the same series as desert strike).

Oh yes, that was one of the most amazing games I ever played when I was younger. I still have the box next to me!

metalangel
21-01-2012, 01:29 PM
If you're on the original Xbox, please check out Phantom Crash! It's extremely, ludicrously Japanese but it features some brilliant features like a music store and the option to build your own robot from a selection of parts including wheels/legs/hoverjets, different weapons, different bodies, and so forth.

The gameplay itself is deathmatch style fighting over the blasted ruins of Tokyo (what a surprise), with online-style text chatter and ranking and regional champions. It was probably my favourite game on the original Xbox so you should be able to get it for a song now.

R-F
21-01-2012, 01:34 PM
http://www.gearheadrpg.com/ - It's a mech roguelike RPG?

Hanban
21-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Gonna check out that roguelike, looks neat!

I played LAPD Futurecop a ton when I was younger! Excellent game indeed.

squirrel
21-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Steel Battalion joypad? This game doesnt work with any joypad / joystick, it works only with its massive, iconic controller with paddle. It's advertised that all buttons have its own in-game function. There is no fake button. I recall that in 2003 when I learnt of this game, the controller + game bundle was price USD149, exactly the same price of the xbox itself at the time. And Capcom simply let the excess demand exist. Unfortunately that's a console game. If it's a PC game there should be abundant user-generated contents to extend the life of the game.

And anyone tried Front Mission Evolved? How's this game play well?

TailSwallower
21-01-2012, 02:19 PM
I assume you've heard about both Hawken (http://www.hawkengame.com/blog/) and Mechwarrior Online (http://www.mwomercs.com/)? MWO due around mid this year I think, Hawken is an indie project, so I don't think they're announcing dates yet, but the gameplay footage already looks fantastic.

There's also Shattered Steel (http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/shattered_steel) at GOG, which I bought during the Christmas sale, but haven't got around to playing yet.

Otherwise I think any other suggestion I might have made has been covered.

Hanban
21-01-2012, 02:35 PM
@Squirrel

Meant the original Steel Battalion controller! I didn't like Front Mission Evolved much. It basically just felt like any 3rd person shooter. A shame since I enjoyed Front Mission 3 on playstation. Though that was a very different game.

@TailSwallower

Yeah! I'm keeping my eyes on them for news on potential betas.

Think I'll actually buy Shattered Steel. Looks familiar but I'm unsure of whether or not I played it.

Wizardry
21-01-2012, 03:51 PM
BattleTech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception is a pretty good turn-based RPG where you can actually walk around and fight outside of mechs too. It's a very short game, only taking roughly 10 hours to complete. It starts off quite slowly with you being given some routine missions, but then picks up the pace when something big happens. It's also the prequel to The Crescent Hawk's Revenge, which is a real-time tactics game that ended up being effectively MechCommander 0.

Taidan
21-01-2012, 11:42 PM
I have Steel Battalion, complete with ludicrous controller, on the original Xbox. The game itself doesn't get played much these days, (It's bastard unforgiving, and will delete your save-game if you fail to eject from a damaged VT in time) but the controller, with a very cheap adaptor, works absolutely fine on the PC. I have a photo somewhere of me playing MechWarrior 4 with it, through a TV.

Other than that, I quite enjoyed Battle Engine Aquila, if you can find a copy of that anywhere, and I don't think that the Heavy Gear games have been mentioned yet. Shogo (Also on GOG) technically has Mechs, but plays like a scaled up FPS.

If you go back a little further in time, there was quite a glut of them at one point. You had stuff like Krazy Ivan, Battledrome, (Part of the same series as Earthsiege and Starsiege), Slave Zero, and probably quite a few more. I think even Virtual On was ported to the PC at one point.

Moraven
22-01-2012, 02:23 AM
If you're on the original Xbox, please check out Phantom Crash! It's extremely, ludicrously Japanese but it features some brilliant features like a music store and the option to build your own robot from a selection of parts including wheels/legs/hoverjets, different weapons, different bodies, and so forth.

The gameplay itself is deathmatch style fighting over the blasted ruins of Tokyo (what a surprise), with online-style text chatter and ranking and regional champions. It was probably my favourite game on the original Xbox so you should be able to get it for a song now.

Not much of Mech game. :P To bad they shut down Live! on the Xbox, was great multiplayer. Best $20 spent.

Edit: Yep thinking of wrong game.

ZamFear
22-01-2012, 09:58 AM
There's the Heavy Gear (http://www.mobygames.com/game/heavy-gear) series, and more obscure G-Nome (http://www.mobygames.com/game/g-nome). Whether or not you can actually find them and get them to run is another matter entirely.

Tams80
22-01-2012, 05:34 PM
If you like anime and don't mind a rather standard game, then the Eureka Seven games might interest you. They're for the PS2 and you'll also probably want to be interested in the story. Watching the anime first may make them more enjoyable.

If you don't like anime, then you probably won't like them.

metalangel
22-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Not much of Mech game. :P To bad they shut down Live! on the Xbox, was great multiplayer. Best $20 spent.

Wrong game, sorry. Phantom Crash was very much a mech game and didn't have Live support.

TailSwallower
22-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Chrome Hounds is the only Mech game I know of on 360 that got neutered by them turning off the servers. I never got around to playing it either, which is a shame - sounds like it could have been amazing in the right situations.

And yeah, I remember playing the Phantom Crash demo on original Xbox. Too arcadey or something for my tastes, so I never tried the full game.

And I remember getting Heavy Gear back in the day 'cause it was supposedly made by the MW2 team and wanting more stompy mech action. It's not very 'stompy' 'cause you're in something that's somewhere between a mech and a battle suit, but it was still a good game.
I'm not sure how easy it would be to get MW2, Mercenaries, or the 2 Heavy Gears running under Windows 7. GOGed Interstate 76 isn't great, and that's the same engine.

sabrage
23-01-2012, 07:11 AM
http://www.gearheadrpg.com/ - It's a mech roguelike RPG?
It's not absolutely hideous: Not a roguelike.

Chrome Hounds was nothing special, gameplay-wise. The mech creator was great but the game itself was incredibly boring.

squirrel
23-01-2012, 07:16 AM
Mech games are generally not as fast-paced as most shooter games. Maybe that's why it's not a common genre. I always consider that mech sims in many aspects resemble shooter games.

But I really love Mech games. Man's romance. Man how I long for Steel Battalion. It's just I cannot afford it. Seriously I think it's better off to put every piece of hardware into that controller and turn it into a plug-n-play. Save all the troubles for hardware setup. It's expensive anyway.

Hanban
23-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Ended up playing Mechwarrior 4 Mercs from MekTek. Still quite enjoyable!

Dug out my Mech Commander 2 disc but didn't manage to get it working properly. Quite a shame!

Inverselaw
23-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Both Mechcommander games are free now. You use to able to get them from Mechcommander.org in the past but the site seems to be down. Also quick googling informs me that the installer is 16 bit which means that my plan to reinstall it this evening isint looking to good :p

Heck even the Mechcommander 2 source code is downloadable now, ther's even a engine rewrite called Mechcommander Omnitech out on the internet (it dosent have the videos though, making it about half as fun as the actual game).

MC1 always made me feel like a commander in a real futur military. I guess it was how it was written, The game was rather explicit about how you were one unit among others, with missions requiring you to prep stuff for other units and others where you mop up the work of other teams.

MC2 had ultimatly a very silly plot where you ultimatly defeat two houses and bring independence to a world purely by following orders and getting backstabbed. Truly the most passive revolution ever. Its the more fun to play of the two games though, since its more forgiving you can try interesting tactics and strategy. The first was so hard you had to play extremely conservativly.

I really didnt like MW4 for some reason. It seemed more ackward and low-fi then MW3 for some strange reason.

Capt. Eduardo del Mango
24-01-2012, 08:39 PM
A (rich) friend of mine got Steel Batallion with the controller when it came out, and I played it on his six foot wide projector with an enormous sound system. It was, genuinely, hillarious - firing the thing up, you really felt like you were in control of some sodding great robot covered in misiles.

I used to play Battletech as a kid, but didn't enjoy anything after MW2.

TailSwallower
24-01-2012, 11:00 PM
I wanted SB and that controller so bad. Could have even justified the cost, but couldn't justify paying double for freight to Australia.

metalangel
24-01-2012, 11:22 PM
A (rich) friend of mine got Steel Batallion with the controller when it came out, and I played it on his six foot wide projector with an enormous sound system. It was, genuinely, hillarious - firing the thing up, you really felt like you were in control of some sodding great robot covered in missiles.

Did he ever break the glass to hit the EJECT button?