PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for a multiplayer noob?

creative42
21-01-2012, 04:24 PM
After chatting to a colleague about games, I've decided to give multiplayer a try. I'm a bit apprehensive so any advice would be welcome. I thought Team Fortress 2 would be a good starting point. In singleplayer games I usually dive straight in with combat (like the warrior class in Dragon Age), but also I wouldn't claim to be that good at defeating the enemy, so which role in TF2 would be best for me?

Tei
21-01-2012, 04:37 PM
Soldier seems easy enough. Shot rockets at people faces.

Wellcome :D

vinraith
21-01-2012, 04:39 PM
I spent my first 20 hours in TF2 as a medic. It lets you get a feel for the roles, the maps, and the game as a whole without placing pressure on your to be solely responsible for the forward progress of your team.

Squiz
21-01-2012, 04:46 PM
I also found the Medic to be a good starter class. You pick up a lot of stuff if you're in a combo with a good player and if you are not you quickly learn what behaviours to avoid. The Soldier might be a bit difficult at first (at least it was for me) since he is so slow and improves so much if you can rocket jump well. Maybe the Pyro? With that class you'll quickly learn the map layouts and to judge distances.

Stay away from the Spy and Sniper (in case you aren't a really good shot) at first, as these are the classes that require really good performance to be of any use to your team.

Edit: Also check out the Community Fortress (http://communityfortress.com/) pages and forums. You'll find tons of advice and helpful people there.

LaunchJC
21-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Ditto what people have said about Medic, even though I started playing Demo! Payload is probably the best gamemode to start with, tends to have a slower pace to KOTH & CP.

Avoid servers that have paid membership bonuses, if you see a dispenser shooting rockets, you're in the wrong place!

Nova
21-01-2012, 05:26 PM
The Heavy is a good choice if you have many medics on your server. He's not the best for learning about the maps, though.

PeopleLikeFrank
21-01-2012, 06:16 PM
I learned mostly with Medic & Engineer at first. I later played a lot of Pyro and Heavy. Now it's a mix of Soldier, Demoman and Heavy for the most part.

Medic is excellent for learning the maps, as you need to be following your teammates around. Keep everyone you can see healed up rather than just focusing on one person. Players that were wounded a longer time ago heal more quickly, so you can switch over to someone coming back from the front lines to heal them up quickly, then return to others you're dealing with. Don't be afraid to use your Übers if you're threatened - better to use it at a non-optimal time than die with a full charge.

Engineer can be a good learning class too, as you can help the team greatly without a lot of combat, but there's a lot of learning where good placements are for sentries, etc. Don't be afraid to ask for advice - TF2 is a pretty friendly game. (If it's not, find a better server!) Remember to place teleporters to get your team from the spawn room to the battle more quickly. Right-click to rotate the exit so people don't pop out facing a wall!

Soldier is easy to learn, hard to master. If you've ever played Quake or the like, you'll get the hang quickly. The rocket launcher gives you great damage, but don't be afraid to switch to your shotgun either. Rocket jumping, leading targets, and bouncing them into the air with the rocket blast are essential things to work on.

The Heavy gives you the most hitpoints and high damage, but you're slow and range limited. It's easy to pick up, but the skill comes in learning the tactics - placing yourself so that people have to come around corners to fight you at short range, anticipating where enemies will come from. When you can bull through with your high HP, when you need to retreat, etc.

Those are the best beginner classes, IMO.

Lightbulb
21-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Soldier is for me a hard character to play.

If you have never played multiplayer though what are you looking for? FPS?

TF2 is alright. I like the Battlefield games thought they take a time to master (and this come from someone who played Counter-Strike for about 5 years so maybe not the best new player game).

However I prefer a moire realistic game than TF2. A few hits and you're down kinda thing.

Serenegoose
21-01-2012, 06:34 PM
Heavy or medic are my beginner classes of choice. Medic gives you a pressure free way of learning the maps and tactics in the game, but isn't to everyone's taste. Heavy gives you a big HP wall and medic priority, as well as a gun that's easy to aim, meaning that you can make a few mistakes without necessarily just dying in the same way a scout might.

duff
21-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Make sure to try out Left 4 Dead as well, a great multiplayer game you can enjoy with just a few friends.

Spider Jerusalem
21-01-2012, 08:11 PM
the main thing with any mp game is: bring your friends.

creative42
21-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks for info. Gonna try medic class first. Here goes...

Rakysh
21-01-2012, 08:24 PM
As a long-time Scout, I would recommend him as a starting class. Excellent for learning the way the maps fit together. You'll die a lot, but that's fine really

Mistabashi
21-01-2012, 08:57 PM
I think more important than picking a class is picking a good server. Although TF2's community in general is pretty friendly to newcomers in general there's still plenty of servers out there that are full of whiny teenagers, which won't help ease a new player in. There's also an abundance of 24/7 instant-respawn 2fort servers around, or servers with horrible mods and "premium features" that basically give cheats to people who contribute. If you're in Europe, avoid saigns.de servers like the plague (use the blacklist feature in the server browser). If you find a good vanilla server with friendly people on it, add it to your favorites as jumping into random public servers is always hit-or-miss.

creative42
21-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Just played the Dustbowl tutorial game. Great game, and I can see why people enjoy it...but all a bit quick and frantic for me. We won the map, but I can see I've got alot of practising to do before I join in on a real game.

Is there such a thing as a less frantic online game?

slick_101
21-01-2012, 09:17 PM
if you want a less frantic game, you could go to the server browser and from there you can select your player count, ranging from 16-32 players this means you can scale the "franticness" right down making it a lot more new-player friendly. Another great factor is that you are able to call for a coach (and I actually coach from time to time, having played the game since 2008 I should know a thing or two). so if you want I can coach you playing? if you're interested add my steam cat8064 and drop me a message

Mistabashi
21-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Is there such a thing as a less frantic online game?

Yeah, there's plenty around, although I'm struggling to think of examples. Killing Floor is a pretty good bet, it's a co-op survival game where you and up to 5 other players have to survive against waves of generally slow moving specimens. It still gets pretty frantic, but you won't be running around much, most maps are more about picking a spot and defending. It's pretty brutal in terms of difficulty, especially for a beginner, but it's really rewarding, one of my most-played online games (I don't play many to be honest). Just remember to use the difficulty filter on the server browser, if you're new to the game you need to start on easy/normal servers otherwise you will die (and annoy your team-mates).

Also worth pointing out that TF2 was designed with a maximum player count of 24, but most public servers seem to be 32-player, which makes the game much more hectic and spammy. so look for those 24-player servers, and also look for the symmetrical 5-CP maps like Badlands, Granary, Well, Fastlane & Gullywash - the attack/defense CP maps like Dustbowl tend to funnel the action down into a couple of chokepoints which really makes things much more spammy and random (the worst thing about TF2 is all the horrible servers out there).

Tei
21-01-2012, 10:00 PM
I started playing multiplayer online games with Quake1. I don't like TF2 because is too "frantic". But is not my call, and I don't know what other game to suggest.

Games like the Battlefield serie perhaps are less frantic, but also need things like "battlefield awaresness", and that is something that even a lot veteran players don't have.

I think a newbie sould start in a game where have fun, and people don't get angry at him because of his mistakes. It must be fun for him (or he will not continue) and not get attacked because of his noobinesh. I have seen TF2 described as a game where a noob don't affect his team, and seems a game that a lot of people like, so perhaps It will be the right thing!.

cosmicolor
21-01-2012, 10:23 PM
I would second Heavy or Medic. The Heavy can be a killing machine as well as being easy to play, while Medic will allow you to follow behind better players and give you an idea of the maps and the other classes. Wouldn't recommend Soldier, it looks appealing but requires some pretty hot aiming skills to do well with. If you're bad at aiming you won't hit anything much. More so with Scout.

creative42
21-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the advice. Going to persevere with TF2 but also see what else is about (like Killing Floor - thanks Mistabashi), and already what is said online/in mags, about multiplayer games is making more sense.

Heliocentric
21-01-2012, 10:39 PM
I loved TF2, then they started adding weapons that break play flow, like the stunning base ball. Now I despise all of the versatility long time players are afforded, but BF3 is insane for that.

Might I suggest you play an FPS where you are not penalised for being new, sure you might lose because you are new, but not because of a pre order item some other players have.

I despise that about TF2, makes me wish I could remove it from my account.

Suggestions:
Battlefield 2,great game still got a large playerbase, unlocks are mostly irrelevant, plenty of mods, project reality is excellent among them.
Hidden: Source, the halflife 2 mod's player base is small but it's the supreme multiplayer horror game.
Natural selection a truly great game which probably suffers too much from its aging graphics.
Return to Castle Wolfenstein:
Enemy Territory , free, best multiplayer flame thrower so far.
Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood multiplayer is limited to 4 players I think, but each commands a squad of 4 AIs. A truly unique experience.
Splinter cell Chaos Theory: Versus (aka shadowstrike) a deeply personal and tense stealth action game, you don't need to kill to win, you have a mission.
SWAT 4, tense, stressful, emotional powerful. A shooter where shooting means things are screwed. Where winning means no-one needs a trip to hospital and losing can happen so brutally.

Non of these games hide guns or skills until you grind them into availability.

Edit : Arma 2, killing floor, quake live, and ut2004 are all notable. The ultimate near miss award goes to Bioshock 2 that could have been excellent but the triple threat of GFWL, peer to peer and matchmaking FECKED IT TO BUGGERY.

Rakysh
21-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Also don't forget that RTS multiplayer can be very rewarding. I personally find it far too stressful, but some people love it. Also, Bad Company 2 is quite nice and if you play medic and don't even kill anyone you can still do pretty well.

Heliocentric
21-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Also don't forget that RTS multiplayer can be very rewarding. I personally find it far too stressful, but some people love it. Also, Bad Company 2 is quite nice and if you play medic and don't even kill anyone you can still do pretty well.

RTS is the hard stuff for when you no longer get an adrenaline rush clearing a room of enemies and you get sick of people not being tactical enough. The most pleasant multiplayer RTS for a new player is without question ' Swords and Soldiers', don't be fooled by cartoon graphics,crazy powers or funny units multiplayer can get brutal.

Rakysh
21-01-2012, 11:26 PM
I agree, but I'd also point out that RTSs are for being a bastard. I spent happy hours in CoH painstakingly setting up a perimeter around the enemy base and just waiting for people to quit. I never got the hang of DoW though, that was a shame.

Heliocentric
21-01-2012, 11:34 PM
I agree, but I'd also point out that RTSs are for being a bastard. I spent happy hours in CoH painstakingly setting up a perimeter around the enemy base and just waiting for people to quit. I never got the hang of DoW though, that was a shame.

If you are playing CoH on annihilation you are playing it wrong. Annihilation is for messing about vs AI on arceous river with 15 walking stukkas.

Rakysh
21-01-2012, 11:39 PM
Oh no, on VP capture. If I own the land around the point, do I really need to own the point?

MD!
21-01-2012, 11:50 PM
Do give Quake Live a go. It's not generally considered newbie-friendly, but if you're willing to learn a few basics, and are happy to start by playing Free-For-Alls or low-tier CA games, it's actually pretty simple to get into. There's a fair chance you won't like it, but it's free, and if it does click for you, it'll open up an extremely fun and satisfying style of gaming that you won't get from anything else these days. (With the exception of even less popular games, like the other Quakes and Warsow.) Don't believe anyone who tells you 'TF2 is similar to Quake if you play a Soldier or a Scout' :)

edit: for FPS games, I reckon one of the best ways of deciding what to play is to watch a couple of videos. Not just random gameplay videos, but "frag movies" or high level ("pro") matches. Seeing and being inspired by what can be done in a game can give you the motivation to get better (which is a fun process in itself). If you don't have this sense of awesome possibilities, you could easily bounce right off once the novelty wears away, or end up sticking with whatever is most immediately satisfying, rather than what will be most worth it in the long run.

Heliocentric
22-01-2012, 01:56 AM
Oh no, on VP capture. If I own the land around the point, do I really need to own the point?

You are a bad bad man.

Lightbulb
22-01-2012, 09:17 AM
The best advice is just to PLAY. Have fun doing it. It will take between 5 and 10 hours to get "ok". I would say.

No one takes TF2 that seriously. To be honest I have had some terrible scores in BF3 and people never notice.

---

The games were people really get angry were the ones were if you died you would not respawn until a new round started. This meant that your team mates who died would become spectators and watch you. They would realise you were not that great. Some would get stressed out about this (the likes of Counter Strike are like this).

The same thing can happen in small scale coop games like Left 4 Dead. Because you are such a small team (4) having one less good person will really hurt the team. Again this is partly because of the spectator thing. But the thing which links these 2 types of game is the penalty for death.

Compare to TF2 - 24 or 32 players. If there are 16 players on your team having one less good player doesn't matter as much. Also the penalty for death is almost nothing.

----

Just go PLAY. Practice against bots is ok but the most fun is playing with real people.

ado
22-01-2012, 11:50 AM
The only tip i really have is DO NOT PLAY COUNTER-STRIKE! It's a cool game, don't get me wrong, but for some reason it turns people in to twitching, raging assholes. If you want a hardcore competitive shooter then I'd recommend Quake Live instead.

Anyways you made an exceptionally good choice with TF2, so here are some other games I'd recommend: Diablo 2 (still one of best coop experiences out there, at least until D3), L4D2 (very underrated, amazingly fun coop shooter that's miles better than it's predecessor), Minecraft (get a few friends together, find a good server and you'll be hooked forever) and Dark Souls (if you own a PS3/360, a game that uses it's online feature it a really amazing and original way, also great coop and PvP).

Cooper
22-01-2012, 01:33 PM
In general, TF2 seems to have the nicest playerbase. I think the nature of the game means that people's comeptitive edges get dulled. Also, on most of the serves I use, anything that's remotely funny get precedent over playing the game 'properly'...

The thing to do with TF2 is try to find servers that are regularly populated so that you can go back to them. The PCGamer server seems to have died, which is a shame. One of the better places to start playing TF2 though are, actually, the good new player servers. In the UK, the UKmandown New Player server is the best. Very friendly, very well populated.

Yeah, Tf2 is the better choice for those new to multiplayer.

Wolfenswan
22-01-2012, 02:14 PM
RE: Arma2.

It might seem scary and super-complex but really isn't. Our Arma Community, ARPS, is extremly newb-friendly and doesn't expect you to know anything besides how to run towards the enemy and shot a few bullets while on the way (they don't have to be accurate). It's a game that you'll learn by doing and it never takes longer than a few sessions together with the more experienced players to remove the initial confusing. There's Arma2 Free which isn't bad but generally the public free servers are an experience very very different from what we aim for. Some of ARPS tend to play on the free server as well, enforcing more coordinated play and kicking teamkillers but generally I'd say either splash out for both Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead. (Note: It's possible to use Operation Arrowhead together with Arma 2 Free if you don't mind ugly textures).

Trees_are_pretty_cool
22-01-2012, 04:18 PM
Try out Bloodline Champions if you want to give an arena/MOBA style game a go, the learning curve isn't too bad, and the community is friendly compared to the likes of LoL or HoN (not that that really says anything).

Heliocentric
22-01-2012, 10:27 PM
the community is friendly compared to rabid scorpions

the community is friendly compared to stage 4 cancer

the community is friendly compared to fundamentalist extremist

the community is friendly compared to [insert bad thing here]
Here, if you ever feel like talking about the 'MOBA/DoTa' genre (except LAPD Futurecop multiplayer which is awesome) I have some more motivational posts lined up for you.

Rakysh
22-01-2012, 10:34 PM
I played at least fourteen games of League of Legends without having a really bad experience. In conclusion, your experiences are clearly all invalidated by mine!

Heliocentric
22-01-2012, 11:16 PM
I played at least fourteen games of League of Legends without having a really bad experience. In conclusion, your experiences are clearly all invalidated by mine!
Ha, no you can have a good time, even if 80% of the population were bastards* then you could easily end up with the other 20... But as a whole, their is some real hate there, and its purely the games fault, the mechanics suggest you hate your allies, as often you'd literally be better off if they disconnected.

*~79% last check