PDA

View Full Version : What do you listen to when Gaming?

Juan Carlo
22-01-2012, 06:02 PM
I have never understood how people can listen to in game music. I've tried before and it's always bored me to tears. In fact, one of my main reasons for playing video games is just to give me an excuse to listen to music and/or podcasts. Music works with anything, I find, although podcasts work best for games without alot of dialogue.

So how many of you actually listen to in game music when playing?

Juan Carlo
22-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Also, if anyone cares, these are my favorite podcasts. All are awesome.

WTF with Marc MAron--an interview show hosted by comedian Marc Maron: http://www.wtfpod.com (http://www.wtfpod.com/)

The Nerdist--a panel show hosted by comedians focusing on more "nerdy" topics (although their definition of "nerd" is pretty loose): http://www.nerdist.com/podcast/nerdist/

RISK!--A story telling podcast where people tell personal stories based around various themes. This one is really, really, good: http://risk-show.com/

Mental Illness Happy Hour--If you like things dark, with a sense of humor, this one is good. It's an interview show with people with varying degrees of mental illness hosted by a comedian: http://mentalpod.com/

This American Life--A documentary radio show that is probably the single best radio show/podcast out there right now:http://www.thisamericanlife.org/

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Flint
22-01-2012, 06:10 PM
On the other hand, I've never understood listening to something completely different while playing a game. The vast majority of the time the music that's been composed specifically for the game is far more atmospheric and immersive for that game; putting my own things in the background would break the mood and possible immersion, harming the experience to me. Plus there's a lot of good and even amazing game soundtracks that I'll listen to even outside their respective games.

The only exceptions for me have been GTA3's custom radio station and WoW whenever I logged in for a quick daily quest tour (which became a fairly automated routine after a while) and nothing else. Otherwise I'll always stick to whatever the game is offering (and if such a rare case comes up where I actually dislike the music, which hasn't happened so far, I'd rather simply mute the music instead of replacing it).

Juan Carlo
22-01-2012, 06:16 PM
^Nah. Even if a game has awesome music, it almost always becomes repetitive after a bit. But quite frankly, I'd say the vast majority of game music isn't that great.

However there are exceptions that I don't do this with: Adventure games (there's too much dialogue to bother playing with outside music), games where immersion is important (ala "Amnesia: The Dark Descent"), games where the music is supposed to be one of the attractions (ala BAstion--althoug I do admit I got really bored with BAstion's music halfway through the game).

However, with certain games (especially repetitive ones and open world games, etc, etc) I don't see how anyone could play them without outside music and not get bored.

But I've never really had a problem with immersion or following stories and I've played pretty much everything with outside music (so much so that I often associate certain games with certain albums/pieces of music I was listening to most at the time I played them).

Flint
22-01-2012, 06:31 PM
I honestly just can't see it that way, or think that one can genuinely become bored with in-game music especially to the point that it's actually bothersome. Even if the music itself is unexciting to begin with, it'll just disappear into the background to support the mood of the game rather than begin to annoy. I'd find that replacing the music with something completely different would severely harm the mood even when not talking about games that are particularly susceptible to immersion, which is a far bigger thing for me than possibly being uninterested by the game's own selection. I prefer having the game's full audiovisual experience, I find it works best for them.

But it's clearly a matter of preferences.

Tams80
22-01-2012, 06:32 PM
I only really listen to non-game music or podcasts when playing mutliplayer games. Usually because there isn't any music in them in the first place. Even then I often find that it distracts me from game sound effects that can help you e.g locating weapon fire, which I find help a lot.

Mistabashi
22-01-2012, 06:35 PM
I agree with Flint, I can't understand why you would do that, it would totally spoil the experience for me (with most games anyway).

Then again, some people these days play single-player games while chatting to their buddies on Skype (and probably with the TV on in the background and half a dozen browser tabs to switch to every now and again). How you could enjoy a single-player game like this is beyond me.

Then again, people talk during movies...

Hordriss
22-01-2012, 06:37 PM
I'm with Flint on this one - the game soundtrack is an integral part of the experience as far as I'm concerned. The only exception to this for me was WoW, during which I'd sometimes have other music or err... Radio 4 in the background.

Mistabashi
22-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Yeah, playing an MMO or building something in Minecraft I can understand, as those are somewhat automated experiences that don't really demand your full attention. I would hate it if that was the only way I could play games though.

Althea
22-01-2012, 06:45 PM
I tend to listen to the in-game music. The problems you're describing are more to do with terrible sound direction than the music itself. Space Marine had a fairly good soundtrack, but the sound direction was incredibly poor which lead to repetitive sections and irritating bits of music scattered around. It'd be really epic... only for nothing to happen, as an example (the start of the last mission, with Titus disembarking from the Thunderhawk is a good scene for what I mean).

In MMOs, I used to love tavern music (oddly enough, I don't drink) as it was often cheery or really beautifully composed. This went for The Witcher as well (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qz2PSnua_Q), with its few tavern pieces being some of the best in the game.

But yeah, generally I leave the music playing and I'll even buy a game for the soundtrack. I absolutely adore Dynamedion's work on various series - The Settlers, Anno, Drakensang - because their work compliments the games so much. I've even considered picking up ArcaniA simply because they did the soundtrack for it. Kirill Pokrovsky did some utterly amazing pieces for the Divinity series, and whilst I've only really played Divinity 2, I loved how beautifully it worked with the game. It was atmospheric when it needed to be, it was charming, lifting, encouraging... and even downright cheesy at one point. Lind Erebos' work for Katauri's King's Bounty (the same tracks were used across all three, but each version added new ones) had some amazing stuff, too. Heck, I even managed to get through Keepsake thanks to its stunning music.

I don't think much of Bethesda's audio mixers, though, as the music barely seems to play in Skyrim and in FO3 it wasn't particularly exciting (maybe due to Inon Zur). Even Obsidian's New Vegas left a lot to be desired in that regard. Soule does great themes but his in-game work seems largely forgettable to me.

Example of Dynamedion's outstanding Settlers work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW_af6IQQec

Kelron
22-01-2012, 06:52 PM
In game music for me. The key point being that it's background music. I'm not sitting there listening to music, I'm playing a game. I'd rather have music composed to complement the game rather than my own music which would distract. Exceptions being multiplayer or high score-type games that aren't designed for immersion.

Chevy
22-01-2012, 07:03 PM
I think that sound and music design is every bit as important as art and mechanics design. I can't imagine ever playing a game without it's own soundtrack.

Cooper
22-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Depends. I have a playlist on Spotify for playing TF2.

I tend to listen to my own music for most sim / management games (e/g: Cities in motion).

But for action games, I tend to stick with the original score. Unless it is dire.

If I can concentrate on a podcast whilst playing a game, the game is not doing a good enough job of keeping me engaged.

NecroKnight
22-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Back when I played WoW I used to play Rammstein, especially on battlegrounds. It would just singnificantly improve the atmosphere. Also while playing CoD4 I would listen to death metal bands like Children of Bodom, Kalmah, Dark Tranquility & Entombed.

hamster
22-01-2012, 08:14 PM
I think OP is missing out alot. Lots of games have set piece specific music which really bring to life the scenes they accompany. Alot of JRPGs like the FF series have awesome boss battle music, area specific music, world map music, character music etc. etc. and very effective it is too, even though back in the day it was all just MIDI. IMO it just isn't the same if you substitute it with your own.

edit:

I did, however, used to play that "LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR" song on loop when i played CS. Actually I stopped after one 2 hour session. It got way too repetitive. I also looped Linkin Park stuff when I played Raven-shield online. That seemed to work fine but I never really got a really strong connection between the two so i don't get any association really, when playing or listening. But now i am beset by nostalgia...and I think it would be really cool if somebody released a new, realistic Rainbow Six and maybe i could loop Numb (also Linkin Park) in the background or something to hopefully get a Miami Vice vibe. Now THAT would be awesome.

Wizardry
22-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Alot of JRPGs like the FF series have awesome boss battle music, area specific music, world map music, character music etc. etc.
I can't stand JRPG music. Way too prominent.

archonsod
22-01-2012, 08:37 PM
I'll listen to the in game music. If I don't like that, I'll turn it off and listen to nothing. Don't really see the point in trying to do two things at once, inevitably one will suffer from the lack of attention.

Nalano
22-01-2012, 08:41 PM
BF3: The chatter of my clanmates.
SC4/CiM/Tropico4: My music collection set on "random." Anything from Willie Colon to Frank Zappa to Siouxsie Sioux.

In MMOs, I used to love tavern music (oddly enough, I don't drink) as it was often cheery or really beautifully composed. This went for The Witcher as well (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qz2PSnua_Q), with its few tavern pieces being some of the best in the game.

Generic RPG tavern music is not what is played in real life taverns where people drink.

Wizardry
22-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Generic RPG tavern music is not what is played in real life taverns where people drink.
Not sure about that. Depends on the game. That example from The Witcher is clearly just a piece of game music that happens to play when you're in a tavern, so your point stands on that one.

Nalano
22-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Not sure about that. Depends on the game. That example from The Witcher is clearly just a piece of game music that happens to play when you're in a tavern, so your point stands on that one.

Humorously enough, the place where I'd most likely here a lot of fife-heavy small-ensemble music is in the Port Authority Bus Terminal on 42nd Street, because sociologists determined at one point or another that period instruments were the most calming of all possible musical choices when people are pissed about having to wait on their respective commutes.

If I were hanging out at a bar, however, it'd be all top 40 hits.

Chevy
22-01-2012, 09:08 PM
I can't stand JRPG music. Way too prominent.

I can stand it, but I agree, it is most often far too prominent.

Juan Carlo
22-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Really?

There's not a single person that does that?

I'm a bit surprised, actually. If I wasn't able to listen to other music while playing I don't think I would play games nearly as much as I do--I'd certainly enjoy them much less, anyway. I don't see how you wouldn't go insane with boredom playing something like Oblivion for 100+ hours straight if you didn't have something to listen to. It's not like they could possibly score 100+ hours of music for it.

Take Fallout 2, for example. I just played through it and it took 60 hours. There are literally like only a dozen different music tracks for that game, each matched to the different areas. They repeat constantly. Moreover, some of the sections of the game are quite tough if you play on hard (as I did). I had to repeat a few fights over and over until I got them right. I don't see how anyone could do that unless they had something to listen to. I actually think listening to it with the in game music is more immersion breaking just because it's so repetitive and dull.

I'm also currently playing Fallout 3 which is like 75% just wandering through vast expanses killing mutants/raiders over and over. Are there seriously people who enjoy that without having something to listen to?

And, yeah, I listen to alot of music (including classical). There are some exceptions, but the vast majority of video game music is terrible. Most of the time it's usually just generic sub-B movie type music that is the most obvious choice for the genre and that does absolutely nothing interesting (or else, it's just ambient type stuff that doesn't add much at all to the game).

I've done it so much, though, that I'm kind of use to it. I've become quite good at splitting my brain and listening to two things at once(I play L4D2 alot, for example, always listening to music, and it's never given me any problems).

metalangel
22-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Most games, whatever's provided. Exceptions:
-racing games, tend to stick on dance or house music
-WURM or Minecraft, internet radio like 1Mix Radio
-EvE, Eve Radio!

Mistabashi
22-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Fallout 3 is one game where I did start to get irked by the repetetiveness of the music, mainly because the game itself is a bit of a grind and involves long stretches of wandering about and fiddling with your inventory. But then I installed this mod (http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=14946) which adds a whole load of new tracks to the Radio station, all within the same theme of the originals. I wouldn't just throw any old music on in the background though.

However I've probably spent more time playing the Stalker games than any others, and those games involve a lot of wandering about but I wouldn't dream of playing music in the background. I guess it all depends on how much the game actually grabs you, both on the gameplay and audio/visual front.

LongBlade
22-01-2012, 10:03 PM
I almost always listen to the in-game music.

However, I've got friends who are decent FPS players and some of them game with music that is absolutely at odds with that of the sound in the game. Part of me thinks there may be something to that - if all you're doing is taking visual cues from the game, performance might be a bit quicker since it's the only thing you're paying attention to.

That prolly works in FFA, but my favorite type of FPS gaming is hardcore one-shot-one-kill and, in the case of Modern Warfare, I generally take the perks that make me silent when I walk. In those games, I find situational awareness - especially aural - to be vital. In those games, the only think I heard are the inputs into my headset from the game.

Althea
22-01-2012, 10:13 PM
No shit, Sherlock. I don't even go into bars and I could tell you that. My point is that taverns in games tend to get some of the most beautiful pieces of music.

Steelgrave
22-01-2012, 10:13 PM
I've been listening to the music from "Last of the Mohicians" while playing Skyrim. For sci-fi games, sometimes I dig up the soundtrack from "Alien". Works for me.

LongBlade
22-01-2012, 10:17 PM
That does sound cool, Steelie.

Caleb367
22-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Nearly always in-game music, unless I find it not to my liking on an excessive scale. Example: in GTA 4 or SR3 I usually stick to the same radio station (Vladivostok FM or The Mix, respectively) to the point that when on foot I feel like something's missing. But on others I shut in-game music off entirely and put a contest-related Winamp playlist. Say, Left 4 Dead? A few select songs from the Italian soundtrack of Dawn of the Dead (the '78 one) and 28 Days Later theme. Europa Universalis 3? Classical music.
Heck, I've recently played Hearts of Iron 3 as the USSR with choice music from all the three Red Alert games plus Freedom Fighters. It was insanely awesome.

Wizardry
22-01-2012, 10:35 PM
If I were hanging out at a bar, however, it'd be all top 40 hits.
Hanging out in a medieval fantasy world? Okay.

Rakysh
22-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Depends. I have a playlist on Spotify for playing TF2.
This is the stage where you give us a rundown of what's on it. Let me guess, 100% battle-metal?

coldvvvave
22-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Jagged Alliance 2, as much as I love it, has probably the most dull and repetitve music ever created for a game. Since it's one of the few games I replay pretty much once every year this 'ost' got old very fast, I started turning it off in 2001 or even earlier. My JA2 'playlists' reflected development( regression?) of my 'taste in music'. With JA2 I got from some pop rock( yes, I actually had Muse or Linkin Park in the background while playing JA2, I was 12) to some doom/goth/whatever metal( Tiamat mostly, Mount Merylin or Gaia on repeat) and then to post-industrial electonic or synthpop stuff( I can post a link to my last.fm account but I probably shouldn't).

Rakysh
22-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Also, the medieval fantasy music charts has given us such classics as Tonight's Gonna Be (A Chewed Knight).

LongBlade
22-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Also, the medieval fantasy music charts has given us such classics as Tonight's Gonna Be (A Chewed Knight).

<groan>

But I must confess, I enjoy perverting the lyrics to songs I find obnoxious. So I think I know where you're coming from.

Nalano
22-01-2012, 11:55 PM
No shit, Sherlock. I don't even go into bars and I could tell you that. My point is that taverns in games tend to get some of the most beautiful pieces of music.

I'm wondering why you insisted on pointing out - twice, now - that you don't go to bars.

LongBlade
23-01-2012, 12:09 AM
I'm wondering why you insisted on pointing out - twice, now - that you don't go to bars.

Because drinking at home is cheaper?

Gusington
23-01-2012, 12:12 AM
I like the music in Skyrim. And turtles. See my sig line.

Nalano
23-01-2012, 12:14 AM
Because drinking at home is cheaper?

The original quote was, basically, "I like RPG tavern music (and I don't even drink)"

My original reply was, basically, "why does not drinking matter? They don't play tavern music in real-life taverns."

somini
23-01-2012, 12:21 AM
In game music for me. The key point being that it's background music. I'm not sitting there listening to music, I'm playing a game. I'd rather have music composed to complement the game rather than my own music which would distract. Exceptions being multiplayer or high score-type games that aren't designed for immersion.
THIS. When I want to listen to music I don't play games. I think that if you get bored playing Fallout or Skyrim for 100 hours, then don't play for 100 hours, just do the main questline, clearly doing everything in those games is not for you.

DiamondDog
23-01-2012, 12:27 AM
I always bung 4'33" on repeat when I'm gaming.

Angel Dust
23-01-2012, 12:53 AM
I'm also currently playing Fallout 3 which is like 75% just wandering through vast expanses killing mutants/raiders over and over. Are there seriously people who enjoy that without having something to listen to?
I dunno, man, sounds to me like you should play something else. I also found Fallout 3 to be a mostly dull, repetitive experience so I stopped playing it after 20 hours. To continue to play a game, even with a new 'soundtrack', that you find to be so unengaging that you seriously question how anyone could possibly enjoy it, seems like utter madness and a complete waste of time. I guess you must really, really love that other 25% then, huh?

Anyway, in-game music for me too but if it is obnoxiously awful (recent example: RAGE) or extremely repetitive, I'll just turn it off.

Flint
23-01-2012, 01:17 AM
Take Fallout 2, for example. I just played through it and it took 60 hours. There are literally like only a dozen different music tracks for that game, each matched to the different areas. They repeat constantly. Moreover, some of the sections of the game are quite tough if you play on hard (as I did). I had to repeat a few fights over and over until I got them right. I don't see how anyone could do that unless they had something to listen to. I actually think listening to it with the in game music is more immersion breaking just because it's so repetitive and dull.
I'd actually count the Fallout/Fallout 2 soundtrack as one of those that are so good I gladly listen to them outside the game...

DarioSamo
23-01-2012, 01:29 AM
I'd actually count the Fallout/Fallout 2 soundtrack as one of those that are so good I gladly listen to them outside the game...
OP is just beyond anyone's comprehensions anyway.

I'm pretty much on the same boat(multiplayer grinding games/MMOs-custom music, anything else-in game music). My only exception for multiplayer is Unreal Tournament. The music tracks are fixed to each stage, and they're just so good I never get bored of listening to them. Anyone who played the game a lot should auto-play the stage music on his head just from looking at some screens:
http://www.quantumrarity.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/FacingWorlds.jpg

http://www.quantumrarity.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/deck16_1.jpg

Revisor
23-01-2012, 01:34 AM
The only one time I listened to something else when in-game was the old Arena and Daggerfall because we didn't have a sound card.
It turns out it goes pretty well with Paradise Lost. :)

Otherwise only in-game music for me. I want to experience the game as it's meant to be.
I don't mean it personally but by turning off music in Fallout 2 you are something of a heathen to me. :)

Also in multiplayer shooters I usually turn off or down any music as well as player chatter. I play with headphones on and sounds help me orient myself and react faster, to the extent a few players have accused me of cheating / wall hacking when in fact I could hear them and locate them by their sounds.

DaftPunk
23-01-2012, 01:56 AM
Trance,80's or Classic music.

Juan Carlo
23-01-2012, 02:09 AM
OP is just beyond anyone's comprehensions anyway.

Evolved beyond your comprehension, perhaps. ;-)

At any rate, I don't think I could ever change at this point. Mainly because one of the major reasons why I play video games at all is just as an excuse to listen to music. And it's really always been that way for me--way back, even, in the days when I was playing sonic on the genesis as an 11 year old.

Otherwise, when do people actually have time to listen to music?

I don't think most people sort of just sit down and listen to music. I only usually do it at two different times: when I drive (which isn't all that often) and when I play video games.

I like music too much for me to give it up and to me video games and custom music go together too well.

And again, I don't think I'm missing much.

To name another recent example: I played through "Divinity 2" this summer while primarily listening to Wagner's "Tristan und Isolde" for the first time, getting familiar with the opera over many hours of gameplay. It was awesome and fit the game perfectly. I somehow doubt that the in game music in "Divinity 2" is in any way better or more rewarding than Wagner, and I have no doubt that my experience of the game was way better with my own music than had I used the game's.

And honestly, when else am I going to have time to sit down and learn Wagner note by note? For me it was the best of both worlds: playing an entertaining game, all while familiarizing myself with an awesome piece of music I've always wanted to get to know (and I actually do this with Opera alot, just because many Operas are especially "thorny" and it takes a while for them to grow on you--so they make perfect video game music just because you can sort of get acclimated and familiar with them over many game play hours. Then, when they finally open up to you, it's brilliant. Nothing is better, really. I'd highly recommend trying it).

Jiiiiim
23-01-2012, 02:14 AM
Assuming I don't have to listen to any speech in-game and I know what I'm doing, and assuming the game's music is a bit rubbish, I'll put on spotify and a randomize button instead. Paradox games are particularly prone to this as they have astonishingly bad soundtracks most of the time. I'll just do a quick rendition of the Hearts of Iron 2 one, shall I?

BLART BLART BLAAAAART BLART
Anyway because of this, Japan's invasion of China, to me, sounds like This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR67muvgqnc). Which can't be a great association to make. This applies with different songs to Civ 4, Mount and Blade, Blood Bowl, Football Manager, games that I've played to absolute death but would appreciate a bit of dramatic underpinning.

In multiplayer you generally need to be able to hear your teammates so it would be just rude to listen during that. An exception was occasionally made of Left4Dead when I was testing the theory that we'd do much better to music. Hawaii 5-0 is excellent for getting to the elevator in No Mercy stage 4, and Sing Sing Sing is superb music for being a tank to. Otherwise, results were inconclusive.

Wizardry
23-01-2012, 02:14 AM
The only one time I listened to something else when in-game was the old Arena and Daggerfall because we didn't have a sound card.
I feel sorry for you because Daggerfall has one of the best soundtracks out there.

Juan Carlo
23-01-2012, 02:16 AM

Really?

The period songs are awesome, but they only play in the opening credits, really. The in game music, while OK for a video game, really isn't anything great.

MAybe you just listen to way too much video game music. ;-)

DigitalSignalX
23-01-2012, 02:29 AM
It's a mixed bag. Sometimes the game music can be very fun and rewarding to listen to, even after some hours while other times it will be droll and repetitive, forcing me to mute it and bring my own music or podcast in play.

Most MMO's tend toward the latter, and even some of the better music (Aion and LOTRO for example) will simply get repetitive due to the many dozens or even hundreds of hours of hearing it.

Streaming NPR and podcasts like Idlethumbs (http://www.idlethumbs.net/archive/) are great, as well as piano music like Ludovico Einaudi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8MzHqkNBwo) or George Winston (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iStrSEG3KQQ). Action games get strong music like Bear McCreary (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSYPYq9D_No) and Richard Gibbs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cqXrIhkXNU). My first you-tube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxczZ-dl47I) featured music by Thomas Newman, another favorite composer.

squirrel
23-01-2012, 02:35 AM
Bach the Best, or Jazz.

I dont know why pop music those days are becoming intolerable noise to me, a sign of aging? Anyway, under the enemy fire those noise could drive me crazy. Listening to Bach makes people thinking clearly. Actually you can try that while doing maths, too. And Jazz is more of a releasing thingy.

fiddlesticks
23-01-2012, 02:45 AM
The in game music, while OK for a video game, really isn't anything great.
The music playing in New Reno (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It4GRG7JdFI) is certainly no 1812 overture, but to me it perfectly sets the mood of the city and contributes a lot to the perceived atmosphere. Which is exactly what I expect from a video game soundtrack.

somini
23-01-2012, 03:57 AM
The music playing in New Reno (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It4GRG7JdFI) is certainly no 1812 overture, but to me it perfectly sets the mood of the city and contributes a lot to the perceived atmosphere. Which is exactly what I expect from a video game soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zum1NXhsAxk
This music in particular I thinks it's absolutely brilliant. My favourite by a large margin.

As to when to listen to music I just leave one word here:commutes.

Voon
23-01-2012, 04:28 AM
I just couldn't do it in Mirror's Edge.

Here's why

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3Nc2jfKuMI

If I just can't stand the music or need to set in the mood, I'll listen to my songs in my iPod. Rock of Mages by Bang Camaro is one of them

Fumarole
23-01-2012, 04:51 AM
I'd actually count the Fallout/Fallout 2 soundtrack as one of those that are so good I gladly listen to them outside the game...I do the same, especially when driving long distances or in heavy traffic. It has a soothing effect on me.

mickygor
23-01-2012, 05:05 AM
There's no way I'd listen to my own music. I'd either listen to in game music, or no music. Games aren't just visual, I find audio cues as important if not more important than visual ones. I can't afford to drown them out or draw my attention away from them.

Juan Carlo
23-01-2012, 05:13 AM
There's no way I'd listen to my own music. I'd either listen to in game music, or no music. Games aren't just visual, I find audio cues as important if not more important than visual ones. I can't afford to drown them out or draw my attention away from them.

I usually just turn subtitles on for dialog, turn in game music off, then leave in game sound effects at a normal volume. You can still hear everything important that you need to hear over the music provided you don't have it up too loud.

Audio is very important, though. Especially if you play something like L4D2, where you need to listen for individual special infected attacks or for teammates in distress, but like I said, I've never had any trouble hearing the cues.

Snargelfargen
23-01-2012, 05:56 AM
I'm surprised this is such a polarising topic. Some games absolutely need the original music, especially if they have a narrative focus. More sandbox-oriented games really benefit from a new soundtrack after a while.

Once or twice a week I settle down for a long gaming session with a custom soundtrack and 3 or 4 beers. This summer it was Brink, and more recently, Terraria. It's a great way to blow off steam. I suppose I could have used positional audio in Brink, but I was generally sprinting around like a lunatic anyways.

To answer the original question, for Brink I listened to a mix of french house, gangster rap and wanky guitar music (Buckethead, Joe Satriani, etc..).
Terraria's playlist seems to be mostly older british doom metal, synthpop and music from other game soundtracks. I don't really know why, but that's what it is.

I probably listen to music more than I game, so it can vary quite a bit.

Spider Jerusalem
23-01-2012, 07:37 AM
at the moment, i listen to a lot of the weeknd and frank ocean when i'm playing lol.

The Innocent
23-01-2012, 08:58 AM
Since Saint's Row 3 takes place in the same universe as Red Faction, this was always the first track on the playlist. It was glorious.

SR3 had such a good selection of music that I didn't feel much need to replace it though.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcUBI-YVRY8" target="_blank">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcUBI-YVRY8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcUBI-YVRY8)

coldvvvave
23-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Really?

The period songs are awesome, but they only play in the opening credits, really. The in game music, while OK for a video game, really isn't anything great.

MAybe you just listen to way too much video game music. ;-)
Some people actually do like dark ambient music( or far weirder things) in real life.

Flint
23-01-2012, 09:58 AM
On the commute, while spending time online, when doing various stuff around the house and then all the precious times when there's nothing on the to-do list and I can simply focus on a great album and nothing else. Music fills most of my life whenever I'm not gaming, it's not that particularly hard to find time for it :).

siegarettes
23-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Depends on the game. If the soundtrack is pretty good, like Super Meat Boy's or VVVVV's I can listen to that forever. Some games just demand music though. Racing games, SHMUPs, anything with intense concentration.

Recently I've been listening to some Underworld, Tim Hecker, and Grinning Cat by Susumu Yokota.

DarioSamo
23-01-2012, 02:25 PM

And it's really always been that way for me--way back, even, in the days when I was playing sonic on the genesis as an 11 year old.

At this point I'm just convinced you're a criminal against gaming. That doesn't make me think of you less of a person tho. The music in Sonic games was probably one of the many reasons to replay it!

Coding/Drawing for me. If your job/hobby is computer-related, you got plenty of chances to listen to music IMO. I would understand if your job just doesn't allow it tho.

deano2099
23-01-2012, 02:47 PM

At any rate, I don't think I could ever change at this point. Mainly because one of the major reasons why I play video games at all is just as an excuse to listen to music. And it's really always been that way for me--way back, even, in the days when I was playing sonic on the genesis as an 11 year old.

Oh that's interesting. I kinda figured since you listen to music while gaming you'd listen to it while doing most things? Reading, watching a film, having a conversation etc? It's odd that it's just limited to gaming.

I'm on the side that, if I want to get immersed in a game or narrative, I can't put other music on. Especially not something new - I can't pay attention to a lyric and read something at the same time.

That said, I do listen to podcasts or new albums while grinding in WoW or on a JRPG. But. I don't consider that time spent gaming. I consider the primary focus of that activity listening to the music or the podcast. The game is just there to give me something to do with my hands and make sure I don't get distracted by Twitter, the internet or a fly.

If I'm actually playing a game I'll be entirely engaged in it, unless it's rubbish and I won't bother.

Then there's the John Walker approach which utterly baffles me but seems relevant: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/04/06/waffle-my-distracted-gaming-mind/

mickygor
23-01-2012, 05:26 PM
I usually just turn subtitles on for dialog, turn in game music off, then leave in game sound effects at a normal volume. You can still hear everything important that you need to hear over the music provided you don't have it up too loud.

Audio is very important, though. Especially if you play something like L4D2, where you need to listen for individual special infected attacks or for teammates in distress, but like I said, I've never had any trouble hearing the cues.

My hearing's not great, I can't isolate sounds. I can't even have a conversation in a car it's that bad. Anything not meant to be there will stop me hearing what I need to hear.

Lukasz
23-01-2012, 08:27 PM
It is fun to listen to Jesse Cox and TB play Terraria when you are playing Terraria yourself. Really makes those dull moments of mining much more fun.

ReverendMoosey
23-01-2012, 11:32 PM
I listen religiously to two podcasts, The Bugle (which is hilarious political satire, mixed with dick jokes) and the PC Gamer (UK) one.
For game-playing music, I have my Manlist.
http://open.spotify.com/user/deepsplash/playlist/0zkAWFNiP1edppvlO3UBnP

Memph
24-01-2012, 12:40 AM
WoW is the only game i've turned the music off for. I love my game music usually and agree with many here a game's not the same without it's tunes. WoW's got trés old though and i've never been a fan of that choirs loudly chanting incomprehensible latin stuff and the screeching strings of Howling Fjords almost made my ears spout blood. Zoning out to grind AB got me heavily addicted to a Digitally Imported Psy/Ambient shoutcast though, some really deep, but also gentle, almost mesmorising tunes went hand in hand with the zombie-like state MMO grinding can get you into.
MP i absolutely need my sound effects and headphones. Most of my situational awareness in L4D is from sound alone.

Caleb367
24-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Ok, man, you were speaking about game music? Get the BRO-EST MOMENT IN GAMING:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9BoIEY4xA4

Capt. Eduardo del Mango
24-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Aha!

Me too. Am I the first one after OP in the thread?

It's a complete default reaction for me - install game, change resolution, mute music, change mouse sensitivity... I mean, I'll play appropriate music that enhances the game - I didn't play through the Stalker games listening to Belle and Sebastian - and a fair amount of the games I play are sim/management/blah where the soundtrack hasn't received quite so much attention but, yeah, I'll listen to my own music in preference to that in-game some 95% of the time. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head where I haven't done this are Another World and Zeno Clash.

TailSwallower
25-01-2012, 12:05 AM
The only game whose music I've tweaked lately is New Vegas, and that's because there just aren't enough tracks in the game. Installing a mod that adds heaps more thematically-appropriate songs was`great, but I still hate it when one of those original songs that I've heard a hundred times already comes on.

Otherwise I trust that the dev has a better idea of what music suits the game than I do. And I've gotta say that if you're muting the music on indie games you're probably missing out big-time - they all seem to have fantastic soundtracks for whatever reason (honourable mention goes to the sublime Frozen Synapse ST, which I even listen to outside of the game).

Fumarole
25-01-2012, 02:42 AM
Audio is very important, though. Especially if you play something like L4D2, where you need to listen for individual special infected attacks or for teammates in distress, but like I said, I've never had any trouble hearing the cues.So you turn the music off in L4D2? The music in this game is one of the audio cues, for events like hordes. I played with a friend who turned the music off and thus never reacted in time when hordes would rush us. He often ended up isolated because of this. I find L4D to be a game where it is absolutely essential to keep the music on.

For what it is worth, I always disable subtitles when I can, even when the game has foreign language options. One of the Splinter Cell games comes to mind as an awkward result of this. I forget exactly which game it was, but Fisher was eavesdropping on some baddies who basically let slip about The Bomb (or whatever it was, can't remember) while speaking Japanese to each other. Fisher and his handler immediately reacted to the situation with concern but since I don't speak Japanese I had to infer what was happening from context alone.

Juan Carlo
25-01-2012, 03:35 AM
So you turn the music off in L4D2? The music in this game is one of the audio cues, for events like hordes. I played with a friend who turned the music off and thus never reacted in time when hordes would rush us. He often ended up isolated because of this. I find L4D to be a game where it is absolutely essential to keep the music on.

...or you could just listen for the horde audio ques (hordes actually have their own sound effects unique from just individual zombies which will play just before they appear--there's always one loud roar at the start then a torrent of background roars that plays constantly until they subside).

I have 600 hours in L4D2 all played with the music off. I don't need music cues to be awesome. :D

Although, I will say that I rather like the L4D2 horde music--it's minimalist and gets your adrenaline pumping just right.

c-Row
25-01-2012, 10:10 AM
It's beyond my comprehension how someone wouldn't want to play games like Blade Runner, Red Dead Redemption or Deus Ex: Human Revolution without the original soundtrack.

One thing I would like to see returning is the option to turn certain songs off for the entire game while retaining all the others. Total Annihilation even allowed you to assign certain tracks to specific gameplay segments. This works better with more bite-sized games with shorter levels or individual maps rather than story-driven games, though.

State
25-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Really?

There's not a single person that does that?

I do. I'm actually worse. I have a vast library of dark ambient, game music and film soundtracks and I have a specifically tailored winamp playlist for almost every game I have installed - singleplayer and multi. There are some game types where I don't turn off the music - mostly games with a strong narrative and lots of cutscenes - but often when I get a new game, I'm looking forward to compiling a playlist for it.

In my opinion, most game music is ok, but not great. And even great music gets repetitive after 20+ hours. My playlists are often 20-40 hours long (I have a 90+ hour playlist for EVE) and I mostly use tracks that don't scream for attention all the time.

squareking
25-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Some people actually do like dark ambient music( or far weirder things) in real life.

:wavehello:

I'm one of the few yahoos who sticks with the in-game music; someone put time, thought and effort into the music and effects, generally, and I want to enjoy that. I think the only time I put on my own soundtrack was when playing one of the Burnouts on ye olde Xboxe. Putting on a podcast or something over the old (or new) Fallouts, for example, is blasphemy in my eyes (ears). I really enjoy games with thick atmosphere and little to no music, like Amnesia and the Hawken previews. Otherwise, I am either playing guitar/making noise or listening to music constantly.

Gnoupi
25-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Hm. Doing the opposite actually. I increase the volume of in-game music and actually take this music with me for other occasions.

Programming to SMB's or VVVVVV's soundtrack is actually very pleasant.
For trips (train, plane), Guild Wars' soundtrack is perfect to just fall asleep, or watch the window and feel mesmerized (well, assuming you don't go through a factory complex).
Relaxing? X3:TC's soundtrack

But then again the only music I listen to besides that comes from movie soundtracks. Or from trailers (see Two steps from Hell).
So I guess that explains why I actually enjoy background game music.

Dr.Honeyslut
25-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Doom mostly. And sometimes a little death.

Wizardry
25-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Doom mostly. And sometimes a little death.
Cheer up!

10char