PDA

View Full Version : Self-imposed rules in gaming

Caleb367
22-01-2012, 10:39 PM
(Power gamers need not apply)

So, we all know what the game rules are, what's the best build-list, where to put points into for maximum efficiency, and so on. What about those rules you impose on yourself when gaming, even if it means letting go an advantage?
I'll elaborate:
When playing an RTS and something goes wrong, I always make a point of pulling out as many troopers alive as I can. Even if it means risking a 1000$ chopper to save three 100$ soldiers. Notable exceptions however are robot troopers (as in Supreme Commander) hive-mind (Starcraft, Tyranids) or ravenous crazed psychopaths (BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!).

Free roaming games, like GTA, Saints Row or Prototype, I like to keep civilian bodycount to a minimum. If I have to flatten three pedestrians to escape that police car, I crash the car and try to get away on foot - or stealing another. Prototype's even worse: I usually flee from cops or marines instead of attacking them, but gimme a Blackwatch platoon and Mercer'll tear into them like a combine harvester.

RPGs, I always end up being a damn goody two shoes. Not sure why, I've often started a game thinking "this time I'll roleplay the sickest muthafucka in the multiverse" and always end up helping elderly women cross the street in a matter of seconds. 'side that, I pick up a role and stick to it to the bitter end; for example, in a recent Skyrim playthrough, I created an high elf mage who despised the Thalmor. And attacked any Thalmor on sight as soon as he was sure enough he wasn't gonna get flattened. He kept a rather badass shelf in the Whiterun home covered with the helmets of slain Thalmors.

LongBlade
22-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Great topic.

I also typically play a good guy. In Skyrim I found it really difficult to get into the thieves guild because the tasks were downright distasteful.

I also wasn't comfortable looting burial urns in the game - it just didn't seem right. Eventually I got past that - after the 10,000 one it finally dawned on me that the game didn't have some weird mechanic which imposed a penalty and that, on the contrary, I was *supposed* to get more gold that way. Seems like the wrong message from the devs, but there ya go.

son_of_monfort
22-01-2012, 10:44 PM
I do the same thing with RPGs. I'll even create the most horrid looking guy and have plans to dominate the planet... but when the first "I'm a huge Ass" conversation option appears, I just can't bring myself to take it. I literally had to force click the evil options playing Sith in Star Wars: The Old Republic. Otherwise, my Inquisitor would be saying things like "sure, I would love to go flower picking with you!"

I'm usually the same way with GTA, but Saints Row: The Third has changed that for me. It is really impossible to not gun or run down bystanders in that one, so I just do it and think that the city is a cesspool anyway.

I can't get excited about "dudes on a map" in RTS, though. Unless they are named heroes, like in Tactics Ogre or games like that.

Similar
22-01-2012, 10:57 PM
Same here with the RPG thing. I think the only game I managed to be evil in was Fable. I never decide to be good, it just sort of happens.

In RTS games I always try to keep losses as low as possible, which is something of a problem with factions that mainly use rushes. Except possibly for the chaos faction in Dawn of War; I don't seem to be able to care so much about them (it was a while since I last played it, though).

Other than that, I seem to be rather poor at sticking to rules. I've tried a number of times to emulate Sinister Agent and others' 'common survivor' characters in RPGs, but I always end up doing something out of character.

Unaco
22-01-2012, 11:10 PM
I'm the same with RPGs... Always have been. In fact, I tend to have a character that I run through pretty much every RPG. He's not Universally good, but tends not to murder people, indulge in Necromancy, or steal from those who can't afford to lose stuff. He's usually an anti-Mage Sword and Shield melee fighter (a holdover from my first great run-through of BG2 as a Wizard Slayer), with a passionate distaste for the Undead and Magic users.

On LongBlade's comments about Burial Urns: I used to play Morrowind with a mod that extensively revamped all of the Ancestral Tombs/Crypts on the Island, along with their inhabitants... extra levels to them, better progression through them, redone enemy lists and redone loot lists. It also introduced a mechanic whereby, the more looting and desecration you performed, the more restless the spirits would become, the more they would haunt you, having Shades follow you around, strange noises, being woken in the night as undead warriors coalesce around you from the dust swirling about the floor. You had to have your trespasses absolved at a Temple to stop it, or tread very carefully when in certain Dungeons. Maybe get something similar in Skyrim.

Wizardry
22-01-2012, 11:38 PM
I have one rule and that is to make the game as fun as possible. If that means soloing Baldur's Gate 2 then so be it. If it means limiting resting until absolutely necessary then so be it. Most game mechanics can utterly break a game if abused, and if I don't have as much fun playing a broken game then I just won't break it.

TailSwallower
22-01-2012, 11:44 PM
The only example I can think of where I imposed limitations on myself deliberately was playing the browser-based MMORPG Nexus War back in the day. I founded and helped run a Faction that was Role-Playing a gang of bad-ass, pipe-hittin' Dapper Gentlemen (the term we used instead of the N-word, for obvious reasons... plus it sounds so classy), and at the very start I knew I wanted the faction to be heavy on the RP and low on the drama.

What this meant in terms of imposing limitations was that it was a rule of coming on raids that you HAD to RP - chat, emote, whatever. When other Factions would silently raid us to save as many action points as possible, we'd take our revenge while trash talking and we even had one member who RPed a rapper and wrote actual raps for our raids. The most efficient way to raid? Hell no, but it was the most fun way.

We liked our raids more because we had fun talking shit, and when someone woke up dead at our hands, at least they had an interesting log to read through - everybody wins. We actually had people come into our chatroom after getting killed, not to bitch at us but to talk about how great the raid was, how much they loved the RPing and general chilling.

Bison
22-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Well I try and limit myself to only one bag of chips per gaming session. I also don't allow myself to look at walkthough guides for RPGs. I like the surprise of exploring the game on my own.

Jiiiiim
22-01-2012, 11:58 PM
The only example I can think of where I imposed limitations on myself deliberately was playing the browser-based MMORPG Nexus War back in the day. I founded and helped run a Faction that was Role-Playing a gang of bad-ass, pipe-hittin' Dapper Gentlemen (the term we used instead of the N-word, for obvious reasons... plus it sounds so classy), and at the very start I knew I wanted the faction to be heavy on the RP and low on the drama.

Yeah I remember the EOG fondly too, though I wasn't in them. It was that sort of raid that inspired me to join the DND and I always loved their raids, role-playing tea-obsessed demons. That game was much better when the combat was secondary

As for single-player games, I have a tendency to play RPGs with some arbitrary rule that makes life difficult for myself. I did Dragon Age without any healing, persuasion or cone of cold, and trying to kill as many of my own party as possible after hearing those were all quite useful. I did Bioshock without the wrench or using respawn chambers, after hearing they tipped the balance a little. I did Alpha Protocol just with the fists. And put in on hard because what was the point of limiting yourself in just one way.

Was frustrating at times but it made me experiment a lot in-game, which is always fun.

mickygor
23-01-2012, 12:01 AM
I know it's not PC, but when I play pokemon, I have to level each of my pokemon (excluding those in boxes) 5 levels before going to the next route/cave/town/etc... I occasionally play nuzlocke, also.

In LA Noire, I obey the law.

Can't think of any others, tbh. I don't play that many games :S

Berzee
23-01-2012, 12:25 AM
I think I have a lot of these, but I can't quite remember them all; let me try to remember a good one...

Multiplayer FPS's -- I will always use the underdog or "utility" style weapons (shield gun in Unreal, knives, snarks in Half-Life Deathmatch, smoke grenades, flashbangs)...sometimes to throw people off guard and get more kills, but usually because I get less kills but they are far more satisfying and hilarious.

Single-player FPS's -- if they're easy enough, I usually find myself using the pistol always. I did this in DX:HR when I needed to shoot someone, and not because I was trying to conserve ammo on the big guns...I just like using only pistols if it's possible. Also, pistol whipping.

In any game that has companions who can talk to you (Kotor, Jade Empire, Planescape, Final Fantasy, many others) I will almost always choose my party based on who I want to hear dialogue from, even if it means I am missing out on the strongest possible party. I live in fear of missing a clever one-liner by my favorite companion because I decided to leave them in the fortress in favor of someone tougher.

If I think of any that are fascinating, I will share them. =P

pakoito
23-01-2012, 12:38 AM
No FAQs unless I want the game to be ruined. As soon as I know my way out of one single situation I know I can use the FAQ for everything else, and I'm not playing *my* game so it spoils most of the fun.

No elf characters (laaaame), avoid archery as much as possible (cheeeeap).

LongBlade
23-01-2012, 12:50 AM
Well I try and limit myself to only one bag of chips per gaming session.

OK, that is hard core.

I also don't allow myself to look at walkthough guides for RPGs. I like the surprise of exploring the game on my own.

Me too. But several times I've found myself a bit flummoxed as to how to get through a quest in Skyrim, and I'll confess to having a few peeks on various wikis devoted to it when I got stuck.

PeopleLikeFrank
23-01-2012, 12:56 AM
I almost always had trouble playing evil characters in RPGs. I'd play through once in good mode, then intend another playthrough as evil, but the first time I had to say something nasty to an old widow, I wouldn't be able to continue.

Skyrim is probably the first time I wholeheartedly got into playing an evil character, and I think the Thieves and Brotherhood helped a lot. I was super uncomfortable starting off with the Thieves, but then I sort of appreciated that they were actually, well, evil for once. You weren't Robin Hood - you were a gang of thugs out for your own enrichment. The DB wasn't murdering bad people for doing bad things, you were fulfilling contracts. By the end of that character's playthrough, I was a thieving, murdering, corpse-eating, horrible thing, and I loved it. (Ironically, given previous discussion here, I wasn't murdering everything that moved - preferred sneaking by as much as possible.) I do think there should have been more consequence for that though. Not people magically hating me (because I was also a liar), but some 'wrath of the gods' type deal, like in earlier Elder Scrolls games where you couldn't get blessings anymore, or the nifty desecrated tombs thing that Unaco mentioned.

Other than that, yeah, I always have rules for myself. In Deus Ex, I had to hide every body, even if it was in a spot nobody was likely to patrol through. I made a point of closing vent covers and doors behind me.

I try not to fast travel much in Skyrim. I'll take the carts, but I find most a lot of enjoyment comes from wandering the landscape, so fast-travel makes the whole thing boring pretty quickly.

And, well, try to have some idea who the character is and play accordingly. Seems to obvious to even mention, but given all the power gamers and 'everybody should be able to do everything' game design, a little necessary.

Heliocentric
23-01-2012, 12:58 AM
If I can murder someone, and then drop the corpse on another person fatal effects? I will do it, even if it means failing and reloading.

Same with nudging people off edges.

Revisor
23-01-2012, 01:43 AM
Well, not really a "rule" but I always play as an anarchist whenever possible. I nudge the game characters to make decision for themselves, fight against whoever holds power and generally wreak havoc against authority.

With that said I'm always goody two-shoes to the poor and powerless. Well apart from stealing everything that's not nailed down and has value. That's justified by my good cause.

TailSwallower
23-01-2012, 02:10 AM
That game was much better when the combat was secondary

Tip of the hat to a fellow Nexus Warrior, who also speaks much truth. (I was Jack Destruct/Deck in those parts.)

squirrel
23-01-2012, 02:17 AM
Self-imposed rules are very prevailing in arcade games here. To appeal to those who "believe" the games are not fair as set by developers they impose on their own. For instance, where playing Gundam VS you "are not allowed" to keep distance with your opponent. Even if you do you cannot shoot from long distance.

I dont know why people would comply. I rather simply quit playing in those arcade centers. Fortunately there are a few arcade centers which are generally free of those disturbing players.

DigitalSignalX
23-01-2012, 02:50 AM

In LA Noire, I obey the law.

This ^ ^ first game with driving I can think of where I made a habit of stopping at lights and generally following traffic laws. Not that you get punished for it (unless you run people over and damage property) but because it just seems so inappropriate to blazing down Alameda avenue in a 56 convertible Caddy.

Skyrim and Oblivion: no fast traveling except for the new carriage guy. Sure it stretched the games out some artificially, but man, it made it so much more immersive when you deliberately plan quests and destinations based on travel time to get there. I also made a point to sleep every 24 hours or less even though it's not necessary, and eat / drink stuff too. I'm looking forward to a Fallout type "basic needs" mod for Skyrim once the SDK hits the scene. I'd also like to see sword sharpening & armor degradation :)

In Anno and Settlers type games, I only crush opposing factions who attack first, otherwise I go out of my way to work for peaceful co-existence.

ado
23-01-2012, 03:22 AM
I'm usually a goody two shoes in RPGs as well, and avoid combat at all costs if possible, love talking my butt out of a problem. But apart from that my gameplay is very unrestrained in other genres.

dsi1
23-01-2012, 05:56 AM
In RTS games I generally try to be as... efficient with my units as possible, no spam. Except in Star Ruler and Supreme Commander, where spam isn't even a thing. In fact I normally build carrier fleets (with some caps/support as well ofc) in Star Ruler.

In CoH I normally had a city of mortar/artillery bases supporting a handful of infantry/tanks for instance.

sabrage
23-01-2012, 05:59 AM
I won't start a story-based or mechanically similar sequel without playing the original(s) first. So, I have no problem playing Fallout 3, but with something like Hitman I like to see where it's come from. If I were to jump in with Blood Money, I feel like it would permanently ruin the previous games in the series.

Snargelfargen
23-01-2012, 06:21 AM
Unreal Tournament classic - I must not use the starting pistol. I can only telefrag until I have earned myself a better gun. (In UT multiplayer you would normally start with a pistol, a melee thingy and a gun that lobbed disks that you could teleport to. If you timed it right you could teleport into somebody and gib them.)

Baldur's Gate series - Sleeping after every battle is absurd. I never rest until all of my spells are used or I get to a tavern. In dungeons I only rest if I am absolutely positive that I can't win a fight, despite several reloads.

Any GTA game - I. Must. Drive. Perfectly. while looking good. The missions are only an excuse for me to go from point a to point b, while looking as awesome as possible, usually by dodging between traffic, power-sliding and taking shortcuts. I don't really get what people find so fun about the shoot-outs and cop car chases, but they make for nice breaks in between the driving parts.

Caleb367
23-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Any GTA game - I. Must. Drive. Perfectly. while looking good. The missions are only an excuse for me to go from point a to point b, while looking as awesome as possible, usually by dodging between traffic, power-sliding and taking shortcuts. I don't really get what people find so fun about the shoot-outs and cop car chases, but they make for nice breaks in between the driving parts.

Heck, Saints Row 3 does that to me. I mean, even on GTA's I drive pretty safe, 'cept when three hundreds mobsters decide to shoot me with rocket launchers. I fire up SR3, I turn into a goddamn maniac. I don't think I spent more than half a km NOT on the incoming lane.

Speaking of that, I have another unwritten rule: never take any shit from passers-by.
You know that crazed dude yelling in front of Niko's house in GTA IV? Every single time I get out, I punch him in the face. That's it, a single punch in the nose to get him running and shutting up.
SR3, you may have heard that woman yelling you nearly dirtied her shoes while pulling stunts with your car. I usually stop, get out of the car, grab her and throw her in the river.
Oh, and those people waving signs dissing the Saints? Let's just say they're not covered by my "no harm to civvies" rule. Sometimes I get a group of people waving signs on street corners saying that Shaundi is a whore while I'm driving a battle tank or an attack chopper. Cue the evilest grin ever appearing on my face.
Assassins Creed 2? Those random dudes complaining about you when you take a walk around town? Punch in the face, again. Oh, and always throw some money when some random dumbass manages to drop his box by walking into you.

FunnyB
23-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Oh, and those people waving signs dissing the Saints? Let's just say they're not covered by my "no harm to civvies" rule. Sometimes I get a group of people waving signs on street corners saying that Shaundi is a whore while I'm driving a battle tank or an attack chopper. Cue the evilest grin ever appearing on my face.

I met this guy for the first time last night.

Needless to say, the second after that screenshot was taken, he took an assault rifle blast to the face. Nobody messes with the Saints! :D

DigitalSignalX
24-01-2012, 12:06 AM
I always made a point of shooting their signs. Accomplishes the same thing without the wanted level. Course, sometimes I shoot with a battle tank's main gun and there's some splash damage. Red Splashes.

hamster
24-01-2012, 04:10 PM
- No save scumming.
- No abusing the A.I. when they are helplessly stuck in the level's geometry
- Hoard up stockpiles worth of super powerful ammo for top end gun...but never use it.
- Load save if detected in Stealth game.
- Try REALLY REALLY hard not to look up FAQ (for strategy, builds etc. although clarification for mechanics is okay). I usually succeed...
- KEEP butting skulls against enemy that should whoop yo ass and try out ways to beat 'em while clearly unqualified for the task.
- Play as xyz class in a RPG BUT do everything i possibly can to steal things that people own and in pursuit of stealing raise stealth/lockpick and related skills. I once spent 15 mins trying to stealth my way at just the right angle to steal one of 'em propylon indices in Morrowind using a combination of chameleon amulet, stealth, + agility potions, levitation, telekinesis...
- NO GAMING the system in a way that is not internally consistent with the game world! That means no gaming the crime system in Elder Scrolls i.e. stealing and dropping stuff before being confronted by guards so they fail to confiscate the thing you've stolen. This applies to other games as well.

FuriKuri!
24-01-2012, 04:53 PM
1) Abuse incapable AI so much they could do a Panorama episode about it.
2) Overreact to even minor threats by using the biggest, most explodiest weapon available. It ain't a kill until they're just a decal.
3) Assemble mass graves in a public area (centre of town preferably) as a warning to the others. Failing that, desecrate corpses as much as possible, as violently as possible.
4) Stealth is for individuals of the triplemild weaksauce variety. Real men achieve 'stealth' by removing all observers as quickly and noisily as possible. After all, if they're running toward you, you don't have to hunt them down.
5) Non-lethal takedowns are only viable if you intend to leave a horde of unconscious (and preferably naked) men trapped together in a ventilation shaft OR the ladies' toilets.

And they say games aren't "art".

metalangel
24-01-2012, 04:56 PM
In GTA/SR/etc I always park legally, not obstructing traffic. This can include backing into parking spots.

LA Noire parked for you, maybe that's why I didn't like it?

sabrage
24-01-2012, 04:59 PM
I play every game as a stealth game, if at all possible. It pisses me the hell off that, once alerted, the guards in Metro 2033 always know where you are until you kill them.

Berzee
24-01-2012, 05:03 PM
- No save scumming.
- Load save if detected in Stealth game.

I do not understand.

Snargelfargen
24-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Violent acts

This reminds of my favourite mini-game in the Thief series: Serial killer mode. I have to knock every single human in a level unconscious and then dispose of their bodies in as many different (fatal) ways as possible.

Poor Lord Bafford would wake up to find roasted corpses in diverse fireplaces, 3 guards floating in his pool and all of his servants thrown off the balcony to their deaths. Good times.

This gets more challenging as the missions progress. Sometimes I would arrange macabre corpse piles in a central spot and leave just one fellow alive to tell the tale.

Tei
24-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Skyrim: Roleplaying a "religious men". As a religious men,..... Everytime I have meet a god (evil or good) I have followed his orders. *SPOOILERS* the worst time for me, was killing the emperor, It made me phisically sick in real life. It totally broken me, and my character for a hour, wandering to the north thinking about what I did. Save Shitis!.

R-F
24-01-2012, 07:49 PM
I have to BUILD things. It's a compulsion in me. I can't imagine a game being 100% percent complete if I haven't built everything. If there's a good option that makes a building and an evil option that gives the character one hundred billion gold, I will make the worthless building every time.

larsiusprime
24-01-2012, 07:53 PM
A popular self-imposed rule we've seen in Defender's Quest is "hero mode," where players limit themselves to NEVER hiring recruits and trying to beat the game only with the "hero" character of each class you get for free.

ActualBenny
24-01-2012, 09:13 PM
kinda the inverse to this but I only recently started allowing myself to steal in games. Skyrim has taught me that I can get pretty much everything I want by just going through everyones shops and pockets

TailSwallower
25-01-2012, 12:07 AM
I have to BUILD things. It's a compulsion in me. I can't imagine a game being 100% percent complete if I haven't built everything. If there's a good option that makes a building and an evil option that gives the character one hundred billion gold, I will make the worthless building every time.

What are some examples here? The "evil option" makes me think you're talking about RPGs, but I can't think of any where you actually build something bigger than a sword with pretty rocks in it.

Drake Sigar
25-01-2012, 12:58 AM
In Bethesda games I have my character eat three square meals a day and the appropriate amount of fluid to wash it down. Not all together mind you, I actually go to the trouble of keeping an eye on the time, finding a table if possible, and then eating my meal. Then I rest for an hour to simulate the process of eating said meal, and repeat the whole process a few in-game hours later. If I happen to be in town I might even stop by the toilet facilities and rest for another hour. It's a wonder I have any time left to actually play the game.

Also, I am insane. Wibble.

Heliocentric
25-01-2012, 02:08 AM
What are some examples here? The "evil option" makes me think you're talking about RPGs, but I can't think of any where you actually build something bigger than a sword with pretty rocks in it.
Dragon age: Awakenings
Baldur's gate 2
Fable (people do consider it an rpg)
Space Rangers 2

er?

Bhazor
25-01-2012, 02:14 AM
Bioshock
Highest difficulty
No vending machines (except for the crafting one when needed by the plot)
Only buy out or autohack security machines (no pipe-mania-ing aloud)
No Active Camo tonic

Doing it by these rules makes it a completely different game. You really have to rely on stealth and you really appreciate how unpredictable the AI can be and how little they cheat. Heartily recommended.

orcane
25-01-2012, 02:31 AM
I generally want to be the good/nice guy, or at least have a "greater good" in mind if I do "evil" things. Just Cause 2 may be about blowing up whatever you can but at some point I stopped and wondered what the hell I'm trying to achieve blowing up civilian infrastructure like water towers and gas stations just for 100% village completion.

An extension to this is, if given the option I need to fix things. The most fun I had in Red Faction: Guerrilla was with the Reconstructor gun modded into the SP campaign. Although I only got that out of frustration at first - there's a mission in the first zone after which a bridge I used all the time gets blown up. There are ramps on both sides so you can jump over the other road, but it's not the same and it really annoyed me because the whole blowing-the-bridge thing is completely pointless in the story.

So I got the reconstructor and fixed it, AI controlled cars keep trying around the bridge which looks silly, but at least my world looked whole again. I did the same thing with towns that got blown up by me being careless or during story missions. Unfortunately certain elements don't get rebuilt (like windows, or ladders and certain struts and columns if you broke them completely).

The best part was the bridge from the artillery zone that gets shelled during a mission. Afterwards I noticed that there was a gap of only about 5 meters while the rest was still intact - or so I thought. I started to reconstruct the bridge when it suddenly started creaking and then the whole segment I was rebuilding broke again and took half the rest of the bridge with it.

I worked my way up from the base pillars and spent at an hour or two rebuilding every strut and joint I could see, and everytime the bridge started creaking again I started to look around for one I may have missed, in panic.

Eventually I stopped playing the game when I unlocked the last zone. It got slightly repetitive and I didn't want to break all the pretty glass buildings I knew I wouldn't be able to rebuild completely :D

TailSwallower
25-01-2012, 10:53 AM
Dragon age: Awakenings
Baldur's gate 2
Fable (people do consider it an rpg)
Space Rangers 2

er?

I only remember buying existing houses in Fable, and I haven't played the others.

Heliocentric
25-01-2012, 05:28 PM
I only remember buying existing houses in Fable, and I haven't played the others.

I guess I was including renovation. Fable 3 probably has some kind of building what with you ending up as king.