PDA

View Full Version : sol: exodus

Spider Jerusalem
23-01-2012, 02:42 AM
just saw this pop up on steam, it's apparently due out on the 25th. looks spacey and combaty, in the vein of freespace, perhaps. anything know any more about it?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/200410/

Gusington
23-01-2012, 02:55 AM
I love Freespace...hope this is good.

LongBlade
23-01-2012, 03:07 AM
I could use a good space based game. That could be interesting.

Juan Carlo
23-01-2012, 04:06 AM
I don't see why no one has made a nice Freespace clone. It seems like there has been scores of space sims over the past decade, but they've all been over complicated trading sims.

I just want a game where I can jump straight into the dog fights, target individual sub systems, and blow up massive, screen filling, motherships. That can't be too much to ask.

It's interesting that it uses the Unreal engine, though. I wonder how that will work.

mickygor
23-01-2012, 04:09 AM
I wish I could be interested, but the sun dying in 500 years' time? Too hard to suspend belief. :/

Jarhead0331
23-01-2012, 04:34 AM
color me a skeptic.

Spider Jerusalem
23-01-2012, 06:36 AM
I don't see why no one has made a nice Freespace clone. It seems like there has been scores of space sims over the past decade, but they've all been over complicated trading sims.

I just want a game where I can jump straight into the dog fights, target individual sub systems, and blow up massive, screen filling, motherships. That can't be too much to ask.

It's interesting that it uses the Unreal engine, though. I wonder how that will work.
that pretty much sums up my feeling.

i want to shoot stuff. in space. this will hopefully allow me to do that. i guess it's going to be $9.99 and somewhat episodic.

magnolia_fan
23-01-2012, 02:59 PM

I've also wondered about this... gaming's all about soldiers in some desert killing some terrorists now...

riadsala
23-01-2012, 03:07 PM
I wish I could be interested, but the sun dying in 500 years' time? Too hard to suspend belief. :/

But, in general, you're ok with flying around in a spaceship, FTL light drives, lack of newtonian phyiscs, etc, aliens.... ?

Chevy
23-01-2012, 04:11 PM
But, in general, you're ok with flying around in a spaceship, FTL light drives, lack of newtonian phyiscs, etc, aliens.... ?

Everything in that sentence except the lack of Newtonian physics is believable, and far less stupid than the sun dying out in 500 years. Of course, they may have a solid in game explanation, but the knee-jerk reaction is that it is a ridiculous notion.

mickygor
23-01-2012, 04:20 PM

I only accept FTL because it's damn near impossible to find a hard science fiction space opera, but no I am not fine with a lack of newtonian physics. We already fly around in spaceships, and every year we increase the plausibility of the existence of aliens.

Spider Jerusalem
25-01-2012, 10:22 PM
game is out now. will be purchasing shortly. early impressions on the steam forum are all positive.

Smashbox
25-01-2012, 10:47 PM
I'd love to hear what you think after you give it a go.

Spider Jerusalem
26-01-2012, 12:09 AM
shop was a bit wonky, so it took a while to actually buy the damned thing. downloading now, will post thoughts in a while.

Rauten
26-01-2012, 12:19 AM
Eagerly awaiting your opinion.

westyfield
26-01-2012, 02:17 AM

And just like that, I'm un-sold on this game.

I only accept FTL because it's damn near impossible to find a hard science fiction space opera, but no I am not fine with a lack of newtonian physics.

Get and read the Revelation Space series by Alastair Reynolds!

mickygor
26-01-2012, 02:44 AM
Get and read the Revelation Space series by Alastair Reynolds!

For some reason I missed out the word "game." I've read all of Alastair Reynold's works several times ;)

Spider Jerusalem
26-01-2012, 02:58 AM
well, i've played the first couple missions. it's good for what it is, which is a straight up shooty spacey thing, but i was really hoping for a bit more depth. as-is it's rather shallow (although quite pretty). the shooting is satisfying, and things can get pretty difficult at times, so i'm definitely not regretting my purchase, but i can't help but want more. if you're looking for something to hop into quickly in order to shoot things in space, this will probably scratch that itch, but i'm not entirely wild about it.