PDA

View Full Version : Quick John Walker/Everyone else, Protest!

Heister
23-01-2012, 06:05 PM
http://www.destructoid.com/move-over-sopa-acta-is-coming-to-europe-and-the-world--220063.phtml

LongBlade
23-01-2012, 06:10 PM
This think is like a bad movie where the killer keeps coming back to life in the next sequel.

Nalano
23-01-2012, 06:13 PM
I dunno if John Walker should be flattered that you think him a leader of a popular movement or insulted that you think it's really just him complaining about all this.

Heister
23-01-2012, 06:16 PM
I dunno if John Walker should be flattered that you think him a leader of a popular movement or insulted that you think it's really just him complaining about all this.

Look through his articles and then you'll understand. The guy complains; a lot.

Grizzly
23-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Redox, we don't really care...

westyfield
23-01-2012, 06:25 PM

Well, John did write nearly all of the articles on SOPA/PIPA, and he's generally the most outspoken when it comes to DRM and silly international release dates.

Heister
23-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Well, John did write nearly all of the articles on SOPA/PIPA, and he's generally the most outspoken when it comes to DRM and silly international release dates.

Saves too! :/ http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/23/stop-it-put-save-games-in-one-place/

Jacques
23-01-2012, 06:29 PM

And whatever else he's decided to be angry about that particular day.

LaunchJC
23-01-2012, 06:32 PM
So complaining is no longer allowed?

Rakysh
23-01-2012, 06:34 PM
No! We must comply with our corporate overlords, and be grateful for their cruelty!

Edit: Imagine this in allcaps.

Kodeen
23-01-2012, 06:36 PM

Only complaining about complaining is allowed. However, since the seed complaint is no longer allowed to come to fruition, how can you then complain about that complaint which was never complained? Complain about a lack of complaint, I suppose, but that may still be considered an original complaint.

Jacques
23-01-2012, 06:36 PM

Sure, it is, but when that complaining is a result of frustration that can have a financial impact on a business, and potentially impact people's lives in very negative ways, you'd expect a modicum of research to be done before hitting the post button.

See also all the various scaremongering DRM posts.

Rakysh
23-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Yup, it's definitely that people are stupid except those who agree with you, and not that it's perfectly possible for people to value consequences differently.

Jacques
23-01-2012, 06:44 PM
I never insinuated in my posts that anyone was stupid, merely that John should probably spend some time researching DRM and EULA issues before writing incredibly inflammatory posts about them.

Thousands of people read his words, he owes it to them, to himself and to the industry to not make mistakes that can completely ruin people's lives.

Berzee
23-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Thanks for keeping this bumped to raise awareness, all =)

Rakysh
23-01-2012, 06:55 PM
Yup, it's definitely that people haven't done their research, except those who agree with you, and not that it's perfectly possible for people to value consequences differently.

Squiz
23-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Redox, we don't really care...-> Redox, we really don't care...

DigitalSignalX
23-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Redox, we don't really care...

-> Redox, we really don't care...

Confirmed (http://gucomics.com/comics/2010/gu_20100326.jpg)?

vecordae
23-01-2012, 07:07 PM
This entire thread is so disjointed (other than the fact that ACTA is horrid) that I can only assume that some of it is missing.

Heister
23-01-2012, 07:12 PM
This entire thread is so disjointed (other than the fact that ACTA is horrid) that I can only assume that some of it is missing.

Looks that way to me too.

SirKicksalot
23-01-2012, 07:52 PM
I'm not worried about a trade agreement that doesn't give the authorities more power and doesn't create any new criminal offences. Furthermore, signing ACTA would automatically stop the US from moving forward with SOPA and PIPA as they're both contrary to its provisions

If anyone cares to read more: http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/or8ag/ive_read_the_final_version_of_acta_heres_what_you/

westyfield
23-01-2012, 08:01 PM

Yeah, somehow we went from "this new bill is bad", to "let's discuss John Walker", to "YOU'RE A FUCKING IDIOT" "NO YOU". Not sure where Redox fits into all this either.

vinraith
23-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Yup, it's definitely that people haven't done their research, except those who agree with you, and not that it's perfectly possible for people to value consequences differently.

While I generally agree with and approve of John's outspokeness, the EA EULA/DRM stuff was oddly biased. The things he was raising an issue about very much SHOULD be pointed out, but pointing them out in only one EULA when they're present in those for Steam and most other digital services was... odd.

Back to topic, ACTA does indeed look bad. Let's hope it meets the same fate SOPA/PIPA did.

soldant
23-01-2012, 11:59 PM
ACTA isn't quite as bad as SOPA/PIPA but it's still a clear attempt by the US to export their laws to other countries. Unfortunately for them though in Australia the failed campaign against iiNet and demanding ISPs hand over their customer's info would probably protect people from an outright invasion of privacy.

deano2099
24-01-2012, 01:26 AM
While I generally agree with and approve of John's outspokeness, the EA EULA/DRM stuff was oddly biased. The things he was raising an issue about very much SHOULD be pointed out, but pointing them out in only one EULA when they're present in those for Steam and most other digital services was... odd.

Wasn't the point more that EA were acting on it (the whole forum ban thing) rather than just threatening too? There might have been some stuff before that though.

vinraith
24-01-2012, 01:38 AM
Wasn't the point more that EA were acting on it (the whole forum ban thing) rather than just threatening too? There might have been some stuff before that though.

Yeah, my objection is to the articles before that happened. The forum/account ban thing was rightly called out.

Stellar Duck
24-01-2012, 02:13 AM
I never insinuated in my posts that anyone was stupid, merely that John should probably spend some time researching DRM and EULA issues before writing incredibly inflammatory posts about them.

Thousands of people read his words, he owes it to them, to himself and to the industry to not make mistakes that can completely ruin people's lives.

I don't know. As a consumer I don't really care about the finances of the industry, to use that nebulous term. I care that the product I buy is not riddled with DRM, making it impossible for me to play when my connection goes on a rampage as happens at times. So I'm quite happy for John to shed some light on the issue. Even if he makes mistakes, which he might, I don't really care. The industry seems to think I'm a dirty thief, so it's not like they are overly concerned with accuracy either.

If that somehow results in people losing their jobs it's sad for them, but it's not really my concern, as a consumer.

soldant
24-01-2012, 04:52 AM
So basically, unless something personally affects you, you couldn't care less about whether it's correctly or incorrectly reported?

Heliocentric
24-01-2012, 10:39 AM
So basically, unless something personally affects you, you couldn't care less about whether it's correctly or incorrectly reported?

In a strange way, I think everyone does that. It's just a matter if what effects you personally.

Stellar Duck
24-01-2012, 10:51 AM

Of course I care about that, assuming it was aimed at me. But I don't think John has misrepresented anyone grossly in the pieces about DRM as was implied, nor has he made any huge factual mistakes. At least as far as I have bothered to check.

The whole DRM debate at this point has basically seen all parties paint themselves into a corner and yelling at each other from those corners. I think writing an inflamatory post about DRM at this point is entirely reasonable and the practices of certain companies certainly warrants it. I see Johns DRM posts as being not too different from op-ed pieces in a newspaper.

In any case, I know what corner I stand in and John is one of the few journos who reliably stand there with me on this issue.

That said, I stand by what I said about not really caring if people lose their jobs, from a consumer standpoint.

lhzr
24-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Why do you people keep engaging this guy? You're just encouraging him to keep going.

Here's quick memento:

http://rockpapershotgun.com/rpsforum/topic.php?id=4612
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?1478-Do-you-trust-RPS
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?1455-RPS-All-they-do-is-advertise