PDA

View Full Version : Dominion 3 - A Game of Noobs

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Jarvis
10-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Sarigs, the replacement file you put in hasn't got a - to indicate it's got orders.

Sarigs
10-03-2012, 12:47 PM
I resubmitted it thik I might have uploaded a Ulm turn from a different game!

Jarvis
10-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Turn 11 is up new deadline is next thursday.

Sarigs
10-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Ahh Science has returned with a answer. If there is a air magic site in that province then its a Air 4+ search which is doubtful. Wind Master do not appear to guarentee a air site :-(

Jarvis
15-03-2012, 07:53 AM
Deadline for submission is today.

riadsala
15-03-2012, 11:04 AM
I'll be on it early evening. Had a busy week!

Jarvis
15-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Turn 12 is up, next deadline is tuesday.

Jarvis
19-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Turn 12 deadline is tomorrow night.

Groovy's heading off for awhile and Nulkigan's still having problems with his connection so while their turns are in currently turn 13 will have an extended deadline.

groovychainsaw
20-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Ta Jarvis - I can put in a turn up until Weds, then can't put in another until monday. Hopefully that won't hold us up too much at least :-).

Jarvis
20-03-2012, 05:41 PM
I've got a problem with Nulkigan's turn 12 file, sending him a mail about it so we're going to get a further delay.

Jarvis
20-03-2012, 08:02 PM
New turn's up, i'll set a soft deadline for this time next week and everyone should be back by then.

groovychainsaw
21-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Crikey, the Ryl'eh chaps are bit nasty - I counted a good number of those illithid types. Anyone got a good cure for their whole army getting paralysed immediately - I may not be long for this world without a counterpunch! :-D

Sarigs
21-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Crikey, the Ryl'eh chaps are bit nasty - I counted a good number of those illithid types. Anyone got a good cure for their whole army getting paralysed immediately - I may not be long for this world without a counterpunch! :-D

Ahh I see that he's finally emerged and siezed some land and grabbed a beachhead... The only real advise I could advise if make sure you "Target Archers" in the scripts as the Mind-blasting squiddies count. However If your lacking in arrows then that's problimatic.... Only thing else is soulless or mindless which is undead/constructions. Issue there is you need someone to lead them into battle and if they're not Undead/mindless then the whole squid armor will be only targeting him....which means a short battle....

Now they've landed I'll be having a think about what else can be done!

groovychainsaw
21-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Yup, Pythium really are a bit screwed, the only missile troops we have are slingers (who need to run at them to get in range). I do have 2 fall-back plans. But I'm not going to reveal those yet (and neither are foolproof). He's only faced the weakest of my 3 armies so far, and I kinda stumbled into him by accident and only fell back because my own commander walked into my hydras (an occupational hazard for pythium). The early skirmish (and education) may prove fortuitous. Or it may prove to be an evil portent of what's to come. We shall see :-)

MasterBoo
21-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Spare me! I'm just squids and fishies!

Sarigs
21-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Spare me! I'm just squids and fishies!

It's a trap! Throw him back into the sea!

lasikbear
21-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Don't worry Pythium, you may still survive longer than the Glorious Nation of Bandar Log. Turns out when you field an army composed mainly of 5 hp archers, its really hard to fight an army with archers that outrange them.

Sarigs
21-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Don't worry Pythium, you may still survive longer than the Glorious Nation of Bandar Log. Turns out when you field an army composed mainly of 5 hp archers, its really hard to fight an army with archers that outrange them.

Yeah my spys saw what happened to your Pretender at the siege.... I suspect you may have had more luck with different combat scriptings. You lost a few mages on the first turn as you troops were too close to them and the first barrage of arrows meant some were bound to hit the mages hiding amongst them. Also you pretender seemed to spend too much time casting defensive spells and then seemed to just start randomising the offensive spells he was pumping out. Least that was my take from the side lines. :-)

lasikbear
21-03-2012, 03:02 PM
Yeah, scripting more than a few units is something I am terrible at, that battle actually went remarkably well compared to a few others... In terms of spells I didn't really have much to cast offensively, but I guess casting anything would have helped. If I only had some tigers =(

Sarigs
21-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Yeah, scripting more than a few units is something I am terrible at, that battle actually went remarkably well compared to a few others... In terms of spells I didn't really have much to cast offensively, but I guess casting anything would have helped. If I only had some tigers =(

Aye well this is only me 2nd MP but the other one has been going on since december so around turn 28ish, got to the point where armies are large enough that I've gotten used to scrpting across different commanders and units!

Having said that you seem to have grasped the almighty communion which is still something that evades me!

Jarvis
21-03-2012, 06:14 PM

I laughed, you cried, I shot more arrows.

I'm doing a write up of my view of the game, when I finish rooting out the remains of your troops do you want to read what i've got so far? (subject to a promise not to pass on info to the others).

Yup, Pythium really are a bit screwed, the only missile troops we have are slingers (who need to run at them to get in range)...

I on the other hand Boo have just demonstrated i've got lots of long ranged soon to be extra accurate bowmen, I see your troops off my coast and am happy to welcome them - I won't throw them back we'll just have a nice feast ;-) .

lasikbear
21-03-2012, 06:21 PM
I would love to have an update on whats going on, though I have to say I wouldn't mind if your account ends pretty soon after mine. While I had hoped to last long enough to field some of the actually cool stuff BL gets, its certainly been a good learning experience.

Still holding out on someone sending me some stuff to kit out my pretender as an SC, any takers? I just need everything, also a lab.

Sarigs
22-03-2012, 12:47 PM
I'm doing a write up of my view of the game, when I finish rooting out the remains of your troops do you want to read what i've got so far? (subject to a promise not to pass on info to the others).

I was planning on doing the same but dithered too much and have failed to take a single screen shot so far. Quite possible far too late so I’ll likely leave it now till the next game!

While I had hoped to last long enough to field some of the actually cool stuff BL gets, its certainly been a good learning experience.

Aye that’s the main thing, won’t take long for people to start fallen and another game can be set up sooner or later! One of the advantages to having AI pretenders is that it’s often early mid-game before the full on player on player wars kick off meaning you’ve nation is more developed, having said that the early aggression is fun to watch if your not directly involved!

Jarvis
22-03-2012, 05:47 PM
I've not actually taken any screen shots myself, it'll mostly be text. If you definatly want screen shots though all you need to do is copy over the relevant turn from the dropbox archive all the files are complete.

Sarigs
22-03-2012, 07:08 PM
I've not actually taken any screen shots myself, it'll mostly be text. If you definatly want screen shots though all you need to do is copy over the relevant turn from the dropbox archive all the files are complete.

.....Ingenius sir. Well played.

MasterBoo
22-03-2012, 07:09 PM
I want to know what I missed in the first year as well. Was too busy conquering the sea :P

Jarvis
22-03-2012, 10:03 PM
I want to know what I missed in the first year as well. Was too busy conquering the sea :P

You'll have to wait for it, i'll only be sending it to laisikbear once i've finished wiping him out I spend a fair bit of text in the beginning giving an assesment of my side, reasons for pretender choice and proposed tactics.

Later as I come across others I've got more on my perceptions of others so mainly what i've got so far pertains to bandar log but your featured as well, partly because r'lyeh was my first choice of side and partly because I origionally thought my first sighting of black candles was you.

MasterBoo
26-03-2012, 03:17 PM
>Can't wait for the next turn<

Jarvis
27-03-2012, 07:03 AM
Deadline's tonight.

Sarigs
27-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Ahh I do love me a deadline night, also good to have something to look forward to while stuck at work and cannae wait to see if my sneaky move has panned out.

If it has... sorry but consider it a valuable lesson in stuff...

Jarvis
27-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Turn 14 is up, hopefully nulkigan should be up and running soon and groovy should be back off holiday already so next turn is due at the end of next sunday.

Sarigs
27-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Sneaky plan worked! The lesson is to take at least a couple of points of PD in all provinces :-) No charge for the lesson!

lasikbear
28-03-2012, 04:11 AM
Oh god oh god oh god I dont want to look.

MasterBoo
28-03-2012, 09:04 PM
My prophet :'[

Jarvis
28-03-2012, 09:09 PM
You did send him alone.

MasterBoo
29-03-2012, 12:05 AM
I think I forgot to make him sneak :S
My original plan was to send him there with a few forces. He was probably still set to 'move' instead of 'sneak'.

groovychainsaw
29-03-2012, 08:52 AM
Well, thanks Sarigs for that important lesson - i though a ring of PD was enough - turns out you need some for your provinces inside your empire, too. You live and learn, I guess. Its not too disruptive, but i think it's going to help masterboo in the short term whilst i try to gather those funds back. I know I've made one fundamental mistake starting with Pythium and I'll share it with the class if I'm the next to go out (I seem to be under something of an onslaught at the moment, and recent events have not helped...)

Sarigs
29-03-2012, 09:50 AM
Aye well to be honest it was a sneak raid, I've no troops and the area is too cut off for me to defend so won't take you long to grab them back. I was executing the plan the same turn that Masterboo had first turned up so was a co-incidence and bad timing for ya, calling it off would have meant pulling my turn order and redoing it based on information given away on the forum so didn't want to go down that path ;-)

It's not the start of a offensive even though our borders have met this turn in other places, just thought I'd try it out.

To block spy sneaks like that just a handful of points will do. There are other methods of sneak raiding with stealthy troopers which require a lot more (See Pan as a nation that excels at it) The MOAR YOU KNOW!

groovychainsaw
29-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Yeah, I'm not bitter about it, just learnt an important lesson - i thought your spies would have more trouble getting through the ring of outer PD, but I guess its just a % chance of catching them. Once they were past that, I knew I was undefended. I underestimated people's desire to be annoying ;-). I'm thankful for a handful of commanders with nothing better to do than take back provinces, at least :-D.

Sarigs
29-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Aye I'm sure those 3 armies surrounding the provinces I sneaked weren't there last turn! I'm *HALF* tempted to try and keep hold of the province with the multi-gem magic item.

And yeah I think the patrol vs. Stealth is a percentage. I know each stealth unit has a stealth "rating" which you can see on the skill sheet. Larger army and cavalry have patrol bonuses as do some special units/commanders.

Theres a in depth look at it over at: http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Stealth (Which is a great wiki for Dom 3 btw)

Jarvis
31-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Deadline is late tomorrow, early monday.

Jarvis
02-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Turn 15 is up.

And in a glorious battle the last of Bandar log's significant might was broken, their pretender fleeing into obscurity in the face of death.

lasikbear
02-04-2012, 12:18 AM
The first exchange of arrows in that battle was particularly good. Think my archers managed 18 total damage during the entire battle.

Sarigs
02-04-2012, 08:42 AM
The one against me? I think you killed a couple of guys but I lined up by cripples as the front line so you were doing me a favour :-)

Ulm has the heaviest armour in the game so short range shortbows are not the way forward!

riadsala
02-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Wooo, looks like I haven't quite come last. I'm still doing pretty badly though :(

MasterBoo
02-04-2012, 01:50 PM
I wasn't able to help Bander Log due to a stupid mistake with an indie province, so I'm looking to help for another underdog in the fight against the Ruthless forces of the Land. Who needs help? :P

Sarigs
02-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Why's that? Has Bandar Log been destroyed entirely? That wasn't your last province was it?

P.s. Sorry Pythium but I kinda like that magic site in your Ex-province so your hydras can jog on for the moment! ;-)

MasterBoo
02-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Why's that? Has Bandar Log been destroyed entirely? That wasn't your last province was it?

He lost his home province 2 turns ago, and I was supposed to help with that.

P.s. Sorry Pythium but I kinda like that magic site in your Ex-province so your hydras can jog on for the moment! ;-)

Pythium then!

Sarigs
02-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Pythium then!

Umm Pythiums totally not a underdog :-P And haven't you already invaded him?

lasikbear
02-04-2012, 03:06 PM
I am not destroyed! I have one province of so little value I can probably hang on to it for quite some time before someone bothers to wipe me out. Or I get dom killed and no one notices.

@Sargis, I was talking about one against man that actually managed to be even worse. All my archers fire, 0 damage. All their longbowmen fire, hundreds (ok maybe 10's) die. Think he did more friendly fire damage to himself during the battle than I managed.

Sarigs
02-04-2012, 04:00 PM
@Sargis, I was talking about one against man that actually managed to be even worse. All my archers fire, 0 damage. All their longbowmen fire, hundreds (ok maybe 10's) die. Think he did more friendly fire damage to himself during the battle than I managed.

Yeah I'm not looking forward to ever running against Man, my Black Guard will chew Wardens up but man alive those longbows will punch right through my armour!

Jarvis
02-04-2012, 04:55 PM
I am not destroyed! I have one province of so little value I can probably hang on to it for quite some time before someone bothers to wipe me out. Or I get dom killed and no one notices.

Pretty sure at least one of my wardens deaths and a couple of injuries were indeed friendly fire.

I'll be along to finish you off in about 2 turns, when you actually fully die I believe all your dominion disappears which means my own will spread in the gap much quicker.

@sarigs I actually think Wardens vs Black Guard will be an interesting battle, it'll be awhile before we test that though.

MasterBoo
02-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Umm Pythiums totally not a underdog :-P And haven't you already invaded him?

I meant I'll attack Pythium, not help it :P

Nullkigan
02-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Vanheim Reloaded: Back in Action (oh god this turn is going to have a billion barbarian revolts isn't it?)

MasterBoo
03-04-2012, 07:43 AM
Who is Chris Jones and why he deleted our turns? :P

groovychainsaw
03-04-2012, 09:15 AM
I suspect I'm going down under assault from (at least) 2 sides now. My armies keep eating themselves (hydras killing commanders/hydras running away through my armies - basically 'damn hydras'). Still, no-one has seen what lies in the heart of darkness of my empire, but I suspect with all my reactive work around my borders, I haven't been able to develop the core as much as was needed. It'll be interesting to see what happens when someone comes knocking at the gates...

MasterBoo
03-04-2012, 09:28 AM
I restored the 3 deleted turns

Sarigs
03-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Aye Hydras are a double edged weapon. The only poison resistant commanders are the hydra trainer and they frankly suck. Positioning is tricky if you have a large force/different speed troops, a unlucky rout will course a massacre through your troops. I've only ever used them once to any effect and that was Early Age with a Gorgon pretender which was great fun!
Not really sure what the best way to use them is to be honest. :-)

Think I'm gonna have to shift up my game gear as I'm in danger of being left behind in the dust!

Jarvis
05-04-2012, 11:43 PM
Deadline's late friday / early saturday.

Jarvis
06-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Turn 16 up.

Nullkigan
06-04-2012, 07:27 PM
Huh. Unexpected.

Sarigs
06-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Huh. Unexpected.

What happened?

I managed to mess up my orders and clashed with Man.

Breaking Science News!! We now know the result between Black Guardians and wardens. They blitz each other. Both end up routing and longbow men take the day :-)

Nullkigan
06-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Jotunheim sallied with about a quarter of their mages and a mass of summoned critters, rather than wait for me to breach their walls.

Jarvis
11-04-2012, 07:01 AM
Deadline's tonight, early tomorrow.

riadsala
11-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Jotunheim sallied with about a quarter of their mages and a mass of summoned critters, rather than wait for me to breach their walls.

weren't really any other options. :(

groovychainsaw
11-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Hi Jarvis, I'm away until saturday, but should be able to get my turn in on sunday, that should be well within the next deadline, right?

Jarvis
11-04-2012, 04:30 PM
For turn 17 certainly.

Jarvis
12-04-2012, 07:03 AM
Turn delayed, ulm your turn file is in there but isn't showing it's dash, looks like you need to re submit it.

MasterBoo
12-04-2012, 08:06 AM
What about riadsala's turn?

riadsala
12-04-2012, 08:46 AM
What about riadsala's turn?

I'm essentially dead. I expect UIm to take out my castle this turn or next.

Sarigs
12-04-2012, 08:48 AM
I'm essentially dead. I expect UIm to take out my castle this turn or next.

Ulm? Do you mean Veinhelm? I'm the harmless one sitting in the middle of the map!

And I'll get on it as soon as I'm home tonight Jarvis, it's possible that I've submitted a turn file form a different game by mistake (which i've turn before in reverse)!

Expect it back in at about 7ish GMT!

MasterBoo
12-04-2012, 09:14 AM
You can make an AI take control of your nation instead of submitting a turn if that's the case.

Jarvis
12-04-2012, 04:49 PM
You can make an AI take control of your nation instead of submitting a turn if that's the case.

I'll second this I don't mind waiting for the 5 day limit since that's what the vote came out for but everyone else has pretty consistently had their turns in a few days quicker - if your not enjoying it anymore and don't want to play out the side to it's defeat then turning it over to the AI will speed up the game for the rest of us.

Sarigs
12-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Turn reloaded in dropbox!

riadsala
12-04-2012, 07:55 PM
I'll second this I don't mind waiting for the 5 day limit since that's what the vote came out for but everyone else has pretty consistently had their turns in a few days quicker - if your not enjoying it anymore and don't want to play out the side to it's defeat then turning it over to the AI will speed up the game for the rest of us.

oh, sorry. I've not been purposely stalling! I didn't realise everybody else was getting annoyed. Sorry

Jarvis
12-04-2012, 09:29 PM
oh, sorry. I've not been purposely stalling! I didn't realise everybody else was getting annoyed. Sorry

That probably came out a bit too harsh, if you need the time you need the time - I like to have a large group of people in a game and that inherently brings slower games the larger the group. If your sticking around that's fine but I think this line
"I'm essentially dead. I expect UIm to take out my castle this turn or next."
just gave the impression that you weren't interested any more, if it becomes the case just let us know and we'll see you in the next game along - no one SHOULD play past their enjoyment afterall.

Edit:-
Turn 17 up, riadsala having processed the turn I see you have gone AI - Just so you know it wasn't a requirement that you must go AI but an option for you to choose, If you do want to carry on let me know and i'll redo this turn.

wedge99
13-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Hey guys. This seemed like the best place to drop in and say I'm interested in a game of Dom 3. I'll name drop so you know I'm legit...The Innocent. I hear he is hosting some games here for people and I'm in a game with him now. He gave me all his info for hosting and said he would host a game I set up if everyone wants to do it that way. Looks like some of the people in the game going on are getting out so I was just interested to see how many people wanted to start up a new game. I'd say I'm at a medium skill level.

Sarigs
13-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Hey guys. This seemed like the best place to drop in and say I'm interested in a game of Dom 3. I'll name drop so you know I'm legit...The Innocent. I hear he is hosting some games here for people and I'm in a game with him now. He gave me all his info for hosting and said he would host a game I set up if everyone wants to do it that way. Looks like some of the people in the game going on are getting out so I was just interested to see how many people wanted to start up a new game. I'd say I'm at a medium skill level.

Hey Wedge,

I'd totally be down for another game. I'm in 2 currently but I've got the time and doesn't involve over commiting :-)

I'm in one of Innocents games as well, not sure if it's the same one as you "SuperFantasticDom3" on dropbox?

Oh and FYI there is another Dom 3 Thread in relation to a different game over here: (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?1322-Dominions-3) I believe they started earlier and are approaching end game so they've had quite a few knock outs etc.

wedge99
13-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Hey Sarigs,

Yep that is the game I'm in. I'm in pretty much in the same spot as you but only have the one game I'm in :(. I'll head over to that thread and see if I can't get some more people involved. I can generate a bunch of maps too to get a good one for whatever size group we put together. I love our map in that game though and would love to play on it again :).

MasterBoo
13-04-2012, 07:19 PM
I'll join a new game as well!

lasikbear
13-04-2012, 07:20 PM
I would be interested in the new game, hoping to make it to the top n-1 this time.

wedge99
13-04-2012, 07:27 PM
Sweet, that's four that are interested so far. How many people do you guys want in the game. I like big ones but they can hold up sometimes due to people not sending in turns. I think maybe six minimum?

Jarvis
13-04-2012, 07:45 PM
I could handle another.

Sarigs
13-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Aye this game we're doing 5 day turns but I'm really enjoying the faster 3 day turns lol.
If I'm being honest I also prefer the fact that the other game is in game communication only as adds another level and makes diplomacy a lot more interesting :-)

Will be fun finding out who your playing as in the other game once it's over. It's really kicking off lol

wedge99
13-04-2012, 08:21 PM
lol, just look at the contact info file in the DB folder. You be T'ien Ch'i fool :). So we have five and in short order so that's encouraging. I too like the faster 3 day turn limit myself. I also like how we set up the first 12 turns being two day limits with exceptions if people needed them.

Sarigs
13-04-2012, 08:31 PM
........Damn you Pangaea......! And haven't you been single handedly holding off 4/5 nations since forever? :-P If thats medium skilled then I'm still firmly in the novice bracket lol!

wedge99
13-04-2012, 08:35 PM
lol, well I can hold my own. Should be really interesting in the coming turns :). I hear horror stories from the Shrapnel forums about how ridiculous those guys are so that's why I say I'm medium skilled. Perhaps for this crowd I'm up there but now you are all going to gang up on me :(. I'm just glad that there seems to be tons of interest so this game might pick up pretty soon.

riadsala
14-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Ditto, I'll join a new game. Wonder if I should give Jot another try.

Nullkigan
14-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Maybe try a nation that has more than 6 units/army that can actually hit the enemy. Attack 8/9 vs Defs of 11/12 is like 60-70% whiff rate. (Skinshifting also rocked your world when you did actually hit)

wedge99
14-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Hey Nullkigan,

You want in on this game? If you join up we'll have seven and probably be set unless people want to hold out for an eighth player. Seems like people have mostly played games together so this should be a good group. We can start the voting on the specifics of the game now if you guys want.

MasterBoo
14-04-2012, 06:05 PM
I have to chance my mind. I won't be able to join the new game afterall. :/

wedge99
14-04-2012, 06:14 PM
No worries. Though if you said that 12 turns in then it would be all curses you and blood magic on your soul.

Went through some of the last pages in this thread and it looks like Groovychainsaw is playing with you guys. Maybe we should see if he wants to get in?

Nullkigan
14-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Hey Nullkigan,

You want in on this game? If you join up we'll have seven and probably be set unless people want to hold out for an eighth player. Seems like people have mostly played games together so this should be a good group. We can start the voting on the specifics of the game now if you guys want.

I can't really afford to commit to any more regular games right now. I have Arma for 4 hours a week, Blood Bowl for 1.5 and this game usually takes me 1-2 hours a week even if I don't bother to write an AAR after each turn. I don't strictly need that much time to play my turns, but I never submit my first set of orders.

wedge99
14-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Yeah that's a lot of stuff. Hope your other game goes well.

MasterBoo
15-04-2012, 07:13 AM
Argh, I actually will be able to play another game. Sorry for the confusion :D

wedge99
15-04-2012, 07:19 AM
Argh, I actually will be able to play another game. Sorry for the confusion :D

Sure, just as long as you are sure you can stay in the full game then. Assuming you don't get killed or anything :). Saw a few pretty good maps for use with or without AI's. Not sure which I'm leaning to this game, maybe no AI's? Either way should work out but saw a bunch of cool maps on the Shrapnel forums.

MasterBoo
15-04-2012, 10:17 AM
I'll stay until the end!

Sarigs
15-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Sure, just as long as you are sure you can stay in the full game then. Assuming you don't get killed or anything :). Saw a few pretty good maps for use with or without AI's. Not sure which I'm leaning to this game, maybe no AI's? Either way should work out but saw a bunch of cool maps on the Shrapnel forums.

Um I don't know what everyone else prefers but if any of the maps are "wrap arounds" they get my vote! They just make much more sense and stop people from being squeezed out or hiding out at the edge of the map! :-)

Jarvis
15-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Turn 18 is up.

Zyrden
15-04-2012, 02:29 PM
A bit late, but I'm up for a new game. The one I'm in is going pretty slow right now, so I have time for another.

MasterBoo
15-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Is it just me or did we lose Ulm (Sarigs) as a player last turn?

wedge99
15-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Ok looks like we have seven now; wedge99, sarigs, lasikbear, Jarvis, ridasala, MasterBoo and Zyrden. I'll look for a good "wrap around" map, I'm looking at you Sarigs :). I just need to know if we want to start out with an AI each because that would change the map size dramatically. Just post your thoughts on that and I'll find a cool map.

MasterBoo
15-04-2012, 06:42 PM
I prefer playing without an AI. Also, I prefer EA or LA. MA is a boring imo.

I can also be responsible for the hosting part.

Nullkigan
15-04-2012, 06:42 PM

He cut his .trn file instead of copying it, I think. He should appear as normal when the turn is processed. Certainly I had a tray notification about ulm earlier today for some reason.

Sarigs
15-04-2012, 07:12 PM

Nope I've still in here, why would you think that? oO

Edit: Oh right I see, yeah I think I opened it through my document tray rather then downloading a copy from the site, sorry for the confusion!

About the map theres a pre-set one in my base game copy being The Desert Eye but may be a little bit big for 7 players?

Jarvis
15-04-2012, 08:30 PM
I've restored that to keep the archives intact.

MasterBoo
15-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Hopefully we can have a new turn tonight :P Finally things are interesting for me!

MasterBoo
15-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Update: Turn 19 is up.

lasikbear
16-04-2012, 12:11 AM
Lets all take a moment of silence for Bandar Log.

Glad we got another game starting!

Jarvis
16-04-2012, 12:28 AM
turn 18 in the archives is missing it's 2h files, we won't be able to recreate the turn without them incase anything goes wrong.

MasterBoo
16-04-2012, 06:12 AM
Oh right, Fixed it!

wedge99
16-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Sent a PM to everyone for voting for our Dom 3 game. Let me know if you didn't get one.

Jarvis
17-04-2012, 12:40 AM
I've not got anything through.

wedge99
17-04-2012, 01:30 AM
bah, I'll try that again then. Maybe only Sarigs got it.

wedge99
17-04-2012, 01:38 AM
Ok Jarvis yours sent. Four people got it and the others didn't so far. Maybe I hit preview rather then submit :). Remaining two should have it soon.

Everyone should now have the voting list now. I have three or four responses so far :).

MasterBoo
17-04-2012, 07:31 AM
You got my message?

wedge99
17-04-2012, 08:46 AM
You got my message?

I got your message.

wedge99
18-04-2012, 07:42 PM
I have not heard from riadsala yet but we are divided on two rules.

5. Faction picking
One side wants random
The other wants to pick 3 or 4 then if there are conflicts with choices have an independent person randomly sort it out.

11. Turn limit details
Looks like 3 days is the consensus, however some are ok with having our first 12 turns be 2 day minimum since those turns are so fast. We could set those 12 turns to 2 days but have them be goals rather then strict deadlines. This would make the beginning go a bit faster for everyone.

Let me know what you guys think and if you want to budge either way on these.

MasterBoo
18-04-2012, 07:47 PM
I am okay with the 2 days, but I'm going for a short vacation in May 17-19, thus I'll need some extra time in these days.

lasikbear
18-04-2012, 07:56 PM
I think I was unspecific about the 2 day thing, but I am cool with it.

MasterBoo
18-04-2012, 08:14 PM
New turn is up!

wedge99
18-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Ok so the turn thing is settled. We just need to figure out the faction picking deal now. I myself would prefer the pick 3 and if there are conflicts then an independent person randomly assigns top pick but I'm cool with either.

lasikbear
18-04-2012, 08:54 PM
We could give everyone a choice of 2 or 3 random nations. I think with three there would probably be some overlap but with luck it wouldn't be an issue.

wedge99
18-04-2012, 08:59 PM
I haven't heard of it done that way. It would be a better form of random for choice of team at least. But people could still get stuck with lower tiered teams and my not be competitive. If everyone picks a team they think they will be good at I think that might be the best. Since none of us are amazing at the game it'll give everyone a good shot. I'll wait for most of us to weigh in of course though.

Sarigs
18-04-2012, 09:18 PM
I haven't heard of it done that way. It would be a better form of random for choice of team at least. But people could still get stuck with lower tiered teams and my not be competitive. If everyone picks a team they think they will be good at I think that might be the best. Since none of us are amazing at the game it'll give everyone a good shot. I'll wait for most of us to weigh in of course though.

I voted for random but that's just a preference so I don't mind a choice of 3 if people prefer. I haven't been playing long enough to really get to know any of the nations and so I like the luck-of-the-draw-how-the-hell-does-this-nation-work-better-learn-and-addapt that comes of randoming!

wedge99
18-04-2012, 09:31 PM
You could randomly pick three teams :).

Jarvis
18-04-2012, 09:32 PM
I suggested with the pick preferences and randomize clashs and still thing it's best.

What age did the vote come to please?, I'd like to have a look at the races for that age and start designing potential pretenders.

wedge99
18-04-2012, 10:02 PM
I suggested with the pick preferences and randomize clashs and still thing it's best.

What age did the vote come to please?, I'd like to have a look at the races for that age and start designing potential pretenders.
Came to Late Age.

Sarigs
18-04-2012, 10:10 PM
Came to Late Age.

LA....did the ban overpowered win the vote option then (hopefully)? IF not I'm forseeing a lot of conflicts over R'lyeth and Ermor lol

wedge99
18-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Yeah those two nations are banned since they are way OP if used right.
Pangaea I think has some ridiculous Carrion Forest spell that makes them OP too, so if I end up getting them I won't do that path. Any others that are ridiculous?

Actually the Carrion Forest spell isn't as OP as I thought. I won't be Pangaea though since I have already played a game as them and are pretty good with them. I'll try out another team.

Sarigs
19-04-2012, 06:35 AM
Not that I can think of, I've not actually played Late Age before so I've no idea what its like!

MasterBoo
19-04-2012, 06:36 AM
I've never tried LA so can't tell. Banning more factions would leave us to pick only 10 nations though :P

Sarigs
19-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Hey up Wedge, just outta interest what sort of time scale are the thinking for getting nations together/pretenders in etc?

wedge99
19-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Hey up Wedge, just outta interest what sort of time scale are the thinking for getting nations together/pretenders in etc?

Hey up Sarigs :). I was hoping to hear from riadsala on the rules but he hasn't responded yet and he hasn't been on the forums. Let's do the pick three factions and randomize the outcomes for people that choose the same nations. Banned are Ermor and Ryliegh, or however you spell that name. I'd say two days for picks to be due? Three is cool though if everyone is busy.

The territory vote came out to about 12 territories per nation before we start to run into each other and independents strength at medium. If that is a factor for anyone's strategy. Score graph off, no AI factions, In-game communication (except for turn delays and perhaps taunting), no pretender restrictions and I'll just go ahead and say the turn limit will be 2 days for the first 12 turns (with liberal exceptions of course) and 3 day turn limits after that. The last point many people didn't specify but it seemed that 3 days is a good landing point for the game after the first year.

We didn't really talk about the hosting part but I'd like to host and do it through Drop Box. I have not hosted before but The Innocent has shown me how and it's pretty easy. Great well just PM me with your choices and we'll get this game going. I'll be bored at work pretty much all day so I'll look for a good map, wrap around might be tricky though Sarigs :(, and have a few choices for us.

Jarvis
19-04-2012, 05:10 PM
If we get a good generated map that isn't wrap-around It may be possible to manually add additional connections to make it wrap around.

wedge99
19-04-2012, 06:31 PM
If we get a good generated map that isn't wrap-around It may be possible to manually add additional connections to make it wrap around.

I haven't done that before but that would be great. I like the idea of the only real boundaries being impassable mountains, and one way river crossings.

wedge99
20-04-2012, 01:06 AM
I've never tried LA so can't tell. Banning more factions would leave us to pick only 10 nations though :P

It would be 18 nations actually :)

Sarigs
20-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Bloody hell it was difficult to winnow it down to three choices, never looked through LA Nations before but thematically they all rock.

MasterBoo
20-04-2012, 02:27 PM
To whom we need to send our choices?

Sarigs
20-04-2012, 02:38 PM
To whom we need to send our choices?

To Wedge99 I believe, he's been arranging everything so far.

Nullkigan
20-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Wouldn't giving them to a player present a conflict of interest? :P

(also SO MUCH UNREST)

Jarvis
20-04-2012, 06:18 PM
The innocent has been friendly in this regard for us previously, he may not mind being pestered again.

Sarigs
20-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Er....yeah I did not think about that, I'll sent him a email and check if thats ok wedge :-)

wedge99
20-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Yeah no problem. I already talked with him and he said that's fine. So everyone send their picks to The Innocent.

The Innocent
20-04-2012, 10:33 PM
The innocent has been friendly in this regard for us previously, he may not mind being pestered again.

Sure, I don't mind.

EDIT: Can someone send me the complete player list so I'll know when everyone's nation picks are in? So far I have submissions from wedge99, lasikbear, Sarigs, and MasterBoo.

wedge99
20-04-2012, 11:13 PM
List coming your way. Thanks

Jarvis
21-04-2012, 12:04 AM
Turn 21 is up.

MasterBoo
21-04-2012, 06:16 PM
groovychainsaw: Nice attempt :P Thanks for the scales!
Jarvis: Holy shit at your home province.

wedge99
21-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Javis sent me his email and I invited him to the Drop Box folder. Send me your guys email so I can do the same for everyone.

Sarigs
21-04-2012, 08:04 PM
groovychainsaw: Nice attempt :P Thanks for the scales!
Jarvis: Holy shit at your home province.

Sounds intruiging what's occured? :-)

MasterBoo
21-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Well he just got like 300 archers in a province I was about to attack.

Jarvis
21-04-2012, 08:38 PM
I just recruited one or two more men.

The Innocent
22-04-2012, 06:22 AM
Okay, here are the team picks for wedge's game!

Jarvis: Midgard
lasikbear: Agartha
MasterBoo: Pythium
Sarigs: Atlantis
wedge99: Caelum
Zyrden: Marignon

Sarigs
22-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Okay, here are the team picks for wedge's game!

Jarvis: Midgard
lasikbear: Agartha
MasterBoo: Pythium
Sarigs: Atlantis
wedge99: Caelum
Zyrden: Marignon

Thanks again Innocent :-) I'm 90% sure that my SP Testing with Atlantis will turn out to be useless but it's entirely on!

Last minute testing commence!

Jarvis
22-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Turn 22 is up

MasterBoo
22-04-2012, 10:37 AM
All I have to say is: CRAP.

Sarigs
22-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Any chance of renaming the new game Dropbox? Having two Game of Noobs is gonna confuse the hell out of me!

MasterBoo
22-04-2012, 10:49 AM
You can rename it locally. It won't rename it for us.

Jarvis
22-04-2012, 10:58 AM
All I have to say is: CRAP.

Get thee back to the sea squiddy.

Sarigs
22-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Like it Thanks Masterboo. Should we start another thread for the 2nd game? And when do you want pretenders in? I've been testing a bit so I've got one good to go

MasterBoo
22-04-2012, 11:08 AM
I prefer moving to a new thread as well. Don't name it 'a game of noobs' though :P.

Jarvis
22-04-2012, 11:53 AM
How about "Ding - a game of amateurs"

Nullkigan
22-04-2012, 12:25 PM
After we restarted our game I started referring to it as 'Clash of Cadets'. Also that looks like a hell of a fight between Pyth and Rl'yeh over there.

MasterBoo
22-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Yeah. Damn Hydras.

wedge99
22-04-2012, 06:17 PM
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?4364-Masters-of-Disaster-(A-Dominions-3-game)

New thread

groovychainsaw
23-04-2012, 09:07 AM
OOOh. I haven't even looked in yet. Did I do well? I was going for the offensive, and also surprising 'here's an extra 100 net-wielding gladiators sprinted from my capital for your illithids to get bored shooting at' strategy, but to be honest, I was still expecting my hydras to kill most of my own troops whilst running away, which has been their M.O. for some time :-)

Sarigs
23-04-2012, 09:53 AM
OOOh. I haven't even looked in yet. Did I do well? I was going for the offensive, and also surprising 'here's an extra 100 net-wielding gladiators sprinted from my capital for your illithids to get bored shooting at' strategy, but to be honest, I was still expecting my hydras to kill most of my own troops whilst running away, which has been their M.O. for some time :-)

Well you drove him out of the province that I was able to see but no Hydras/Gladiators were involved so looks like a double win at least :-)

MasterBoo
23-04-2012, 10:42 AM
I killed most of army but the hydras finished the job.

riadsala
23-04-2012, 11:21 AM
aw, I was too late. ah well. next time [been very busy at work lately]

Nullkigan
23-04-2012, 11:00 PM
Processed the new turn. Think I did it right.

MasterBoo
26-04-2012, 12:07 AM
New turn is up!

Jarvis
26-04-2012, 12:53 PM
One nice feature of civ 4 which I'd have loved to see in this game is an over view of the whole map showing every nation at once in a quick recap - watching them expand out, meet then struggle back and fourth until it reach's the end game state with one nation usually spreading far out.

Nullkigan
26-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Until my move I was sort of doing that by keeping a vector map up to date (admittedly inaccurate as I was guessing at start locations for most people). That, and my AAR, are stalled around turn 15.

groovychainsaw
27-04-2012, 09:02 AM
Damn you Boo with your underwater castles. Any tips on seiging underwater anyone? Above ground it looks promising, but underwater seems a stretch at the moment.

Sarigs
27-04-2012, 09:38 AM
Damn you Boo with your underwater castles. Any tips on seiging underwater anyone? Above ground it looks promising, but underwater seems a stretch at the moment.

I believe it is the same as above ground except you need enough magic items/air breathing gear to support you force. Not sure what the Supply situation is like under the waves!

Jarvis
27-04-2012, 02:12 PM
Lol that was fast groovy.

Sarigs
28-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Turn in! Sorry for the delay, was away last fight and forced into overtime this morning!

Nullkigan
28-04-2012, 06:48 PM
We're well within schedule. Feel kind of bad about prodding you over it now that I have heat again. Glorious central heating!

Sarigs
28-04-2012, 06:56 PM
We're well within schedule. Feel kind of bad about prodding you over it now that I have heat again. Glorious central heating!

Lol don't worry about it. I normally do my turns same day their uploaded and then spend the next 3/5 days sulking and being impatient!

Jarvis
02-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Turn 28 is due on friday.

Nullkigan
02-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Having finally finished my game of chase-around-the-mountain with the last ten Jotunheim worshippers, I get the feeling I should eulogise them somehow... but it's too hard to not break down the entire war into a play-by-play of mistakes so I shall just say:

Holy balls that is a massive jump in dominion for all the people who are not me.

Jarvis
03-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Boo you've updated the other game but not this one, it's you we're waiting for here.

MasterBoo
03-05-2012, 07:07 PM
Oh god. I am used to see myself as "Pythium" and thought I delivered the turn.
On it!

EDIT: delivered!

Jarvis
03-05-2012, 07:22 PM
Turn's up. My how regularly my misfortune of 1 seems to be delivering results to me now...

Nullkigan
03-05-2012, 07:32 PM
35 unrest in my cap :(

Nullkigan
04-05-2012, 07:16 PM
Turn 29 is ready. I have a nice line in MAGIC PILLS that ENHANCE YOUR UNDERWATER ENDURANCE (for 6-7 gems a pop)

Jarvis
08-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Finally!!!!!

Nullkigan
08-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Finally!!!!!

First underwater capture? I didn't get a message about any pretenders breaking free...

Jarvis
08-05-2012, 08:48 PM
First underwater capture? I didn't get a message about any pretenders breaking free...

Boo's attacked me again.

groovychainsaw
09-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Right Ulm, its on like donkey kong.

My armies are ready to open your tins cans like... like... a can opening device. You will rue the day you took on Pythium!

Sarigs
09-05-2012, 10:10 AM

My armies are ready to open your tins cans like... like... a can opening device. You will rue the day you took on Pythium!

Who me? *whistles*

Prepare. Thyself. To. Face. The. BLADEWIND SPAM OF DOOM (tm)!

And to be fair I totally waited until you'd driven the squids out and then a few more turns for luck as promised! But been stagnating for a while and need to make a move before my empire collapses in on itself! ;-)

Good luck either way!

Jarvis
09-05-2012, 03:31 PM

I'm sorry to break it to you groovy but donkey kong is dead. I shot him full of arrows. (You probably don't want it to be on like donkey kong).

Nullkigan
09-05-2012, 10:10 PM
Boo's attacked me again.

Just got scout reports on that. Oh wow. (Turn 32 up, sorry for the lateness I was busy yesterday and have been fighting a losing war against alcohol this evening)

groovychainsaw
10-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Right - turns out, crossbowmen, for all their 'armour piercing' abilities do sod all to heavy armour. Bugger. Plan B will need to be enacted.

Sarigs
10-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Right - turns out, crossbowmen, for all their 'armour piercing' abilities do sod all to heavy armour. Bugger. Plan B will need to be enacted.

Yeah I was surprised how well I weathered the storm.

To be fair though I think there's a difference between Heavy Armour and Ulm-ian Blackplate! My base bog standard dudes are kitted out in full heavy armour. My Blackplate lads are a step up ;-)

If it makes you feel any better although you only got 1 of my dudes, I've a smattering of afflications through out my frontline!

And if Plan B involves Hydras I'm not interested ;-)

groovychainsaw
10-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Nah - I think I'm going to see how lightning affects men in plate armour ;-). Plan C is 'throw all the most poisonous things I own at them'.

Jarvis
10-05-2012, 05:53 PM
I appear to have so many commanders in one spot they don't all show up to accept my orders.

Sarigs
10-05-2012, 07:28 PM
I appear to have so many commanders in one spot they don't all show up to accept my orders.

There should be a faint arrow at the bottom right corner of them matey!

Nullkigan
10-05-2012, 07:51 PM
All rise for the national anthem of Vanheim:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIoSPevvsds (Air Wolf, if you don't want to click)

The fall of the third year of the pretender wars brings good news: the return of Empress Ragnfridr from Tartarus, and the deployment of Air Lupus.

Air Lupus is a transportation service that sees Viking Cheer delivered directly to your doorstep, avoiding such annoying obstacles as mountains, swamps and intervening armies. The test-flight of the first four magic carpets has been a success and more are on the way.

Armour Piercing halves the target's armour. Ignores Armour removes it completely. Against Ulm, crossbows basically mean you have slow-firing standard bows against typical medium infantry (including a bunch who don't bother with shields). It's just crossbows are also wildly inaccurate, especially when recruited from independent provinces. Fire Arrows and Wind Guide neatly solve that problem.

... which is also largely the solution to Hydras, given that they have eight or nine forms to kill, rendering lightning bolts useless. Summoning Earth Elementals also works. Blade Wind, too, I bet.

Jarvis
10-05-2012, 08:04 PM
The fall of the third year of the pretender wars brings good news: the return of Empress Ragnfridr from Tartarus, and the deployment of Air Lupus.

Air Lupus is a transportation service that sees Viking Cheer delivered directly to your doorstep, avoiding such annoying obstacles as mountains, swamps and intervening armies. The test-flight of the first four magic carpets has been a success and more are on the way.

I've found some appropriate music for the occasion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaMxZ4uROp0&feature=related

Sarigs
10-05-2012, 11:26 PM
I've found some appropriate music for the occasion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaMxZ4uROp0&feature=related

Not heard that before but it's great, I'm wondering who's ego due to be crushed though and whos empire will be the next to turn to dust.....

Nullkigan
11-05-2012, 09:57 PM
That's rather unfriendly :(

All turns are up, someone who is sober should process.

Or maybe I will do it in a few hours anyway...

Jarvis
11-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Turn processed.

It was nice of you to visit boo, you should come ashore more often.

Sarigs
12-05-2012, 08:32 AM
That's rather unfriendly :(

No THAT was really unfriendly! Et tu Nullkigan?

Nullkigan
12-05-2012, 09:49 AM
I was told there was a party in Ulm! I was bringing elephants!

You killed the elephants :(

MasterBoo
12-05-2012, 03:54 PM
God. I suck :(

Nullkigan
15-05-2012, 11:15 PM
Oh dear. Time to burn gems like there is no tomorrow!

Sarigs
21-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Right I've posted the same in the other thread but I think their are some people playing in this one who wouldn't receive the message!

Just giving everyone a head's up that as of tomorrow I'm aware for a week and so won't be able to process turns, my current turn is already in and I should be home for the weekend before having to go away again. Downtime should be minimum but may be a day over deadline or so depending!

groovychainsaw
21-05-2012, 03:16 PM
Just an additional heads up from me, too, I'm off on holiday on friday night, and I won't be back until the following sunday. Which might be a bit disruptive. Obviously it might slow you down to wait, so I'm happy to go with whatever you guys reckon is most suitable, i don't mind missing a turn (or two? more painful!) if that keeps things moving...

Nullkigan
31-05-2012, 11:43 PM
I suppose I should start thinking about my next game now. We're almost down to four, and rapidly reaching the point where Magic makes empires crumble.

Sarigs
31-05-2012, 11:50 PM
I suppose I should start thinking about my next game now. We're almost down to four, and rapidly reaching the point where Magic makes empires crumble.

Yeah I'm pretty much down and out at this point. Curse you Nullkigan and your betrayal! :-)

Nullkigan
31-05-2012, 11:58 PM
Our Non-agression pact had expired several turns ago and I made it quite clear to you in private messages that my long supply lines were not sustainable!

:)

Sarigs
11-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Caught between sneaky Viking and some uppity snakes :-(

I hate to say it but I'm pretty much down and out! However my Brave Light brigate will see Ulmian soil before they breath they last!

Nullkigan
11-06-2012, 09:36 PM
That is a wonderous number of blade winds, but Ulmish soil ends beneath your very boots. Unless you'd like to kiss Keshi's head, we can lower the pike as an act of good faith for that :)

(Sorry it had to end that way, but the terrain really did not favour a continued non-agression pact. If I had left you alone you'd have been able to hit me across a massive front on short notice, with any chance of fighting back being months away from said front)

Now back to worrying about exactly how many vine ogres and green hounds Man has been summoning to stop a siege factor of 400 from breaking a Motte-and-Bailey. Meanwhile, a brave scout just earned a renaming to Lord Cocksure of Siegeville.

Sarigs
11-06-2012, 09:39 PM
That is a wonderous number of blade winds, but Ulmish soil ends beneath your very boots. Unless you'd like to kiss Keshi's head, we can lower the pike as an act of good faith for that :)

(Sorry it had to end that way, but the terrain really did not favour a continued non-agression pact. If I had left you alone you'd have been able to hit me across a massive front on short notice, with any chance of fighting back being months away from said front)

Now back to worrying about exactly how many vine ogres and green hounds Man has been summoning to stop a siege factor of 400 from breaking a Motte-and-Bailey. Meanwhile, a brave scout just earned a renaming to Lord Cocksure of Siegeville.

Aye don't worry about it, kinda crippled myself early game! Suiciding retaking the capital will be a fine swan song. And yeah.....it's going to be ALOT of blade winds just FYI....like 20 smiths capible of it from the 2nd round onwards....
;-)

Sarigs
15-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Right just so everyone knows, especially the Host I'm bowing out gracefully and turning AI :-)

Thanks for the game lads, but I is fully licked :-)

Nullkigan
15-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Huh. Arrow Fend works on Blade Wind. Who knew!

(Another skull for my collection: the pretenders Keshi, Jarak and Callanish have all fallen before my horde, even though only Jotunheim is dead)

Sarigs
16-06-2012, 09:24 AM
Huh. Arrow Fend works on Blade Wind. Who knew!

Not me unfortunately otherwise that would have.....gone differently :-P

Nullkigan
16-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Nor did I, which continues my lucky streak with regards to pitched battles. I wish you'd sent those mages after Pythium's hydras instead, blade wind is pretty much perfect for that. Now I've got to come up with a plan that works with my complete lack of massed ranged attacks. Alas, that would make things too easy.

I was worried at the start of our last battle, I'd been planning on picking off your mages with various magical attack spells whilst you were besieging Ulm. Losing a large number of skinshifters to spells would have killed any chance I had of breaching Man's fort before Pythium turned on me. That kind of happened anyway, but it would have been worse.

Still, you did give me half your lands and enough time to deploy some of my own astral mages to fight off the inevitable mind-hunt spam.

... and then Man thought they'd break the siege on their cap by sallying at my scout. That worked out even better than I'd hoped.

(should I start playing the Imperial March whenever I work on my turns now?)

Jarvis
16-06-2012, 05:50 PM
I consider myself dead as well - from a long time back when I found myself in a stalemate with r'lyeh yet locked into fending him off thus holding myself static instead of growing on land.

Still I intend to hold out as long as I can and I encourage ulm and r'lyeh to do so as well, It may still affect if pythum or vanheim ultimately reign over all.

Sarigs
16-06-2012, 06:32 PM
I consider myself dead as well - from a long time back when I found myself in a stalemate with r'lyeh yet locked into fending him off thus holding myself static instead of growing on land.

Still I intend to hold out as long as I can and I encourage ulm and r'lyeh to do so as well, It may still affect if pythum or vanheim ultimately reign over all.

Tis a fair point but I'm down to 5 smiths, single digit troops, most with afflications, I've rampant unrest in my 2 whole provines and I've had 0 Gold total and income for the last 6 or 7 turns, it's possible that this turn after my horrific loss' last turn my income MAY be more then my upkeep but if it is I'll be damn surprised if it's enough to buy a single trooper!
Actually just counted rather then guessing make that: 3 Master Smiths & 3 Priest Smiths and 29 troops :-)

I don't even have the resources to sneak a undefended province and theirs none of them about, only option open to me is to sit in the castle and hit end turn and honestly the AI can do that better then me ;-)

No amount of my troops can beat back any of the forces currently surrounding my lands and I will not be able to afford any smiths until more of my army DESERTS to bring my upkeep down at which point in 10-20 turn I may be able to buy a single commander ;-)

To give ya idea my current Total income is 64 gold a turn and that before my 78 upkeep, 0 gem income and my only offensive spell is pretty much entirely countered by a single spell that all of Vans forces are scripted for (Air shield). As far as Pythium goes Ulm Smiths are the poster boys for why Mind Hunt is such a dirty bugger of a spell ;-)

I considered my self to have lost a long LONG time back but stayed around while I felt their was any chance of me swinging the balance at all but I can't see it.

Having said that if you rear through the above self-pitying (JK) whine and can think of a plan then I'm all ears :-)

Jarvis
16-06-2012, 07:12 PM
I've more gold then I can spend currently since 3 of my 5 castle's are under siege, some golden love coming your way.

Nullkigan
16-06-2012, 07:38 PM
I'm working on those other two castles, but there's a stack of hydras I have to kill first. Also R'lyeh might want to eat some of your brains or something, I don't know. I've got boats so I don't care about the underwater provinces!

Ulm does have a couple of spells that can still be useful: you want stuff that isn't a projectile (as Arrow Fend/Air Shield stops that).

I honestly thought Man had me when he poured over the border in aid of Ulm, especially as I was uncertain whether or not Pyth would stay neutral to me. The raiding tactic with Wardens was quite the eye-opener. Thankfully, some quick gem-burning and a few turns of mopping up let me go on the offensive.

I've rather pointedly been using Ulm and Pythium to keep my flanks secure in this latest war and from turn 1 I knew I'd need Astral mages (for Mindhunt spam from R'lyeh and Pythium) and Arrow Fend (for Man and general bowspam). At the start of the Pyth-Ulm war, Ulm's main army was actually probably better than mine because I've only had about 30 Van riding around in total. Skinshifters are pretty damn tough, but they're not really a match for troops they can't do any damage too.

Jarvis
16-06-2012, 08:32 PM
The original intent when I built the god was to have wardens waiting in pretty much every province of a target nation and then have the war mostly finished before it began, that target was squiddy when I turned out to be on the coast - once I had the ocean under my control i'd be free to turn the attention back to land.

I would've been on track with the wardens but I couldn't get my research up anywhere near as fast as I wanted and you'll also not find a single air site in my territory which left me relying on ulm to get me underwater, he of course had his own problems and what items I did buy reduced my gold for buying my own troops.

Sarigs
17-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Well you've guilted me into sticking around and not going AI yet, on the upside micromanaging my turn takes less then 5 minutes so it's not exactly a big time commitment to see it out till the bitter end (Which I can't imagine being long!)

Just out of interest how's things going in the water? If your that hard pressed on land Jarvis are you still strong in Masterboo's seas? Just wondering due to his note about giving up :-)

Jarvis
17-06-2012, 01:00 PM
I never did exactly get strong in the seas, another castle sprang up off my coast, the majority of the force I sent in there died and i've only got a few squads of wardens sieging one of his castles, a slow process.

One of his army's came ashore again but I can't actually see it right now, not sure if he's messing about with nulkigan or not.

Sarigs
20-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Ah right just so everyone know looks like I didn't redo my turn after deciding to maybe stick around for a few more turns despite trying to! So Ulm has turned AI, don't mourn for me though it was well and truly over for me at this point.

Thanks very much for the game, I shall be following with interest so let us know how it goes!

GG Van you crafty swine you and good luck to Loyal Man and On-and-off Ally/Enemy Pythium! Alas Poor Squiddy I never met ye!

Nullkigan
20-06-2012, 06:45 PM
We can redo it? I processed the turn because we'd had a full five sitting around for more than a day. Should've deleted the old one.

Sarigs
20-06-2012, 06:58 PM
We can redo it? I processed the turn because we'd had a full five sitting around for more than a day. Should've deleted the old one.

Yeah I think what happened was I didn't "redo from start" so although I'd given orders it was still flagged as "Turn AI" if no one minds I'll put the correct turn file in dropbox now so it would only be a minimal delay.

Done, I've put the .2h in turn 41 folder but it's my turn 40 is that makes sense

Nullkigan
20-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Reprocessed. Damn, AI R'lyeh ate up a bunch of my scripting and cause me to take larger losses in that siege :(

Jarvis
20-06-2012, 09:17 PM

Did we? Sorry, i've gotten slack with it lately.

Nullkigan
20-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Did we? Sorry, i've gotten slack with it lately.

To be fair, it must suck to not be me or Groovy right now.

groovychainsaw
21-06-2012, 08:47 AM
I'm pretty sure its going to suck for me fairly soon, but I'm determined to go out in a blaze of glory at least :-)

Nullkigan
28-06-2012, 08:59 PM
You lost a lot of gems and gave me a free cloak of etherealness. What a nice chap, I'll kill you last!

(Ulm dies completely next turn, Rl'yeh is AI and I just captured Man's capital. I'd call it game, but your mage situation is probably better than my spies tell me considering how many I have on the front right now)

groovychainsaw
29-06-2012, 12:26 AM
Honestly, I have NO IDEA how to beat your guys null. I'm losing like, 100 to every 1 of yours. So its probably all over. Unless my actual, real angels (due next turn) actually do anything. But it doesn't look likely, considering how TERRIBLE the basic ones are. The only thing I've seen work against you are the hydras, but they're slow, can only be hired at capital and are really expensive, so holding in reserve just costs me gold every turn (interesting point- my ability to raise armies is getting better each time you kill one off...). I don't think I'll be much trouble for you null, although obviously I haven't thrown any mages at you yet really, but considering how inexperienced I am, I probably won't get the slave/master thing right and won't annihilate you (as thats basically the only end game pythium has). Plus, they're slow as well, so i have to fight you in my own territory. But I have nothing that can fight outside my territory at all. Any suggestions, chaps? Otherwise, we're pretty close to calling it here.

/Oh, and I didn't even realise that mage had gems until he got to that fort. Which didn't have a lab, naturally. Bugger, eh? As for the ethereal cloak, i hope it brings you as much luck as it brought me. I hoped for more from it, but its obviously pretty worthless.

Jarvis
29-06-2012, 05:13 PM
I've nothing I can reasonably do and ulm's only in because I convinced him so it's up to you groovy to call it as nulk's win if you want.

Nullkigan
29-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Honestly, I have NO IDEA how to beat your guys null. I'm losing like, 100 to every 1 of yours.

Not quite that bad. The problem is you're using crossbowmen as your primary force. They're inaccurate at the best of times and their benefits (armour piercing) are worth jack as my skinshifters don't wear armour to begin with. Then the Skinshifters are on top of you with a greatsword and transforming into a giant raving werewolf if you do actually manage to hurt them. If your defence skill is 9 and my attack is 12, then I'm hitting you like 80% of the time instead of the 55% for being even. For reverse values, it's dodging 65% to 45% or something like that. The wiki has the correct maths somewhere.

Plus Arrow Fend / Storm render ranged weapons useless so long as I have air gems to hand.

The hydras cut through like 50 (so 1250 gold's worth) of skinshifters and only died because I had the foresight to set up a flanking maneouver and killed their commander. At the end of that fight I had about three guys left on the field.

The Harbingers I killed were a surprise. I thought they'd be tougher, but then again they had huge fatigue as they'd been casting spells.

The things that have been killing me most since I got my Army Groups going have been Ulmish infantry (which you handily took care of most of), as I couldn't really cleave through their armour that well, massed mages (Sarigs' grand crusade was scary for a while there), and multiple sequential attacks (so R'lyeh attacked me then I attacked man, but as my mages had burned gems on Rl'yeh I didn't have any for the fight with man and oh god casualty.).

What I haven't yet fought is a proper army with army-wide buffs supported by a couple of coteries of mages or communions that weren't basically trying to Light Brigade me. Or a large number of summons.

I've nothing I can reasonably do and ulm's only in because I convinced him so it's up to you groovy to call it as nulk's win if you want.

You've got enough troops (and probably mages) stacked up in that fort to make a fight of it, at least. Plus you've seen plenty of my tactics by this point :)

Sarigs
30-06-2012, 01:13 PM
The things that have been killing me most since I got my Army Groups going have been Ulmish infantry (which you handily took care of most of), as I couldn't really cleave through their armour that well, massed mages (Sarigs' grand crusade was scary for a while there), and multiple sequential attacks (so R'lyeh attacked me then I attacked man, but as my mages had burned gems on Rl'yeh I didn't have any for the fight with man and oh god casualty.).

I cannot stress how much I hate Vanheim and Midgard :-P I'm not that experienced but in all of the games I've been in they have crazy amounts of mages with huge magic spreads, they seem to have a fairly easy counter to all of their weakness. (Skinshifter lack of armor makes them usually arrow fordder but Van mages have fairly easy access to Airshield. Armor can counter them [Ignoring that before they change they have a single high damage attack which is usually enough to take out Heavy Infantry -Ulm being slightly tougher- and their wolf form has high strength meaning they can usually tear through armor as well) but Vanheim have easy access to lightning spells which just rend armored guys limb from limb.

They have the ability to put a crazy number of skinshifter into the field in the hundreds, a really strong early game and I'm not convinced they trail off in the late game.

You get blood although your missing Astral and...bloody hell I've just been checking through the wika and for the SAME PRICE as one of my Black Smiths (Incidently pretty much my only mage) you get a dwarven smith as well. Same forge bonus I believe and whereas mine are F1E2 with a 10% chance of a single random you get a E3 mage with a 100% random plus a 10% change of another. That shizzle is whacked :-P
Edit: I've just double checked and your smiths are 40 more gold and don't get the forge bonus, the flavour text just sounds that way....whoops.

I do hate me some Van :-/

Nullkigan
30-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Skinshifters are more expensive than most national troops, and the werewolf form is equiped with claws so whilst they have high strength they still only hit about as hard as regular sword infantry. They do however get three of those attacks. The real power of the skinshifter is in their ability to tank hits despite a lack of armour. Status effects, AOE attacks and masses of arrows (no shields!) all burn through them at a good clip. Airshield can be countered by Wind Guide and Flaming Arrows, Evocations, maybe Dispel, or by otherwise disabling the mages who are good targets for bows and flankers (balanced somewhat by glamour).

Van has strong Air (3-4) and Earth (3-5) access, some death, blood and fire (2 max, but mostly on tiny effective chances). No water (clams), nature (GoR, clams, regen gear) or astral (Mind Hunt). Powerful rituals, items and evocations start around 3 levels in a school. Despite the high levels of air, Vanir have high base fatigue from their gear and lack the feet slots required to get the levels of reinvig that other nations can happily churn out with earth boots. The battlemages are very expensive (380 for Drotts) and don't have a huge amount of variety given that they invest heavily Air and blood, which do not synergise well. The smiths are a little better but more useful as cheap researchers as well as being capital only. With 8 research from capital mages and 4 from national mages, their research game is also piss-poor, meaning they have to hit targets early and then go for the throat before everyone else outclasses them.

Blood's sort of a trap because B2 is rare and stupidly expensive whilst B1 is useless for summons and still costs 180 gold per hunter. There's no reason to put points into blood instead of Evo unless you have a crazy plan, good pretender and a lot of luck with sites. Thunderbolt is very good but it's most useful as a status effect, stunning nearby troops so the wolves can go to town. You can cast it at most 3 times before running out of stamina, and units that can do that cost more than 12 regular infantry as well as being capital only. They cost more than a hydra and would lose in a fight with one quite handily, magic be damned. Lighting bolt is nowhere near as powerful as it can only strike one target and orb lightning is a massive risk due to short range.

The most powerful ranged troop Van has is equiped with a javelin and about as good as indie heavy infantry. Thus they have great difficulty facing down combined armies with Hydras, Thugs etc. If your thug is being shut down by a dozen vanjarls hurling lightning bolts in its face, then you've probably got a dozen more thugs lying around anyway.

Late game they lose out due to their lack of research, gemgens, national spells, path diversity and counters for supercombatants. They're not terrible, but if they just coast into the end they'll be handily outclassed. In this game we're still distinctly mid game as we're still seeing large armies, conj 6ish summons and very little forged gear.

The reason I've dominated is that we've played a very small game with a low number of players, favouring the stronger starting nations. I've also never fought a fair battle. I've always planned flanking maneuvers, cavalry traps, brought more troops than I needed to (this has bit me in the ass a few times) and made sure my opponent had their troops committed to another front before going to war. I also used battle magics and conjurations which nobody else seems to have done much of, as well as thoroughly site searching my provinces. I did get very lucky with some sites - which I might explain a bit more once the game is over - but I've not been carried solely by Viking Werewolves and the Ninja Riders.

That said, they are very much a competetive nation who are easy to use. They don't really have traps like Jotunheim (where only the super-expensive giants are good and the rest are really, really bad despite still being expensive - use goblins to raid instead) or pass off troops in favour of national summons/astral (Bandar Log, R'lyeh to an extent). You should see what Mictlan can do - they get flying troops as well as the Jaguars (who are better than Skinshifters in most ways).

Sarigs
01-07-2012, 11:41 PM
And so the stalwart defenders in the last bastion of Ulm have been slain to a man. With grim determination not a single trooper fled the field and the time of the Star Smith has ended.

wedge99
02-07-2012, 02:28 AM
You guys starting a new game? I'd love to join if you have room. And if you have room for the hate, I also can't stand the skinshifters of Midgard. Bunch of smelly tools if you ask me.

Sarigs
02-07-2012, 09:35 AM
You guys starting a new game? I'd love to join if you have room. And if you have room for the hate, I also can't stand the skinshifters of Midgard. Bunch of smelly tools if you ask me.

I imagine they'll be a few about for another, I know Riadsala wanted to get in on this one but missed the start up. 3 Live games seems to be perfect for me as minimises turn time (Although annoying my 2 other games seem to have sychned!)

As a preference though I'd love to see a move with either AI pretenders or a much larger province per player set up as the last couple have been crammed which forces people into early wars. I'd love to see a RPS game survive into mid game/late game proper!

groovychainsaw
02-07-2012, 11:05 AM
I'd just like to point out I am still fighting, just not very effectively, but I'm not quite out yet. I have 2 tricks up my sleeves. Which probably will not work, if my other tricks are anything to go by, but you never know...

Also, Vanheim have no access to astral? How did you cripple my mages on my mind hunt spam so effectively? Am I (again...) missing something obvious here? I haven't tried again after losing 3 S4 mages on the last attempt.

Sarigs
02-07-2012, 11:29 AM
I'd just like to point out I am still fighting, just not very effectively, but I'm not quite out yet. I have 2 tricks up my sleeves. Which probably will not work, if my other tricks are anything to go by, but you never know...

I wasn't pre-empting anything was just saying they'll likely be another game afterwards :-P

Also, Vanheim have no access to astral? How did you cripple my mages on my mind hunt spam so effectively? Am I (again...) missing something obvious here? I haven't tried again after losing 3 S4 mages on the last attempt.

It's likely he's found at least one province that he has some indie mages with Astral access, Lizard mages immediately spring to mind as a fairly common one but I believe theirs Amazons and sages as well who may have the same. Considering he owns most of the land map I'd bet on that.

Mind hunt is devastation but swings back to doing harm then good once the enemy get Astrals spread about

groovychainsaw
02-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Thats ... probably true sarigs, and obvious, now that I think of it

lasikbear
02-07-2012, 05:28 PM
New game: Larger map/AI sounds good, I would like to try some of the 'Awesome' Series of mods, AwesomeGods and AwesomeEndgame both try to make some of the less used choices more interesting/fun. AwesomeGods especially tries to make a lot of the less used pretenders more viable and fun while Endgame focuses on adding better summons to the less used endgame paths.

I would be fine with CBM too, basically anything that keeps me from constantly thinking "I really ought to be just focusing of forging gem gens right now" all the time is nice, and I like the added fun stuff most of these come with.

Nullkigan
02-07-2012, 06:41 PM

It's a massive step up from how effective you were previously. You learn quickly. Were all those gladiators in that fort to begin with? I didn't see them approaching.

I too would be up for another game, especially once this one has finished.

Jarvis
02-07-2012, 09:04 PM
I'm down for another and in favour of things that add variety.

groovychainsaw
03-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Gladiators are mercs that only fight for one battle and then leave - but they cost very little, so I can rack up 100 or so very easily. I thought nets+tridents might be handy all of a sudden :-D. My angel did a much better job as a fighter rather than spellcaster, too (although I was hoping he'd get into your leaders, not just 1/2 way across the field, what with the wings etc.) so I have more plans for them now. I have bought myself some breathing space, but my mobility is still going to be an issue. I'll be going down fighting now, that's for sure.

Sarigs
03-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Gladiators are mercs that only fight for one battle and then leave - but they cost very little, so I can rack up 100 or so very easily. I thought nets+tridents might be handy all of a sudden :-D. My angel did a much better job as a fighter rather than spellcaster, too (although I was hoping he'd get into your leaders, not just 1/2 way across the field, what with the wings etc.) so I have more plans for them now. I have bought myself some breathing space, but my mobility is still going to be an issue. I'll be going down fighting now, that's for sure.

Very glad to hear it Pyth! Bleed them as he comes!