Jarvis: Man
lasikbear: Bandar Log
MasterBoo: R'lyeh
Nullkigan: Vanheim
riadsala: Jotunheim
Sarigs: Ulm

Nullkigan
24-01-2012, 12:21 AM
Oh lordy I got my least documented pick. It's not even turn 1 and I'm already winging it! Pretender'll be in some time tomorrow.

I think myself, Pan and Arco are the players who have no actual MP experience? This is going to get interesting.

(NB: My dropbox account seems to be registered to a different e-mail, but it added me anyway and should be obvious which one is me ;))

Sarigs
24-01-2012, 01:36 AM
I think so, though I will have to saw that my MP experience is summed up with "8 odd turns into my first ever game" so im not exactly a pro :-P

MasterBoo
24-01-2012, 06:56 AM
I added a folder called 'pretenders' to the dropbox folder, my pretender is already in :)

groovychainsaw
24-01-2012, 08:10 AM
I'll try to get my pretender made tonight. Also, in addition to my lack of mp experience, I have a lack of sp experience, toos.... There's going to be some excellent noob mistakes from me I fear :)

riadsala
24-01-2012, 09:34 AM
My experience consists of 35 turns from the other RPS game, and that's it. So I wouldn't be too worried.

Jarvis
24-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Oh lordy I got my least documented pick. It's not even turn 1 and I'm already winging it! Pretender'll be in some time tomorrow.I think myself, Pan and Arco are the players who have no actual MP experience? This is going to get interesting. (NB: My dropbox account seems to be registered to a different e-mail, but it added me anyway and should be obvious which one is me ;))Yep first game at all here though I've been reading up and running some tests.I'm regretting having pan in the shortlist though having run the tests, would people be okay with my changing to my first choice nation? (it isn't in play).If there's disagreement I'll still have a crack with pan of course.

Sarigs
24-01-2012, 10:26 AM
I've got no problem with you bumping down to what ever your 2nd or 3rd choice was Jarvis, bit harsh locking you into a nation that you dont get on with will just make it painful ;-) Plus I'm not a fan of the stealthy buggers! If anyone else has a objection let us know other wise let us know what your choices were

Jarvis
24-01-2012, 11:49 AM
I've got no problem with you bumping down to what ever your 2nd or 3rd choice was Jarvis, bit harsh locking you into a nation that you dont get on with will just make it painful ;-) Plus I'm not a fan of the stealthy buggers! If anyone else has a objection let us know other wise let us know what your choices werePan was second choice, r'leyh which I hope to move to was first choice.That first choice either clashed with someone else and we both got bumped down instead of one keeping it in which case I'd need their permission for it to be fair that I take r'leyh, or else it looks like we may all have had a random pick from our submited 3 and I should simply have done more testing of my choices.

Nullkigan
24-01-2012, 11:59 AM
My choices were Vanheim, T'ien Ch'i, Pythium. I think learning how to deal with the unexpected is part of the game, though.

riadsala
24-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Testing choices? What is this you talk of? Sounds like cheating to me!

Sarigs
24-01-2012, 01:12 PM
In the interest of full disclosure, I've never played with any of my 3 choices in either SP or MP, half the fun is far as I'm concerned is digging into a new nation, flailing about madly and hoping your stating scales will work out ok. :-)

If we can get some kind of concensus about whether people are either happy for Jarvis to:
A) Change to his 1st choice,
B) Change to his 3rd choice if not already taken
C) Lump it out as Pan

Really not keen on trying to force a nation on him he hasn't thought through and was clearly a error so I'll be judging everyone who votes on C :-P

Nullkigan
24-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Mathematically, I think 4 of us will have not had our first choice. That said, if Jotunheim was someone's second or third choice I'd be absolutely terrified to find out what their first choice was.

riadsala
24-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Mathematically, I think 4 of us will have not had our first choice. That said, if Jotunheim was someone's second or third choice I'd be absolutely terrified to find out what their first choice was.

why? I hope this means that Jotunheim are a good strong side :)

Sarigs
24-01-2012, 03:04 PM
why? I hope this means that Jotunheim are a good strong side :)

yeah I hate all of the giant races :-)

riadsala
24-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Oh, and as far as changing nation, I *think* that Jarvis should just lump it, but I *vote* that he can do whatever he likes, as it's meant to be fun after all.

I guess I favour Sargis' "work things out as you go along" strategy :) And in the end of the day, the outcome of the game will likely be down to diplomacy as much as which nation you pick.

riadsala
24-01-2012, 03:08 PM
yeah I hate all of the giant races :-)

what has a giant ever done to you? eh?

Nullkigan
24-01-2012, 03:10 PM
Jotunheim infantry are mostly giants. Giants are very powerful, if expensive. They'll have an excellent early game thanks to the strong armies, lose a bit of steam mid game (where the price of each Giant means that they can fall behind a little on research and multi-province fronts) and given the early conquests, a reasonably strong end game.

For the record, I don't mind Jarvis changing it's just that I'm in a similar situation with regards to T'ien Ch'i / Vanheim as he is with Pan / Rl'yeh, and I suspect there'll be at least one other player like that too?

Pan are actually reasonably tough with their Centaurs, Panii, etc, and have really stong nature magic which can lead to some good summons. For myself, T'ien have reasonable (if a little weak) magic diversity and can be quite powerful defensively.

riadsala
24-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Jotunheim infantry are mostly giants. Giants are very powerful, if expensive. They'll have an excellent early game thanks to the strong armies, lose a bit of steam mid game (where the price of each Giant means that they can fall behind a little on research and multi-province fronts) and given the early conquests, a reasonably strong end game.

For the record, I don't mind Jarvis changing it's just that I'm in a similar situation with regards to T'ien Ch'i / Vanheim as he is with Pan / Rl'yeh, and I suspect there'll be at least one other player like that too?

Pan are actually reasonably tough with their Centaurs, Panii, etc, and have really stong nature magic which can lead to some good summons. For myself, T'ien have reasonable (if a little weak) magic diversity and can be quite powerful defensively.

Well, I've never played with them before. Or any race of giants :-) So i doubt i'll be much of a menace!

You sound very knowledgable for somebody claiming to be a n00b .

Sarigs
24-01-2012, 03:41 PM

Well Jarvis the majority view appears to be that you should man up and ride out the randomness but no one is gonna complain if its a deal breaker for you and you really must change!

I'd be remiss if I didn't bring your attention to this thread (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=38122) over on the Dominion 3 forum which gives some basic strats for the different nations. While I like to experiment a bit, having absolutely no clear as to your nation can lead to some game breaking bad decision while designing your pretender. (I'm referring to absolutely screwing your self by picking the wrong kind of order/slough scales for your troop types)

Funnily enough the game I'm playing atm I got randomed T'ien as well and frankly their pretty gnarly, spreading free PD, decent enough infantry, great calvalry and more mage types then you can shake a stick at. Very good :-)

Nullkigan
24-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Cav? I need to do more research then.

riadsala
24-01-2012, 05:16 PM
I'd be remiss if I didn't bring your attention to this thread (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=38122) over on the Dominion 3 forum which gives some basic strats for the different nations.

Jotunheim is arguably the weakest race of giants ... In general, giants have low offensive power due to their large size and small numbers, and they are easily swarmed. Jotunheim's PD is quite weak for this reason. Unlike Niefelheim, the Jotunheim giants do not have a chill aura, so you cannot rely on area effects to do the killing for you

:( wimpy giants! I guess even wimpy giants are better then little men :p

Jarvis
24-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Alright then, pang it is the god will be in the folder shortly.

riadsala
24-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Noob question: how do I put my pretender in the drobox folder?

Jarvis
24-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Looks like about half the file linked in the other thread will be relevant for all of us.

PART II: SETTING UP THE GAME

6. Folder locations. Your folder will be named "dominions3" and it will be located wherever you installed it. I would recommend making
a desktop shortcut to its location. As host, you will be accessing this folder with great regularity. Inside this folder are a few
important sub-folders:
* dominions3/maps This folder is where your map files will be located. Once you've downloaded or created a map, there will be two
files, suffixed with .map and .rgb. You will need to share these with every player when you set up the game, so remember where
they're stored.
* dominions3/savedgames/newlords This is where pretender god files are saved. You, the host, will need everyone's pretender files.
Their save format looks like era_faction_0.2h (and that last number depends on which pretender number they're giving you. It will
always end in .2h, but it may appear as 1.2h if it's their second god for that era and faction, or as 2.2h if it's their third,
etc.). So a person's second attempt at an Early-Era god of Yomi would appear as early_yomi_1.2h.
* dominions3/savedgames/"gamename" "gamename" refers to whatever you name the game. Your folder will be automatically created when
you set up the game, and its name will be whatever you name the game when you set it up. Everyone else will have to be instructed
to create a similarly-named folder in their dominions3/savedgames folder.

7. Factions and Pretenders. Make sure everyone has chosen a faction from a different nation of the same era (unless using All Eras mod).
They must now all design a Pretender for their chosen faction and submit it to you. You will take their pretender files and place them
in your dominions3/savedgames/newlords folder. It's a good idea to tell them to put a password on their pretender so that nobody
else will be able to access their turn file.

8. Create the game. This is the same as creating a game in single-player.
* Start at the main menu ingame
* Select "Create a New Game"
* Enter the game name (this will be the name of the game folder created in the dominions3/savedgames folder)
* Select the proper era
* Add the proper number of players, choose their nations, make sure they're human/AI controlled as appropriate, then click "Ok"
* Each human-controlled team will now appear in succession. For each, select "Load Pretender God" and click the name of the pretender
that the player submitted to you.
* Adjust the Game Settings, then click "Ok"
* The game is created!

PART III: PLAYING THE GAME

9. The First Turn. In order to take their first turn, everyone is going to need a pile of files. They will need to create a folder in
dominions3/savedgames to house these files. It's best if this folder is named "gamename" (no spaces). They will each need five files
from you, which they will place in this new folder.
* mapname.map >
* mapname.rgb > These two files should be placed in their dominions3/maps folder
* ftherlnd This is a universal map-state file. It should be placed in their dominions3/savedgames/"gamename" folder.
* era_nation.2h >
* era_nation.trn > After the first turn, these two files (.2h and .trn) are the only two that will need exchanging.

10. Exchange Turns. When they complete their turns, the players should submit their .2h file (.2h stands for "to host") to you, usually
via DropBox or email. Once you have all turns, you may access the game in the same manner you would access any single-player game.
If a player's turn file is in and has worked, there will be a tic mark next to their nation's name. Click "host" to process the turns.
You will then send them the updated .trn files for their nations (.trn stands for "turn"). Once everything has been set up, this is
as hard as it gets! Repeat for every turn.

11. ???

12. Prophet!

Nullkigan
24-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Pretender submitted. I had a last minute change of heart on my build so this is going to go poorly to say the least.

The Innocent
25-01-2012, 07:31 AM
Just a quick addendum to that doc Jarvis posted (specifically section 6), map files will usually be labelled .map and .rgb, but sometimes there will be other file types. Suffice it to say there will be an image file and a data file. They'll both have the same name, just different file extensions.

Jarvis
25-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Just remade my god to add a password.

riadsala
26-01-2012, 10:06 AM
So are we good to go?

Sarigs
26-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Um...we will be as soon as I stop being forced to work long hours :-/ I believe all I need to do now is do my pretender pick a map (I've alrdy random generated a few that look suitable so no probs there) and actually set up the game. I set a deadline of end of play Thursday so I'm technically not breaking it.....

I'm working till 7 tonight, will get home about 9, will throw together the first pretender that looks half way likely, random pick one of the maps I have and process the game and dump files in dropbox by 10 with any luck.

If you haven't already please make sure your familar with this extract from The Innocent's awesomely helpful guide:

PART III: PLAYING THE GAME

9. The First Turn. In order to take their first turn, everyone is going to need a pile of files. They will need to create a folder in
dominions3/savedgames to house these files. It's best if this folder is named "gamename" (no spaces). They will each need five files
from you, which they will place in this new folder.
* mapname.map >
* mapname.rgb > These two files should be placed in their dominions3/maps folder
* ftherlnd This is a universal map-state file. It should be placed in their dominions3/savedgames/"gamename" folder.
* era_nation.2h >
* era_nation.trn > After the first turn, these two files (.2h and .trn) are the only two that will need exchanging.

10. Exchange Turns. When they complete their turns, the players should submit their .2h file (.2h stands for "to host") to you, usually
via DropBox or email. Once you have all turns, you may access the game in the same manner you would access any single-player game.
If a player's turn file is in and has worked, there will be a tic mark next to their nation's name. Click "host" to process the turns.
You will then send them the updated .trn files for their nations (.trn stands for "turn"). Once everything has been set up, this is
as hard as it gets! Repeat for every turn.

11. ???

12. Prophet!

And while we're on the subject I'd like to give a massive thank you to The Innocent for all the help.

AND to everyone else I will not be this tardy (even if technically still in the within the deadline) once the game is set up....just a wretched, wretched week at work :-)

Sarigs
26-01-2012, 10:34 PM
The Files! They are posted!

25 minutes earlier then promised!

Nullkigan
26-01-2012, 10:48 PM
9. The First Turn. In order to take their first turn, everyone is going to need a pile of files. They will need to create a folder in dominions3/savedgames to house these files. It's best if this folder is named "gamename" (no spaces). They will each need five filesfrom you, which they will place in this new folder.
* mapname.map >
* era_nation.2h >

I'm only seeing YOUR files on dropbox ;)

Jarvis
26-01-2012, 10:49 PM
I see the ftherland file but no map files.

Sarigs
26-01-2012, 11:35 PM
Umm.....

*cough*
Take two!

The files! They are loaded! This time with extra checking!

Nullkigan
27-01-2012, 12:06 AM
Much better. Jarvis is eager, his turn went straight in.

I'm making a .pdn (paint dot net, I don't have photoshop) of the map for easy use in blog posts, etc. Anyone want a copy?

Sarigs
27-01-2012, 01:04 AM
Hey Nulkigan, I wouldn't mind one mate, could you dump a copy in the drop box main and then any one can snag it? :-)

Nullkigan
27-01-2012, 01:37 AM
When I've finished it, sure. ATM I'm doing layers so it's easy to overlay holdings, but I might look into expanding it with connection markers for provinces. It's not going to be perfect, but it should be good enough for visualisation purposes.

Unit renaming has been disabled, so you are all spared the declaration that Bruce Lee is my prophet.

Sarigs
27-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Ah Crap I diddn't even see that option! Not disabled on purpose!

Nullkigan
27-01-2012, 01:31 PM
I'm kind of leery of sharing this full-fat version of the map because it *will* be useful to you all. It highlights the funnier provincial connections. On the other hand that sort of thing isn't something you'd watch out for unless you knew it was coming. Yes, there are several provinces where you can walk through tiny boundaries, over mountains and through lakes. Yes, there are also a couple where you can't walk from woodland to plains (35/45). The map generator is a bit funny like that.

http://www.herosquad.org/null/turn000_image000_map_thumb.jpg (http://www.herosquad.org/null/turn000_image000_map.jpg)
(click for bigger)

There's a .pdn and a .psd (from an exporter plugin I found) in the /maps dir on dropbox. Both should have layers so you can easily shade known territories. No guarentees, etc.

If you have any spare change or intel at the end of your turns I'm sure the Imperial Cartographers would appreciate it.

Fun fact: there are only three possible starting provinces for C'tis.

Sarigs
27-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Ah but which one Nulligan? Which one?!

Fun fact the 2nd: All you bases are soon to be diseased and belong to me.

And for everyone else who is unsure what's Nulligan clue is about C'tis stage in marsh type terrain so as there's only 3 marshes = only 3 possible location for me to start.

MasterBoo
27-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Oh I really like my position.
Good luck all (AKA die).

Nullkigan
27-01-2012, 01:46 PM
I'd postulate that the game will start most players near the edges of the map, so that reduces it to two :)

Sarigs
27-01-2012, 01:57 PM
I'd postulate that the game will start most players near the edges of the map, so that reduces it to two :)

......You know too much...you must be silenced....

Nullkigan
27-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Actually I double checked and all three swamps are within 1 province of the edge of the map so I was wrong :(

Sarigs
27-01-2012, 02:29 PM
Then I will allow you to live for the moment!

riadsala
27-01-2012, 04:54 PM
oooh, and we're off. Good luck everybody, play nice :p

Sarigs
27-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Right FYI here's what I'm planning on doing with files/dropbox.

when I process a turn I will turn the generated .trn files into THE MAIN FOLDER not a sub folder. So straight off the bat they should be there. I'll make a Archive folder where I will turn the previous turn files. There no reason to be poking round in there and it'll just be in case I mess up process a turn or something and I can wind the clock back a turn etc. (Thats the theary) There will also be a "Turn 1" fold which I shall try to rename every turn. Thats where people should dump there .2h files.

That way I know where everything is. I shall delete the .trn files once I have the .2h file so we can see who is missing their turn. Hopefully that'll keep things from getting too complicated as we go along.

I'll process the turns when I get home tonight, may be a bit on the late side as I'm going via the pub! Over the weekends and while it's early I'll try to process the turns same day the last file is submitted so we can tick along at a decent speed until our empires get big enough to make everything worth thinking about

Nullkigan
27-01-2012, 05:26 PM
Just a note that I'll need a few hours before my next turn; I'm still writing up turn one.

riadsala
27-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Just a note that I'll need a few hours before my next turn; I'm still writing up turn one.

Ha.

Here's my turn 1:
make scout a prophet
set Pretender to research
buy a handful of new troops.
done

:0)

Nullkigan
27-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Ha.

Here's my turn 1:
make scout a prophet
set Pretender to research
buy a handful of new troops.
done

:0)

I'm trying to write it so someone who isn't completely familiar with the game can figure out what I'm doing. Otherwise my list would be even shorter than yours :(

Sarigs
27-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Well I have a potential middle term plan. I've no idea if it will work or pay off though lol

MasterBoo
27-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Are we planning to RP through the in-game messages?

riadsala
27-01-2012, 07:28 PM
I'm trying to write it so someone who isn't completely familiar with the game can figure out what I'm doing. Otherwise my list would be even shorter than yours :(

Ah. Why not save yourself the trouble and point any new people in this direction: http://lparchive.org/Dominions-3/
That's where I learnt nearly everything I know about this game. Well written, informative, etc :)

Nullkigan
27-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Yeah, I've added that to my intro.

5.5k words got me through that, pretender design and the first turn. Brevity is not my strong point.

Are we planning to RP through the in-game messages?

A little can't hurt, but I don't think we really need to imagine we're Dragons out to conquer the world. Stuff like signing off as a nation instead of as a player, maybe?

Sarigs
28-01-2012, 12:21 AM
New turns are up! Unless I've cocked it up again!

Nullkigan
28-01-2012, 12:32 AM
Seems to be working for me. I'd forgotten Abysia had assassins.

MasterBoo
28-01-2012, 11:00 AM
I'd forgotten Abysia had assassins.

Hmmmm? ಠ_ಠ (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=%E0%B2%A0_%E0%B2%A0)

Nullkigan
28-01-2012, 11:49 AM
> Abysia has declared X the Slayer to be their prophet
> Look up Abysian Slayer on servegame wiki
> ... time to hire body guards

:D

Nullkigan
30-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Groovy, do you require assistance?

groovychainsaw
30-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the offer Null, but i've just been 'away' for the last couple of days - i've popped my turn back in now, hopefully.

Sarigs
30-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Turns processed like a boss as promised. Dead line for next turn is..04-02-2012 or when ever everyone is done!

Sarigs
30-01-2012, 10:26 PM
They are processed! Once again grab your file and dump your completed .2h file into Turn 3 folder. Deadline is 04-02-2012 or when ever they're in!

Nullkigan
01-02-2012, 12:45 AM
I have this uneasy feeling that despite the width and height of the map we have at least four guys tightly packed into just one small part of the map...

riadsala
01-02-2012, 09:49 AM
I have this uneasy feeling that despite the width and height of the map we have at least four guys tightly packed into just one small part of the map...

I have bad feeling that you may be right.

Sarigs
01-02-2012, 10:41 AM
I have bad feeling that you may be right.

Me too I'm seeing enemy Dominion already and we're only a couple of turn in, think this may end up a shortish game where we have 4 or 5 people scrapping out for space before we suddenly see a huge Empire invade in from the western quarters.

groovychainsaw
01-02-2012, 10:56 AM
From the west? But... that's...but... hmm. I thought I was doing well with my core focus until i looked at the graphs and saw everyone else proceeding exactly as well as me. I've being seeing enemy dominion since turn 2 (is it you, Sarigs?). Its a new acquisition target for me :-D. Mwahahahah!

On the other hand, there seems to be some space nearby I could expand into, if only the AI hadn't decided to reinforce it with a large force of heavy cavalry (/shakes fist at AI).

/Continues his preparation. To lose horribly...

Nullkigan
01-02-2012, 11:45 AM
I am certain there will be contact next turn, I just moved an army into enemy dominion trying to secure my borders.

Sarigs
01-02-2012, 12:10 PM
From the west? But... that's...but... hmm. I thought I was doing well with my core focus until i looked at the graphs and saw everyone else proceeding exactly as well as me. I've being seeing enemy dominion since turn 2 (is it you, Sarigs?). Its a new acquisition target for me :-D. Mwahahahah!

On the other hand, there seems to be some space nearby I could expand into, if only the AI hadn't decided to reinforce it with a large force of heavy cavalry (/shakes fist at AI).

/Continues his preparation. To lose horribly...

Hmmm could be...I do have some heavy cavalry staring across by border.

I am certain there will be contact next turn, I just moved an army into enemy dominion trying to secure my borders.

Whelp lets let the raiding being. I'm gonna be coming at the first guy appearing on my border like a buzzard :-)

riadsala
01-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Hmmm could be...I do have some heavy cavalry staring across by border.

Whelp lets let the raiding being. I'm gonna be coming at the first guy appearing on my border like a buzzard :-)

Can't we just all get along?

I suppose that would make for a rather dull game.

Sarigs
01-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Can't we just all get along?

Fraid not, the way of the buzzard demands raiding followed by hasty apologises and playing dead as soon as a enemy army is spotted. Regardless of size or make up. Plus I'm against the eastern edge of the map so if people insist on boxing me in rather then grabbing territory on their other side I really don't have much option ;-)

Seriously though who is going to fess up to being the god who get to kick back and enjoy the peace and relative quiet of the western half of the map?

MasterBoo
01-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Haven't seen anyone yet.. >whistles<

Sarigs
01-02-2012, 09:12 PM
haven't seen anyone yet.. >whistles<

.......get 'im lads!

Also next turn up!

Nullkigan
01-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Hoo boy.

I suddenly recall what I said in the last thread.

Jarvis
01-02-2012, 10:53 PM
The problem with moving away from your enemy is the potential to suddenly find them right next to your capital.

The map generator's done a truely evil thing.

Nullkigan
01-02-2012, 11:25 PM
It could have quite happily spaced us out along the northern and southern edges with plenty of room but noooooo...

J.B.
02-02-2012, 12:47 AM
Fight! Fight! Fight!

groovychainsaw
02-02-2012, 10:16 AM
I really need to log in and find out what's happening... Is it me - has anyone found my ELEPHANT ARMY yet? :-)

Nullkigan
02-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Elephantitis is involved, but no pachyderms have been sighted as far as I know.

groovychainsaw
02-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Awww, shoot. I was so hoping they'd stumbled into somewhere. Must log on and do some stomping tonight :-)

Sarigs
04-02-2012, 07:24 PM
New turn files uploaded!

Nullkigan
04-02-2012, 07:44 PM
New turn files uploaded!

Wrong folder, again? :)

Sarigs
04-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Lies! All the files are there I tell ye!

riadsala
05-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Something funny has happened with the files... you didn't process any of my orders last turn. I'm very confused.

Sarigs
06-02-2012, 12:00 AM
Eh? Has anyone else had this problem? I can try and go back to the archieve turns and redo, see if that works?

MasterBoo
06-02-2012, 07:27 AM
My turns was fine, I don't mind redoing it but we need to backup everything and ensure it works (I had problems with rolling back in the back).

Sarigs
06-02-2012, 09:42 AM
Hmmm I think I have back ups of everyone's turns except for mine..... Riadsala can you try and redownload your turn and try once more on the off chance. I've un-deleted it so it's back in the Dropbox folder, if not....I'll have to have a think :-)

riadsala
06-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Hmmm I think I have back ups of everyone's turns except for mine..... Riadsala can you try and redownload your turn and try once more on the off chance. I've un-deleted it so it's back in the Dropbox folder, if not....I'll have to have a think :-)

Cheers, I'll have a look this evening.

riadsala
06-02-2012, 06:03 PM

I get the same thing... the only thing in my inbox is a proclemation. All my orders have vanished.

Do you think it would be possible to re-process turn 5? I can reupload my 2h file? Maybe it got screwed up at my end?

Sarigs
06-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Hey dude, I've upload the original file in case something went wrong. I'm gonna have to try and figure out how I can reprocess the turn. I backed up everyone's turns except mine which means we would end up outta since, not sure how I can double back due to this eh....oversight!

Nullkigan
06-02-2012, 08:14 PM
Take a deep breath before posting/uploading/etc :P

You mean 'synch' not 'since', right?

If you reprocess then the current turn becomes invalid for everyone, going double for the orders already put in by Arco and Abysia.
If you did reprocess and continued then as your (the host's) game would use the new reality everyone else would have synch issues, probably losing their next turn? (??? everyone would have to use the new turn files to fix this)
You can't reprocess because your own old turns weren't backed up

There's no way around #3.

riadsala
06-02-2012, 08:42 PM

If you reprocess then the current turn becomes invalid for everyone, going double for the orders already put in by Arco and Abysia.
If you did reprocess and continued then as your (the host's) game would use the new reality everyone else would have synch issues, probably losing their next turn? (??? everyone would have to use the new turn files to fix this)

Dropbox automatically keeps hold of everything though does it not? I'm puzzled as to what has happened... did I somehow manage to submit a turn with no orders in it? Seems a strange thing for me to do.

Nullkigan
06-02-2012, 08:46 PM
There are certain events that can override your orders (iirc), but you should usually get messages about being interrupted.

It's possible Sarigs failed to copy your turn over correctly? His own turns are the ones not backed up because they don't need to go through drop box.

Sarigs
06-02-2012, 09:51 PM

Aye this. The files I processed are definitely the right ones. I take all 5 files from drop box as a bulk file and extract all 5 to the save folder in one go.
I suppose it's possible you may have gone back into the turn and micclicked redo from start or submitted a previous turn

Edit: And FYI I'll be sure to back up my turn file as well going forward!

riadsala
06-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Aye this. The files I processed are definitely the right ones. I take all 5 files from drop box as a bulk file and extract all 5 to the save folder in one go.
I suppose it's possible you may have gone back into the turn and micclicked redo from start or submitted a previous turn

I guess that's me buggered up my opening then.

Oh well

MasterBoo
07-02-2012, 08:52 AM
I am okay skipping 1 turn so we will all be on the same level (if everyone besides riadsala agree to do so as well).

Jarvis
07-02-2012, 09:16 AM
It seems a bit meaner now but as per a message I sent him I'm sending raiding partys riadsala's way to cause unrest and preach against his domain until I get a gold payment, at which point they'll wander elsewhere.

riadsala
07-02-2012, 10:09 AM
It seems a bit meaner now but as per a message I sent him I'm sending raiding partys riadsala's way to cause unrest and preach against his domain until I get a gold payment, at which point they'll wander elsewhere.

And the orders I put in to deal with this and counter attack appear to have vanished in fine air.

As we're only on turn 5, one solution would be to just start again? If we can all be online at the same time, we could go the first 5 turns in half an hour.

Otherwise, I guess I just unhappily lump it.

Sarigs
07-02-2012, 10:34 AM
And the orders I put in to deal with this and counter attack appear to have vanished in fine air.

As we're only on turn 5, one solution would be to just start again? If we can all be online at the same time, we could go the first 5 turns in half an hour.

Otherwise, I guess I just unhappily lump it.

I think it comes down to this: Has this error screwed you over? If it is going to shape your game for the next X turns then frankly I'm in favour of starting over and either speeding through a bunch of times if we can get everyone online at the same time one evening/weekend or maybe doing a few days of 1 turn per day (Early game realistically only takes a ten minutes or so to do a turn)

We're early enough to cut and run/start over so if you can give us a answer we can go from there. This is clearly a file error or mistake by riadsala followed by my cock up of not backing up my own file so we can't roll back. Fairs fair.

So speaketh the host.

Having said that if anyone one has any other realistic or fair ideas let us know.

Nullkigan
07-02-2012, 11:20 AM
I've got 12.2k words written about the current game so far, but I guess we could go for a restart. We could even canvas for additional players again.

The majority of time taken so far has been down to negotiations rather than playing.

Without knowing what Riadsala planned to do I can't say how badly he was affected by the missed turn. I could speculate, but that'd be unfair to him and give others an advantage if I'm right. I'm not convinced that it's a significant factor in the longer term, however. Certainly, I've made a couple of mistakes that amount to skipping 1.5 turns (plus other negative side effects).

I could agree to the rest of us skipping a turn if that's how the wind is blowing, however.

Sarigs
07-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Okie-Doke:

Let's put this down to a vote:

Option A) Everyone other then Riadsala submits a "empty turn" ie no orders. Riadsala can take his turn as normal but should NOT attack other players as he can see other armys and they will be unable to withdraw/reinforce. Of course there is no way of knowing if a empty turn has been submitted as we won't know if recruiting has taken place, stealthers moved etc other then the graphs which I can't remember if I enabled or not :-/ We shall just have to trust everyone not to be scummy about it.

Option B) We dump the game and see if any other players want to join and then restart. This would be the longest option as if we have new players would involve new map, new pretenders and new nation picks.

Option C) Dump the game immediately restart same map/nations and try to cane through some turns and make up for last option.

Option D - Open to Riadsala only) If your prepared to take it on the chin and just keep on playing taking the lost turn if your stride then you will be awesome and declared King of the Early Game.

And Nullkigan I think it's more a issue that due to us being clumped up and jostling with eachother we have limited space and are already on each others borders. Missing a turn means province/space/cut off and from what Jarvis suggested it's already kicking off so could be quite a affect.

groovychainsaw
07-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Well, I'd rather submit an empty turn instead of restarting, so A), i guess. The graphs are on, so I guess we could see if anything changed significantly for anyone, but I'd like to think RPS types are trustworthy, anyways ;-)

I guess for doing A, I'd need to reload the file from dropbox (after it had been refreshed from 'history'? I don't think I have a backup!), then in game 'end turn' and submit a new 'turn 5' back to dropbox.

Sarigs
07-02-2012, 02:37 PM
Well, I'd rather submit an empty turn instead of restarting, so A), i guess. The graphs are on, so I guess we could see if anything changed significantly for anyone, but I'd like to think RPS types are trustworthy, anyways ;-)

I guess for doing A, I'd need to reload the file from dropbox (after it had been refreshed from 'history'? I don't think I have a backup!), then in game 'end turn' and submit a new 'turn 5' back to dropbox.

Aye pretty much I can always re-upload the blank turn file, then download, start turn click end turn and upload again!

MasterBoo
07-02-2012, 04:05 PM
The most crippling effect of missing a turn is losing mercenaries turns, and according to what I saw most of us use them.
I'm up to any option (abstained! :P)

riadsala
07-02-2012, 05:57 PM
Well, I'd vote for restarting... and trying to all get online at the same point. Surely most of Nullkigan's words can be reused?

But if this doesn't get unaminous approval, we might as well just carry on as usual. Anything else is a bit of a fudge really. I won't be happy about it, but I won't be happy about a lot of things in this game (back stabbing, losing wars). I can just treat it as a bad random event.

It does mean I'll scrap plans for writting up my own AAR for the game though. Had to feel motivated to edit all the bloody screenshots when the game opening messes up.

Jarvis
07-02-2012, 06:52 PM
For selfish reason's i'm a fan of option B, i'd still like to pick another nation even though i'm happier then I was with Pangaea having formed what I think is viable mid-game plan.

I also think the more players in the game the merrier which is another point in option B.

Run off preference is option C - hopefully the computer will spread us out more which will better reflect what we all intended when we picked the number of provinces in the first place (looking at the modding of maps it's possible that we can actually encourage this to happen via setting certain provinces as starting places while still being random as to who exactly occupies that spot).

Then finally i'd pick option A above just asking Riadsala to lump it, though again I have to in fairness say I think this option will actually aid me very slighty against a nearby neighbour (unavoidablely:- finances and time). (details provided when they no longer matter.)

Nullkigan
07-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Well, I'd vote for restarting... and trying to all get online at the same point. Surely most of Nullkigan's words can be reused?

True, that. Although I did post one or two thousand words picking apart all your builds (fun fact: the only one I was able to verify I got wrong). Plus a section in every post where I explain that OH GOD THIS WAS SUCH A MISTAKE I AM GOING TO DIE. Number one mistake: writing a DAR (during action report) at all. Especially as it's publicly viewable. Number two? Pretender.

It does mean I'll scrap plans for writting up my own AAR for the game though. Had to feel motivated to edit all the bloody screenshots when the game opening messes up.

I was mostly doing text with a couple of summary images; first battle, what the messages screen looks like, that sort of thing. The most important part to convey is the positioning of forces and control of provinces. Hence why I made a layered map. Which is now an almost illegible mess because of all the little icons I added, but whatever. Not having to edit masses of screenshots at once is part of why I've been doing it during the game at all.

---

As one of the two players to have successfully invested in mercenaries (the other being Jotunheim itself) and having plans to move the hell out of Jotunheim's way, A) probably negatively affects me the most, but I don't care enough to object. I see your schemes, Pan.

I'm slightly inclined to go with the restart-&-add-others option because it's more fun, but I'd provisio that with the first few turns being done "quickfire" in a steam chatroom or somesuch. I'll even install an irc client again if I really had to. We could also look into a dedicated hosting service just in case this issue was caused by loading the wrong mods (i.e. none). Connecting to a network game tries to load the right ones automatically, I think. And processes turns as soon as they're all in instead of whenever the host is back from work ;) Or else I'm completely misunderstanding what the Matryx and Dom3Minions sites are for?

We should, however, probably agree upfront that any more mistakes simply stick.

Sarigs
07-02-2012, 08:14 PM
Right so we've got 1 abstain and 3 restarts and 1 skip done, considering the numbers my vote doesn't hold any sway so it looks like we're in favour or starting, seeing if any more players want to join and then trying to rapid fire some turns.

Does anyone want to take over hosting considering the mess I've made? ;-)

Nullkigan
07-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Don't take my ribbings about delays and late-night misclicks too hard, I'm just an unemployed layabout. Hopefully soon to be employed and thus not entirely suitable for taking over the role either...

Sarigs
07-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Don't take my ribbings about delays and late-night misclicks too hard, I'm just an unemployed layabout. Hopefully soon to be employed and thus not entirely suitable for taking over the role either...

Hey it was one delay....and a lot of misclicks! :-P

I don't mind continuing to host, I'll make sure I back up and if I misclick I get reminders everytime someone pokes the thread so it's quickly fixed. I'll put a host in the other Dominion thread and see if anyone else wants to join in

riadsala
07-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Just wanting to make clear here: I don't mind (too much) if we just carry on. Wouldn't want anybody being annoyed about it.

If we do restart, I like the idea of using an auto-host, if it's doable.

Sarigs
07-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Just wanting to make clear here: I don't mind (too much) if we just carry on. Wouldn't want anybody being annoyed about it.

If we do restart, I like the idea of using an auto-host, if it's doable.

I have a embarassingly small about of technical know-how so if anyone know how to sort a auto-host then make it so!

Jarvis
08-02-2012, 12:16 AM
As one of the two players to have successfully invested in mercenaries (the other being Jotunheim itself) and having plans to move the hell out of Jotunheim's way, A) probably negatively affects me the most, but I don't care enough to object. I see your schemes, Pan.

Pffft, which of my many schemes did you see? I sent you the copy of the letter I sent riadsala, given what I said to you and your lack of reply to me i'm certain you egged him on not to pay me gold and were planning on getting fat on the conflict between us.

I'm also fairly sure neither of you know where my capital is.

riadsala
08-02-2012, 12:23 AM
Pffft, which of my many schemes did you see? I sent you the copy of the letter I sent riadsala, given what I said to you and your lack of reply to me i'm certain you egged him on not to pay me gold and were planning on getting fat on the conflict between us.

I'm also fairly sure neither of you know where my capital is.

I was planning on beating you at your own game :)

Nullkigan
08-02-2012, 12:23 AM
I did not advise Jotunheim on how to deal with you, nor did I pass out a copy of the letter to any other players.

I have your capital down to two provinces at 50/50; if Jotunheim knows where it is or has seen your border then probably 75/25 (not that Jotunheim ever said anything beyond "Pan is blackmailing me").

I could reveal what I had seen through, but that would a) be premature, we haven't restarted yet and b) make me more of a threat in the next game. Assuming I'm right.

Edit: http://www.llamaserver.net/ seems to be something like what we're looking for? We still need a nominal host, but only for kicking things along.

Per the guidance:
- Anyone is welcome to create a new LlamaServer game. If you just want to make a small game for you and your friend, go ahead

I think Tenjou Utena, who sometimes visits this forum, also knows a bit about automated hosting. I can try to track him down?

Sadly, whilst Gandalf Parker has put together an excellent guide and set of example bash scripts for hosting games that level of scripting would require two dozen hours to get my head around and is probably beyond the spare resources on my VPS anyway.

groovychainsaw
08-02-2012, 11:25 AM
I'd just like to add that I'm happy with restarting, too, I don't have a strong opinion (although I did like my starting position, in contrast to your conflicts :-)). It would maybe be worth laying down some (light!) rules so we can ensure this doesn't happen again or we know what the deal is if we do (and obviously keeping a history of the last 3 turns makes sense). It could be a good idea after the restart to get everyone on at the same time to bash through 5-10 turns. I''ll just add that I'm away this friday and saturday if it comes along that quickly...

Jarvis
08-02-2012, 07:55 PM
I did not advise Jotunheim on how to deal with you, nor did I pass out a copy of the letter to any other players.

I have your capital down to two provinces at 50/50; if Jotunheim knows where it is or has seen your border then probably 75/25 (not that Jotunheim ever said anything beyond "Pan is blackmailing me").

I could reveal what I had seen through, but that would a) be premature, we haven't restarted yet and b) make me more of a threat in the next game. Assuming I'm right.

It'll be interesting to see how close you were when we get restarting properly rolling.

On the map aspect though I'm figureing that if we do get more players we'll be using a new one any way in order to keep the same province / player ratio.

I'm definately up for trying to organize a quick session going or perhaps a tightening of the turn limits for awhile? (so a 2 or 3 day turn around till we hit turn 10 for example).

lasikbear
08-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Hey guys, sorry to hear about your bad luck with hosting, I would be interested in joining attempt 2. Not sure how you plan on doing nation selection but I would be cool if y'all are partial to keeping your previous picks/taking priority over new people. Any idea as to when you plan on starting the new game?

MasterBoo
08-02-2012, 09:10 PM
I actually want to try a different nation, try one of my other picks :P

Nullkigan
08-02-2012, 09:55 PM
I haven't really decided if I need to change nation picks yet, but if I end up with TC again I definitely need to do something about my pretender design.

The Innocent
08-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Well, that's a shame. Sorry it didn't work out for you guys!

Jarvis
08-02-2012, 11:11 PM

We're not finished - we're resetting, I was going to mail you shortly to see if you'd help us ensure a fair pick on nations again.

Nullkigan
08-02-2012, 11:17 PM
Although this time it'd be nice to know if it's a d3 or order of preference in advance...

Jarvis
08-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Although this time it'd be nice to know if it's a d3 or order of preference in advance...

This I agree with and am voting for the order of preference version.

Sarigs
09-02-2012, 12:55 AM

Ah well no one is dropping out and we were only in turn 5 when struck my a "someone things gone wrong for one of the guys" followed by "crap I backed up all the saves apart from mine which is effectively the same as not backing up any of them" we shall re-group, recruit and blunder forth once more, this time with extra backing up!

And Laskibear we dont have a definite restart point, but it will be soonish, we're just seeing if other people want to join and if so re-doing picks etc from scratch :-)

MasterBoo
09-02-2012, 07:19 AM
This I agree with and am voting for the order of preference version.

Same, I had in mind we were doing preference back then :)

The Innocent
09-02-2012, 07:37 AM
Sorry, misspoke. I know you guys are doing another attempt. I just meant that it's too bad this game didn't work out. It happens now and then with Dom3. In one of my current ongoing games (Sarigs will know what I'm talking about) we just had a pair of problems. Dom3 is one of the most expansive games I've ever played, but sometimes it has a mind of its own. Some stuff, like backing up files, can really help, but not always.

@Jarvis

I'd be happy to help with picking nations again, and I'll go with whatever style of nation-picking you guys want.

For clarity's sake, last time I did a system where I looked at everyone's preferred picks and first crossed out any overlap (so for instance, if two people wanted Ermor, it got scratched). Then I picked based on a random die roll. The exception was that one of you had picked three nations that others had picked, and in that instance I just rolled to pick between all his choices. But of course, if you guys need me to help pick factions again, I can go with whatever you want.

Jarvis
09-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Excellent, cheers then Innocent.

So my suggestion in full then is that everyone submits their picks 1-3 everyones 1st gets assigned and of course keeps it if there's no overlaps.

Where there's overlaps one random person who picked Ermor gets to keep it while the others get bumped down to 2nd choice.

Same thing again for second and third choicers, if there's no overlap jobs a good un else randomize but they can't bump out someone's higher choice (2nd choice pan can't randomly get it if someone got it as uncontested 1st choice).

If an unfortunate soul or two picked 3 really popular nations and didn't win randomization then post results so far and tell them the remaining nations are fair game.

Sarigs
09-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Sorry, misspoke. I know you guys are doing another attempt. I just meant that it's too bad this game didn't work out. It happens now and then with Dom3. In one of my current ongoing games (Sarigs will know what I'm talking about) we just had a pair of problems.

Aye the turn result I got in suggests that EVERYSINGLE nation, including me, is cheating and has too much gold. Plus a mage that I recruited last turn has turned up with no magic skills and as a standard unit instead of a commander. Very.....odd. That's one expensive unit of cannon fodder that there! :-)

Nullkigan
09-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Aye the turn result I got in suggests that EVERYSINGLE nation, including me, is cheating and has too much gold. Plus a mage that I recruit last turn has turns up but with no magic skills and as a standard unit instead of a commander. Very.....odd :-)

Sounds like the host tried to process with an incorrect mod enabled?

The Innocent
09-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Sounds like the host tried to process with an incorrect mod enabled?

Sadly, no. Problems like that just sometimes happen in Dom3. The instance I hosted from is a vanilla install. I even tried processing four variants (always getting the same result) and did an experiment by rolling back a turn and trying again (same result).

Fortunately, the game thinks that everyone cheated. So maybe we all cheated in the same proportion. :D

Jarvis
09-02-2012, 07:57 PM
I've sent my new nation selection to The Innocent.

Are you still okay to host Sarigs? What'll we be doing different this time if we're using that automated service?

Sarigs
09-02-2012, 10:38 PM
I've sent my new nation selection to The Innocent.

Are you still okay to host Sarigs? What'll we be doing different this time if we're using that automated service?

I've got absolutely no idea how to use the automatic hosting thingie so if anyone knows I'm voting for a host revolution!

The Innocent
10-02-2012, 07:54 AM
I've got absolutely no idea how to use the automatic hosting thingie so if anyone knows I'm voting for a host revolution!

Here's some stuff on how to use the Llamaserver, which is probably the best auto-host site for Dom3.

Main site (http://www.llamaserver.net/)

First game setup guide (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showpost.php?p=529319&postcount=5)

New game creation (http://www.llamaserver.net/createGame.cgi)

Gandalf Parker (of Dom3 fame, and found here (http://www.dom3minions.com/HostedGames.htm)) also does auto-hosted games. I'm sure there are others, but those are the two I've used in the past.

There are upsides and downsides to using an auto-host. After a few years of Dom3, I greatly prefer having an actual living, breathing host, but opinions are diverse and mysterious creatures.

Nullkigan
10-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Any chance you could expand on the downsides?

I'd offer to take on some of the hosting effort but between a new job and the arma stuff it'd probably be a bit stupid of me to make a 100% longterm commitment right now.

I guess we should START SENDING NATION SELECTIONS now anyway.

lasikbear
10-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Uh, so as the new guy, I send my nation selection to The Innocent?

Nullkigan
10-02-2012, 03:52 PM
I guess so. Pick three that sound good (maybe a fourth just in case), and he'll try to ensure everyone gets a nation they like.

Jarvis
10-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Alright then i'll host, not promising the automated version though i'll have a look at it later.

As nulk nudged can everyone interested please sent The Innocent your nation picks again in order of preference.

I'll generate a few maps at 12 provinces per the 7 current players and have one picked out.

The Innocent
10-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Okay, I have five sets of nation preferences in. So there are going to be seven players total?

Any chance you could expand on the downsides?

Sure. I think it does come down to preference though.

If you use Mr Parker's auto-host service, there's a timed period when the game will automatically host. It's usually 24 hours after the last submitted turn, but he can change that for you. It's possible to email him and set delays (for people going on trips, getting sick, just being a day late, etc.), but that's an additional step involving someone who isn't actually playing the game.

Both auto-hosts only really save on a bit of work. Hosting can be tricky to learn, but once you've figured it out it isn't as hard or as time-consuming as most folks seem to think—and while it could get a bit tedious by email, DropBox makes is such a breeze that it takes less than a minute to host each turn. One of Llamaserver's big bonuses is that it contains download links to all sorts of maps and mods, but you can link to those from the create game page (http://www.llamaserver.net/createGame.cgi) without actually needing to launch a game with the Llamaserver.

I've had both Mr Parker's server and Llamaserver go down multiple times. Each time the hosts were apologetic and had perfectly good reasons for the downtime, but it always came as a surprise to me and the other players, and usually ended with us giving up on the game.

Another issue is trust. Both servers will theoretically (I haven't had this happen, but there have been discussions on it) accept turns from any source with access, and it isn't hard to alter or force through passwords of the .2h files. With email or DropBox, you instantly have a record of who is sending in turns.

But all that aside, the main reason for me is mostly just communication and flexibility. It's nice to be able to have everyone talking to each other about problems or delays, even if it is just text document titles in DropBox.

Nullkigan
10-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Okay, I have five sets of nation preferences in. So there are going to be seven players total?

In alphabetical order:

GroovyChainsaw
Jarvis
Lasikbear
MasterBoo
Nullkigan
Riadsala
Sarigs

Jarvis
11-02-2012, 11:53 AM

Sure. I think it does come down to preference though.

If you use Mr Parker's auto-host service, there's a timed period when the game will automatically host. It's usually 24 hours after the last submitted turn, but he can change that for you. It's possible to email him and set delays (for people going on trips, getting sick, just being a day late, etc.), but that's an additional step involving someone who isn't actually playing the game.

Both auto-hosts only really save on a bit of work. Hosting can be tricky to learn, but once you've figured it out it isn't as hard or as time-consuming as most folks seem to think—and while it could get a bit tedious by email, DropBox makes is such a breeze that it takes less than a minute to host each turn. One of Llamaserver's big bonuses is that it contains download links to all sorts of maps and mods, but you can link to those from the create game page (http://www.llamaserver.net/createGame.cgi) without actually needing to launch a game with the Llamaserver.

I've had both Mr Parker's server and Llamaserver go down multiple times. Each time the hosts were apologetic and had perfectly good reasons for the downtime, but it always came as a surprise to me and the other players, and usually ended with us giving up on the game.

Another issue is trust. Both servers will theoretically (I haven't had this happen, but there have been discussions on it) accept turns from any source with access, and it isn't hard to alter or force through passwords of the .2h files. With email or DropBox, you instantly have a record of who is sending in turns.

But all that aside, the main reason for me is mostly just communication and flexibility. It's nice to be able to have everyone talking to each other about problems or delays, even if it is just text document titles in DropBox.

I think i'll stick with manual then I'm going to use the same dropbox folder which i've cleared out, Iaskibear can you pm me your email address so I can add you to the dropbox folder.

I'm going to generate some maps now and put them in the folder Innocent if I add you to the folder as well do you mind picking one of the maps for us to use please?

I've messed around a little with the map generating options, including remembering to actually put rivers in for the later ones (which are off by default for some reason.)

Nullkigan
11-02-2012, 12:11 PM
I don't think rivers actually do anything but look ugly? In the last map we were even able to wade across entire lakes between provinces.

Jarvis
11-02-2012, 12:23 PM
I kind of figured their lack were part of the reason we had so many waste (especially low income) provinces on the last map.

The Innocent
11-02-2012, 07:44 PM
I'm going to generate some maps now and put them in the folder Innocent if I add you to the folder as well do you mind picking one of the maps for us to use please?

Sure.
10char

I don't think rivers actually do anything but look ugly? In the last map we were even able to wade across entire lakes between provinces.

I think you're right... and man they're ugly.

MasterBoo
11-02-2012, 07:49 PM
Can't wait to restart already, hope I do get my first choice now :)

Jarvis
11-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Can you pm me your email as well then Innocent, I thought I had it but I can't find it.

The Innocent
11-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Okay, the results for nation picks are:

groovychainsaw: Pythium
Jarvis: Man
lasikbear: Bandar Log
MasterBoo: R'lyeh
Nullkigan: Vanheim
riadsala: Jotunheim
Sarigs: Ulm

Good luck to everyone!

MasterBoo
11-02-2012, 10:00 PM
Yey, first time I'll be playing an aquatic nation!

Nullkigan
11-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Poor Jarvis. Also Lasikbear is a CHAMP.

lasikbear
11-02-2012, 10:26 PM
First game with real people, usually lose to the computer, going all in.

Nullkigan
11-02-2012, 10:35 PM
I did a 5 turn test game with pretty much every MA nation to see which ones I found usable. Bandar Log are the only ones I found to have a harder time than Ashdod (who you'd think would have an easy time, but if they make a single mistake in the opening turns are pretty much ruined for life). Even Eriu and Shinuyama managed to recover somewhat from my bungling...

Man had a good time of it once they'd massed two-three turns of longbows, but "poor Jarvis" because he was interested in R'lyeh too.

Jarvis
11-02-2012, 11:29 PM
First game with real people, usually lose to the computer, going all in.

I still need you to pm me your email so I can invite you to dropbox...

Jarvis
12-02-2012, 12:06 AM
but "poor Jarvis" because he was interested in R'lyeh too.

Sad times, another game hopefully.

I'm reposting this here cause it was a bugger to find it before:- http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=604&d=1326872790

Shortly after posting this the files should be ready in the dropbox.

Right everyone's invited, we have a map and all know who we're playing next I need everyone's pretender in the start gubbins folder please.

lasikbear
12-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Uh, is there anywhere besides the savedgames folder I would find my pretender to upload? Or is there a place the savedgames folder might be thats not in C:/Program Files/Dominions3?

I don't have that folder and I can't find any sort of saved pretender data anywhere. There was one file in the /tutdata folder but it was for a nation I haven't played as in forever.

Sarigs
12-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Uh, is there anywhere besides the savedgames folder I would find my pretender to upload? Or is there a place the savedgames folder might be thats not in C:/Program Files/Dominions3?

I don't have that folder and I can't find any sort of saved pretender data anywhere. There was one file in the /tutdata folder but it was for a nation I haven't played as in forever.

Should be in the savedgames folder...when I installed Dom 3 it put the files in a reason stupid place: C:\Users\Nicholas\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Progr am Files (x86)\dominions3\savedgames In a "hidden file" god knows why! I think the only way I ended up tracking it was starting a new SP game. Saving and exiting immediately and then use "Search programes and files" function to search for the game name I'd just saved, backing up a step to the saved games folder and then pillaging the pretenders. Then when I found the bloody folder making a shortcut to desk top.

Very frustrating, dunno if thats the same problem your having.

lasikbear
12-02-2012, 06:05 PM
You found it! Goddamn I hate windows hidden folders/filesystem in general.

Sarigs
12-02-2012, 06:42 PM
You found it! Goddamn I hate windows hidden folders/filesystem in general.

Excellent :-)

Think just one more pretender to go now!

groovychainsaw
12-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Mine's in now - ready when you are :-)

Jarvis
12-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Right, game created i've copied the whole of the new game name into the dropbox, copy the folder across to your own saved games folder and copy the two map files to your maps folder if you haven't already.

For completeness sake a duplicate of your inital turn files is in the turn 1 folder, when you've done your turn put the 2h files in the turn sub folder and when we're all in i'll process it, archive the old turn and create a new one when we'll rinse and repeat.

Good luck and have fun. Before your inevitable defeat.

riadsala
12-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Done :0-)

I was very tempted to rush in headfirst before scouting!

MasterBoo
13-02-2012, 07:25 AM
good luck all!

<happy to have an entire ocean just for himself>

Nullkigan
13-02-2012, 12:58 PM
good luck all!

<happy to have an entire ocean just for himself>

We have to be very, very careful about letting you have those two islands...

Sarigs
13-02-2012, 01:57 PM
We have to be very, very careful about letting you have those two islands...

Hmm is MA
R'lyeh as lethal as I've heard LA is? Concerning :-)

MasterBoo
13-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Err... release the kraken (!!!)?

Jarvis
13-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Damn, he's figured out the secret.

Nullkigan
13-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Hmm is MA
R'lyeh as lethal as I've heard LA is? Concerning :-)

It's not that they're powerful (though a hit squad of Ilithids will ruin anyones day, no matter the era), it's that they're the only water nation and thus are likely to be ignored for most of the game. The oceans are also such a wide front that it's easy for R'lyeh to raid and annoy costal players with relative impunity.

That's a free pass to the end game, where they can leverage excellent Astral casters and Wish to achieve whatever ends they desire.

The two islands are actually large and quite rich, which is the main weaknesses of the underwater provinces, and completely inaccessible to the rest of us without an aquatic task force. And fighting underwater is exactly what aquatic nations are best at :)

MasterBoo
13-02-2012, 09:35 PM
I will state that I am a total noob regarding the end game and the high-end spells (no that it'll help me throw you off my back :P).

btw, I deleted the vanheim 2nd turn file since the .2h file was already submitted, just to prevent future confusion :)

Nullkigan
13-02-2012, 09:45 PM
I thought we were leaving everything in place against potential future accidents and for archiving? (Good job I have this folder on my magnetic drive)

Jarvis
13-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Nullkigan's right, please don't delete turn files from the folders.

I'm keeping track of the progress of 2h files seperately.

MasterBoo
14-02-2012, 12:04 AM
Oh sorry then, I will put them back to the folder tomorrow.

Sarigs
14-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Sorry for the delay on my turn lads, had a horrific commute home last night, took about 3 hours longer then normal and ended up pubbed and overly tired! Will rectify the situation when I get home to night and up load!

Jarvis
14-02-2012, 10:25 PM
I should add that I intend to stick to the originally agreed 5 day turn limit unless people mention that they'll be away for awhile.

For this turn that puts the deadline at saturday 18.

Do we all still want to try and arrange a time we can do a several turn evening or the like?

lasikbear
14-02-2012, 10:28 PM
I would be cool with trying to arrange a time. I am in the US and we have next monday off so I can easily find some time this weekend.

Sarigs
15-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Yeah I'd be up for this. I've a week off so I'm free any time for a session if everyone else can figure out a time that would work.

Nullkigan
15-02-2012, 12:26 PM
I'm busy on Sunday evenings, but otherwise free at the moment.

Jarvis
15-02-2012, 05:58 PM
I'd be free early/afternoon saturday.

groovychainsaw
16-02-2012, 10:22 AM
My weekend is kinda busy - Saturday is almost certainly out, sunday morning is a possibility, then I think I'm out for the afternoon. Not sure about the evening yet?

MasterBoo
16-02-2012, 12:45 PM
I probably can't play in any of this week's evenings, I will know better after Sat. I am also GMT -2 so not sure I can synch with you anyway :\

Sarigs
18-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Anyone know when we're likely to see the missing turns submitted? IT's been 5 days so far :-)

Think riadsala is the only one missing beyond the host

Nullkigan
18-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Missing: Jotunheim, Man, Pythium. It's only turn two!

Jarvis
18-02-2012, 06:55 PM
I've pm'd groovy and ridasa earlier today, i'm going to process the turn tomorrow morning now after a nice lie in to give them a last chance.

In general i'll probably put my turn in as part of the processing ritual so long as i'm hosting.

MasterBoo
18-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Im afraid that processing the turn without them, so early in the game, will create dismotivation to go on, but what can we do... Come on people!

riadsala
18-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Sorry, I was sure I had uploaded my turn already!

Jarvis
19-02-2012, 12:39 PM
I've processed the turn and swapped round where the turn files and 2h files go now, people will only need to click down 1 folder to see who's put their 2h file in.

Sarigs
19-02-2012, 12:51 PM
I've processed the turn and swapped round where the turn files and 2h files go now, people will only need to click down 1 folder to see who's put their 2h file in.

Coolio, did everyone submit in time?

Jarvis
19-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Groovy missed it.

Nullkigan
19-02-2012, 08:15 PM
And down to Pythium / Man(?) again. I wonder if someone killed Groovy ...

groovychainsaw
19-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Crap - i thought the deadline was for everyone to get their first turn in, not the second. I thought we were waiting for everyone to get their first turn in still. I hadnt checked. Missing a turn could be detrimental, but hell, im probably going to lose anyway. Now i have an excuse!

Jarvis
19-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Turn 3 processed and turn 4 up with a deadline of thursday.

MasterBoo
19-02-2012, 08:46 PM
If it comforts you groovy, I screwed up my 2nd turn as well. Just imagine a bad event happened to you :)

MasterBoo
19-02-2012, 08:51 PM
My new turn file is the one of turn 3... Not the new one.

Jarvis
19-02-2012, 09:15 PM
Okay somethings gone wrong again and i'm not sure what, after what boo said I deleted turn 4 and went back to reprocess turn 3.

It doesn't recognize the 2h files and if I host anyway it skips turn 4 and goes to turn 5 with weird results, I think the fthrland file which i've not been archiving gets changed as well which I didn't realize was the case.

Yep, it's definately the fthrland file, tried processing with the original one and it goes back to turn 2.

Could someone who's not tried to process turn 4 put their copy of the fthrland file into the turn 3 folder please, sorry about this

Jarvis
19-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Alternately since groovy missed turn 2 and boo screwed his up I could reprocess turn 1 and carry on from there, I've tested that and it's working.

groovychainsaw
19-02-2012, 09:28 PM
I'd be fine with that :-D

Jarvis
19-02-2012, 09:40 PM
So am I but it might end up meaning some people who managed to capture a province last time fails this time and other randomization changes.

Majority decision:-

1. Try to restore turn 3 via a valid fthrland file going into the folder or

2. carry on from an new version of turn 2

votes so far 2 for option 2.

1 vote for option 1.

groovychainsaw
19-02-2012, 09:45 PM
I'll add, im also fine with continuing, I'd resigned myself to missing a turn anyways, just thought it was funny that i had another chance at turn 2 :-)

MasterBoo
19-02-2012, 09:55 PM
I am fine with playing from turn 1 again if we don't have the 3rd turn fatherland (I prefer continuing though).

Jarvis
19-02-2012, 10:08 PM
So long as you didn't go into the game and hit end turn then your current fatherland file should be the 3rd turn one masterboo.

MasterBoo
19-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Oh, ill upload it when im back home in an hour or so then!

MasterBoo
19-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Uploaded my fatherland to the "backup fatherland" folder. Tell me if it's alright and working.

Sarigs
19-02-2012, 11:36 PM
So.....is the trn file in the dropbox for downloading or whats happening? I've confused! I posted my turn 3 earlier today and that's the last I know...

Jarvis
20-02-2012, 12:02 AM
I've borked it, when I was doing back ups I should've been puting the fartherland files into the folder as well but I didn't.

After experimentation no one, even me has the correct fartherland file for any turn past the first so we're no choice but to roll back to turn two.

This means play won't occur exactly like before, sorry about this.

Right, turn 2 take 2.

Nullkigan
20-02-2012, 01:35 AM
Surely you already have our 2h for that turn though? Aghhhh.

MasterBoo
20-02-2012, 01:49 AM
It won't work because there may be different events in the current 2nd turn (and also the turn probably has a different hash.)

groovychainsaw
20-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Ok, if i understand correctly then, I'll download the .trn file and submit my turn 2 tonight?

riadsala
20-02-2012, 11:17 AM
This is getting silly now.

MasterBoo
20-02-2012, 11:32 AM
Also download the ftherland file and replace it with the same file in your local game's folder.
With the fatherland backed up now, we shouldn't have any more problems.

MasterBoo
20-02-2012, 05:00 PM
I hope that now that we learned from all our mistakes we can finally play safe and fun without any problems :)
Good luck (again) all!
May I win!

lasikbear
20-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Put my new old turn in, sorry for the delay.

Nullkigan
20-02-2012, 08:58 PM
So, just waiting on Pythium again?

Jarvis
20-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Yes, the next turn limit is on thursday though it shouldn't be that long groovy seemed to say he'd have time tonight.

Sarigs
21-02-2012, 01:13 AM
Woo ignore me. I can't read folders :-)

groovychainsaw
21-02-2012, 09:59 AM
God I'm an idiot - i'll do this first thing when i get home tonight. I was even on my PC yesterday for 1/2 hour but totally forgot. Sorry fellas. Really struggling to keep up with doing this daily, obviously not in a routine yet :-)

groovychainsaw
21-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Ok, done! Apologies again chaps, I'll try to be more prompt :-)

Jarvis
21-02-2012, 07:53 PM
New turn up with all the files present and accounted for.

As a reminder for everyone (since at this point reminders can never be amiss :-) you need to copy both the ftherland file and your turn file to your save folder otherwise you'll get out of sync with everyone else. (I believe that's what happened before when I wasn't provideing said file.)

Looking at things it's worth noting that at this point anyone can do the actual hosting - just copy over the 2h files, perhaps everyone elses turn files to be sure then hit host and copy back the results.

I'll carry on hosting for convienence sake but should I disappear for some reason then the game can go on.

Jarvis
22-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Turn 4's up deadline is late sunday.

Sarigs
24-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Hmmm other players Ahoy!

To the nations of Jotunheim & Bandar Log. Consider yourself messaged in game.

Prepare for operation "gonna-come-at-you-like-a-spider-monkey" mode if diplomacy fails :-)

Jarvis
25-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Turn 6 is up and the next deadline is thursday. Just to let people know I don't actually copy over or process any files until they're all present, so you can change your turn as you like until the turn folder goes into the archive.

Nullkigan
25-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Ruh-roh-raggy. Someone has taken a tumble on the score graphs.

Sarigs
25-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Ruh-roh-raggy. Someone has taken a tumble on the score graphs.

Graphs are over rated. And my army decided to focus on making sure every single enemy heavy knight was on 1 Hit point before moving on to finishing them off!

MasterBoo
26-02-2012, 08:41 AM
Bloop?
I don't even see a single black candle. Nobody at my shores?

Jarvis
28-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Turn 7 is processed and 2h files for turn 8 have started coming in.

MasterBoo
29-02-2012, 08:11 AM
<Wondering whose black candles he's seeing in the south east>

MasterBoo
02-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Making sure riadsala didn't forget putting the turn (since he posted in the forum a day ago).

riadsala
02-03-2012, 02:22 PM
I'm on it.... was just waiting for an urgent communication from another player

MasterBoo
02-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Turn 9 is up! I processed the turn myself, so if there are any problems let me know.

Jarvis
02-03-2012, 05:37 PM
When I went in it showed everyone else being on turn 8 and mine on turn 9.

Redoing from mine it shows everyone on turn 9 like they should be.

If anyone else needs to process a turn they'll need to copy all of the files from the turn folder both other players previous turn file and the 2h files.

MasterBoo
02-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Weird, that's what I did O_o
I think it's better to erase my folder and keep yours as the valid one, just in case. I'll redo my turn later (pythium should as well).

Jarvis
02-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Not entirely sure what happened then, i'll have to have a closer look next time.

Edit:

To unsully MasterBoo's name and sully my own, it seems I managed to operate on autopilot and overwrite other people's turn files with old ones.

The current turn 9 is valid.

Jarvis
05-03-2012, 08:32 PM
We've got all the files in but Bandar Log's file doesn't seem to have any orders, theres no - next to the nation and the program says not everyone's submitted a turn.

lasikbear
06-03-2012, 12:33 AM
Fixed my turn, uploaded the previous one by accident (or was it???)

MasterBoo
06-03-2012, 12:39 AM
I am processing the turn again, since I won't be able to do my next turn until the next 24 hours. If there are problems, feel free to overwrite it like before :P

Nullkigan
06-03-2012, 12:42 AM
Got all turn 10's on Boo's files, looks good to go.

Nullkigan
06-03-2012, 01:39 PM
That was a LOT of giants. Are they called a murder? A mountain? A club of giants?

riadsala
06-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Did you kill them all?

And, what's with the premptive aggression.

MasterBoo
06-03-2012, 02:22 PM
>Feels lonely under the sea<

groovychainsaw
06-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Don't worry boo, it just takes a while to build 8 diving helmets for each one of my hydras!

/Is joking
/Is concerned he hasn't put enough points into construction to achieve this
/Changes plans again....

Sarigs
06-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Gotta be honest guys, it's getting real old, this whole "get dicked over by the independent forces" thing. Not only have I had a strong force ground out last year by a excessive proportion of heavy calvary (way over the usual ratios) that sent be limping away but I've just had another slew of troops killed by the AI deciding to take a already heavily defended independent force and liberally sprinkling in a group of Gemmed-out Wind Master jokers who proceeded to throw Thunder Strikes and Orb Lightning about like it was going out of fashion. (Evocation 4 & 5 respectively for those keeping count at home)

Sod ya, you cheap trick AI swine.

Nullkigan
06-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Gotta be honest guys, it's getting real old, this whole "get dicked over by the independent forces" thing. Not only have I had a strong force ground out last year by a excessive proportion of heavy calvary (way over the usual ratios) that sent be limping away but I've just had another slew of troops killed by the AI deciding to take a already heavily defended independent force and liberally sprinkling in a group of Gemmed-out Wind Master jokers who proceeded to throw Thunder Strikes and Orb Lightning about like it was going out of fashion. (Evocation 4 & 5 respectively for those keeping count at home)

Sod ya, you cheap trick AI swine.

Heavy Cav happens, I've had three provinces of that and ONE with scouts. I don't see why you're complaining about the Wind Masters, though. That usually signifies a site where you can recruit them (or at least get gems).

Sarigs
06-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Heavy Cav happens, I've had three provinces of that and ONE with scouts. I don't see why you're complaining about the Wind Masters, though. That usually signifies a site where you can recruit them (or at least get gems).

My experience has always been thats mage are random and have no bearing on the magic sites in the area, Bloodhenge Druids being a prime example, and only the basic units types (Heavy/light/calvalry) can be used as a indication on whats in the province. I'll be happy to be proved wrong but either way Painful Evo spells vs Low MR Ulm troops still picking themselves after a previous set back does not make for a happy time.

Also the Heavy Cav thing they were expected but they are usualy about half a dozen to a dozen supported by the bulk being infantry this was just a flood of knights with a couple of foot soldiers to trick me into thinking it was a balanced force!

Nullkigan
06-03-2012, 04:48 PM
I think Blood Henge Druids, Vine Ogres and Vampires are special but every other time you encounter mages in a province it's because they're able to be produced there? Admittedly you usually run into an oddly powerful variant (like 3x N2D1 who spam skeletons amongst tribesmen with N1/10%D1 shamen, or aforementioned A2 lightning spammers hitting A3 spells through gems)

One of the provinces near me was 20 Heavy Cav 10 Heavy inf 20 bows. I'd have had a second expansion party out long ago otherwise. The moment I saw the Heavy Cav descriptor I decided to leave the province alone until I could come back to it later. The others were only 6-10 HC and only killed 100-150ish gold of troops each.

Your MR should be increased by your dominion, right? Probably drain as Ulm? Still, when your guys cost 20+ a pop I can imagine it's frustrating. My primary troops are 25-100 gold each but haven't really had the sky dropped on them yet.

Sarigs
06-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Hmm well here's hoping, in the interest of !science! I'll let you know if I find any kind of Air site there....and if I end up benig able to recruit Wind Master I shall be a extremely happy Ulmite.

The main choke point for me is resources is I'm being honest. Until I expand I can only recruit a handful of troops a turn. So taking heavy losses while expanding just slows the whole thing down to a crawl Lol.

Nullkigan
08-03-2012, 03:44 PM
I'm moving this saturday so my turns will probably slow down a lot. I might have to ask someone to start emailing me the turns depending on how easy it is to find a wifi hotspot near the new place.

Jarvis
08-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Next turn is due on saturday we're only missing ulm and jotunheim, looks like ulm had a bit of tweaking to do.

MasterBoo
09-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Anyone messaged riadsala?

riadsala
09-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Anyone messaged riadsala?

no need. the deadline isn't til tomorrow right?

MasterBoo
09-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Jarvis said it's until today, just making sure :P

Sarigs
09-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Yeah sorry about the last minute switcharoo but I need to tweak something :-) Still was plenty of time prior to the deadline!

Nullkigan
09-03-2012, 05:39 PM
So I'm all packed up apart from this PC and thus probably won't be able to pick up the turn (if resolved after this evening) until late monday or tuesday at best. If someone could e-mail me (same username on gmail) the turn files that would help a lot. I'm more likely to be allowed access to webmail than dropbox.

... I should probably buy one of those new-fangled internet capable mobile phones.

Jarvis
09-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Last turn was processed on the 5th, i'm allowing 5 full days so saturday evening is the deadline. In practice i'll probably be busy so i'll process turn 10 whatever state it's in when I get up sunday morning.

riadsala
09-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Jarvis said it's until today, just making sure :P

Last turn was processed on the 5th, i'm allowing 5 full days so saturday evening is the deadline. In practice i'll probably be busy so i'll process turn 10 whatever state it's in when I get up sunday morning.

plenty of time.