PDA

View Full Version : From Dust 4 Today on Steam

othelios
24-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Midweek madness has From Dust at 3.99 on Steam.

I've been really curious about this game since it came out but was disappointed with the DRM and apparently shoddy port (controls being a major gripe).

Can anyone recommend From Dust for this price, today? Can you confirm the DRM has been removed? I haven't bought a Ubisoft Game since Assassin's Creed 1 as I really don't want to support the use of DRM. I'm half tempted to wait 6 months as it's likely to be reduced even further.

I'll probably be using my 360 gamepad so I'm not too bothered about the controls.

Let me know your thoughts :)

Althea
24-01-2012, 09:47 PM
If you don't want to support the use of DRM, why are you buying on Steam?

SirKicksalot
24-01-2012, 10:00 PM
The DRM was removed...
And there's *nothing* wrong with the controls. Have you played Defense Grid? Same controls! In From Dust you're actually controlling a character in the game world with the mouse. Considering the abilities it has, I really don't see another control option to be viable.

The game is very unique. It's a puzzle game at heart. The nature simulation is incredible, I've never seen anything like it before.

Smashbox
24-01-2012, 10:00 PM
I think he was referring to the 'random grab bag DRM' found in Ubi products of late. I can't keep it all straight.

Steam DRM is at least predictable.

othelios
24-01-2012, 10:01 PM
If you don't want to support the use of DRM, why are you buying on Steam?

I suppose I should've said that I don't want to support such heavy handed DRM.

Steam isn't perfect but it works fine for me. Even when my internet is down. It also has really good sales, which sort of makes up for it. Ubisoft DRM is always online (even for SP only games) and doesn't offer anything in return for that always on connection. I've also read about how some players have been unable to play when the Ubi servers are down. This is something that I don't agree with and I wouldn't pay full price for a game that limits me in this way.

I created this post to ask those that already have the game (or played it through other means) if they think it is worth 3.99 with such restrictions.

othelios
24-01-2012, 10:07 PM
The DRM was removed...
And there's *nothing* wrong with the controls. Have you played Defense Grid? Same controls! In From Dust you're actually controlling a character in the game world with the mouse. Considering the abilities it has, I really don't see another control option to be viable.

The game is very unique. It's a puzzle game at heart. The nature simulation is incredible, I've never seen anything like it before.

Thanks for your reply. Your last paragraph pretty much sums it up as to why I want to play it.

Would you say it was worth 4?

Althea
24-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Steam isn't perfect but it works fine for me. Even when my internet is down. It also has really good sales, which sort of makes up for it. Ubisoft DRM is always online (even for SP only games) and doesn't offer anything in return for that always on connection. I've also read about how some players have been unable to play when the Ubi servers are down. This is something that I don't agree with and I wouldn't pay full price for a game that limits me in this way.
That's... not entirely true. There's only one (I believe) Always-On Only game left, which is The Settlers 7. All the others function offline with a reduction in features.

But yeah, From Dust has had its DRM removed (http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/09/09/from-dust-drm-removed/)

othelios
24-01-2012, 10:13 PM
That's... not entirely true. There's only one (I believe) Always-On Only game left, which is The Settlers 7. All the others function offline with a reduction in features.

But yeah, From Dust has had its DRM removed (http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/09/09/from-dust-drm-removed/)

Thanks. Settlers 7 is another I'd like to play but my internet connection isn't the most reliable. I wish they'd patch it out already.

Althea
24-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Me too, but I still finished it with a minimum of issues.

SirKicksalot
24-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Thanks for your reply. Your last paragraph pretty much sums it up as to why I want to play it.

Would you say it was worth 4?

Yes, absolutely. It's not just a curiosity, but it also has solid mechanics and a cool atmosphere.
Also it's always thrilling watching your guys outrunning a tsunami or lava.

somini
24-01-2012, 10:23 PM
This game looks great, but with all the Always-online DRM I skipped it at launch. Glad I could wait.
I will buy it anyway, but does anyone have a Ubisoft coupon?

SMiD
24-01-2012, 10:56 PM
I, sir, have a -25% Ubisoft coupon that you may have.

somini
24-01-2012, 10:59 PM
I only have a couple of Valve coupons, but you can have my gratitude.
If you are feeling generous, my Steam profile is in the signature.

Prester John
25-01-2012, 12:01 AM
Just got it for 4, worth it. Reminiscent of Populous so far (2 levels in).

Moraven
25-01-2012, 01:36 AM
It amazes me how much Titan Quest Gold sells everytime it is a deal. Despite some bugs, random performance issues it is a great action rpg. Seems to be a great market for it.

Wish Iron Lore didn't get shut down so quick and also wish they had online saved characters.

Ah well, for anyone looking for a great game to play co-op, Titan Quest is a must have. Did all 3 difficulties with the lady. Great fun.

Looking forward to Grim Dawn and Torchlight 2.

SirKicksalot
25-01-2012, 03:05 AM
Ian Frazier, one of Titan Quest's producers, is the lead designer of Kingdoms of Amalur and other Iron Lore staff is working there too. The skill trees are straight out of TQ, except that they're not full of passive abilities here.

Moraven
25-01-2012, 05:08 AM
Ian Frazier, one of Titan Quest's producers, is the lead designer of Kingdoms of Amalur and other Iron Lore staff is working there too. The skill trees are straight out of TQ, except that they're not full of passive abilities here.

News to me. Makes me more interested in it now. To bad there is no co-op. Hopeful the game is not to hard to mod on the PC.

baboonanza
25-01-2012, 10:43 AM
It amazes me how much Titan Quest Gold sells everytime it is a deal. Despite some bugs, random performance issues it is a great action rpg. Seems to be a great market for it.
Really? I found it pretty boring and gave up after it transported me to a new continent and I realised that I was still nowhere near finishing the game.

Flint
25-01-2012, 11:00 AM
I enjoy Titan Quest and love the way it does its skill trees, but I never became as involved with it as I usually do with these sorts of games. It really underplays the importance of the loot element of these games; the item selection is fairly unexciting and you only come across upgrades ever so occasionally, which dampens one core element of character progression in these click-fests. It's a bit monotonous overall, leading to a situation where I've still not completed it, but where I have it installed for occasional times when I've got nothing else to play because it's so easy both to get in and leave when something else comes along.

Skalpadda
25-01-2012, 11:11 AM
From Dust is definitely worth 4 if you're looking for something a bit different. The mechanics of moving matter around are really well done and the game gives you a couple of levels where you're free to play around quite a bit.

As for shoddy port, I found the controls to be fine and the only issues were no real graphics options and a capped frame rate, neither of which really mattered to me since it ran fine and there's no need for more than 30 FPS in a top-down strategy/puzzle game.

Rauten
25-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Bought it, so far really liking it.
More puzzle than anything else, it feels like a good time to chill out with.
Also I can't help but keep thinking that it's pretty much SimCity's map generator with physics and some civilians around that might drown in that lake you wanna make over there.

Cooper
25-01-2012, 04:25 PM
From Dust is perfect for 4.

It's a lovely, gentle game, that gets a bit hectic later. It manages to catch that odd uncertainty of geological processes; most of the time you are fighting against something you can't easily predict.

It's not really a bad port - the controls are absolutely fine. No grapics options, but this is essentially a very lightweight game, so that doesn't matter. It still looks gorgeous even without 10 billion polygonoids.

Played it through to the last-but-one level last night in a few hours. Not trying to show off (I took longer over most of the levels) just to say that, yeah, it is a pretty short game. But I -like- that. I'd much prefer games were 5 hours long and cost under a tenner. I don't have time for 30+ hour slogfests.

After installaing and running the Ubisoft game Launcher (ugh) it's totally offline. Run it, patch the game and just click 'offline mode' and the game starts. Your saves remain local, and you don't even have to give an email address or register for a login.

I was a bit pissed when I saw the 'login or register' screen. Hate that extra layer of nonsense you gets with GFWL and all that. But was very pleasantly surprised that just clicking offline mode kicked it off with no fuss.

I still get annoyed at Ubisoft for both their absurd DRM and that they are incapable of being consistent, nor giving out proper details of what the DRM is / whether it has been removed (still not sure what the casse is with Driver. i'd like the game, but am totally confused). but in this case I was aware the DRM had been removed, so had a punt. And am pretty chuffed.

Fredie007
25-01-2012, 05:55 PM
I got another 25% Ubi coupon if anyone's interested. First one to give me his steam-id either here or through pm can have it.

Anyone know how the game performed saleswise or what Eric Chahi might be up to next?

Citruspunch
25-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Did they ever fix the camera scroll issue? Where the area you could move the pointer without it scrolling the screen was really small, thus just trying to pick up dirt from one side of the screen and drop it on the other meant unnecessary scrolling.

anyone?

Cooper
25-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Do you mean how the screen follows the cursor, so your cursor is always pretty much central?

No, this is not 'fixed'. I'm not sure it needs to be either. I'm already using the keyboard for a few commands, adding WASD or something to move the camera around would just be fiddly. I wished more games locked the view to the cursor to be honest.

qizarate
25-01-2012, 07:23 PM
I got another 25% Ubi coupon if anyone's interested. First one to give me his steam-id either here or through pm can have it.

Anyone know how the game performed saleswise or what Eric Chahi might be up to next?

I would love you forever if you could send me the coupon, i've been meaning to pick this up for a while. My steam ID is the same as my RPS username: qizarate

Fredie007
25-01-2012, 07:35 PM
I would love you forever if you could send me the coupon, i've been meaning to pick this up for a while. My steam ID is the same as my RPS username: qizarate I'm sorry, butt asskicker beat you to it.

Citruspunch
25-01-2012, 07:59 PM
no, not how the screen follows the cursor.

think of any rts game, you push the cursor to the edge of the screen and it scrolls the map in that direction. In from dust the issue is that rather than having to move to the edge of the screen the hotzone for the cursor to trigger movement is too far in. Whilst this undoubtedly favors console players, it's a PC UI fail. As it was called out as one of the issues back when, I wondered if they'd patched it yup.

Berzee
27-01-2012, 03:55 AM
Citruspunch, it's because the cursor is your character -- you always remain centered, like a guy in a third-person shooter. =P

In other news, what the heck is up with these unskippable cutscenes? I watched my wife do the first level, I don't need 30 seconds on zooming in on a glowy thing!

Excited to play it at long last, though =)

Rauten
27-01-2012, 06:45 PM
In other news, what the heck is up with these unskippable cutscenes? I watched my wife do the first level, I don't need 30 seconds on zooming in on a glowy thing!

I think the game uses the cutscenes as loading screens; seems you can only skip them if your PC is done loading the next level.