PDA

View Full Version : New game by ex-GSC devs announced

Kevin
25-01-2012, 01:05 AM
A lot of people have been getting some Myst vibes out of this trailer, which I hope for my sake isn't indicative of the final product (I'm sorry, John Walker, but point-and-click adventure games need to die a slow, horrible death at the stake. A well-deserved fate they've evaded for far too long). I'm hoping it's more The Void and Pathalogic than Myst, even if this doesn't seem soul-crushingly depressing like Ice Pick Lodge's previous ventures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y270FSjykBc

Shane
25-01-2012, 01:32 AM
As long as it's a game from the same guys who had a hand in making Stalker I'd be interested even if it was a dance rhythm game.

Wizardry
25-01-2012, 01:36 AM
(I'm sorry, John Walker, but point-and-click adventure games need to die a slow, horrible death at the stake. A well-deserved fate they've evaded for far too long)
Yeah. I couldn't agree more. All those AAA developers making those crappy point-and-click adventure games would do well to put their effort into creating the next generation of first-person shooters. They are holding back gaming. They deserve to die.

Mistabashi
25-01-2012, 01:42 AM
Yeah, definite Myst vibe. Also, if this is indeed an immersive first person adventure game like it seems to be then I'm rather excited, even though it does have a slightly higher robot-bewb count than I'd have imagined. Adventure games have so much potential now that we can create big, detailled and freely-explorable worlds relatively easily, it's a shame that so few developers have explored this.

westyfield
25-01-2012, 01:52 AM
Something like LA Noire in a future setting would be neat-o. As in, not a straight action game, but not a point-and-click adventure either.

Unaco
25-01-2012, 02:09 AM
I am interested. I'm hoping it's going to be something like Deus. Open world, exploration, survival.

Mistabashi
25-01-2012, 02:09 AM
I think Frictional have touched on a fairly unexplored evolution of the point & click adventure. Of course, both Penumbra and Amnesia relied on the survival horror aspects to drive the player, but it's easy to see how that could be replaced if you had an interesting enough environment and a well written character or two that you you actually care about.

I guess what I'm most interested in seeing is if this game will involve shooting people or not.

EDIT: Escapist (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115425-Ex-S-T-A-L-K-E-R-Devs-Try-Something-New-in-Cradle) have a brief and very vague interview, which makes some interesting reading. Seems like there's two distinct areas with two different styles of play, the first seeming like a cross between Myst, a classic item-based point & click and Dear Esther. Seems like they made the other area more "casual" to allow people to take a rest from the overly thinky-parts. An interesting idea to balance the two, but I wonder if it won't just seem like two different games mashed together.

Kevin
25-01-2012, 02:28 AM
Yeah. I couldn't agree more. All those AAA developers making those crappy point-and-click adventure games would do well to put their effort into creating the next generation of first-person shooters. They are holding back gaming. They deserve to die.

Even Serious Sam and Earth Defense force has more depth mechanics-wise than point and click games (which given that I've used those two games as examples, is really saying something). And no, a puzzle whose solution involves feeding a cop a mint slathered in slimy green goo of questionable origin to a cop does not equate to an intellectually stimulating game.

But I'm with a lot of people here. I'd actually be okay if it was an adventure game so long as didn't involve interpreting the inane logic of a tin-foil hat designer and it had a little more to it than rubbing every object in your inventory against every pixel on the screen.

"Something like LA Noire in a future setting would be neat-o. As in, not a straight action game, but not a point-and-click adventure either"

soldant
25-01-2012, 04:14 AM
And no, a puzzle whose solution involves feeding a cop a mint slathered in slimy green goo of questionable origin to a cop
Wait, there was a game that involved feeding a cop a mint slathered in slimy green goo of questioable origin, and then feeding that cop to another cop?

Kevin
25-01-2012, 04:42 AM
Wait, there was a game that involved feeding a cop a mint slathered in slimy green goo of questioable origin, and then feeding that cop to another cop?

Errr... Came back from a trip to the Department of Redundancy Department.

Grizzly
25-01-2012, 06:30 AM

Only those with low time to crates.

Nalano
25-01-2012, 08:07 AM
But I'm with a lot of people here. I'd actually be okay if it was an adventure game so long as didn't involve interpreting the inane logic of a tin-foil hat designer and it had a little more to it than rubbing every object in your inventory against every pixel on the screen.

I'm wondering if the grognard love for the more insane p&c titles (as well as text adventures) is merely a facet of Stockholm Syndrome.

I remember one such grognard, way back when I was RPing on h2g2.com, who relished in the perfectly sociopathic idiosyncrasies developers would design their games in, because it made him feel smart when, through sheer trial and error, he bulldozed through them.

His name was Afgncaap. It suited him.

coldvvvave
25-01-2012, 09:46 AM
a puzzle whose solution involves feeding a cop a mint slathered in slimy green goo of questionable origin to a cop
Seriously, f0ck that puzzle.

deano2099
25-01-2012, 10:43 AM
I'm wondering if the grognard love for the more insane p&c titles (as well as text adventures) is merely a facet of Stockholm Syndrome.

It depends how out of context they are. The solutions can be ridiculous as long as they fit in with the logical rules of the gameworld, and those rules are clearly established.

soldant
25-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Errr... Came back from a trip to the Department of Redundancy Department.
Quite possibly the best response in the vein of "Oops" I've ever read. Saved face, well done!

squirrel
25-01-2012, 01:01 PM
http://cradle-game.com (http://www.youtube.com/redirect?q=http%3A%2F%2Fcradle-game.com%2F&session_token=0XurzoDZTxb1jfnsqMJIv6wg0z98MTMyNzU4 MjY3OEAxMzI3NDk2Mjc4)

Bookmarked. Man I look forward to it.