PDA

View Full Version : ArmA 2: Combined Operations - We have our own server

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Unaco
09-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Are the Sunday folk sessions the only time folk play?

Don't think so. I've played on their box once when it wasn't a Sunday. They also use it for testing etc. I would think FOLK would want to keep their own server instance (with limited Mod whitelist, only their FOLK approved missions and their very neat mission lists), just like ARPS would want to keep their own server instance.

Elro
09-06-2011, 03:17 PM
Would love to come and repeatedly die in a couple of matches with the RPS community I just need to find somewhere that has CO for a reasonable price.

If anyone has used this service could you please tell me whether or not it is any good/reliable?
http://www.sprocketidea.com/joomla/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=33&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2&vmcchk=1&Itemid=57

kataras
09-06-2011, 03:23 PM
@Elro, it should be (although never tried it), is it not directly from BIS themselves?

I agree with Ansob in that I would like it to be able to keep mods etc. Apart from that I don't really have a preference, all countries are near France so it won't affect my ping... But maybe we should bear in mind that the server is not always as populated as the last couple of weeks?
And thanks Null for the hard work!

Nullkigan
09-06-2011, 03:27 PM
I don't see the point in running two instances of Arma on the same box, Null.

Folk has strict requirements regarding addons. We do not and occasionally throw in Fallujah, i44, whatever. I can't make the server hotswap between these settings because of the way mods work - they're either on the server and running or not present at all. So two instances would be better, even if we were to schedule things such that only one instance at a time is running. I'm gathering some usage stats to see if that's necessary.

Of course, we need to see how well the networking and disk IOs hold up against two instances running at once. The CPU usage seems pretty reasonable though. I can also set core affinities if I need to.

I think we'd be much better off just getting a server big enough for both Folk and ourselves, and just play together from now on, funding it 50/50. There's already a good amount of crossover and it would possibly save us some money and would mean we can get a server that performs better.

50/50 isn't possible, we outnumber Folk at the minute. If we were to match what they can offer, we'd actually have less money than we already do (but have a nice savings account, obviously). We'd still be able to afford Hetzner or Kimsufi servers. If we maximise both our budgets, we'd have ~120/month. Which is more than any of the servers I have bothered to price up so far.

I haven't yet thought about how to build up slack. It'd require discussion with Fer, but we could ask them to contribute their maximum (they can only do monthly commitments right now) on the assumption it goes into the treasury, against continuing to rent the server. Proportional refund on ponzi scheme collapse.

The Free Test Server is actually pretty damn powerful (i5-2400 sandybridge), and you'd be looking at either hexacores (i7-980), the 2500/2600 series, or dual Xeons to beat it. Which is part of the reason I wanted to test it :D

... and that we be able to put up other servers for stuff like KF, Brink, etc. - whatever we're playing basically.

This is much easier under Windows, which incurs an additional expense. We can *probably* afford it, though.

Would love to come and repeatedly die in a couple of matches with the RPS community I just need to find somewhere that has CO for a reasonable price.

If anyone has used this service could you please tell me whether or not it is any good/reliable?
http://www.sprocketidea.com/joomla/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=33&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2&vmcchk=1&Itemid=57

Yes. SprocketIdea is run by the devs, and my copy of Arrowhead comes from there.

Unaco
09-06-2011, 03:44 PM
My problem has been isolated and rectified, with many thanks to Null for finally nailing it down. Turns out it was a known issue with Linux DS, and something called the Maximum Transmittable Unit (or MTU), incase anyone else comes upon this problem.

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/18007

I tweaked the MTU settings on my end, and Null tweaked/fixed the settings on the server, and I'm now able to join/vote/download and play the missions that were causing problems.

Turns out I did come across the solution yesterday, mentioned in a couple of forum threads... but I'd said to myself that if I had to learn enough to start my own ISP, then I wasn't going to bother. In the end, it didn't involve that much work though.

Joseph-Sulphur
09-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Righty-ho, does the golden yacht need some extra bullion? I think I'll leave the choice of what box to choose, but I'll gladly stump up some more lucre if it's required.

Nullkigan
09-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Righty-ho, does the golden yacht need some extra bullion? I think I'll leave the choice of what box to choose, but I'll gladly stump up some more lucre if it's required.

It's not, really. The question is more which provider we go with, not whether we can afford it. There are a full four or five months until the agents will be sent around again.

I'm trapping some rather detailed usage statistics from the server, which should make for some fun graphs. Linux: tricky, but powerful.

Joseph-Sulphur
09-06-2011, 04:14 PM
So I guess the question is whether you can tame linux. You do have a few more days to see if you can whip it into submission though.

Alex Bakke
09-06-2011, 04:42 PM
I spoke to Fer a couple of days ago, and he said the only reason that they don't allow Mods, is to make sure that no one uses ACE. So we could just have a groundrule of 'No ACE'.

Unaco
09-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Also, not having to listen to any of you jabber was blissful tonight. Xenu Squad Best Squad.

Dammit! I was on Xenu's squad, and would have been there to bask in the glorious silence as well, if I'd been able to connect. Keep me a slot for next time. Or, we could just organise our own old-man, quiet squad.

Nullkigan
09-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Darn tootin'

Elro
09-06-2011, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the quick replies, I bought it from sprocket so I should be able to join in on some of the action soon.

Joseph-Sulphur
09-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Arma 2 Free has been announced. (http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/09/arma-2-free-announced-multiplayer-free-and-released-in-june/)

What!?!! WHAAAAT?

y2rich
09-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Don't suppose that means that OA will be cheap anytime soon does it?

Looks like you'll still need the full game to play mods anyway.

Nullkigan
09-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Cheaper than 8.60 (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=operation+arrowhead&hl=en&biw=1920&bih=1040&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=QxXxTcSCN-Xz0gHhzcTPBA&sqi=2&ved=0CEoQrQQ) / 13.33 (DD) (http://www.sprocketidea.com/joomla/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=32&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2)?

The no mods thing isn't particularly huge. Optional clientside mods are nice, but not strictly necessary. The big question is whether it will play well with Combined Ops servers? There are very few A2 only ones remaining, and Chernarus isn't exactly stellar for showing people how well the game runs.

y2rich
09-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Already dropped then. It was 12 online cheapest last time I looked. Thats that purchased then. Will be online to join you guys over the weekend once I've gotten used to the controls if thats ok.

Ansob
09-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Apologies for the TKs on Evo gents, my action menu kept crapping out just before I clicked to select the artillery computer.

Joseph-Sulphur
09-06-2011, 09:46 PM
I don't care what anyone says, I won the Takistan derby! I have the power!

kataras
09-06-2011, 09:49 PM
from tonight: (you can also see why I lost the race...)
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/163/arma2oa2011060822281770.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/715/arma2oa2011060921431852.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/225/arma2oa2011060921534579.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/691/arma2oa2011060922120812.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/268/arma2oa2011060922343285.png/

edit: first one is from another night but its cool.

StrangLove
09-06-2011, 10:05 PM
I like taxing the server. I got to kidnap egg with a helicopter. 'Who said we were going to the airfield?'

Brnin8r
09-06-2011, 10:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4uG5c-fc6Q (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4uG5c-fc6Q)

Anthile
09-06-2011, 10:48 PM
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/540644840989181686/AD0A1641E23801A0CFB4C0BF32A8DA5369AEBAAF/

All there is to know about ARPS sessions.

GraveyardJimmy
09-06-2011, 10:55 PM
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/540644840989181686/AD0A1641E23801A0CFB4C0BF32A8DA5369AEBAAF/

!!Important note!!

Alex is bad enough to be able to get killed twice.

Nullkigan
09-06-2011, 11:13 PM
Some hardware monitoring stats from today:
http://www.ranthold.com/images/usage_thumb.png (http://www.ranthold.com/images/usage.png)
http://www.ranthold.com/images/usage.csv

I think we're good on that front. Little disappointed that the secondary threads use so little CPU though.

Bodge
09-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Good to see the experiment worked well. Been busy with work but will be around at the weekend.

P.S. Alex is just jealous of the sexy MAAWS skills.

y2rich
09-06-2011, 11:36 PM

Artillery cock up or did someone crash the transport?

Got OA downloading know so may be on tomorrow night if someone fancies showing me the ropes. Bit further removed from Op Fap than I expected.

Unaco
10-06-2011, 12:12 AM
Artillery cock up or did someone crash the transport?

We're trying a new server provider, hence the stats from Nullkigan above. We were playing one of the heavily scripted, dynamic, capture the whole map type missions called GITS EVO, to put as much stress on the server as we could with it. It mainly involved everyone jumping in some sort of exotic toy (heavily armed military vehicle) and acting like children - which is what we wanted. I think at that particular screenshot, someone had maybe satchelled were we were all gathered, or had called artillery down on our own base.

But crashing transports do happen. Rarely nowadays, but they do still happen.

DarkTAO
10-06-2011, 12:42 AM
Egg has told me I need to get back here to the RPS forums and get cracking on some ArmA II gaming, so here I am :)

y2rich
10-06-2011, 07:06 AM
We're trying a new server provider, hence the stats from Nullkigan above. We were playing one of the heavily scripted, dynamic, capture the whole map type missions called GITS EVO, to put as much stress on the server as we could with it. It mainly involved everyone jumping in some sort of exotic toy (heavily armed military vehicle) and acting like children - which is what we wanted. I think at that particular screenshot, someone had maybe satchelled were we were all gathered, or had called artillery down on our own base.

But crashing transports do happen. Rarely nowadays, but they do still happen.

Definitely sounds like my sort of game. OA has downloaded now. Any addons/maps/mods I need to get hold of before I can join in?

Harlander
10-06-2011, 08:05 AM
You don't need any in particular. Some are pretty nice to have, like vopsounds, and the one that makes your compass big.

y2rich
10-06-2011, 08:11 AM
Assume the missions download off the server like they did in the original Flashpoint?

Anthile
10-06-2011, 08:17 AM
Yup. Unless it's an extra map, like Fallujah.

Ansob
10-06-2011, 11:17 AM
We should probably try to get 30-odd in on Sat to see how the server behaves with that, before we settle on a provider.

Edit: also, there was one problem with the new box - everyone was desyncing for the first five or so minutes after connecting. Unaco mentioned that it looked like people had very little bandwidth to the server at first, which is what caused the issue. Might be worth investigating as it seemed pretty obviously related to the server and not individual clients.

fer
10-06-2011, 01:15 PM
Comrades, shall we run the Folk session on the French Death Star this Sunday as well? Also, and forgive me for asking if this is an old question, but have we attempted a test with both the game and VOIP servers running on the same iron?

Unaco
10-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Edit: also, there was one problem with the new box - everyone was desyncing for the first five or so minutes after connecting. Unaco mentioned that it looked like people had very little bandwidth to the server at first, which is what caused the issue. Might be worth investigating as it seemed pretty obviously related to the server and not individual clients.

It wasn't as long as the first five minutes. They were de-synched when they connected, but it went away quite quickly. Also, I think it was only xerk/AstuteCat that had it definitely, although I think someone else did mention it.

As for getting as many people on as we can... We were planning, either tonight or tomorrow, or both, to put up a Steam RPS Group Event Announcement, to get as many people on as we can, see were the limits of the server are.

Nullkigan
10-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Comrades, shall we run the Folk session on the French Death Star this Sunday as well? Also, and forgive me for asking if this is an old question, but have we attempted a test with both the game and VOIP servers running on the same iron?

Game/VOIP: Not yet. On the to do list.

Folk Instance: I've run into a slight snag that I need a couple of hours tonight to sort out. Mostly because I clutzed the file management a bit. It doesn't really help that half the files on the server are from the original german release whereas I have the english ver locally.

(AKA I need to nuke it and copy over the other instance again)

We should probably try to get 30-odd in on Sat to see how the server behaves with that, before we settle on a provider.

This could be a linux thing, or it could be a datacentre thing. All I can say is whenever you have trouble, give me a tracert.

Of course, tracerts aren't completely accurate as the OVH DDOS protection policy is "we don't care about ping or tracert packets".

Ansob
10-06-2011, 01:30 PM
It wasn't as long as the first five minutes. They were de-synched when they connected, but it went away quite quickly. Also, I think it was only xerk/AstuteCat that had it definitely, although I think someone else did mention it.

I did, as did a couple of other people.

It was only one or two minutes though, true.

fer
10-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Game/VOIP: Not yet. On the to do list.

Understood. If bandwidth is an issue then you might want to prioritise this test over anything Folk-related (since we can safely assume that if the box is able to handle the demands of the RPS set-up, it can handle anything Folk throws at it).

Folk Instance: I've run into a slight snag that I need a couple of hours tonight to sort out. Mostly because I clutzed the file management a bit. It doesn't really help that half the files on the server are from the original german release whereas I have the english ver locally.

No problem at all. Thank you for your continued heroism in the engineering section, comrade. We are hoping this is not like that scene with the arc welder in K19, but I hope you will understand why I have ordered the hatches to be sealed for now.

Joseph-Sulphur
10-06-2011, 05:36 PM
Don't worry, if we have plenty of fresh radiation sponges on standby in case of an emergency (egg, alex, etc)

Liqourish
10-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Hrm, first test with TS3.
Doesn't seem great so far.

Nullkigan
10-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Game/VOIP: Done. 46.105.98.126:9987 (RPS) 46.105.98.126:9988 (Folk). Usual passwords.

Folk Instance: Done. Needs missions (all lowercase, no curvy brackets, spaces allowable but underscores preferred).

Talking to Multiplay: ???

Results of testing TS3: The people say "OH GOD STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT"

Liqourish
10-06-2011, 09:50 PM
It's a shame that TS3 seems so generally horrible, when features like channel commander and the whisper lists seem really neat. Oh well.

Anthile
10-06-2011, 10:16 PM
One flew over the MG nest. (http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/540644841006050854/1DFE03BC0A7B55EC57C73FB193AF19E998A3ED8D/)

Joseph-Sulphur
10-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Hah, I love the "mines!!!" hint in the top left corner.

GraveyardJimmy
10-06-2011, 11:31 PM
Results of testing TS3: The people say "OH GOD STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT"

TS3 quality got a LOT better (imo) when we set it to 10. However, I find the usefulness of the mumble overlay almost indispensable, I have a fairly small monitor (1280x1024) so having a nice clean overlay (along with fps counter) in mumble is really handy.

I also crashed a few times when using TS3 and also TS3 crashed when I tried to set up a whisper command (incorrectly! Thanks for helping me sort it out properly).

Alex Bakke
10-06-2011, 11:37 PM
I also crashed a few times when using TS3 and also TS3 crashed when I tried to set up a whisper command (incorrectly! Thanks for helping me sort it out properly).

Yeah - I crashed whilst using TS3 twice.

Unaco
10-06-2011, 11:50 PM
Quite a lot of people were having issues with TS3, or were having issues this evening. It might have been because we were playing Rolling Shotgun at the time, and that was causing some issues. I point this out because some of the people who were playing are also present for the FOLK evenings, and have no major issues with TS3 then. Also, the Channel commander function, now I've got it sorted out, is actually going to be quite powerful and quite useful. Like what we tried on Tacticool Tuesday, with each Squad Leader and the CO having whispers just to them (and their own squad, so they know when to hush up)... with Channel commander, we wouldn't have to change that Whisper list at the start of each mission, or as SL's change, because we'd just get those people to change their Channel commander status.

I think, if the stability issues can be overcome, and after we've had a while to get familiar with it, know to change quiet people's volumes up, and loud people down, and everyone's got an overlay if they need it, it would be marginally better than Mumble (for the channel commander thing mentioned above, so we don't have to change any of our whisper lists between missions).

Liqourish
11-06-2011, 12:18 AM
Changing the whisper lists isn't really an issue for me - it's not as fast as with channel commander, but it's not exactly time consuming.

Is there a different plugin we can use for a non-horrible overlay?

fer
11-06-2011, 05:52 PM
As ever, all RPS comrades are invited to tomorrow's Folk session, which will be conducted using the new servers. Cross-posting from the Folk forum:

When is the test?
The regular Folk ArmA 2 session on Sunday 12 June 2011 at 19:30 UK (20:30 European) will be run on the new servers.

New servers? Is this both ArmA 2: Combined Operations and TeamSpeak 3?
Yes, we will be using new game and VOIP servers during the test.

What are the addresses?
Here are the details you require, comrade:

ArmA 2: Combined Operations
Address: 46.105.98.126
Port: 2402 (note this differs from the default 2302 port)
Password: freedom (same as before)

TeamSpeak 3
Address: 46.105.98.126:9988
Password: freedom (same as before)

Are the rules about permitted client-side addons/versions the same as before?
Yes, please connect using vanilla or with authorised versions of STHUD and CBA.

Is anything else going to be different about this session?
No, although you may want to investigate setting yourself up to use Channel Commander in TeamSpeak 3 as there is a remote possibility that we will use it. The new TeamSpeak 3 server has different permissions, allowing anyone to toggle this feature.

So, why is all of this happening then?
The new set-up provides a capacity increase of 44 slots. With 64 slots we could build an unstoppable Tractor Rifle Brigade!

Who do we need to thank for this?
All good comrades are advised to make a point of thanking Comrade Admiral Nullkigan for his heroic efforts in the engineering compartment. However, the hatches are to remain sealed. Server K19 must complete its maiden journey on time.

:science101:

Liqourish
11-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Interesting session tonight. I think we tried a bit too hard not to be serious.

Swept was excellent, bodge (?) did great in command.

I actually liked insurgency, although it would have helped if the hellish war machine had more willing victims.
One cache seems like the best option, since you have a clear goal you're working towards. I'd like to try it again some time but maybe on a tuesday when people are more open to being tactical/dying in the hellish streets of zargabad.

It was a fun challenge to try to coordinate a squad under such conditions. Couldn't have been fun to command though. My sympathies to DW.

Anthile
12-06-2011, 12:08 AM
Very funny, who installed the Lovecraft mod? (http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/542896805673769834/8945A316D1E83881F74F5164D667923F3F7BB6FA/)
...guys? (http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/542896805673385540/2886B0B835F4AFADEBA38AC947ED48D4A11E7E3F/)
*skzztt*

Unaco
12-06-2011, 12:47 AM
The fate of Squad Bravo on the streets of Zargabad (http://steamcommunity.com/id/unaco/screenshot/577799702783772448).

Insurgency was OK this evening. But could definitely be better. It's a nice idea for a mission, but there were definitely issues with it. BluFor could definitely do with a base that spawns in a safe location, so we don't have to deal with two angry Technicals within 30 seconds of spawning, followed by everything blowing up. Also, each squad is 5 men, which is a little too small to survive in the nightmare of Zargabad... Each squad was getting cut up, then holing up to heal, moving 10-20 metres, taking hits, stopping to heal and so on. We really didn't get much cleared or make much headway. Better idea would be to have 2 squads of 5 in a team together, and have them work with each other, or fewer but larger squads (3*6 or 7). After the chaos at the start, we ended up having all four 5 man squads off on their own, were they weren't able to be effective.

One other thing about today, and about the ARPS server in general I think, what with more and more new people joining in these days... There are a mix of people that play on the server, and there is a vast, vast amount of things that can be done in ArmA and the Editor. There is a multitudinous array of different mission styles and flavours, and many different roles and ways to play. Unfortunately, a lot of these things are somewhat mutually exclusive... they can't really happen at the same time. We can't have people flying whatever they like and causing havoc happening at the same time as others are trying to do something quite organised and coordinated. We can't have missions with all the toys available for free and without restriction and not expect them to turn into chaos. If we have people going and doing their own thing, by themselves, it becomes a case of "look what I can do", rather than "look at what we just did". And while chaos and lone wolf stuff is sometimes fun, and we'll do it occasionally ("stressing the server") I don't think it's why the majority of us are playing ArmA in a somewhat organised community. We're not 'serious' and I don't think we really have 'rules'. But we should all be playing with an idea of etiquette I suppose, and with manners... understand that there are lots of other people on the server and (unless we're playing Adversarial) we don't really want to do things to spoil the fun of others.

On that note, some of the things that were happening this evening were quite disruptive, and although done in the spirit of fun, didn't really carry across that well. And besides... if we want chaos and crazy things happening, we just need to play together, as Wolfenswan and his mines!!! will tell you, or those IED's and the Warlord taking over our squad, or the deadmans satchels in Sabotage, or the mad rush on Kettle, that Cacheola were my IEDs were 1/4 of a second late and only disabled the last Humvee, Bodge carjacking people.

But one thing I think we can all agree on, is that horrible f*cking missions like that lemon we played near the end, with the Cargo plane floating, static, 1,000 meters up, with 25 people fighting over ammo crates as your spawn, before dropping out and slogging 2K, should never be chosen.

Owen
12-06-2011, 01:03 AM
Thanks for letting me play with you guys it was definitely fun and a big change of pace from the last group I played ARMA with; the derided milsimers of Tactical Gaming.

Although I did shoot someone in the 2nd missions alt-tabbed to change my Mumble group and then clicked the ARMA icon, when I came back in it registered as a shot :( the Peacekeeper mission was a blast.

I agree with Unaco and generally lean on the realism side vs Domi or Insurgency but am glad that you guys can do that while keeping it light and enjoyable. I know it's hard to organize such huge groups so big props to anyone in any leadership roles.

Unfortunately I'm a pushup'ing jumpin-jackining Yank so I doubt I'll be able to play on weekdays but I'm glad to play with you guys on the weekends.

Liqourish
12-06-2011, 01:46 AM
There's also the matter of there being good silly missions vs bad silly missions. We really should make a concerted effort to purge these lemons from the server, keeping only the ones that are genuinely fun.

SIDENOTE:
Another one of the big problems of insurgency is the inventory system. Picking a weapon from a crate would just be so much easier. I lost precious time yesterday, trying to figure out how to get NLAW ammo.

Nullkigan
12-06-2011, 02:24 AM
All the missions currently on the servers are backed up somewhere. Sometime next week (e.g. after the Final Decision), I'm going to nuke everything then only add in missions we know are good. So I'd like you to start making a list of those, even if they're "widely" known to be excellent, on Bodge's spreadsheet here (https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?hl=en_GB&key=tcerHEXWQhdGNENX6DJKqPA&authkey=CP_B2esE&hl=en_GB#gid=1). If it's not vouched for, it doesn't go on the server.

Given the way that linux works, nobody will have direct mission upload access. This is because SOMEONE will forget to apply the basic naming scheme and it will subsequently cause the server to explode. No uppercase letters, no round parentheses () and no special characters (%# etc).

Liqourish
12-06-2011, 03:22 AM
Are all the folk missions automatically in?

Poindexter
12-06-2011, 03:24 AM
Yay, I'm one of the dead guys in Unaco's picture!

Ahem, anyways. It's great fun coming and playing on RPS's sever when I can (which is not very often considering I'm in the USA). I'm not even available during most weekends to play :( However, seeing as how at least a few other North Americans are playing on the weekends, maybe we can organize something for us during the week (after the Brits have gone to bed [I'm sure anyone would be happy to let any insomniac Brits to play too]). Is there any interest in that sort of arrangement at all?

Batolemaeus
12-06-2011, 11:21 AM
The fate of Squad Bravo on the streets of Zargabad (http://steamcommunity.com/id/unaco/screenshot/577799702783772448).

Insurgency was OK this evening.

I disagree.
It was pretty much the bottom of the barrel of the missions I've seen on the server.
The spawn was FAR too close to just about anything, and very compact. Within seconds of starting the mission there was already fire incoming while people were still struggling with the glitchy loadout selection. Incidentally, halfway through the mission I was only starting with ammo for my sidearm and the script refused to give any ammo for my rifle even if I specifically selected ammo in the loadout and saved..so I was basically running around with my sidearm hoping to find someone I could loot in peace, which obviously I couldn't.
It played essentially like a retarded version of counter-strike with a team deathmatch script, something I'd rather not experience again in arma.
The other missions before that were fine, although the one where we were sandwiched and there was no revive, while intense, dragged on for a while. There was also nearly no time to organize any resistance, which is a bit meh as some people spawned with mines and satchels. Personally, I didn't expect the enemy to have super speed and never got to touch off my satchel trap which would've wiped out half of the advancing infantry.. :(

StrangLove
12-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Null, before you nuke the server could you please send me copies of Air-A-Tak(CO) and CARMA-GEDDON, I'd like to preserve them even if they don't belong on the new server.

Unaco
12-06-2011, 12:13 PM
I disagree.
It was pretty much the bottom of the barrel of the missions I've seen on the server.
The spawn was FAR too close to just about anything, and very compact. Within seconds of starting the mission there was already fire incoming while people were still struggling with the glitchy loadout selection.

Like I say, there were issues, with the spawn being one. And maybe, just maybe, people's first reaction when a missions starts shouldn't be "Let's find the Ammo crate" and maybe should be to check the perimeter. I didn't think the loadout was that incomprehensible anyway... seemed a lot like the Warfare one, but without the money. As I say, there were issues though... some things that need looking at if we're to play it regularly. The spawn issue is easily fixed I would have thought, and if the problem with your loadout was a bug (and not just confusion with the loadout) and it happens frequently, we can always switch it back to standard ammo crates/loadouts. And, although these are bugs and issues, they aren't bugs and issues to do with the mission... they're to do with the execution/implementation of the mission. The mission itself, if we get round those issues (and maybe use larger squads, 2 squads working together), could be quite good I reckon. Intense, quite close quarters combat in a tight Urban environment, with little heavy toys to play with, dependant on our team mates and our superior rifles.

But really, if you think that is the bottom of the barrel as far as missions on the server go, you've a lot to experience

The other missions before that were fine, although the one where we were sandwiched and there was no revive, while intense, dragged on for a while. There was also nearly no time to organize any resistance, which is a bit meh as some people spawned with mines and satchels. Personally, I didn't expect the enemy to have super speed and never got to touch off my satchel trap which would've wiped out half of the advancing infantry.. :(

The enemy don't have Super speed. They get dropped off just West of Chaman(?) and they run in on foot... there are no scripts that make them float, or make them run faster or walk through walls. And we're not supposed to be engaging them, wiping them out, or supposed have time to organise a resistance. We've been caught with our pants down and are supposed to be making a strategic retreat ("fleeing"). The forces to the West are supposed to be a constant pressure, slow but steady push in our back, forcing us to engage with the holding forces.

Joseph-Sulphur
12-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Nul, is there any way for non-admins to look through the missions on the server (with their actual filenames) to facilitate spreadsheet editing?

Nullkigan
12-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Nul, is there any way for non-admins to look through the missions on the server (with their actual filenames) to facilitate spreadsheet editing?

I have added a tab to the spreadsheet with all current mission pbos (https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ar7RUGCZ5dFTdGNlckhFWFdRaGRHTkVOWDZESktxU EE&hl=en_GB) (inc filesizes) listed. There are several from islands (e.g. eden) that never got used.

fer
12-06-2011, 01:34 PM
The enemy don't have Super speed. They get dropped off just West of Chaman(?) and they run in on foot... there are no scripts that make them float, or make them run faster or walk through walls. And we're not supposed to be engaging them, wiping them out, or supposed have time to organise a resistance. We've been caught with our pants down and are supposed to be making a strategic retreat ("fleeing"). The forces to the West are supposed to be a constant pressure, slow but steady push in our back, forcing us to engage with the holding forces.
Unaco's quite right: the point of Swept is to replicate a Soviet-style block-and-sweep operation against the Mujahideen, so the emphasis is on fairly rapid contact followed by constant pressure from the west that will drive you eastward into the blocking force. However, the helibourne troops start in the air and have to land, form up and begin moving through the village at perfectly normal speeds. Crucially, the briefing screen gives you the luxury of planning the initial dispositions of your fireteams and no crate-worshipping is required: you begin your mission with perfectly good loadouts (as is the case for all Folk missions). From the moment you spawn, you should be running to your assigned position, ready to engage the enemy.

The key reasons why Folk missions do not feature crates (at the beginning of missions) is that they soak up time at the start and complicate the planning. Ideally, the CO should know - from the briefing file - what troops and assets s/he has to use, and be able to formulate and communicate a plan before spawn. That way, people step off know where to go from the moment pressing the 'W' key has an effect. That's not to say crates have no value as re-supply points, but it makes commanding hard when the platoon is combat ineffective for the first 3-5 minutes.

Joseph-Sulphur
12-06-2011, 02:35 PM
I have added a tab to the spreadsheet with all current mission pbos (https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ar7RUGCZ5dFTdGNlckhFWFdRaGRHTkVOWDZESktxU EE&hl=en_GB) (inc filesizes) listed. There are several from islands (e.g. eden) that never got used.
For some reason the spreadsheet is locked for me.

edit: nvm, I can access the new tab from the previous link you posted. I added a few missions and comments on them.

Head
12-06-2011, 05:37 PM
All the missions currently on the servers are backed up somewhere. Sometime next week (e.g. after the Final Decision), I'm going to nuke everything then only add in missions we know are good. So I'd like you to start making a list of those, even if they're "widely" known to be excellent, on Bodge's spreadsheet here (https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?hl=en_GB&key=tcerHEXWQhdGNENX6DJKqPA&authkey=CP_B2esE&hl=en_GB#gid=1). If it's not vouched for, it doesn't go on the server.

Given the way that linux works, nobody will have direct mission upload access. This is because SOMEONE will forget to apply the basic naming scheme and it will subsequently cause the server to explode. No uppercase letters, no round parentheses () and no special characters (%# etc).

Well if you have apache and php i could write a small script that allows authenticated people to upload maps(auto sterilized names).

Also i would love for a organized warfare session because that's just bloody funny (at least on utes)

Nullkigan
12-06-2011, 05:48 PM
Any special requirements for apache/php versioning?

I'm a little leery about allowing web services on the box in case script kiddies hit us. I'm not exactly on top of the security game beyond "don't run anything as root".

Head
12-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Nope no special requirements.

I never had any problems with Apache and php concerning security.

Nullkigan
12-06-2011, 06:00 PM
OK, I'll go try setting something up. Glad you took my concerns as about apache/php rather than your own coding abilities, I only just realised it could have been taken that way :)

Meatloaf
12-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Although I did shoot someone in the 2nd missions alt-tabbed to change my Mumble group and then clicked the ARMA icon, when I came back in it registered as a shot :(So that's how I started shooting at random, killed that man in front of me at spawn, and subsequently got executed by firing squad. Huh. I was wondering about why I my soldierman did that. I certainly didn't compel him as such.

Good times, folks. I didn't really have a problem with the Insurgency missions, but then again, I have no idea what I'm doing, so perhaps with more experience, they would be more annoying.

fer
12-06-2011, 06:02 PM
On channel commander (cross-posting):

So, how do I set up Channel Commander?
It's pretty straightforward. To begin with, you need to choose a key which you'll use as your PTT button for Channel Commander and set up whisper-list. Here's how:

In TS3 go to Tools > Whisper Lists (Ctrl+Shift+W)
Click on New (in the bottom-left of the dialog)
Set a Hotkey (the suggestion is: H)
Set Whisper to: to Groups
Set Group Whisper Type: to Channel Commander
Set Group Whisper Target: to Complete Channel Family
Click OK
You're now set up to use Channel Commander, but there's one last step: to use it you need to toggle it on. You have two choices here:

Right-click your name in the playerlist and select Channel Commander
Set-up a hotkey (or combination, such as Shift+H) to toggle Channel Commander on/off
If you opt for the second, here's what you need to do:

In TS3 go to Settings > Options (Alt+P)
Select Hotkeys from the icons on the left-hand side of the dialog
Click Add to add a new hotkey (it's the Add button on the right)
In the dialog that pops-up click on Show Advanced Options and the list of possible Actions will expand
Under the action Channel Commander select Toggle Channel Commander
Now set a hotkey or hotket combination (the suggestion is Shift+H)
Click OK, then click OK again to exit the Options dialog
Also, you will want to do this:

In TS3 go to Settings > Options (Alt+P) Select Whisper from the icons on the left-hand side of the dialog Under Settings for Received Whispers uncheck Always show whisper history when receiving a whisper You may also wish to uncheck Play notify sound when receiving a whisper, or you can change the sound played under Settings > Options > Notifications > Special > Incoming whisper

Monty
12-06-2011, 06:04 PM
I notice my Reciprocity 2 mission has been played. Could I ask for some feedback?

What I'm principally interested in is my code to teleport the team (in time and space) between each encounter. Does it work ok? After each convoy is destroyed it should fade to black before your team reappears at the next ambush point. I was a little unsure if it would work correctly on a dedicated server.

I'll take a good look at the convoys to curtail as much reckless driving as possible (i.e. the motorbike outriders' wicked wheelies) and that they turn up in a reasonable amount of time. I'll also take a look at rearming the team between ambushes.

Also, I'm aware I left out a "You've failed!" trigger for if the convoy manages to escape your ambush.

Unaco
12-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Hello Monty,

Yes, the transitions between convoys worked fine. Though they were a little disorientating. I'd suggest NO rearm between ambushes... it forces us to use what we have smartly.

But that wasn't the real problem. I don't think we had a convoy behave as it should (or people don't understand "Stay out of sight" and were alerting the convoys) and roll down the road casually, onto our perfectly placed satchels.

Monty
12-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Thanks Unaco. Normal convoy behaviour in ArmA is quite crazy all by itself (although has been improved somewhat in the latest patch), so there's a good chance the problem may be mission side. I'll test it some more.

Liqourish
12-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Indeed, crates would be very odd in folk missions, since they generally are so much more focused. They make sense in some of the larger missions we play, since they tend to be sprawling with multiple objectives, and each squad might need to go back and rearm for a new task.

Looking forward to/anxious about the folk session tonight. Lots more RPS activity, will be tough to keep it folk-ish.

Liqourish
12-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Awesomely excellent folk session!

I was a little worried, seeing as we'd have lots of new guys, but it went excellently. I'd like to call out mort for being an excellent FTL, and SvDvorak for stepping up quite nicely after the entire lead element was crushed in that last mission.

fer
12-06-2011, 11:11 PM
Once again, thank you to our RPS comrades for joining the struggle tonight. It was an excellent session and I hope you enjoyed it as much as us. Cross-posting from the start of the AAR thread from the Folk forum (http://www.ferstaberinde.com/folk/forum/):

Missions:
Hunt for Azim
Highway LE
Cocktails
Moonless
... and this was on the new test server, K19, which didn't explode and in fact gave us the luxury of up to 64 slots! Turnout was excellent, with 25+ comrades battling for hours against those that would prevent us from creating an agrarian socialist utopia! Except for the missions where we were shooting ourselves.

Or being rocketed by our own UAVs.

:argh:

Still, it has to be remarked that our execution of Highway LE was almost floorless! Even better, when all the command and support elements were massacred mid-way through Moonless, comrade SvDvorak did an outstanding job of re-grouping, re-organising and leading the survivors to victory (with help from other excellent FTLs, some of whom had also stepped-up mid-mission). Frankly, it's easy to lead from the start - it's hard to find you 'have the platoon' mid-mission and pull everyone through, especially in an unforgiving non-respawn. I take my hat off to those who completed Moonless, and hope we'll see many or all of you next Sunday.

:hist101:

Anthile
12-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Or being rocketed by our own UAVs.

Yeah, whatever happened there? Considering that we had a designated pilot squad, I guess that was not scripted? If some squads would have been faster, we might have had lost a good chunk of our men in the incident.

fer
12-06-2011, 11:33 PM
Yeah, whatever happened there? Considering that we had a designated pilot squad, I guess that was not scripted? If some squads would have been faster, we might have had lost a good chunk of our men in the incident.

I have absolutely no idea :( We've played that mission many times and never encountered that issue. I would have restarted it or changed the mission if we had lost people, but as I understood it only the pilot was injured. For that, and the mission-already-starting wierdness at the beginning of the session, I apologise. Several key engineers in the design bureau have been re-assigned to Folk Siberia.

SvDvorak
13-06-2011, 12:22 AM
That was in my mind one of, if not the, best Folk sunday event I've been on. It was an absolute pleasure playing with you all and I can't hand out enough stars to everyone involved (although the AI flying the UAV gets a wag of the finger).

A wise man once said: "I love it when a plan comes together!"
I'd like to alter that and say: "I love it when a team works together!"
Mr T would probably agree too.

I'm very much looking forward to next tuesday and sunday for more tactical fun!

Liqourish
13-06-2011, 12:22 AM
Haha, that was quite frightening. I wanted to be impressive and was quickly leading my fireteam towards the chopper when I saw the UAV flying way too low and held up.

fer
13-06-2011, 12:26 AM
Cross-posting from the AAR thread:

Moonless

- CO: Fer
|- Medic: Tigershark

I wrote Moonless, so I know what has to be done. In practice, that doesn't mean a thing.

Phase one is straightforward: whilst ST1 scopes out the princple AO and marks targets, the rest of the platoon must ambush and eliminate a column of unsuspecting enemy infantry. We had rockets and satchels, but I knew we had to keep our RPG-7s for later; so it was to be an IED-led affair, with weight-of-fire to finish the job. I duly tasked Alpha, Bravo and Charlie with laying satchels before taking up (hidden) positions on the northern ridge; Delta and MMG occupied the southern ridge and were to act as primary lookouts. All other elements hid safely to the far north, partially as a reserve force, and partially because I didn't want elements like MAT1 taking casualties early on.

Enacting the ambush meant doing something TangoWrangler, a Folk comrade who played with us a while ago, taught me: have one side of the valley open up first, drawing the full attention of any survivors on the road, and only after a pause let your elements on the other side engage. That way, they're shooting the survivors in the back (and at a shallower angle if the survivors are mounting the opposite slope, seeking out the first of your elements to open fire). And although our execution was not this exactly, we made short work of the column for (almost) no losses on our own side. It was good teamwork.

Next, I formed Alpha, Bravo and Charlie fireteams into a 'squad wedge', aimed at the town in the princple AO but hidden safely behind a hill. I planned to fire this triangle of angry comrades at the town like a warhead, with MAT1 riding inside the formation; my plan being to get them into the cover of the town and fight outwards, rather than have them engage from the open terrain. However, somebody had to cover, so ST1 was joined on the hill by Delta, MMG, DC and CO elements. When the arrowhead of Alpha/Bravo/Charlie/MAT1 was halfway to target (the nearest buildings), the supporting elements on the hill opened up: killing technical gunners and infantry alike.

This is the point where, in a 1970s movie, we'd freeze the frame and zoom in (clumsily) on the truck-mounted ZSU at the T-junction. Because it wasn't at the T-junction; it was moving southwards along the road and hurling laser-beams of bright green death towards our positions high on the hill. I'm not sure if we took any casualties from that fire, but when Charlie's second RPG turned the angry AAA-unit into a fireball I was very grateful. Noticing the truck-mounted ZSU to the north-west, I asked ST1 to re-position and take it out; it was a fatal mistake (but, sadly, for our sniper): zeroing with shots invited a return pulse of accurate fire from the distant AAA-unit, and soon comrade spotter Bodge had to recover the bloodied SVD.

In the town below, our elements were amongst the buildings, shooting their way towards the centre. Casualties were taken, and I noted the loss of FTL comrade commisar Mort. My own medic, comrade Tigershark, was injured with me on the slope; I went to heal him, wondering why the report of our SVD sounded so similar to that of a Lee-Enfield.

:siiigh:

The enemy squad had flanked us, appearing above us on the slope and close enough to make each shot count. In moments, all supporting elements were down, and I began to hear the first of those anxious calls over TeamSpeak, as FTLs in the town repeatedly tried to raise me for orders.

I hope some of the surviving comrades will take a moment to write-up the rest of this mission, but I want to give a particular shout-out to comrade SvDvorak, who gamely stepped up to lead the remaining men. This is not a forgiving mission, with enemies repeatedly coming from many sides (even those you might have thought cleared). Comrade SvDvorak re-grouped, re-tasked the fireteams, and methodically ticked off the remaining targets to complete the mission. That's only the second time I've seen it done, and the only time without the Hind for support. Excellent job, all.

:v:

Nullkigan
13-06-2011, 01:22 AM
We have had repeated, lengthy discourse over the choice of VOIP server for the new box. A small minority have been excessively vocal on the matter, to the point where moderators have had to step in and cool things off. I'm hoping this post will educate you all as to the differences, or lack thereof, between the different types of VOIP software and what is currently going on at the administration level. I would prefer for you to make any valid points IN THIS THREAD, in a well reasoned manner with some thought behind it rather than over chat where (a) there is no record and (b) it moves so fast it makes my eyes spin around in my skull until the Red Rage comes out and someone gets hurt.

For those of you following from a distance, the matter under discussion is a possible switch of the Unofficial RPS Community VOIP server from Mumble to Teamspeak 3. No final decision has yet been made. Opinions of the users will be considered, but at the end of the day, it is up to the admins to enact either type of server so there is not going to be an explicit vote. There are several reasons why we may wish to switch between the different softwares, which I hope to expand upon below.

Firstly, let me give you a general feature list that both piece of software have in common:

Multiple channels, subchannels, etc.
Targetted communications (whisper lists)
Varying codecs and codec qualities (choice of SPEEX or CELT. Mumble currently uses CELT, TS3 defaults to SPEEX, both pieces of software can be changed at any time by the admins)
Automatic Gain Control (gain as in volume, for those of you who aren't of a scientific background)
Varying levels of user power (usergroups, acl, whatever you want to call it)
Password protections
Text chat
Overlays
Positional Audio (rarely used)

So, as you can see, there is a huge amount of core feature overlap. This is a natural result of competition for a userbase. I imagine Ventrillo and Mohawk have many of these features too.

The main differences between the software types arise in addons, licensing, and interfaces. Let's address a few misconceptions first.

1/ Many people expressed concern that there were no whisper functions in Teamspeak. There have been whisper lists in Teamspeak since before Mumble was first released. True, Teamspeak 3 initially released without them when it was a beta (It's now out of beta and up to RC2), but was forced to rapidly adopt them again and now has full whisper support. For an example of how to set these up, look at Comrade Fer's earlier tutorial on using Channel Commander.

2/ People have also said that volumes are not automatically controlled by Teamspeak. Again, this is not true. AGC exists (Settings -> Options -> Automatic Voice Gain Control), and is probably more flexible than mumble as you can manually tweak it in a config file (C:\Program Files\TeamSpeak 3 Client\config\ts3clientui_qt.conf search for AGC). Yes, it sucks that you might have to manually tune things but it beats having to tell people to get closer to their mic, and you can even apply an additional volume modifier to individuals from within the software itself.

3/ People have said that the overlay MUST be obtrusive and annoying: I have mine working similarly to the setup I have in Mumble (Settings -> Plugins -> DirectX Overlay -> Settings -> Display -> Minimal & Uncheck Show Server/Show Channel messages. Then go to the Colours Tab and set Window and Titlebar Opacity to 0. If this still doesn't work, once you are in game, press scroll lock, right click on the box, select minimal display mode and then choose to hide the titlebar. Press scroll lock again, and you're done!). There are also various other overlays for Teamspeak (http://addons.teamspeak.com/directory/plugins/overlay.html). This is advantageous because if one overlay doesn't work with a particular game, you can try another, unlike the single overlay available for mumble.

So, there are no major functional difference between the clients.

I realise that the above illustrative points may be taken as favourable of teamspeak, so I'll now be critical of it for a little while.

1/ Whisper lists are not quite as clear cut as in mumble. The differences between the various group options are not immediately apparent and are not explained anywhere. How, for example, do I create a whisper that will talk to a parent subchannel, and all children from that parent, but not a grandparent? This simply isn't documented anywhere at this time.

2/ AGC doesn't work as well as in mumble, so manual tuning (either through the software, or through the config files for a more universal approach) is required. Effort.

3/ The overlays don't seem as stable or flexible as the ones for Mumble. I personally cannot attest to this, as I have mine running rock solid, but other people are reporting issues.

4/ A bunch of crappy plugins are enabled by default, which fuck with your windows master volumes, collect personal info or allow remote access (intended for music or dice bots, but enabled by default?).

5/ Change is effort. Except I've already done it and so have most of you.

Now that we've had some reasonable discussion of the strengths and limitations of the software, focusing on percieved weaknesses that have been raised before, I'd like to make the arguments about why we may want to change. Arguments prefixed with a + are in favour of change, and with a - are against it.

+ Other ArmA 2 communities use it, mostly for ACRE. Whilst we don't use ACRE, being accessible to joint sessions with e.g. Folk is nice. Conversely, this would allow them (or other ArmA players) to join us without having to install new software.
+ It's already on the box, for Folk, as part of our agreement with them.
+ Whisper lists are better overall, thanks to the channel commander feature. Users can opt-in or out of the command circuit by flagging themselves as part of that group without anyone having to change their own settings. This is great for avoiding chat spillover even in dead-is-silent games. See Fer's guide for more info. (May be a feature in future Mumble updates?)
+ Volume per individual is pretty awesome.
(+ Admin stuff is a little more powerful by default, but that washes out quickly)

- We're not strictly on the radar as part of the ArmA-verse, and those who wish to play with Folk can simply load up TS3.
- There are also people who use the server but aren't part of the ArmA group, because we're nice.
- We still have plenty of resources left over for Mumble instead.
- Codec quality can be set even higher in mumble (I bet you can only listen to FLACs)
- The TS3 overlay is less mature and stable / plugins need to be disabled
- Switching over is effort (yet most of you already have both installed)

I hope I have convinced you all that I'm not blind to any perceived shortcomings in either piece of software.

My current personal inclination is to stick with mumble, but keep the TS3 server available. As I have pointed out before, we're providing one for Folk anyway.

You may now ask further questions regarding functionality, give opinions or anecdotal experiences, and generally make noise. Unaco has previously pointed out that many of you have played with Folk before (and therefore used teamspeak) but not had issues, so cries of "teamspeak killed my familly" need to be properly qualified, beyond a single circumstancial event. Hell, the mumble overlay crashes MWLL whenever I play it :(

-

Finally, a little link for OldmanBob on how to bind multipe push to talk keys, because he was politely asking about it, unlike the rest of you rantaholics:
http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthread.php/61234-Solved-Multiple-Push-to-talk-binds?highlight=hotkey

Harlander
13-06-2011, 09:25 AM
I prefer mumble personally, but I'm sufficiently used to TS's ideosyncracies that I'm OK with it. Basically, whatever the consensus turns out to be is fine by me.

Anecdotally, I don't seem to have been affected by the increased crashes that some people have experienced.

Ansob
13-06-2011, 09:44 AM
Null: yeah, wait, why can't we have TS and mumble on the server? Just have a single TS3 for Folk/whenever ARPS needs TS3, and keep the mumble server for everyone else.

Head
13-06-2011, 10:30 AM
I really couldn't care less all i think TS3 has abit of a bloatware status but of course it can be fixed ;D

Joseph-Sulphur
13-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Since TS3 worked fine on the new RPS box in all the missions we played except for Rolling Shotgun it isn't the end of the world I suppose. But although it was only one circumstance, quite a few people were crashing out because of it, or suffering slowdown. I think that in the end we lost something like one third of people playing.

GraveyardJimmy
13-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Since TS3 worked fine on the new RPS box in all the missions we played except for Rolling Shotgun it isn't the end of the world I suppose. But although it was only one circumstance, quite a few people were crashing out because of it, or suffering slowdown. I think that in the end we lost something like one third of people playing.

Also on Folks night (not just Rolling Shotgun) Wolfenswan, helios and bodge crashed (perhaps due to overlay? or the plugins?)

Joseph-Sulphur
13-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Also on Folks night (not just Rolling Shotgun) Wolfenswan, helios and bodge crashed (perhaps due to overlay? or the plugins?)
Oh, wow. I didn't realise that. That's pretty damning then, since folk missions are usually quite low stress. Try with absolutely NO TS3 plugins.

GraveyardJimmy
13-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Oh, wow. I didn't realise that. That's pretty damning then, since folk missions are usually quite low stress. Try with absolutely NO TS3 plugins.

I think with every plugin disabled (but obviously you lose the overlay) Wolfenswan said he didnt crash again.

Liqourish
13-06-2011, 12:23 PM
I think the main thing mumble has over TS3 right now is ease of use, which is rather important, since we're very welcoming to new players. Stability is fine from the start, and the overlay is excellent without taking any setting up.

Channel commander is useful on TS3, but those of us savvy enough to get it set up can just as well set up whisper lists on mumble.

So what I'm saying is that while TS3 has some awesome features (notably complaints) I think mumble might be a better fit for the community as a whole.

egg651
13-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Just wondering, is there a way to have positional audio for ArmA in TS3 (or even Mumble?) without needing to go the whole hog with ACRE? From experience in PR BF2, positional audio is pretty damned cool when it's done right - It's a great way for a couple of squad members to communicate between each other without greatly disturbing anyone else, and it's also the ideal place for the inevitable inane chatter that usually clogs up everyones ears in the main channel.

Ideally, it would be nice if there were three ways of communicating - Positional, Squad Chat and Command Chat. Though I doubt that this is possible.

Harlander
13-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Isn't the VON in-game positional?

Heliosicle
13-06-2011, 02:13 PM
I think with every plugin disabled (but obviously you lose the overlay) Wolfenswan said he didnt crash again.

Just to say - I had every plugin disabled and I still crashed. (This could have been due to something else however)

Folk night was reasonably fun, although being in Bravo on the ambush mission wasn't very fun, since we were right where everyone's missiles were hitting :(

"My current personal inclination is to stick with mumble, but keep the TS3 server available. As I have pointed out before, we're providing one for Folk anyway." Sounds good!

Alex Bakke
13-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Was going to argue, but yes. Mumble for ARPS.

egg651
13-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Isn't the VON in-game positional?
I discounted that on the premise that it's the worst positional voice chat ever.

IceRaiser
13-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Ideally, it would be nice if there were three ways of communicating - Positional, Squad Chat and Command Chat. Though I doubt that this is possible.

Just set up 3 different whispers. sadly Posi. is meh~ right now(ingame VOIP that is).
The way I set it up when I ordered all the squads into their death was a two-net setup, just like IRL(zomg!).
All squads have their own channel to talk BC and discuss shoppinglists while the CO and SL's have eachother on a whisper(Coy.Net) so all the SL's hear eachothers questions and reports as well as the CO's orders to the squads.

More on topic; Just like Liq said, Mumble is alot easier for newcomers to set up and overall a simpler tool.
For example, about 14 people have had to add +10dB to me 'cuz they can't hear me as well on TS3 as on Mumble.
Why? Mumble's got a better (I'm not even gonna try spell the real word) "normalizer".

But; considering that Folk(and the majori-tah) of the ArmA-verse uses TS3, there's no harm in us having a TS3 server and just using it when we tag along others on their adventures(remember, Sundays are Folk-nights. We're just invited) and use Mumble for our own crazy stories.

The biggest issues I see(they have all been mentioned) are:
TS3
Voice Normalization doesn't work properly
Overlay/autoenabled plugins makes ArmA crash.
the program crashes for some.
Very wierd whisper-setup that takes a while to figure out.

Mumble
Doesn't have the ease-of-command(channel commander, just frekkin rightclick yourself!) that TS3 has.
Can take a while to finetune the settings.
If your voice is low even after you've played with the sliders, other users can't add dB gain.

oldmanbob
13-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Finally, a little link for OldmanBob on how to bind multipe push to talk keys, because he was politely asking about it, unlike the rest of you rantaholics:
http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthread.php/61234-Solved-Multiple-Push-to-talk-binds?highlight=hotkey

I figured out how to do it, it wasn't possible in earlier versions of TS3 - it is now and fairly simple.

I have no strong preference either way - both recognise my joystick's hat button as an input device, which is the only make-or-break deal as far as I'm concerned, and I'm used to using both already, because I use both frequently already.

StrangLove
13-06-2011, 07:32 PM
about 14 people have had to add +10dB to me 'cuz they can't hear me as well on TS3 as on Mumble.

I added 20 DB, just so I could hear you more :3

SvDvorak
13-06-2011, 11:49 PM
Here is a crosspost from the Folk forum about the mission-making competition. It is totally legit and not edited at all. Promise.
Ok, but not changed alot.

When is the deadline again?
The deadline is not on Sunday June 12th but instead on Sunday 3rd July.

RPS is amazing too.

Go forth and make missions!

Batolemaeus
13-06-2011, 11:51 PM
head and I just managed to get the server down to 9fps in zargabad using Warfare Be with only a small amount of towns, so all the fighting essentially focused around the town itself.
Sadly, while using only a few towns does make the mission a lot more focused and a lot less boring, it also slows down income considerably. I'm not sure how to improve income generation without modifying the mission itself, but even some good ol' infantry combat with just some light vehicles is fun considering that the mission has many more weapons (read: toys) than vanilla warfare.

Nullkigan
14-06-2011, 12:30 AM
Hmmm. Well, I've seen the old server got as low as 4-5 fps on some missions, inc. domi. Could be a Linux issue (there are reports of poor performance on the BIS thread for this release of the server binaries) but it might be more that the mission simply does get that complex. Zarg has a lot of complex pathfinding, and Warfare AI is fairly complex. Thoughts?

Oh, and PHP/Apache are now ready on the server. In addition to filename sanitisation it'd be nice to have restrictions on filesize/filetype, and three upload locations restricted by password. I can probably make things work by cloning the script and using some htaccess fuckery to keep things simple for that last part. I don't know PHP, but I have hacked my way through various other bits of code so I can refine something from a framework.

And I caved and installed mumble-server on the box. 46.105.98.126 default port no password you will have to register yourselves again if you have complaints or issues give me links to fixes.

Head
14-06-2011, 08:30 AM
started work on it about halfway trough support for three different passwords and three different upload location so far.

Also maps comes in Pbo's? right? Do you know if arma cares if they have the pbo exstention?

Edit: Ofcourse i mean missions and not maps.

kataras
14-06-2011, 08:59 AM
I don't have anything to add to the Mumble VS TS3 debate, as I haven't used TS for a long time.
Regarding the crashes though, has anyone tried starting Arma2 and then TS3? How did it go? Does the overlay work in that case (mumble doesn't)? And did it crash? For some reason Arma doesn't like other software interfering with it...

Batolemaeus
14-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Hmmm. Well, I've seen the old server got as low as 4-5 fps on some missions, inc. domi. Could be a Linux issue

Or an issue with the fact that it was 32 slot warfare with a few dozen choppers and 300+ ai crashing into buildings. :P

Nullkigan
14-06-2011, 11:40 AM
started work on it about halfway trough support for three different passwords and three different upload location so far.

Also maps comes in Pbo's? right? Do you know if arma cares if they have the pbo exstention?

Edit: Ofcourse i mean missions and not maps.

A typical mission will indeed be "missionname.takistan.pbo". Ideally, missionmakers would use something easy to identify like "rps_co20_mission_name_v4.takistan.pbo". The names in the mission selection menu do not necessarily have any bearing on names of files (example: stillborn eagle was BHD.shapur.pbo for the longest time).

Or an issue with the fact that it was 32 slot warfare with a few dozen choppers and 300+ ai crashing into buildings. :P

Well, that's not so bad then!

Head
14-06-2011, 12:47 PM
A typical mission will indeed be "missionname.takistan.pbo". Ideally, missionmakers would use something easy to identify like "rps_co20_mission_name_v4.takistan.pbo". The names in the mission selection menu do not necessarily have any bearing on names of files (example: stillborn eagle was BHD.shapur.pbo for the longest time).

Well, that's not so bad then!

Well i have something workable now just going to comment the code and il send it you.

Ansob
14-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Argh. My Carcharias has just arrived and it's amazing (especially the mic sound), but I won't be around for TT tonight. Sadface. :(

DWZippy
14-06-2011, 01:59 PM
I want to be here for TT, I'll see what I can do. [Also need to change my soldier name from "JAKE".]

Owen
14-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Think there might still be some TT going on around 10 GMT, when I get off from work?

Alex Bakke
14-06-2011, 03:05 PM
We'd probably be coming to the end of the night, so you wouldn't get to see any big operations - I'm sure a few would still be up for some small missions.

Owen
14-06-2011, 03:41 PM
:(

You guys are tempting me to move back to London. All I want is to play some ARMA, why are there so many obstacles in my path?!?

Joseph-Sulphur
14-06-2011, 05:11 PM
:(

You guys are tempting me to move back to London. All I want is to play some ARMA, why are there so many obstacles in my path?!?
Well you should've thought of that before you moved to dirty foreign land!

Nullkigan
14-06-2011, 06:43 PM
With the aid of the esteemed PiD, I've figured out a near-equivalent for channel commander in Mumble.

As usual, create a whisper that is targetted at: Channels -> Parent (with subchannels ticked). In the restrict to group field, enter #cc (note the hash).

Now when you use that whisper, only people with the cc access token can hear you. To get this access token, you go to Server->Access Tokens->Add and type in cc (no hash this time).

You can use this to opt in and out of command circuit chatter. Please use 'cc' for command circuit, so we don't have people stuck using HQ, comcirc, chancom, or whatever tags. We can also have a 'generalchat' circuit for people who like gunporn or other noncritical jibberjabber.

The only disadvantage is that this is cumbersome in comparison to right clicking yourself or setting up a shortcut.

E: From now on you can only access the HQ subchannels if you have the cc Access Token enabled.

Batolemaeus
14-06-2011, 07:04 PM
I'm running out of push-to-talk buttons for different channels.
Any suggestions? :-|

Liqourish
14-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Bind ` (or ~ if you're a silly american) for PTT, then use 1234567 etc for channels. Make sure you suppress the keys though, or arma will think you're commanding people.

Last time we played domi I used ` for PTT, 1 for alpha, 2 for bravo, 3 for charlie, 4 for all SLs, and 5 for everyone. Obviously you need less the further down you are on the chain of command.

Mouth of 10000 Teeth
14-06-2011, 07:28 PM
I got this (Combined Ops version) on the weekend. As a one-time Op Fap vet, I'm very pleased with it indeed. As the one-timeness in question was many years ago, I'm also bloody awful at it and playing through one of the campaigns to learn the ropes again. Obviously the end goal is to get into multiplayer because that's where all the fun is, but I'd be interested in tagging along on the server if:

1) I'm welcome.
2) I manage to get good enough to not die the moment I come within 3 miles of a slightly hostile patch of moss.

And when I've got some sort of comms thing sorted. I've got a horrible feeling that my current headphones-mic combo is the one that turns my screen pink and hangs my computer, so I might need to shop about to fix that first. I've tried following the thread, but am a little confused about the comms software situation - do I need Mumble, Team's Beak, both or a couple of tin cans and some string? If I can't join in immediately then I'd at least like to get everything in place so I can start playing <s>as soon as the missus goes out</s> at the earliest point after that.

Batolemaeus
14-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Bind ` (or ~ if you're a silly american) for PTT, then use 1234567 etc for channels. Make sure you suppress the keys though, or arma will think you're commanding people.

Last time we played domi I used ` for PTT, 1 for alpha, 2 for bravo, 3 for charlie, 4 for all SLs, and 5 for everyone. Obviously you need less the further down you are on the chain of command.

That one is used to select all units. Probably not used for most rps missions though, so..good idea.

//edith: No wait, it's not. yay.

2) I manage to get good enough to not die the moment I come within 3 miles of a slightly hostile patch of moss.

You can help me with my role as a bullet sponge.
Also, mumbling is rps's preferred style of communication, right after punching each other in the ribs.

Owen
14-06-2011, 11:21 PM
"Pvt. Owen we're taking this village watch out for enemy vehicles, keep your AT ready."
---
"Pvt. Owen here I see an enemy APC 12 oclock halfway up the hill."
---
"Where I don't see it?" <-- Probably should've been my first clue...
"12 oclock halfway up the hill, it's firing on the town; going to take a shot."
KABOOM <-- Proudest ARMA moment ever!

and...

Owen killed bodge Friendly Fire
Owen killed wolfenswan Friendly Fire

:( <-- worst ARMA moment ever.

Sorry for killing your guys fun and all.

Nullkigan
14-06-2011, 11:31 PM
I've updated the IP addresses in the OP.

With mumble, I use mouse4 (thumb1) for channel chatter, mouse5 (thumb2) for command channel and kb_numpad1 (numpad 1) for shouting to all (parent & subchannels). Caps lock (default) is also available for in-game.

Don't worry about those additional binds, we'll ease you into it if necessary. In a couple of days time I'll have an updated VOIP thread (including typical setup FAQs) ready.

Anthile
14-06-2011, 11:53 PM
"Pvt. Owen we're taking this village watch out for enemy vehicles, keep your AT ready."
---
---

and...

Don't worry, that mission went pretty disastrous anyway. Getting in from two different sides was not a bad idea but we executed it fairly poor. I also ended up murdering Dvorak. Accidentally.

Wolfenswan
15-06-2011, 09:17 AM
---
---

and...

no hard feelings, this is rps. but you'll probably have to do 100 squats the next time joseph gets to be the commander.

was that an unguided rocket btw.? no bad shot at all.

Harlander
15-06-2011, 10:23 AM
The Cacheola we played with me as the Platoon Command group's medic was nicely intense, sending info up and down the chain of command, rushing about to heal people, getting eviscerated by an IED then executed...

kataras
15-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Sounds like fun you had last night...
I could not join you guys but I ll be around during the week and finally will be able to play Sunday with FOLK.
As I understood, we re still using Mumble but should also get TS3 and configure it at least (for Sunday)?

fer
15-06-2011, 11:16 AM
... but should also get TS3 and configure it at least (for Sunday)?
Yes, you'll need TS3 for the Folk sessions.

Ansob
15-06-2011, 12:06 PM
With the aid of the esteemed PiD, I've figured out a near-equivalent for channel commander in Mumble.

Huzzah, no need to move ARPS to TS3. \o/

Maybe there's a plugin for mumble that lets you add/revoke tokens on yourself via a shortcut, so you can toggle cc on/off at will?

Owen
15-06-2011, 02:35 PM
no hard feelings, this is rps. but you'll probably have to do 100 squats the next time joseph gets to be the commander.

was that an unguided rocket btw.? no bad shot at all.

Yeah it was unguided SMAW. I also hit an (actual) enemy BMP at the end of the mission from a far distance as well. It wasn't moving at the time though.

Liqourish
15-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Neat! More rocket-snipers is always good to have. I'll make sure to try and bring you along if we do precision maaws bombardments in domi or something like it. (Drop ammo crate -> everyone takes a maaws -> shoot at tanks 1000+m away -> get infinite ammo from crate.)

Joseph-Sulphur
15-06-2011, 06:01 PM
The Cacheola we played with me as the Platoon Command group's medic was nicely intense, sending info up and down the chain of command, rushing about to heal people, getting eviscerated by an IED then executed...
Spectating that was excellent. You crawled agonizingly slowly into Nulkigan's field of view, and then got your back filled with lead. If its any consolation Helios put a bullet between his eyes shortly afterwards.

Nullkigan
15-06-2011, 06:32 PM
The IEDs did their job, which was to panic you and let me rain GP25s down on the other two members of your command section until they expired. Your execution was a bonus.

And then I got shot wondering why none of you had worthwhile antivehicular capabilities, leaving PiD and Unaco to death or glory (it was death, but Unaco at least managed to take someone with him).

Anthile
15-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Our first boss fight in ArmA: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/541771335587469176/5054FB7BA1973B0EDA8843DCD3B3D79CEA4D169D/

It was strange. The end of the mission where we roleplayed was glorious, though.

kataras
16-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Can anyone using Blastcore answer me this pls:does R1.2 include the previous stuff for tracers and particles or it comes in addition to those? I m formatting and re-installing tonight so would like to know to add or not. Also the performance hit is the same as previous version or more? thank you!

y2rich
16-06-2011, 11:38 AM
New GFX card should be arriving today in theory. Any graphical addons I can look into getting?

Liqourish
16-06-2011, 12:02 PM
Blastcore makes for prettier explosions, otherwise there's plenty of things you can max out in the display options. Heck, even after you've maxed out all the normal things, you can increase your 3d resolution, so it's like you're playing on a 10 000 x 10 000 screen, scaled down.

kataras
16-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Yeap it is prettier and the tracers being more visible help a lot. I can't check now but I think I m using blastcore and the noblur mod. There is also one somewhere which removes the black borders in 3rd person nightvision (they annoy me).
Maybe someone else can add some more gfx mods to this.

Head
16-06-2011, 03:59 PM
According to BIS forums you will be able to use ARMA2 Free and OA to create CO Lite

Yay. (I own arma2 tho) XD

Bodge
16-06-2011, 05:32 PM
That is indeed good news.

El_MUERkO
16-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Good games tonight all.

For those that don't have them, two mods that make life easier are:

Instant View Distance (http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7139) which fixes the 'fixed multiplayer view distance' issue and allows you to raise/lower detail settings {if you play on PvP servers they may kick you for having this active}

oktNoBlur (http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=10222) which stops the blurring effect of post processing but leaves the other effects alone thus improving performance and getting rid of annoying blur.

Harlander
17-06-2011, 09:22 AM
That blur remover should be a real boon. The turning blur, as much as I like it as an idea, really makes my el-cheapo GPU grind to a halt.

SaintElmo
18-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Hey RPS crowd,
I finally got around getting ArmA 2 and a decent headset lately and thought of joining this rather magnificient crowd for a nice coop session - although I'll probably end up as a corpse you'll have to drag home with.
Are you gonna play tonight? If so, what else do I require to jump in (except for Mumble, as it seems? I only got TS3 installed right now) - any mods or some such?

Nullkigan
18-06-2011, 11:29 AM
All the info you need should be in the OP. You can be my guinea pig for testing how complete it is :)

(Short answer: Operation Arrowhead or Combined Ops, no mods required, you may use any clientside mods you like, and don't worry about being new / 'bad' at the game. Mumble and (occasionally) ingame VON for communications.)

SaintElmo
18-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Sounds awesome, thanks for the quick response! When do you guys start? I'm sitting in GMT+1, but as most of you are UK-based anyway that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

P.S. Well, if client-side mods are allowed, are there any you would recommend to a newcomer to decrease the noob-specific suckage factor by at least 10?

P.P.S Never mind, should have read the first post more carefully :) *facepalm*

Batolemaeus
18-06-2011, 12:27 PM
P.S. Well, if client-side mods are allowed, are there any you would recommend to a newcomer to decrease the noob-specific suckage factor by at least 10?

P.P.S Never mind, should have read the first post more carefully :) *facepalm*

fthud, linked in the op for folk sessions. It really helps against the confusion.

Unaco
18-06-2011, 03:01 PM
STHud, I think is the one Botalemaus was recommending. I'd second the recommendation... all it adds is a small radar, bottom centre of your screen, that shows where the other members of your Squad/Fireteam. Is very useful for figuring out what direction they've all ran off in, where they are relative to you, that sort of thing. Will also be very useful for someone new, so they can stick close to their squad.

For game times, like you say, we're mostly on UK based time... which is BST just now, so GMT+1 (just now its 2pm GMT and 3pm BST for example). If we're doing a special or planned night/session, we'll usually jump on about 7pm - 8pm (usually 730pm if we need a set time)... though you might find people going on early, around 6pm GMT... or games just picking up at random times. Most of the ARPS regulars tend to loiter/idle in the Steam RPS Chat room, so if you're looking for a game or advice etc, jump in there.

Also, as Nullk says above, don't worry about being new or 'bad' at the game. The only type of play we're going to look down upon, or get angry with, is if you're messing around, wasting hardware, causing grief, that sort of thing. If you jump on, and play in the spirit of the game, we won't give you a hard time. I mean, how long has Joseph been playing? And he still couldn't hit a stationary Taki at 50yards.

Mouth of 10000 Teeth
18-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Sorry if this isn't the place for it, but I'm buggered if I can find a coherent answer anywhere else:

In the editor, how do I setup artillery support that allows me to select the type of rounds (HE, smoke, WP etc.) being used? The SOM module just gives me HE and also makes the other support options available, which I don't want. If anyone has any simple code to allow repeated arty strikes that can be of any ammo type, I'd be very grateful if they could share it with me.

Monty
18-06-2011, 05:26 PM
How to set up Arty with the SOM (http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Artillery_Module#Using_ARTY_with_the_Secop_Manager )

And this certainly is the place for it (at the least it's the place where we can point you to the place for it).

[Edit] Also, put this in your SOM init field to turn off the random mission generator:

this setVariable ["settings", [[], true, nil, nil, false]];

Mouth of 10000 Teeth
18-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Cheers, but I tried that. All I get is the single type of artillery fire as an option, along with the ammo drop, request units, A-10 etc.

What I want is a single option that will allow me to call in support from artillery (virtual) and select from the 9 types of barrage. Preferably I'd like to be able to limit the uses of each type of barrage independently, but if not then I can live with that. I don't want the other support types.

To be honest I can't really follow the stuff on the wiki you linked to, it seems to assume a lot of implied knowledge that I don't have or really know how to get. I'd been working from that and can get the basic SOM working, but it doesn't do what I need it to.

Liqourish
18-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Hohum. That could have gone better.

Suggestions:
- Air support from the start.
- A plan of attack before we start flying over to the town we're to capture
- Properly set up squads.

Even though it's saturday, I think we could do with a bit more organization to increase fun for everyone involved.

Alex Bakke
18-06-2011, 11:07 PM
Personally, I found myself not having fun due to the organisation involved, so I left quite early on. I don't think that ArmA on Saturday nights should be focused on huge operations that require logistics, radio comms, intricate chain of command. If Domi's to be played, then it should be a 'Ok, how about we all jump in the chinook and try HALO jumping, that should be fun.' kind of night. If people would prefer to keep Domi to 'tactical' nights (Which IMO is silly as it's a perfect sandbox for experimenting), then I think keeping it to short missions could work.

Monty
18-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Cheers, but I tried that. All I get is the single type of artillery fire as an option, along with the ammo drop, request units, A-10 etc.

What I want is a single option that will allow me to call in support from artillery (virtual) and select from the 9 types of barrage. Preferably I'd like to be able to limit the uses of each type of barrage independently, but if not then I can live with that. I don't want the other support types.

To be honest I can't really follow the stuff on the wiki you linked to, it seems to assume a lot of implied knowledge that I don't have or really know how to get. I'd been working from that and can get the basic SOM working, but it doesn't do what I need it to.

Ah, what you're doing wrong is that you're using the "Simple Support Module" instead of the "SecOp Manager". I've uploaded a mission with arty set up for you to use.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R1LQSE2C

Extract this to your missions folder which you'll find in the ArmA 2 directory in your My Documents folder, then from the editor load "TestArty.Chernarus". The mission has both virtual and real artillery systems. The virtual system is triggered by Radio Alpha, the real one by Radio Bravo.

I'm not sure whether you can actually limit what types of ammunition you are allowed to use with virtual artillery pieces, so I suggest you use the real artillery system, which is easy enough anyway.

I have restricted the real artillery system (note the artillery module and the guns at the north end of the runway) to only let you use "HE & WP Fire for Effect" and "Adjust Fire". If you look at the "Activate Artillery" trigger, you'll notice this in the OnAct field:

[["artillery_barrage"], player, [[Ripper, [7,8,9]]], [true]] call BIS_SOM_addSupportRequestFunc; "Ripper" is the name of the artillery module sitting at the north end of the runway and the following numbers 7, 8 and 9 refer to the three fire modes I have allowed you to use. They correspond to the following:

Immediate suppression, high explosive - Fire 10 rounds as fast as the battery can.
Immediate smoke - Fire 6 smoke shells.
Immediate suppression, Willie Pete - Same as Immediate HE, but with WP.
Illumination mission - One flare munition every 10 seconds for 3 minutes.
LASER - Fire two laser guided HE shells.
SADARM – Stagger three SADARMs ten seconds apart.
HE Fire For Effect - Bombard with continuous HE for one minute.
WP Fire For Effect – Bombard with continuous WP for one minute.
Adjust fire - Fire two HE rounds at the target.

So if you wanted to restrict artillery support to only fire flares, you would use the following:

[["artillery_barrage"], player, [[Ripper, [4]]], [true]] call BIS_SOM_addSupportRequestFunc; I hope this helps. You might find it easier to just copy and paste this all into whatever mission you're making.

Heliosicle
18-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Hohum. That could have gone better.

Suggestions:
- Air support from the start.
- A plan of attack before we start flying over to the town we're to capture
- Properly set up squads.

Even though it's saturday, I think we could do with a bit more organization to increase fun for everyone involved.

-I think the reason it wasn't as much fun was because it was half way organisation. I'd say keep the organised assaults and such for TT.

-Having to ask if I can do something when we're just meant to be having a laugh, ok ask if you'll be taking something someone else wanted to use but having to request stuff seems a bit off. Could we have vehicles unlocked when its not TT? When I asked if I could use the a-10 people were just dismissive of it, I'm not much of an infantry combat guy I'm sorry I prefer flying.

fer
19-06-2011, 12:57 AM
Comrades, a reminder that there will be a Folk session as usual tonight (Sunday 19 June) at 19:30 UK (20:30 Central European). Details of the game and TS3 servers can be found in the OP. Please remember that you have to be running vanilla CO, or the approved versions of STHUD and CBA. If in doubt, please connect to the server before the session to verify your setup.

Tonight we shall be providing 30% more death, 100% more opportunities to crew some Shilkas, and 25% more 1980s visuals. Not one step back, comrades, not one step back!

SaintElmo
19-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Hey guys,

sorry I couldn't join yesterday, there was some spontaneous drinking interferring with my evening plans. Can't wait to jump on board and play a bunch of rounds with you, though! Thanks for all the help, I've got all the recommended mods installed and working now!

Unaco
19-06-2011, 01:13 PM
When I asked if I could use the a-10 people were just dismissive of it, I'm not much of an infantry combat guy I'm sorry I prefer flying.

There are plenty of Single player missions with the A-10 available. No one would be dismissive of you playing them.

StrangLove
19-06-2011, 03:43 PM
ARMA is getting far too serious, so I'll probably take a break and go play something else. I'll be on occasionally.

Alex Bakke
19-06-2011, 03:51 PM
There are plenty of Single player missions with the A-10 available. No one would be dismissive of you playing them.
No, stop being mean.

Unaco
19-06-2011, 04:14 PM
No, stop being mean.

I wasn't being mean. If you're playing a Single-player mission, you can do what you want... there is no one going to say "stop that, and come and do this". If you're playing on a Multi-player server, with multiple people on, you have to rein in your 'playing' somewhat, and play closer to an accepted and expected role. If the majority of the server didn't want him to fly the A-10, for whatever reason, then I don't think he should have been flying it.

Alex Bakke
19-06-2011, 06:35 PM
I wasn't being mean. If you're playing a Single-player mission, you can do what you want... there is no one going to say "stop that, and come and do this". If you're playing on a Multi-player server, with multiple people on, you have to rein in your 'playing' somewhat, and play closer to an accepted and expected role. If the majority of the server didn't want him to fly the A-10, for whatever reason, then I don't think he should have been flying it.

On TT, FS sure! But I think what Helios was trying was say was that on saturdays it shouldn't be so the commander's telling him he can't do something - there shouldn't be that level of control.

Heliosicle
19-06-2011, 06:36 PM

It wasn't that they didn't want me flying it (to my knowledge), no one did anything about it. Not many people are overbearing enough to just say "no you have to do what everyone else does". The "special" roles seem to be fixed to specific people - for example (but not the only case) bob almost always flies the a-10, I know he customised the mission but its still a bit of a fixed role from what I've seen. It seems like people are getting stuck in a rut of "this is how it should be". Maybe mix stuff up a bit?

Nullkigan
19-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Bob often flies the A-10 when he plays. He goes many, many months without because he quickly tires of some behaviours that the admin team has recently taken a stand against for organised events. When he does join in and fly he tends to a) do a very good job of it b) not hog it every god damn night like people used to before he locked all vehicles by default and c) rarely, if ever, gets shot down. If you've not played much recently and are coincidentally turning up at the same time as Bob, then that's simply bad timing. If you ask to fly the A-10 and someone outright says no, repeatedly, THEN we're in a rut.

Last night Bob fixed up a new version of Domi based upon people's bitching/requests. Against his better judgement he left in some features that act as a lightning rod for stupid play, so he wanted to run a semi-organised testing session as admin. People were around and joined in and many even said that it was 'serious saturday' (who comes up with this stuff?).

Personally, as long as Tuesdays and the join sessions with folk on Sundays are organised and thoughtful, I don't really care what goes on. I also mention the last saturday of every month as an announced event in the opening post of the thread. I'm hoping to kick off that tradition later this month as another semi-organised event.

If people want to designate a day for only sandbox/freeform/'silly' play, then come to a consensus and I'll add it to the OP.

Joseph-Sulphur
19-06-2011, 07:09 PM
No need to get excited about last night. Bob didn't make clear what level of organisation he wanted, personally I got a bit confused. You didn't get to fly the A-10 one bleedin' night, its hardly the end of the world.

Alex Bakke
19-06-2011, 07:10 PM
If people want to designate a day for only sandbox/freeform/'silly' play, then come to a consensus and I'll add it to the OP.

Saturday - Ensures that lots of people are able to play, as well as the fact that it's always worked out very well before.

It doesn't even have to be 'silly Saturday', just relaxed enough that it doesn't matter if we don't have whisper lists, and there's enough freedom to say 'Let's try this new tactic for a bit'

Alex Bakke
19-06-2011, 07:13 PM
No need to get excited about last night. Bob didn't make clear what level of organisation he wanted, personally I got a bit confused. You didn't get to fly the A-10 one bleedin' night, its hardly the end of the world.

Yeah - I wasn't aware of what OMB wanted, mainly I think because we had just come out of a sandbox warfare mission, and were just messing around.

Heliosicle
19-06-2011, 07:27 PM

I never said it was the end of the world, I don't fly an awful lot, maybe a bit more than other people but that's it. I don't get why everyone gets snooty about someone wanting to do something a bit different, all I ever get from people is hostility and sarcasm. The thing that got me a bit riled was that when I asked at the start I was told that no one was logged in as admin so no, however 10 minutes later when dvorak asked to it was unlocked for him?

oldmanbob
19-06-2011, 08:14 PM
On last night: I should have been more specific what I was looking for. I wanted to see how the Bradleys affected what is supposed to be a very infantry-centric mission, but didn't really get an opportunity to do so. As soon as it was clear the mission was going to shit I allowed Dvorak to have the A10 - I hadn't heard any requests for it up to that point, although before the first town I had no intention of unlocking it.

On Domination in general: Locking the vehicles provides us with a compromise between a completely sterile version with no armoured/air/rotary support; and one where everyone makes a beeline for the big toys so they have a chance of actually shooting something that session. It also creates a sort of value to the toys: If you break it, you're not going to get it back until an admin unlocks it again. It also allows admins to use their discretion in giving toys to those who are going to use them in a way that doesn't utterly destroy the mission for everyone else playing.

The reason I took on the role of Domination editor was because I like large-scale missions featuring cooperation and combined arms. Making one from scratch to do this is pretty hard, so I decided to use the Domination framework. I made the mission how I enjoy playing it (as well as fixing a few bugs along the way), and since I can't rely on people to police themselves and use the support in a considerate manner, I enforce certain aspects of teamplay where I can - because I know other people also don't enjoy being transported across Takistan to clear up the 4 guys the A10 and Apache crew have left unscathed.

If you wish to make a version of Domination that doesn't have these restrictions, you're welcome to do so. The compiler is available here: http://www.ranthold.com/dom_maker_new.rar (that's the latest n11.5 version that we played last night, including all my fixes and changes to date, courtesy of Nullkigan). I suggest looking around the BIS wiki and forums - Domination is a popular public mission, there's plenty of info on modifying the various aspects of it. If you can't figure it out yourself, frankly I don't want you using heavy weaponry anywhere near me.

kataras
19-06-2011, 09:29 PM
But why can't we find some solutions for all the above?

Like designating a 'silly night'? Having for example Thursdays as Domi night, where we can be as silly or serious as we like (depending on who shows up)? Or people who want to mess about all join one squad? (although that could still mess up the game for people who want to take it more seriously).

Or people who would like to fly but are not that good (I don't mean you Helios) could have some kind of relaxed training session? (Provided there experienced people with the time and patience to teach them) And then get some real practice during missions? I don't mind people crashing etc, personally I don't like flying but I can see the appeal.

I would just like to keep this serious/silly balance the server had up to now, without spoiling it for anyone and I am sure there are solutions (for example I prefer more silent squads so I try to join one with certain people but it's not the end of the world if people talk as well).

Last night was generally confusing for me, as it was not clear if we re messing about or not, but it happens and I m sure we can all deal with one bad night without resorting to arguing or blaming the admins (who already do a lot of work so we can play)?? Also First!

fer
19-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Once again, thank you to all ARPS comrades who came along to tonight's Folk session. Cross-posting from the relevant AAR thread in the Folk forum (http://www.ferstaberinde.com/folk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=306):

Missions:
Ivory Hunt
Warlords #1
Warlords #2
Flask
Fritz Frenzy
For the second session in a row we used the K19 server, and again enjoyed an excellent playercount that allowed us to play some adversarial missions. We also managed to do pretty damn well at the coops. Despite our CO falling off a roof in Ivory Hunt we cooked the enemy tank, and the bloodbath I had planned for you all in Flask came to pass ... except it was the enemy that got blood .. er .. bathed. Well done to comrade Ian and all others who stepped up and took leadership positions for the first time tonight.

The commissars are on their way to the bureau of mission engineering now. :commissar:

Apologies for the minor SNAFU with the second run-through of Warlords, but we'll get that fixed. It's great fun hiding in the town and waiting for BLUFOR to arrive and helpfully run into our bullets!

Nullkigan
19-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Like designating a 'silly night'? Having for example Thursdays as Domi night, where we can be as silly or serious as we like (depending on who shows up)? Or people who want to mess about all join one squad? (although that could still mess up the game for people who want to take it more seriously).

Or people who would like to fly but are not that good (I don't mean you Helios) could have some kind of relaxed training session? (Provided there experienced people with the time and patience to teach them) And then get some real practice during missions? I don't mind people crashing etc, personally I don't like flying but I can see the appeal.

I would just like to keep this serious/silly balance the server had up to now, without spoiling it for anyone and I am sure there are solutions (for example I prefer more silent squads so I try to join one with certain people but it's not the end of the world if people talk as well).

I think the issue is that Saturdays were unofficially silly and admins tend towards serious because I don't trust anyone under fifty with a sense of humour. As this may clash one night a month, moving "Silly night" to Thursdays may be a good plan, so it's EVERY THURSDAY EVER with no ifs or buts. Of course, this means I won't be playing on Thursdays very often. Every night except Tuesday is open to what the players want to do (and tuesdays are still pretty open, so long as you try to stay organised and communicate effectively), I think it's just that recently the people I've given the admin password to want to try something a little more structured.

I don't think anyone minds too much if someone who is bad at flying pilots for a while - I'm fairly terrible but I've done it several times in the past few weeks (and got shot down each time). It's not so much the being 'bad' at using the toys that is objectionable. It's the wanton waste, losing the toy several times over yet still getting much more action than the poor bastards on the ground, especially when coupled with respawn. This is why Bob has locked the toys in Domi - you get a turn, then the admin lets someone ELSE have a turn. The game may simulate 'combined arms' but 'combined arms' is no fun for the infantry :)

Whilst training sessions might appeal to new players, I really think it's making a mountain out of a molehill because we won't hate you if you crash. Unless you're Alex Bakke, who seems to do it on purpose. If someone really wants to practice flying online, they can simply jump on the server and start a mission with aircraft. If nobody is around, they can't complain at all when you crash :D
(Note: to do this with domi, you probably need to #vote admin your_own_nickname)

Batolemaeus
19-06-2011, 10:56 PM
I'm always afraid of the shutdown command.
Does it do to the server what I think it does when I voted myself as admin?

Nullkigan
19-06-2011, 11:00 PM
Dunno, never used it. Probably? But the server should come back up automatically because it's in an autorestart wrapper.

Batolemaeus
19-06-2011, 11:06 PM
I set up my own linux dedicated server on one of my testboxes. I'll try it out later.

Brnin8r
20-06-2011, 12:21 AM
Had fun tonight look forward to more folk ARPS play.

kataras
20-06-2011, 09:07 AM
[QUOTE=Nullkigan;7944] so it's EVERY THURSDAY EVER with no ifs or buts.

Eh I don't wanna be blamed for moving a popular night to some time mid-week... Was just a suggestion.

I don't mind people crashing either. It's fun. I manage to crash vehicles on land so I m not blaming anyone... I was just wondering how to make it more fair if everyone wants the toys... Or have toy night? Toy story etc?

Anthile
20-06-2011, 09:52 AM
I'm not really sure about the Warlords mission. What exactly is the point of fleeing as a warlord? If we keep it with the gentlemen's agreement, that the warlords don't try to run before they haven't spotted the enemy, then fleeing is only possible if BLUFOR is incredibly careless because the SUVs are so fragile and thus any attempt of flight is essentially luck-based. A smart commander will never underestimate the enemy and never base a plan on him making a fundamental mistake.
My suggestion to improve the mission would be to remove the option of flight but instead draw a circle around the village and if one of the warlords is outside of it for too long, he counts as dead regarding the victory condition. If possible, I'd also add a countdown once the BLUFOR troops enter the area and they have to eliminate the warlords in a specific time to win the mission.
BLUFOR have superior gear and vehicles and in an open firefight they're going to win - that's why the indies have the village as superior cover. However, once the warlords try to flee they have to give up the cover and BLUFOR has the advantage. As I pointed out before, no sane commander will attempt to flee and will rather hole up and then maybe escape once BLUFOR is down to a couple of scattered soldiers.
In my suggested version, the hole-up aspect would be a given and it would be a classic siege situation, where both sides have equal advantages. The whole circle thing would not only make the gentlemen's agreement unnecessary (and therefore make the mission more resistant to misunderstandings and abuse) but also hinder the warlords from wandering all over the map.

Of course, at this point it might already be a completely different mission altogether.

Liqourish
20-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Crossposted from the folk forums because I am cool like Fer:

I am going to post some AARs because they are fun to write and also comrade fer asked me to and it's 11:37am and I haven't slept so please excuse any oddities in my writing style (such as this run-on sentence.)

Warlords Round #1

I played as Warlord #2 on opfor, and while Warlord #1's plan was long and convoluted, involving distractions and fake SUVs, me and my bodyguard were just going to run away to the west and hide in buildings once the trigger fired, followed by making our way into the hills on foot, maybe calling for a ride once things had quieted down a bit.

However, blufor got totally destroyed by RPG fire and our plans proved unnecessary.

Warlords Round #2

This time I was a lowly AR in blufor, flying the littlebird above the humvee that the rest of my squad was in. The plan was for me to work as a scout/transport/rapid response in the eventuality that one of the warlords got away, but that proved unnecessary, as opfor were entirely murdered (not by me) after some trigger weirdness.

Flask

Ah, yes. Here are stories to tell.

I was in command of Shilka #2, having commanded a shilka the day before as part of the testing of this mission.

A few notes of those who didn't experience what the shilka's were like:
Everyone is locked to first person. This means:
- Drivers can only see directly in front of the shilka through a small slit.
- Gunners can only see what direction the guns are pointing in, unless the guns are firing, in which case the smoke obscures their view.
- Commanders have to turn out to see anything at all and still can't see behind or really close to the shilka, but still have to act as the eyes and ears of the vehicle. This means spotting hostile infantry as well as hostile small rocks.
- The gun cannot traverse below the horizon. This means that to get an angle on things down hills, you have to do some acrobatics.
- Our driver had some issues with his sound setup, so he couldn't really hear me clearly.

After some weirdness with infantry, we proceeded down the road, me occasionally shouting out to nearby infantry to get the hell out of the way because we might run them over - after someone gets too close to the front of the shilka, nobody can see them - not the driver, not the commander. It's a very easy way to get squashed.

We took out enemy infantry at long ranges without any major problems, until we reached the first little ridge thing before the town. Suddenly, a t-72 crested. Luckily, said t-72 also suffered from the same design flaws as our shilkas and couldn't shoot at us, and was taken out with relative ease by focus fire from both shilkas.

We continued advancing into the town, with relatively few incidents. We took out infantry and technicals that were far away from us with relative easy, moving cautiously forward.

At one point we rounded a corner to find comrade fer who had an RPG on his back. He miraculously survived the many many bullets shot into him before I told our gunner to hold fire.

Apparently that was not the only friendly fire incident. Later one, while eliminating some enemy infantry cresting to the northeast of town, we were blamed for taking out all of bravo squad.

I am still not sure about the details involved, I'd love for someone to enlighten me as to what happened there.

The rest of our push was relatively uneventful. At one point the other shilka was blown up, but not us. We were careful and took nary a hit.

Lovely mission, would gladly play it again.

Bodge
20-06-2011, 11:19 AM
For me silliness is as boring as hell. Relaxed missions are much better and slight organisation is a further improvement. If Thursday is genuinely going to be about mucking about then I doubt I will play any, if it going to be a relaxed affair then that is much more attractive.

Personally I like to experiment and try out new tactics but if everyone is given free reign to do whatever they like it defeats the whole point of arma. I am not opposed to having a less serious night but if it means mucking about is valued above completing the mission successfully then I will probably give it a wide berth.

One thing that makes things more interesting is that we have a much larger regular playerbase. It is not unlikely that an impromptu session grows to over 20 players. More players means that it is much less likely for individuals to be able to use certain assets. It also means we have to use missions that cater for the increased numbers many of which greatly suffer with a lack of teamwork and direction.

In short; what is the point of having a silly day? If it is just a relaxed day then we have those all the time.

GraveyardJimmy
20-06-2011, 11:28 AM
In short; what is the point of having a silly day? If it is just a relaxed day then we have those all the time.

I think the problem was that the night in question was not that it wasn't "silly", but rather people were splitting up into separate channels, self-appointing commanders and generally floating towards tactical tuesday (no changing loadouts etc).

Personally, I like both relaxed and structured gameplay, but on a saturday night focussing on being a super-effective part of an organised squad can change the atmosphere.

Wolfenswan
20-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Apparently that was not the only friendly fire incident. Later one, while eliminating some enemy infantry cresting to the northeast of town, we were blamed for taking out all of bravo squad.

I am still not sure about the details involved, I'd love for someone to enlighten me as to what happened there.i too have no idea, as i was def. hitting enemies and didn't even see friendlies. altough i shouted out "yes they are" as someone asked "are the guys on the hill to the east enemies"; maybe BRAVO got confused with the cresting rebels.

the last mission we played was ... interesting to say the least. unaco, iceraiser, sulphur, redkid and me started as a KSK team in an OP that was under attack while everyone else had to come to our rescue. we expected enemies reasonably close but still far enough to plan defenses and lay some satchels. what happened was that we spawned and OMGTHEYAREEVERYWHERE. it happened to me several times that i was aiming at a guy about 100m away just to have another guy suddenly appearing in my scope in spitting distance. we were down to only sulphur and me in less than 5 minutes and decided to pull back to some rocks. alas, only I did make it and hid like a man in foetal position to wait for my rescue which, despite having suffered losses on the way, did actually make it. what happened then - i don't really know. being sure that the mission was done i alt-tabbed to check on some stuff. back in the game, i was confused why we had rammed a tree and prepared to say something witty about egg's driving when i realized that everyone in the hummer but me was dead. i got out, didn't get any response via Com, decided to be awesome, took the steering wheel, headed towards the base and got killed.

Bodge
20-06-2011, 11:39 AM
But it was Bob wanting to test his new mission. A bit of structure would have been needed and it was a one off.

Unaco
20-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Liquorish/Wolfenswan... On the Shilka mission, someone was saying last night, after the session, that it was small arms fire, but definitely friendly, that was taking down Bravo. As Commander of Shilka 1, aka Red Fist, aka The Iron Viper of Destruction, I was responsible for 1 "friendly-fire" incident, on Igor... and for that I apologise most profusely. We came round some buildings just infront of the Mosque to get a view on that Eastern hill, and spotted 1 contact, crawling, around the bottom of the hill... I called out the contact, and Harlander put 1 short burst into it, before I noticed the squad of 5-10 Counter Revolutionaries cresting the hill, and had Harlander divert his attention to that. Turns out that crawling contact was Igor. Sorry. I'd checked my map, and wasn't expecting friendlies there (I thought you were all behind or ahead, or to the left and right but very, very close).

All in all, I thought that was a great mission. I spent the whole thing turned out, shouting at my crew - they probably could hear me fine... but there's something about being a tank commander that makes you want to shout. In German.

FOLK session was great, as usual. Warlords mission I did get a bit annoyed with. The first time, when I was in BluFor we a) decided to be nice and only take 1 Humvee with MK2 and 1 unarmed Humvee, and b) cocked things up completely from the start. Our CO drove into a stationary Helicopter, and blew up, and both FTs had 1 person drop, so were down to 3 members each. Then, our plan wasn't the greatest. We were supposed to move up with nice hills obscuring us, so we'd pop one humvee/squad up and rain down fire, before the next moved. Unfortunately, we got spotted and RPG'd just as we were coordinating to move in.

Then, second time when I was an OpFor Warlord, our plan was to set Alpha/Bravo at North/South of town, well hidden, ready to set up ambushes when the opposition had got close enough, and had moved into the town. We figured to take down their numbers, then punch out on escape when they were reeling from that. We got set up, and waited for BluFor to come to us... which they did, or so we thought, completely unannounced and without being spotted. They were within 100 metres of the compound and the Warlords and we hadn't seen them! That was frightening, so as a Warlord, I decided to jump in my SUV and run. I was almost to the safe zone when someone said "BluFor fucked up, we'll be nice and won't take that as the trigger". Turns out the UAV had come within the trigger zone and set it off (silly BluFor). We then decided our trigger to flee (or allow fleeing) would be when we spotted BluFor (us Takis were wary, we could smell an attack, but weren't certain). We then spotted BluFor (silly Littlebird coming into view), so I jumped in my SUV and decided to run! Then, when I was halfway to the safe zone again, we decided that wasn't the trigger, the trigger would be when BluFor opened fire... so there I was doing U-Turns in the desert driving back to town, with some people saying "they've opened fire, it's on" and others saying "no... Warlords come back", when they started shooting me, hit my fuel tank and then me. In future, I don't think we should be nice to BluFor. I'd only decided to flee the first time, because I thought they were right on top of us and our plan was shot. Second time, I could have been away, but got caught up doing circles, deciding if it was 'on' or not.

I might come back and put some thoughts in on what Bodge (and others) has said, but what he's said is quite close to what I think. Silliness is not why I play ArmA. It's not silliness per se though... Silliness can be good, if it's well regulated, highly organised cooperative silliness. What I'm more against is chaos... and what that leads to. If everyone is jumping in vehicles, and doing as they please, it becomes a case of "look what I can do", and not "look what we can do". That's the sort of thing you can do perfectly well jumping on a public server, or in a single player mission. It's the whole lone wolf (carrying a sniper rifle and a launcher and just trying to get as many kills as you can).

Also, something like an Apache or an A-10 in Domi is a game changer... it might be great fun for the person flying, but for the boots on the ground it can change a tight, intense city assault, into a cakewalk... just mopping up what the bird has left behind. That's what I mean when I say in a multiplayer server like ARPS, we have to think about everyone else's fun, as well as our own.

GraveyardJimmy
20-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Other than one comment about an A-10, everyone is talking about over-organisation. Why are people talking about "silliness"?

Head
20-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Could i request this mission to put be thrown up on the server ?

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=14547

kataras
20-06-2011, 01:42 PM
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:HyphenationZone>21</w:HyphenationZone> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Well as far as I m concerned, when I said silliness I meant relaxed, organized play without too much anal tacticality... I did not mean 'sow chaos and do whatever you want', I agree with Unaco that we can do in a public server... In the end, the reason we all play together this game is to play like a team.

And I also agree with Jummy and Bodge, it's exactly how I see it. We just need to find a balance and have days where we are tactical and days when it s more loose.

Joseph-Sulphur
20-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Then, second time when I was an OpFor Warlord, our plan was to set Alpha/Bravo at North/South of town, well hidden, ready to set up ambushes when the opposition had got close enough, and had moved into the town. We figured to take down their numbers, then punch out on escape when they were reeling from that. We got set up, and waited for BluFor to come to us... which they did, or so we thought, completely unannounced and without being spotted. They were within 100 metres of the compound and the Warlords and we hadn't seen them! That was frightening, so as a Warlord, I decided to jump in my SUV and run. I was almost to the safe zone when someone said "BluFor fucked up, we'll be nice and won't take that as the trigger". Turns out the UAV had come within the trigger zone and set it off (silly BluFor). We then decided our trigger to flee (or allow fleeing) would be when we spotted BluFor (us Takis were wary, we could smell an attack, but weren't certain). We then spotted BluFor (silly Littlebird coming into view), so I jumped in my SUV and decided to run! Then, when I was halfway to the safe zone again, we decided that wasn't the trigger, the trigger would be when BluFor opened fire... so there I was doing U-Turns in the desert driving back to town, with some people saying "they've opened fire, it's on" and others saying "no... Warlords come back", when they started shooting me, hit my fuel tank and then me. In future, I don't think we should be nice to BluFor. I'd only decided to flee the first time, because I thought they were right on top of us and our plan was shot. Second time, I could have been away, but got caught up doing circles, deciding if it was 'on' or not.

Whoever made the mission messed up the UAV module, we couldn't use it. It just flew in a straight line directly into a hill next to the town a few minutes after the mission began. Also, you probably wouldn't have gotten away, we were watching you doing U-turns in the desert from our up-armoured humvee, quite bemusedly. Our plan was to move to the escape route and intercept the warlords, which is why you both died straight away, the SUVs just came charging towards us with no escort.

Heliosicle
20-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Well as far as I m concerned, when I said silliness I meant relaxed, organized play without too much anal tacticality... I did not mean 'sow chaos and do whatever you want', I agree with Unaco that we can do in a public server... In the end, the reason we all play together this game is to play like a team.

And I also agree with Jimmy and Bodge, it's exactly how I see it. We just need to find a balance and have days where we are tactical and days when it s more loose.

I think having a "silly" night is a bit much, maybe a reasonable freedom night? Silly implies people tking all the time, which doesn't end up being much fun.

godwin
20-06-2011, 05:10 PM
I'm not really sure about the Warlords mission. What exactly is the point of fleeing as a warlord? If we keep it with the gentlemen's agreement, that the warlords don't try to run before they haven't spotted the enemy, then fleeing is only possible if BLUFOR is incredibly careless because the SUVs are so fragile and thus any attempt of flight is essentially luck-based. A smart commander will never underestimate the enemy and never base a plan on him making a fundamental mistake.
My suggestion to improve the mission would be to remove the option of flight but instead draw a circle around the village and if one of the warlords is outside of it for too long, he counts as dead regarding the victory condition. If possible, I'd also add a countdown once the BLUFOR troops enter the area and they have to eliminate the warlords in a specific time to win the mission.
BLUFOR have superior gear and vehicles and in an open firefight they're going to win - that's why the indies have the village as superior cover. However, once the warlords try to flee they have to give up the cover and BLUFOR has the advantage. As I pointed out before, no sane commander will attempt to flee and will rather hole up and then maybe escape once BLUFOR is down to a couple of scattered soldiers.
In my suggested version, the hole-up aspect would be a given and it would be a classic siege situation, where both sides have equal advantages. The whole circle thing would not only make the gentlemen's agreement unnecessary (and therefore make the mission more resistant to misunderstandings and abuse) but also hinder the warlords from wandering all over the map.

Of course, at this point it might already be a completely different mission altogether.

I would play this mission, I think it makes more sense. Either that, or the escape locations should at least be random, or randomised from a selection, kind of like the caches in insurgency mode (where opfor know, but blufor don't exactly). Also, perhaps civilians could be added to mix things up a bit, such that it's not obvious every SUV is a warlord or insurgent. There could also be a blufor-opfor force ratio for balance.

I thoroughly enjoyed Folk night (more of morning for me but hey) and look forward to more good times there and also with ARPS!

Alex Bakke
20-06-2011, 05:40 PM
I think having a "silly" night is a bit much, maybe a reasonable freedom night? Silly implies people tking all the time, which doesn't end up being much fun.

Yeah, I think there's a misunderstanding. What I thought the night could be, was what helios stated - a night where a system of radio comms aren't necessary, no one gets to 'command' per say; so there wouldn't be a hardline chain of command. More of a steady guidance, suggestions etc. And, if there are enough, then everyone could just be in the same channel, or two largeish squads, having a laugh together.

But I'd reiterate that it would not be an excuse to fuck around, teamkill etc. It would rather be a more relaxed night of ArmA; we'd still play missions, have a general plan for the mission and so on. I just don't want someone shouting at me for wanting to go for an M14 instead of an M4, or pushing up to a wall that's a few metres ahead.

Bodge
20-06-2011, 05:50 PM
That's what i dont get. What is being described is a regular arps night. The domi a few nights back was a one off.

Heliosicle
20-06-2011, 05:58 PM
That's what i dont get. What is being described is a regular arps night. The domi a few nights back was a one off.
That's the problem - it isn't like that any more. At least from my experiences over the past few weeks. When we play during the day its fine - not chaotic but relaxed, but it seems that people want to be in full control during the nights.

Alex Bakke
20-06-2011, 06:17 PM

I agree absolutely, if I followed the thread correctly though we've moved on from that and I was addressing Nullkigan's and Unaco's concerns that 'the new night' would be silly and chaotic. And it would be nice to officially get that style of night in as an event, to attract new people who will enjoy it.

IMO it should still be Saturday, not Thursday.

fer
20-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Perhaps an important factor in determining whether a session has become too rigid or relaxed is the nature of the missions selected for play. Some missions, including most Folk ones, are simply not enjoyable (or completable) unless all players act in concert. Other missions off a multitude of objectives and toys, and can allow players and groups of players to enjoy different experiences is parallel. Rather than label a night by an attitude, why not agree a gameplay or experience type and seek to run corresponding missions. For example, on Folk Sunday you are unlikely to encounter toys or revive. Perhaps on Sarurdays the reverse is true? Etc.

egg651
20-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Personally, I think we need some new missions to try. I don't mean a massive mission pack, but something individual that's been well thought through and is different enough from what we have at the moment. I mean playing a classic such as Stillborn Eagle is great and all, but sometimes you need a little more variety.

Bodge
20-06-2011, 11:02 PM
I agree absolutely, if I followed the thread correctly though we've moved on from that and I was addressing Nullkigan's and Unaco's concerns that 'the new night' would be silly and chaotic. And it would be nice to officially get that style of night in as an event, to attract new people who will enjoy it.

IMO it should still be Saturday, not Thursday.

If you agree completely then why are you proposing having a regular night as an event when it would happen anyway. Also Thursday makes more sense than Saturday as more people tends to work better with a bit of organisation and it would also clash with publicised events.

Alex Bakke
20-06-2011, 11:33 PM
If you agree completely then why are you proposing having a regular night as an event when it would happen anyway. Also Thursday makes more sense than Saturday as more people tends to work better with a bit of organisation and it would also clash with publicised events.

I agree, cool cool cool.

kataras
22-06-2011, 09:07 AM
So, a bit irrelevant but RO's date and price has been announced: http://store.steampowered.com/app/35450/?snr=1_4_4__13 (http://store.steampowered.com/app/35450/?snr=1_4_4__13)
Is anyone else thinking about getting it and would they want to join up?? I think I m gonna prefer this over BF 3, I m not gonna have time for 3 multiplayer games.

EDIT: Apparently Steam doesn't have a price but PC Gamer has it as US $40. With Steam's amazing conversion magics I m sure it's going to be 40 euros.

Joseph-Sulphur
22-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Oh wow, its coming out right around the same time as Deus Ex. I'm not going to see the light of day for a couple of weeks after that.

GraveyardJimmy
22-06-2011, 10:14 AM
So, a bit irrelevant but RO's date and price has been announced: http://store.steampowered.com/app/35450/?snr=1_4_4__13 (http://store.steampowered.com/app/35450/?snr=1_4_4__13)
Is anyone else thinking about getting it and would they want to join up?? I think I m gonna prefer this over BF 3, I m not gonna have time for 3 multiplayer games.

I am definitely buying it and would love to get an RPS clan or something. I have spent well well over 60 hours in just a mod for the original, so very much looking forward to this.

kataras
22-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Nice! Could I be the Political Commissar and hold a machinegun to everyone's backs in case they re thinking about running away from battle? I ve never played RO before but it sounds really good to me. I lost interest in BFBC2 after 2-3 months...

Joseph-Sulphur
22-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Yeah BFBC2 is quite meh. Better practice your shouting kataras. You'll need a hefty pair of lungs to drown out the gunfire, explosions and screaming.

y2rich
22-06-2011, 03:41 PM
I will be picking up the new RO. Loved the original nod back in the day

Bodge
22-06-2011, 09:34 PM
I would assume ARPS become AROPS pretty fast (or ARORPS if you want to be pedantic).

Liqourish
23-06-2011, 12:39 PM
ARPS? Pedantic? Never!

kataras
23-06-2011, 12:55 PM
after a quick trip to Dictionary.com I can say there is no one 'overly concerned with minute details or formalisms' in ARPS... Not at all! never.

Liqourish
23-06-2011, 01:12 PM
well wiktionary says:

Like a pedant, overly concerned with formal rules and trivial points of learning.
Being showy of one’s knowledge, often in a boring manner.
Being finicky or fastidious with language.

Which is slightly more complete.

kataras
23-06-2011, 03:05 PM
I have way too much work to be doing this, but I will start: σχολαστικός. I think this will be my new nick in-game from now on. Just have to capitalize some of the letters so it looks cooler...

Batolemaeus
23-06-2011, 04:01 PM
I have way too much work to be doing this, but I will start: σχολαστικός. I think this will be my new nick in-game from now on. Just have to capitalize some of the letters so it looks cooler...

You are SO teamkilled.

Nullkigan
23-06-2011, 07:28 PM
I've put an A2 Free server up for a while. Should come up if you filter for RockPaperShotgun or RPS. Not much in the way of missions for it, though.

Jonnyb
24-06-2011, 02:15 PM
I've put an A2 Free server up for a while. Should come up if you filter for RockPaperShotgun or RPS. Not much in the way of missions for it, though.

Hi all - new to the scene!

I have had a go on here but am totally clueless! I am looking to get the full game but am rather confused by the multitude of editions/expansions available (i.e: http://www.arma2.com/shops/index_en.html )

Can someone advise me on which ones to buy to be able to play with you chaps?

Ta very much!

Unaco
24-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Hi all - new to the scene!

I have had a go on here but am totally clueless! I am looking to get the full game but am rather confused by the multitude of editions/expansions available (i.e: http://www.arma2.com/shops/index_en.html )

Can someone advise me on which ones to buy to be able to play with you chaps?

Ta very much!

ArmA2 and Operation Arrowhead would be the two items you really need to play with us. They're both separate games, with their own assets, but having them both installed allows you to run Combined Ops which is the ArmA2 stuff, in the Operation Arrowhead game. That's the standard really, CO, because it allows for so much content/assets. BMF and PMC are small expansions that you can buy, if you're so inclined... you want to play the SP campaigns and the Scenarios etc... but, if you don't own either, you do have BMF/PMC Lite, which allows you to use the assets/content, but at a low resolution. So, if you don't own them, and there's a mission that uses the assets, you can still participate... it's just ugly.

Bodge
24-06-2011, 05:17 PM
ArmA2 Reinforcements or what ever it is contains everything I believe

Unaco
24-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Also, you can buy Combined Ops... which is ArmA2 and OA together.

GraveyardJimmy
25-06-2011, 03:57 PM
ArmA2 Reinforcements or what ever it is contains everything I believe

ARMA 2 Reinforcements is just the BAF and PMC DLC packaged for retail I think. As far as i can make out, it doesn't come with either base game.

Batolemaeus
25-06-2011, 08:47 PM
http://www.abload.de/thumb/bradleyrainbow01ig5q.jpg (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=bradleyrainbow01ig5q.jpg)

Liqourish
25-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Something terrible has happened. (http://steamcommunity.com/id/Liqourish/screenshot/577800844531314122?tab=public)

Grizzly
25-06-2011, 10:36 PM
ARMA 2 Reinforcements is just the BAF and PMC DLC packaged for retail I think. As far as i can make out, it doesn't come with either base game.

But it is compatible with Arma 2: OA multiplayer servers. In the same way that people who do not have the PMC DLC, for exmaple, can still do everything with it.

fer
26-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Comrades, a reminder that the Folk session is once again open to all (A)RPS comrades: join us on Sunday 26th June at 19:00 UK, full details in the OP of this thread. Weapons, agricultural equipment and motivational speeches will be provided. Extra ammunition will be distributed to all comrades prepared to denounce comrade Ansob as ideologically unsound and call for his immediate removal to a secure sanitorium where he can be made well again.

Brnin8r
26-06-2011, 03:00 AM
We should play War In Takistan 1.30 more often it was pretty good, and with the multiple missions to choose from it shouldn't get boring too fast.

Joseph-Sulphur
26-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Comrades, a reminder that the Folk session is once again open to all (A)RPS comrades: join us on Sunday 26th June at 19:00 UK, full details in the OP of this thread. Weapons, agricultural equipment and motivational speeches will be provided. Extra ammunition will be distributed to all comrades prepared to denounce comrade Ansob as ideologically unsound and call for his immediate removal to a secure sanitorium where he can be made well again.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! His Stasi "moderators" are everywhere!

Liqourish
26-06-2011, 01:28 PM
War in Takistan was like a better (in some ways) version of domi, but it could do with being a little more difficult.

fer
26-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Cross-posting:

Missions:
Bend
Swept (adversarial)
Airfix
Valley
Comrades, it has to be said that after we massacred the enemy in Bend, and comrade Jefke led the Black Turbans on some tacticOOl bounds in Swept, I was getting worried that the Folk sessions are becoming the hang-out of the competent. So it was with great relief that I watched the helicopters smash into each other and then the mountainside in Airfix, and pure joy as the AI enemy shredded me and just about everyone else a few minutes later. High on this massacre, I selected the non-revive version of Valley, and prepared to watch the platoon cut to ribbons in the mountains.

We cleared the valley and even managed a photo-shoot at the BTR-60.

:argh: :argh: :argh:

Seriously: thank you to all comrades who made it, it was a wonderful session!

If you have access to the Folk forum (http://www.ferstaberinde.com/folk/forum/), please consider dropping by and posting to the AAR thread for tonight (http://www.ferstaberinde.com/folk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=309).

Liqourish
26-06-2011, 11:43 PM
Crossposting like a boss:

Time to AAR all up in this:

Bend

For this mission, I led Charlie Team, which, after some connection issues, was reduced to only Head and I. I put down our satchel on the bend, as was ordered by HQ, and we took positions overlooking the bend so we could rain down firey death after the convoy was halted. The MAT team was with us.

We waited and waited, and then the convoy came. One, two, three BTRs passed by my satchel charge, but we were waiting until the mines blew up the first ones. Then, explosions. The convoy halted, with no vehicle over my satchel charge. Damn. Head, an AR, opened fire on the rest of the BTRs, and the crew as the bailed. Many were murdered that day, and the the bullets and rocket kept flying until things slowly starting slowing down. Eventually, it was only a few infantry men who had somehow survived and were occasionally moving around, only to get picked off. We were ordered to take out the remaining vehicles, if we could, just to make them count as kills, so I slowly started making my way towards my undetonated satchel, hoping to recycle it to dispose of a BTR. Then, suddenly:

One of the BTRs began moving. Oh dear. The call came over the comms that we were in fact out of rockets. This mad BTR charged up the hill and started slaughtering people on Charlie's old position. Thankfully, my (barely a) team made it out intact. Then, I did something stupid.

The BTR moved down onto the road in front of me, but hadn't spotted me.

"Oh I'll just pop smoke"

Nope.

[RATATATATA]

After my unfortunate demise, things continued going downhill. The rogue BTR took several hits from rockets and remained alive and kicking, despite missing several wheels, and took down almost all of our platoon, at which point Fer called the mission.

Swept

I was in Bravo squad, led by Mort, under the command of Jefke. We were Opfor, and were to chase down the independents and crush them between us and the blocking force.

Not much to say here, we did some excellent bounding movements, under the command of Jefke, and after advancing a fair bit, the mission ended. Apparently most of the Independents had been slaughtered, except for a couple that escaped in a technical and made it to the escape zone.

Airfix

This was interesting. I was the spotter to Phil's sniper, under the command of Jefke again (I think)

It did not go well. Phil and I made our way towards the airfield, when Phil rounded a corner and was quickly shot dead. Oh dear. After the nearby hostiles were eliminated by another squad, I picked up the sniper rifle and ran over to the assigned location. After I was in position, shit, apparently, went down. I heard a lot of gunfire and explosions, and people yelling about some sort of vehicle (a BMP?)

I started taking potshots at infantry on the airfield below (they had already been alerted) and then suddenly, the mission ended.

Apparently everyone but me and Harlander (I think) had died. Oh.

Valley

This time we were led by comrade Unaco, I was an AAR in a fireteam with Fer, DM, and 2C. We were to take the far right flank, and advanced without much contact or casualties.

That was until I was ordered into a Dishka to give fire support to Bravo (I think), and was promptly shot. D:

After this poking around and taking some screenshots, I respawned as a JIP and flew a huey over towards the valley, although it appeared that the fight was over. There was an awkward bit where I couldn't tell that I was trying to land on a 60 degree hill, due to the first person view, and the helicopter slid away after we made contact with the ground.

We ran through the valley for photos and explosions.

Wolfenswan
27-06-2011, 12:06 AM
Stealing Liqourish's formation(Edit: really? REALLY? am i that tired?) FORMATTING like a boss:

Bend

I was the RPG gunner in Bravo Squad, taking position on the ridge and waiting for the convoy. After the initial satchel-onslaught i fired my three rockets on the BTRs (all to effect i might add) and then inquired to satchel the abandoned lead BTR, which resulted in a bullet in the head by a crewman that had been hiding in the ridge's blind angle.

With no small amount of glee I then watched the rest of the platoon being slaughtered by a surviving and apparently zombified BTR.

Swept

Leading Alpha Squad this time, we were the first squad to engage the blocking force and to occupy the enemy long enough so the rest of the insurgents could flank and make their way to our safe haven. So much for the theory.

In practice both me and command were shot within minutes of the mission by the slightly superior blocking force (the apparent lack of cover didn't help). The rest of the team didn't fare better but Grizzly and Anthile managed to hijack a technical and drive to the escape zone.

This mission certainly has potential as an adversarial but it need's fine-tuning. Either could the blocking force be severely weakened, the ratio of opfor vs. insurgents be changed to the latter's favour or it should be made clear that the insurgents can or should hold against the heliborne forces. Swapping the sides (insurgents are pushing, OPFOR are blocking) could work, too.

Airfix

Poetry in motion.

Valley Sweep

I really really like this mission due to setting and location but can see it getting old quite fast because of it's limitations. An adversarial on this map could be interesting but only if both teams are moving; maybe place a common goal in the rough center of the valley, surrounded by AI insurgents and BLUFOR/OPFOR are pushing from west and east respectively, whoever get's there first wins or has to hold it for a set amount of time to win.

Batolemaeus
27-06-2011, 12:14 AM
I saw the BTR take four direct hits from rpg fire. That thing was definitely not normal.

thelengle
27-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Hey chaps, thought I'd pop in to say Hi and that I thoroughly enjoyed playing on Saturday. I will definitely be a regular from here on :)

kataras
27-06-2011, 03:06 PM
So how are things standing with the Free and normal server? The first night I got on the Free I didn't like it (not complaining about it), was just chaotic with half the people not on mumble and no mission going on. Are people still playing on the normal or has the free one become a bit more structured?

Nullkigan
27-06-2011, 05:27 PM
ArmA 2 : Free - Currently public (no password) running a bunch of old, old missions which are like Domi but even worse (including an Embryonic Domi).

ArmA 2 : Combined Operations - Currently passworded, with our usual range of missions.

I've noticed people seem to go to the A2 Free server to be silly (and because I've been giving the admin password out like candy) but use of the CO server is preferred once a critical mass of players on mumble has been reached.

So, we currently stand at:

server.herosquad.org:2302 - A2 CO, RPS.
server.herosquad.org:2602 - A2 Free, RPS/Public.
server.herosquad.org:64738 - RPS Mumble

server.herosquad.org:2402 - A2 CO, Folk.
server.herosquad.org:9988 - TS3, Folk.

Where server.herosquad.org is 46.105.98.126 but may change in a week or two when we do the handoff from trial to full server and move to windows.

The very highest CPU usage I've seen was around 65% when Folk and Free were both full, with bandwidth at ~2/5 mbps on a 100/100 line (15 TB/month cap).

Someone drafts up a proposal for an 'organised' ArmA2 Free event so we can send it to Jim, teach new people the wonders of the chopper belly attack, and gather new comrades who will hopefully instantly turn to producing AAA* missions for us. The only problem is the A2 Free mission selection is a little lacking. It's probably be possible to fine tune our custom Domi to be A2Free compatible, but I have no motivation to do that myself.

Grizzly
27-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Is Arma 2 free compatible with Arma 2 ... ehrm... Premium?

Nullkigan
27-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Yes, you can run arma2.exe from your CO directory and then join the Free server. You can even use mods, etc (unlike all those people with Free only)

kataras
27-06-2011, 10:00 PM
thanks Null for the info.

from tonight: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/814/arma2oa2011062722451948.png/
would be cooler without the NV but nevermind...

Bodge
27-06-2011, 10:13 PM
patch arma 2 to 1.10 and you can join arma 2 free shenanigans

Head
28-06-2011, 09:27 AM
The exciting and ventures where new people drive repair trucks into your helicopters

Joseph-Sulphur
28-06-2011, 09:29 AM
A2 Free is alright when one of us regulars is sitting around at the base kicking people who are teamkilling and trying to answer people's questions. If we had around 4 ARPS people on the server it would be pretty good imo.

Unaco
28-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Tactical Tuesday this evening? Who is with us? I'm planning on jumping on the server around 1830-1900, before the main event, to try and run 'Folk - Finale' with a decent number (8-10) of fragile meat sacks to participate, as a sort of warm up to the real deal.

Liqourish
29-06-2011, 01:04 AM
I think I am going to do an AAR of this, even though it's not folk. I might be addicted to writing AARs.

Finale

Oh dear.

First time around, it went mildly horribly. I was commanding/gunning the BMP, positioned on our eastern flank.We were promptly outflanked by enemy armour, and the BMP was blown up. The driver and I survived, only to later be gunned down by enemy armour again, along with the rest of our comrades.

The second time didn't go much better. My driver had to disconnect, so I was left with an ai driver that's sort of tricky to control. After fidgeting around a little and managing to take potshots at enemy infantry with the cannon, I was blown up with no chance of survival.

Hind Confiscation

Ah, my pride and glory. The premise of this mission was that
we were to attack an enemy base, steal its hind, and bring
it back to our guerilla hideout in the mountains. I was in
command.

At my disposal were a variety of small arms, two DShK tripods, disassembled, two Dragons, a technical, a military offroad, and a lovemobile. After spending some time trying to make sure everyone had something useful, we drove away towards the enemy base, and parked our vehicles behind some large rocks. I set up the DShKs on either side of the rocks, and had two Dragon-wielding infantry ready to blow shit up. Additionally, a suicide squad was formed, including
Stranglove - our pilot, who had to survive lest we had nobody to fly the hind - and myself, as well as three other brave soldiers.

After an initial barrage of DShK fire and M47 rockets wiping out a lot of the enemy, the suicide squad loaded up in the technical and drove off towards the enemy base. In the initial attack, one of the new players on a DShK took a bullet, but the rest of us were left unharmed. We stormed gloriously around the side of the base, dismounting and shooting bullets at the enemy. Somehow, miraculously, we made our way towards the Hind with very few casualties, crucially stranglove being unharmed. He quickly got into the pilots seat and started spinning the bird up, while anyone of us alive on the ground either piled in or started exfiltrating through other means.After some navigation hiccups, the chopper made it to its new home, and we had completed the mission with minimal casualties!

Recovery

When calling out for a commander slot, Elesium quickly tapped his PTT key. I saw this and called him out as our new leader. Muhahahaha

Elesium's plan was to slowly advance up the road, A and B squads on the left, C on the right.
I led Charlie Squad.

The first try went badly. We had the parameters set to dawn, which was far to bright, and the enemy patrols immediately spotted us. Charlie's squad took several bullets, but no KIAs. The situation was judged to be terrible and the mission was restarted at a different time of day.Charlie squad was much safer creeping along in the underbrush at night. We slowly moved up the road, supporting the other squads and taking out roadblocks and ambushes, shifting our way further to the north, taking cover in the hills and woods. We were somewhat seperated from the other two squads, and were more bogged down in the combat than the others as a result.

So, we were somewhat entirely alone when we encountered an armoured SUV. The gunner was quickly dispatched, but the driver was behind bullet proof glass, which was trickier. Egg, the AR, got a bit too close was actually run over and killed before we managed to punch through the glass and capture the vehicle.

The call went over the comms that another SUV was approaching our position. Oh dear. We took up positions and opened fire when it arrived - managing to kill it outright without taking critical damage ourselves. However, the battle drew the attention of nearby patrols, and one of the infantrymen got a lucky shot off, killing Stranglove, leaving only wolfenswan and I in Charlie. Oh dear.

We proceeded to a meet-up point where everyone regrouped for a final charge on the gas station, where we slaughtered many men and could probably have continued, were it not for the fact that far too many people were sitting out, waiting for the next mission. So, we called it.

Skirmish Devils

Ah, yes.

I led the KSK, or Charlie, squad. The other members of the team were Unaco, Godwin, Stranglove, and PoG.

Initially, Egg was in command, and he actually made a point of splitting the KSK and Alpha squads apart. Joe was in charge of Alpha squad

After praying to the crate god, we were told that we were to take the fuel rafinnery, attacking from the north. KSK squad was to support Alpha, and I figured we'd be helpful if we flanked around and took the southeast approach. As we entered the compound, Stranglove was shot but was promptly healed by godwin and I. After we shot a few bad guys, Alpha had pretty much cleared the compound, losing only one helicopter in the process. We were ordered into an SUV that Joe was driving, and took a hell-drive back to base, injuring several of my team in the process.

After this, we were going to capture supplies of some kind. This also involved shooting bad guys. This time, KSK inserted by helicopter on a hill nearby the target area, and made our way towards it, targetting some precision fire and the hostiles below. Alpha just sort of charged in though, so I gave the order to withdraw to the littlebird so we could fly back to base while they played around with the supplies.

On our way back, there was an explosion. Apparently another blackhawk was gone. Huh.

After we returned to base, we were asked if we could handle the special weapons by ourselves.

"Suuure."

And so, after switching the loadouts to favour long-ranged combat, we took a littlebird towards the target area, making sure to stay out of hotzones, yet somehow a technical still clocked us on our way to the LZ. All systems were brought down to red, but Unaco still managed to land us safely - nobody was even injured!

We crested the hill and started slowly making our way towards the town, raining down bullets on anything that moved. We had a couple of close calls with KIAs, but we made it down to the crates well before help/extraction was to arive. Not bad for five people.

This was partially because Egg had to leave in the middle of us completing that objective, shuffling Joe to overall commander and Harlander to commander of Alpha.

Things immediately became more hectic once we joined up with Alpha again with the Chinook. We were to attack the enemy airbase, and things had gone wrong. We inserted at an odd angle, a little too far away. We lacked artillery support, and most of the base was still standing, and one of our A-10s was lost to a disconnect. Additionally our mortar stryker was destroyed - I do not know how.

Additionally, KSK was assigned the task of being 1337 and blowing up the scud launcher after we had landed - the only problem being that we only had one satchel amongst the five of us - we hadn't had time to regear properly. D:

While ultimately unsuccessful, heroic efforts were made. Unaco, the satchel-bearer, managed to charge within 100 metres of the scud launcher before the timer cruelly hit zero and we all were nuked.

All in all, and excellent session. Glad to see new faces, and hope to see you again!

EDIT: oh goodness what a wall of text.

Wolfenswan
29-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Oh boy did i collect kills on Recovery. I think i ended up with 25 or so before we called it. PKP and the SUV-Gatling = sweet bullety love.

Shame i missed Skirmish Devils.

Nullkigan
29-06-2011, 11:20 PM
Hmmmmmm.

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/domination/files

Can't find much info, but apparently there are a fair number of fixes and new features?

SeanybabeS
30-06-2011, 08:38 AM
I love reading Liquorish's AARs, and as soon as I get my new PC I will be dying to get involved with ARPS, but is this a bit like Eve where I prefer reading about fun things that happen than be a part of them?

Harlander
30-06-2011, 09:06 AM
Only one way to find out.

We'll see you in Takistan.

Joseph-Sulphur
30-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Hmmmmmm.

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/domination/files

Can't find much info, but apparently there are a fair number of fixes and new features?
I dunno, you would've thought that someone would have made a post on armaholic or a thread in the BIS forums. Any idea what new stuff there is?

kataras
30-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Interesting interview: http://www.everyeye.it/pc/articoli/arma-3_intervista_14306?pagina=2. Talks about side-quests to upgrade weapons/vehicles etc, more of a sandbox single-player.
Sounds a bit like STALKER, or is it just my obsession?

Also I noticed an interesting fact the other day when we played on the Proving Grounds: I am a far better shot when accidentally TKing, than when I m shooting at those poor, oppressed people of Takistan or Zargabad. I managed to hit a guy who was running, half-covered by vegetation, in one shot. That guy I think was Null in the end... And there was someone else I shot on the bridge, that was a good shot as well.

edit: anyone understand what this means??

The game will be released only for DirectX 11, but the engine is still capable of running in the DirectX 10 environment.

Batolemaeus
30-06-2011, 10:41 AM
I will be dying to get involved with ARPS, but is this a bit like Eve where I prefer reading about fun things that happen than be a part of them?

Yes, you will be dying a lot.
Also, no, it's not like Eve in that regard. There's actually something going on and even the big things can be brought down reasonably well.

StrangLove
30-06-2011, 11:12 AM
edit: anyone understand what this means??

Maybe they'll only support Dx11, but it will run in Dx10?

kataras
30-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Maybe they'll only support Dx11, but it will run in Dx10?
Yeah but it doesn't make sense. Or maybe it's just bad translation? If they only support one thing, how can it run on another as well? Or I m technically stupid and running something on 11 automatically means it could run on 10 as well?
Anyway I hope it's true though, otherwise it means a new GFX card for me...

Edit: I know its a stupid detail but they managed to get the colours of the Greek landscape completely right. Thank God summer holidays are coming.

Unaco
30-06-2011, 12:21 PM
It may run on DX10, but they aren't supporting it... would mean that there would be no (or little) technical support for DX10, there would be little optimisation for DX10 (unless the DX11 optimisation carried over), patches wouldn't be addressing DX10 issues etc.

But, saying all that, I think that's a bad translation, or something has gone awry there... Specifically, it says...

The game will be released only for DirectX 11, but the engine is still capable of running in the DirectX 10 environment. The new possibilities offered by DX11 still wait to be fully explored by our programmers.

But, if we look at the question that is in answer to...

Why did you choose DirectX 10 for the new game engine, while the new DirectX 11 libraries are out?

And so, I think, instead, it should be saying...

The game will be released only for DirectX 10, but the engine is still capable of running in the DirectX 11 environment. The new possibilities offered by DX11 still wait to be fully explored by our programmers.

Notice the second sentence... I don't think they'd be choosing DX11 if their programmers are not totally familiar with it. Also, they've said several times that it'll be DX10 minimum. I think what this means is... You'll be able to run in DX11, but there won't be many (or any) of the DX11 specific features available or used, and all the support and work will instead be put into taking advantage of DX10 and all it offers. But, also, they say that "DX11 still wait to be fully explored"... So, although we won't get DX11 support on release, I could see it likely coming in a later patch or expansion.

Joseph-Sulphur
02-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Back to the front page with you.

Bodge
02-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Arma is happening now, go to mumble.

fer
02-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Comrades, a reminder that the Folk session is once again open to all (A)RPS comrades: join us on Sunday 3rd July at 19:30 UK, full details in the OP of this thread. First mission will be kicking off at 19:40, so please make sure you're connected and in a slot by this time (JIP will be unlikely).

pendergraft
03-07-2011, 05:33 AM
Had a blast playing on the free server today. Thanks to Hund for taking the time to keep the tomfoolery to a minimum.

egg651
03-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Thought I should probably post the recordings I've been making on here. So here's the playlist:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/p/5173E9335115345F?version=3&hl=en_GB&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/p/5173E9335115345F?version=3&hl=en_GB&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="385" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Joseph-Sulphur
03-07-2011, 04:18 PM
A few minutes before the Osprey was murdered I said "Everything is going to explode, I just know it". I think its safe to assume that for every game of Arma we play tbh.

Nullkigan
03-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Today's steam sale has Arma 2: Combined Ops for 15, which isn't bad. You don't need the DLC.

If any lurkers have played on our free server and decided they like the game, but aren't too fond of the missions and disorganised, public nature of that offering, then get CO and come play with the regulars in a much more organised environment.