PDA

View Full Version : JRPGs on PC?

R-F
25-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Does anyone know of any JRPG or JRPG-ish games on PC? Preferably not emulator, although I'm perfectly open to those suggestions.

KauhuK
25-01-2012, 08:44 PM
The Last Remnant. Not many of em on PC regrettably.

sabrage
25-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Final Fantasy 7 and 8 got ported to PC, but you'll probably have to resort to Ebay to find them. There's also Septerra Core, Cthulhu Saves the World and Breath of Death VII. Can't think of anything else offhand.

Kodeen
25-01-2012, 08:46 PM
Disclosure, I haven't played most of these:

The Last Remnant
Final Fantasy 7 & 8
Grandia 2
Septerra Core (Not actually Japanese)

Wizardry
25-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Planescape: Torment
Anachronox
Septerra Core

BenWah
25-01-2012, 09:00 PM
recettear is good

Malawi Frontier Guard
25-01-2012, 09:07 PM
The only good JRPG is Romancing SaGa 3.

sabrage
25-01-2012, 09:16 PM
The only good JRPG is Romancing SaGa 3.​sneakysneaky

sabrage
25-01-2012, 09:17 PM
This never happened.

Roufuss
25-01-2012, 09:17 PM
FF7 and 8, from what I remember, are a pain in the ass to get working on modern PCs.

Spider Jerusalem
25-01-2012, 09:18 PM
the last remnant is pretty good.

Heliocentric
25-01-2012, 09:22 PM
recettear is good

That's because its not a JRPG

Malawi Frontier Guard
25-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Point still stands.

Lukasz
25-01-2012, 09:48 PM
Wizardry is pretty awesome, so I heard.

Wizardry
25-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Thanks.

10char

cosmicolor
25-01-2012, 10:32 PM
If you don't mind reading Japanese, Falcom have some of their jRPG stable on PC. A few of the Ys games have gotten fan-translations too, but those are more on the action side than RPG.

Voon
26-01-2012, 03:16 AM
To answer that question, the PC had Barkley, Shut Up and Jam:Gaiden. It's pretty awesome, I heard.

The only good JRPG is Romancing SaGa 3.
And Chrono Trigger. And Dragon Quest V. And Earthbound. And Mother 3...

Wizardry
26-01-2012, 03:28 AM
And Chrono Trigger.
Definitely not!

Voon
26-01-2012, 04:26 AM
Definitely yes!

Fix'd!

But, seriously. Why not?

Wizardry
26-01-2012, 04:28 AM
Fix'd!

But, seriously. Why not?
It's not an RPG. It's a JRPG combat game. You can't play the character you want to play as there's no real customisation to speak of.

Voon
26-01-2012, 04:32 AM
It's not an RPG. It's a JRPG combat game. You can't play the character you want to play as there's no real customisation to speak of.

Well, it is a JRPG rather than an actual RPG, at least. Like most JRPGs

Wizardry
26-01-2012, 04:33 AM
Well, it is a JRPG rather than an actual RPG, at least. Like most JRPGs
True. I guess that applies to most games in this thread. But at least in some JRPGs you can do stuff on levelling up.

icupnimpn2
26-01-2012, 07:49 AM
Capcom's Breath of Fire IV saw a limited PC release in Europe. That's about as JRPG as JRPG gets. You might be able to track it down. I've never seen it mentioned in this sort of discussion. But it looks like it exists.

If you're willing to venture into the realm of translation patches, you can find things like Ys VI (http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=7725.0) on PC in English.

But then you might as well run a console emulator.

Plus there are tons of games made with RPG Maker (like the aforementioned excellent Barkley game) that capture some of the style. GamersGate will let you buy a bunch of them for way too much money.

R-F
26-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Planescape: Torment

How can you even say that's a JRPG?

squirrel
26-01-2012, 11:01 AM
What about YS series by Falcom? The latest installment is YS 7, used to be PSP exclusive, now going to be ported to PC in the next few months.

For your inform YS is an action RPG, not turn-base.

And hey, why dont we say if we can ask to see if RPS could get some news about JRPGs? This could be a genre that interests RPS editors, too.

Arona Daal
26-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Star Ocean 2 is not exactly an Jrpg like Final Fantasy,as it has a (IMHO) much better Action Combat System.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kid7RI29UQs

And i second Anachronox,great Scifi-Rpg,great Story,great Characters,Jrpg like Combat.

Casimir Effect
26-01-2012, 12:25 PM
The Last Remnant is highly recommended but is an unusual JRPG.

For something more typical (although a lot superior to most in the genre) try Grandia 2. The port was never great and some people have massive problems with the game. I've played through the PC version once and while it crashed to desktop a few times it was rare and never at the same place twice. You may have a hard time finding a copy but I think it's one of those games where you can feel ok about pirating it because I don't see there being any New copies left anywhere, ie. no money is going to anyone involved in the game, and there's the chance it may never work for you.
The game is great fun though: nice, simple battle system; good level/map design; decent character arcs; no grinding - just killing everything you find once over should be enough; and the story has some genuinely good moments.

IDtenT
26-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Anachronox
This. Pretty much this.

squirrel
26-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Actually, anyone knows why Square virtually ceases porting JRPG to PC? Even I have beaten Final Fantasy 12, I sure would buy its PC version if they makes one.

Berzee
26-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Can't think of any on PC, but

Have you ever played Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars?

It's a Super Nintendo game of extreme amazingness (though basically no party customizability) and in addition to the RPG-combat-with-timing-challenges-parts there are tons of little minigames and random occurences I don't want to spoil. I think it was the first game with stats and turn based combat I ever played, and it made me want to find out more about this strange genre. Plus it's hilarious. ^_^

If you can find a copy and then get an emulated version -- highly recommended!

cosmicolor
26-01-2012, 02:08 PM
^^Square-Enix can barely release console games without taking 4 years to do it nowadays, I think testing a PC port might be too much for them. The Last Remnant used UE3 which probably helped a lot in the transition to PC.

sabrage
26-01-2012, 02:09 PM
The Ys series is awesome, but it's honestly closer to the 2D Castlevania games than it is to JRPGs. I think most of the best entries are on portables, though.

All of the Mario RPG games (Paper Mario, Superstar Saga, Bowser's Inside Story) are great.

Voon
26-01-2012, 02:25 PM

Probably because, to Wizardry, no customisation to characters or playing your own characters =/= RPG

But, what do I know. Ask him

Wizardry
26-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Fixed protagonist. No party creation. Spell animations. Character restricted items. All anyone talks about is its story and characters. Amnesia. The credits saying that it's inspired by Final Fantasy VII and VIII.

Chevy
26-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Amnesia.

Ha! /10char

willow
26-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Bit complicated question to answer.....

Berzee
26-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Ha! /10char

amnesia??? (http://jake.brasee.com/mynoise/brilliant.mp3)

Kodeen
26-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Actually, anyone knows why Square virtually ceases porting JRPG to PC? Even I have beaten Final Fantasy 12, I sure would buy its PC version if they makes one.

I imagine they just didn't sell. And I don't know about 8, but 7 was a very sub-par port.

Berzee
26-01-2012, 05:53 PM
I imagine they just didn't sell. And I don't know about 8, but 7 was a very sub-par port.

Especially the minigames like the one where you ride a motorcycle...where they sort of completely forgot to limit the speed when the processing power of the computer was too great ^_^

It's hard to beat that section at 600mph!

Wizardry
26-01-2012, 05:53 PM
JRPGs didn't sell well on PCs because they were inferior to western RPGs.

Smashbox
26-01-2012, 05:54 PM
The last JRPG I played and enjoyed was Persona 4. It's on PS2, so's you'd have to emulate it, but I really liked it a lot.

Fiyenyaa
26-01-2012, 11:31 PM

So sayeth GOD ALMIGHTY, thus ending the debate once and for all.

The occasional "I think that" wouldn't go amiss, you know.

Heliocentric
26-01-2012, 11:44 PM
So sayeth GOD ALMIGHTY, thus ending the debate once and for all.

The occasional "I think that" wouldn't go amiss, you know.

I said it too, when me and wizardry agree on something its eligible for entry to encyclopedia Britainnica

vecordae
26-01-2012, 11:57 PM

I initially wanted to argue with this. "No!" I would cry in my best Sean Connery voice. "That'sh not entirely true!" Afterall, I loved me some Chrono Trigger and some Final Fantasy 12. But, thinking carefully about it, I think the statement is largely correct. Whenever I try out a jRPG these days, with few exceptions, I want to throw a brick at my screen. It's not the lack of customization or the linear plots that do it. It's me being a cranky old man who is tired of playing essentially the same exact daring teenaged swordsman and his band of stereotypical friends over and over and over again. It's the nonsensical plot lines and cheesy melodrama. It's the the fact that they are mostly interchangeable. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I don't particularly feel like wading through the sea of crap for the half-decent ones anymore

Wizardry
27-01-2012, 12:17 AM
Well, I don't think you could argue even if you tried. Games like Realms of Arkania, Wasteland, Fallout and Darklands allow for a far higher degree of role-playing than any JRPG. They are also far more varied in terms of gameplay.

1992 alone saw the release of Wizardry VII, Darklands, Ultima VII, Realms of Arkania, Quest for Glory III and The Dark Queen of Krynn. That's a pretty wide range of games right there with completely different gameplay between them. Pick 6 JRPGs from their entire existence and you won't get that much variety.

Fiyenyaa
27-01-2012, 12:23 AM
Well, I don't think you could argue even if you tried. Games like Realms of Arkania, Wasteland, Fallout and Darklands allow for a far higher degree of role-playing than any JRPG. They are also far more varied in terms of gameplay.

1992 alone saw the release of Wizardry VII, Darklands, Ultima VII, Realms of Arkania, Quest for Glory III and The Dark Queen of Krynn. That's a pretty wide range of games right there with completely different gameplay between them. Pick 6 JRPGs from their entire existence and you won't get that much variety.

What if you like linear stories? What if you like pre-defined characters? What if you like the aesthetics that JRPGs typically go for?

Man, I agree with you: I much prefer western RPGs as a rule, but to say that they are inferior without any kind of personal qualifier seems ridiculous to me. People like different sorts of games. This therefore means some people love JRPGs above all others.

Wizardry
27-01-2012, 12:32 AM
What if you like linear stories? What if you like pre-defined characters? What if you like the aesthetics that JRPGs typically go for?
The west had over a decade of adventure games to fill that gap. That's what PC gamers went for when they wanted linear stories with pre-defined characters.

Look. All I'm doing is explaining why JRPGs failed to succeed on the PC. I know people like different games. I know people love JRPGs above all else. But that's largely irrelevant as to why they flopped on the PC. This is what I'm talking about.

Casimir Effect
27-01-2012, 12:37 AM
I always think I like JRPGs more than I actually do. Sometimes I really want to play an entirely linear RPG where there are no or VERY few sidequests, just everything focussed on making a great main story with well-developed characters, and for some reason my brain thinks JRPGs are the place to go for this.
Every time I play one I realise I'm wrong. So very wrong.

Spider Jerusalem
27-01-2012, 12:41 AM
a lack of a market != inferior.

Wizardry
27-01-2012, 12:43 AM
a lack of a market != inferior.
No, but if they were superior then there would have been a market.

deano2099
27-01-2012, 01:01 AM

In terms of gameplay: Final Fantasy VII, Odin Sphere, Parasite Eve, Resonance of Fate, Disgaea, The World Ends With You.

I agree to some extent in terms of the stories being similar, although western RPGs are far, far worse for that sort of thing. It's either fantasy land or space opera land, and 90% of the time it's a 'rise of the hero' story. To paraphrase Vercorde "tired of playing essentially the same exact reluctant swordsman and his band of stereotypical friends over and over and over again. It's the nonsensical plot lines and cheesy melodrama. It's the the fact that they are mostly interchangeable."

The west had over a decade of adventure games to fill that gap. That's what PC gamers went for when they wanted linear stories with pre-defined characters. And the east had visual novels.

I think it is about market. The PC gaming market was a lot smaller in Japan, and still is. I'd also point out that Western RPGs have only just started (with Bioware) to make any sort of headway on consoles, and of course, none of them are actually RPGs. How come western RPGs never succeeded on console? Because they were inferior?

Watashiwa
27-01-2012, 01:03 AM
What interests me so much about jRPGs is that the underlying inspirations for just about all of them are WESTERN RPGs. Dragon Quest is the most popular game franchise in Japan (or was in its heyday) to the point that there were noticeable dips in GDP after their release and at least one ordinance forbidding their release on a weekday. And Dragon Quest's single greatest inspiration was Ultima.

Final Fantasy too borrowed from Ultima, but with extra from Dungeons and Dragons: spellcasting relied on spellslots until FFIV.

I've always thought of traditional jRPGs as throwbacks to old Western roleplaying games. They just developed differently. Western roleplaying games evolved by opening the gameworld up, jRPGs by by focusing on the characters.

squirrel
27-01-2012, 01:14 AM
Hey, guys, why talking about PS2 emulation? PS2 is still in production you know.

And yep, I regret to say this but Japanese have been lagged behind in game development, both in concept design and software technology.

Wizardry
27-01-2012, 01:19 AM
In terms of gameplay: Final Fantasy VII, Odin Sphere, Parasite Eve, Resonance of Fate, Disgaea, The World Ends With You.
I like the fact that you had to resort to action RPGs. To make it fair I could include stuff like Mass Effect, Skyrim and Diablo, but I didn't.

I think it is about market. The PC gaming market was a lot smaller in Japan, and still is. I'd also point out that Western RPGs have only just started (with Bioware) to make any sort of headway on consoles, and of course, none of them are actually RPGs. How come western RPGs never succeeded on console? Because they were inferior?
They tried and they failed. Repeatedly. Why? Because the technology was always behind and console controllers didn't have enough buttons.

mickygor
27-01-2012, 02:12 AM
I always think I like JRPGs more than I actually do. Sometimes I really want to play an entirely linear RPG where there are no or VERY few sidequests, just everything focussed on making a great main story with well-developed characters, and for some reason my brain thinks JRPGs are the place to go for this.

Where would you go then? I yearn for games like this but there's an apparent dearth of them on the PC.

deano2099
27-01-2012, 02:43 AM
I like the fact that you had to resort to action RPGs. To make it fair I could include stuff like Mass Effect, Skyrim and Diablo, but I didn't.
We're talking about variety within the RPG genre. So what if part of that is action? QfG is a hybrid too. There probably is more variety within the western RPG genre but the idea that every single JRPG is essentially the same is just silly.

There's a lot of variety in there. Hell, when it comes to combat mechanics, FF13, 12 and the 4-10 games all have entirely different systems. And all of them have different progression systems too.

Yes, it's just the combat and progression systems that are different, but as we've established, with a JRPG that IS the entire game.

Drinking with Skeletons
27-01-2012, 02:44 AM
The Last Remnant is the only recent example I can think of. It is deeply weird compared to, well, any other JRPG I've ever encountered, and I was never able to bring myself to complete it, but it's mechanically ambitious, staggeringly long, unusually nonlinear (for the genre) and probably available pretty cheap at this point. I can't say it has a strikingly unique plot, but the thinly-veiled homosexual romance between the two leading characters is ballsy in its own way (no pun intended).

EDIT: Not to get into a flame war with Wizardry--I basically agree with all of his points regarding why JRPGS have never been able to penetrate the PC games market, though I'd also add that there was never a huge push by any developer to really try to take advantage of the platform--but there are definitely exceptions to the JRPG rules. Final Fantasy Tactics and the extremely-similar Tactics Ogre (both available in updated PSP versions) have tremendously in-depth, customizable mechanics. Sure, there are pre-defined characters who can join your party, but aside from the protagonists your parties in those games can be made up entirely of generic troops you build from the ground up. They each allow a lot of customization and flexibility, but have restrictions in place to force you to make tough (albeit reversible) choices regarding character development. And I realize that you can say that they're "strategy RPGS" and not "JRPGs," but they're still very Japanese and very different from similar games made by Western studios and definitely follow a lot of JRPG conventions.

Wizardry
27-01-2012, 02:49 AM
Yes, it's just the combat and progression systems that are different, but as we've established, with a JRPG that IS the entire game.
My point exactly.

sabrage
27-01-2012, 05:54 AM
Have you played Final Fantasy XIII?

Voon
27-01-2012, 07:34 AM

Considering most JRPG nowadays mostly focus on cute bishies and teenage girls wearing weird, over-designed clothing, fighting incredibly cliched villains in bland or off-putting stories, I somehow agree with this otherwise subjective statement. Not of you include JRPGs in the past, of course. Because that would be entirely debatable. Plus, differnet people, different strokes

Dragon Quest's single greatest inspiration was Ultima.

Don't forget Wizardry. The battle interface? Definately Wizardry.

icemann
27-01-2012, 07:58 AM
Other than Demon Souls and its sequel I've yet to see a single good JRPG on any system. Prior to that there was and is a sea of great JRPG games across many platforms (sega master system, nes, snes, mega drive, ps1, ps2 etc). The problem nowadays is that the only JRPGs coming out outside of Japan are more your Disgaea variety.

Arguing over which is better out of Western and Japanese RPGs is like arguing over whether rock is better than trance or RnB. Pointless. I love Western and JRPGs as each has something unique and awesome about them, just as I do with my music.

Heliocentric
27-01-2012, 08:20 AM
Arguing over which is better out of Western and Japanese RPGs is like arguing over whether rock is better than trance or RnB. Pointless. I love Western and JRPGs as each has something unique and awesome about them, just as I do with my music.
Oranges beat up apples 7 days of the week, protective skin, vitamin C so hard it can burn and they have are a much better colour.

Fiyenyaa
27-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Arguing over which is better out of Western and Japanese RPGs is like arguing over whether rock is better than trance or RnB. Pointless.

Basically this, yeah.

Spider Jerusalem
27-01-2012, 10:50 AM
No, but if they were superior then there would have been a market.
there's obviously a market for them.

you could use the same argument for why western rpgs don't sell in japan. and it would be just as stupid.

Heliocentric
27-01-2012, 11:20 AM
you could use the same argument for why western rpgs don't sell in japan. and it would be just as stupid.

Not enough brooding, teenage girls, feminine male heroes or awkward love triangles?

sabrage
27-01-2012, 12:10 PM
Because Japan is incredibly xenophobic?

Spider Jerusalem
27-01-2012, 12:12 PM
quality is directly related to how androgynous the main character is.

everyone knows this.

it is a thing that is known.

Fiyenyaa
27-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Because Japan is incredibly xenophobic?

Leaving aside the larger-scale arguments about Japan's xenophobia, when we're talking about cultural artifacts I don't think you can accuse Japan of xenophobia; in language, pop-music, food, and other areas they have taken on a hell of a lot of outside influences. Infact, I think that gaming may be the area pop-culturally where Japan is the most insular, and that may just be because they've had a very established industry for a long time.

sabrage
27-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Infact, I think that gaming may be the area pop-culturally where Japan is the most insular, and that may just be because they've had a very established industry for a long time.
Are you arguing with me, or agreeing?

I think the internet analogy for Japan's absorption of Western culture would be the meme. They pick-and-choose seemingly random fads, distort them and mass-consume for a couple of weeks. Then they drop it by the wayside and forget about it completely. I remember that Kotaku even had a recurring segment (probably still ongoing) called "What's Japan's Fetish this Week?" I would never claim to truly understand the motives of the Japanese, though.

Wizardry
27-01-2012, 04:40 PM
there's obviously a market for them.

They do. That's why there are around a billion Japanese made Wizardry games that have never been released in the west.

cosmicolor
27-01-2012, 04:51 PM
And you occasionally get the odd somewhat-related take-off that does make its ways outside of Japan, like the Etrian Odyssey games.

Fiyenyaa
27-01-2012, 06:05 PM
I would never claim to truly understand the motives of the Japanese, though.

Inscrutable?

/sighs

Tei
27-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Perhaps Xenoblade?

This
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3PDz8I2_aE
+
http://www.dolphin-emulator.com/

Berzee
28-01-2012, 10:06 PM
Did you ever play The Spirit Engine 2? I'm playing it for the first time now, about 8 hours in and liking it a lot. =)

It's punishingly difficult at times, but in a mentally stimulating way. Plus, a cast of believably-written characters of all ages!

Malawi Frontier Guard
30-01-2012, 10:55 PM
I forgot Albion. I used to always consider it at least visually inspired by JRPGs, but in retrospect it was more likely just a natural progression from graphics you would see in the German Amiga games that came before it.

It doesn't really play like your typical JRPG either with its turn-based combat on a grid and first-person exploration, but I thought it was worth a mention anyway.