PDA

View Full Version : Forcing older games to use more than 10% of your monitor :)

trjp
26-01-2012, 01:06 AM
I'm trying to get NOX (GoG.com version) working and whilst it runs, it's highest offered res. is 1024x768 (with menus stuck at a tiny 640x480!!) which results in it playing in a TINY window in the centre of my monitor (or on my laptop's screen).

In both cases, reading text requires a magnifying glass - it's not going to be playable for any period of time...

There are no "widescreen" patches for NOX (that I can find, anyway) and my monitor/ATI GPU won't auto-size/scale that at all.

Any ideas on how to somehow jam this game through some sort of magnifier/scaler which might make it playable?

FuriKuri!
26-01-2012, 08:41 AM
You can try right clicking on the game icon -> properties -> compatability tab then check run in 640x480 resolution. It basically just downsizes your entire windows desktop resolution on launch. Likewise setting your desktop resolution directly to something low will get round it. It's not ideal to have keep doing that of course, but there ya go.

trjp
26-01-2012, 11:33 PM
I tried that and - oddly - the game wouldn't run at all!!

Hey ho - worth a go!

DVD773
26-01-2012, 11:54 PM
You could try simply setting your desktop reselution to 1024*768 befhore you load the game.

trjp
27-01-2012, 01:11 AM
My monitor doesn't scale 1024x768 (or 800x600 or 640x480) so all I get is a relatively tiny game in the middle of the screen.

I'd not mind so much but Nox had small text at the best of times - on a flatscreen WS monitor you need binoculars to read it!!

squirrel
27-01-2012, 02:24 AM
VGA output will do the trick.

DVI output will automatically adjust to the exact resolution.

Odeon
27-01-2012, 07:20 PM
I've got a similar issue with running the original Civilization in DOSBox. It runs great, but looks awfully small on my full HD widescreen monitor. I have to use DOSBox because I'm on Win7 Ultimate x64 and Civ is a 16-bit game, but I can't find how to make DOSBox run in full screen mode. I'm probably just missing an option or haven't read the full instructions on using DOSBox, but if anyone knows off the top of their head, I'd be much obliged.

Moraven
28-01-2012, 10:20 PM
I've got a similar issue with running the original Civilization in DOSBox. It runs great, but looks awfully small on my full HD widescreen monitor. I have to use DOSBox because I'm on Win7 Ultimate x64 and Civ is a 16-bit game, but I can't find how to make DOSBox run in full screen mode. I'm probably just missing an option or haven't read the full instructions on using DOSBox, but if anyone knows off the top of their head, I'd be much obliged.

For games in DOSBox, you have to edit the config (conf) file to make some changes to how the game launches.

X-Com for example I will set.
fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=1280x1024
windowresolution=1280x1024
output=ddraw

There is some other settings which can be adjusted. Each game has its own settings that can make it run better if issues come up. Do not know a better example off hand, but they are out there on the Internets.

spcd
29-01-2012, 01:43 AM
Fullscreen dosbox = ALT + ENTER

trjp
29-01-2012, 07:57 PM
VGA output will do the trick.

Ah - sadly DVI or HDMI outputs only here ;(

Might be worth trying it on the old desktop - there's an idea!!

Update:

Loaded this onto the old desktop (VGA output to monitor) and it's bloody excellent. 1024x768 is scaled-up to the full centre of the screen - game text is readable, game is playable

*gives squirrel some nuts!! * :)

Odeon
30-01-2012, 06:02 AM
For games in DOSBox, you have to edit the config (conf) file to make some changes to how the game launches.

X-Com for example I will set.
fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=1280x1024
windowresolution=1280x1024
output=ddraw

There is some other settings which can be adjusted. Each game has its own settings that can make it run better if issues come up. Do not know a better example off hand, but they are out there on the Internets.
I had to look up how to find the conf file and it took some trial-and-error finding a good resolution setting, but I've got it running in a window that takes up most of the screen now.

I tried the Alt+Enter trick and it did work, but I don't like playing games in true full screen mode since it tends to screw with my desktop settings and this was no different. When I exited, Aero was disabled and I had to re-enable it, which isn't the easiest thing to do even with a shortcut designed just for that purpose.

indiana
30-07-2013, 09:22 AM
VGA monitor (http://bestgamingmonitorden.com) output will do the trick.

This. Works for me! :)

thegooseking
30-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Ah - sadly DVI or HDMI outputs only here ;(

Might be worth trying it on the old desktop - there's an idea!!

Update:

Loaded this onto the old desktop (VGA output to monitor) and it's bloody excellent. 1024x768 is scaled-up to the full centre of the screen - game text is readable, game is playable

*gives squirrel some nuts!! * :)

DVI to VGA adapters cost about 3 (or 25 from Maplin... yeah, don't buy from Maplin). If you have a VGA monitor, you could easily plug it into your DVI graphics card using one of those. In fact, that's exactly what I'm doing - both my monitors are VGA, but my graphics card only has two DVI outputs (plus an HDMI output).