PDA

View Full Version : Well Wizardry, I hope you're pleased.

sabrage
26-01-2012, 01:20 AM
I probably never would've heard of this game if you'd never mentioned it, but I figured at $3 I couldn't go wrong.
Note: I know next-to-nothing about this game besides "Wizardry likes it." It doesn't have a manual, but both disks are basically unused. I think I'm gonna do some blind Let's Play videos, so don't spoil that for me. I'd like to know: I have a shitty $5 Logitech boom mic (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Labtec-Desktop-Microphone-600/dp/tags-on-product/B000O7K4LO), should I consider investing in a better one before making any videos? And does Fraps have a built-in voice recorder?

Wizardry
26-01-2012, 01:26 AM
Return to Krondor != Betrayal at Krondor

Chevy
26-01-2012, 01:36 AM
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/betrayal_at_krondor

This is the one he's on about, sabrage

Wizardry
26-01-2012, 01:39 AM
I feel kind of shitty now for some reason.

Berzee
26-01-2012, 01:42 AM
*slow motion NOOOOOoooooooooOOooooooo*

Edit: Well, Wizardry, I hope you're pleased!

sabrage
26-01-2012, 01:53 AM
Well shit, I would've known right away if I looked at the bottom of the box and saw that it came out in 1998. What is Lords of Magic?

I also found this, adding a nice layer of irony...

Wizardry
26-01-2012, 02:01 AM
Well shit, I would've known right away if I looked at the bottom of the box and saw that it came out in 1998.
There are some positives! It's a sequel to Betrayal at Krondor. It's still turn-based. It has a strong story. It has plenty of statistics and a decent character development system. It has great music. That's about it though. It's also underrated, but not by much.

What is Lords of Magic?
It's pretty good but quite buggy. It's made by the Lords of the Realm developers but is more like Heroes of Might and Magic. Not an RPG though. Why do you ask? Did you pick it up too?

Voon
26-01-2012, 03:01 AM
I remember that Lords of Magic is a..... Turn-based Strategy?

sabrage
26-01-2012, 03:10 AM
There are some positives! It's a sequel to Betrayal at Krondor. It's still turn-based. It has a strong story. It has plenty of statistics and a decent character development system. It has great music. That's about it though. It's also underrated, but not by much.
I actually looked up some shots of Betrayal, and it's surprisingly not-dated compared to what I assumed most games you liked look (Gold Box.) I'll grab it off GoG and try it out before I play Return; if I hate 'em then at worst I can try to eBay it for $5 and recoup some of my losses.

It's pretty good but quite buggy. It's made by the Lords of the Realm developers but is more like Heroes of Might and Magic. Not an RPG though. Why do you ask? Did you pick it up too?
The entire back cover is an ad for it. One of the screenshots is of a unicorn and what appears to be King Ghidorah, so my interest was immediately piqued.

Roufuss
26-01-2012, 03:11 AM
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/lords_of_magic_special_eddition

Pretty good description of Lords of Magic with some screenshots.

I actually looked up some shots of Betrayal, and it's surprisingly not-dated compared to what I assumed most games you liked look (Gold Box.) I'll grab it off GoG and try it out before I play Return; if I hate 'em then at worst I can try to eBay it for $5 and recoup some of my losses.

Don't bother with Antara if you do buy it (it comes in the pack with Krondor.) The GOG version has a bug halfway through that makes it impossible to advance from that point.

Wizardry
26-01-2012, 03:27 AM
The worst thing about them is that you play with pre-made characters. Hopefully that won't annoy you.

The entire back cover is an ad for it. One of the screenshots is of a unicorn and what appears to be King Ghidorah, so my interest was immediately piqued.
Weird. It's not even from the same publisher.

Berzee
26-01-2012, 03:44 AM
Don't bother with Antara if you do buy it (it comes in the pack with Krondor.)

Agreed!

The GOG version has a bug halfway through that makes it impossible to advance from that point.

Oh yeah, that's another good reason not to bother with it, I guess. ;)

I never tried Return, but I had a vague memory of it getting lambasted in whatever review I read -- but Wizardry responded with not much ire about it, so maybe it's halfway worthwhile after all. Hm.

Anyhow, good call downloading Betrayal, sabrage =)

I *still* tell people Moredhel wordlock riddles in real life, when I can remember them. :)

("Two legs I have, and this will confound..." is the only one I can remember reliably, the others I only retain for a while after looking them up again during a RIDDLE PARTEH)

Wizardry
26-01-2012, 04:15 AM
Oh yeah, that's another good reason not to bother with it, I guess. ;)

I never tried Return, but I had a vague memory of it getting lambasted in whatever review I read -- but Wizardry responded with not much ire about it, so maybe it's halfway worthwhile after all. Hm.

Anyhow, good call downloading Betrayal, sabrage =)

I *still* tell people Moredhel wordlock riddles in real life, when I can remember them. :)

("Two legs I have, and this will confound..." is the only one I can remember reliably, the others I only retain for a while after looking them up again during a RIDDLE PARTEH)
Yeah, those were pretty cool. I still prefer pure character skill based lock opening mechanisms, but those were pretty cool as they weren't repetitive exercises.

DigitalSignalX
26-01-2012, 04:35 AM

What is that? Blur cam is blurry. Looks like some sort of stirrup, or a land mine apparatus.

Nalano
26-01-2012, 06:49 AM
What is that? Blur cam is blurry. Looks like some sort of stirrup, or a land mine apparatus.

It's a trap.

Drake Sigar
26-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Thank you, I had a good laugh over this.

Although Return to Krondor has nothing on Betrayal, it's still a decent game, electing for a tight focused story over Betrayal's method of letting the player run loose in large sections of the world. One character returns (probably could have used a cameo or two), the trap system is... interesting, and the fights can be quite challenging too.

God damn vampires, man.

IDtenT
26-01-2012, 01:09 PM
It's a trap.
I loled.

My gripe with Lords of Magic was that there's only one map, iirc. Which is a bit boring once you've played the game a good few times. The factions were interesting though.

sabrage
26-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Blur cam is blurry.
Like I'm going to drag out anything but my camera phone for you guys...

I found some other cool stuff today ($8 Gamecube?) so it might be a while before I play Betrayal, but I will make that video. Eventually.

Scumbag
26-01-2012, 05:13 PM
I think I'm gonna do some blind Let's Play videos, so don't spoil that for me. I'd like to know: I have a shitty $5 Logitech boom mic (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Labtec-Desktop-Microphone-600/dp/tags-on-product/B000O7K4LO), should I consider investing in a better one before making any videos? And does Fraps have a built-in voice recorder?

Mic may be a little lightweight, but if people can hear you fine over something like teamspeak or whatnot then it'll be as adiquate as any youtube lets play. Dont put it near any computer fans though, will be crappy.
Fraps has a built in sound recorder that picks up a microphone when playing games or just simply recording.

Also, turn the game volume down. Nothing blocks a lets play more then loud music or sound over someone's commentary (though with the quality of some people's lets plays, they really should leave the volume turned up).

Smashbox
26-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Buy the trap and do a let's play of that!

Berzee
26-01-2012, 05:17 PM

harr!
harrrtencharacters

sabrage
26-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Also, turn the game volume down. Nothing blocks a lets play more then loud music or sound over someone's commentary (though with the quality of some people's lets plays, they really should leave the volume turned up).
I'd be using headphones, of course.

Buy the trap and do a let's play of that!
I did; I can't quite figure out how it works. I'm rather terrified of losing a finger to it. I don't think I have a video camera up to the task though...

Got it!

Scumbag
26-01-2012, 07:01 PM
I'd be using headphones, of course.

If you are refering to the noise from the speakers, thats not quite what I ment. In game sound can oftan be louder then a mic so even if there is no background noise you could be essentially be drowned out by whatever you are doing in a game.
Done this a few times in the past with things like machine guns etc...
"This is the German MG42, which has *DRARARARARARARARARARARARA* which causes problems with *DRARARARARARARARARARARARARARA* and overheats at times."

Smashbox
26-01-2012, 07:19 PM
Can we take bets on what that thing can chomp through?

sabrage
26-01-2012, 07:37 PM
If you are refering to the noise from the speakers, thats not quite what I ment. In game sound can oftan be louder then a mic so even if there is no background noise you could be essentially be drowned out by whatever you are doing in a game.
Done this a few times in the past with things like machine guns etc...
"This is the German MG42, which has *DRARARARARARARARARARARARA* which causes problems with *DRARARARARARARARARARARARARARA* and overheats at times."

Ah, I didn't even think of that. I'll definitely take it into account.

Can we take bets on what that thing can chomp through?
I smell a Youtube sensation: Will it Chomp?

archonsod
26-01-2012, 07:48 PM
My gripe with Lords of Magic was that there's only one map, iirc. Which is a bit boring once you've played the game a good few times. The factions were interesting though.

It shipped with a map editor o.O

IDtenT
26-01-2012, 07:56 PM
It shipped with a map editor o.O
I can't remember that, but even if true - the game still had only one map made by the developers. I want to play a game, not do the dev's work for them.

archonsod
26-01-2012, 08:05 PM
It had one map with two modes - the 'canon' world of Urak and one which randomised town locations. Special Edition added another map or two for the 'story campaign' mode. Both shipped with a map editor and had fairly active communities based around them.

Or you could open the map editor from within the game, generate a random map and then play it (which was one of the first things most people did, since you could set the player faction to Death and therefore bypass the restriction of being unable to select them before defeating Balkoth at least once).

IDtenT
26-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Fair enough. Figured it wouldn't have had a random generator, or at the very least I didn't know of it at the time.

DigitalSignalX
27-01-2012, 04:07 AM
so it IS a landmine. Thanks (=