PDA

View Full Version : Witcher 2 Enhanced coming up in spring

Caleb367
26-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Shameless copypasta from GOG.com:

GOG.com is pleased as punch to announce that The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition, developed by sister company CD Projekt RED, will be coming to PC on the 17th of April! Just like when CDP RED updated the original Witcher to The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, this comes with scads of upgrades and extras for you to enjoy. The good news is that anyone who owns The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings before the 17th will receive the upgrade to the Enhanced Edition for free!

In celebration, weíre offering The Witcher 2 (http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/the_witcher_2) on sale for 15% off, starting now, for the next two weeks.

In case you didnít hear the news from CDP RED, letís go over whatís new and awesome about the Enhanced Edition:

New major adventures set in new locations. These consist of an underground system of chambers beneath Loc Muine and a temperate coniferous forest in the Loc Muine mountains, and a secret cave passage. These new adventures will add several hours of story-based gameplay to the game.

New major characters to the Witcher story. One of them is Brigida Papebrock Dame. This noble woman comes from the Temerian family Papebrock and is a 30 year old lady-in-waiting of the Temerian court. The other characters are secret--for now!

All new animations and cut scenes, including a new, three and a half minute pre-rendered cinematic depicting the assassination of King Demavend of Aedirn. BAFTA Award winner and Academy Award nominee Tomasz Baginski brings this key historical event to life, setting the stage for the story told in The Witcher 2.

GOG.com will also be adding the Witcher comic book to our list of goodies on the 17th as a free gift to everyone who owns the Witcher 2 (http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/the_witcher_2); further, there will be a new game map, game guide, manual, and soundtrack available in your free goodies on that day as well.

The Witcher 2 is already a game that has won--in scientific notation--a gazillion awards. Come this April 17th, itís going to get even better!
---end copypasta

I wonder what that "free" means. Dumbasses like me who bought W2 on Gamersgate are bound to cough up money for Enhanced as it were a DLC?

db1331
26-01-2012, 09:28 PM
All the stuff they are adding in the Xbox release.

Althea
26-01-2012, 09:32 PM
I wonder what that "free" means. Dumbasses like me who bought W2 on Gamersgate are bound to cough up money for Enhanced as it were a DLC?
No, it means it's free...

But still, this is my thought stream:
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6740/applejackbrainfullof.png

Wizardry
26-01-2012, 09:33 PM
All the stuff they are adding in the Xbox release.
It's coming out on the Xbox 360? Finally!

Smashbox
26-01-2012, 09:52 PM
Anyone who understands how this works: Would Steam Witcher 2 owners get the upgrade for free as well?

Althea
26-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Anyone who understands how this works: Would Steam Witcher 2 owners get the upgrade for free as well?
Yes.

Everyone who owns The Witcher 2 will be getting the free upgrade. It's how it worked with The Witcher, I see no reason why it will change with The Witcher 2 - they've certainly not said anything to the contrary.

db1331
26-01-2012, 10:50 PM

That is by far the most offensive thing I've ever seen you post.

Wizardry
26-01-2012, 10:54 PM
That is by far the most offensive thing I've ever seen you post.
Not if you know my reason for saying that.

db1331
26-01-2012, 10:55 PM
I just started a Dark Mode play through of the game a couple weeks ago. I've only managed to craft one of the special dark swords so far. Until you complete the whole set (3-4 pieces of armor and 2 swords) equipping any of it will slowly drain your health. As of right now, I can only pull my sword out for about 15 seconds before it kills me (and that's if I don't have some monster clawing off my face at the same time), but it's great for making quick work of small groups of enemies. Looks great on your back too.

db1331
26-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Not if you know my reason for saying that.

I hoped it was unbridled sarcasm, but one can never be too sure with Wizardry.

kyrieee
26-01-2012, 11:22 PM
I just started a Dark Mode play through of the game a couple weeks ago. I've only managed to craft one of the special dark swords so far. Until you complete the whole set (3-4 pieces of armor and 2 swords) equipping any of it will slowly drain your health. As of right now, I can only pull my sword out for about 15 seconds before it kills me (and that's if I don't have some monster clawing off my face at the same time), but it's great for making quick work of small groups of enemies. Looks great on your back too.

It's pretty dumb until you mod it because:
1) the screen gets too dark, it gets super annoying
2) crafting the sets costs an absurd amount of gold, especially in chapter 2 & 3. You just have to grind minigames forever.

R-F
26-01-2012, 11:42 PM
The issue is... It still fucking doesn't work on Steam. :|

JamesG
27-01-2012, 12:36 AM
Bah. Today I discovered that in the move to Gamefly from D2D, someone decided I clearly didn't actually want the Witcher 2, and removed it from my purchase history. (Fallout New Vegas also went walkabouts, but at least that was Steamworks.)

I have backups of everything, and its possible that it may reappear in the future, but its hardly a good start for the service. The online gubbins seem to suggest that even stuff I can't actually download from Gamefly should still be listed in my purchase history.

Smashbox
27-01-2012, 12:39 AM
I didn't know about the steam issue - the game doesn't work?

Rii
27-01-2012, 12:53 AM
Called it.

Watashiwa
27-01-2012, 01:48 AM
Somehow I managed to miss this topic in my excitement to talk about it, so I created a second thread. Ah well.

Personally, my hope is that the Enhanced Edition has an ending beyond "Geralt, Triss and friend leave Loc Muine.

Still, I do have to wonder what the other additions are going to be like. New romance option in Papebrock?

squirrel
27-01-2012, 02:11 AM
Yahoo~

I love you CD Projekt. Com'n, baby, give me a kiss~

Drinking with Skeletons
27-01-2012, 03:56 AM
I'll be surprised if this does well on consoles. That said: new updates! I'm actually not sure if I want more stuff in Act III, though. Unlike apparently everyone else, I thought that the short length of Act III helped establish a sense of urgency and consequence that few games achieve.

DigitalSignalX
27-01-2012, 04:23 AM
This will be a superb excuse to actually finish the game.

Althea
27-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Summary of CDP's conference yesterday (http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/26979-news-all-your-questions-will-be-answered-on-january-26/page__view__findpost__p__759802)

So yes, everyone gets the new extra stuff.

Caleb367
27-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Summary of CDP's conference yesterday (http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/26979-news-all-your-questions-will-be-answered-on-january-26/page__view__findpost__p__759802)

So yes, everyone gets the new extra stuff.

Hell yes. I was already full of shame for having bought that on GG instead of GOG (hey, it was a massive discount and I was suffering from Witchery addiction, ok? Stop looking at me like that!) but the GOG post made me think I would have had to cough up more moneyz for that. As punishment. A well deserved punishment. T_T

Althea
27-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Hell yes. I was already full of shame for having bought that on GG instead of GOG (hey, it was a massive discount and I was suffering from Witchery addiction, ok? Stop looking at me like that!) but the GOG post made me think I would have had to cough up more moneyz for that. As punishment. A well deserved punishment. T_T
I honestly don't know why people assumed it'd be paid-for content elsewhere. That wasn't the case with The Witcher 2.0, nor was it the case with The Witcher 1's Enhanced Edition.

duff
27-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Part me me hopes that it doesn't do too well on consoles so that CD Project keep their focus on the pc build, but that would be a twatish thing to do as they are brilliant and deserve every success.

Rii
28-01-2012, 12:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nC78t0NUCE

Hot sex.

vinraith
28-01-2012, 12:52 AM
Dammit, yet another reason to put off playing it (not that I don't hugely appreciate the free update and new content, of course!). At this rate I won't get around to running through TW2 until TW3 comes along.

Wizardry
28-01-2012, 12:54 AM
Part me me hopes that it doesn't do too well on consoles so that CD Project keep their focus on the pc build, but that would be a twatish thing to do as they are brilliant and deserve every success.
I hope it does really, really well on the consoles.

evilbobthebob
28-01-2012, 01:00 AM
I want that potion...

Shane
28-01-2012, 03:37 AM

Yea, with CDP we can safely say that The Witcher's success on console would benefit the pc versions too.

Doesn'tmeananything
28-01-2012, 07:21 AM
Yea, with CDP we can safely say that The Witcher's success on console would benefit the pc versions too.

Read between Wizardry's lines. And no, it wouldn't. The second game, so obviously planned to be released on consoles sooner or later, already diverged too much from what made the first Witcher so good. Further pursuit of console market would mean further dilution of game mechanics, so we would end up with something akin to Mass Effect 2 (ugh), albeit with a better story quality.

Shane
28-01-2012, 08:16 AM
No, I do get what he's trying to say but I don't think that would be the fate of The Witcher IP. Despite being consolized in some aspects (the UI for one) it's still mechanically better than the first game. I know that compromises will have to be made for the pc version but I still think/hope that the overall result would be better. Mass Effect never really had anything to do with the pc IIRC it was ported to the pc much later after its 360 release.

Althea
28-01-2012, 09:29 AM
Mass Effect never really had anything to do with the pc IIRC it was ported to the pc much later after its 360 release.
By a third party who did an absolutely pathetic job of it, even though Unreal Engine 3 is a multi-platform engine. It was about six months later, which - as far as post-release ports go - isn't too far off the mark.

Rii
28-01-2012, 10:14 AM
By a third party who did an absolutely pathetic job of it, even though Unreal Engine 3 is a multi-platform engine. It was about six months later, which - as far as post-release ports go - isn't too far off the mark.

I recall reading that the PC port was superb and a significant improvement over the Xbox 360 release. Perhaps standards differ...

Althea
28-01-2012, 10:47 AM
I recall reading that the PC port was superb and a significant improvement over the Xbox 360 release. Perhaps standards differ...
The UI, sure, but the PC port is utterly terrible as far as ports go.

squirrel
28-01-2012, 10:49 AM

Hot sex.

Looks cool. I know it is magic, but, anyone think this could be a great weapon in real world military?

BTW I am so glad this game becomes multi-platform as promised. I always believe that a great game deserves to be appreciated by a boarder audience. Plus, if one wants to play with the stunning graphics as advertised, one needs quite a beast to run it.

But why no Playstation version?

c-Row
28-01-2012, 10:57 AM

For what reasons other than the inventory?

Althea
28-01-2012, 11:00 AM
For what reasons other than the inventory?
The graphics, primarily. The performance was a bit wobbly too, and I don't think Demiurge really did much beyond making sure the PC version worked.

The difference between ME1 and ME2 is staggering. Whilst ME2 uses another crap UI, the way ME2 performs and looks is miles ahead of ME1.

Rii
28-01-2012, 01:29 PM

Given that the UI is probably the single most important component...

Kaira-
28-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Ah snap, now I kinda want to get the Dark Edition for Microsoftbox, just because of that Witcher Medallion. Damn.

TailSwallower
28-01-2012, 02:02 PM
The issue is... It still fucking doesn't work on Steam. :|

What's the issue with it on Steam? I'm sure I'll end up getting it from GOG when I do, but I'm still curious.

Lukasz
28-01-2012, 02:03 PM
How is ME1 PC graphics any different to ME1 console graphics?

Althea
28-01-2012, 02:18 PM
How is ME1 PC graphics any different to ME1 console graphics?
I don't know, I've not played the 360 version for years. But the PC version is not pretty at the best of times. The contrast between the default face and the customisable ones is ridiculous, too.

What's the issue with it on Steam? I'm sure I'll end up getting it from GOG when I do, but I'm still curious.
I think it's something to do with the latest patch - it broke an aspect of the game rendering it unplayable, if my memory serves me correctly.

Stellar Duck
28-01-2012, 02:59 PM
I don't know, I've not played the 360 version for years. But the PC version is not pretty at the best of times. The contrast between the default face and the customisable ones is ridiculous, too.

That's hardly a PC port issue though? Wouldn't that be the same on the consoles? I managed to make the guy in the picture and I thought that was alright. Especially considering the abominations I normally end up with.

As for me, I thought the port was rock solid. Smooth 60 fps sailing all the way, alright graphics and decent controls.

soldant
28-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Having played both PC and 360 versions of ME1, I can say that graphically they're pretty damn similar, but the PC obviously benefits from the much higher resolutions. The PC has a horrible bug with Garrus' face, such that it's always low-detail.

Drinking with Skeletons
28-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Actually, I don't think that ME1 looked bad at all on the PC, and I never had performance issues. Everyone who played both agreed that load times were worlds better on the PC and the interface was generally superior. Sure, ME2 looks better (and arguably runs better, due to better level design and the removal of those damned elevators), but what would you expect from a sequel?

Edit: @Soldant: I always thought there was something off about his face. I didn't realize it was a bug, as that kind of problem appears exactly nowhere else in the game. Strange that that would've made it through in an otherwise quality port.

Stellar Duck
28-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Actually, I don't think that ME1 looked bad at all on the PC, and I never had performance issues. Everyone who played both agreed that load times were worlds better on the PC and the interface was generally superior. Sure, ME2 looks better (and arguably runs better, due to better level design and the removal of those damned elevators), but what would you expect from a sequel?

Edit: @Soldant: I always thought there was something off about his face. I didn't realize it was a bug, as that kind of problem appears exactly nowhere else in the game. Strange that that would've made it through in an otherwise quality port.

I really really miss the elevators. They made the game world seem connected instead of the obvious levels and loading screens on the second game. The same goes for the scanner on the Normandy in the air lock.

sabrage
28-01-2012, 04:37 PM
The Witcher+(PS2) Shinobi? Fucking awesome!

Oh right, I'm the only one here who played that game.

Phinor
28-01-2012, 05:26 PM
I think it's something to do with the latest patch - it broke an aspect of the game rendering it unplayable, if my memory serves me correctly.

Ooh, now I'm curious as I just began playing Witcher 2 on Steam and haven't seen anything game-breaking yet, though I'm still playing the prologue. Anyone know the actual problem with Witcher 2 and Steam? Quick visit at the Steam forums tells me there's some issue with Steam overlay at least but that's literally meaningless to the actual gaming experience.

coldvvvave
28-01-2012, 05:36 PM
My problem with Witcher 2 was that it was rather boring, linear and dialogue heavy( not always a good thing, especially when gameplay itself is nothing special). Not sure if Enchanced Edition can fix that. To be fair, I dropped it somewhere around chapter 2, maybe it gets better, although I heard it actually gets worse by chapter 3.

Unaco
28-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Ooh, now I'm curious as I just began playing Witcher 2 on Steam and haven't seen anything game-breaking yet, though I'm still playing the prologue. Anyone know the actual problem with Witcher 2 and Steam? Quick visit at the Steam forums tells me there's some issue with Steam overlay at least but that's literally meaningless to the actual gaming experience.

I don't think it's a major problem with the Steam version... It's isolated to a small number of people if it is a problem.

Lukasz
28-01-2012, 05:46 PM
okay...
but why did you say that PC port is a bad one then because of graphics?

Shane
28-01-2012, 06:09 PM
The PC port is bad. Other than the lack of graphics settings and their low quality there were a multitude of bugs and glitchy sound.

Doesn'tmeananything
28-01-2012, 06:38 PM
I can't believe you guys went on a tangent about graphics in Mass Effect games after I mentioned ME2.

My problem with Witcher 2 was that it was rather boring, linear and dialogue heavy( not always a good thing, especially when gameplay itself is nothing special). Not sure if Enchanced Edition can fix that. To be fair, I dropped it somewhere around chapter 2, maybe it gets better, although I heard it actually gets worse by chapter 3.

Sort of what I think was the issue with the game and with continuing support now.

Witcher 2 relies too heavily on its literary background, so your enjoyment of the game story-wise would be in direct proportion to your enjoyment of Sapkowski's books. Without reading or liking them there's really little reason to care about what happens in the game. Which is so surprising, since Witcher 1 was very self-sufficient in that regard.

Combat's also very much a miss, with holes all over it, incredibly easy just to cheese through. And it looks so ridiculous.

All the subtle choices and consequences were subverted by this bombastic, um, bifurcation of chapter 2 which, after playing both paths, wasn't really worth it.

So with basically just these aspects constituting the second game, I can't see how's the first game is worse, especially vis-ŗ-vis mechanics. But I do believe that the changes from the first game were made mostly to appeal to console market.

Now the stuff with 'version 2.0' and Enhanced Edition really irks me. Bugfixes are fine, but there's also useless content on top of it, and it's all served as if the game has become virtually flawless. Why would the game need more NPCs? More side-quests in the chapter that's culmination point to the main storyline? And a new cutscene? Eh, it's all incomparable to EE of Witcher 1.

Stupid marketing.

Unaco
28-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Because your views are far from Universal Doesn'tmeananything, and in fact are in opposition to the majority of people's feelings about the game. Also, the EE is probably for those new to the game, or those who enjoyed the game before the EE and want more out of it. I'm assuming, if you didn't like TW2 (either original or v2.0) then the EE is not going to go very far towards making you like the game.

You don't need to have read the books to get what's happening, and to enjoy the story. It helps, certainly, knowing about some of the characters before they are explained in the game, or some of the events referred to... but it's not necessary. Geralt has amnesia... everything eventually gets spelled out in your journal.

Combat was great... much better than the rhythm game of the first. It opened the combat up, allowed for different tactics, different ways of approaching an encounter. It was tough, and required some thought and planning. It had that almost roguelike aspect to it, where you had to learn which sort of tactics to use against which sort of opponents.

The small and subtle consequences where undermined by the large, major bifurcation choice? Yeah... that's kind of the point. It's a huge choice, that will affect the rest of the game. Your choice has a major, major consequence for the rest of the game. It's much better than just giving you a different quest giver, but essentially the same Act 2 and 3.

Althea
28-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Well, the problem is more prominent on Steam due to the inability to use any version other than the most recent one. I'm not 100% clued up on it, but from what I know the latest patch can cause some issues with loading the game (i.e. it doesn't work), and there's not been a fix for it. Retail customers (I'm not sure about The Witcher 2.0 retail owners) and those from other platforms that don't auto-update are able to use previous versions (albeit after a reinstall).

okay...
but why did you say that PC port is a bad one then because of graphics?

The PC port is bad. Other than the lack of graphics settings and their low quality there were a multitude of bugs and glitchy sound.
Shane's got a fair point, although it does extend to ME2 as well, but really I don't think it's a great port at all. The in-game UI is certainly fairly good, but the inventory is dire (and it's supposed to be an "improvement"), controlling the Mako isn't fun and the visuals are just... dire. On top of BioWare's inability to have decent looking skeletons (note: FemShep's neck is very long, just to start with), the game is filled with really bad graphics. The texture quality is inconsistent, the lighting is absolutely terrible, there's a myriad of clipping issues and so forth.

The game works, don't get me wrong, but I'd put it on the same level as Fable III's port. Gameplay is intact, but the visuals might cause... discomfort.

Wizardry
28-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Combat was great... much better than the rhythm game of the first. It opened the combat up, allowed for different tactics, different ways of approaching an encounter. It was tough, and required some thought and planning. It had that almost roguelike aspect to it, where you had to learn which sort of tactics to use against which sort of opponents.
The combat is absolutely dreadful. Much better than the first? Maybe. But the first game's combat system was one of the worst I've seen. Tactical? Compared to what exactly?

Rii
28-01-2012, 07:05 PM
I preferred the combat system in the first game. And everything else about the first game too. =/

Lukasz
28-01-2012, 07:06 PM
but the inventory is dire (and it's supposed to be an "improvement"), controlling the Mako isn't fun and the visuals are just... dire. On top of BioWare's inability to have decent looking skeletons (note: FemShep's neck is very long, just to start with), the game is filled with really bad graphics. The texture quality is inconsistent, the lighting is absolutely terrible, there's a myriad of clipping issues and so forth.

The game works, don't get me wrong, but I'd put it on the same level as Fable III's port. Gameplay is intact, but the visuals might cause... discomfort.
what you said do not make a bad port. people confirmed that console version of ME1 looks the same as PC (or PC is better one)
lack of graphics settings (not the quality)
bugs and glitches which were not present on console.
those are valid points.
Everything you said is simply criticism of the game which is applied to both pc version and console. Not against the port.

anyhow.
I still did not play TW2 as i don't have computer good enough to run this game. I might have one in march this year but i wonder whether i should actually install all that crap or try to play 1.0 (i am curious about whether the fighting was as difficult as every said last year. and i think it was nerfed)

Unaco
28-01-2012, 07:17 PM
The combat is absolutely dreadful. Much better than the first? Maybe. But the first game's combat system was one of the worst I've seen. Tactical? Compared to what exactly?

The combat is great. Much better than the first game, which was interesting, but in the end was quite simplistic and easily mastered, and there wasn't much depth to it... a sort of Rock Paper Shotgun + rhythm combo. And yes... Tactical... If I have a mass of Nekkers to fight (10 or more), I don't go wading into the middle (which is what they wait for, staying bunched up together in a mass) because then they tear me up from the sides/rear... Instead, you use the environment and the terrain, keep moving, try to pull individuals off and take them 1on1, split the mass up, hit and run... play it tactically, you see. Similarly if I have 4 or 5 human opponents to deal with, you measure them up, see what sort of threats they pose and how... the big armoured Knight, who's too slow to chase me down I can leave til the end, the Halberdiers will be a problem as they can use their range to control my movements, but they can't fight up close, the sword/shield guys will take some time to get through their defenses, or I'll have to attack them from the rear etc., but that Wizard HAS to go, because he's lobbing fireballs at me, and is the biggest immediate danger. Then there's finding information about monsters and enemies, finding their weaknesses, preparing and consuming the right potions and applying the right poisons for the situation.

See. Tactical.

Althea
28-01-2012, 07:33 PM
people confirmed that console version of ME1 looks the same as PC (or PC is better one)
Make your mind up. It's one or the other.

Lukasz
28-01-2012, 07:43 PM
No. it is not. PC benefits from higher resolution as per Soldat's words just few posts above. but they do look similar. so your points are invalid.

Wizardry
28-01-2012, 07:49 PM
See. Tactical.
That's amazing. You have the ability to make anything seem tactical. Do Modern Warfare next!

Unaco
28-01-2012, 07:53 PM
That's amazing. You have the ability to make anything seem tactical. Do Modern Warfare next!

I don't think it's any special or remarkable skill or personal characteristic which I possess Wizardry... just an open mind about games made after 1987.

Doesn'tmeananything
28-01-2012, 08:04 PM
I'm assuming, if you didn't like TW2 (either original or v2.0) then the EE is not going to go very far towards making you like the game.

It doesn't matter whether I liked the game or not, or if I'm a new player or already completed it fives times. EE will not go far towards making anybody like the game. It's pointless and serves only marketing purposes.

You don't need to have read the books to get what's happening, and to enjoy the story.

Names and facts, which are expanded on for a couple of lines in the game's journal and are hugely fleshed out in the books, are everywhere in the main story. Surely, the sidequests are absolutely independent and done in style of books, but the majority of the overarching storyline remains this confusing behemoth that neither a newcomer or the main character himself care much about. Without books, you're just going to miss a lot.

The most of combat was fighting groups of enemies. Since more than one enemy is already a problem (read: can't be Aard'ed into oblivion), you had two options: use Quen and jump right into the fray or kite one guy after another with rolls and running around, gradually dispatching a group. Any other 'tactic' only unnecessarily prolonged the fights, and the game didn't challenge the player to use anything else.

The small and subtle consequences where undermined by the large, major bifurcation choice? Yeah... that's kind of the point.

It's a bad point, then. How is this obvious, signposted choice is better than the nuance of Witcher 1?

It's a huge choice, that will affect the rest of the game. Your choice has a major, major consequence for the rest of the game. It's much better than just giving you a different quest giver, but essentially the same Act 2 and 3.

See, the thing is that it didn't affect the rest of the game that much. It's understandable. What a huge amount of work should've gone into the third chapter to implement all the meaningful consequences of two different chapters before that. It's incredibly ambitious, and they didn't pull it off. The last chapter is pretty much the same in any case.

I just don't think the game benefited from having two second acts. Characters overlap, as do most of the locations, and Roche's path has much more unique stuff to do. After trying each of them, they don't seem equivalent and they don't have much bearing on the story after, so from that comes the thought that it might have been better they were merged, and done with more attention to minutiae.

I preferred the combat system in the first game. And everything else about the first game too. =/

Pretty much what I think, in short.

Wizardry
28-01-2012, 08:07 PM
I don't think it's any special or remarkable skill or personal characteristic which I possess Wizardry... just an open mind about games made after 1987.
Keeps getting earlier and earlier. Soon I'll only like games made before 1873, at which point I'll fall outside Rock Paper Shotgun's target audience. You're trying to drive me out!

soldant
29-01-2012, 01:49 AM
If you hold the two up side by side, the PC version looks better only for the increased resolution, not because of any new textures. The PC version got a very minor graphical update at best. The notable exception is Garrus' face, which is bugged on the PC version, and allegedly requires a multi-GB patch to fix and therefore won't be fixed, I'm guessing due to the way the assets are packed (for some ridiculous reason).

Since it operates at a higher res by default it does look better, but they didn't go through with a revisionist's brush and include higher detail textures everywhere, or update the smaller assets with the lower-quality textures. The significant changes between the console and PC version were the inventory GUI (which is still horrible) and the hacking minigame, which is a Frogger clone while on the 360 it was a game of sequence memory.

On the subject of TW/TW2... I've tried several times to like the games but I just can't. They just bore me. I feel like I'm just dumped into a conflict which I know little about and which I have no reason to care about. I don't particularly engage with any of the characters, or with any of the objectives, and the gameplay is pretty boring and repetitive too. That's cool if others like it, but that's how I react to the game, and I can't seem to give either of them more than a few hours each.

Althea
29-01-2012, 10:42 AM
soldant; in terms of The Witcher. I'm not sure what it was but at a certain point (towards the end of Chapter/Act 3) the game just clicked for me, and I finished the rest over the course of a few days.

My problem with The Witcher 2 is that it kind of feels like a BioWare game. By that I mean they listened to the community and then smashed their heads on their desks long enough to mess the thoughts up. Dragon Age 2 streamlined and derpified the rather dull(ish) Origins (which I managed to spend 150 hours in - somehow), Mass Effect 2 did some strange things after ME1. That's what The Witcher 2 is, to me. Instead of improving on the successful formula of The Witcher and improving it, they went and did their own thing. The combat totally changed, the UI is all flashy and stuff, the graphics seem to be... pretty darned good, but maybe overly so (that ubersampling thing, as an example). It doesn't feel like The Witcher. It feels like something completely different, and I'm finding it hard to play because of that.

Unaco
29-01-2012, 02:28 PM
It doesn't matter whether I liked the game or not, or if I'm a new player or already completed it fives times. EE will not go far towards making anybody like the game. It's pointless and serves only marketing purposes.

Not very familiar with the PC Gaming crowd these days, are you? Treating your customers well (already existing, ones that have paid their money down) gets major, major kudos for a Developer these days. Look at all the people who say (or said) "Buy TW2 direct from GoG because it's DRM Free!", or when they removed the DRM from other copies in the first patch, or look at the praise they've gotten for releasing 2.0 and now this.

Think of the word of mouth when this comes out, people telling their friends a great game just got even better... lots of those, who haven't picked it up or heard of it, might see this game + overhaul and the way CDPR treat their customers and decide to pick the game up... A bigger, better package than when it was first released, and that might be what tips some people over, those that might have heard of it, but held off. And it's going to get articles and generate buzz, and come to the attention of those who possibly haven't heard of it before.

And, for those of us who enjoyed the game, and appreciate CDPR still working on extra content and features, it just ingratiates us to them even more.

Of course, if you didn't like the game, this isn't going to be that exciting for you (although surely you can agree that these are the sorts of Devs we need in PC gaming... most other devs would release this sort of thing as DLC and charge for it). Complaining about it is pretty pointless though... It's like saying "I didn't like Rome Total War. Releasing Barbarian Invasion is totally pointless... why add new factions and a new campaign and new units and features? And a new introduction cinematic? It's just pointless". If you hated the game, then this isn't for you... It's for those of us who liked the game, those who have maybe never come across it, those who were on the fence about it.

tl/dr: "Marketing" purposes, yes. Pointless, no.

Grizzly
29-01-2012, 03:32 PM

Modern Warfare multiplayer actually is reasonably tactical, 'specially the Search and Destroy mode.

Wizardry
29-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Modern Warfare multiplayer actually is reasonably tactical, 'specially the Search and Destroy mode.
You can say the same for any team-based multi-player FPS. It's all relative.

Squiz
29-01-2012, 09:22 PM

Hot sex.Really cool. Already looking forward to this. Might give me a good reason to replay this game. :)

Doesn'tmeananything
30-01-2012, 08:19 AM
Not very familiar with the PC Gaming crowd these days, are you?

PC gaming crowd these days is nothing worth familiarising with.

Complaining about it is pretty pointless though... It's like saying "I didn't like Rome Total War. Releasing Barbarian Invasion is totally pointless... why add new factions and a new campaign and new units and features? And a new introduction cinematic? It's just pointless". If you hated the game, then this isn't for you... It's for those of us who liked the game, those who have maybe never come across it, those who were on the fence about it.

Can't you see that EE is going to be nothing like an expansion pack for a strategy game, which by nature has to have many new gameplay features, and is full of superficial elements that just by virtue of being free are somehow a reason to eulogise the developer.

I liked the game, but ever since the release nothing was done to actually improve the gameplay, and instead CDPR seems to be keen on hiding half-done, superfluous, not thought-out content behind flashy titles, hoping to sell just a bit more. I can't respect that, and it feels unfair.

SamuelH
30-01-2012, 09:35 AM
While I enjoyed W2 quite a bit, id be the first to admit it had a few problems. The UI and the whole in medias res story telling aspect were probably its two main flaws. It is a sequel yes but nothing stopped them from putting an optional back story section into the interview the main character is going through during the first bit. I didn't finish the first game so I assume a lot of the story regarding the different factions is explained there.

It gave me the feeling of a project that was very important to the developers but they had perhaps stopped examining it critically. For example, they just assumed you were familiar with the magic system with little introduction to it.

The EE may provide a better experience overall but I sincerely hope that the games problems are recognised and the developers address them in the third game.

c-Row
30-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Can't you see that EE is going to be nothing like an expansion pack for a strategy game, which by nature has to have many new gameplay features, and is full of superficial elements that just by virtue of being free are somehow a reason to eulogise the developer.

The EE of the first game went way beyond adding "superficial elements", so there is reason to assume that this time they will also add more stuff than they bullet-pointed out in their press release.

Rii
30-01-2012, 01:50 PM
I just hope they remember to print the title down the side of the box this time around. =/

Unaco
30-01-2012, 02:48 PM
I liked the game, but ever since the release nothing was done to actually improve the gameplay, and instead CDPR seems to be keen on hiding half-done, superfluous, not thought-out content behind flashy titles, hoping to sell just a bit more. I can't respect that, and it feels unfair.

Bullsh*t. They made plenty of changes to improve the gameplay, and if you deny that then you are either crazy or being deliberately antagonistic. Item Storage, Junk panel, improvements to targeting, responsiveness in combat, better and more sensible blocking, changes to effects/duration of bombs, improvements to the alchemy interface, the Tutorial, the Arena, less annoying knock down on Geralt, better parrying, more sensible attacks at distance, better combo flow, better target selection... And that's just from a quick look at the change lists for 2 of the patches.

They've done plenty to improve the game play... you just seem to have an axe to grind if you can't see that.

Drake Sigar
30-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Have to agree with Unaco, their support for this game has been unparalleled.

Grizzly
30-01-2012, 03:42 PM
You can say the same for any team-based multi-player FPS. It's all relative.

My point exactly.

Doesn'tmeananything
30-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Bullsh*t. They made plenty of changes to improve the gameplay, and if you deny that then you are either crazy or being deliberately antagonistic.

I've played through the game two times, once shortly after the release and the second time just recently, and those two playthroughs are both vivid memories. So I can say with all my confidence that, apart from bugfixes, virtually nothing added or changed in the game was benefitial to gameplay.

Item storage and junk panel are just extensions of the abominable UI and weight system, where the former provided more delightful time wading through console menus, if one would even have the sense to bother use that, and the latter questioned the existence of excusively inventory-hog type of items, when managing even usable stuff caused enough pain to deal with.

Combat changes, while a laudable thing to do as it was the meat of the game and had most of the problems, didn't address the broken state of skills and ultimately made the game easier, like it wasn't already just brainless clicking.

The tutorial was the case of grossly misspent resources. All that players needed was a bit more of those hints windows in the beginning, especially one with some basic combat tips before the first fight.

The arena, being an interesting concept for a small, harmless game mode (albeit a spit in the face lore-wise), lacked from a proper realisation, namely due to the aforementioned inane and fundamentally broken combat, but also small, incredibly annoying things such as having to skip the cinematic with some conversation each time you start anew or waiting through laggard meditation animations after each wave when you level up and make potions.

Oh, and that Dark Mode, the big feature of '2.0' edition is nothing but a hard difficulty mode with items that you have to grind for and, when finally acquired, make the game reach new heights of being excessively easy.

I have issues with plenty of core elements of the game, and most of those can't be fixed with patches. When some of them can be, however, and are not or made worse, it's very disappointing. A great developer does not make free stuff but good stuff.

Nalano
30-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Hey guys, what's going on here?

'Cause from the looks of it, Wizardry won't be happy until CDProjekt commits ritual seppuku, Doesn'tmeananything seems to think "bug fix" is synonymous with "major design change," Soldant is playing devil's advocate, Unaco is rallying around the flag and Althea is left to be the voice of reason.

Althea
30-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Althea is left to be the voice of reason.
Bullshit. I don't do reason.

Wizardry
30-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Wizardry won't be happy until CDProjekt commits ritual seppuku,

10characters

db1331
30-01-2012, 07:59 PM
I hope they make a new Wizardy game for Xbox, with QTE combat, dick jokes, and all the other stuff kids like these days.

Althea
30-01-2012, 08:13 PM
I hope they make a new Wizardy game for Xbox, with QTE combat, dick jokes, and all the other stuff kids like these days.
Let me introduce you to a game called Bulletstorm...

sabrage
30-01-2012, 08:40 PM
I was gonna make a snarky comment about how bad the current PS3 incarnation already is, but watching this it actually might be kind of cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM9d_o9st1A&feature=related
At least they took more than 5 minutes drawing their animu characters, unlike some of the recent Castlevania games.

Wizardry
30-01-2012, 10:00 PM
I was gonna make a snarky comment about how bad the current PS3 incarnation already is, but watching this it actually might be kind of cool.
Looks more fun than Dragon Age, Fallout 3, Skyrim and The Witcher 2 etc.

"There were only a handful of monsters."

What the fuck? There were exactly 100 enemy types in Wizardry 1. How is that only a handful?

Grizzly
30-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Looks more fun than Dragon Age, Fallout 3, Skyrim and The Witcher 2 etc.

What the fuck? There were exactly 100 enemy types in Wizardry 1. How is that only a handful?

Hmm. Are those actually 100 different enemies, or are 25 of those variations on the same sort of monsters?

Wizardry
30-01-2012, 11:04 PM
Hmm. Are those actually 100 different enemies, or are 25 of those variations on the same sort of monsters?
What's the difference? Are you talking about the graphics?

Dominic Tarason
30-01-2012, 11:16 PM

At least they took more than 5 minutes drawing their animu characters, unlike some of the recent Castlevania games.

It's a pretty neat game. I personally think that Wizardry: Tale of The Forsaken Land on the PS2 is a little better - it has a stronger story and more dynamic combat - but, yeah, consoles over the past couple of decades have actually been delivering *exactly* what our resident RPG grognard has been saying consoles could never offer.

Irony!

There was an even more recent, retail-only Wizardry game released only in Japan not too long ago. Sad that XSeed or Rising Star haven't picked it up for localization.

Wizardry
30-01-2012, 11:18 PM
consoles over the past couple of decades have actually been delivering *exactly* what our resident RPG grognard has been saying consoles could never offer.
When did I say that?

deano2099
31-01-2012, 03:40 AM

Big hands.

Wizardry
31-01-2012, 04:01 AM
Big hands.
Might and Magic II had 256 different enemy types. :)

Doesn'tmeananything
31-01-2012, 05:41 AM
Doesn'tmeananything seems to think "bug fix" is synonymous with "major design change"

No. ASKDJALKSDJLASD

Nalano
31-01-2012, 06:33 AM
No. ASKDJALKSDJLASD

Dude, if you were capable of self-reflection, I wouldn't have so much fun colorfully interpreting your posts.

Doesn'tmeananything
31-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Doesn'tmeananything seems to think "bug fix" is synonymous with "major design change"

I have issues with plenty of core elements of the game, and most of those can't be fixed with patches. When some of them can be, however, and are not or made worse, it's very disappointing.adfasdjafjsfasjf

deano2099
31-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Might and Magic II had 256 different enemy types. :)

Really big hands.

Grizzly
31-01-2012, 11:42 AM
What's the difference? Are you talking about the graphics?

No, whether or not those different enemy types actually have different abilities or feats, and require different tactics to defeat, or that a lot of the enemy types are just *enemy template A with a to hit bonus* * enemy template A with a bigger to hit bonus* etc.

c-Row
31-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Really big hands.

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/215128154_PrjWo-L-2.jpg

sabrage
31-01-2012, 12:49 PM
I thought the original Xbox controller was perfect. I wish all controllers came in "tiny baby" and "plus size" variations.

Wizardry
31-01-2012, 05:06 PM
No, whether or not those different enemy types actually have different abilities or feats, and require different tactics to defeat, or that a lot of the enemy types are just *enemy template A with a to hit bonus* * enemy template A with a bigger to hit bonus* etc.
Yeah. A lot of them. Of course the non-spell casters just attack, but that's no different than in modern games like Oblivion.

Grizzly
31-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Yeah. A lot of them. Of course the non-spell casters just attack, but that's no different than in modern games like Oblivion.

Just kinda curious: What exactly is your definition of tactical anyways?

Wizardry
31-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Just kinda curious: What exactly is your definition of tactical anyways?
Wizardry and Might and Magic can hardly be described as tactical.

Unaco
31-01-2012, 06:12 PM
So... Tactical, as defined by Wizardry, is anything/everything that Wizardry and Might and Magic aren't? Is that it? That's going to be one messed up definition.

Wizardry
31-01-2012, 06:20 PM
So... Tactical, as defined by Wizardry, is anything/everything that Wizardry and Might and Magic aren't? Is that it? That's going to be one messed up definition.
No. It's just nothing to do with what was being talked about.

What's your favourite type of biscuit?

deano2099
31-01-2012, 06:50 PM
What's your favourite type of biscuit?

No. I am not getting into another drawn-out argument about the definition of a biscuit with you. I like Jaffa Cakes, leave me be. :)

Grizzly
01-02-2012, 09:34 AM
No. It's just nothing to do with what was being talked about.

Really? You asked "Tactical? Compared to what exactly?". My question is what your standards actually are.

Wizardry
01-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Really? You asked "Tactical? Compared to what exactly?". My question is what your standards actually are.
But that question had nothing to do with db1331 bringing up Wizardry.

Grizzly
01-02-2012, 07:21 PM
But that question had nothing to do with db1331 bringing up Wizardry.

It had quite a lot to do with things said earlier in this thread though. Is there anything wrong with my curiosity, or is it just you?

Hensler
01-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Has it been mentioned anywhere if the gamepad controls they are developing for the console version will be added to the PC version with the Enhanced Edition? I had a lot of technical problems using an Xbox 360 controller when this came out, but the mouse controls didnt feel right either.

Rii
01-02-2012, 11:43 PM
Has it been mentioned anywhere if the gamepad controls they are developing for the console version will be added to the PC version with the Enhanced Edition? I had a lot of technical problems using an Xbox 360 controller when this came out, but the mouse controls didnt feel right either.

Who invited you to butt into Wizardry Circlejerk #4512?

Hensler
02-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Who invited you to butt into Wizardry Circlejerk #4512?

I guess I've gotten pretty use to pretending posts with anything to do with Wizardry don't exist. Which is a shame, because I actually like that RPG series once upon a time.

Althea
25-03-2012, 10:30 PM
Play.com have pre-orders for the Enhanced Edition (http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/28776825/The-Witcher-2-Assassins-Of-Kings-Enhanced-Edition/Product.html)
- 3rd retail release
- Less goodies than any edition of any Witcher game since The Witcher 1's initial release.
- Currently at £40 (Unless you go to Amazon UK, where it's £30 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Witcher-Assassins-Enhanced-Edition/dp/B0074H98HS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1332711249&sr=8-4).

Wowzer. You're getting charged more for less. Fucking win or what?

Nalano
25-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Wowzer. You're getting charged more for less. Fucking win or what?

Play.com, the S3 Virge of retailers?

deano2099
26-03-2012, 12:48 AM
Same price as the 360 version, probably just a screw-up.

Althea
26-03-2012, 09:13 AM
I also pointed it out to be £30 on Amazon.

That's still a high price when you consider - over the past year - it's frequently been cheaper and shipped with more free crap. Not sure if it'll give people digital versions of the videos, papercraft, etc, but it seems very strange for CDP to ship a redux version so quickly.

deano2099
26-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Well the original box is £12 on Play now I think... I imagine they don't want to hugely undercut the 360 version though. I mean, they're adding all this stuff I think partly so 360 owners won't balk at paying full price for a game that's a year old. Were I a 360 owner I'd probably feel a bit cheated if I looked online and saw it was £40, but only £20 on PC. On the other hand, if it looks like they have an 'inferior' version, I'd feel better about it...

Oof
26-03-2012, 11:06 AM
Can't wait!

Althea
26-03-2012, 11:59 AM
Well the original box is £12 on Play now I think... I imagine they don't want to hugely undercut the 360 version though. I mean, they're adding all this stuff I think partly so 360 owners won't balk at paying full price for a game that's a year old. Were I a 360 owner I'd probably feel a bit cheated if I looked online and saw it was £40, but only £20 on PC. On the other hand, if it looks like they have an 'inferior' version, I'd feel better about it...
I don't know if it's like that. Just seems ridiculous for CDPR to make all this noise about lowering prices and so forth, and then the retail edition of the third release of the game is arguably the second-most expensive edition to date (most places had TW2 for ~£25 initially, and the CE was ~£70).

But 'cos it's CDP it's fine, right?

Wish they'd bloody hurry up; I would like to finish TW2 at some point

deano2099
26-03-2012, 12:45 PM
But 'cos it's CDP it's fine, right?

I think it's fine because, at least at the moment, you can still buy the original retail box.

Althea
26-03-2012, 01:35 PM
I think it's fine because, at least at the moment, you can still buy the original retail box.
Probably only 'cos third-parties have it in stock. TW2 is out of stock most places, TW2.0 is in stock (for now) for less than half of the price of the EE, which comes with roughly the same stuff as the EE does.

And now there's a Prima guide (http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/29405272/The-Witcher-2-Assassins-of-Kings/Product.html?dpr=648405). Brain full of fuck or what?

Lukasz
26-03-2012, 02:19 PM
well

it is brand new release on xbox. if pc version was priced so much cheaper console players would whine. and game would be promoted for xbox but people will buy it on pc for much cheaper price. undercutting their console sales.

kyrieee
26-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Buy it on a Steam sale or something.
They give you more shit than 99% of all retail packages, so I don't see why you're complaining.

Althea
26-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Buy it on a Steam sale or something.
They give you more shit than 99% of all retail packages, so I don't see why you're complaining.
The hell? We're talking The Witcher 2. Other retail packs are completely and utterly irrelevant to this discussion. I already have it - I went and bought it the week it released (I think).

My point is that CDP have jacked up the price and are selling less. That, in my opinion, seems a bit of a dick move. It might contain more than the average retail release but it contains less than the original release of The Witcher 2 and less than either releases of the Enhanced Edition of The Witcher 1, but it costs more than either. Unless they somehow create a system whereby the purchaser can download the existing materials (e.g. videos, papercrafts, etc), it seems a bit of a dick move.

kyrieee
26-03-2012, 04:37 PM
So each subsequent release has to be a better value proposition than the previous one?
They're still giving you stuff that most publishers reserve for a collector's edition, and you can find super cheap versions of the game elsewhere. You don't have to like it, but it's hardly worth getting mad at them over either. It's like Valve chariging for something. Just because they almost always give you shit for free that doesn't mean they're never allowed to charge for DLC just like everyone else does.

Althea
26-03-2012, 05:01 PM
So each subsequent release has to be a better value proposition than the previous one?
They're still giving you stuff that most publishers reserve for a collector's edition, and you can find super cheap versions of the game elsewhere. You don't have to like it, but it's hardly worth getting mad at them over either. It's like Valve chariging for something. Just because they almost always give you shit for free that doesn't mean they're never allowed to charge for DLC just like everyone else does.
Better? No. Same? Yes. Do you not think it's just a little stupid that they're charging more for the same? TW2.0 came out at about £20 retail, went down super quickly. TW2:EE is looking to contain the same goodies, albeit updated, yet at a higher price.

It's more like Valve bringing out Portal 2 for £25 and then charging £30 a few months later because they've updated it.

Althea
05-04-2012, 06:43 PM
CDProjekt Spring Conference today.

Gods above, they're bullshitting like there's no tomorrow.

1. Free back up copy of The Witcher 2 if you have The Witcher 2 from elsewhere. They said it's the only "truly DRM-free" way. Uh... GamersGate? Retail version? Sigh. Once patched it doesn't matter whether it's DRM free or not, because they patched it out.

2. Witcher comics coming to iOS. Claim it's the first CDProjekt-made iOS app, forgetting The Witcher Vs.

3. Apparently the 360 version of TW2 looks as good as the PC version. No. It's not. Shut up.

Kaira-
05-04-2012, 06:50 PM

1. Free back up copy of The Witcher 2 if you have The Witcher 2 from elsewhere. They said it's the only "truly DRM-free" way. Uh... GamersGate? Retail version? Sigh. Once patched it doesn't matter whether it's DRM free or not, because they patched it out.

Doesn't GG require online-connection during installation?

2. Witcher comics coming to iOS. Claim it's the first CDProjekt-made iOS app, forgetting The Witcher Vs.

It is. Witcher vs. was made by Breakpoint.

Althea
05-04-2012, 06:51 PM
Hahahahaha.

Premium editions. Assassin's Creed Premium $20, HoMMV Bundle Premium $20.

Gonna go outside and laugh myself silly.

Althea
05-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Doesn't GG require online-connection during installation?
Not sure. You need to be online to patch/download it, anyway.

It is. Witcher vs. was made by Breakpoint.
Still an official CDPRojekt app.

Kaira-
05-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Hahahahaha.

Premium editions. Assassin's Creed Premium $20, HoMMV Bundle Premium $20.

Gonna go outside and laugh myself silly.

HoMMV + AssCreed = 20$.

Still an official CDPRojekt app.
Not made by CDProjekt. :)

Althea
05-04-2012, 06:55 PM
HoMMV + AssCreed = 20$.
For one week only.

EDIT: Fallout is free for the next 48hrs.

Already got it.

ShowMeTheMonkey
05-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Well that was kind of enjoyable. Shame I already own Fallout.

Can't wait to load up Witcher 2! It's been sitting there waiting for the update...

SirKicksalot
05-04-2012, 07:03 PM
When the hipster with the funny hat talked it felt like an infomercial. "We have a great product... But wait! If you buy now YOU GET MORE!!! Hang on, that's not all!!!... Blah blah blah"

Also:
>These special editions come with more content so they're more expensive
>5 minutes later: WE AT GEEOHGEE DON'T BELIEVE YOU HAVE TO PAY MORE FOR EXTRA CONTENT

Kodeen
05-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Act now, and we'll also throw in this colander made of gold-pressed latinum.

More DRM free releases of Ubi games is always a plus. I haven't even touched the AssCreed games yet, hope to see more on there.

deano2099
05-04-2012, 07:32 PM

Well I do get that bit. You need to patch it to get rid of the DRM, so you need the patch. If you have no internet, you can't get the patch. Although you could always back-up the patch.

Althea
05-04-2012, 07:33 PM
More DRM free releases of Ubi games is always a plus.
Not at those prices, it's not.

When the hipster with the funny hat talked it felt like an infomercial. "We have a great product... But wait! If you buy now YOU GET MORE!!! Hang on, that's not all!!!... Blah blah blah"

Also:
>These special editions come with more content so they're more expensive
>5 minutes later: WE AT GEEOHGEE DON'T BELIEVE YOU HAVE TO PAY MORE FOR EXTRA CONTENT
All of it was like that. It's as if they completely forgot that most people watching the conference were already TW1/TW2 owners and GOG users. We know what you do, we've played your games, shut the fuck up and get on with telling us which game we can have for free.

Oh, Fallout? That game EVERYONE OWNS ANYWAY? Awesome, thanks guys!

Well I do get that bit. You need to patch it to get rid of the DRM, so you need the patch. If you have no internet, you can't get the patch. Although you could always back-up the patch.
Which is exactly the same situation GOG is in.

Shane
05-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Though I didn't find the Conference anything special, I don't really disapprove of it either. Though the announcements were more about making profit than doing charity, CDPR actually went about it in a smart way.

Also, I don't think there's anything wrong with selling the new EE at a higher price.

Dominic Tarason
05-04-2012, 07:35 PM
They give away one of the best RPGs ever made, for free, to everyone - even new customers who have never heard of GOG before - and you lot are still finding things to complain about? Seriously?

Althea
05-04-2012, 07:38 PM
They give away one of the best RPGs ever made, for free, to everyone - even new customers who have never heard of GOG before - and you lot are still finding things to complain about? Seriously?
Yes. Giving one game away free (or a small number in total with GOG) does not make them unquestionable.

Also, I don't think there's anything wrong with selling the new EE at a higher price.
They're selling the same game, are they not? They're using the so-called Free Update to jack the price up, at least in terms of retail editions. That's a bit of a dick move. You pay more money for a cheaper game with free stuff and less physical content in the box than the initial edition.

On top of that, those with The Witcher 2/2.0 have to download a 10GB patch to play TW2:EE.

Shane
05-04-2012, 07:43 PM
On top of that, those with The Witcher 2/2.0 have to download a 10GB patch to play TW2:EE.

It's not the size of the patch but the entire game.

Althea
05-04-2012, 07:47 PM
It's not the size of the patch but the entire game.
No, that's the size of the patch.

db1331
05-04-2012, 08:40 PM
3. Apparently the 360 version of TW2 looks as good as the PC version. No. It's not. Shut up.

This drives me FUCKING CRAZY. It looks nowhere near as good as the PC version. And if I can tell that by looking at a tiny screenshot, I'm sure the differences will be much more glaring when blown up on a big screen and probably running at 30fps or lower (I'm assuming they capped it and am too lazy to do the research). I'm not saying it will be unplayable on 360. It will no doubt be the best looking title on the system. But stop saying it looks identical or even close to the PC version. IT DOESN'T. This is like when they ported Crysis and they said "Remastered lighting" instead of "We had to remove HDR."

Drinking with Skeletons
05-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Is the 360 capable of being visually impressive, even by console standards? I've got a PS3, and a few of their exclusive titles are just amazing looking. God of War III is far better visually than any 360 game that I'm aware of, and it's the only console game I've played that compares to TW2 (played the Crysis demo, but that's almost a category unto itself). Not trying to hype the PS3 or anything--and God knows there aren't that many titles that hit that level of polish--but it raises the question of whether the 360 has anything going for it beyond install base.

random_guy
05-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Is the 360 capable of being visually impressive, even by console standards? I've got a PS3, and a few of their exclusive titles are just amazing looking. God of War III is far better visually than any 360 game that I'm aware of, and it's the only console game I've played that compares to TW2 (played the Crysis demo, but that's almost a category unto itself). Not trying to hype the PS3 or anything--and God knows there aren't that many titles that hit that level of polish--but it raises the question of whether the 360 has anything going for it beyond install base.

I thought the 360 usually slightly wins out on the PS3 in visual comparisons of multiplatform titles? I know the PS3's technically more capable, but from what I understand it's harder to program for efficiently. That said there are better looking games on the PS3, and it's all academic compared to the PC.

Smashbox
05-04-2012, 08:49 PM
the question of whether the 360 has anything going for it beyond install base.

A consistently-degrading user experience (in both senses)?

db1331
05-04-2012, 08:56 PM
I've never been impressed by anything on the 360. I own a PS3 as well. I really like it, but I would never get a game for it that I could instead get on PC. I have it for things like RDR and Demon's Souls/Dark Souls. Being a lifelong PC gamer, when most PS3 players talk about a title having "SICK GRAPHIX BRO" I am usually unimpressed, as I've been playing games with better graphics on PC for years. The only games on PS3 that have actually made me stop and look at the scenery would be the Uncharted games, and very rarely Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. However, I think when I stop to admire the visuals, it's less "This looks really good" and more "This looks really good-for a console."

Drinking with Skeletons
05-04-2012, 09:05 PM
I've never been impressed by anything on the 360. I own a PS3 as well. I really like it, but I would never get a game for it that I could instead get on PC. I have it for things like RDR and Demon's Souls/Dark Souls. Being a lifelong PC gamer, when most PS3 players talk about a title having "SICK GRAPHIX BRO" I am usually unimpressed, as I've been playing games with better graphics on PC for years. The only games on PS3 that have actually made me stop and look at the scenery would be the Uncharted games, and very rarely Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. However, I think when I stop to admire the visuals, it's less "This looks really good" and more "This looks really good-for a console."

Honestly, I was inordinately impressed with God of War III. It's genuinely stunning. You could write off a lot of it's strengths (no load times, consistent framerate, amazing graphics, etc.) as being due to it's relative linearity and very controlled perspectives, but I've played plenty of games that look and run far worse without doing anything more. And it seems to have some degree of Anti-Aliasing, which makes it all the more impressive--and unusual--for a console title.

It's just a lesson that, give a developer enough time and money and remove worrying about different hardware requirements and you'll get a better product.

SirKicksalot
05-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Console games often have a couple of graphical elements that stand out. Like the water in Resistance 2.

db1331
05-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Honestly, I was inordinately impressed with God of War III. It's genuinely stunning. You could write off a lot of it's strengths (no load times, consistent framerate, amazing graphics, etc.) as being due to it's relative linearity and very controlled perspectives, but I've played plenty of games that look and run far worse without doing anything more. And it seems to have some degree of Anti-Aliasing, which makes it all the more impressive--and unusual--for a console title.

It's just a lesson that, give a developer enough time and money and remove worrying about different hardware requirements and you'll get a better product.

See I haven't gotten around to playing any of the God of War games yet, so I could very well be impressed by III also. They are close on my list of things to play, though. I agree that there are certain developers that seem to find a way to squeeze out JUST that much more from the system than the others, and it does show. Devs like Naughty Dog and From Software, although the latter clearly makes sacrifices to the frame rate to power their pretties.

Althea
05-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Judging by what I saw on the stream, it looks... brighter. It looks like a lot of the shadow effects have been nullified, but it still looked as though it had some of the "problems" of the PC version, like weird shadow outline thingies around people. It's hard to explain what I mean by that.

It just didn't look as atmospheric. Impressive, certainly, but I think the PC version wins out.

db1331
05-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Exactly. No atmosphere. The forest outside of Flotsam in Chapter 1 is one of the most amazing environments I've ever played through. The way the mist hangs on the ground, the sunlight filters through the branches, and the leaves tumble slowly to the ground. I mean it feels like you are walking through a damn forest.

Drinking with Skeletons
05-04-2012, 09:34 PM
See I haven't gotten around to playing any of the God of War games yet, so I could very well be impressed by III also. They are close on my list of things to play, though. I agree that there are certain developers that seem to find a way to squeeze out JUST that much more from the system than the others, and it does show. Devs like Naughty Dog and From Software, although the latter clearly makes sacrifices to the frame rate to power their pretties.

I highly recommend the God of War Collection (at least the first one; haven't played the PSP ports yet). It proves another rule: decent textures, some anti-aliasing, v-sync, and consistent (and high) framerates are all it takes to make a technically great game. PS2 ports should not manage to impress in this day and age, but there you are.

db1331
05-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Speaking of PS2 ports, I forgot to mention that the Shadow of the Colossus remake was also quite gorgeous.

Drinking with Skeletons
05-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Speaking of PS2 ports, I forgot to mention that the Shadow of the Colossus remake was also quite gorgeous.

The one thing it fails at is the overworld. When it was released, it was austere. Now that we've had so many open-world games, it looks kind of unfinished. The high level of detail on the Colossi makes it stand out even more.

Shane
06-04-2012, 04:20 AM
They're selling the same game, are they not? They're using the so-called Free Update to jack the price up, at least in terms of retail editions. That's a bit of a dick move. You pay more money for a cheaper game with free stuff and less physical content in the box than the initial edition.

How is this any different from GOTY editions that companies like Bethesda release after an year of release? The only difference being that CDPR didn't charge people owning the game anything for the DLC.

Althea
06-04-2012, 09:01 AM
How is this any different from GOTY editions that companies like Bethesda release after an year of release? The only difference being that CDPR didn't charge people owning the game anything for the DLC.
Because Bethesda charge you the original price (or less) for the base game plus paid content.

CDProjekt are charging the original price for the base game plus free updates plus less physical stuff in the box.

Lukasz
06-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Because Bethesda charge you the original price (or less) for the base game plus paid content.

CDProjekt are charging the original price for the base game plus free updates plus less physical stuff in the box.
so? it is is still so much better than anything else anyone is doing.

are you seriously expecting them to top each release with more stuff than previous one? That's just silly. The standard edition is still way more packed than most if not all Collector Edition (not counting those 200 dollars limited editions)

the game has to cost full price as it is a brand new release on xbox. you can't have a price difference between those two.

im sorry for being rude but you guys sound like spoiled brats. Daddy didn't get you as big present as last year so you whine even tough it is a fucking quad bike.

edit: one thing i just noticed in your argument. If they didn't charge us for the free stuff we got then it would be okay for CDPR to release the game. That's crap argument.

xbox version really shows how outdated the system really is. we need next gen but it is still 1.5 years from now and more before devs learn how to use new hardware.

Althea
06-04-2012, 02:39 PM
so? it is is still so much better than anything else anyone is doing.
Um... no? It's not? Supporting a game a year after release isn't unheard of, in fact, it seems increasingly common.

are you seriously expecting them to top each release with more stuff than previous one? That's just silly. The standard edition is still way more packed than most if not all Collector Edition (not counting those 200 dollars limited editions)
No, I'm not expecting that. I've never said that. What I'm saying, if you care to read my posts, is they are charging a higher price for less. The updates and so forth do not count because they are free. They do not factor into this discussion at all. They are charging full price for a new edition which comes with less content. When The Witcher had its final Enhanced Edition release here, I believe the price dropped from £30 for the initial EE to £20 for the slimmer edition.

Do you not think it's a little bit stupid that they're charging full price for less? It's effectively a price hike, because you can currently buy the game for £25 from them directly or there's plenty of places selling it for even less.

the game has to cost full price as it is a brand new release on xbox. you can't have a price difference between those two.
It does not have to cost full price. At all. Ever. The whole "but PC costs less!" thing is ridiculous, because they're two different markets. I would say it's actually making them look worse, what with The Witcher 2.0 being readily available from a number of UK suppliers for £13-20.

im sorry for being rude but you guys sound like spoiled brats. Daddy didn't get you as big present as last year so you whine even tough it is a fucking quad bike.

edit: one thing i just noticed in your argument. If they didn't charge us for the free stuff we got then it would be okay for CDPR to release the game. That's crap argument.
Who the frak said that? What I've said is with, for example, Fallout: New Vegas UE, you get a game that released for £30 with £30 of story-based DLC and another ~£5 of gear-based DLC. That's £65 (£50 if you use the current Steam price of £15 for NV) of content for... £30 and under. That's a good deal, is it not?

The Witcher 2 EE is £30 for £25 of content, using the price on the GOG site and the price of the retail editions of the EE. How - I ask - does that make sense?

Lukasz
06-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Um... no? It's not? Supporting a game a year after release isn't unheard of, in fact, it seems increasingly common.
no.
i mean price for content. we didn't just get patches in past year did we. there were other expansions. plus physical content is so much bigger than any other game is it. games do come just with dvds these days. so what TW2 is doing is so much better than anything else so it is good even tough it is not as rich as original PC release.

No, I'm not expecting that. I've never said that. What I'm saying, if you care to read my posts, is they are charging a higher price for less. The updates and so forth do not count because they are free. They do not factor into this discussion at all. They are charging full price for a new edition which comes with less content. When The Witcher had its final Enhanced Edition release here, I believe the price dropped from £30 for the initial EE to £20 for the slimmer edition.
yet that release is better than anything else. You expect more. For them to charge full price you need heavens for the game. I am telling you why they charge the same and your complaint comes from self-entitlement. It is not relevant what they charged before. it is relevant whether it is worth. judging the quality of the game, what comes in a package yes it is.

Do you not think it's a little bit stupid that they're charging full price for less? It's effectively a price hike, because you can currently buy the game for £25 from them directly or there's plenty of places selling it for even less.
then go ahead. buy that version. i do not find it stupid btw. explained it above.

It does not have to cost full price. At all. Ever. The whole "but PC costs less!" thing is ridiculous, because they're two different markets. I would say it's actually making them look worse, what with The Witcher 2.0 being readily available from a number of UK suppliers for £13-20.
what markets? they are on the same market. gaming. people who own xbox own pc. they can run modern games. What are you thinking> that people who have consoles cannot run TW2? so they will buy Xbox version.
CDPR is trying to target the console sales. They will pour money in that direction. and you want customers to go buy cheaper version on PC then? that's stupid.

Who the frak said that? What I've said is with, for example, Fallout: New Vegas UE, you get a game that released for £30 with £30 of story-based DLC and another ~£5 of gear-based DLC. That's £65 (£50 if you use the current Steam price of £15 for NV) of content for... £30 and under. That's a good deal, is it not?

The Witcher 2 EE is £30 for £25 of content, using the price on the GOG site and the price of the retail editions of the EE. How - I ask - does that make sense?
because you are looking at this wrong. if everything CDPR did was paid content then your whole argument falls. by your admission. just because it is free you claim it is a shit deal.

there is a huge huge flaw here madam. Your whole argument would be invalid if we customers who bought the game on release were charged for extra crap CDPR did. that would be a okay/great deal then.

or another flaw

it would be better if they just pulled out all retail TW2. no release no complaint right>

deano2099
06-04-2012, 03:28 PM
All the additional stuff still adds value, even if it's given away free. There's more stuff in the game now than there was at launch, so why wouldn't it be more expensive? Isn't charging the same amount for a bigger, better game also silly?

Games getting cheaper over their life-span while having more content added may well have a lot of precedents in the games market, but it's still daft.

Unaco
06-04-2012, 03:46 PM
CDProjekt Red and GOG are awesome for what they're doing here with TW2.

Shane
06-04-2012, 03:57 PM
@Althea Fallout 3 GOTY was priced at 50 euros.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/fallout-3-goty-dated-for-mid-october

And I agree with deano2099, EE definitely more stuff, all which was added after the release of the vanilla game.

Althea
06-04-2012, 04:15 PM
no.
i mean price for content. we didn't just get patches in past year did we. there were other expansions. plus physical content is so much bigger than any other game is it. games do come just with dvds these days. so what TW2 is doing is so much better than anything else so it is good even tough it is not as rich as original PC release.
Where are these "just DVD" games? Ohhhhh, they're the ones Valve are putting out. A good majority of games I've bought physical editions of have manuals included, and not just the shitty ones. CDProjekt add a guide, a decent manual, a map and a soundtrack - yes, that's more than most, but you seem to have got it into your head that I've said they don't.

yet that release is better than anything else. You expect more. For them to charge full price you need heavens for the game. I am telling you why they charge the same and your complaint comes from self-entitlement. It is not relevant what they charged before. it is relevant whether it is worth. judging the quality of the game, what comes in a package yes it is.
Oh gods, you threw the e word in there. I'm not entitled to anything. I find it absolutely ridiculous that this edition - which comes with less - is more expensive. That's not entitlement at all. When The Witcher EE released, it was the same price as the original game, but it justified its price point by coming with more. I'm not talking about the updates, I'm talking about the physical stuff. It came with a guide, a manual, a short story (removed in the slimline version), two soundtracks and a few more things. That justified the readjustment of the price.

The quality of the game is also irrelevant, at least with this discussion.

then go ahead. buy that version. i do not find it stupid btw. explained it above.
I
Already
Have
It

what markets? they are on the same market. gaming. people who own xbox own pc. they can run modern games. What are you thinking> that people who have consoles cannot run TW2? so they will buy Xbox version.
CDPR is trying to target the console sales. They will pour money in that direction. and you want customers to go buy cheaper version on PC then? that's stupid.
Um... what? No, I've not said that. The PC market is not the Xbox market. Have you noticed how different genres perform differently on each platform? We expect different things to the console users. And no, people who own 360s don't necessarily own PCs, or consider it a platform for gaming, ergo... it's irrelevant.

because you are looking at this wrong. if everything CDPR did was paid content then your whole argument falls. by your admission. just because it is free you claim it is a shit deal.
Why does my argument fall? If they were bundling the paid content with a game and charging a higher price (or a price similar to the original release), how does my argument fall apart? It doesn't!

there is a huge huge flaw here madam. Your whole argument would be invalid if we customers who bought the game on release were charged for extra crap CDPR did. that would be a okay/great deal then.
Don't "madame" me. My argument would be invalid, yes, but why? Think why. It would be invalid because CDProjekt would be charging the same (or more) for more. That makes sense. What they are doing is charging more for less if you buy a retail edition relative to the original and 2.0 editions.

it would be better if they just pulled out all retail TW2. no release no complaint right>
You honestly think I want to cripple CDProjekt's sales?

@Althea Fallout 3 GOTY was priced at 50 euros.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/fallout-3-goty-dated-for-mid-october

And I agree with deano2099, EE definitely more stuff, all which was added after the release of the vanilla game.
FO3 GotY, then. How much were the DLC packs? Still, that's practically half of the price of if you bought everything brand new when released (£30 game + 5 x £5(6? 7?)), which is a good deal.

As for the EE. Yes, it's more stuff, but it's more free stuff which brings a higher retail price. That makes absolutely no frakking sense.

Kadayi
06-04-2012, 04:22 PM
I hope the enhanced edition sorts out the problems with the 2.1 patch. Game crashes whenever I try and launch it at present.

Althea
06-04-2012, 04:23 PM
I hope the enhanced edition sorts out the problems with the 2.1 patch. Game crashes whenever I try and launch it at present.
I'm surprised they didn't address that when it came up.

MONTHS AGO.

deano2099
06-04-2012, 04:25 PM
But they are charging more for more, because there's more game in the box.

Now, the extra game is available to anyone for free as patches but if you bought Witcher 2 at launch, you didn't know that. Indeed, had it flopped, you wouldn't have got any extra stuff. The fact that the new box comes with all this extra stuff guaranteed makes it worth more than the original box at launch, which only came with the possibility of extra things.

It's further complicated by the fact that retailers are now selling the original box for cheap as they likely don't know that the original and new editions are only separated by a patch. So they want to shift 'old' stock. Any retailer that knows that they're doing should be putting the price of the original box back up and noting that it can be upgraded to the new edition for free. But most aren't aware of this as it's still a fairly niche title and it goes against the regular grain in gaming of always charging for major updates.

Shane
06-04-2012, 04:32 PM
As for the EE. Yes, it's more stuff, but it's more free stuff which brings a higher retail price. That makes absolutely no frakking sense.

So you're saying it would have been alright for CDPR to charge more for the EE if they hadn't given out all that DLC for free? I really don't get it.

Althea
06-04-2012, 04:33 PM
If you bought The Witcher 2 at launch and didn't expect an enhanced edition, I'm puzzled as to... why you would not expect that? It's certainly making me think twice about buying any CDProjekt releases on release day in future.

I don't think it's necessarily a case of "worth more", how much value can "free" add? The only value I see in it for the majority of users is that it doesn't mean you have to download a ridiculously huge patch before playing.

But... when has a company ever charged for a major update? I've certainly seen features added in expansions or DLC that should perhaps have been patched it, but for bug fixes et al? Never really seen them been charged for.

So you're saying it would have been alright for CDPR to charge more for the EE if they hadn't given out all that DLC for free? I really don't get it.
Well... what DLC are we talking here? The pre-order stuff? The DLC that came 'free' with the game (Troll Trouble)? The 2.0 Update? Not really anything worth charging for, is there? I'm saying that if CDP had released paid-for DLC of some value, it would be okay for them to jack the price up as you would be getting a better deal, or if - more realistically - they'd kept the contents of the box to the same level as The Witcher 2's initial release.

But they haven't. When The Witcher 2.0 came out, it was greeted with price cuts, a cheaper retail edition (that contained less content than the original TW2 release) and so on. That was good, in my opinion. You got less in the box, ergo you should pay less. Instead, with TW2 EE, you get the same content in the box as TW2.0, the EE patch and all previous patches (as you did in 2.0 with the 2.0 patch and all previous ones), but you have to pay more if you want it.

To me, personally, that makes absolutely no sense.

Kadayi
06-04-2012, 04:47 PM
I'm surprised they didn't address that when it came up.

MONTHS AGO.

TBH I wasn't even aware of the problem. I hadn't fired up the game since before Christmas. I have pondered whether to reinstall, but as the update preload is starting in a week or so I figure I might as well wait to see if that fixes the issue.

deano2099
06-04-2012, 04:50 PM
If you bought The Witcher 2 at launch and didn't expect an enhanced edition, I'm puzzled as to... why you would not expect that? It's certainly making me think twice about buying any CDProjekt releases on release day in future.

If the game had flopped, there definitely wouldn't have been an enhanced edition.

Interestingly, the whole thing actually leads me to a different conclusion than you though. I won't think twice about buying a CDProjeckt game on release in the future because, as you demonstrate, it's better value than waiting for the EE!

Althea
06-04-2012, 05:05 PM
If the game had flopped, there definitely wouldn't have been an enhanced edition.
If the game had flopped, I would have been surprised. Massively so. I don't think a flop was ever really possible, but what did surprise me (perhaps not in a good way) were two overhauls of the game.

Lukasz
06-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Where are these "just DVD" games? Ohhhhh, they're the ones Valve are putting out. A good majority of games I've bought physical editions of have manuals included, and not just the shitty ones. CDProjekt add a guide, a decent manual, a map and a soundtrack - yes, that's more than most, but you seem to have got it into your head that I've said they don't.
bioshock was just dvd. Alpha Protocol a game i loved was just dvd and shitty manual.
but you are complaining about how CDPR is dicks while they game release is so much better than majority of stuff out there.

Oh gods, you threw the e word in there. I'm not entitled to anything. I find it absolutely ridiculous that this edition - which comes with less - is more expensive. That's not entitlement at all. When The Witcher EE released, it was the same price as the original game, but it justified its price point by coming with more. I'm not talking about the updates, I'm talking about the physical stuff. It came with a guide, a manual, a short story (removed in the slimline version), two soundtracks and a few more things. That justified the readjustment of the price.
It is STILL more than everything else on the market. so unless you don't buy anything else on the market because it is so much shittier then why are you complaining? you can't expect CDPR to always top their previous releases. that is stupid and impossible.

The quality of the game is also irrelevant, at least with this discussion.

Yes. it is always relevant. Is the game worth the price. that is the issue. if cdpr adds a golden dildo of fleshlight or whether it is empty box with a link to piratebay... the issue is whether it is worth the price. you brought the issue of the price. which is tied to the quality of the game.

I
Already
Have
It
i was speaking more "you" as in general. if somebody finds this version worse they can buy older one. and if there is no more older one it is better than for this to exists than nothing at all.

Um... what? No, I've not said that. The PC market is not the Xbox market. Have you noticed how different genres perform differently on each platform? We expect different things to the console users. And no, people who own 360s don't necessarily own PCs, or consider it a platform for gaming, ergo... it's irrelevant.
I am strict PC player... but i am minority. we are minority. Most players who would play something like TW2 own PCs. They use a variety of systems to play. that's why your argument is not valid. the markets eat each another. Ads will target xbox platform, game will be visible to those console players. and then they see that the game is fifty percent cheaper on pc?
they would either buy it on pc which CDPR does not want to happen
or
they will call it unfair. and we all know how passionate the internet can be about what is fair or not.

Why does my argument fall? If they were bundling the paid content with a game and charging a higher price (or a price similar to the original release), how does my argument fall apart? It doesn't!
YES. it does.
your argument is that it would be fair if our situation was worse. that is illogical from customer stand point of view. You are saying they are dicks but if they were dicks by making us pay for DLC then this move would not make them dicks.

Don't "madame" me. My argument would be invalid, yes, but why? Think why. It would be invalid because CDProjekt would be charging the same (or more) for more. That makes sense. What they are doing is charging more for less if you buy a retail edition relative to the original and 2.0 editions.
genuine question: what's wrong with madame? you seem to take offence to that which was not my intention. and point i explained above. your argument demands worse situation to make current situation fair.

Unaco
06-04-2012, 05:12 PM
but what did surprise me (perhaps not in a good way) were two overhauls of the game.

You just said that you would be surprised if anyone bought the game at launch and didn't expect an Enhanced Edition... Now you say that you were surprised by the overhauls (leading to the Enhanced Edition)? So, you believe we shouldn't have been surprised by the overhauls, but you were surprised by the overhauls.

Althea
06-04-2012, 05:27 PM
bioshock was just dvd. Alpha Protocol a game i loved was just dvd and shitty manual.
but you are complaining about how CDPR is dicks while they game release is so much better than majority of stuff out there.
CDProjekt are not and will not ever be immune from criticism, just like a certain company called Valve. Putting more items in a box does not absolve them of any negative opinions at all.

Alpha Protocol, judging by the copy on my shelf, had a fairly average manual, i.e. it gave a moderate overview of the game and its features. In depth? No, but hardly a "shitty manual".

It is STILL more than everything else on the market. so unless you don't buy anything else on the market because it is so much shittier then why are you complaining? you can't expect CDPR to always top their previous releases. that is stupid and impossible.
So frakking what if it's more than everything else? I'm not comparing it to Alpha Protocol or anything else. I'm comparing the different editions of the game. And I've never stated they should top the previous edition, have I? I have said they should distribute it with equal content for an equal price, or if they're distributing less then the price should reflect that.

Yes. it is always relevant. Is the game worth the price. that is the issue. if cdpr adds a golden dildo of fleshlight or whether it is empty box with a link to piratebay... the issue is whether it is worth the price. you brought the issue of the price. which is tied to the quality of the game.
No, it is not relevant because we are comparing editions of a single game. We are not debating its quality or lack thereof, we are discussing the contents and the pricing of those editions, and pricing has absolutely no meaning in terms of the quality of a game.

i was speaking more "you" as in general. if somebody finds this version worse they can buy older one. and if there is no more older one it is better than for this to exists than nothing at all.
You seem to have not realised that a new edition puts the old one out of print, hence why there's no "old" ones for sale (bar a few stores which still stock them), so it's not really much of a compromise, is it? "Oh, you want the old edition with all the crap? Sorry, we have none, but you can have the new edition with less stuff for the same price!"

I am strict PC player... but i am minority. we are minority. Most players who would play something like TW2 own PCs. They use a variety of systems to play. that's why your argument is not valid. the markets eat other. Ads will target xbox platform, game will be visible to those console players. and then they see that the game is fifty percent cheaper on pc?
they would either buy it on pc which CDPR does not want to happen
or
they will call it unfair. and we all know how passionate the internet can be about what is fair or not.
Why wouldn't CDP want console gamers to buy it on PC? For all we know, they get a higher cut from it, especially when you consider licensing fees and so on, not to mention the restrictions Microsoft will put on CDP with regards to content and patches.

Most players who would play something like TW2, as far as I can tell, would use the PC to do so. The fact that they've sold at least three million copies of either Witcher game (2m TW1, 1m TW2, last I heard) suggests the PC market is still strong and that people are prepared to buy it on the PC. Your point about owning PCs? Most "gamers" own PCs, whether they're console, handheld or PC. A PC is like a microwave or a TV, it's something many people have in their house for a reason.

YES. it does.
your argument is that it would be fair if our situation was worse. that is illogical from customer stand point of view. You are saying they are dicks but if they were dicks by making us pay for DLC then this move would not make them dicks.
Oh for fuck's sake, have I said they were dicks in the last few posts? Have I? I've certainly implied their business practice with TW2 EE makes absolutely no logical sense relative to the other editions of the game.

My argument is that if CDProjekt are selling an edition of a game with less physical content and FREE updates, then the price should be lower to reflect the lack of physical content. My argument is not "our situation could be worse!" or anything ridiculous like that. My argument is simply that a release of a game with less content than a previous edition should cost less.

genuine question: what's wrong with madame? you seem to take offence to that which was not my intention. and point i explained above. your argument demands worse situation to make current situation fair.
"Madame" is patronising in the context of a discussion.

Althea
06-04-2012, 05:28 PM
You just said that you would be surprised if anyone bought the game at launch and didn't expect an Enhanced Edition... Now you say that you were surprised by the overhauls (leading to the Enhanced Edition)? So, you believe we shouldn't have been surprised by the overhauls, but you were surprised by the overhauls.
No. I was not surprised the first time they announced a overhaul, i.e. 2.0. I expected it to happen, and I'm sure most people did considering the feedback to TW2 and what happened with TW1.

I was surprised by the second overhaul, i.e. the Enhanced Edition, which I did not expect to happen.

Lukasz
06-04-2012, 05:53 PM
CDProjekt are not and will not ever be immune from criticism, just like a certain company called Valve. Putting more items in a box does not absolve them of any negative opinions at all.
of course you are right. but that negative opinion can be challenged.

Alpha Protocol, judging by the copy on my shelf, had a fairly average manual, i.e. it gave a moderate overview of the game and its features. In depth? No, but hardly a "shitty manual".
and that is shitty manual. not one page bioshock thingy but shitty nevertheless.

So frakking what if it's more than everything else? I'm not comparing it to Alpha Protocol or anything else. I'm comparing the different editions of the game. And I've never stated they should top the previous edition, have I? I have said they should distribute it with equal content for an equal price, or if they're distributing less then the price should reflect that.
and I am calling bs on that. it is not the same game. it is patched, improved, expanded. and your argument is that because it was free it doesn't matter.
bs.
It is not the same game. it is better than the game on release.

No, it is not relevant because we are comparing editions of a single game. We are not debating its quality or lack thereof, we are discussing the contents and the pricing of those editions, and pricing has absolutely no meaning in terms of the quality of a game.
but since it is better than rest of the market. how can you buy other games then? the ones which just give you 32 pages of manual. If you complain about this action of CDPR as a it being a dickish move, then what do everyone else do?

You seem to have not realised that a new edition puts the old one out of print, hence why there's no "old" ones for sale (bar a few stores which still stock them), so it's not really much of a compromise, is it? "Oh, you want the old edition with all the crap? Sorry, we have none, but you can have the new edition with less stuff for the same price!"
True. games do go out of print all the time tough. so if you didn't buy the better version then you are out of luck.

Why wouldn't CDP want console gamers to buy it on PC? For all we know, they get a higher cut from it, especially when you consider licensing fees and so on, not to mention the restrictions Microsoft will put on CDP with regards to content and patches.
market presence. they want target what you called console players. people who don't want to play on pc. that market is bigger (see ME3 sales) so TW3 and "New Project CDPR is working on" has greater chance of success and can pull off ME sales. That's why they cant allow PC market to eat Xbox market by having two same games priced so differently. Because a)people will buy PC version of the game instead of Xbox b)they will be pissed.

Most players who would play something like TW2, as far as I can tell, would use the PC to do so. The fact that they've sold at least three million copies of either Witcher game (2m TW1, 1m TW2, last I heard) suggests the PC market is still strong and that people are prepared to buy it on the PC. Your point about owning PCs? Most "gamers" own PCs, whether they're console, handheld or PC. A PC is like a microwave or a TV, it's something many people have in their house for a reason.
ME3 sold so much more on consoles than on PC. Even tough a budget pc can run it.

Oh for fuck's sake, have I said they were dicks in the last few posts? Have I? I've certainly implied their business practice with TW2 EE makes absolutely no logical sense relative to the other editions of the game.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?2827-Witcher-2-Enhanced-coming-up-in-spring&p=107075&viewfull=1#post107075

and i already said why they do that. and why it is not such a shitty thing to do.

My argument is that if CDProjekt are selling an edition of a game with less physical content and FREE updates, then the price should be lower to reflect the lack of physical content. My argument is not "our situation could be worse!" or anything ridiculous like that. My argument is simply that a release of a game with less content than a previous edition should cost less.
but what about the cost of playing unpatched game, the cost of not having those updates.... this edition should be actually more expensive because new players will get the better deal than players who paid the same amount of money 1 year ago.

silly reasoning. what you are doing. to make the whole situation fair you have to create worse starting situation. "it would be aright if we paid for everything but since we got it for free new edition should be cheaper"

The only question is whether the game is worth the price. don't look whether those updates were free, whether the game was sold for cheaper and with more crap...
the only thing which matters is now. past is irrelevant.
Is the game worth the full price?

"Madame" is patronising in the context of a discussion.
better than bitch?

(So so sorry. just too tempting not to do this ;) )

Althea
06-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Well, considering you're resulting to personal attacks, I'm not even going to bother.

You've put words in my mouth, given them meanings only you've seen and you've frequently told me what I'm saying rather than actually responding to what I'm saying.

So I'm out.

Unaco
11-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Pre-Load is up for the EE. It is just under 12GB, so makes sense to stretch that server load out over the next few days (rather than have everyone trying to download it all on the 17th itself). You can get it from...

http://en.thewitcher.com/enhancededition/

Also, there was a preview of a new (in Engine) cinematic a week or so ago. Looks like the full thing has been released. Is 6 minutes of RED Engine, featuring a little stand-alone story (no spoilers apparently).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMc1ySC6Qao