PDA

View Full Version : Wizard's Crown

kinglog
27-01-2012, 05:01 AM
I've been playing a lot of Roadwar 2000 lately - it's reminded me that I always meant to check out Wizard's Crown. Does anyone have any opinion on the game? I don't see it on GOG or steam - is it even possible to purchase a download? I suppose I'm really wondering if the combat is a good synthesis of RW2K and AD&D gold box or just a precursor to gold box.

Many thanks!

Wizardry
27-01-2012, 05:32 AM
I've been playing a lot of Roadwar 2000 lately - it's reminded me that I always meant to check out Wizard's Crown. Does anyone have any opinion on the game? I don't see it on GOG or steam - is it even possible to purchase a download? I suppose I'm really wondering if the combat is a good synthesis of RW2K and AD&D gold box or just a precursor to gold box.

Many thanks!
It's not much like Roadwar 2000 apart from the graphics on the C64 versions. It's very much like the Gold Box games but without the first person exploration. It has very similar rules to D&D, having its own tables and stuff in the manual (which itself reads like a section of the player's handbook). Having said that, the combat is even more detailed than in the Gold Box games. There's a whole lot more to positioning your characters. Direction matters. Also, different weapon types have vastly different effects in combat. As a result of all this extra detail combat is a lot slower, which is probably the reason why it isn't talked about much today.

It has a sequel called Eternal Dagger, released in 1987, which is mentioned even less. In many ways it's a lot better than Wizard's Crown. Redundant skills are made useful, there are a whole lot more weapon types, and general exploration is made less tedious. One problem with Eternal Dagger is that it was only ever released for the Apple II, C64 and Amiga 8-bit. Unlike its prequel it was never released for DOS or the Atari ST (the best looking version).

I still suspect you are trolling me, but whatever.

kinglog
27-01-2012, 05:36 AM
Thanks - not trolling, I figured waiting for a reply would be faster than finding the game, making characters, and figuring out the combat enough to determine if it was worth proceeding further. I still don't really have any idea. I've read that it's mostly combat - is there enough variety/strategy to make that work?

Wizardry
27-01-2012, 05:43 AM
Thanks - not trolling, I figured waiting for a reply would be faster than finding the game, making characters, and figuring out the combat enough to determine if it was worth proceeding further. I still don't really have any idea. I've read that it's mostly combat - is there enough variety/strategy to make that work?
Definitely. But be prepared for some 20+ minute battles. It's a good game with a really good combat system. The interface is quite clunky, which is a problem if you are used to more modern games. It's also brutally difficult at the start. When you start picking up decent equipment and improving your skills you'll have a more comfortable time. The levelling system works by spending experience directly on skills and attributes. You can also purchase new classes and new skills using your intelligence points. This means you can multi-class as many ways as you can afford.

Here are the manuals:
http://www.scribd.com/remow/d/30482667-Wizard-s-Crown
http://www.scribd.com/remow/d/30485676-Eternal-Dagger

Check out page 17 and onwards in the Wizard's Crown manual for details on the combat system. You'll see the details present in the game, including a diagram showing that shields only protect a character from the front and from their shield arm side only.

kinglog
27-01-2012, 06:48 AM
Everyone is killed, the adventure is over for these brave warriors.

Thanks for the links - I ran into some questions my .txt couldn't answer. Definitely worth more time - I've been meaning to give this a try for 26 years!

Wizardry
27-01-2012, 07:02 AM
Everyone is killed, the adventure is over for these brave warriors.

Thanks for the links - I ran into some questions my .txt couldn't answer. Definitely worth more time - I've been meaning to give this a try for 26 years!
What version are you playing? The Atari ST version looks by far the best as it came out a lot later than the others. The DOS version is okay, but it's all yellow on black. The C64 version is pretty good, and so is the Atari 8-bit version. The Apple II version looks dreadful as usual.

kinglog
27-01-2012, 07:05 AM
DOS at this point, I may get a C64 version to play on my phone (this recently resurfaced in my mind as I played RW while getting some tires replaced). I may check out the ST but I'd feel bad emulating something I don't own. It's not like I'm playing a game from 1986 for the gfx ;)

Wizardry
27-01-2012, 05:32 PM
DOS at this point, I may get a C64 version to play on my phone (this recently resurfaced in my mind as I played RW while getting some tires replaced). I may check out the ST but I'd feel bad emulating something I don't own. It's not like I'm playing a game from 1986 for the gfx ;)
That's true, but the colours help a lot in distinguishing the different characters on the screen. Especially when you are fighting humans.

DOS:
http://i39.tinypic.com/jz6s7t.gif

Atari ST
http://i43.tinypic.com/t8xb2q.png