PDA

View Full Version : Things I hate about NFS The Run

Nalano
27-01-2012, 08:56 PM
I should not have to wait thirty seconds to restart the race every single time I crash. I should especially not have to sit through the epilepsy-inducing quick-cuts you people keep confusing for extreme post-production.
If you're going to make me wait thirty seconds to start the race, allow me to press a button to start the race. Don't start the race without me, for fuck's sake.
I'm a rally driver in a turbocharged exotic. They're mooks in SUVs. How are they overtaking me on the freeway?
Hey cops, there are other racers on the road, too! Why don't you pay attention to them?
Speaking of cops, can I have that cop car? Y'know, the Nissan GTR that can go from 0 to 250mph in 3 seconds? I want that.
I know every arcade racer must have some form of rubber-banding, but when it feels like it doesn't matter if I'm driving a McLaren F1 and my opponent's in a Honda Civic that just had a head-on with a Peterbilt, I'm wondering what I'm hurrying so much for.
Do NOT NOT NOT ever take the controls away from me in the game. I don't care how spectacular and cool the crash is behind me; my attention is focused ahead of me, and when I lose a race because your crappy AI took his foot off the e-pedal to show me just how cool what I'm doing is, I get the strong urge to find the lead designer's home address and punch him in the mouth.

LaunchJC
27-01-2012, 09:15 PM
I'm a rally driver in a turbocharged exotic. They're mooks in SUVs. How are they overtaking me on the freeway?

I feel your higher bhp is offset by their driver skill.

Nalano
27-01-2012, 09:27 PM
I feel your higher bhp is offset by their driver skill.

No amount of driving skill makes an Chevy Suburban go 230mph, much less when driven by a mob mook.

LaunchJC
27-01-2012, 09:49 PM
No amount of driving skill makes an Chevy Suburban go 230mph, much less when driven by a mob mook.

Obvious rubber banding really sucks, I remember the first Motorstorm (I think) had it really bad, why can't they just make them challenging enough that they don't need some ridiculous speed boost?

Can I ask, does it actually contain on foot sequences? Or is it all cutscene?

sabrage
27-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Or is it all cutscene?
Aren't they all quick-time events? That was my understanding.

Why did you buy this game, Nalano?

DigitalSignalX
28-01-2012, 12:17 AM
Wasn't there a burb on the sunday news about this, where a guy deliberately drove slow and still was "neck and neck" with the leader because of the horrid scripting / rubber banding etc.

Nalano
28-01-2012, 01:05 AM
Obvious rubber banding really sucks, I remember the first Motorstorm (I think) had it really bad, why can't they just make them challenging enough that they don't need some ridiculous speed boost?

Can I ask, does it actually contain on foot sequences? Or is it all cutscene?

Extended quick-time events.

Aren't they all quick-time events? That was my understanding.

Why did you buy this game, Nalano?

The same reason I bought GRID and DIRT and every other racing game ever: Because it's been over a year since the last racing game I bought, and I forgot how much I hate their foibles.

Wasn't there a burb on the sunday news about this, where a guy deliberately drove slow and still was "neck and neck" with the leader because of the horrid scripting / rubber banding etc.

The rubber-banding makes it so that there is absolutely no reason to know how fast you're going, nor to take much stock in things that increase your acceleration, like nitro. Why? Because if you go faster, everybody goes faster. The New York subway, in this game, ran at 150mph. For fuck's sake, the Acela (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acela_Express) wishes it could go 150mph.

The last race was the worst, tho by means the first, of this nonsense, because none of it was an actual race. I was 8 seconds ahead of the opponent at one point, because I have a habit of pushing them into oncoming trucks, and he suddenly popped up next to me so as to complete some stupid scripted event. Then, after a long interlude, I met up with him again where I was trailing by three seconds until - BAM - a scripted event six seconds before the end put us neck and neck. I was trying so hard to win, yet it was patently impossible to lose.

I think the last NFS game I liked was Porsche Unleashed. Strangely enough, I find the driving in games like Far Cry 2 and Battlefield 3 more satisfying (when people aren't shooting at you, at least)

ZIGS
28-01-2012, 01:06 AM
This is like the Call of Duty of racing games

vinraith
28-01-2012, 01:22 AM
I'm honestly curious what prompted you to buy it, because most of the stuff you list up there seemed pretty predictable from the trailers. Incurable optimist?

Nalano
28-01-2012, 02:04 AM
I'm honestly curious what prompted you to buy it, because most of the stuff you list up there seemed pretty predictable from the trailers. Incurable optimist?

A decent supply of 70s muscle cars. Also, that word you used. Like pessimist, but not.

laneford
28-01-2012, 02:12 AM
Xbox, Forza 4. Done.

Nalano
28-01-2012, 02:31 AM
Xbox

I already have a computer. I don't need to spend money on a slightly smaller, hermetically-sealed one.

Prodirus
28-01-2012, 03:43 AM
The game also really likes to send you back to the checkpoint if you so much as move an inch off the road, not to mention the fact that you can finish the game in under 4 hours.

The JG Man
28-01-2012, 03:44 AM
Whilst the remake of Hot Pursuit by Criterion still has some of the issues you mentioned, I found it to be an incredibly fun experience of arcadey goodness. In the pure racing events, there is rubber banding, but I never felt it was too extreme; unless I screwed up, if I was out in the lead it'd stay that way. The start of events does do a little intro vid, but it is skip able. When you take out a vehicle, it does a short cut-away sequence, but 99% of the time it happened it returned me back in control with no immediate obstacles in my face. I haven't seen you mention it, so no idea if you have played it.

It's not perfect, but I did find it rather excellent. Considering what it did a year before The Run, I honestly saw no point in getting it.

PeopleLikeFrank
28-01-2012, 04:10 AM
Somebody needs to make Vanishing Point into a videogame. A good one.

Snargelfargen
28-01-2012, 04:19 AM
Somebody needs to make Vanishing Point into a videogame. A good one.

If you stick to the lonelier roads and freeways, GTA San Andreas comes close. The soundtrack is off by 2 decades though.

Nalano
28-01-2012, 04:29 AM
I haven't seen you mention it, so no idea if you have played it.

I own it. It was "meh" to me.

sabrage
28-01-2012, 07:03 AM
I already have a computer. I don't need to spend money on a slightly smaller, hermetically-sealed one.
I've popped my Xbox open plenty of times. Then again, it's 7 years old so a) I had to and b) it's not like my warranty is any good.

If you're not completely burnt out on racers at this point, I highly suggest Outrun 2006. It's fast, it's fun and it has absolutely no regard for physics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDqd0lib5t4&feature=related

Nalano
28-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Looks like a modern remake of Cannonball Run. Manufacturers probably wish they could make tires that could withstand drifting for miles at a time.

Also, watching that reminds me of another beef:

What's the point of having all this lovely scenery if the screen is always so blurred that you can barely see the road you're currently zooming down?

Heliocentric
28-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Strangely enough, I find the driving in games like Far Cry 2 and Battlefield 3 more satisfying (when people aren't shooting at you, at least)
I usually do my best driving while weaving between rumbfire rockets.

You should try Arma2's armory procedural mission thing, the playing as a chicken missions were a highlight for me.

metalangel
28-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Everything you complained about was present in NFS: Hot Pursuit 2010.