PDA

View Full Version : My VR flight-sim setup with Sony HMZ-T1, TrackIR, and a HOTAS system

frenzon
29-01-2012, 12:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loRqx92CGdQ

(Delurking). I've been playing sims since I was four - Flight Simulator 1.0 is one of my earliest memories, and I've been looking to make something like this since the VR craze in the 90s, but the component parts were never quite there - usually the displays were unplayably rubbish.

Then Sony released their HMZ-T1 and all the bits suddenly fit together - the display has a high-res screen, and wide field of view compared to others I've tried, the TrackIR works well with it if you're willing to accept some turn-amount magnification (you get used to it in seconds), and flightsims now have 6DOF cockpits that work with NVidia's stereo drivers. Being able to move your head around in your cockpit with a sterescopic 3D display is the best thing I've seen on my computer in years.

The best part is that the setup is relatively cheap - the display was US$900, but everything else is super cheap.

I've heard that this setup doesn't work so well for driving games, where 'forward' is more of an important concept (and the necessary force feedback gear makes your view wiggle all over the place).

metalangel
29-01-2012, 10:47 AM
I want one! I've got nowhere to put it, doesn't matter. I'd love a helicopter setup like this one (http://www.used-helicopter.net/for-sale/helicopter-aircraft-simulator-cyclic-collective-pedals/11/).

Wondering, is it comfortable for your arms, they seem to be awfully far apart and not that supported? Is it possible to put the joystick in front of you instead of offset to the side using those brackets?

Grizzly
29-01-2012, 01:12 PM
What kind of computer do you need to get this setup to run properly?

Inverselaw
29-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Impressive Starfox,

I wonder how this would work with DCS a-10, can you look down under the screen to see your keyboard? With an X52 I dont get a fully hotas setup. I can fly the plane fine but conversation options still use the keyboard.

TimA
29-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Very nice, can I come and visit? :P

@Inverselaw
Have you tried using voice activated software (such as Shoot or VAC)? I've tried it before, using the X52 clutch button as a sort of PTT, activating the radio comms menus. With that set up and trackir, I hardly have to reach for the keyboard.

frenzon
29-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Wondering, is it comfortable for your arms, they seem to be awfully far apart and not that supported? Is it possible to put the joystick in front of you instead of offset to the side using those brackets?

I use Joyloc Clampmasters to put my sticks down and out to the side, but you can position them and sit however you would normally sit in front of a screen - before I got the Clampmasters, I used my sticks on my desk and that was fine too.

What kind of computer do you need to get this setup to run properly?

I have an i7 with a GTX-580; the stereoscopic stuff is the biggest framerate hog, but at least you're rendering at 1280x720 so it's not so bad. I'm pretty sure the faster sims (IL2-1946) would run great on much slower hardware. AngelFly FS (shown in the video) hits 250fps according to FRAPS, so I'm sure a mouldy potato could run it well.

I wonder how this would work with DCS a-10, can you look down under the screen to see your keyboard? With an X52 I dont get a fully hotas setup. I can fly the plane fine but conversation options still use the keyboard.

You can see out the bottom, so I can easily see my hands and keyboard (and I might get the iPad DCS A-10 companion). If you don't want to see out the bottom, the headset comes with rubber things you can attach to block that view, but I usually don't bother with it.