PDA

View Full Version : Simulation-ish games which progress in real time

Flobulon
30-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Evening,

I saw my little cousin playing an iOS game called DragonVale the other day, which is effectively a 'freemium' dragon-breeding/theme-park type game. What I found most interesting about it was the way that actions such as upgrading a dragon enclosure or hatching an egg occur in real time, sometimes taking as long as 24 actual hours - i.e you can open the game up a day later and it will have completed. Does anyone know of any PC games which have a similar system? I guess the only thing I can think of is MMO games like EVE in which progress doesn't stop once you log out.

Cheers

vinraith
30-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Evening,

I saw my little cousin playing an iOS game called DragonVale the other day, which is effectively a 'freemium' dragon-breeding/theme-park type game. What I found most interesting about it was the way that actions such as upgrading a dragon enclosure or hatching an egg occur in real time, sometimes taking as long as 24 actual hours - i.e you can open the game up a day later and it will have completed. Does anyone know of any PC games which have a similar system? I guess the only thing I can think of is MMO games like EVE in which progress doesn't stop once you log out.

Cheers

Every Facebook game ever?

Flobulon
30-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Haha, fair enough. I understand how it's quite manipulative as a system, but I can't help but think there's a certain appeal to having a little virtual world which lives on after you click the exit button. Like if Simcity 4 carried on without your supervision (if the cities weren't so prone to disaster and bankruptcy). I dunno, I'm just curious why it's not seen outside of Facebook games.

Cooper
30-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Try the settlers online.

The 'world goes on without you' thing tends to be tied to time-sensitive events. Which is the reason it's not seen out of microtransaction online games is that it works primarily as a spending incentive. Buy things which make things happen quicker. Buy things which mean you do not have to log in repeatedly at optimal times...

Chevy
30-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Both Neptune's Pride and Jupiter's Folly from Iron Helmet probably fit the description.

Flobulon
30-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the suggestion guys, I'll check them out. I've been quite busy/stressed recently so it'd be nice to have a little virtual zen garden to pop in on and maintain every now and then.

vinraith
30-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the suggestion guys, I'll check them out. I've been quite busy/stressed recently so it'd be nice to have a little virtual zen garden to pop in on and maintain every now and then.

Speaking of zen gardens, didn't Plants vs, Zombies have an actual zen garden that worked this way?

Trees_are_pretty_cool
30-01-2012, 10:01 PM

Dear God make sure you don't play Neptune's Pride.

CMaster
30-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Doesn't the Harvest Moon series work along similar lines?

Chevy
30-01-2012, 10:31 PM

Oh, yeah, definitely don't play the games I suggested, then. Very competitive and all consuming. Very unzen.

PeopleLikeFrank
30-01-2012, 10:39 PM
A few friends had a Lord of Ultima thing going on a while back. We all quit when it became apparent that one had to join the Borg-like mega-alliance that occupied our continent, or be crushed by it.

Heliocentric
30-01-2012, 11:03 PM
Theme hospitals medical conditions are stupid, but the actual model of treatment, facilities and staff are plausible and demanding.
Stack alongside this Evil Genius, Startopia and Dungeon Keeper who for obvious reasons might struggle to be considered simulations.
Cities in motion is a beautiful game, and while it occasionally lacks plausibility (buses that carry 10 people?) its actually a start and interesting model of running a small transit bushiness.

Tropico is the star of this show though (I suggest game #3 but others may disagree), if you fail to min-max you will be getting your political opponents fired and arrested, crushing rebellions and recovering from natural disasters by the skin of your teeth, yes you can pause it, but don't, watch the town flow and ebb. Observe the traffic and tweak the roads to ease it, look at the shacks despite your "adequate housing"" and get houses near peoples jobs that people can afford.

Oh, I found Black and White 2 utterly charming for this on my second playthough (the games newgame+'s after finishing the story) I fortified my town wall with a small gap and an undead army and archers.

Then my town grew to insane populations with dozens of sky scrapers.

Not mine, but liker this.

Cooper
30-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the suggestion guys, I'll check them out. I've been quite busy/stressed recently so it'd be nice to have a little virtual zen garden to pop in on and maintain every now and then.Then the Stellers Online would be perfect.

Be sure to use one of the economy calculators. I use http://ceo-economy.appspot.com/

That way the game becomes about finely balancing your resource production, given your limits (which is is 'building licenses' - what they haven't worked out is that, if you like finely balancing resource economies, than having a limit on the number of building you can uses adds a layer of interest, and a challenge. And so it's MORE fun to play within the constraints on a free account than it is to pay for the extra...)

The only reason to log in at regular intervals are to look for more minerals and to add farms / wells etc. It's a once a day thing.

vecordae
30-01-2012, 11:40 PM
It's not a PC game at all, but the Animal Crossing games might work. They do go by in real time and have a quiet, unhurried, and kid-friendly feel to them. I'd only bother if you already had a Gamecube or Wii and wanted to share the experience with your kids.

Heliocentric
30-01-2012, 11:45 PM
It's not a PC game at all, but the Animal Crossing games might work. They do go by in real time and have a quiet, unhurried, and kid-friendly feel to them. I'd only bother if you already had a Gamecube or Wii and wanted to share the experience with your kids.

Oh, wait... REAL real time? Damn, how did I skim read that?

Er.. No idea, all games i can think of like that are hateful.

Flobulon
31-01-2012, 12:20 AM
Oh, yeah, definitely don't play the games I suggested, then. Very competitive and all consuming. Very unzen.

Haha, no worries. I find myself to be a very uncompetitive person - I had to stop playing Starcraft II multiplayer because I felt guilty whenever I beat someone, and crushed whenever I lost. I find one-on-one competition to make me quite anxious and uncomfortable (with the exception of team-based games like TF2 or BF3).

Oh, wait... REAL real time? Damn, how did I skim read that?

Er.. No idea, all games i can think of like that are hateful.

Haha, thanks for your suggestions anyway, I'll check them out when I'm feeling a little more ambitious - I loved Theme Hospital back in t' day, and the original Black & White. It seems I have some sort of benevolent god-complex.

Cooper: I'll definitely check it out, sounds ideal - I love all that fine-tuning stuff. Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it!

I had one of the Harvest Moon games for GameCube, it was lovely from what I remember - I wish I'd kept it now.

Voon
31-01-2012, 10:32 AM

Heck, even Pokemon games are set in real time since Diamond and Pearl

Malawi Frontier Guard
31-01-2012, 10:51 AM
This is just a side note, but Two Worlds 2 has a system like that in its multiplayer mode in which you can build a little village that receives income even when you're not playing and that has to be defended from enemies in regular intervals.

It's a strange, shallow addition to the game that sounds much more exciting than it actually is.

c-Row
31-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Unlike most other MMOs, EVE also allowed you to schedule skills to improve while you were offline.

Drake Sigar
31-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Unlike most other MMOs, EVE also allowed you to schedule skills to improve while you were offline.
When I found myself logging into Eve once every couple of weeks to set skill training, I knew something had gone seriously wrong. It's one of the few video games which doesn't require actual playing.

Kelron
31-01-2012, 12:08 PM
When I found myself logging into Eve once every couple of weeks to set skill training, I knew something had gone seriously wrong. It's one of the few video games which doesn't require actual playing.

I don't understand these comments. Your objective is not to gather skillpoints. It requires as much playing as any other game, probably more than a lot of them.

Drake Sigar
31-01-2012, 01:36 PM
I don't understand these comments. Your objective is not to gather skillpoints. It requires as much playing as any other game, probably more than a lot of them.

It's not? Seems to me like growing stronger is the foundation of an MMO RPG. Gaining power/s usually requires playing the game, a lot, and the addictiveness is substantially lessoned when a player isn't required to play.

Actually, Eve's way of doing things is genius now that I think about it. Since playing isn't necessary, players will be forking over a monthly subscription fee without using the servers. Free money!

Ok now I'm just trolling. They probably shook things up a bit during my five year absence. Your comment is still stupid though, and so's your face.

Kelron
31-01-2012, 01:58 PM
I'm not going to mess up this guy's thread, if you're interested in serious discussion make a new one.

cjlr
01-02-2012, 01:22 AM
Defcon on the lowest speed setting! A few players keeping their cards close and that just might take a day or so.

jjujubird
01-02-2012, 02:24 AM
http://mightandmagicheroeskingdoms.ubi.com/us/

I used to play this. A command can take between minutes to hours (sometimes days even) to complete, nice to have up in the background while doing something else.