PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield 3 - good tactically oriented servers

vorrin
31-01-2012, 07:36 AM
Hello,

For the first time tonight at ungodly hours, I tried playing on tacticalgamer's US server (this (http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/servers/show/017f0b51-1abc-4de2-accf-1c1dfe88b3a1/TacticalGamer-com-TeamSync-VOIP-Large-Maps-Only-FF-On/)).

Ping was around 100 but the server had teamsync, and especially, people who played quite smartly in a squad, on both teams.

I am quite impressed, I don't think I played in a similar server before, usually if there's some tactic going it's mostly on one side of the team, or in random squads, whilst everybody else is mostly running around flailing their arms.

Does anyone know of some such server, maybe somewhere in Europe?

I looked up all the servers with teamsync in their name, but still they're either always empty, or somewhat more of a chatty pub server.

Bungle
31-01-2012, 10:34 AM
I didn't buy BF3 for a number of EA-related reasons so I had to look up Battlesync to see what it was. It looks like a VOIP tool that was created by the community? Which means that $60 base game with the $15 map packs didn't come with any sort of voice communication and people had to make their own work around? I sure hope I'm misunderstand this, because that seems pathetic to me. I can't believe how many people bought that game.

Grizzly
31-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Which means that $60 base game with the $15 map packs

Small factual correction here: If you bought the $60 base game when it was $60, you got the map packs for free...
Now its 30-40 euros.

didn't come with any sort of voice communication and people had to make their own work around?
Hmm. It did come with voice communication, but it is in-squad communication only. Then again, why bother with in game full voice communication, when every orginized group uses mumble or teamspeak for that sort of thing anyway, even with games that DO include it?

westyfield
31-01-2012, 01:24 PM
I didn't buy BF3 for a number of EA-related reasons so I had to look up Battlesync to see what it was. It looks like a VOIP tool that was created by the community? Which means that $60 base game with the $15 map packs didn't come with any sort of voice communication and people had to make their own work around? I sure hope I'm misunderstand this, because that seems pathetic to me. I can't believe how many people bought that game.

It's a TeamSpeak/Mumble server plugin that creates a channel for each squad and automatically puts players in the correct channel. BF3 only had team-wide chat, whereas previous BF games had squad chat instead.

Re: OP - Section Seven (http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/servers/show/f9ce2f8e-4644-4f21-b660-c0a949cd8d36/SectionSeven-net-The-Teamplay-Community-TeamSync-VOIP/) is pretty good, but their server is 32-player and I'm not sure how often it's populated.

Jams O'Donnell
31-01-2012, 01:39 PM
TacticalGamer (USA-based)

vorrin
31-01-2012, 04:41 PM
So, Bungle, I agree with you on many counts, I've felt quite insulted by EA and they're not seeing my money again. Bf3 tho, gaping amazing faults aside, is still quite fantastic (especially with b2k maps), and this is much OT tho :)

Grizzly:

Hmm. It did come with voice communication, but it is in-squad communication only. Then again, why bother with in game full voice communication, when every orginized group uses mumble or teamspeak for that sort of thing anyway, even with games that DO include it?

no it didn't , it just has out-of-game friends-party voicecomm, which is absolutely useless when you're in a pub (and in a game with 64 people server, you're never in a team wholly made of friends, which is absolutely unexplainably lame and unacceptable in 2011/12 (also, as consoles do have VOIP, in a "mainly PC" game).

Westyfield: yeh, I have that in my favourites, but I think it's always empty :/
Jams: cheers, that's the one I said I played on tho, which is superfantastic, but US :/

So, if anyone got more, please let them flow :)

Jams O'Donnell
31-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Arg, poop. That'll teach me to read things before posting :)

Grizzly
31-01-2012, 05:14 PM
So, Bungle, I agree with you on many counts, I've felt quite insulted by EA and they're not seeing my money again. Bf3 tho, gaping amazing faults aside, is still quite fantastic (especially with b2k maps), and this is much OT tho :)

Grizzly:

no it didn't , it just has out-of-game friends-party voicecomm, which is absolutely useless when you're in a pub (and in a game with 64 people server, you're never in a team wholly made of friends, which is absolutely unexplainably lame and unacceptable in 2011/12 (also, as consoles do have VOIP, in a "mainly PC" game).

Westyfield: yeh, I have that in my favourites, but I think it's always empty :/
Jams: cheers, that's the one I said I played on tho, which is superfantastic, but US :/

So, if anyone got more, please let them flow :)

Apologies, I must have misread somewhere, or confused with BC2.

vorrin
31-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Apologies, I must have misread somewhere, or confused with BC2.

Heh, yeh, BC2 had voicecomm, it just didn't work (never did for me at least, others sweared it did) :D So yeh, that makes 2 EA games blatantly making fun of the user and of their being 'team-based shooters' :D

Grizzly
31-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Heh, yeh, BC2 had voicecomm, it just didn't work (never did for me at least, others sweared it did) :D So yeh, that makes 2 EA games blatantly making fun of the user and of their being 'team-based shooters' :D

It does appear to work, but I never actually get to talk to anyone :P.
Dunno. Why bother investing in an technology that everyone can do better anyway? CoD4 also had voice comms, and everyone still used Teamspeak and such. A bit weird that they would choose for Voice Comms with friends, since that is exactly what TS3 offers, but having to mute half the server probably also is not a really good thing...

vorrin
31-01-2012, 05:31 PM
you just need at the very least, squad-voicecomm, for when you don't have friends playing, and are pubbing, which is much of the time for many of the players. Ok ts3 does it better, but it's not in-game, it adds a LOT of effort all considered (for the average user at least), and if the other users in your squad don't do it, no communication for you. Also, I think the investment in this 'technology' by now is about 15p as every other damn game had it for the last 10 years, including especially Battlefield 2, so, well, they had it already, was even quite smartly done in bf2 (on button for squad, one for commander, quite awesome).

Spider Jerusalem
31-01-2012, 06:05 PM
even tacticalgamer's servers can't save this pile of shit.

vorrin
31-01-2012, 06:55 PM
well, yes and no, if played properly, I reckon the game can get still pretty darn good, even if it's somewhat of a step backward from bf2

Nalano
31-01-2012, 08:51 PM
I just use Teamspeak for BF3. The only other game I can think of that had built-in VoIP was APB, and I used Ventrilo for that. I don't trust PuGs, and never have. On the rare occasions I did get in the same channels as them, I was subjected to an endless stream of epithets and useless bitching.

As for "difficult for the average player," it's certainly a lot easier to type in an IP address in Teamspeak or Ventrilo than it is to pilot a freakin' helicopter.

Spider Jerusalem
31-01-2012, 09:17 PM
well, yes and no, if played properly, I reckon the game can get still pretty darn good, even if it's somewhat of a step backward from bf2
the issue i have is that vanilla bf2 was pretty sub-par as well. it was the mod community that really made it shine for me with project reality and, most especially, point of existence.

Spider Jerusalem
31-01-2012, 09:18 PM
but, from my posting days at tg, i seem to remember quite a large european contingent. you could try posting over there and see if they have any insight on eu servers. they're a friendly bunch.

vorrin
31-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Spider: totally agree re. Mods, that's one of the biggest letdowns of bf3. And yes, TG seem really friendly, I did ask yesterday on server, and no one mentioned much, I'll try again in my next match on there, maybe when it's a bit more populated.

Nalano: probably, but many many less people feel compelled to do the IP thing, than feel compelled to steal your chopper.

This said, I'm just trying to find decent servers, not really discuss why bf3 is crap (which in good part it is, I agree) or why inbuilt voicecomm is important, I just want to find nice servers, I am perfectly happy with manually joining a TS or mumble server, as long as people in the server are actually trying to play in a good way, that's my main interest.

Nalano
31-01-2012, 10:08 PM
=Nalano: probably, but many many less people feel compelled to do the IP thing, than feel compelled to steal your chopper.

If they can't be compelled to type in an IP address, they can't be compelled to follow orders.

schwar
31-01-2012, 11:08 PM
[AMF] AceMobileForce || 1000T 24/7 || TS3: TS.JEE.FM:9987

Has Teamsync, I searched for teamsync a while ago (when it was in the name) and favourited it, busy but not many on TS. Ping 57 here, it's Spanish.

FuriKuri!
31-01-2012, 11:19 PM
Why would you play the game this way instead of playing it the way it's meant to be played - running round on TDM Canals blastin' away with the USAS 12 like a spack.

Nalano
31-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Why would you play the game this way instead of playing it the way it's meant to be played - running round on TDM Canals blastin' away with the USAS 12 like a spack.

The game is surprisingly varied in its supply of horribly overpowered weapons. :P

Autoshotties with explosive rounds, tanks with canister shells, semi-auto snipers that are practically hitscan, helicopters with actually decent pilots, mortarspam, IFVs with sabots... so many ways to die to something that'd cause you to yell "bullshit!" at the screen. :D

FuriKuri!
31-01-2012, 11:40 PM
It's definately a game with a lot of that "love to hate" stuff going on. Personally my number #1 soft spot is for that whole "blinded by a shitty 2cm wide maglite 10m away from you, in the middle of the fuckin' sahara at high noon" business.

Of course I use the maglite on about 90% of my guns, too.

vorrin
03-02-2012, 07:51 PM
[AMF] AceMobileForce || 1000T 24/7 || TS3: TS.JEE.FM:9987

Has Teamsync, I searched for teamsync a while ago (when it was in the name) and favourited it, busy but not many on TS. Ping 57 here, it's Spanish.

That one was a bit of a last hope, as it's always full and local-ish.

Unfortunately, when I played, no one on ts, and even worse, rather than having the very tactful custom settings that tacticalgamer has, it's a sort of deathmatch fest. Everybody is spotted by default, it seems (not sure how they obtain that, but it's so) so you can see everybody on the minimap at all times, so, yeh, no go for that too.

As weird as it sounds, for a game with so many users and fame, it really seems tacticalgamer's the only server where people do by default really play quite tactically. I asked them again if they knew of anything similar, they only pointed out section 7, whose server I think even went offline now, and was anyway always empty.

Damn, pity :(