PDA

View Full Version : Freaking gamefly

Heliocentric
31-01-2012, 12:40 PM
D2D always worked for me, perfectly. I never tried to download a game and had it fail, or be delisted. Sure availability and prices were crazy sometimes but that's publishers.

Gamefly doesn't work. Their support acknowledged that games are not yet able to be downloaded in the client and suggest I use the website, but the website just launches the client.

My advice is steer clear, even if they are cheap unless you intend to put the key into origin, steam or impulse.

Truely terrible support and service.

Kelron
31-01-2012, 12:43 PM
I know it's still early days, but out of ~20 games I bought on D2D the only one available for download on Gamefly so far is Civ 4. I can't even download the expansions I bought with it. The rest of my games are still listed in the order history on the site (including, bizarrely, a game I never owned on D2D), but there's no indication of when I'll be able to download them.

Rebel44
03-02-2012, 09:29 AM
Also, from what I heard from my friends, if you are outside USA it seems its now impossible to buy any games from
them even if you wanted(I tested it any from Czech Republic, EU, there are 0 games available).

zookeeper
19-02-2012, 03:23 AM
I just went on d2d/gamefly tonight to download one of the games I purchased and I only have 12 of 26 games available for download, with, of course, the game I wanted not among them.

Grrr...

vinraith
19-02-2012, 03:26 AM
Backups, backups, backups...

zookeeper
19-02-2012, 03:31 AM
Backups, backups, backups...

Oh dude, I know.

I took the file off my backup drive and goddamn thing's corrupted!! Otherwise I would have nothing to do with gamefly and their goddamn "client".

All I wanted was senseless violence. Is that too much to ask for??

vinraith
19-02-2012, 03:43 AM
Oh dude, I know.

I took the file off my backup drive and goddamn thing's corrupted!! Otherwise I would have nothing to do with gamefly and their goddamn "client".

All I wanted was senseless violence. Is that too much to ask for??

Ouch. Which game is it, if you don't mind me asking?

BillButNotBen
19-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Luckily i only had Bioshock on D2D and I couldn't even be bothered to download it to back it up. haven't bothered to log in and see if it's still available either. Gamefly seems horribly US centric though.

PeteC
19-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Just checked and I only have Anno 1404 Gold and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines from them (completely forgot I bought that.) Both are available to download thankfully.

I'm a fan of digital distribution but these stories are a timely lesson that it's far from perfect.

zookeeper
19-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Ouch. Which game is it, if you don't mind me asking?

In this case it was *cough*hawx*cough*, but I also noticed that Swat 4 isn't there, tropico isn't there, stronghold isn't there, black shark isn't there, and many other actually good games aren't there. Looks like the big name titles are there though (of course). God forbid someone not be able to play mass effect.

I'm a fan of digital distribution but these stories are a timely lesson that it's far from perfect.

I agree. I was very hesitant to buy anything digitally, because you never really had control over it, but those goddamn deals!! I got sucked in by bioshock for $4.99 shortly after it came out. So I told my self that I wouldn't buy anything digitally unless it was significantly reduced, and, while I've held pretty well to that, I've probably spent more because of that than I would have otherwise. *sigh*. Oh well, I'm going to find a game that works and blow shit up.

Gamefly assures us that all the games will be available at some point (unless you've been notified to download a specific game ahead of time - supposedly) but I still find it a little frustrating that they rush ahead with this service without taking care of their existing customers. I quite liked d2d in it's time, good deals, no steam-esque client, no need to connect to their servers to install (looking at you, gamersgate) - of course, that's assuming your backups are intact. I should check the rest. I hope my drive isn't dying.