PDA

View Full Version : You know what's bullshit? This right here

ZIGS
31-01-2012, 09:11 PM
http://electronictheatre.co.uk/xbox360/xbox360-news/15570/risen-2-dark-waters-story-dlc-offered-pre-order-incentive

Hopefully this only applies to the consoletoys

Nalano
31-01-2012, 09:17 PM
While I can't be angry at the idea of DLC just being a single quest line, as I've bought that sort of thing before, I can be miffed that companies are still adamant about pre-orders more than orders. For fuck's sake, I don't know how good your game will be. Why punish me for choosing to find out before I commit money to it?

BenWah
31-01-2012, 09:30 PM
This is a good marketing move if their game is crap and they want people to preorder before they realize it

Nalano
31-01-2012, 09:32 PM
This is a good marketing move if their game is crap and they want people to preorder before they realize it

I assume all pre-orders and, by extension, all day-one sales are basically this.

Drake Sigar
31-01-2012, 09:33 PM
I could understand if it were an insanely popular franchise like Call of Duty, but Risen? Good luck. If ever a demographic were likely to respond to this with a casual "fuck em" and spend their money elsewhere, it's the patient Risen fans. This is tantamount to watching an Indi developer stuff their game with Ubisoft levels of DRM, it's just not tolerated because they don't have the power or support to justify it.

metalangel
31-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Doesn't this stuff tend to come out eventually for other platforms and non-preorderers? Then it's just the stupid publishers shooting themselves in the foot because people who are determined to have it will just wait until it's out/in a GOTY by which time the game costs half what it did on launch.

Smashbox
31-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Very similar to the Catwoman strategy in Arkham City. Imagine if a movie cut out scenes unless you pre-ordered a DVD.

R-F
31-01-2012, 11:02 PM
Doesn't this stuff tend to come out eventually for other platforms and non-preorderers? Then it's just the stupid publishers shooting themselves in the foot because people who are determined to have it will just wait until it's out/in a GOTY by which time the game costs half what it did on launch.

It's getting sold for £8 on release, I think it says.

Also, good for me! Another game I won't feel guilty about torrenting, along with Kingdoms of Amalur (lots of different pre-order DLC at different retailers with ACTUAL FUCKING CHARACTER CLASSES locked away? Hahahah, GOOD ONE) and similar.

Smashbox
31-01-2012, 11:06 PM
CHARACTER CLASSES locked away?

If that's not bullshit, that's bullshit.

Nalano
31-01-2012, 11:11 PM
along with Kingdoms of Amalur (lots of different pre-order DLC at different retailers with ACTUAL FUCKING CHARACTER CLASSES locked away? Hahahah, GOOD ONE) and similar.

Could you link me that? I've found the usual "slightly cheating free items for starting characters" retail crap, but not actual character classes.

Kodeen
31-01-2012, 11:22 PM
Admittedly it's been a while since I played Risen, but I have absolutely no idea what they're talking about here. Any ideas?

In the Treasure Isle DLC, the player will embark on an extra story questline to uncover Captain Steelbeard’s legendary treasure – a quest that will continue a plot element from the first Risen game and finally bring it to an exciting conclusion.

sabrage
31-01-2012, 11:32 PM
How fitting that this game is centered around piracy.

Lukasz
31-01-2012, 11:33 PM
it depends how big the quest is. if it few hours long with interesting new locations and stuff like that the price is appropriate.

I do not have anything against preorder bonuses. it is incentive for players to risk buying a game of unknown quality. Hundred different preorders or the one which affect your ability to play in MP game or drastically affect your SP gameplay. that is a problem.

single quest line... not big of a deal. price might be.

R-F
31-01-2012, 11:33 PM
If that's not bullshit, that's bullshit.
Could you link me that? I've found the usual "slightly cheating free items for starting characters" retail crap, but not actual character classes.

Here. (http://reckoning.amalur.com/en/r/exclusive-offers#destinies-choice) If I'm not completely misinterpreting this, then that card is essentially a character class, as that's how classes are represented in game.

Snargelfargen
31-01-2012, 11:48 PM
I didn't know Risen 2 was even getting dlc. Guess I'll be using my steam coupon on the original after all.

Corpekata
31-01-2012, 11:59 PM
Here. (http://reckoning.amalur.com/en/r/exclusive-offers#destinies-choice) If I'm not completely misinterpreting this, then that card is essentially a character class, as that's how classes are represented in game.

Twist of Fate cards are just bonuses. They aren't classes. Unlocks things like extra experience if you do this and that for so and so (not this card, that's an example) so it'll basically just be a small attribute bonus without having to do anything.

Nalano
01-02-2012, 12:11 AM
Twist of Fate cards are just bonuses. They aren't classes. Unlocks things like extra experience if you do this and that for so and so (not this card, that's an example) so it'll basically just be a small attribute bonus without having to do anything.

Yeah. Twist of Fate cards are like "5% bonus to to X." Destiny cards are your character classes.

deano2099
01-02-2012, 02:57 AM
While I can't be angry at the idea of DLC just being a single quest line, as I've bought that sort of thing before, I can be miffed that companies are still adamant about pre-orders more than orders. For fuck's sake, I don't know how good your game will be. Why punish me for choosing to find out before I commit money to it?

Well the flip side is they're rewarding you for taking a chance on them before the reviews come out.

The sad thing is, we're at the point now where a couple of bad reviews from the very high-profile sites can really tank a game. And when I say 'bad' I mean 7/10 scores. I hate the fact they're doing it (and the grammatical fallacy that is "pre-order") but I can certainly see why.

Nalano
01-02-2012, 05:37 AM
Well the flip side is they're rewarding you for taking a chance on them before the reviews come out.

The sad thing is, we're at the point now where a couple of bad reviews from the very high-profile sites can really tank a game. And when I say 'bad' I mean 7/10 scores. I hate the fact they're doing it (and the grammatical fallacy that is "pre-order") but I can certainly see why.

Maybe if the whole industry wasn't so enamored with its own mediocrity (and reviewers so enamored with the four-point scale)...

Voon
01-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Meh, that's nothing. Remember when THQ wanted to charge players to use certain cheats in the game?

R-F
01-02-2012, 11:57 AM

Eh, which brings up the issue of that you never know what the fuck you're getting.

Porcupeth
01-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Slightly OT, is Risen good enough to justify using my 75% off coupon right now and not wait to see if it goes on sale to stack until march?

sabrage
01-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Slightly OT, is Risen good enough to justify using my 75% off coupon right now and not wait to see if it goes on sale to stack until march?
What do you lose by waiting?

That's right, nothing. The price isn't going to go up.

Porcupeth
01-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Well, it's not that simple.

Reasons to get it now:
- I have a lot more time on my hands now to play than i'll have in march, when i'll be swamped with college work
- Even if it does go on sale, the saving won't really be that big, specially if the sale is just 50%. It is a 75% coupon after all, not 50 or 33..
- I just finished DKS and felt like i wanted more, but none of my backlogged games are like it at all. I know Risen is probably a bit different but surely more similar to it than the others i have

Reasons to wait:
- "Pure" rational economics

edit: err.sorry for hijacking the thread

sabrage
01-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Well, it's not that simple.

Reasons to get it now:
- I have a lot more time on my hands now to play than i'll have in march, when i'll be swamped with college work
- Even if it does go on sale, the saving won't really be that big, specially if the sale is just 50%. It is a 75% coupon after all, not 50 or 33..
- I just finished DKS and felt like i wanted more, but none of my backlogged games are like it at all. I know Risen is probably a bit different but surely more similar to it than the others i have

Reasons to wait:
- "Pure" rational economics

edit: err.sorry for hijacking the thread
Never understood the notion of "threadjacking." If it's even tangentially related to what preceded, then fair game. If it's not, either a) nobody will respond or b) you'll be made a fool for it.

But, seeing as your question was "Should I play this RIGHT NOW?" and not "Is Risen worth my time?" I'll admit that I can't comment on the game itself, never having played it.