PDA

View Full Version : Angry Birds man gets it

Rii
01-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-30-angry-birds-boss-piracy-isnt-always-a-bad-thing)

Mikael Hed told an audience at the Midem conference in Cannes earlier today that the entertainment industry needs to change the way it looks at consumers.

"We could learn a lot from the music industry, and the rather terrible ways the music industry has tried to combat piracy," he explained."We took something from the music industry, which was to stop treating the customers as users, and start treating them as fans. We do that today: we talk about how many fans we have."If we lose that fanbase, our business is done, but if we can grow that fanbase, our business will grow."

He added that taking legal action against those who've illegally downloaded the game is "futile" and only serves to alienate thousands of potential "fans" who might help build the brand and contribute to the bottom line further down the road."Piracy may not be a bad thing: it can get us more business at the end of the day," he said.

Maybe I should play this 'enraged avians' game at some point...

Nalano
01-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Yyyyep yep.

Voon
01-02-2012, 10:43 AM
So, if I jailbreaked my iPod and downloaded this 'Furious Feathered Creatures' game just to see what the fuss is about, am I still helping their company grow?

That aside, he's got a point there. Ubi, take note

Heliocentric
01-02-2012, 11:00 AM
If you end up liking it enough to buy it later, or pick up a sequel on ds or maybe even a humble bundle.

So yes, it might help.

Althea
01-02-2012, 11:02 AM
So, if I jailbreaked my iPod and downloaded this 'Furious Feathered Creatures' game just to see what the fuss is about, am I still helping their company grow?
If someone sees you playing it, and asks what it is or is reminded to check it out - yes.

That aside, he's got a point there. Ubi, take note
Actually, Ubi aren't too bad... as such. They do a number of PC-centric franchises (Might & Magic, Anno, Settlers) that other companies would have just sat on for an inconsiderate amount of time. Yes, they've dicked up massively with the DRM and superfluous crap (The Settlers 7's menu as a prime example), but they're still putting out games for a relatively small fanbase.

Shane
01-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Or rave about it to your friends.

SirKicksalot
01-02-2012, 07:03 PM
They made Angry Birds free and ad-supported on Android because paid apps aren't available in some countries. Now they earn one million dollars per month from these ads. Clever guys.

Drake Sigar
01-02-2012, 07:16 PM
The entertainment industry has proven time and time again (VCR and music debacles) that they will continue to push outdated business practices until they literally have no other choice. It's shocking how little some seem to know about their own consumer base.

Nalano
01-02-2012, 07:22 PM
The entertainment industry has proven time and time again (VCR and music debacles) that they will continue to push outdated business practices until they literally have no other choice. It's shocking how little some seem to know about their own consumer base.

It's funny how capitalists constantly promote the idea that CEOs and executives deserve the frankly ridiculous pay and options they get because they're decisive, forward-thinking idea men... until it's pointed out, time and again, that nobody has any new ideas and most of the schemes they've plotted are just shell games.

Jacques
01-02-2012, 07:24 PM
They made Angry Birds free and ad-supported on Android because paid apps aren't available in some countries. Now they earn one million dollars per month from these ads. Clever guys.

Probably from people accidentally clicking the ads on smaller screened devices.

LGM
02-02-2012, 03:22 AM
Probably from people accidentally clicking the ads on smaller screened devices.

Gotta be. Do people actually click on ads intentionally on any format, be it smartphones or pc? I honestly haven't seen more than a handful of ads since like 2005 on pc (thank you, Adblock Plus and Noscript!) and before that I never clicked on them at all unless it was by accident. I rarely game on my phone and avoid ads at all cost on there, so I'm certainly not where all this ad revenue is coming from.

It's kind of sad in a way that so many of these companies exist solely based on ad revenue. Things will not end well for them, as there's just no way ad supported companies can last. For those of you who remember those things called VCR's, what did we all do when recording tv shows or movies on them? We fast forwarded through the commercials, BECAUSE WE HATE ADVERTISING! I've never known anybody who wouldn't fast forward through commercials back then and every single person I have talked to about ads online have all said that they despise them and that they're just annoying. I have introduced A LOT of people to the two FF addons I mentioned above, and they've all been ecstatic to be rid of ads.

As to Rovio, this guy may actually have some common sense (a rare thing at the top of a game company) but his company is built around one IP that's not even an original idea. If these guys don't get something new and exciting to market real soon, they'll be out of business before that Angry Birds movie hits theaters.

PeopleLikeFrank
02-02-2012, 03:49 AM
Google would probably disagree with you.

Amusing: there was an article many years back (hence I'm not going to try to find it), in which was documented that ad agencies were shocked (shocked!) to learn that some people online were going out of their way to avoid looking at ads. Somebody had just told them about Adblocker you see, and they honestly couldn't wrap their heads around the notion that anyone wouldn't want to look at their output.

That said, there's a whole ton of people who have no idea such things exist. I've seen people try to click the fake close button on an ad pretending to look like a Windows window, while browsing on their own non-Windows machines. Google makes more on advertising than every U.S. newspaper combined. I think people have to be clicking on them. Nobody any of us knows personally, of course. God no.

Matzerath
02-02-2012, 04:28 AM
The Internet gives unprecedented access to those fabled suckers that are born every minute.

LGM
02-02-2012, 04:51 AM
Google would probably disagree with you.

Amusing: there was an article many years back (hence I'm not going to try to find it), in which was documented that ad agencies were shocked (shocked!) to learn that some people online were going out of their way to avoid looking at ads. Somebody had just told them about Adblocker you see, and they honestly couldn't wrap their heads around the notion that anyone wouldn't want to look at their output.

That said, there's a whole ton of people who have no idea such things exist. I've seen people try to click the fake close button on an ad pretending to look like a Windows window, while browsing on their own non-Windows machines. Google makes more on advertising than every U.S. newspaper combined. I think people have to be clicking on them. Nobody any of us knows personally, of course. God no.

Google has built a massive infrastructure around what was once just an ad revenue based business model. They're so much more than that now, that's the difference between them and these small outfits; Google will survive, most of these other companies relying on ad revenue will not. Of course others will take their place, have their day in the sun and then fail as well lol.

I'm not surprised that marketing companies were shocked that people didn't want to see their adverts, they seem to have been out of touch with reality for quite a long time.

It's a shame that so few know about adblock and noscript. If everybody knew about them, these ad funded companies would fail almost instantly.

KawHyong
02-02-2012, 08:00 AM
If you end up liking it enough to buy it later
http://www.aprilday.info/songht1.jpghttp://www.aprilday.info/songgd.jpg
http://www.bookunion.org/11.jpg

Nalano
02-02-2012, 08:11 AM
We fast forwarded through the commercials, BECAUSE WE HATE ADVERTISING!

We also bought products in markedly larger numbers, BECAUSE ADVERTISING WORKS.

What now, bish?

The Innocent
02-02-2012, 08:52 AM
It's a shame that so few know about adblock and noscript. If everybody knew about them, these ad funded companies would fail almost instantly.

I know about them and don't use them. And I know of lots of folks in the same boat.

SeanybabeS
02-02-2012, 10:15 AM
I know about them and don't use them. And I know of lots of folks in the same boat.

I indeed share that boat. If a site/game is kept running thanks to a few ads I'm not bothered. The one caveat to that is if there are a couple thousand flash ads doing there best to crash my browser.

PeopleLikeFrank
02-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Google has built a massive infrastructure around what was once just an ad revenue based business model. They're so much more than that now, that's the difference between them and these small outfits; Google will survive, most of these other companies relying on ad revenue will not. Of course others will take their place, have their day in the sun and then fail as well lol.

Google made $36 billion in ad revenue in 2011. (http://investor.google.com/financial/tables.html) Out of a total revenue of $37 billion. That's 97% of their revenue. Most "small outfits" are just taking part in larger advertising networks, like Google's.

LGM
02-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Google made $36 billion in ad revenue in 2011. (http://investor.google.com/financial/tables.html) Out of a total revenue of $37 billion. That's 97% of their revenue. Most "small outfits" are just taking part in larger advertising networks, like Google's.

Haha! I can't believe it, I would have thought, with all the pies they have their fingers in these days, most of their cashiola would have come from something other than advertising! ROFL! Oh, the mighty Google, lol!

This is hilarious, the supposedly "biggest companies on the web" are funded almost entirely off annoying advertisements and malware laden popups, etc... (big G has let quite a few nasty people inject dirty, filthy things into ads on their service before - and yes I understand it's not their fault).

How long does everyone think advertising can support all this? As it becomes more and more prevalent, with scareware pissing people off in record numbers, targeted adverts based on your user history, and who knows what else they're up to, more and more people will get fed up and find out about Adblock and Noscript, and these "companies" who survive off this filth will fall. A slow fall it will be, but fall they will. What's even more humorous is all the talk about what great businesses Google and FB and the like are when they basically don't make shit off of any real products, just ads! People bash Msoft, "oh they're going down! Google OS will destroy them etc.." but Msoft makes actual products and built their business off of, well, an actual business.

@Nalano,

Yes, we did buy products we wanted, in large numbers. Advertising IS an essential part of capitalism, but ONLINE ADVERTISING is a fucking cancer on the ass of the internet, it's the greasy used car salesman of advertising. Online ads, if done correctly, would be just fine. Too bad there's no such thing as online advertising that is done nice and proper like. It's all garbage that bogs down your browsing experience and honestly, most ads, even targeted ones based on user history/search history end up being way off the mark. I've read lots of hilarious shit about the weird ads people see coming up on sites. Reading a news story about a situation in the middle east? Oh, you must be looking to join and online dating service that caters to middle eastern people! Yeah, that's great advertising.

TV commercials at least have some production behind them, and they don't just let any assclown with a couple grand and a shitty product or service buy ad time. We may have fast forwarded through ads back in the day on our VCR's because they were annoying, but they're nothing compared to online advertising. I would sit and watch tv commercials all day long before I'd click on a single online ad.

*loads up IE for 10 seconds*

Oh look, I can buy my food online! That's so much more convenient than going to the grocery store! And I bet the company selling this "safe, natural, organic" food is totally on the level.

Berzee
02-02-2012, 04:25 PM
In general, I think something like this:

Only a very soft-headed, sentimental, and rather servile generation of men could possibly be affected by advertisements at all. People who are a little more hard-headed, humorous, and intellectually independent, see the rather simple joke; and are not impressed by this or any other form of self-praise. Almost any other men in almost any other age would have seen the joke. If you had said to a man in the Stone Age, 'Ugg says Ugg makes the best stone hatchets,' he would have perceived a lack of detachment and disinterestedness about the testimonial. If you had said to a medieval peasant, 'Robert the Bowyer proclaims, with three blasts of a horn, that he makes good bows,' the peasant would have said, 'Well, of course he does,' and thought about something more important. It is only among people whose minds have been weakened by a sort of mesmerism that so transparent a trick as that of advertisement could ever have been tried at all.

But that is only talking about the kind of advertising that tries to convince you "Our product is the best one ever!"

There is another kind of advertising that I actually quite appreciate, which are those commercials that simply inform you "Hey, this thing exists, in case you're interested." -- some of the front page ads on RPS fall into this category, or at least I take them as such. I appreciate being made aware of new things; but not being Sold To. (Unless it's George Foreman grills, I don't mind commercials trying to sell me those, because I NEED SUCH GRILLS).

Bhazor
02-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Bwa ha ha ha!!!

This guys on a high horse talking about IP infringement and piracy? Really?
http://www.atomicboysoftware.com/blog/2010/12/angry-birds-crush-the-castle-and-inspiration/

Althea
02-02-2012, 04:48 PM
See, the thing is, it's not about what you do it's about how you do it.

The Angry Birds guys are very successful, but that success is getting ridiculous. There's PC ports available at 10x the price of the iOS version (at least) - whilst I understand there's distribution costs, porting, advertising and so forth, it seems a bit bizarre. Mind you, PopCap games have a bigger difference in their pricing, but I don't think it's ever close to 10x. On top of that, there's been a toy line, iPhone/iPod merchandise (such as Angry Birds cases), clothing and I believe a TV show is or was in talks.

It's why Zynga made all that money, too. Just do what everyone else is, just do it better - or, better still, just have the best marketing.

Jacques
02-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Yes, we did buy products we wanted, in large numbers. Advertising IS an essential part of capitalism, but ONLINE ADVERTISING is a fucking cancer on the ass of the internet, it's the greasy used car salesman of advertising. Online ads, if done correctly, would be just fine. Too bad there's no such thing as online advertising that is done nice and proper like. It's all garbage that bogs down your browsing experience and honestly, most ads, even targeted ones based on user history/search history end up being way off the mark. I've read lots of hilarious shit about the weird ads people see coming up on sites. Reading a news story about a situation in the middle east? Oh, you must be looking to join and online dating service that caters to middle eastern people! Yeah, that's great advertising.

TV commercials at least have some production behind them, and they don't just let any assclown with a couple grand and a shitty product or service buy ad time. We may have fast forwarded through ads back in the day on our VCR's because they were annoying, but they're nothing compared to online advertising. I would sit and watch tv commercials all day long before I'd click on a single online ad.

*loads up IE for 10 seconds*

Oh look, I can buy my food online! That's so much more convenient than going to the grocery store! And I bet the company selling this "safe, natural, organic" food is totally on the level.

The problem with all of that is, of course, that Google isn't to blame for badly targeted ads. Bad marketers are.

Google provides all the tools for people to target properly and to then optimise those ads.

Nalano
02-02-2012, 10:06 PM
@Nalano,

Yes, we did buy products we wanted, in large numbers. Advertising IS an essential part of capitalism, but ONLINE ADVERTISING is a fucking cancer on the ass of the internet.

They're no worse than the rest of advertising.

Right now, if I were to walk outside - just outside my apartment - right on the block I live, then in six of the seven cardinal directions I can face, I will see an ad. And I can't just block it with Adblock (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/). If I walk to the end of the block, then most of what I see are ads. Garishly-colored, all-pervasive, can't be missed. Ads. Everywhere! On the sides of buses and trains, on the tops of taxis, inside buses, trains and taxis, on the windows of stores, on the awnings of stores, on garbage cans, on bus stop shelters, in huge billboards on top of buildings, plastered on every bare wall imaginable, handed out personally by people dressed in ads, piped through the air through loudspeakers, through public address systems, through the radio. Every item I purchase is swaddled in an ad for itself and likely another item on top. We are festooned with ads, injected in every conceivable crevice, invading every aspect of our lives.

Why should the internet be any different?

Bhazor
02-02-2012, 11:58 PM
I have to wonder does advertising really work? I mean they seem to be throwing more money at this shit than ever but are they selling more? In an age of $50,000,000 advertising campaigns how many cans of frickin' Coke do you have to sell to make that back? Are there really people who see these adverts and think "Hey woah! Coke exists? I'm going to try some of that!".

The point at which you can afford an $Xmillion advertising campaign is the point at which you don't need it. Every mother lover who gives a damn already knows you exist.

Personally I think all these $50,000,000 ad campaigns and $100,000,000 launches are about moving figures. It's about hiding huge amounts of money by playing find the lady with different shells. At the same time it lets you boast about your big investment to keep the stock holders happy and means if things do go a bit oopsy daisy they can just cut advertising and boast about "making" $xmillion then celebrate with six figure bonuses.

Nalano
03-02-2012, 12:25 AM
I have to wonder does advertising really work?

Yes.

10charachters

Drake Sigar
03-02-2012, 01:07 AM

Those Nigerian royalty e-mails wouldn't be so widespread if someone out there wasn't falling for them.

The point at which you can afford an $Xmillion advertising campaign is the point at which you don't need it. Every mother lover who gives a damn already knows you exist.Maybe it's also about hogging as much advertising space as possible so those who do need it, can't get any.

Keep
03-02-2012, 01:33 AM

Right? You gotta wonder. If all the rival companies agreed to mutual disarmament, surely they'd come out equally well.

...Only...I'd imagine if tobacco companies could advertise, there'd be a lot more smokers about.

Althea
03-02-2012, 09:44 AM
...Only...I'd imagine if tobacco companies could advertise, there'd be a lot more smokers about.
With regards to the UK, at least, I'm not sure that's true. The banning of tobacco advertising is probably nothing compared to the problems that pubs have faced with regards to beer pricing, non-smoking policies and so forth. I see a lot of people smoking, still, maybe not as much as there were - but the pubs really suffered due to those laws, and it did affect the tobacco industry.

Nalano
03-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Right? You gotta wonder. If all the rival companies agreed to mutual disarmament, surely they'd come out equally well.

Advertising for a product isn't, at base, competing against similar products. It's competing against not buying any product. Getting somebody to think "I want a beer" is the most important step in the process of selling your beer, to the point where having them choose between Sam Adams and Yuengling is a relatively minor quibble.

That's why most beer commercials are basically saying, "beer is what you drink to cool down, beer is what you drink to get through the day, beer is what you drink to unwind, beer is what you drink to have fun, beer is what you drink to be with your friends, beer is what you drink to be manly, beer is what you drink to meet women, liquor is what you drink to be classy." Some then go on to say, "our beer is what you drink when you want to be discerning," but first you must get them to drink beer. If there was an armistice of advertising, general consumer spending would go down.

It's the same with car commercials: Driving is what you do to escape the drudgery of your life. Driving is what you do to feel free. Driving is what you do to get in touch with nature. Driving is what you do to show off your success. Driving is what you do to pick up women. Now that you're in the market for a car...

Are there really people who see these adverts and think "Hey woah! Coke exists? I'm going to try some of that!"

Sometimes people forget to buy a Coke.

There might be moments of the day when you're thirsty and Coca-Cola did not cross your mind. Thankfully, they are here to remind you.

Berzee
03-02-2012, 02:58 PM
There might be moments of the day when you're thirsty and Coca-Cola did not cross your mind. Thankfully, they are here to remind you.

It does sound pretty refreshing, now you mention it.

lasikbear
03-02-2012, 05:57 PM
The point at which you can afford an $Xmillion advertising campaign is the point at which you don't need it. Every mother lover who gives a damn already knows you exist.

In regards to online advertising, the goal is generally to get people who are searching for say, a camera, to realize "hey, I can get this camera at Major Retailor, I know them, I like them, I have this notion of their brand" and to choose to buy it there rather than from an alternative retailer.

Even advertising on your own brandname is effective, people search for it for whatever reason and see their ad in the paid search results at the top of google offering whatever message and then they go to a more targeted page and often end up making a purchase. Sure their are people who click on the ads and make the exact same purchase they would have made from clicking an organic search link, but there are plenty of people who came for some other reason and have ended up making some action that the company has deemed profitable (as in not necessarily buying a thing, but maybe signing up for a newsletter or getting a coupon or whatever).