PDA

View Full Version : What should a convalescent play?

Feldspar
01-02-2012, 01:20 PM
My knee is being attacked by the surgeon's knife tomorrow, it's no big deal, but it is going to leave me with some free time before I can get back to work. What should I waste this time on?

I have The Witcher to finish, but notice there are a few threads on here tempting to enlist me into an MMO (I've been MMO-free for 6 months). My preferences lean towards the more RPGy end of the market usually.

Suggestions, please.

metalangel
01-02-2012, 01:28 PM
When I had a busted knee I sat and played Mirror's Edge and Call of Juarez: BiB. More recently after surgery I played Deus Ex: HR (once I could coordinate myself, I tried playing SBK2011 and couldn't keep control) and Eve.

So for the first day, something relaxed that isn't reflex based. A Civ-style game would be ideal.

Icarus
01-02-2012, 01:30 PM
I can wholeheartedly recommend picking up the Infinity engine games (Baldur's Gate, PS:T et al) off of GoG, patching them up to modern resolutions, and not coming up for air until you're done.

Anthile
01-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Pointy object. Knee. Skyrim.

Voon
01-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Pointy object. Knee. Skyrim.

/thread /10char

Feldspar
02-02-2012, 12:11 AM
Judging from previous surgery, I'll come round an hour or two after they expected me to and then I'll have been pumped so full of painkillers I'll sleep all day. So anything more involving than daytime television is probably out of the window.

I played the Infinity engine games the first time around, but maybe a revisitation is in order.

I honestly hadn't made the Skyrim connect, I'm waiting until it comes down in price (and is patched and modded into some working order) before I dip a toe into those waters.

Cooper
02-02-2012, 12:44 AM
MMOs will be very good if, finding yourself indoors a lot, you miss a bit of social interaction. I'd happily recommend them for that. but beyond that, they're such a long-term investment that, unless you intend to continue playing afterwards, might be best to steer clear and go for something else to immerse you.

Drake Sigar
02-02-2012, 12:48 AM
Alpha Protocol is a much better RPG stealth game than Deus Ex Human Revolution.

Kodeen
02-02-2012, 01:22 AM
Judging from previous surgery, I'll come round an hour or two after they expected me to and then I'll have been pumped so full of painkillers I'll sleep all day. So anything more involving than daytime television is probably out of the window.

In that case I'd suggest some roguelikes or Binding of Isaac or something like that. If you nod off during a gameplay session, you die, big deal. You were going to die anyway.

Porcupeth
02-02-2012, 02:23 AM
Alpha Protocol is a much better RPG stealth game than Deus Ex Human Revolution.

Huh, nope.

Response to OP, i'd say Skyrim. It's relaxing.

DaftPunk
02-02-2012, 03:40 AM
I agree with drake,in terms of real RPG,Alpha Protocol is better game.

Voon
02-02-2012, 06:09 AM
Alpha Protocol is a much better RPG stealth game than Deus Ex Human Revolution. in terms of the game as an RPG, i'd say yes. too bad the minigames suck

KawHyong
02-02-2012, 08:00 AM
I can wholeheartedly recommend picking up the Infinity engine games
http://www.aprilday.info/songht1.jpghttp://www.aprilday.info/songgd.jpg
http://www.bookunion.org/11.jpg

Drake Sigar
02-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Huh, nope.

I expect saying Alpha Protocol was better than Mass Effect (which I actually believe) would have raised a few eyebrows, but Human Revolution? There's no comparison.

Alpha Protocol's conversational system is better (replacing Mass Effect's blatant good/bad choices with attitude choices and a Fahrenheit-like timer), the dialogue is better, the protagonist is better, the characters are better (if a little James Bondesque), the skills you pick change your game more substantially than HR's, your actions in Alpha Protocol impact both long term encounters and your immediate game in the form of those fucking ingenius traits (HR's choices are surprisingly limited and tacked on), AP allows you to tackle the countries in any order which brings up even more choices depending on what you did or didn't d- OH MA GOD SO MANY CHOI- AP has more replayability (upon completion I started a new game immediately), there's more incentive to fly off the handle and play by your own rules, it has romanancable characters, Mike Thorton's appearance is customisable, also he's far sexier than Adam Jenson who will never get laid.

Ever.

Mistabashi
02-02-2012, 11:22 AM
I expect saying Alpha Protocol was better than Mass Effect (which I actually believe) would have raised a few eyebrows, but Human Revolution? There's no comparison.

Alpha Protocol's conversational system is better (replacing Mass Effect's blatant good/bad choices with attitude choices and a Fahrenheit-like timer), the dialogue is better, the protagonist is better, the characters are better (if a little James Bondesque), the skills you pick change your game more substantially than HR's, your actions in Alpha Protocol impact both long term encounters and your immediate game in the form of those fucking ingenius traits (HR's choices are surprisingly limited and tacked on), AP allows you to tackle the countries in any order which brings up even more choices depending on what you did or didn't d- OH MA GOD SO MANY CHOI- AP has more replayability (upon completion I started a new game immediately), there's more incentive to fly off the handle and play by your own rules, it has romanancable characters, Mike Thorton's appearance is customisable, also he's far sexier than Adam Jenson who will never get laid.

Ever.

That got a little bit weird towards the end...

Porcupeth
02-02-2012, 01:09 PM
People talk about DEHR's bosses.. and i don't know why. They were okay, not a big deal. Alpha protocol on the other hand has the worst boss encounters i've ever seen in a game. Also, what was up with their writers? I like Obsidian's storytelling (NWN2 and MOTB were great in that regard) but AP just rushed past the story, leaving characters behind that should have played bigger parts or had more screen time.. It's a whole goddamn mess. The game itself isn't bad but it's probably Obsidians worst attempt at anything. Doesn't matter if it has "more RPG elements", it's still a worst game and a worst "RPG" than DEHR. Because it's worst at everything. Alpha Protocol is a pale shadow of what DEHR is.

Even DS3 was better than AP, which i promptly uninstalled after my first playthrough. It was all the more frustrating because there was potential and some good stuff there, but so completely ruined that i'll probably never touch it again.

Drake Sigar
02-02-2012, 01:30 PM
Mary-Kate and Ashley: Girls Night Out is a better game than Deus Ex: HR. HR didn't even need bosses, it needed five more chapters and some actual depth to the augments debate. I played HR for the first time last month and found the game completely forgettable. A year from now I won't remember a single coherent detail about it.

Porcupeth
02-02-2012, 01:36 PM
I can say the same thing about AP and the opposite about DEHR, which was 2011's 2nd best game.,

Drake Sigar
02-02-2012, 01:41 PM
which was 2011's 2nd best game.,
According to the infallible mainstream reviewers?

Porcupeth
02-02-2012, 02:36 PM
According to me

Berzee
02-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Mary-Kate and Ashley: Girls Night Out

play this, you convalescent you.

Feldspar
02-02-2012, 03:18 PM
play this, you convalescent you.

I've just had an arthroscopy, not a lobotomy.

Berzee
02-02-2012, 03:51 PM
I've just had an arthroscopy, not a lobotomy.

HA

I was going to say Trauma but I realized that's only superficially about hospitals. Anyone know any nice games about convalescents/ce? You know...for.....empathy? :(

Real suggestion: when I had a broken wrist on summer vacation, I played a great deal of the earlier monkey island games to lighten to mood. Jolly Rover is a newer adventure game in a somewhat similar vein, and I found it to be pretty good, in a humor-to-appreciate-but-not-guffaw-at sort of way, and with puzzles that mostly I didn't need walkthroughs for.

mike2R
02-02-2012, 04:44 PM
The Void might be fun... while zonked out on painkillers you'd probably start to doubt whether you'd ever come out of the anesthetic :)

Saints Row the Third - turn the difficulty down (which I do anyway since I play games like that to feel awesome) and just go nuts.