PDA

View Full Version : How to enable alternate dialogue in Bulletstorm?

Kollega
02-02-2012, 04:14 PM
The title pretty much says it all. Some of you might have heard that Bulletstorm has not-so-profane alternate dialogue, and that the developers regretted not making the choice up-front. My problem is that i've dug through the options menu and still couldn't find any way to enable that alternate dialogue. Does anyone here know how to do that?

Althea
02-02-2012, 04:15 PM
I didn't even know that was available.

Bizarre. Bulletstorm is all about the dick jokes.

Vexing Vision
02-02-2012, 04:19 PM
And dick tits.

I really, really liked the dick tits.

Did they really say they regretted it?

Giaddon
02-02-2012, 04:36 PM
I have no idea how to do it, but here's the quote from the dev (one small part of a larger article, here (http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/06/bulletstorms-creative-director-responds-to-our-mainstream-games-editorial/)):

Let me give you an example. In Bulletstorm, you can turn off the profane language. I’m not talking about beeping out the swear words. I’m talking about replacing entire lines with alternate ones, something we and Rick Remender worked hard on. This way you don’t even know when the characters curse and when they don’t, the experience is very fluid.

Originally, we made it so the players had to choose the language (profane/alternate) before they could play the game. But then we thought: “Fuck it, people already have to go through a couple of info windows before they get to play, let’s not make it even more painful – let’s put that option into Options menu. Everyone will find it if they want to”.

Worst. Decision. Ever.
It really cost us. My opinion is that our Metacritic score is a few points lower just because of that decision. Just as an example, check out the review from Wired, where the reviewer didn’t really like the dick jokes (calling them our “Achilles’ penis”, which hurt, but was also awesome). That’s absolutely fine, but I wish he knew about and was able to choose to play with the alternate dialogue.

groovychainsaw
02-02-2012, 04:37 PM
I thought the dialogue in bulletstorm was superb. It was the best satire of BIG WAR-MAN SHOOT dialogue I've heard in a good long while. It made me laugh out loud many times, so stupid and immature was it. I felt confident in my laughter that that was the point.

The developers then said it wasn't meant to be that offensive, and I became less sure if they meant it to be satire. I'd have felt happier if they'd defended it by saying it was stupidly over the top for a reason. Nonetheless, I continue to hope it was written by an intelligent mind deliberately satirising the excessively sweary nature of most testoste-shooters. I hope so anyway, I'd rather not consider the mind behind it otherwise...

And on topic, it never crossed my mind to switch it off. Surely that's missing the point of the game? You run around kicking people in the groin for about 50% of the time.

Voon
02-02-2012, 04:48 PM
I thought there was a 'censored' dialogue option somewhere in the options menu?

Kollega
02-02-2012, 05:17 PM
I thought there was a 'censored' dialogue option somewhere in the options menu?

Nope. I couldn't find anything. Which is, incidentally, why i'm asking how to switch it. I want to see that alternate dialogue for myself.

Dominic Tarason
02-02-2012, 05:27 PM
The developers then said it wasn't meant to be that offensive, and I became less sure if they meant it to be satire.

The developers - who are Polish - said they didn't know that the English script really was that salty. The writer - who is American, and writes comics that I believe Kieron is quite a fan of - certainly knew what he was writing, and yes, it's meant to be very tongue-in-cheek.

SirKicksalot
02-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Nope. I couldn't find anything. Which is, incidentally, why i'm asking how to switch it. I want to see that alternate dialogue for myself.

There is an option. I can't remember where but I know it's there because I played with it activated in my second playthrough. Sometimes it just beeps words, sometimes it replaces them with funny sounds or different words.

Gnoupi
02-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Options > Game > Mature Language, for me.

(incidentally, if you have specific gaming questions in the future, there's also the Q&A site http://gaming.stackexchange.com) (well, it's also a game in itself, mostly)

DigitalSignalX
03-02-2012, 07:25 AM

(incidentally, if you have specific gaming questions in the future, there's also the Q&A site http://gaming.stackexchange.com) (well, it's also a game in itself, mostly)

wow, thanks for that link. Bloody brilliant.

Kollega
03-02-2012, 10:00 AM
I think my problem is that i'm playing the Russian version of a game, and there is no option called "(Im)Mature Language". There is some stupid option about "crouch protection", which i faintly suspect might be the needed option suffering from Blind Idiot Translation, but not what i'm looking for.

Screwie
03-02-2012, 10:15 AM

That is an excellent site. I've been a long-time lurker at their P&P rpg equivalent (http://rpg.stackexchange.com/), they're really helpful for rules clarifications among other things.

Harlander
03-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Reminds me of that old shareware game, Traffic Department 2012, where you were given the option at the beginning as to how spicy the dialogue would be.

Caleb367
03-02-2012, 03:01 PM
But... but WHY? I nearly tripled my depot of swears thanks to General Sarrano only!

Jockie
03-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Tough lady character

"You shit piles give chase, I will kill your dicks!"

Tough Marine guy

"Wait, what does that even mean? You're gonna Kill my dick? I'll kill your dick!"

It's ludicrous tongue in cheek nonsense and I heartily endorse it.

Althea
03-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Only works if you listen to Jen Hale and Steve Blum do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV7IxT9KVyg

Caleb367
03-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Reminds me of that old shareware game, Traffic Department 2012, where you were given the option at the beginning as to how spicy the dialogue would be.

Lol. I remember that, I played from start to finish specifically to check out the plot and the insults.

Hensler
04-02-2012, 06:42 PM
The developers - who are Polish - said they didn't know that the English script really was that salty. The writer - who is American, and writes comics that I believe Kieron is quite a fan of - certainly knew what he was writing, and yes, it's meant to be very tongue-in-cheek.

Rick Remender. The best writer at Marvel today - sorry, Kieron :).