PDA

View Full Version : Joystick calibration issues.

Capt. Eduardo del Mango
02-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Right, so my Speedlink Black Widow joystick started playing up. I'm not sure when it started it, but I noticed that the PC was determining the axis had reached full deflection before the joystick had got all the way to the end of its range of movement. I get 'full lock' according to the data at around about 80% of the physical X, Y and Z axis, although that's not exact and it varies a bit.

Anyhoo, as I've started playing Il-2 again and you can't do HOTAS on the Black Widow, I got hold of a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro - and it did exactly the same thing. The old Microsoft Sidewinder I've got lying around, however, works fine. I've installed drivers, reinstalled drivers, downloaded the Logitech calibration settings removal tool and it's still doing it. My Google-Fu is also weak and I can't arrange the words "joystick calibration axis range of movement limit problem" in any way that doesn't throw up a million different issues.

So... Any ideas, dudes?

Cheers,

-Eduardo

Odeon
02-02-2012, 07:52 PM
I see you've already posted this issue on the Logitech forums, but with no responses so far. Have you tried contacting Logitech Support directly about the issue?

I think I have the same joystick, packed away somewhere because I haven't needed it for some time, but it's a nice one for pretty low cost. I don't remember ever having any issues like what you're describing and since it's happening with two different joysticks, I doubt it's a hardware issue. The different devices are all from different manufacturers, so totally different drivers are needed for each, right?

What game were you playing when you first noticed the problem with your Black Widow? And if you've got a Sidewinder already, why did you decide to buy an Extreme 3D Pro instead of using it?

Capt. Eduardo del Mango
02-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Heyo Odeon,

Nope, haven't got hold of Logitech Support yet but will do soon. As you say presumably it's not the joystick itself, but they may have an idea. Yeah, the Extreme 3D Pro's pretty good for a 30-ish one that'll lose its centering before too long. I first noticed it in Il-2 1946, but Windows (I'm on 7) reports the same thing in Control Panel - the joystick reports being at 100% of the axis when physically it can still move a little bit more. Oh, and the Sidewinder's my friend's - borrowed it when the Black Widow started playing up, and asumed it was hardware.

Odeon
02-02-2012, 08:24 PM
What's really stumping me is that the Black Widow does the same thing. Is it the same 80% on all three axes for both joysticks?

Capt. Eduardo del Mango
02-02-2012, 08:30 PM
No, not quite, and it varies across the same axis - left X axis data stops increasing vs physical slightly sooner than the right on the Logitech. It's like they're not fully calibrated, but as far as I can see I've done everything (drivers, setup in Windows) as per usual.